Page 1

*_The Buckley Family History _*    *_George Warren Buckley_* was born April 9, 1872 in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and died August 31,  1956 in Lincoln, NE. His father was John Warren Buckley was born November 16, 1841 in Albany, New  York and died January 31, 1915 is buried at Byron, Minnesota. His father farmed. His mother Lizzie died  when George was 7 years old. John remarried a lady by the name of Julia Betsy Austin. Her brother was  in the Civil War. She died and then he remarried a lady named Mc Peek. George never inherited a cent  from his father. Widow Mc Peek had 2 farms near Rochester, MN. He had a sister named Mary Emma  Smith who lived in New Haven township, Michigan.. She was born at Mallahyde, Ontario April l,1865.and  married William S. Smith on 9‐2‐1884 in Brantford, Ont. Moved to New Haven Township in 1893. She  was active in the WCTU. They had 1daughter, Eva Murdock of Owasso, Michigan, 3 sons: Glen of New  Haven, Roy and Orlo of Flint, Michigan. She died at 84 years in 1949.  He supposedly had half sisters and brothers but not sure and no information regarding this.    */_ _/_Mabel Florence Shelton_* was born August 27, 1892 in Dryden, New York and died December  12, 1954. She was a maid and a housewife.    Her father: William Shelton came from Dryden, N.Y. Harry thought he had been a policeman, collected  taxes and supervisor of roads. Grandma Shelton whose name was Lizzie died 12‐22‐12, one year before  Harry was born.    Grandfather Shelton had a brother, William who worked in a store in Minneapolis or St. Paul as a janitor.  Mary said that Grandfather John Shelton and his brother opened a pool hall in St. Paul.    Grandpa Shelton remarried a lady by the name of Mabel but she went by the name of Belle. She had a  daughter previously and her name was Erma. To this union, were born Amy, William, and David. They  lived by the fairgrounds in St. Paul. Harry said that Erma begged on the streets. Amy married a man who  worked at Montgomery Wards and was an Italian and a nice man. Her youngest daughter is Eva.    The Shelton parents are buried in the Lakewood Cemetery in Minneapolis, MN.    Grandpa Shelton was taking care of horses for Mr. Savage who owned race horses. Dan Patch was the  name of a great race horse that they trained. Grandma was a maid in the house.    Mabel Shelton Buckley had two brothers: l. Arthur Lee graduated from Dryden High school in 1900 and  lived in Conn. 1 year and then moved to Minneapolis. He worked as a street car motorman, then went  to No. D.. in 1906 as a school teacher in Wells, County for 31 years. He was principal of schools in Wells,  Sheridan and Mc Lean Counties. In 1930 he moved to Bowden and was in the hotel business namely,  Golden West Hotel. In 1934 he was appointed postmaster until his death. Funeral was June2, 1936..  Seward was a mortician. Think it was in Fessenden, N. D. He was an alcoholic and that is the cause of his  death. Lived in Minneapolis too.   

George Warren Buckley was a chauffeur for the family of Pillsbury’s and Sheffield’s in Minneapolis.  These had grain and flour mills. George was taking Mrs. Pillsbury somewhere and a difference of opinion  occurred and he just left her there and quit.. He said she was often very drunk. He had to go to Detroit  and learn all about the cars before he took them back to Minneapolis and he was one of the first  chauffeurs in Minneapolis. He took Packard cars and showed coachmen how to drive them. Brought a  car to Dunwoody School. Mother Buckley was a maid there.    They lived in Minneapolis at 27^th and Stevens Ave.. by Lester’s. Then at 26^th and Nicollet by Thayer’s.    They moved up to Mahtowa for about nine years and George cleared about 20 acres of timber and they  built a house and a chicken coop. There were no animals there, no machinery or tools when they  arrived. George continued to go to Minneapolis. to work and spent vacations or a month or so at  Mahtowa and left Mabel with the children there for three years. It was quite an Adventist community in  that area. They sold cream to people in the country. The boys hunted and stored the meat in a corner in  the cellar where it was cold. One of their neighbors was Pearl Nelson’s family. Harry and Betty went to  school in Barnum, MN.    Mr. Sheffield wanted George to buy a place close to the city for $2500‐$3000. George got $125‐150 a  month in wages from the Sheffield’s which was good money at that time.. Sheffield was a hard man to  work for. He drank a lot and during prohibition would go to bars called pig __?___ and Mrs. Sheffield  would call George to go get him or find him at all hours of the night.    The Sheffield’s owned property at Marine, MN. just out of Stillwater and had built a large log home  there, which in those days cost over $50,000.00. They had George Buckley live there in another house  with his family and he was the caretaker of this property. They had a fish hatchery, a nursery and it was  a gorgeous spot right on the St. Croix River. They attended church in Stillwater.    They later moved to 1007 Newton Avenue N., Minneapolis, Minn. where George was the caretaker of a  Jewish apartment house. George was very diligent in his work whatever it was. He would not leave there  to come to Jim and my wedding as the lawn had to be watered and he had to watch out for kids. While  here one time while lighting the incinerator, it exploded and George was burned quite badly on his face  and he was actually saved by a bum who had been sneaking into the laundry area at nights to sleep and  keep warm. This bum pulled him away and called the fire department.    After Mabel passed away, George spent time with Harry’s family, then Betty, and then Jim’s family and it  was while at Jim’s that he died. He awoke the morning of Oct. 30 and the children said “Grandpa is  downstairs exercising his arms as his shoulder hurts”. Jim took him to Dr. Chester Norman’s office and  while the doctor was taking an EKG, the line went straight… The funeral was held in Minneapolis and he  was buried    To this union was born: l. John born ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐? Died from a mastoid infection at age 7 when they lived by old  garbage disposal plant. 

2..Harry born 8‐10‐1911 in Hosp. in Minneapolis Died: 11‐18‐1994 Buried at Ft. Snelling, St. Paul, Mn.    3. Mary born 12‐22‐1912 in Hosp. in Minneapolis    4. Alice born 5/22/16 Died when 2 months old.    5. George Culver born 12‐27‐1914 in Mpls .Died ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐in Seattle, Wa.    6. Betty Julia born 8‐9‐1917 in Mpls. Died 7‐29‐2008 at Hendersonville, N.C.    7. James Howard born 3‐29‐1926 in Mahtowa, MN. at home. Dr. Blakely was the doctor Died: Sept. 24,  1982 Buried in Grandview Cemetery Ft. Collins, Co..    *Harry* married Lu Verne 12‐6‐34 who was born 11‐19‐1913 and died ‐‐‐‐‐‐To this union were born:    l. Eleanor: Born ‐‐‐‐‐1934    2.Terry: Born ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ 1938    3. Sharon : Born 8‐12‐41    4. Lynn: Born: 10‐24‐1950    Harry was a printer in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Is buried at Ft. Snelling, MN. He had been in the Navy  during WWII. A book “_A Matter of Conscience_” by P. Harold Purvis was written about his experience  being court martialed etc. for keeping the seventh day Sabbath. Lavern was a Catholic and Harry had not  been keeping the 7^th day Sabbath until he went into the navy. Later Laverne was baptized and joined  Harry in keeping Sabbath.    *Mary* married Woodrow Mc Cauley To this union were born:    l. Tom: Born 3‐20‐1933    2. Pat: Born 3‐15‐1934 Died 8‐17‐2006 at Elkton, Michigan    3. Mary Jo: Born 5‐9‐1935 Died 12‐8‐2003 in Oceanside, Ca.    Mary remarried Ray Gillander who was born 3‐13‐1912. Ray was am executive chef and they traveled a  lot. She and Ray worked together quite often. He worked for the Rockefellers opening the Jackson Hole  Lodge, went over to St. John and St. Thomas Islands; worked for the Tucson Golf club which was  sponsoring Jack Nicklaus, helped with parties for Lucille Ball, John Wayne and other Hollywood Stars. 

Lastly worked for Holiday Inn Owner which was his best kitchen ever, according to Ray. Ray; died in  1998.    *George* married when he was about 30 years old to Mazie (Butterfield) Rose. Mazie was born 8‐27‐ 1914 and had been married to Chuck Rose previously and died 7‐‘87 To this union was born:    1. “Mickie” Mazie born 1‐5‐1953    George did not like the Mahtowa area and that his parents moved up there in the sticks and did not get  along with his father very well so left home when he was about 14 years old. He tells that it was because  of his “mother not having enough money to buy shoes for them and giving it all to the church” but the  siblings tell it differently. Any way, he hitched a ride on the train and had a lot of experiences before  reaching Seattle, Wa. He worked on a boat that went to Siberia and they were trading for furs for 3  months. A lady by the name of Katie Dunn took him in and treated him like her son for years. She ran a  boarding house. She gave him a ’34 coupe and a house with a $25,000 mortgage. Mazie and she did not  get along. He went up to Seward, Alaska with a fellow name Mike Silas and helped with mining. Mike  left George $20,000.00 in his will.    George tells of how so many were so kind to him. A fellow named Bertie Collins gave him $5,000.00.  George worked for the Frederick and Nelson Department store for 42 years delivering merchandise to  customers. He had customers such as Weyerhouser and she would often give him money. A Mrs. Clark  paid for Mazie’s hospital bill which amounted to $12,000. At one time he drove a taxi cab and drove it  for awhile. George loved politics and ran for county commissioner against Glenn Cunningham and lost.  He was a staunch Democrat. George started having dementia and Mickie put him into a care facility and  she took very good care of him until his death.    *Betty* never married. She went to Barnum High school and graduated in 35. Took Secretarial science  at Stillwater High School. Worked for NYA National Youth Administration. Met Betty Fleming in  Stillwater, MN. and were friends and companions until Betty Flemings death. Betty was baptized in  1936. She worked for sometime in a shoe factory. Went to Union College and worked in the business  office for Mr. Keene. Was very homesick. She did not graduate as when in college, she was asked to be a  secretary for the Seventh day Adventist denomination and went to Minneapolis and worked at the  conference office there, then to Ft. Worth, Texas., then to Seattle, WA. The two Bettys went to  Singapore for 7 years and then returned and worked for the general Conference of SDA in Washington,  D.C. until they both retired and moved to Hendersonville, N. C.    When in Singapore she worked for the treasurer of the South Eastern Division and did payroll in many  different currencies. Betty died 7/29/08 at 91 years of age and ashes are buried in Hendersonville, North  Carolina    *James* Howard married Lois Mc Taggart on 6‐15‐1947 at Campbell, MN.and to this union were born:   

l. Bruce Lynn who was born on 3‐16‐1949 in Denver, Colorado    2. Brenda Sue who was born on 3‐16‐1949 in Denver, Colorado    3. Kevin James who was born on 12‐23‐1955 in Lincoln, Nebraska    4. Rhett Allan who was born on 6‐19‐1957 in Lincoln, Nebraska    James Howard was born at home in Mahtowa, Minnesota and attended grade school at a little country  school house and that is where he learned to play the harmonica.. Then they moved back to Stillwater  and then to North Minneapolis. He went to the Jr. Academy in Minneapolis. and then attended  Maplewood Academy in Hutchinson, Minn. for two years. He did not graduate. He was inducted into the  army and attended boot camp in Texas and then went to Camp Beale in Calif.    He had trouble with his heart racing and feeling faint at those times and told the officers that when  inducted but they took him into the army anyway. When he was going to ship out to go possibly  overseas, he was called out of rank and told to report to the hospital. He spent the rest of his time there  until medically discharged. He went to college the second semester of 1946 and got his GED and  attended the first semester that fall at Union College in Lincoln, NE. The Veteran’s Administration told  him to report to the VA Hospital there in Lincoln for observation and he was there too long to continue  with school. It was while there that they diagnosed him as having Wolfe‐ Parkinson‐White syndrome.  While at the hospital, he was so bored and saw a fellow fixing watches in the basement and that perked  his interest in pursuing that vocation. He married Lois Mc Taggart at Campbell, Minnesota on June 15,  1947 and they went to Denver, Co. and he attended the school of horology and then took an extra  course in engineering. He graduated in horological engineering in 1949. He moved back to Lincoln and  pursued that vocation. He received an allotment monthly due to his heart condition of $60.00 and he  and Lois lived on this when he was in school. Lois worked to help first at Montgomery Wards as a order  clerk and then a pricer in the mail order division and later worked at Firestone Tire & Rubber as  secretary to the credit manager until into her first pregnancy. Jim worked for a short time part time at a  greenhouse on Bates Avenue that was by their apartment in Englewood, Co. Jim rented a spot on South  Street in Lincoln and tried to have a business repairing watches but with little cash flow, had to abandon  that. He started working as a psychiatric aide at the State Hospital on the morning shift and was able to  pick up some work at a local jeweler downtown Lincoln for awhile. Then he wanted to try to have his  own business again and bought a store called the Diamond Shop on the corner of 14^th and O Streets in  Lincoln. The store building was sold and he had to move to the VA Bldg. on 11^th St. At this time Zales  came into town and they were able to sell to the customers what we were paying wholesale so he was  making money just on his repair work so decided to work in the basement of his house on 49^th St. He  was doing trade work (repairing watches for other jewelers across NE. Kans. etc.) In about 1960 he  bought out a store which used to be Morse’s on 48th St. and worked there until 1964.. He decided to  get out of the heat and humidity of Lincoln and moved to Ft. Collins, 1964. He bought a garage  there on Pine Street and wanted to open a pawn shop and do watch repair for the trade again. The mail  service was not conducive for this and he had been burglarized so gave that store up and went to work 

for Colorado State University doing whatever as they needed someone that could do fine intricate work.  He made models for buildings to be built such as the Johns Manville, Sun Tower, World Trade Buildings.  These were tested in the wind tunnels there at the university. He made meters to measure the amount  of water taken off rivers due to wind shear, a forced chicken feeder, a bacterial chamber to be inserted  into a cow. These are just examples of what he was doing at the foothills campus. Then in 1975 he went  to the main campus and was the head of the instrument shop for the physics department. He started  with larger equipment here like lathes, etc. He taught the professors how to use machines as well as the  students with projects. He had people of all cultures and nations as students. His boss said on one of his  evaluations, ”He’s the one we go to for all the answers.” After Jim’s death, they named the instrument  shop for him.    James died September 24, 1982 shortly after going to bed on the 23^rd . Lois found him in the morning.  No autopsy was done but he had generalized discomfort t in his chest all day the day before and had  seen the doctor and he thought it was either esophagitis or angina and even with Lois's urging, Jim  would not go to the hospital and said he was feeling better when he went to bed. He is buried at  Grandview Cemetery in Ft. Collins.    *Harry’s children*: 1.*Eleanor* born ____________Married_________ Adopted two children: Jennifer  & Gregg Divorced and remarried ________Schroeder.    2. *Terry *born______, married Karen___________ and adopted two girls Debbie and Dawn    3. *Sharon* born 8/12/________married Don Coleman and had two children: Paige & Bradley    4. *Lynn* born_________ married Dale Rosette and had three girls, Christine, Allison and Amy.    *Mary’s children*: *Tom* born 3/20/1933 Married Shirley Barden 11/27/1954 and had three boys:    Tommy W. born10/10/1955 Married Kelly Hall 2/8/79 Had 3 children : Tommi Dawn born 5/14/79,  Dennis Carl 11/1/85 John Franklin Gerald D. Married Elizabeth Woosley 8/31/91    Gerald “Gerry” born 12/30/1956    Dennis 1/5/1959 Died in car accident 9/11/1978    *George’s child*: *Mazie* born 1‐5‐1953 “Mickie” never married. Took the interior decorating course  but has worked for PEMCO Insurance. Lives in Edmunds, Wa.    *James’s children:*.    *Brenda* married Jim Davis Eveland at Breckenridge, Co. 8/16/1993 No children   

*Bruce* married Cheryl Tachenko at Ft. Collins, Co. 8/20/1972; Cheryl was born 6/261953. Had two  boys: Seth Levi born 9/17/1977 and Grant Preston born May 3,1979.    *Kevin* married Kelly Anne Jennings on 8/31/1980 at Norwalk, Ca. Kelly was born 11/6/ 1959. They had  one daughter, Britt Janay born 8/17/1981.Divorced 12/21/1981.    Kevin married Sheryl Fraser on February 24, 1985 at Grand Terrace, Ca. Sheryl was born 1/15/56. They  had two children: Alysse Renae born: 1/16/1987 and Cameron James born 1/30/1990 at Loma Linda, Ca.    Britt married Jonathan “Jonno” Louwrens on 12/7/2002 . They had one boy Carter United born  1/4/2006 in Australia.Another son, Cade Phoenix born Feb. 4, 2009 in Australia also.    *Rhett* married Ronna Rae Kulm 11/26/1978 at Campion, Colorado. They had two boys: Benjamin Allan  born May 12, 1984 in Denver, Co. Benjamin had a daughter, Trinity born 11/14/2003. Trinity’s mother is  Danielle Halte born 12/31/84. Bryce James born 2/27/1986 in Denver, Co.    Side Lines:    Eli and Lorraine Caron who live at 16 2^nd St., Proctor, Mn. Ph:218 624 0262 . Lorraine and George Sr.  are cousins. Eli was a boilermaker for Steam locomotives. Their cousins were railroad engineers of ore  cars. Laura Mc Farland is at Edmunds, Wa. and is Eli’s sister. Lives at 323 2^nd Ave. S. Apt. 1, Phone(206)  778‐6689 They said George built bridges for railroads. I don’t think this was George Warren Buckley    When Alice was born she was given milk from a colored lady 

The Buckley Family History  

The Buckley Family History