Issuu on Google+

Part 2: I wanted the character of ‘Katie’ as my main poster as she was the one perceived as the demon child. I wanted to make her look possessed so to do this I blackened the eyes and made the skin pasty with veins coming through. I used a close up as my main image as this creates an uncomfortable feeling; close ups are usually used in real life horror posters. Close ups also show a lot of detail and emotion (if intended). As you can see the mouth is very stern and sullen as I want the audience to interpret that she has no life inside her. So that I didn’t draw any attention from the main image, I kept the title and subtitles as simple as possible but used an appropriate font and size to keep it looking professional. As our target audience is mainly female, I included a film review as women are interested in more factual things as well as an appealing image. I used very dark dreary colours on the main image so that I could get away with using a plain white font over the top. The lighting is very low key as she is meant to look trapped or as if she has risen from the dead in her coffin. The lighting can create a give off a whole different genre, for example comedy posters would use high key lighting and stereotypically, horror posters use low key lighting. There is no particular location in my poster; the picture was taken from a bird’s eye view of me lying down on the floor. I wanted to use this technique so that my hair would splay out all over the floor to make it look as though I was floating. It was taken face on to emphasise the facial features and to make it look as though the image was staring at the audience. I had not planned what I was wearing for this photo-shoot as originally this image was just a trial one, but once I started editing and putting all the effects together, I managed to edit the neck area and make it look as though I was wearing an item of clothing that I didn’t even own. I intended on wearing something such as a nighty or a collared shirt but I don’t think it would have been noticeable anyway because I knew I wanted to use a close up as my main image.

This is my before and after of my trailer poster compared to a real life poster


For my magazine cover I used high key lighting for my main image but cut out the background so that I could insert a dark background instead. To make it look more professional I added in a spotlight in the background so it looked as though the main image was high key lit because of the spot light. This made everything stand out more from the sub headings to the main image. Horror magazines usually have only a few types of main images, either a character from the film, a stereotypical fan or the cheesy directors shot. I chose to use a stereotypical fan so that it appealed to the age and gender range of our target audience. To make the main image a little bit more interesting I added a touch of blood to the face and neck. This instantly lets the audience know what the magazine will be mainly about before reading any of the sub headings. Just like my poster, the clothes were not planned but I felt as though the spontaneous picture would appeal more to the mainstreamer audience. I chose to take the picture straight on, profile view as I find that magazines with cheesy poses on the front cover appeal to the younger generation such as children/young teenagers. This allowed the magazine cover to be taken more seriously and included enough of the person to show how they were dressed but close enough so that you could see their facial expressions. So that the editing process was a lot easier, I took the picture against a blank white wall so that it was easy to cut my stereotypical fan out. Putting text over a busy location can sometimes make it hard to read. I knew I wanted to have a colour scheme of red, black and white so I needed t background where they would be visible over the top. When white crossed over white or black crossed over black, I simply added a glowing outline to the text to make it pop out. A lot of real life covers include freebies so to make mine look as real as possible I included a freebie of my final poster to help link the two together.

Here is a before and after of my magazine cover compared to a real life magazine cover.


I think my poster and magazine cover would appeal to my chosen target audience. The colour scheme is very simple and both of the images are of females. This does not always appeal to women but in this case it does as the images of females are not stereotypical airbrushed, half naked pictures. The intended audience we was aiming for was a fashion conscious, mainstreamer female so the main image for my magazine cover is of a contemporary teenager with added effects of blood and gore. The effects are not too graphic which is what appeals to our target audience. I chose total film for my magazine publisher as this is the more mainstream film magazine compared to Empire magazine. I did not use a tag for my magazine poster as sometimes these can come across as too cheesy, I didn’t think that this would appeal to my target audience as females are not interested in cheesy horrors. I included a lot of stories on my magazine cover as females like to know what they are getting when they buy a magazine. Males are stereotypically interested in the pictures inside.


final evaluation part 2