sefa information brochure 2013-2014
study association for economics and business university of amsterdam
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
SEFA HAS BEEN THE STUDY ASSOCIATION FOR ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF ASMTERDAM SINCE 1922. IT IS OUR GOAL TO ADD AN EXTRA DIMENSION TO THE LIVES OF OUR 4500 MEMBERS BY ORGANIZING DISTINCTIVE ACTIVITIES IN FOUR KEY DOMAINS: ACADEMIC, CAREER, INTERNATIONAL AND SOCIAL.
MESSAGE FROM THE BOARD
THE SEFA BOARD CONSISTS OF SEVEN MEMBERS WHO DEDICATE A FULL YEAR TO MANAGING ONE OF THE LARGEST STUDY ASSOCIATIONS OF THE NETHERLANDS. THE FULL-TIME POSITIONS OF THE BOARD ARE: CHAIRMAN, SECRETARY, TREASURER, HR OFFICER, MARKETING OFFICER, COMMERCIAL OFFICER AND PROJECT OFFICER. APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2013-2014 BOARD START IN MARCH 2013.
Study association Sefa supports all students of the UvA’s Faculty of Economics and Business. We provide them a platform to develop in several ways and offer numerous services in connection with their study. Throughout the year Sefa accommodates activities for students of all years and disciplines. Through participating in these activities, we provide students with great opportunities to broaden their academic horizon, which can be of great value in their future careers. Our portfolio consists of 60 yearly events, all organized by our active members. Through organizing such a project members gain and develop their organizational, communication and teamwork skills. These are practical skills that they may not develop trough study alone. Furthermore, we also offer some great advantages for non-active members such as discounts on books and syllabi and free participation in our events. You can find more information about our activities and services in this brochure. As a chairman of this year’s board, I can strongly recommend you to take full advantage of your university experience and I hope that Sefa can make a meaningful contribution to it! Kind regards, Merel van Geel CHAIRMAN SEFA BOARD 2013-2014
BENEFITS OF A SEFA MEMBERSHIP B
EING A MEMBER OF SEFA COMES WITH A LOT OF ADVANTAGES. FOR AS LITTLE AS 10 EUROS PER YEAR, YOU GET REWARDED WITH BENEFITS THAT FAR EXCEED THE COST OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP.
HIGH DISCOUNTS ON YOUR STUDY BOOKS
FREE PARTICIPATION IN OUR CAREER EVENTS
As one of the country’s largest study associations, we are in a good position to offer you the best deals for study books. As a member, you receive discounts at the Sefa Store that are as high as 20-25%. Furthermore, because we know exactly what literature you’ll need, we are able to timely provide you with the right books, delivered at home! Moreover, as a Sefa member you receive a discount on your syllabi.
Each year, Sefa organizes prestigious career events like the Amsterdamse Carrière Dagen, Dutch Inhouse Tours, the Sefa Career Month and the Sefa Career Month Junior. These events are a perfect opportunity to come into contact with high-end employers, including most of the Dutch multinationals. As a member, you have free access to all events.
Check our website to become a member! sefa.nl
You cannot create experience. You must undergo it. ALBERT CAMUS
FREE PARTICIPATION IN THE SEFA CONFERENCE
DISCOUNT ON SEFA PARTIES
The Sefa Conference is our flagship academic event, at which hundreds of students can listen to and converse with prominent speakers from business and academia. This year’s theme of the Sefa Conference is ‘New Economic Thinking’. It will take place in ‘De Rode Hoed’. Again, members have free access.
A few times a year, we organize awesome student parties at venues such as Club Air and Jimmy Woo. As a member, you get attractive discounts on entrance fees.
GO FOR THE EXTRA DIMENSION!
hen you want to develop yourself more and make the most of your time as a student, you can become an active member by participating in one of our committees described on the following pages.
STRENGTHENING YOUR GRIP ON ACADEMIA
y organizing Academic events, Sefa provides an extra dimension by giving students the opportunity to get informed aboout and discuss current economic topics.â€™
STRENGTHENING YOUR GRIP ON ACADEMIA
ROOM FOR DISCUSSION
• Weekly interviews in the central hall of the FEB. • Former guests: Jeroen Dijsselbloem, Mario Draghi, Christine Lagarde. • Inviting guests, prepare interviews and arrange all backstage preparations.
• High standard conference. • Acquisition, promotion, location and contact with interesting speakers. • Decide on the economic theme and content with your committee. NOVEMBER 2013 - NOVEMBER 2014
SEPTEMBER 2013 - JUNE 2014; ROLLING ADMISSIONS
• Oldest faculty magazine of the Netherlands, established in 1953. Publishing five issues each year, distributed to 5,000 students. • Develop your interviewing and writing skills and deal with deadlines. Interview interesting people from the government and business world.
• Offering products and services to all students from the faculty. • Books, syllabi, other study material. • The ‘face’ of Sefa, get in contact with a lot of fellow students. NOVEMBER 2013 - OCTOBER 2014; ROLLING ADMISSIONS
SEPTEMBER 2013 - JUNE 2014; ROLLING ADMISSIONS
LIST SEFA (FACULTY STUDENT COUNCIL) 8H/WEEK
• Participates in the Faculty Student Council. • Representing the interests of students. • Writing principles and a party program. • Organize the election campaign. MARCH 2014 - AUGUST 2015
SUPPLEMENTARY CLASSES • Supplementary classes for Bachelor students. • Extra tutorials before the exams. • Provided in several study periods.
GETTING IN TOUCH WITH FUTURE EMPLOYERS
efa organizes different career activities that offer students the opportunity to orientate themselves on the job market and to bring them in contact with potential employers.
GETTING IN TOUCH WITH FUTURE EMPLOYERS INTERNSHIPS AND VACANCIES
AMSTERDAMSE CARRIÈRE DAGEN 16H/WEEK
Check the career department on our website for interesting internships and vacancies at top companies. New positions are updated on a daily base. This results in an up-to-date database!
• Largest, most prestigious career event of Amsterdam. • Collaboration between Sefa and Aureus (VU). • Acquiring companies, location, promotion. 4 days, 65+ high-profile organizations, 1400+ students. • JANUARY 2014 - MARCH 2015
A SELCTION OF THE COMMITTEES IN THE SEFA CAREER MONTH
SEFA CAREER MONTH COMMITTEE
AMSTERDAM MARKETING CHALLENGE
• Umbrella committee for the Amsterdam Marketing Challenge, Consultancy Event, Masters of Finance, Accountancy Tour, Responsible Career Event, International Career Event, Public Sector Days and the Sefa Conference. • Promotion and coordination. • Organization of multiple events. FEBRUARY 2014 - NOVEMBER 2014
• Amsterdam’s high-end marketing event, one day, three companies. • Collaboration between Sefa and Aureus (VU). • Work on real life cases during the event. • Acquiring companies, promotion, location. FEBRUARY 2014 - NOVEMBER 2014
CONSULTANCY EVENT 8H/WEEK
• Get into contact with four top strategy consultants. • Collaboration between Sefa, VSAE (Econometrics) and NSA (Physics). • Work on real life cases during the event. • Acquiring companies, promotion, location. FEBRUARY 2014 - NOVEMBER 2014
MASTERS OF FINANCE 8H/WEEK
• Prestigious event in finance. • 2 days with hotel stay, 4 companies, only the best finance students. • Work on real life cases during the event. • Acquiring companies, promotion, location. FEBRUARY 2014 - NOVEMBER 2014
BROADENING YOUR HORIZON IN A GLOBALIZING WORLD
n the world we live in, it is important to get experience with businesses and cultures abroad. Therefore, Sefa organizes several activities to provide an opportunity to gain this experience.
BROADENING YOUR HORIZON IN A GLOBALIZING WORLD
RESEARCH PROJECT 16H/WEEK (COMMITTEE) 8H/WEEK (CONSULTANT)
• Umbrella committee which coordinates participants in doing research with them in an upcoming economy. • Recruitment of participants, promotion, coordination. • Acquiring assignments from companies, desk and field research in chosen country. • Also possibility to participate in this event only as consultant. • Former countries: South Africa, Indonesia, India, Brasil and Vietnam. MAY 2013 - SEPTEMBER 2014
INTERNATIONAL WEEK 8H/WEEK
• Explore the Academic, Social and (Business) Cultural World. • Facilitate a week for students from 25 different countries all over the world. • Develop a global network. OCTOBER 2013 - SEPTEMBER 2014
SEFA MASTER ENTREPRENEURSHIP TRIP 10H/WEEK
SEFA STUDY TRIP 8H/WEEK
• Study trip for Bachelor students. • Choice of destination, creating a program, selection of participants. • Former destination: Athens, Istanbul & Budapest. MAY 2013 - APRIL 2014
INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROJECT 8H/WEEK
• Do research on food loss in Bangladesh. • Collaboration with the world’s largest NGO: BRAC • Visit relevant companies in the Netherlands • Do field work in Bangladesh for a month FEBRUARY 2014 - DECEMBER 2014
• Discover the world of entrepreneurship in a foreign country with a group of ambitious Master students • Start your own businesses to finance the trip. • Work together to create a program. OCTOBER 2013 - SEPTEMBER 2014
MEETING YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS
he social side of Sefa is well represented with monthly drinks, large parties at appealing venues across Amsterdam, a winter sports trip, weekends for active members, a beerpong event, a grand ball and much more. These activities offer active and passive members the chance to socialize and to get to know fellow students.
MEETING YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS
A.G.A.N. (AS GOOD AS NEW) 4H/WEEK
• 20 first-year students. • Perfect opportunity to meet new people as a brand new student on the faculty. • Easy going committee, social activities. OCTOBER 2013 - JULY 2014
FACULTY CAMP 8H/WEEK
• 3 days of camp for 250 first year students from the FEB. • Arranging location, program, promotion. Relation with the faculty. FEBRUARY 2014 - AUGUST 2014
WINTER SPORTS 4H/WEEK
• Sefa’s yearly winter sport trip. • Location, promotion and program. JULY 2013 – MARCH 2014
STUDENT PARTIES 8H/WEEK
• Organize a SEFAntastic party! • Location, promotion, hiring DJ’s and arranging a great evening program. • Former locations: Jimmy Woo, Escape and Hotel Arena. • Several parties per year. (START ORGANIZATION 3 MONTHS BEFORE)
SOCIAL COMMITTEE 4H/WEEK
• Team of six people who organize several events. • Among others: Grand Ball, Beerpong and Monthly drinks. OCTOBER 2013 - JUNE 2014
AND MORE... There are also other social activities to organize: • • • • •
Active members weekends. Teambuilding activities. Sefa Kingsday. Alumni events. Batavierenrace.
SEFA’S DIMENSIONAL LEARNING SQUARE SEFA’S ACTIVITIES ARE DIVIDED IN THREE LEVELS: • Bronze is the first and the least time consuming level. It is the most accessible way to give your time as a student an extra dimension and to meet fellow students. • Silver is for most active members of Sefa the second step in their career. It is a good way to develop yourself if you already gained some experience. • Gold is the level where we expect the most from our committee members. Keywords are: Experience, responsibility and challenge. Being a board member means that you are responsible for the dail y affairs of the association, which is a full-time job.
Academic List Sefa, Sefa Store Committee
Amsterdamse CarriĂ¨re Dagen
Sefa Career Month, Amsterdam Marketing Challenge Consultancy Event, Masters of Finance, International Career Event, Dutch Inhouse Tours
Sefa Career Month Junior
International Development Project, International Week, Sefa Study Trip, Sefa Master Entrepreneurship Trip
Sefa Conference Room for Discussion Faculty Camp
A.G.A.N., Almanac, Sefa Social Committee 1 & 2, Winter Sports, Queenâ€™s Day, Beerpong, Batavierenrace, Active Members Weekend 1 & 2
Rostra Economica, Voluntary Committee
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR SEFA MEMBERSHIP BECOME AN ACTIVE MEMBER!
YOUR PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT!
All of our 65 yearly activities are organized by our active members, a group of around 200 students of which you can also be a part! Organizing one of our activities by joining a committee is a great experience. You work in a team of motivated and ambitious fellow students, doing the things you will never experience in the classroom.
Develop your organizational and communicative skills in one of Sefaâ€™s committees. As a member of a team each person is responsible for one part of the organization of the high-standard events. Become experienced in how to manage projects at several levels and for different functions. Become the treasurer, arrange promotion, be responsible for the acquisition or keep the overview as the chairman.
Also check out our website www.sefa.nl and our Facebook -page
COME INTO CONTACT WITH WELL-KNOWN COMPANIES
MAKE YOURSELF AT HOME AT THE FACULTY AND IN AMSTERDAM
Get into contact with recruiters of high-end organizations and make sure they are present on your event!
You will be invited for all events that Sefa organizes during the year. Get to know the faculty and enjoy the facilities that Sefa has to offer you in the committee rooms and outside. Discover the nicest places in Amsterdam by participating in our various events and activities.
BUILD YOUR BUSINESS NETWORK You, being in contact with interesting people representing high standard companies, are building a great business network as an active member of Sefa. Also, by having contact with other ambitious students you will enjoy a great network during your study and afterwards.
If you are interested in becoming an active member, send an e-mail to email@example.com or walk by our office in REC E0.16. Regardless of the application period, we are always pleased to have a chat about your committee preferences and ambitions! Also check out our website (www.sefa.nl) and our Facebook page! Like us on Facebook and stay updated about all the events, recruitment periods for our committees, Sefa Store information and important faculty-news!
As an active member of Sefa you have the opportunity to develop different competences. With these competences you will grow as a person and explore your own potential. In addition to these advantages you will have an amazing time and meet a lot of interesting people. SOFIE JANSEN TRAINEE @ KLM COMMERCIAL OFFICER SEFA BOARD 2007-08
What is my role in a team? How do I solve problems? How much responsibility can I handle? What is my strong suit and which skills do I have to develop further? I learned the answers to these questions and more by organizing activities at Sefa. MATTHIJS HAKKERT BUSINESS ANALYST @ ACCENTURE CHAIRMAN SEFA BOARD 2007-2008
Organizational and leadership skills are paramount in order to succeed in your future career. Sefa will provide you the tools and the challenges to develop these skills and to successfully convert your ideas into projects together with like-minded people. And afterwards there are always people around for a beer. ROBERT BREUGELMANS STRUCTURED ACQUISITION FINANCE @ ING CHAIRMAN SEFA BOARD 2005-2006
We are constantly looking for outstanding talents combining competences and curiosity to join our team. Having done extracurricular activities is an important requirement for this. IMKE PETERS RECRUITER @ THE BOSTON CONSULTING GROUP
One thing is certain, participating in a committee of Sefa is a way to distinguish yourself from others on the labor market. KPMG recommends you strongly to join a committee of Sefa. MARJOLEIN SOTO ROCA RECRUITER @ KPMG
From experience we know that the skills you acquire as a committee member will really add value to your life, both professionally and personally. It will also give you a taste of what daily life in your future working environment may have in store for you. ROB SANDERS RECRUITER @ AKZONOBEL.
study association for economics and business university of amsterdam www.sefa.nl