sefa information brochure 2012-2013
study association for economics and business university of amsterdam
You create your opportunities by asking for them SHAKTI GAWAIN
MESSAGE FROM THE BOARD
THE SEFA BOARD CONSISTS OF SEVEN MEMBERS WHO DEDICATE A FULL YEAR TO MANAGING ONE OF THE LARGEST STUDY ASSOCIATIONS OF THE NETHERLANDS. THE FULLTIME POSITIONS OF THE BOARD ARE: CHAIRMAN, SECRETARY, TREASURER, HR OFFICER, MARKETING OFFICER, COMMERCIAL OFFICER AND PROJECT OFFICER. APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2013-2014 BOARD START IN MARCH 2013.
Study association Sefa is there to support all students of UvA’s Faculty of Economics and Business, and we do this in several ways. Sefa employs services and activities for students of all years and disciplines. Through participating in these activities, we provide students great opportunities to develop their skills, which can be of great advantage in their future careers. Our portfolio consists of 65 yearly activities, all organized by our committee members. By organizing these activities, committee members reap benefits that they could not have acquired by studying alone. Through organizing a project, you develop your organizational, communication and teamwork skills. However, we also offer some great advantages for non-active members, about which you can read more further in this brochure. As chairman of this year’s board, I advise you to take full advantage of all the things you can do in addition to your studies, and I hope that Sefa can make a meaningful contribution to it! Kind regards, Sebastiaan Klein CHAIRMAN SEFA BOARD 2012-2013
BENEFITS OF A SEFA MEMBERSHIP B
EING A MEMBER OF SEFA COMES WITH A LOT OF ADVANTAGES. FOR AS LITTLE AS 10 EURO PER YEAR, YOU GET REWARDED WITH BENEFITS THAT FAR EXCEED THE COST OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP.
HIGH DISCOUNTS ON YOUR STUDY BOOKS
FREE PARTICIPATION IN OUR CAREER EVENTS
As one of the country’s largest study associations, we are in a good position to offer you the best deals for st udy books. As a member, you receive discounts at the Sefa Store that are as high as 20-25%. Furthermore, we try to have everything in stock and know exactly which books you need. We arranged also a discount for our members on syllabi. Those syllabi are only available at the Sefa Store!
Each year, Sefa organizes (sometimes in cooperation with other study associations) prestigious career events like ‘Amsterdamse Carrière Dagen’, Dutch Inhouse Tours and the Sefa Career Month. These events are a perfect opportunity to come into contact with high-end employers, including most of the Dutch multinationals. As a member, you have free access to all events.
You cannot create experience. You must undergo it. ALBERT CAMUS
FREE PARTICIPATION IN THE SEFA CONFERENCE The Sefa Conference is our flagship academic event, at which hundreds of students can listen to and converse with prominent speakers from business and academia. This year’s edition of the Sefa Conference has ‘Power Corruption and Compliance’ as theme, and will take place in Felix Meritis. Again, members have free access.
DISCOUNT ON SEFA PARTIES A few times a year, we organize awesome student parties at venues such as Club Air and Jimmy Woo. As a member, you get attractive discounts on entrance fees.
Check our website to become a member! sefa.nl
GO FOR THE EXTRA DIMENSION!
hen you want to develop yourself more and make the most of your time as a student, you can become an active member by participating in one of our committees described on the following pages.
STRENGTHENING YOUR GRIP ON ACADEMIA
y organizing Academic events, Sefa provides an extra dimension by giving the opportunity to let students getting informed and discuss on current economic topics.
STRENGTHENING YOUR GRIP ON ACADEMIA ROOM FOR DISCUSSION
• Weekly discussions in the central hall of the FEB. • Former guests: Jan Kees de Jager, Klaas Knot, Jeroen van der Veer. • Inviting and interviewing guests. • Bringing your themes up for discussion. SEPTEMBER 2012 - JUNE 2013; ROLLING ADMISSIONS
• High standard conference. • Acquisition, promotion, location and contact with interesting speakers! • Decide on the economic theme and content with your committee. NOVEMBER 2012 - NOVEMBER 2013
ROSTRA ECONOMICA 6H/WEEK
• Oldest faculty magazine of the Netherlands, established in 1953. Publishing five issues each year, distributed to 5,000 students. • Develop your interviewing and writing skills and deal with deadlines. Interview interesting people from the government and business world. SEPTEMBER 2012 - JUNE 2013; ROLLING ADMISSIONS
LIST SEFA (FACULTY STUDENT COUNCIL) 8H/WEEK
• Faculty Student Council. • Representing the interests of students. • Writing principles and a party program. • Organize the election campaign. MARCH 2013 - AUGUST 2014
SEFA STORE 4H/WEEK
• Offering products and services to all students from the faculty. • Books, syllabi, other study material. • The face of Sefa, get into contact with a lot of people. NOVEMBER 2012 - OCTOBER 2013; ROLLING ADMISSIONS
SUPPLEMENTARY CLASSES • Supplementary classes for Bachelor students. • Extra tutorials before the exams. • Provided in several study periods.
GETTING IN TOUCH WITH FUTURE EMPLOYERS
efa organizes different career activities that offer students the opportunity to orientate themselves on the job market and to bring them into contact with potential employers.
GETTING IN TOUCH WITH FUTURE EMPLOYERS AMSTERDAMSE CARRIÈRE DAGEN 16H/WEEK
• Largest, most prestigious career event of Amsterdam. • Collaboration between Sefa and Aureus (VU). • Acquiring companies, location, promotion. 4 days, 65+ high-profile organizations, 1400+ students. JANUARY 2013 - MARCH 2014
DUTCH INHOUSE TOURS 8H/WEEK
• 20 in-house days for students all over the Netherlands. • Collaboration between Sefa, Aureus (VU) and EBF (Groningen). • Acquiring companies, promotion. SEPTEMBER 2012 - MAY 2013
INTERNSHIPS AND VACANCIES Check the career department on our website for interesting internships and vacancies at top companies. New positions are updated on a daily base. This results in an up-to-date database!
SEFA CAREER MONTH COMMITTEE 8H/WEEK
• Umbrella committee for the Amsterdam Marketing Challenge, Consultancy Event, Masters of Finance and the Sefa Conference. • Promotion and coordination. • Organization of Public Sector Days and Accountancy Tour. FEBRUARY 2013 - NOVEMBER 2013
COMMITTEES IN THE SEFA CAREER MONTH
AMSTERDAM MARKETING CHALLENGE 8H/WEEK
• Amsterdam’s high-end marketing event, one day, three companies. • Collaboration between Sefa and Aureus (VU). • Work on real life cases during the event. • Acquiring companies, promotion, location. FEBRUARY 2013 - NOVEMBER 2013
CONSULTANCY EVENT 8H/WEEK
• Get into contact with four top strategy consultants. • Collaboration between Sefa, VSAE (Econometrics) and NSA (Physics). • Work on real life cases during the event. • Acquiring companies, promotion, location. FEBRUARY 2013 - NOVEMBER 2013
MASTERS OF FINANCE 8H/WEEK
• Prestigious event in finance. • 2 days with hotel stay, 4 companies, only the best finance students. • Work on real life cases during the event. • Acquiring companies, promotion, location. FEBRUARY 2013 - NOVEMBER 2013
BROADENING YOUR HORIZON IN A GLOBALIZIN WORLD
n the world we live in, it is important to get experience with businesses and cultures abroad. Therefore, Sefa organizes several activities to provide an opportunity to gain this experience.
BROADENING YOUR HORIZON IN A GLOBALIZING WORLD
RESEARCH PROJECT 16H/WEEK
• Umbrella committee which coordinates participants in doing research with them in an upcoming economy. • Recruitment of participants, promotion, coordination. • Acquiring assignments from companies, desk and field research in chosen country. • Former countries: South Africa, Indonesia, India, Brasil. MAY 2013 - SEPTEMBER 2014
INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT PROJECT 8H/WEEK
• Do research about the Waste Management in India. • Collaboration with charity organization the Pellikaan. • Creating unique activities to acquire funds, intensify contacts. • Possibility of a long term stay in India. FEBRUARY 2013 - DECEMBER 2014
SEFA STUDY TRIP 8H/WEEK
• Study trip for Bachelor students. • Choice of destination, creating a program, selection of participants. • Former destination: Istanbul & Budapest. MAY 2013 - APRIL 2014
INTERNATIONAL WEEK 8H/WEEK
• Explore the Academic, Social and (Business) Cultural World. • Facilitate a week for students from 25 different countries all over the world. • Develop a global network. OCTOBER 2012 - SEPTEMBER 2013; ROLLING ADMISSIONS
MEETING YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS
he social side of Sefa is well represented with monthly drinks, large parties at appealing venues across Amsterdam, a winter sports trip, weekends for active members, a beerpong event, a grand ball and much more. These activities offer active and passive members the chance to socialize and to get to know fellow students.
MEETING YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS
Z.G.A.N. (ZO GOED ALS NIEUW) 4H/WEEK
• 20 first-year students. • Perfect opportunity to meet new people as a brand new student on the faculty. • Easy going committee, social activities. OCTOBER 2012 - JULY 2013
FACULTY CAMP 8H/WEEK
• 3 days of camp for 250 first year students from the FEB. • Arranging location, program, promotion. Relation with the faculty. FEBRUARY 2013 - AUGUST 2013
STUDENT PARTIES 8H/WEEK
• Organize a SEFAntastic party! • Location, promotion, hiring DJ’s and arranging a great evening program. • Former locations: Jimmy Woo, Escape and Hotel Arena. • Several parties per year. (START ORGANIZATION 3 MONTHS BEFORE)
SOCIAL COMMITTEE 4H/WEEK
• Team of 10 people who organize several events. • Among others: Grand Ball, Beerpong and Monthly drinks. OCTOBER 2012- JUNE 2013
There are also other social activities to organize:
• Sefa’s yearly winter sport trip. • Location, promotion and program. JULY 2012 – MARCH 2013
• • • •
Active members weekends. Teambuilding activities. Sefa Queensday. Alumni events.
SEFA’S DIMENSIONAL LEARNING SQUARE SEFA’S ACTIVITIES ARE DIVIDED IN THREE LEVELS: • Bronze is the first and the least time consuming level. It is the most accessible way to give your time as a student an extra dimension and to meet fellow students. • Silver is for most active members of Sefa the second step in their career. It is a good way to develop yourself if you already gained some experience. • Gold is the level where we expect the most from our committee members. Keywords are: Experience, responsibility and challenge. Being a board member means that you are responsible for the dail y affairs of the association, which is a full-time job.
Amsterdam Marketing Challenge/Career Month/ Consultancy Event/Dutch Inhouse Tours/ Masters of Finance/International Team
Één Dag Accountant
S i lv er
G ol d
d ol G
Amsterdamse Carrière Dagen
International Development Project/International Week/ R.P. -participants-/Sefa Study Trip
ol d G
Room for Discussion Sefa Conference
e Br on z Si lv er
er lv Si
List Sefa/Sefa Store 1 & 2
Active Members Weekend 1 & 2/Alumni/ Sefa Queen’s Day/Social Committee/Z.G.A.N.
z on r B
z on Br
GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR SEFA MEMBERSHIP BECOME AN ACTIVE MEMBER!
YOUR PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT!
All of our 65 yearly activities are organized by our active members, a group of around 200 students of which you can also be a part! Organizing one of our activities by joining a committee is a great experience. You work in a team of motivated and ambitious fellow students, doing the things you will never hear about in the classroom.
Develop your organizational and communicative skills in one of Sefaâ€™s committees. As a member of a team each person is responsible for one part of the organization of the high-standard events. Become experienced in how to manage projects at several levels and for different functions. Become the treasurer, arrange promotion, be responsible for the acquisition or keep the overview as the chairman.
Also check out our website www.sefa.nl and our Facebook!
COME INTO CONTACT WITH WELL-KNOWN COMPANIES
MAKE YOURSELF AT HOME AT THE FACULTY AND IN AMSTERDAM
Get into contact with recruiters of high-end organizations and make sure they are present on your event!
You will be invited for all events that Sefa organizes during the year. Get to know the faculty and enjoy the facilities that Sefa has to offer you in the committee rooms and outside. Discover the nicest places in Amsterdam by participating in our various events and activities.
BUILD YOUR BUSINESS NETWORK You, being in contact with interesting people representing high standard companies, are building a great business network as an active member of Sefa. Also, by having contact with other ambitious students you will enjoy a great network during your study and afterwards.
If you are interested in becoming an active member, send an e-mail to email@example.com or walk by our office in REC E0.16. Regardless of the application period, we are always pleased to have a chat about your committee preferences and ambitions! Also check out our website (www.sefa.nl) and our Facebook page!
As an active member of Sefa you have the opportunity to develop different competences. With these competences you will grow as a person and explore your own potential. In addition to these advantages you will have an amazing time and meet a lot of interesting people. SOFIE JANSEN TRAINEE @ KLM COMMERCIAL OFFICER SEFA BOARD 2007-08
One thing is certain, participating in a committee of Sefa is a way to distinguish yourself from others on the labor market. KPMG recommends you strongly to join a committee of Sefa. MARJOLEIN SOTO ROCA RECRUITER @ KPMG
Being part of a committee teaches you that the success of an organization depends on the initiatives that you and your team-members take. In a committee there is no teacher who tells you which chapter to read - just like in the rest of your career. PAUL HUIGENS ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND FORMER ACTIVE MEMBER SEFA
We are constantly looking for outstanding talents combining competences and curiosity to join our team. Having done extracurricular activities is an important requirement for this. IMKE PETERS RECRUITER @ THE BOSTON CONSULTING GROUP
What is my role in a team? How do I solve problems? How much responsibility can I handle? What is my strong suit and which skills do I have to develop further? I learned the answers to these questions and more by organizing activities at Sefa. MATTHIJS HAKKERT BUSINESS ANALYST @ ACCENTURE CHAIRMAN SEFA BOARD 2007-2008
From experience we know that the skills you acquire as a committee member will really add value to your life, both professionally and personally. It will also give you a taste of what daily life in your future working environment may have in store for you. ROB SANDERS RECRUITER @ AKZONOBEL.
study association for economics and business university of amsterdam www.sefa.nl