Photonics Marketplace and Assemby 7 June 2013, Sant Cugat del VallĂ¨s, Barcelona
OPTOSCANA the Photonics Cluster of the Tuscany region Roberto Pini OPTOSCANA coordinator and CNR Institute of Applied Physics www.optoscana.net
Tuscany: the Optoelectronics and Photonics Industrial Sectors
• Tuscany is traditionally a seat of a value chain in the fields of Optics, Photonics and Optoelectronics technologies. Moreover, this area offers a unique concentration of scientific know-how in these fields, represented by scientific University Departments and Research Centres of the National Research Council (CNR). The cluster includes also the Regional Aerospace industrial sector which plays a strategic role on key technologies mainly related to optoelectronics.
> 1 billion Euros (Italy: 9 BE)
Grow rate ∼ 7-10% per year
No. of enterprises: > 100 (Italy: 250)
Employees: ∼ 4000 (Italy: 15.000)
Industrial researchers ∼ 300 (Italy: 1.500)
Tuscany: some of the main companies working in the Photonics sector (presently Selex ES)
Tuscany: main Research Centers in the Photonics Field
• University of Florence • University of di Pisa • University of di Siena • Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa • Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa • Institute of Applied Physics (IFAC) – CNR, Sesto Fiorentino • National Institute of Optics (INO) – CNR, Florence • Institute of Complex Systems (ISC) –CNR, Sesto Fiorentino • Institute for Information Science and Tech. (ISTI) – CNR, Pisa • LENS, Sesto Fiorentino • CNIT, Florence and Pisa
Tuscany: main researches in the Photonics Field
Fundamental Researches in Photonics: • Quantum Optics and Complex
Applied Researches in Photonics: • Bio-Photonics and medical lasers
• Photonics for Space and Environment
• THz Photonics
• Photonics for Telecom and Silicon Ph.
• Photonics for Cultural Heritage
Tuscany: The Innovation Pole for Photonics and Space
In April 2011 the Government of Tuscany launched a call for 12 Poles of Innovation as regional organizations aimed at the technological transfer from research centers to SMEs. In July 2011, the Regione Toscana established as a legal entity the Innovation Pole:
on Optoelectronics and Photonics for Industrial, Biomedical and Space Applications ( Coordinated by CNR IFAC and supported with a budget of âˆź150 kE / year) 110 Partners: - 90 Enterprises, - 5 Universities, - 10 CNR Institutes - 5 other Research org.
4 Divisions: - Opto4Industry - Opto4Life - Opto4Space - Opto4Art
40 Public and Private Research Labs NB: the funding from RT is bound to the achievement of specific performances
Tuscany: Mission of the Innovation Pole for Photonics and Space •
The Cluster’s mission is to support the industrial research, the technological transfer and the market placement, with a in particular regard to small and medium enterprises.
Main Actions : •
Organization and Promotion of the Photonics Cluster of Tuscany by means of the services offered to local SMEs within a regional funding program called “Advanced and qualified services”, in three main areas: • Technological Area (scouting, prototyping, testing, certification, etc.) • Organization Area (marketing, international strategy, fund raising, etc.) • Training Area
Links with European Photonics Clusters
Participation to EU Initiatives, Technology Platforms and Programs involving National Platforms and Local Clusters ( e.g. ERANET+ in Biophotonics )
Photonics Clusters & Platforms in Europe
The Pole OPTOSCANA is part of the network of the EU Photonics Clusters, under the umbrella of the EC Photonics Unit
Source: Workshop on Smart Specialisation and Key Enabling Technologies: photonics and micro/nanoelectronics., Brussels 2th November 2012 DG CONNECT