GOLDEN EAGLE UPDATE March 10 - 18, 2014 - University of Minnesota Crookston Athletic Department The Next Two Weeks Baseball March 14 - vs. Hillsdale (9 a.m., Clearwater, Fla.) March 15 - vs. West Chester (8 a.m., St. Petersburg, Fla.) March 16 - vs. Slippery Rock (9 a.m., Clearwater, Fla.) March 16 - vs. Lock Haven (1 p.m., Clearwater, Fla.) March 18 - vs. Johnson (6 p.m., Clearwater, Fla.) Softball March 14 - vs. Ursuline (12 p.m., Clermont, Fla.) March 14 - vs. Alderson-Broaddus (4 p.m., Clermont, Fla.) March 15 - vs. Assumption (10 a.m., Clermont, Fla.) March 15 - vs. Slippery Rock (12 p.m., Clermont, Fla.) March 16 - vs. Ursuline (4 p.m., Clermont, Fla.) March 16 - vs. Merrimack (6 p.m., Clermont, Fla.) March 18 - vs. Sioux Falls (8 a.m., Clermont, Fla.) March 18 - vs. Indiana Tech (10 a.m., Clermont, Fla.) Men’s Golf March 17 - at Washburn Invitational (TBA, Topeka, Kan.) March 18 - at Washburn Invitational (TBA, Topeka, Kan.) Women’s Golf March 11 - vs. Bemidji State (TBA, Phoenix, Ariz.)
Recently IN GOLDEN EAGLE ATHLETICS - University of Minnesota Crookston women’s basketball player Katrina Moenkedick (So., F Perham, Minn.) was selected All-Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) Second Team as announced by the conference office Thursday. Moenkedick was an NSIC All-Freshman Team pick last season for the Golden Eagles and has shown marked improvement as a sophomore for the Golden Eagles. Moenkedick was the only player on the First or Second team who was an underclassmen. Moenkedick is the first player to earn AllNSIC Second Team honors since Brittani Wiese and Megan Eul garnered the recognition following the 2011-12 season. The sophomore forward averaged 15.3 points and 7.5 rebounds per game to lead UMC in both categories for the 2013-14 season. - The University of Minnesota Crookston tennis team picked up a split in non-conference matches March 1 in Minneapolis, Minn. The Golden Eagles defeated Bethany Lutheran College 9-0 and fell to Hamline University 5-4. The Golden Eagles were led on the weekend by the play of Katelyn Johnson (Sr., Monticello, Minn.), who went a perfect 2-0 in singles and a perfect 2-0 in doubles along with Catherine Brown (So., Powell Butte, Ore.). Johnson plays the No. 1 singles and doubles slot for Minnesota Crookston. The Golden Eagles are 2-7 on the season, just one win shy of their wins total from 2013. They are in their first year under head coach Kyle Anderson. - The University of Minnesota Crookston baseball team played three games against Mayville State University in Sabetha, Kan. March 7 and March 8. The Golden Eagles went 0-3 in the games but had several strong performances on the weekend including a great pitching performance from Richie Navratil (Sr., P, Blansko, Czech Republic). Navratil pitched a complete game for the Golden Eagles, giving up three earned runs on seven hits. Navratil had a shutout going into the eighth inning. In addition to Navratil, Ryan Haggstrom (So., C/1B/P, Apple Valley, Minn.) continues to be a force at the plate, hitting .455 (5-for-11) with one run scored on the weekend. Haggstrom was 4-for-4 in game three against the Comets. - The University of Minnesota Crookston Western Equestrian team ended the regular-season with a strong performance at a show at University of Wisconsin-River Falls. The Golden Eagles were led in the show by first-place finishes from Jenna Podnar (Sr., Luxemburg, Wis.) in Advanced Horsemanship, Amanda Guimont (So., Nowthen, Minn.) in Advanced Horsemanship and Jenny Tack (Fr., St. Bonifacius, Minn.). The next day at the IHSA Regional Championships, Shannon Salm (Jr., Larsen, Minn.) advanced to the Zone 7, Region 3 Semifinals with a second-place performance. - The University of Minnesota Crookston women’s basketball team ended their season in the first round of the NSIC/Sanford Health Tournament with a 106-63 loss to Minnesota State University. The Golden Eagles did have an improved season for the 2013-14 campaign. UMC reached 10 wins for the first time since the 2010-11 season when they went 13-14. Minnesota Crookston was 10-17 overall on the season and returns their core for the 2014-15 season including leading scorers Katrina Moenkedick (So., F, Perham, Minn.) and Alexa Thielman (So., G, Buffalo, Minn.), who will be only juniors next year. - The University of Minnesota Crookston men’s basketball team had their season ended in the first round of the NSIC/Sanford Health Tournament with a 76-60 loss to Minnesota State. The Golden Eagles went 4-23 on the 2013-14 season. The Golden Eagles did show improvement at times on the season led by the progression of Derrick Redd, Jr. (So., G, Menifee, Calif.), who averaged 10.2 points per game for Minnesota Crookston.
TEAMBACKER MEMBERSHIP UPDATE
- As of March 10, the UMC Teambackers have 167 members and have received $104,422 in cash and in-kind gifts.
GOLDEN EAGLE UPDATE March 10 -18, 2014 - University of Minnesota Crookston Athletic Department
UMC TEAMBACKERS STUDENT-ATHLETES OF THE WEEK For the Week of Feb. 27 - March 5
- Katelyn Johnson (Sr., Tennis, Monticello, Minn.) had an undefeated weekend for the Golden Eagles going a perfect 2-0 in singles on the weekend and a perfect 2-0 in doubles on the weekend paired with Catherine Brown. Johnson upended Hamline’s Emily Butler, 6-3, 6-1 in singles early Saturday and teamed with Brown to take down Leeanna Manthe and Jordan Danielson, 8-3 in doubles. Against Bethany Lutheran, Johnson defeated Marissa Teems, 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1 singles and teamed with Brown at No. 1 doubles to upend Teems and Morgan Schwatz, 8-1.
- Jesse Jennings (Jr., Baseball, Robbinsdale, Minn.) was chosen for his academic performance. Jennings maintains a 3.91 cumulative GPA in Criminal Justice. He hopes to attend law school once he earns his degree from University of Minnesota Crookston. Jennings had a 4.0 during the Fall semester, which earned him placement on the Chancellor’s 4.0 Club. He was also a member of the Dean’s List and has been an NSIC All-Academic selection.
- Matt Bjorgo (So., Men’s Golf, Crookston, Minn.) was chosen for his academic performance. Bjorgo maintains a 4.00 cumulative GPA in Information Technology Management and hopes to be a manager of information systems once graduating from University of Minnesota Crookston. Bjorgo had a 4.0 GPA during the Fall semester, which also earned him placement on the Chancellor’s 4.0 Club and on the Dean’s List. He is line to earned All-NSIC Academic recognition as a sophomore.
- Alexa Thielman (So., Women’s Basketball, Buffalo, Minn.), averaged 16.7 points per game in three games last week with 3.3 rebounds per contest. Thielman tallied eight points against St. Cloud State Friday. She followed that up with one of her strongest games of the year, going 7-of-12 from the field to finish with 23 points against Minnesota Duluth. Thielman had five threes on the game and added five rebounds. She tallied 19 points on 7-of-12 shooting with four threes and four rebounds Wednesday against Minnesota State. Thielman was one of the most improved players for the Golden Eagles during her sophomore season. Thielman finished the year averaging 15.2 points per game and shooting 46.0 percent from beyond the arc.
Derrick Redd, Jr. (So., Men’s Basketball, Menifee, Calif.) averaged 14.7 points per game in three games last week, along with 1.7 rebounds per contest. The sophomore guard tied his career high with 23 points on 10-of-15 shooting from the field against St. Cloud State Friday. He was 2-of-3 from beyond the arc. Against Minnesota Duluth, Redd added 15 points on 5-of-7 shooting and tallied three steals. He rounded out the week with six points and two steals against Minnesota State Wednesday. Redd showed dramatic improvement for UMC over the last two months of the season, averaging 16 points per game over the last 17 games of the season.