Nostalgia G ood N eighbors
At the close of the 19th century, New Haven was the largest and fastest-growing city in Connecticut — shaped by numerous economic and cultural shifts. The General Assembly enacted a compulsory school attendance law in 1872 and a child labor law in 1886. As a result, the percentage of children attending school in Connecticut was higher than ever before, increasing the need for well-prepared teachers. In response, New Haven State Normal School — which would ultimately evolve into Southern Connecticut State University — opened in Joining the community: The Skinner School, located on the corner of State and Summer streets, was home to the New Haven State Normal School from the fall of 1893 to the spring of 1896.
1893 in the Skinner School, located at the corner of State and Summer streets in New Haven. Today, 117 years later, Southern remains an integral part of the community. In addition to offering academic programs that meet the evolving needs of the workforce, Southern provides countless services to the community through initiatives such as the new Center on Autism Spectrum Disorders (see page 23) and, each year, places thousands of students, faculty, and staff members in the community as volunteers. In recognition of these efforts, Southern has received two prestigious awards. The first, inclusion on the 2009 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, is a federal recognition awarded to col-
Students participated in a campus cleanup day in 1954.
In 1939, the American Life Club collected toys, books, and games to be sent to the Newington Hospital for Crippled Children.
20 | Southern ALUMNI MAGAZINE
A magazine for alumni and friends of Southern Connecticut State University