Page 1


This handbook is provided to students and applicants for their general information and guidance only. It does not constitute a contract, either express or implied, and is subject to revision at the University’s discretion.


Introduction 6

Academic Information 10

Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault Policies 24 Financial Aid and Business Office Policies 30 Health, Wellness, and Safety 38

Information Technology Policies 54 Student Activities 58 Student Records 78

Student Services 84

Student-University Relations 98 Student Code of Conduct 104 Directory 106 Index 110

Building Abbreviations 116


Mary A. Papazian Bette Bergeron


Tracy M. Tyree

Executive Vice President

Robert J. Rennie

Vice President for Institutional Advancement

Robert G. Sheeley

Associate Vice President for Academic Student Services

Steven Breese

Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Student Affairs

James E. Blake


Robert L. Stamp

Vice President for Student Affairs

Kimberly M. Crone

Chief Information Officer

Peter F. Troiano

Associate Vice President for Capitial Budgeting and Facilities Operations

Stephen J. Hegedus

Dean, School of Arts and Sciences

Gregory J. Paveza

Dean, School of Business

Ellen D. Durnin

Dean, School of Education Dean, School of Health and Human Services Interim Dean, School of Graduate Studies


DEAR STUDENTS: elcome to Southern Connecticut State University! Your college career represents a beginning; it is a first step towards reaching your goals. The great American poet Muriel Rukeyser wrote, “Nourish beginnings, let us nourish beginnings. Not all things are blest, but the seeds of all things are blest. The blessing is in the seed.” Your time at Southern is the seed of your future, and we — the administration, faculty and staff — provide you with the support, the guidance and the inspiration that will nourish your beginning. The university itself is also planting seeds for the future, as extensive physical changes continue to take place on our campus. Our science programs will be greatly enhanced with the construction of a 103,608square-foot, four-level academic and laboratory science building, now well under way. Situated adjacent to Jennings Hall, the current home for the sciences, the new building will support the ongoing expansion of Southern’s science programs and the university’s capacity to educate more students in the STEM disciplines — science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Our other major construction project — the final stage of the Buley Library renovation – is also expected to be completed by fall 2015. But while the physical developments within the university are indeed exciting, the learning environment here is the cornerstone of a Southern education. You will have opportunities to meet students and faculty from across the nation and around the world. Beyond the classroom, you may find countless opportunities to broaden your perspective with lectures, plays, concerts, workshops and more. Off campus, discover New Haven, the cultural capital of the region, offering you the chance to take in the performing and visual arts, athletics, and, of course, the most celebrated pizza in the state! Make the most of the time you spend here with us at Southern. Pursue your dreams, and explore the myriad intellectual, social and creative opportunities before you. We are here to help you.

I wish you the very best for this new academic year and for those that lie ahead.


Mary A. Papazian, Ph.D. President




n behalf of the faculty and staff of Southern Connecticut State University, I would like to welcome you to a new academic year. If you are a new student enrolling in your first semester, we are thrilled to have you as a member of the Owl family! The Student Handbook is your guide to critical information at Southern! It includes great resources and information to help you have the best possible experience as a student. Whether you are a first-year student or in your last semester, you will benefit from becoming familiar with the many services and programs that can enhance your college experience. Southern maintains a strong commitment to principles of pluralism, mutual respect, and civility that support our ability to learn and grow together. The policies outlined in this handbook are designed to promote a supportive community in which everyone’s rights are respected and everyone’s educational goals can be achieved. College can be among the most impactful and memorable experiences you will ever have. Take the time to find your special niche. There is really no other time in your life when you can have access to so many programs, activities, and experiences to expand your interests, skills and expertise! Involvement in the life of the campus will provide you with opportunities to learn from people of varied backgrounds, to examine new philosophies and world views, to develop new intellectual interest and technological skills, and to prepare yourself for active, creative participation in the rapidly emerging global society. I wish you the best for great success at Southern! Let us know how we can help you realize your goals and make the most of your time here. Go Owls!

Tracy M. Tyree, Ph.D. Vice President for Student Affairs


INTRODUCTION Welcome to Southern Connecticut State University, a flourishing community of more than 11,000 students located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, near the artsy and historic Westville Village section of the city. This Student Handbook, which complements the University Catalog, contains information about campus life. The handbook is provided to students and applicants for their general information and guidance only. It does not constitute a contract, either express or implied, and is subject to revision at the university’s discretion. It is prepared and published by the Office of Student Affairs in cooperation with the Office of Public Affairs. Southern Connecticut State University reserves the right to change announcements, procedures, and regulations whenever necessary. The Student Handbook can also be found online at


SCSU History Life began for Southern Connecticut State University on September 11, 1893, when three teachers and 84 students met at the old Skinner School in New Haven to create a two-year teacher training school, New Haven State Normal School. By 1937, Southern had grown into a four-year college with the power to grant bachelor’s degrees. Ten years later, Southern teamed up with Yale University's Department of Education to offer a master of science degree. In 1954, the State Board of Education authorized the institution — then known as New Haven State Teachers College — to assume complete responsibility for this graduate program. In 1959, six years after the institution had moved to its present location on Crescent Street, state legislation expanded Southern’s offerings to include liberal arts programs leading to bachelor’s degrees in the arts and sciences. At the same time, New Haven

State Teachers College became Southern Connecticut State College. For the next 24 years, Southern grew, modernized, and diversified, expanding its undergraduate and graduate programs and opening up entirely new fields of study and research. But March 1983 brought even greater changes: Southern Connecticut State College was rechristened Southern Connecticut State University, and made part of the Connecticut State University System (ConnSCU), along with Central Connecticut State University in New Britain, Eastern Connecticut State University in Willimantic, and Western Connecticut State University in Danbury.

Southern Today Today’s Southern is a vibrant, culturally rich and ethnically diverse environment. In addition to its extensive academic offerings, Southern hosts lectures, workshops in literature and dance, art exhibits, performances by professional and student artists, conferences, and institutes on a variety of topics that enrich, instruct, and delight. Through offering courses on part-time, day and evening bases, Southern has been innovative in providing access to a high quality education to a wide range of students. The campus clinics provide diagnosis and treatment of learning disabilities and speech, hearing, and reading problems. As a busy university with a strong identity and a rich history, Southern looks ahead to a future as varied, dynamic, responsive, and responsible as its past.

Building for the New Century Southern is in the midst of a major construction program that is transforming campus. The university recently opened a new home for the School of Business, is completing a renovation and expansion of Buley Library that will double the size of the existing building, and has begun construction on a 98,000square-foot, four-level academic and laboratory science building. Both the library and science building projects are scheduled for completion in 2015. Sited adjacent to Jennings Hall, the current home for the sciences, the new building will enhance the

ongoing expansion of Southern’s science programs and the university’s capacity to educate more students in cutting-edge fields such as nanotechnology, biochemistry, and marine science. Other forthcoming projects include a recreation center, a fine arts center, and a new home for the School of Health and Human Services.

Fast Facts about Southern Academics 421 full-time faculty 83 – percentage of full-time faculty with the Ph.D.or other terminal degree 615 part-time faculty 69 undergraduate degree programs 47 graduate degree programs 15:1 – ratio of students to faculty Athletics 8 athletic programs for men 11 athletic programs for women 2 NCAA Division for Southern athletics 10 National NCAA Division II team titles 78 individual championships won by Southern athletes Campus 78 miles to New York City 136 miles to Boston 171 – acres Southern spans 260 – millions of dollars invested in campus renovations 125,000 – square feet in the new Student Center (three times the size of the old one) 6.4 – approximate number of miles from campus to Long Island Sound in West Haven Students 10,804 students at Southern 8,257 undergraduate students 2,547 graduate students 1:1.8 – ratio of male to female students residence halls 2,589 students live on campus 65 campus clubs INTRODUCTION 7

Above: The library and reading room at Southern’s original campus on Howe Street in New Haven, circa 1923. Below: A study area in the renovated Buley library.


Above: The Michael J. Adanti Student Center, at the center of the Southern campus. Below: Founder’s Gate, next to the Lyman Center, displays the letters of the former New Haven State Teacher’s College.


ACADEMIC INFORMATION All students are expected to know and understand the University’s academic policies and procedures, including academic standards and requirements governing students’ academic work both in their major and as part of their degree requirements. Information contained in this section of the Student Handbook is listed alphabetically. For a detailed description of all academic programs and courses of study, please consult the University undergraduate catalog at academics.

Academic Standing Policy All students shall demonstrate their ability to do college level work. The University requires a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 to be eligible for a bachelor’s degree. Any student with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 shall be considered in Good Standing by the university (some programs may have additional GPA requirements). 10 ACADEMIC INFORMATION

Students who fall below the required 2.0 shall be placed on academic discipline. The three categories of academic discipline are: Academic Warning: Students shall be placed on Academic Warning the first semester in which their cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students on Academic Warning shall be allowed to register for a maximum of 15 credits and shall register prior to the first day of the semester. Academic Probation: Students who are on Academic Warning and fail to raise their cumulative GPA to a minimum 2.0 in the following semester shall be placed on Academic Probation. Students on probation shall be allowed to register for a maximum of 14 credits and shall register prior to the first day of the semester. Students on Academic Probation shall be allowed to continue at the University, but shall remain on probation provided their semester GPA is at least a 2.3. Once the cumulative GPA reaches a 2.0, the

student shall be removed from Academic Probation and shall be placed in Good Standing. Students shall have three (3) semesters to raise their cumulative GPA to 2.0. If the cumulative GPA is below 2.0 after the third semester of probation, the student shall be academically dismissed. Academic Dismissal: Students on Academic Probation shall be Academically Dismissed if (1) their semester GPA is below a 2.3 and cumulative GPA is below a 2.0, or (2) their cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 after the third semester of probation. Students who are Academically Dismissed from Southern Connecticut State University shall not be allowed to register for the subsequent semester. If students choose to appeal for reinstatement, they may do so during or subsequent to the semester in which they are off. All appeals shall be made to the Academic Standing Committee. Students shall be permitted to appeal for reinstatement only once.

Application for Readmission See Readmission to the University, Page 19

Change of Address Students must have a current address on file in the Registrar’s Office. Any change of address must be made on-line through the student’s BannerWeb account. Students shall be responsible for any university communication sent to the address last given to the Registrar’s Office, and may not claim indulgence on the basis of having moved and, therefore, not having received the communication.

Class Absences Faculty outline the class attendance policy in each course syllabus, and, typically also inform students of the portion of the final course grade that will be determined by class attendance/participation. In an instance where the student knows in advance of a critical need to miss class, the student should, in advance of the absence, discuss the upcoming absence with the faculty member and explore arrangements that need to be made to make up missed work.

Students who miss class because of unforeseeable circumstances should contact the faculty member(s) as soon as feasible after the missed class, to inform the faculty member and, if deemed appropriate by the faculty member, to learn what the student might be able to do to make up for the missed work. Students who are absent from class(es) for six or more consecutive days for physical or mental health reasons are advised to consult with the Dean of Students office. In these instances, the student must present documentation from the off-campus treating physician or off-campus mental health provider. In the case of physical health issues, the documentation must be provided to the Health Services; in the case of mental health issues, the documentation must be provided to the Counseling Center. Each request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The directors of health services and counseling center provide verification of the illness to each faculty member, who may, if the facts merit it, make adjustments to course requirements. In cases where a significant portion of coursework has been missed and it may be difficult to make up all the coursework, students should confer with the Dean of Students Affairs or designee or a representative in the Registrar’s Office to consider their various options.

Class Attendance Students are expected to attend class regularly. Freshmen, in particular, should attend all class sessions to develop proper study habits as they begin their college education. Instructors may set mandatory class attendance as a course requirement. When attendance is mandatory, the instructor will announce in writing during the first week of the semester the effect that absences will have on the student’s evaluation. Students are responsible for material presented in the class whether they are present or not. Unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness, students should not expect to use future class time or private tutoring by their instructors to make up work missed during their absences.


Instructors will announce in writing their policy for exams during the first week of the semester. Policies include any penalty for missed exams or arrangements for make-up exams. In all courses, students must take announced exams at the time they are given. Students should expect to be penalized for missing announced exams unless there is an acceptable reason for the absence.

Class Cancellation Advisory Students should be aware that courses may be canceled due to low enrollments and other reasons. Students will receive notification from the appropriate department if a course is canceled; however, it is a good idea for students to check their schedules prior to the start of classes to ensure that all registered courses will be offered. Students should check the Web for up-to-date course information. The following policy statement was formulated in conjunction with the academic deans and serves to guide the university's decision-making with respect to class cancellations during the regular academic semesters and during the summer and winter sessions: Fall and Spring Semesters: Under normal circumstances, after consultation with department chairs, academic deans will cancel classes for low enrollment, 10 days before the first day of classes. Summer and Intersession: Under normal circumstances, after consultation with department chairs, academic deans will cancel classes for low enrollment, 10 days before the first day of classes. Dean’s Discretion: In all sessions, the dean may take into consideration the discipline, the rotation of courses within the degree program, the needs of students to graduate on time, etc., and may choose to run sections of classes with enrollments less than those stated above.

00–29 credits — Freshman Class 30–59 credits — Sophomore Class 60–89 credits — Junior Class 90 or more credits — Senior Class

Course Audit Audit status is a reasonable alternative for a student who wants to take a particular course, but does not have the proper background. Students who audit a course pay the same tuition and fees they would if they opted for a grade. However, they receive no academic grade or grade points, and the course may not be included in the 12 credits needed for full-time status. Although no final grade is submitted, students do have the right to take exams, write papers, and have them evaluated. Students may register as auditors, or change from credit to audit, anytime before the end of the third week of classes. However, the deadline for changing back to a traditional grade is the end of the period for adding or dropping courses. Prior to auditing, students must discuss with the instructor the criteria for a successful audit and receive the written approval of the instructor. Forms for this purpose are available in the Registrar’s Office or at, and must be returned to the Registrar’s Office by the deadline.

Dean’s List Students are recognized for their high academic achievement by being placed on the Dean’s List of their respective schools. In order for the undergraduate students to qualify for the Dean’s List, students must complete 12.0 or more credits in Fall or Spring and earn a semester GPA of 3.5 or better. These requirements apply to all undergraduate students, regardless of their academic class (i.e. freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior.)

Class Designation

Degree Application

Students are assigned to a class according to the number of their earned credits thus far.

Degrees are conferred three times a year, in January, May, and August (fall, spring, summer).


Degree applications are available at Undergraduate students should click on the Undergraduate Students link, and graduate students should click on the Graduate Students link to apply. Students eligible for graduation must complete an application by the appropriate deadline. Deadlines are at Students who do not meet the published deadlines must apply for the next degree cycle. Students seeking certification must also obtain and submit an Application for Certification.

Degree Requirements Students are responsible for fulfilling the requirements for their degree programs. They should be acquainted with the Degree Program section of the Undergraduate Catalog, and with the requirements for their choice of major in the Programs and Courses section of the Undergraduate Catalog. They should also be aware of any official changes in degree requirements or major requirements. If there is any doubt or question concerning degree requirements, the student should contact their departments.

First-Year Experience First-Year Academic Program The First-Year Experience Program (FYE) introduces first-year students to the demands of academic and social development by fostering intellectual inquiry, encouraging community involvement, and instilling in them a passion for lifelong learning. At the heart of the FYE is the notion of Learning Communities. All first-year students take part in one of two learning communities during their first year at the University: Inquiry, or for selected students, the Honors College Learning Community. Inquiry Learning Community First-year students are brought together in a critical thinking course and a 3-credit first-year

seminar course (INQ 101), designed to assist small groups of students in becoming academically engaged members of the University. All sections meet in a series of common objectives. For more information, contact Jan Jones in the FYE office at (203) 392-6671 or visit Honors College The Honors College is a four-year program designed for a small group of exceptionally wellprepared students. Incoming first-year students interested in joining this learning community must apply to the University no later than January 1st and complete the Honors College application process. Transfer students and already matriculated students with fewer than 30 credits and strong academic performance may also apply. More information about the application process is available at

Fresh Start Option The purpose of the Fresh Start Option is to retain and offer support to students who experience a poor start and were dropped from matriculated status or withdrew from the University. (However, this option is not available to education majors.) This option allows them to be readmitted to the University and to disregard their previous record in calculating their Grade Point Average. All courses and grades will remain on the students permanent record and the date the Fresh Start Option was invoked will also be entered on the student’s permanent record. The student will receive credit for courses taken before that date in which he or she received a grade of “A”, “B”, or “C.” (This does not include C- grades). The GPA will be calculated solely on the basis of courses taken after that date. The option is available only once, only to students who are not education majors, and only to students who have completed the following conditions. • had a GPA below 2.0 and status changed to non-matriculated; • have been non-matriculated for at least one year; ACADEMIC INFORMATION 13

• since being made non-matriculated, have completed 9-12 credits and earned a 2.75 GPA (If credits are from another university or college, please have official transcript sent to Southern Connecticut State University Office of Admissions; • have not reached junior status (60) credits at Southern,including the 9-12 credits referred to above; • not an education major. (The School of Education does not endorse the Fresh Start Option.) Questions regarding the Fresh Start Option may be directed to the Registrar’s Office, Wintergreen Building.

Grade Appeal Procedures I. Assumptions A. The awarding of grades1 is the responsibility of the instructor of the course. B. A grade shall be changed only with the consent of the instructor of the course and with the approval of the provost or appropriate dean, except for cases that are specified in this document. C. In order to protect academic freedom, promote academic integrity, and to avoid possible negative implications for faculty evaluations,


all grade appeals must be based on a claim of palpable injustice. A palpable injustice occurs when a faculty member has been demonstrably inconsistent and unfair to the student. Palpable injustice represents a clear and blatant violation of a reasonable evaluation procedure, regardless of whether that procedure is stated or implied. Palpable injustice is NOT warranted when other faculty members simply disagree with the grade, would have graded differently, would have rounded off to the next highest grade, or would have preferred a different evaluation procedure. For example, the Department Grade Appeal Committee or University Grade Appeal Committee is not justified in changing a “WF” to a “WP” by considering the circumstances for the withdrawal. The issue is whether the faculty member applied the policy appropriately. D. These procedures apply only to the change of a grade under conditions specified in section of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. They may be implemented after a final grade has been submitted or after a request for a late withdrawal has been denied by the instructor, and any change may be upward or downward.

E. These procedures may be implemented at any time during the academic year subject to II A below. F. The week of Spring Break shall not be counted when determining how long the grade appeal has been in process. II. Procedures A. Grade appeals must be initiated on an individual basis. A student must submit a written and signed rationale to the instructor (no electronic submissions permitted) stating the reason for the grade appeal and the grade s/he feels should have been received anytime after receipt of the grade until the end of 3rd week of the semester2 (called hereinafter the appeal semester) following the date on which a grade was awarded. Grade appeals for work during summer, winter and spring break sessions must be made according to the schedule for the next full semester. See the section on deadlines below. The student and the instructor shall then attempt to settle the matter in good faith. B. If it is impossible for the student to contact the instructor (with the help of the instructor’s chair if needed), or if the student and instructor cannot reach an agreement, the student must report this to the instructor’s chair or the program director (in the case of courses in interdisciplinary programs) by the end of the 5th week of the appeal semester. C. If the instructor can be contacted, and the student and instructor disagree, the following shall take place: 1. Working in good faith, thechair/director, the instructor, and student shall attempt to settle the matter.

2. If the student, the chair/director and instructor are unable to reach an agreement, then the chair/director has until the end of the 7th week of the appeal semester to do one of the following: A. Convene a committee3 elected by the department (hereinafter called the Department Grade Appeal Committee or DGAC) which shall, in consultation with the instructor and student, decide whether a palpable injustice has occurred. The DGAC must reach its decision by the 10th week of the appeal semester, or the appeal goes directly to the University Grade Appeal Committee (UGAC). The student or the faculty member has the right of appeal to the (UGAC). In such instances, the UGAC must reach its decision by the last day of the finals’ week of the appeal semester. B. Refer the matter to the UGAC, which shall, in consultation with the instructor and student, decide whether a palpable injustice has occurred. C. Decide not to convene a DGAC or to refer the matter to the UGAC, only if the chair/director determines that the grade appeal has no merit. 3. If the chair/director decides not to convene a DGAC nor refer the matter to the UGAC,the student may refer the matter to the UGAC, but must do so by the end of the 9th week of the appeal semester. 4. The DGAC or the UGAC shall make a decision with reference to the grade appeal following consultation with the instructor, student, and others whom it

Notes: 1

By grade refers to any of the grades specified in the university Undergraduate or Graduate Catalogs. Semester means the January to May or the September to December sessions of classes. 3 The composition of this committee and its election procedures shall be determined by each department, subject to ll F. 2


deems appropriate. The meetings of the DGAC or UGAC shall consist of the respective committee members, and others,only if invited by the DGAC or the UGAC. A grade change may take place when the DGAC or the UGAC decides that a palpable injustice has occurred, and the new grade will be based on the evidence presented. The DGAC or the UGAC shall treat each student as a separate case. The DGAC’s or UGAC’s decision shall include a written rationale for each decision signed by the committee members. The student, the instructor, the department chair/director, and the chair of the DGAC (when applicable) shall be notified in writing of the committee’s decision. If a grade change has been made, the registrar shall also be notified in writing. THE DECISION OF THE DGAC CAN BE APPEALED TO THE UGAC BY EITHER STUDENT COMPLAINANT OR AFFECTED FACULTY MEMBER, AND THE DECISION OF THE UGAC SHALL BE FINAL. 5. If a student or instructor appeals a DGAC decision, the appellant takes the matter directly to the UGAC by the end of the 12th week of the appeal semester. The UGAC will entertain an appeal on the basis of a palpable injustice that should or should not have been determined by the DGAG, or if the student, instructor, chair/director, or DGAC did not follow correct procedure. THE DECISION OF THE UGAC SHALL BE FINAL. D. If it is impossible to contact the instructor, or the instructor refuses to participate, the


procedure in II C is followed without the presence or involvement of the instructor. E. Deadlines and deadline extensions. 1.“By the 3rd week” means 3 weeks (21 calendar days) into the semester, starting with the 1st day of classes. Other deadlines are to be interpreted similarly. 2. A dean of the appropriate school may extend any grade appeal deadline only at the appellant’s request and only if the appellant provides written evidence that physical or mental incapacitationled to the missed deadline. The request must be made, in writing, no later than the end of the first week of classes following the original grade appeal semester. F. Structure of the Grade Appeal Committee. The GAC shall consist of three department or program members, excluding the instructor, the chair, non-tenured faculty and those on leave. In cases of hardship (when too few department/program members are available), the chair will follow the same procedures as those for convening a hardship DEC. G. Structure of the University Grade Appeal Committee. The UGAC shall consist of seven members, including six university-wide elected members who serve a term of three years each, plus one member of the affected department/program, and one university-wide elected alternate who fills in as needed. Two elected members will be from the school of Arts and Sciences; the other four schools shall have one member each. No more than one elected member per department is permitted. Any grade appeal decision shall not be made by fewer than three UGAC members. The instructor whose grade is being appealed cannot serve on UGAC for that appeal.

III. Amendments A. This document may be amended by two-thirds vote of the Faculty Senate with the concurrence of the university President. IV. Interpretation A. This section may not be invoked with respect to the interpretation of any item of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. If an issue develops concerning interpretation of this document, whether initiated by the senate, a faculty member, or any member of the administration, a binding decision on such an issue shall be made: 1. by agreement between the President of the University and a majority of the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate or, failing to obtain agreement on an issue by this method, 2. by a committee consisting of one member selected by the Senate Executive Committee, one selected by the President of the University, and one selected by the first two committee members, who, by a two-thirds vote shall decide such an issue.

V. Implementation A. This document shall take effect upon approval by a two-thirds vote of the Faculty Senate with the concurrence of the President of the university.

Grading System The following grades are used on academic records: Grade Point Average To determine a student’s grade point average (GPA), also referred to as Quality Point Ratio (QPR), letter grades are assigned grade points as follows: A+ = 4.0

A = 4.0

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B- = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C- = 1.7

D+ = 1.3

D = 1.0

D- = 0.7

F=0 The numerical weight given each grade is then multiplied by the number of credits (semester hours) assigned to each course. Thus, a grade of C in a three-credit course merits six quality points (2 x 3). ACADEMIC INFORMATION 17

The grades of “I,” “P,” “S,” “W,” “W/F,” “W/P,” and “Z” carry no quality points, and the credits for those courses are not considered in the total credits attempted, so they have no effect on the GPA. A student’s GPA is determined by dividing the total number of quality points by the number of credits attempted. • Exceptional – A+, A, A• Superior – B+, B, B• Average – C+, C • Passing – C-, D+, D, D• Failure – F • Incomplete – I • P = Pass in a course where all students receive P or F • S = Pass in a course taken for Pass-Fail Option • Z = Satisfactory Audit of classes Certain codes are used to indicate unusual situations: • N = Student never attended • R = No grade reported by instructor • W = Officially withdrawn • W/F or W/P = Late withdrawal: withdrawn failing or withdrawn passing If a course is repeated, both grades will appear on the permanent record and will be used in determining the cumulative GPA. Credits for both attempts will be counted toward credits attempted, but the credits will be earned just once. The GPA of a transfer student is based solely on courses taken at SCSU.

Honors Undergraduate students who have maintained a 3.5-3.69 GPA are graduated cum laude; 3.7-3.89 magna cum laude; 3.9-4.0 summa cum laude. The GPA is computed from the student’s entire collegiate record. Transfer students who have taken at least 60 credit hours at SCSU and have attained a 3.5 GPA or higher in these courses will be eligible for academic honors. Only earned grades at Southern 18 ACADEMIC INFORMATION

will be tabulated when determining academic honors.

Honors Thesis Juniors and seniors with exceptional motivation and potential in their chosen disciplines may choose to pursue a rigorous path to graduation with departmental honors. Students wishing to participate should contact the chairperson of the University Honors Committee. The production of a high-quality thesis or performance completes the requirement for departmental honors.

Incomplete Courses A temporary grade of “Incomplete” (I) is recorded when a student has a valid reason as determined by the instructor for not meeting a partial requirement in a course prior to the termination of the semester. The student requests Incomplete status from their instructor. If granted, the Incomplete must be removed not more than 30 days after the next semester begins. If the student fails in his responsibility to complete the work, the grade automatically becomes a failure, “F”. If the instructor is giving the student longer than the 30-day period to complete coursework, then the instructor must file an Incomplete Extension Form with the Registrar’s Office. Students should be aware that a grade of incomplete may impact financial aid.

Independent Study Students who wish to pursue special research or other projects may request independent study in any department in the university. Forms for application for independent study are available in the offices of the academic deans.

Information Requests The Registrar’s Office does not release academic information about any student unless the student makes a request in writing.

Internships The University provides a diverse internship

program to give students the chance to get on-thejob professional training while earning college credit. Students can serve semester-long or academic-year internships in federal, state, and local government agencies, departments, and offices, or with private firms. Interested students should contact their departmental chairperson or dean.

Midterm Grades As part of the course evaluation process, students will receive a midterm grade for most courses directly from their instructors. The midterm grade will be given to the student either online or in writing during the eighth week of classes for full semester courses, and by the end of the fourth week for eight-week courses. A student who has not received a midterm grade by these times should confer with the instructor. If this meeting does not result in the student’s receiving a midterm grade, the student should contact the chairperson of the department in which the course is offered. For additional information the student is advised to consult with the appropriate academic dean. Any student, especially a freshman who is doing unsatisfactory work (“D” or “F”) at the time of midterm grade reporting, is encouraged to initiate conferences with their instructor and academic advisor.

Minimal Standards Students dropping below a cumulative 2.0 GPA at the end of a semester are, depending on accumulated credit hours, subject to either academic probation or removal from full-time status. Students who have all the coursework for their degree, but do not have a cumulative 2.0 GPA will be ineligible to graduate.

New England Regional Student Program Southern Connecticut State University is a participant in the New England Higher Education Compact. This offers residents of other New England states the opportunity to enroll at SCSUfor academic programs not available at public institutions in their home state, at the Connecticut resident tuition rate

plus 50 percent. Other fees are also required. Similarly, Connecticut residents can avail themselves of programs offered by public schools in the other New England states that are not available in Connecticut public institutions. For more information about the New England Regional Student Program, contact the New England Board of Higher Education, 45 Temple Place, Boston, MA 02111; Phone: (617) 357-9620; online at; or contact the Registrar’s Office of Southern Connecticut State University at (203) 3925301.

Proficiency Policy Any entering student who places into the noncredit bearing course, MAT 095 — Elementary Algebra, must complete it within the first 24 load credits of university work. If a student fails to complete this course within 24 attempted credits of course work, he or she will not be allowed to register for courses at any Connecticut State University System institition. This policy reflects a resolution passed by the Board of Trustees for the Connecticut State University System on July 16, 2003.

Readmission to the University A student who leaves the university in Good Standing and does not attend another institution can apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar, Wintergreen Building. Once readmitted students are held to the academic requirements in effect at the time of their readmission. These requirements are outlined in the Undergraduate Catalog. Any student who has been dismissed from the University must take a minimum of one semester off and appeal for reinstatement through the Academic Standing Committee. Reinstatement is not guaranteed. Readmission for the fall semester begins March 1 and continues through the Friday prior to the first day of classes. Readmission for the spring semester begins October 1 and continues through the Friday prior to the first day of classes. ACADEMIC INFORMATION 19

Registration Registration occurs during November and December for the following spring semester and April and May for the following fall semester. The full schedule of courses, as well as up-to-date information regarding course openings and closings, can be accessed at All undergraduate matriculated students are required to meet with their advisers prior to making course selections for the upcoming semester. Petition for Irregular Schedule A petition for irregular schedule is defined as a schedule in which a student is requesting to enroll in greater than 18 undergraduate (UG)/15 graduate (GR) credits or less than 12 UG/9 GR credits while maintaining full-time student classification, or registering for a graduate course as an undergraduate student for either graduate or undergraduate credit. Students requesting to enroll in more than 18 UG/15 GR credits must have a GPA greater than or equal to 3.00 and be prepared to pay additional monies. Students requesting to enroll in less than 12 UG/9 GR credits while maintaining full-time student classification must meet the requirements set forth in the CSU Board of Trustees Resolution BR-03-05. The form is available on the Registrar’s Office website and must be signed by the student’s adviser and appropriate dean prior to being submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Pass-Fail Option The Pass-Fail option is open to students who have completed 45 or more credits. The courses for which the Pass-Fail option is used may not be applied to the Liberal Education Program or to the requirements of a major or minor. Students may take a total of only five courses on a Pass-Fail option, with only one taken in any given semester. Students have three weeks into the semester to change their option either back to a grade or from a grade to a Pass-Fail. The Pass-Fail option is “blind” in that the instructor is not aware of the student’s use of the Pass-Fail option until 20 ACADEMIC INFORMATION

after the grades are submitted. An “S” grade is recorded on the student’s transcript for passing a course taken on a Pass-Fail option. Special Pass-Fail option forms, which must be signed by the student’s adviser, are available during the registration period and up to three weeks into the semester at the Registrar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building. Semester Credit Load A normal undergraduate course load is 15 to 18 credits per semester. A student must carry a minimum of 12 credits to be considered a full-time student.

Registration Procedures Continuing Students must register through Banner Web Services (MySCSU). Students will receive Registration information through their Southern e-mail in March for fall registration and October for spring registration. Matriculated undergraduate students must meet with their adviser and obtain an alternate pin number prior to registering. Add/Drops Students may add/drop courses through the first week of the semester via the Web. Full-time undergraduate students should not drop below 12 credits and full-time graduate students should not drop below 9 credits. Full-time and part-time students may withdraw from a full semester course prior to the tenth week of classes; for an eight-week course prior to the sixth week of classes. Such a withdrawal is recorded as a W on the transcript. Each faculty member should provide some kind of formal evaluation so that each student will know their class standing prior to the end of the period for course withdrawals. A student can withdraw from a course through Banner Web Services (MySCSU) prior to the end of the withdrawal period. It is understood that every student should confer with his or her instructor and academic adviser in order to ensure proper faculty advisement before withdrawing from a course. The deadline for students to change their status to part-time is at the

end of the period for adding and dropping courses as listed in the Schedule of Classes. Withdrawals after the ten-week period (or after five weeks for eight-week courses) must be done with the consent of the instructor. Late course withdrawals are to be viewed as exceptions to the general policy. In a case where the instructor feels a late withdrawal is justified, the instructor should obtain and fill out a Late Course Withdrawal Form available in the Registrar’s Office. At this time the instructor will assign a grade of either “WP” (Withdrawn Passing) or “WF” (Withdrawn Failing). The Late Course Withdrawal Form must be approved and signed by both the instructor and the department chairperson. In the event that the instructor teaching the course is the department chairperson, then the dean must also sign the original form. The entire form is then submitted to the Registrar’s Office. No late course withdrawals will be allowed after the last scheduled class. No late course withdrawals will be allowed during the final exam period. Debts, Fines and Obligations Students who have outstanding debts in the Business Office, unpaid library fines, outstanding parking fines, unpaid housing fees, violations of Financial Aid Office rules, or have not submitted required forms to Health Services shall have a block placed against their registrations. Students will not be permitted to register until they clear these obligations with the appropriate offices.

Replacement Grade Option If a student wishes to retake a course for a different grade, they can register for the course again as a “Replacement” course. Although both grades will appear on the student’s transcript, the replacement course grade will be used to calculate the student’s University GPA instead of the old grade. The student receives credits for the course only once. If the student has already taken the course more than once, the replacement grade will be used in place of the lowest previous grade for the course in order to calculate the student’s GPA. Students are required to

meet with their academic advisers before pursuing a replacement grade. Conditions and Restrictions • A student must complete the “Grade Replacement” form on the Registrar’s Office Web site to indicate that s/he intends the course to be a “Replacement.” This form must be completed prior to the last day of the add/drop period; otherwise, both the new grade and the old grade will be calculated into the GPA. • Once a course is designated a “Replacement” course, the new grade received will replace the old grade, regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the old grade. • The “Replacement” course grade cannot be undone, other than by withdrawing from the course before it is over. If the student withdraws, they cannot register for the same replacement course a second time. • The “Replacement” option can only be pursued once per course, and only for a total of 15 credits. • If a course taken as a writing intensive “W” course is retaken without a W designation, the new grade will still replace the old grade for GPA purposes, and the original “W” can still be used to fulfill “W” requirements, as long as the student received a passing grade for the course. • Some SCSU programs may be required to calculate both grades for GPA purposes. Students are required to meet with their academic advisers before pursuing a replacement grade. • Once awarded a degree, a student may not go back and replace individual courses within that degree.

ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Candidate) Students may earn a commission in the United States Army through the ROTC program at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, or Air Force ACADEMIC INFORMATION 21

through the ROTC program at Yale. A two- or fouryear sequence of courses may be selected. Interested students should inquire about the ROTC Scholarship Program. For Army ROTC call (860) 486-4538; for Air Force ROTC call (860) 486-2224.

Selection of a Degree Program A matriculated student can select a degree program by filling out a Selection of Degree Form, which can be found online at registrar. Print and complete form, have it signed by the chair and an adviser in the department selected, and then submit the signed form to the Registrar’s Office. Application to a Department Students who wish to pursue a major in professional fields where certification is required must apply to a department during the first half of their fourth semester at the university. Students who seek a BA degree in the arts and sciences should also apply to the department of their intended major. Assignment to an Academic Adviser Course advisement begins at the time of the first registration period and continues throughout the student’s academic career at Southern. Every student must be assigned an academic adviser. Students who elect a major will be assigned an adviser by their department. Students who are not ready to elect a major will be assigned to the Academic Advisement Center located in the Wintergreen Building. An academic adviser is a faculty or staff member who discusses, advises, and guides a student in planning and/or selecting a program to obtain a degree in a particular subject area. Students are reminded, however, that having an adviser does not exempt them from the responsibility of carefully reading the Undergraduate Catalog and other advisement publications in order to understand the requirements of their programs. Problems or Questions Because academic advisers are teaching professors, they are available to students only during 22 ACADEMIC INFORMATION

posted office hours. Students who have schedules incompatible with their advisers should report to the department office to be assigned a new adviser (if they have elected a major) or to the Academic Advisement Center (if they have not elected a major). Students should plan to see their adviser regularly during the academic year. They should also make an appointment with their academic adviser to discuss their selection of courses as soon as they receive registration information.

Taking Courses at Other Institutions Matriculated students in good standing (2.0 GPA or higher) who plan to take courses at other institutions must obtain prior approval from the Registrar’s Office in order to apply this course work toward the degree requirements of the University. The approval forms are available at

Transfer Students The Admissions Office mails transfer students an official evaluation of courses and credits accepted for transfer after students have been admitted to the university and upon receipt of their official transcripts from the colleges they previously attended. When applying to a department, transfer students should have the official evaluation form with them to aid their advisers in planning a program. If questions or problems arise after they arrive on campus, transfer students should contact the transfer admissions coordinator in the Admissions Office or the Academic Advisement Center.

Transcripts Current students must request official University transcripts for graduate schools, prospective employers, and other institutions using Banner Web Services. On-line requests submitted through Banner Web Services are printed and mailed on the same day that they are requested. Instructions can be found at

Transcripts – Emergency You may request an Emergency Transcript at the

Registrar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. Emergency Transcripts are $15 each and only one emergency transcript may be requested per day. Emergency Transcripts must be requested in person, by the student with a valid picture ID. Transcripts are issued to the student only.

Waiver Examinations Waiver examinations are available to students who, as the result of previous experience, already have proficiency in subject areas. Examinations are given in all basic freshman and sophomore subjects required for graduation or as prerequisites to advanced courses in certain disciplines. A mark of A or B waives the course and earns three credits; a “C” earns a waiver without credit. A lower grade usually indicates the need to take the course. Waiver credits are not considered when tabulating a student’s GPA. Waiver examinations are given in the fall and spring of each year. Students who want to take these two-hour examinations must make arrangements with the appropriate department.

Withdrawal Policy A student who wants to withdraw officially from the university should consult with a representative from the Registar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building. This representative will discuss the withdrawal with the student and will also make a preliminary evaluation of readmission possibilities. The student then completes an official withdrawal form. Students who are withdrawing should carefully note the following: • Readmission at a later date is not automatic. Application for readmission may be made in the Registrar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building. • Students readmitted to the university are held to the academic requirements in effect in the catalog at the time of their readmission. • For students who withdraw from the university before the last scheduled class, a grade of “W” will be assigned for all courses taken that semester.

• Students who do not officially withdraw but cease to attend classes will be considered enrolled and will receive failing grades. • Students who plan to complete the semester but do not intend to return the following semester should complete their withdrawal forms prior to the their last final examination, dated effective after the end of the semester. • A leave of absence may be discussed with a representative from the Registrar’s Office. A leave of absence is designed for students who have a specific time frame in which they plan to return to Southern. • The refund policy, if applicable, may be found in the Fees and Expenses section of the Undergraduate Catalog. Reminder: Failure to withdraw officially from the university may result in failing grades being recorded on your transcript. It may also lead to problems with debt to the university and affect future financial aid awards. ACADEMIC INFORMATION 23

DISCRIMINATION, SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND SEXUAL ASSAULT POLICIES Continuing Notice of Nondiscrimination Southern Connecticut State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder, learning disability or physical disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or criminal record. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Pamela M. Lassiter, J.D., SCSU, 501 Crescent Street, BU 207, New Haven, CT 06515, (203) 392-5899,

Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Prevention Policy Statement It is the policy of Southern Connecticut State University to prohibit discrimination based on all protected classes including, but not limited to, race,

color, religious creed, age, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder, learning disability or physical disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or criminal record., sexual identity, and sexual orientation. Discrimination includes harassment on any basis mentioned above, and sexual harassment as defined in the Connecticut General Statutes, U.S. EEOC Guidelines of Sexual Harassment, and in Title IX of the Higher Education Amendments of 1972. Discrimination or harassment will not be tolerated at Southern Connecticut State University, whether by faculty, students or staff, or by others while on property owned by or under the control of the University. The purpose of this policy is to help prevent acts of discrimination/harassment and to offer students and employees who believe they have experienced discrimination or harassment a means to promptly


redress any such claim. The University's goal is to end the discrimination or harassment and promote a learning and working environment free of discrimination and harassment. Any employee, student, or applicant for employment or admission to the University, who believes that he or she has been discriminated against or harassed as defined by this policy may file a complaint by following the Procedures for Discrimination and Harassment Complaints available at Inquiries regarding the university’s compliance with state and federal laws regarding discrimination may be directed to the Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Diversity and Equity Programs at (203) 392-5492 or (203) 392-5491 at Southern Connecticut State University; the Commission of Human Rights and Opportunities, West Central Region Office, 55 West Main St., Suite 210, Waterbury, CT 07602 (203) 803-6530; or the Office of Civil Rights, United States Department of Education, 8th Floor, 5 Post Office Square, Boston, MA 02109-3921, (617) 289-0111,

ethnic pluralism within the university is the responsibility of all individuals within the university community:

Pluralism Policy Statement

A complaint against a university employee alleging a violation of this policy should be filed in either the Office of Diversity and Equity (Buley Library 207) or the University Police Department, Granoff Hall. Any complaint filed against a university employee must be filed within 60 days of the alleged violation.

Southern Connecticut State University’s policy statement on pluralism forbids acts of violence or harassment reflecting bias or intolerance based on an individual’s race, religious creed, gender, sexual identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity or cultural origin. The university has procedures for investigating complaints of acts of intolerance brought by students and staff. Southern Connecticut State University endorses the Connecticut State University Policy regarding Racism and Acts of Intolerance. That Policy is as follows: The Connecticut State University declares: Institutions within the Connecticut State University have a duty to foster tolerance; The promotion of racial, religious creed and

Every person within the university community should be treated with dignity and assured security and equality; Individuals may not exercise personal freedom in ways that invade or violate the rights of others; Acts of violence and harassment reflecting bias or intolerance of race, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity or cultural origins are unacceptable: and The university shall take appropriate corrective action if such acts of violence or harassment occur. Anyone who has a complaint alleging an act of violence or harassment based on race, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity or cultural origin should contact the Office of Diversity and Equity Programs at (203) 392-5491.

Sexual Misconduct (sexual harassment, sexual assault and sexual exploitation), intimate partner violence (dating violence and domestic violence) and Stalking We are concerned about the safety of all university community members. Sexual misconduct (sexual harassment, sexual assault and sexual exploitation), intimate partner violence (dating violence and domestic violence) and stalking are not acceptable behaviors in our community and are a violation of the law and the University’s Student Code


of Conduct (visit affairs.) The university is committed to providing prevention and awareness education and advocacy/support services to survivors while holding perpetrators accountable. Reporting Procedures Reporting incidents of sexual misconduct (sexual harassment, sexual assault and sexual exploitation), interpersonal violence (dating violence and domestic violence) and stalking is always the survivor’s choice. Every survivor’s experience and life circumstances are different and so the choice to report is theirs. If a survivor chooses to report they can file criminal charges and/or file charges with the University Police or the Office of Judicial Affairs if the perpetrator was a student or with the Office of Diversity and Equity if the perpetrator was a Southern employee. Assistance/Advocacy (see next page) is provided for all survivors including those who choose to file criminal charges and/or charges with the university. Confidential reporting, meaning you can disclose in complete confidence, can be made to on and off campus support centers including SCSU Counseling Services, SCSU Health Services, 24 hour hotline staff members and clergy. Filing Criminal Charges 1. If you wish to press criminal charges, notify the police. For an incident that occurred on campus, call the University Police at (203) 392-5375 to report an employee or student perpetrator or 911 if you are in immediate danger. If the perpetrator is an SCSU employee, you may also file a complaint with the university by contacting the Office of Diversity & Equity at (203) 392-5491. 2. If the incident occurred off campus, call the local police where the incident occurred. The police will investigate the crime and determine the criminal charges. The State’s Attorney will then decide whether or not there is enough evidence to prosecute. This can result in a trial or plea bargain.

The Women & Families Center: Sexual Assault Crisis Services, (203) 624-4576, and the Umbrella Center for Domestic Violence Services, (203) 789-8104, have court victim advocates that are available to support you during this process. The University Police and the University Victim Advocate will assist the student in these cases, if requested, and able according to University Policy and state law. Silent Witness Program – Anonymous Reporting This program is designed so that students, faculty and staff can report suspicious activity and crimes via the Internet while remaining anonymous. If you have witnessed a crime, or if you know of a crime that was committed or will be committed, visit to fill out and submit the form. A member of the SCSU Police Department will investigate the information provided. You will not be contacted unless you provide your contact


information. All tips remain anonymous. Please keep in mind this program is intended to assist the SCSU Police Department and is not intended for crimes in progress or for emergencies. Call (203) 392-5375 or 911 in those instances. Filing Charges with the University The SCSU Office of Judicial Affairs is responsible for ensuring a fair, just and impartial judicial process for students charged with conduct that violates the provisions of the Student Code of Conduct. The office also provides education and resources to foster respect and civility among all members of the university community.

University Disciplinary Procedures Regarding Sexual Misconduct (sexual harassment, sexual assault and sexual exploitation), intimate partner violence (dating violence and domestic violence) and Stalking In cases of an alleged sexual misconduct offense, when the accused is a student, both the complainant and the accused are entitled to have others present during a judicial disciplinary hearing. You may: 1. Be accompanied to any meeting or proceeding by an advisor and support person of your choice. 2. Present evidence and witnesses on their behalf 3. Be informed in writing of the results of the disciplinary proceeding no later than one business


day after it concludes and retain the right to appeal the decision in accordance with disciplinary procedures. 4. Have their identities kept confidential, except as necessary to carry out a disciplinary proceeding or as permitted by state or federal law. Students have the right to request that disciplinary proceedings begin promptly and know that the proceeding must be conducted by an official trained in issues relating to sexual assault and intimate partner violence. The judicial process will use the “preponderance of evidence standard” (i.e., whether it is more likely than not that the alleged incident occurred). Following a final determination of responsibility when the allegation involves a sexual misconduct offense, the hearing body may impose any sanction or combination of sanctions, including expulsion. Disciplinary proceedings under this code may be carried out before, during or after civil or criminal court proceedings against the accused student.

Restraining Orders and Protective Orders Restraining orders differ from protective orders in that restraining orders are civil and can be issued without the accused person being arrested. Protective orders in a family violence situation are criminal and are issued after the accused has been arrested for committing a family violence crime. Both types of orders must be issued by the court. The University Police Department will keep protective and restraining orders on file in accordance with State regulations. Any victim/ survivor of a sexual assault or domestic violence is strongly encouraged to contact the University Police to verify that they have received from the court a copy of any protective or restraining order filed on their behalf. The University Police Department will accept copies of any protective/restraining orders that can be properly verified. Victims are strongly advised to report any violations of these orders to the University Police at

(203) 392-5375. If the violation of a court order is an emergency situation, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY. For information on filing an application visit order.

Assistance/Advocacy for Survivors The SCSU Sexual Assault Resource Team (S.A.R.T.) provides a collaborative victim-centered team response to sexual misconduct (sexual harassment, sexual assault and sexual exploitation), interpersonal violence (dating violence and domestic violence) and stalking that ensures a transition from victim to survivor for every individual whose life is affected by sexual violence. S.A.R.T. team members represent the Division of Student Affairs, Office of Diversity and Equity, Women’s Center, Office of Judicial Affairs, Counseling Center, Health Services Department, Office of Residence Life, Office of Student Affairs, Office of Student Life, Multicultural Center, Public Health Department, Women’s Studies Program, Sociology Department, Academic Advising, Accounts Payable, the Women and Families Center of Greater New Haven (24 hour hotline: 203-235-4444), and the Umbrella Center for Domestic Violence Services (24 hour hotline: 203-789-8104) and can provide a survivor with many supportive options. These include: counseling, medical attention, judicial services, advocacy, referrals and general information regarding sexual misconduct (sexual harassment, sexual assault and sexual exploitation), interpersonal violence (dating violence and domestic violence) and stalking. If a survivor chooses to file a police report, the University Police Department and the University Victim Advocate will assist that person with the reporting process, empowering the survivor to make their own decisions by providing on- and off-campus resources and offering support as needed. The S.A.R.T. members can assist you in obtaining an order of protection, applying for a temporary restraining order, or seeking enforcement of an existing order. Southern Connecticut State University


shall not disclose the identity of the complainant or the accused, except as necessary or as permitted under state or federal law. Assistance with oncampus living arrangements, classes, work schedule and other accommodations following an incident will be provided to whatever extent possible and reasonable. For more information, visit sart.

Sexual Violence Prevention and Awareness Education Beginning with New Student Orientation, Southern Connecticut State University takes an active continuous role in raising awareness through offering ongoing educational programs and by creating a safe space for open dialogue and action. The programs offered are designed to define sexual misconduct (sexual harassment, sexual assault and

sexual exploitation), intimate partner violence (dating violence and domestic violence) and stalking, explain university procedures and reporting options, define consent, provide risk reduction tips and bystander intervention methods. The SCSU Women’s Center provides information, educational programming, referrals, victim advocacy and services on issues related to violence against women. Acting as the University victim advocate, the coordinator of the center offers support and advocacy for survivors of sexual violence, and is responsible for the coordination of the University Sexual Assault Response Team (S.A.R.T.). The Center also maintains a resource room with information on sexual assault, stalking, domestic violence, dating violence, sexual harassment, women’s health, body image, eating disorders and drugs known to be used in facilitating assaults. The Women’s Center is located in Schwartz Hall.


FINANCIAL AID AND BUSINESS OFFICE POLICIES The Financial Aid Statement of Rights and Responsibilities and the policies governing financial obligations, financial aid and scholarships are outlined for students in this section of the Student Handbook. Also included is information about the SCSU Bursar’s Office which is responsible for student billing and revenue collection.

Bursar’s Office The Bursar’s Office is responsible for student billing and revenue collection. In addition to collecting and posting payments on student’s accounts, the Bursar’s Office oversees monthly payment plans, financial aid refunds, Perkins Loan accounts, and the collection of past due tuition. The Bursar’s Office also processes refunds from overpayments, class withdrawals, university withdrawals, and status changes. The Cashier’s Office is a part of the Bursar’s Office and is located in the main lobby of the Wintergreen Building. 30 FINANCIAL AID AND BUSINESS OFFICE POLICIES

The hours of operation for the Bursar’s Office are Monday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Tuesday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, payments can be made online at by clicking on Pay Bill, Payment Plan Sign-Up, and View E-Statement. Financial Obligations Southern Connecticut State University expects students to be prepared to meet their financial obligations to the university. Planning for those obligations and literally “taking care of business” well in advance of any semester permits students to focus their energies on the academic challenges of university life. The information provided below is intended to be a guide to help students understand the university’s billing policy so that they can be better prepared to meet their financial obligations. Students who fail to meet their financial obligations to the university will be suspended and denied

permission to register in succeeding semesters until the obligations have been satisfied. Students who register for a course and neither complete the course nor officially withdraw according to published procedures will receive a grade of “F” in the course and will be responsible for all financial obligations associated with the course. For further information on costs, refunds, payment deadline dates, or for any financial questions, please visit

“View EBill or Make Payment” and then click the “View bills and make payment” button. You will be redirected to the Southern eBill Student Account page; from there you can click on the Payments tab from the menu options on the top of the page. For detailed information regarding the eBill+ Payment Suite features such as setting up an Authorized User, creating an eRefund account, or enrolling in a payment plan online please visit

Student Account Billing Policy FALL AND SPRING SEMESTERS 1. Payment for full-time matriculated students is due in full approximately 4-6 weeks prior to the first day of classes. For specific due dates, please visit important dates 2. Payment for part-time non-matriculated students AND ALL students registering after the bill due date is due at the time of registration. INTERSESSION, SPRING BREAK, and/or SUMMER SEMESTERS 1. Payment for ALL students registering for courses offered in intersession, spring break, and/or summer semesters is due AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION. Payments may include financial aid, scholarship(s), third party payments, payments from personal resources or enrollment in a payment plan (see next page). eBill is Southern Connecticut State University's official method for sending student account billing statements. Students will not receive paper statements (or bills) through the postal service; rather Students and Authorized Users will receive email notification when new statements are available online through the eBill + Payment Suite; student account billing statements — showing all charges and payments are available through this secure online system. To view your student billing statement or make a payment, visit, Click on Banner Web, select Student Services, click

SCSU Payment Plans All students may enroll in one of SCSU's deferred payment plans that allows payments to be made throughout the semester/year. Students can self enroll in a payment plan online at eBill + Payment Suite or call the Bursar's office at (203) 392-6140 for assistance. Students are eligible to enroll in a payment plan at the time of registration for classes as long as all previous semesters have been paid in full. A non refundable $45 enrollment fee and the first payment are due at the time of enrollment in the payment plan. *Note: While the payment plan agreement allows for a 10 day grace period, the grace period is only applicable to the assessment of a $50 late fee therefore your account will be considered past due if your installment payments are not paid on the scheduled due dates. If you do not pay the installment amount due on the scheduled due date your account will be considered past due and a Hold will be placed on your account and if applicable, you may be prevented from moving into your residence hall. Additionally, a $50 late fee will be assessed for this installment payment if the full installment “Amount Due” is not paid within the 10 day grace period from the due date. Acceptable forms of payment for deferred payment plans Installment payments for deferred payment plans may be made online through eCheck (automatic withdrawal from a PERSONAL checking account),* a charge against a credit or debit card, or may be FINANCIAL AID AND BUSINESS OFFICE POLICIES 31

paid in person at the Bursar's office in the form of cash, check, debit card, or money order. *Note: It may take up to five business days for a newly designated account to be verified and available for eCheck payment. Home equity lines of credit, trust accounts, 527 Educational Saving accounts, and credit card checks cannot be used as eCheck payments. Penalty for late and non-payment A full or part time matriculated student's account is considered “past due” after a 10 day grace period from the due date. Any part-time student and/or any full-time student who registers after the semester due date and does not pay upon registration is also considered past due. Past due student accounts are subject to a $50 Late fee, having a hold placed on them, and/or having their class schedule canceled and if applicable, their housing assignment canceled. Holds placed on accounts may prevent students from registering for subsequent semesters, restrict access to transcripts and grades, and/or their class schedule will be canceled. Special circumstances may be reviewed on a case by case basis. Collection of debt. Students with past due balances are subject to the University’s collection process; students failing to pay past-due accounts or make adequate payment arrangements will be assigned to a collection agency. Collection agency fees will be charged to the student and their past due balance will be reported to the credit bureau(s)

Financial Aid The university awards a limited amount of financial aid to matriculated students who can demonstrate financial need. The priority date for the submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is March 15. The basic premise for financial assistance is to assist a student in meeting their university charges. Please note that an application for financial aid (FAFSA) does not guarantee that the student will receive enough aid to cover all university costs. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all semester charges are 32 FINANCIAL AID AND BUSINESS OFFICE POLICIES

paid by university deadlines. Applicants who file their FAFSA after the priority date decrease their chances of receiving gift aid (state/federal grants). Incomplete applications will not be considered for financial aid. All students who want to be considered for financial aid for the upcoming academic year should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) via the Web at This application will serve as the university application for financial aid. If the FAFSA is selected for verification by the federal processor, students will be asked, via their SCSU email account, to submit any requested documentation. Private Scholarships Students receiving outside scholarships must submit a copy of their scholarship notification as soon as possible to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, which is located in the Wintergreen Building. Veterans’ Benefits Veterans should contact the Coordinator of Veterans’ Affairs in Engleman Hall, Room B018, (203) 392-6822, to determine if they are eligible for educational veterans’ benefits.

Financial Aid Statement Of Rights And Responsibilities A. Student Rights Regarding Financial Aid 1. The student has the right to know what financial aid programs are available at the university. ( 2. The student has the right to know the deadlines for submitting applications for each of the financial aid programs available. ( 3. The student has the right to know how their financial need was determined. This includes how costs of tuition and fees, room and board, travel, books and supplies, personal and

miscellaneous expenses, etc., are considered in his/her budget. ( 4. The student has the right to know what resources (such as parental contribution, other financial aid, assets, etc.) were considered in the calculation of his/her need. ( 5. The student has the right to know how much of their financial need as determined by the institution has been met. ( 6. The student has the right to know the university’s refund policy. ( 7. The student has the right to know what portion of the financial aid s/he was awarded must be repaid and what portion is gift aid. If the aid is a loan, the student has the right to know what the interest rate is, the total amount that must be repaid, the repayment procedures, the length of time the student has to repay the loan and when repayment is to begin. ( 8. The student has the right to know how the school determines whether s/he is making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and what happens if s/he is not making SAP. ( B. Student Responsibilities Regarding Financial Aid 1. The student must complete the FAFSA accurately and it is recommended to submit it to the federal processor prior to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (OFAS) priority date to be considered for financial aid before bills are due. 2. The student must provide correct information to the federal processor. The student must inform the Office of the Registrar of any change in name or address. In most instances, misreporting information on the federal application is a violation of law and may be considered a

criminal offense, which could result in indictment under the U.S. Criminal code. 3. The student must return all additional documentation, verification, corrections, and/or new information requested by OFAS within 10 business days. 4. The student is responsible for reading and understanding all the forms that is asked to sign and for keeping copies of them. 5. The student must accept responsibility for all agreements that they sign. 6. The student must perform the work that is agreed upon in accepting a Federal Work Study award. 7. The student must be aware of the university’s refund procedures. 8. First-time borrowers must complete an entrance interview session required by federal regulation when requesting a Federal Direct Student Loan. The entrance interview emphasizes the seriousness and importance of repayment obligations the borrower is assuming. 9. The student must complete an exit interview required by federal regulations for each Federal Direct Loan they have received. The exit interview emphasizes the seriousness and importance of repayment obligations the borrower is assuming when they graduate, withdraw from the university, or drop below half-time status.

Financial Aid Withdrawal Policy What is a withdrawal? • Official Withdrawal — student who notifies the university registrar’s office that s/he will not be attending the university for a term. The student needs to submit a withdrawal form to the registrar’s office. • Unofficial Withdrawal — student who stops attending all of their courses resulting in a zero grade point average for a term.


Title IV Withdrawal Policy The law specifies how Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that a student earned if s/he withdraws from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Iraq Afghanistan Service Grants, Academic Competitiveness Grants, National SMART grants, TEACH Grants, Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), and Federal Perkins Loans. When the student withdraws during a payment period or period of enrollment, the school is required to perform a withdrawal calculation which determines the amount of financial aid the student has earned. If the student received (or SCSU or parent received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount that was earned, the student may be able to receive those additional funds. If the student received more assistance than s/he earned, the excess funds must be re¬turned by SCSU and/or the student to the appropriate Title IV financial aid. The amount of assistance that a student earns is determined on a prorata basis. For example, if the student completed 30% of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student earned 30% of the assistance that was originally scheduled to receive. Once the student completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student has earned all the assistance that was originally scheduled to receive for that period. If the student did not receive all of the funds that s/he earned, may be due a Post-withdrawal disbursement. If the Post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, SCSU must get the student’s permission before it can disburse them. The student may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that s/he don’t incur additional debt. SCSU may automatically use all or a portion of the Postwithdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition, fees, and room and board charges (as contracted with the school). SCSU needs the student permission to use the Post-withdrawal grant disbursement for all other school charges. If s/he does not give 34 FINANCIAL AID AND BUSINESS OFFICE POLICIES

permission, the student will be offered the funds. However, it may be in the best interest to allow SCSU to keep the funds to reduce the debt at the school. There is some Title IV funds that the student was scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed to the student once s/he withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if the student is a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and have not completed the first 30 days of the program before s/he withdraw, the student will not receive any FFEL or Direct Loan funds that s/he would have received had the student remained enrolled past the 30th day. If the student receives (or SCSU or parent receives on the student’s behalf) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, SCSU must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of: 1. the student’s institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or 2. the entire amount of excess funds. SCSU must return this amount even if it didn’t keep this amount of the Title IV program funds. If SCSU is not required to return all of the excess funds, the student must return the remaining amount. Any loan funds that must be return, the student (or the student’s parent for a PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is the student makes scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time. Any amount of unearned grant funds that the student must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of grant overpayment that the student must repay is half of the grant funds s/he received or was scheduled to receive. The student does not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. The student must make arrangements with SCSU or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds. The requirements for Title IV program funds when the student withdraws are separate from any refund policy that SCSU may have. Therefore, the student may still owe funds to SCSU to cover unpaid

institutional charges. SCSU may also charge the student for any Title IV program funds that the school was required to return. If the student does not already know what the school’s refund policy is, s/he can ask the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for a copy. SCSU registrar’s office can also provide the student with the requirements and procedures for officially withdrawing from school. For more information about the Title IV program funds, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at Withdrawal Policy for State, Institutional, and other financial aid If a refund balance still remains after the Title IV withdrawal calculations has been performed, the school will perform a withdrawal calculation to determine what portion of the state, institutional or other financial aid the student has earned. All of the unearned funding will be refunded in the following sequence: Connecticut Aid to Public Schools Grant, Connecticut State University Grant, Governor’s Scholarship Grant, and any general institutional or scholarships programs the student may received.

Residence Status Any student classified as an out-of-state resident who feels that they qualifiy as a bona fide resident of Connecticut may request a change of classification. However, the student should be aware that the law is very clear in stating the following: • The domicile of any unemancipated person is that of their parent; • The establishment of a new domicile in the state by an emancipated person has not occurred until they have resided in this state for a period of not less than a year; • No emancipated person shall be deemed to have gained residence while attending college in this state as a full-time student in the absence of a clear demonstration that they have

established domicile in the state (domicile: denotes a person’s true, fixed, and permanent home and place of habitation. It is the place where they intend to remain and to which they expect to return when they leave without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere); • The domicile of any emancipated person receiving regular financial assistance from their parent, or whose parents’ income was taken into account by any private or governmental agency furnishing financial educational assistance to such person, including scholarships, loans, or otherwise, is that of their parent; • The spouse of any person who is classified as an in-state student shall likewise be entitled to classification as an in-state student; • Foreign students in temporary United States government status (visa-holders) cannot establish permanent domicile in Connecticut. In consequence of these provisions of the law, before reclassification can take place, the registrar will require the following: • A notarized statement from the student’s parent stating that the student has attained the age of 18 and that the parent has “entirely surrendered the right to care, custody, and earnings of such person and is no longer under an legal obligation to support or maintain such student.” In the absence of any of these, the student shall be considered “unemancipated.” • Clear demonstration of the establishment of a permanent domicile in this state. A one-year lease on an apartment is acceptable; a school year (September to May) lease or what is clearly “off campus housing” is not. • Verification by the Financial Aid Office that no form of financial aid or loan is dependent either on the income of the parent or on out-ofstate residence. Students who feel that they can meet these criteria are welcome to apply for change of classification. FINANCIAL AID AND BUSINESS OFFICE POLICIES 35

The CSU System Residency Reclassification Affidavit is available at, or in the Registrar’s Office, Wintergreen Building.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy at Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy is based on federal guidelines that require each college and university to ensure that student aid applicants are progressing through their academic programs at an acceptable pace while maintaining an acceptable cumulative grade point average. The policy is separate and apart from other academic policies at the university. Students failing one or more of the SAP standards are ineligible to receive financial aid from the programs managed by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for the entire academic year (i.e., summer, fall and spring semesters). The SAP policy affects student eligibility for the following federal and state financial aid programs: • Federal Pell Grant • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant • Federal Perkins Loan • Federal Direct Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized) • Federal Direct PLUS Loan • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan • Federal Work Study • Connecticut Aid to Public Schools Grant • Connecticut Assistance for Public Colleges for Work Program • Connecticut State University Grant • State Scholarship and Grant Programs • Other Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards • Grade Point Average (Qualitative): Undergradu-

ate students are expected to maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 at SCSU and graduate students are expected to maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0. 36 FINANCIAL AID AND BUSINESS OFFICE POLICIES

• Credit Completion Rate (Quantitative): Undergraduate and graduate students are expected to successfully complete at least 67% of the credits attempted at SCSU. Incompletes (I), withdrawals (W, WF, and WP), course repetitions, non-credit remedial courses and grades not reported by a professor (R) will be included in this assessment. Transfer credits will be counted as attempted and earned credits in the calculation for determining SAP. See Sample: Summer 2011 Fall 2011 Fall 2011 Spring 2011

3 credits 15 transfer credits 15 credits 15 credits

The student transferred and registered for a total of 48 credits during summer, fall and spring. Based on 48 credits, the student needs to pass a minimum of 32 credits (48 attempted credits multiply by 67% = 32 credits) to successfully complete the credit completion rate. • Maximum Credit Hours: A student may receive financial aid for attempted credits in their program of study; however, the number of attempted credits cannot exceed 150% of the university’s published credit hours for the educational program in which the student is enrolled. This includes transfer credits. For example: Student needs 122 credits to complete the undergraduate degree. If the student is unable to complete the degree in 122 credits then the student has up to 150% maximum time frame to complete the degree (122 multiply by 150%) which is 183 credits. A student who transfers 90 credits to SCSU and completes 95 credits at SCSU will not be eligible for financial aid (90 transfer credits plus 95 registered credits = 185 credits) because the student exceeded the 150% maximum time frame of 183 credits. After grades are posted in June, students who have not met the SAP standards will be notified in writing of their ineligibility to receive financial aid at SCSU.

If extenuating circumstances exist which caused the student to fail one of the SAP standards, the student can submit an appeal for reinstatement of his/her financial aid as determined by SCSU. SAP appeals may be based on factors such as: (1) the death of a relative; (2) an injury to or illness of the student; or (3) other special circumstances. To file an appeal, the student must complete the SAP Appeal Form and attach a written statement that addresses why he/she failed to make SAP and what has changed that will allow him/her to meet the SAP standards during the next academic year. The SAP Appeal Form, written statement and supporting documentation must be submitted to the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs in Engleman Hall, Room A106 for review and resolution. The SAP Appeal Form is available online at financialaid.

The Dean of Student Affairs office will review each appeal and determine the following: • The student’s appeal may be denied thus making him/her ineligible for any Title IV funding and most other financial assistance for the next academic year. In this case, the student must regain eligibility without financial aid before consideration of a second appeal; or • The student’s appeal may be approved. This will allow the student to receive financial aid contingent upon the successful completion of the requirements set forth in the SAP contract. The student will be placed on financial aid probation. Financial aid probation is a status a school assigns to a student who is failing to make SAP and successfully appeals. Eligibility for aid may be reinstated for one semester.


HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY Southern Connecticut State University is committed to the health, wellness and safety of all members of the university community. The following pages provide detailed information on the policies, regulations and procedures designed to provide a safe and healthy environment conducive to academic and personal growth. This section includes descriptions of the university offices that address all campus health, wellness and safety issues.

Good Samaritan Medical Amnesty Statement Southern Connecticut State University encourages living and learning environments that promote the health and safety of all members of the SCSU community. The misuse of alcohol and other drugs poses a serious threat to the physical and mental health of the individual and places the entire campus community at risk. The University expects students to abide by state and federal laws, as well as University policies, regarding alcohol and drug possession and 38 HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY

consumption. However, the University recognizes that there may be times when students face medical emergencies involving excessive drinking and/or drug use. This Good Samaritan Statement seeks to diminish fear of disciplinary and conduct sanctions in such situations and to encourage individuals and organizations to seek needed medical attention for students in distress as a result of excessive alcohol and/or other drug abuse. In an effort to foster responsible student behavior and to respect the health and welfare of all members of the SCSU community, if an individual or organization reaches out to a campus official seeking medical attention for him/herself or for another, the student or organization requesting assistance and the student requiring assistance may not be subject to the typical disciplinary sanctions for a violation of campus alcohol and drug policies, as long as the individuals or organizations comply with all assessments and follow-up required by the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs.

This Good Samaritan Statement applies only to cases where there is a legitimate concern for a person’s wellbeing as a result of excessive alcohol or drug use. Additional infractions occurring simultaneous to the alcohol or drug use (i.e., acts of vandalism, physical assault, disorderly conduct) will be adjudicated separately. If the student is involved in any subsequent or repeat incidents involving misuse of alcohol and other drugs, the situation will be evaluated by the Dean of Students Office to determine if the Good Samaritan Statement applies. Further, this statement applies only to campus disciplinary procedures and does not apply to local, state, and federal processes.

Alcohol And Drug Policies As a condition of receiving Federal funds, the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act of 1989 requires Southern Connecticut State University and other institutions of higher education throughout the country to adopt and implement a drug and alcohol prevention program. This notice is published pursuant to the requirement of the act. The university recognizes that the misuse of alcohol or the use of illegal drugs represents a serious threat to the physical and mental well-being of its students and the entire community. Our common goal is to foster a university community where the intellectual development of students is free from the harmful effects of alcohol and drugs. Each person has a responsibility to help safeguard the community health by respecting university policy and intervening in situations of abuse. Addressing the drug and alcohol problem in our society and community requires caring, cooperation and support of every member of the university community. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act: Parental Notification The university reserves the right as permitted by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) to notify parents/guardians if their son or daughter, under 21 years of age, has been determined to have violated the university’s Alcohol and Drug Policy.

Program Review The university will conduct a biennial review of these programs and policies to determine their effectiveness, make changes where necessary and ensure that sanctions and interventions are consistently enforced. The following is intended to provide clear guidelines for members of the university community: Alcohol • Campus policy permits the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages at Southern Connecticut State University under controlled conditions at registered special events. • All students of the university shall observe the laws of the State of Connecticut concerning alcoholic beverages. • As adults, all students of the university are expected to take personal responsibility for their own conduct. • The possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages shall be restricted to those persons who have reached the legal drinking age. The university reserves the right to request proper proof of age or identification from any person. Those attending a function must be members of the Southern Connecticut State University community or their escorted guests. • Students are expected to consider the rights of others and use mature and responsible judgment concerning the use of alcoholic beverages. • Alcoholic beverages may not be served at any time without the prior approval of the appropriate designated agent. • Student clubs and organizations are not permitted to sponsor an event, on-or offcampus, where alcoholic beverages are served or provided unless the event is registered and approved by the Dean of Student Affairs. • University-recognized student organizations are prohibited from sponsoring “bring your own” events (on or off campus) at which individuals carry their own alcoholic beverages HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY 39

into the facility. An exception may be made for Parents Day/Homecoming, which is the major university-sponsored event involving alumni, parents and students. • The possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited in academic buildings, out-of-doors on any part of the campus and at any intercollegiate or intramural athletic activity unless the event is registered and approved by the Dean of Student Affairs. • State law prohibits the unlicensed sale of alcoholic beverages on the campus. Therefore, no financial arrangements between the sponsor of an event and guests are permitted whenever alcohol is to be served, (i.e., no admission fees can be charged, donations accepted or tickets sold.) • Food and non-alcoholic beverages must be available at all times during an approved special event involving the consumption of alcoholic beverages. • Any person or organization violating state law or these regulations will be subject to disciplinary action by the university and/or referral to the appropriate civil authorities. Drugs • The possession, distribution and consumption of illicit drugs and the abuse of prescription and over-the-counter drugs and anabolic steroids are prohibited. • The university recognizes that drug problems are complex, and it will make every effort to assist students who have a problem. However, students must understand that, apart from the professional resources of the university, drug problems revealed or uncovered in the normal course of administrative operations will be treated as disciplinary matters in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct. • Students found guilty of violations of this policy shall be subject to university disciplinary action that may include suspension or expulsion. In addition to the penalties that may be imposed 40 HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY

by campus authorities, criminal prosecution may also be initiated.

Alcohol and Drug Education And Prevention Programs Individual Counseling and Referral Students can talk to a licensed professional about personal issues concerning their own use of alcohol or other drugs or that of a friend or loved one. All services are confidential and free of charge to registered students. Please contact the Drug and Alcohol Resource Center at (203) 392-5087 to set up an appointment. Drug and Alcohol Resource Center (DARC) The Drug and Alcohol Resource Center (DARC) staff provides free and confidential screening, evaluation and counseling to those concerned about their own substance use and those in violation of the university alcohol and drug policies. In addition, the DARC office serves as a storehouse of information on alcohol, tobacco and other drugs with pamphlets, books, journal articles and other materials available to students, faculty and staff. For more information, visit the office in Schwartz Hall or call (203) 3925087. Southern Task Force On Prevention (STOP) This is a committee made up of students, faculty, staff and members of the New Haven community who are committed to reducing high-risk drinking and other drug abuse. STOP develops and coordinates prevention, education, intervention and treatment services for the campus community. STOP also promotes healthy and safe lifestyles and encourages personal responsibility. STOP is always looking for student representatives to serve on the committee or volunteer for projects. Please call (203) 392-5087 if you are interested in getting involved. Anti-Drinking and Driving There are a number of opportunities for students

to get involved in anti-drinking and driving educational programs and prevention activities. Please call (203) 392-5087 for more information or to get involved. Self-Help Groups For more information about Alcoholics Anonymous, Al-Anon, and Narcotics Anonymous, please contact the Drug and Alcohol Resource Center at (203) 392-5087.

Alcohol and Drug Health Risks Although most students don’t engage in high-risk drinking (drinking to high blood alcohol levels, drinking to the point of blacking out, etc.) and illicit drug use, alcohol and drug abuse does have profound effects on the body. Such use may result in impaired judgment and coordination; physical and psychological dependence; damage to vital organs such as the heart, stomach, liver and brain; inability to learn and remember information; psychosis and severe anxiety; injury and death. (Thirty-eight to 50 percent of all fatal accidents involve alcohol.) Sexuality Because judgment, reasoning, communication and perception are all affected by alcohol and other drugs, one’s substance choices may lead to such things as sexual exploitation, unwise choice of partners, unwanted pregnancies and the increased risk of sexually transmitted diseases, including AIDS. Drinking and Driving In Connecticut, a person is legally intoxicated when their blood alcohol content (BAC) reaches 0.08 percent. If you are arrested for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, your license will be suspended for 90 days. Drivers between 16 and 24 have twice as many fatal crashes per mile as older motorists. When alcohol is involved, younger drivers are much less likely to use seatbelts, and their fatal crash rate is almost three times greater than older drivers.

Alcohol and Drug Legal Sanctions The university campus is subject to State and Federal laws concerning use and possession of alcohol and drugs. Individuals must be aware of and abide by these laws or face legal prosecution. Alcohol: Section 30- 89(a) of the Connecticut General Statutes states that it is unlawful for a minor (under the age of 21) to purchase or attempt to purchase or to make a false statement in connection with the attempted purchase of alcohol. The 1st offense is a $136.00 infraction and the 2nd & subsequent offenses result in fines ranging between $200.00 and $500.00. Section 30- 89(b) states that possession of alcohol by a minor on a street, highway or public place is illegal. The 1st offense is a $136.00 infraction and a 30-day suspension of an individual’s driving license. The 2nd and subsequent offenses result in fines ranging between $200.00 and $500.00 and may result in the suspension of an individual’s driver’s license. Drugs: The Connecticut General Statutes cover a wide range of drug offenses, including the offer, the sale, the possession with intent to sell, the gift and the mere possession of various drugs. [21a CONN. GEN. STAT. Section 277, 278, 279 (1988)] Among other provisions, the state laws create the following mandatory minimum prison sentences for first-time offenders who are not “drug-dependent” persons: • Five years for the manufacture or sale or possession with intent to sell of one ounce or more of heroin, methadone or cocaine or onehalf gram or more of cocaine in a freebase form or five milligrams or more of LSD; • Five years for the manufacture or sale or possession with intent to sell of any narcotic, hallucinogenic or amphetamine-type substance or one kilogram or more of a cannabis-type substance, including marijuana; • Five years for the offer or gift of any of the above drugs in the respective amounts. Conviction for the possession of drugs carries no HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY 41

mandatory minimum sentence but the following maximum sentences do exist for first-time offenders: • Seven years or $50,000.00 or both for possession of any quantity of a narcotic, including cocaine and “crack,” morphine or heroin; • Five years or $2,000.00 or both for possession of any quantity of a hallucinogen (such as LSD or peyote) or four ounces or more of a cannabis-type substance (which includes marijuana); • One year or $1,000.00 or both for possession of less than four ounces of a cannabis-type substance or any quantity of a controlled drug, such as amphetamines or barbiturates. Actual sentences depend on the severity and the circumstances of the offense and the character and background of the offender. Federal law also penalizes the manufacture, distribution, possession with intent to manufacture or distribute and simple possession of drugs (“controlled substances”) Controlled Substances Act 21 U.S.C. Section 841, 843[b], 844, 845, 846 (1988). The law sets the following sentences for first-time offenders: • A minimum of ten years and a maximum of life imprisonment or $4,000,000.00 or both for the knowing or intentional manufacture, sale or possession with intent to sell, of large amounts of any narcotic, including heroin, morphine or cocaine (including “crack”) or of phencyclidine (PCP) or of LSD or of marijuana (1,000 kilograms or more); • A minimum of five years and maximum of 40 years or $2,000,000.00 or both for similar actions involving smaller amounts of any narcotic, including heroin, morphine or cocaine (which includes “crack”) or phencyclidine (PCP) or of LSD or of marijuana (100 kilograms or more); • A maximum of five years or $250,000.00 or both for similar actions involving smaller amounts of marijuana (less than 50 kilograms), hashish, hashish oil, PCP or LSD or any 42 HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY

amounts of amphetamines, barbiturates and other controlled stimulants and depressives; • Four years or $30,000.00 or both for using the mail, telephone, radio or any other public or private means of communication to commit acts that violate the laws against the manufacture, sale and possession of drugs; • One year or $1,000.00 or both for possession of any controlled substance (the gift of a “small amount” of marijuana is subject to the penalties for simple possession). Penalties may be doubled, however, when a person at least 18 years old [1] distributes a controlled substance to a person under 21 years of age and (a term of imprisonment for this offense shall not be less than one year) or [2] distributes, possesses with intent to distribute or manufactures a controlled substance in or on or within 1,000 feet of, the real property comprising a public or private elementary, vocational or secondary school or a public or private college. Any attempt or conspiracy to commit one of the above federal offenses, even if unsuccessful, is punishable by the same sentence proscribed for that offense. A first-time offender may receive only probation and later have the charge dismissed. Although in some cases the federal penalties seem somewhat lighter, it is not possible to “trade” a state charge for a federal one. State and Federal law thus make crimes of many different activities involving drugs. Simple possession, giving or merely offering drugs is illegal, as are such offenses as the manufacture or sale of drugs.

Bicycles, Rollerblading, and Skateboarding In the interest of public safety, bicycles should be securely chained and locked in the bicycle racks available on campus. Bicycles are prohibited from being secured to light poles, railings, benches, etc. Bicycles are prohibited from being parked or stored in university buildings, residence halls, on sidewalks and driveways, or in motor vehicle parking spaces. They must be parked so as not to obstruct free passage of vehicles and pedestrians. The University Police reserve

the right to remove bicycles in violation of this policy and should such removal be required, the university shall not be held liable by the student for damage to the bicycle or the device used to secure it. Rollerblading and skateboarding are prohibited on all parking areas.

Counseling Services SCSU Counseling Services, located in Engleman B 219, is a support resource for accepted and enrolled students who request emotional support while at SCSU. This confidential brief treatment is available free of charge to students between the hours of 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The Center is staffed with licensed counselors, social workers, a psychiatric nurse practitioner and advance practice graduate students. There is a crisis counselor available from 8:30-4 p.m. weekdays for triage of crisis on a walk-in basis or by appointment/referral. These appointments are typically 20 minutes and are used to stabilize the student and determine a treatment/support plan. The Center provides support and therapy groups upon interest and request. Students interested in group counseling should call for more information. The Center also provides psycho-educational programming, classes, life coaching and other forms of holistic mental health support.

Because SCSU Counseling Services is a brief treatment center, students currently in ongoing treatment are strongly encouraged to stay under the care of their existing psychiatrist and/or therapist, and strongly discouraged from discontinuing any form of medication or treatment without direct consultation with their mental health provider. The SCSU community is committed to wellness and suicide prevention. If a student is or knows of another student who has expressed suicidal thoughts, intentions or plan should contact a professional staff/faculty member or University Police at x911 immediately. During the business day, a counselor is available for consultation about how to help a distressed student. Counseling Services can be reached at (203) 392-5475 between the hours of 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Emergency Medical Assistance Emergency medical assistance is initiated with a call to 911. Emergency personnel will obtain a brief description of the emergency and send an officer to the scene. In case of a life-threatening situation (e.g. apparent heart attack, breathing difficulty, state of unconsciousness, etc.), emergency personnel will call simultaneously for an ambulance and arrange for an escort for the ambulance to the exact campus HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY 43

location. In all cases, Health Services will be notified of the action taken.

Department personnel will announce when it is safe to re-enter a building.

Fire Evacuation Procedures

Health and Wellness Center

To ensure the safety and welfare of the university community, all persons must evacuate a building when the fire alarm sounds. When an emergency evacuation of a building is required, the following procedures must be followed: • All persons must evacuate the building to a safe distance, approximately 300 feet. Those persons unable to vacate the building for any reason shall do the following: 1. Notify someone who is leaving the building or call University Police with their specific location. Anyone receiving this information shall ensure that it is passed to the University Police or responding New Haven Fire Department and/or Hamden Fire Department Units, to facilitate search and rescue, if required. 2. Protect themselves as well as possible. For example, they should close the door to the room they are located in, place a coat or similar material under the door to restrict the passage of smoke, seek refuge in stair towers (while not blocking the stairs) or seek refuge inside another room.

Granoff Student Health and Wellness Center is located in Granoff Hall on Wintergreen Avenue. The Center is staffed by a physician, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, health educators and support personnel. The Center provides ambulatory care services to students by appointment; urgent care is available on a walk-in basis. With two campuses of Yale New Haven Hospital in close proximity, referrals in emergency situations can be done expeditiously. The Center maintains resources on many topics, including stress management, life balance, sexual responsibility, healthy eating and physical activity. Students desiring guidance in any health problem should feel free to consult the Health & Wellness staff. The following services (based on availability) are provided by the Health & Wellness Center for an additional fee, and are subject to change without notice: ● Annual Flu shots: $15.00 ● Hepatitis B antibody testing: $22.00 ● Hepatitis B vaccination: $35.00 ● MMR, Meningitis, Tetanus/Tdap, Varicella, HPV vaccinations: $20.00* *(These vaccinations are only offered to un-or underinsured individuals.) ● Measles antibody testing: $20.00 ● Monospot: $5.00 ● Mumps antibody testing: $22.00 ● Plan B (emergency contraception): $25.00 ● Rapid Strep: $10.00 ● Rubella antibody testing: $22.00 ● Tuberculin skin testing (PPD): $10.00 ● Urine pregnancy testing: $5.00 ● Varicella antibody testing: $30.00

• Persons noticing any dangerous conditions or problems during evacuation (i.e. persons unable to evacuate, fire or smoke) must report this information to responding emergency personnel or to the University Police Department by means of an office or interior emergency telephone. • Faculty, staff and students shall not re-enter the building until directed to do so by University Police or Fire Department personnel. The alarms may be silenced to facilitate communications with emergency personnel once the building is essentially evacuated. This is not the signal to re-enter. Police and Fire 44 HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY

The Health Center telephone number is (203) 392-6300. If you are unable to reach a staff member at this number, please call University Police at (203) 392-5375 or call 911 in an emergency. For more information about the Health Center visit

The Wellness Center is a non-judgmental and confidential place for the Southern community to come for information, conversation and referrals on topics related to health and wellness. The Wellness Center collaborates with other departments on campus and in the community to provide comprehensive programs and services for students, faculty and staff. The Wellness Center maintains resources on many topics, including stress management, life balance, sexuality, healthy eating and physical activity. The Wellness Center is located in Granoff Hall, Room 47. For more information call (203) 3926526, e-mail, or visit

Health Immunization Requirements All full-time undergraduate and matriculated part-time undergraduate and graduate students must have properly completed health forms on file at the Granoff Student Health & Wellness Center prior to registration. Connecticut State Statutes require each full-time student as well as matriculating students to provide proof of 2 doses of MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine. The doses should be separated by at least 28 days with dose number one given on or after the first birthday. All incoming freshmen will also be required to show proof of 2 doses of Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine. The doses should be separated by at least 28 days with dose number one given on or after the first birthday. The only exceptions are the following: • Those born before January 1, 1957 for MMR, and those born in the United State before January 1, 1980 for Varicella. • Those with a valid medical exemption signed by their healthcare provider. • Those who provide documented laboratory proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Varicella. • Those who provide a written statement that immunization is contrary to their religious beliefs. • Those with documentation from a physician or

director of health that the student has had a confirmed case of such disease. • Students who graduated from a Connecticut high school in 1999 or later and were not exempt from MMR vaccinations (does not apply to varicella requirement). • Those enrolled in on-line courses only. Adequate immunization Measles (Rubeola): one injection at 12 months of age or older and on or after January 1, 1969, and a second injection after January 1, 1980. Mumps: one injection after 12 months of age or older and on or after January 1, 1969, and a second injection after January 1, 1980. German Measles (Rubellla): one injection after 12 months of age. Chicken Pox (Varicella): proof of two injections: dose number one on or after 12 months of age and the second dose at least four weeks apart. Individuals born prior to January 1, 1980 are exempt from this requirement. Additional Requirement for On-Campus Residence Students Connecticut State Statutes also require all students living in on-campus housing to be vaccinated against Meningococcal Meningitis with meningococcal conjugate vaccine (a booster is recommended if the first dose was given before age 16 years). The only exceptions are the following: • Those with a valid medical exemption signed by their healthcare provider. • Those who provide a statement that immunization is contrary to their religious beliefs. Documentation must be submitted to the University Health Service prior to moving into campus residence facilities. The university reserves the right to deny registration and campus housing to any student not in compliance with the above health requirements. Questions may be directed to: Granoff Student Health & Wellness Center Southern CT State University Phone: (203) 392-6300; Fax (203) 392-6301 HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY 45

Health Assistance Off-Campus The Health Center web site maintains a list of after-hours providers and various off-campus agencies that are accessible to students by referral. If any student has a question about a service that cannot be provided on campus, they are encouraged to contact a member of the health center staff.

Health and Accident Insurance Accident insurance is part of the General Fee paid by all full-time students. Besides accident coverage, the university also requires a sickness insurance plan to cover surgical expenses and hospitalization costs. All full-time students will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the sickness insurance plan unless they file a waiver at indicating equivalent coverage. Part-time matriculated students taking a minimum of six credits are also eligible to purchase the university policy and must do so to participate in campus clubs/organizations. Parental Notification Guidelines Southern Connecticut State University adopted these parental notification guidelines for student misconduct in 2000. • Whereas excessive, abusive, illegal and/or repetitive use of alcohol and/or drugs is inconsistent with the educational mission of the university; • Whereas unauthorized use and/or possession of alcohol or drugs generally represent violations of law for persons under the age of 21; • Whereas excessive, abusive, illegal and/or repetitive use or possession of alcohol and/or drugs threatens the well-being of persons and property and tends to diminish students’ prospects for personal and intellectual development and academic success; • Whereas student’s parents or guardians are respected for their roles as partners with the university in supporting the students’ 46 HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY

personal and intellectual development and academic success; The Dean of Student Affairs or his designee has the authority to determine when and by what means to notify parents or guardians when students under the age of 21 are found to have committed serious or repeated violations of university policies related to the possession, use or distribution of alcohol or drugs. Notification of parents is indicated when the following conditions occur: 1. The violation involved harm or threat of harm to persons or property. 2. The violation involved an arrest in which the student was taken into custody. 3. The violation resulted in or could result in the student being suspended from the university and/or dismissed from the residence halls. 4. The student has shown a pattern of violations, even if the student is not a minor. Two or more violations associated with drug or alcohol use would be reasonable cause for notice. 5. The student who committed the violation became physically ill and/or required medical intervention as a result of consumption of alcohol or drugs. Furthermore, Nothing in these guidelines shall prevent university officials from notifying parents or guardians of health or safety emergencies, regardless of the judicial status of the student. Nothing in these guidelines should preclude the university from notifying parents or guardians when students under the age of 21 are involved in a group activity off campus in which the student’s organization is found to have violated university policy with respect to the use and/or consumption of alcohol or drugs. The Dean of Student Affairs may delegate the notification of parents to other officials under the Dean’s supervision. Whenever possible, students will be informed that parental notification will take place prior to their parents’ receiving notice.

Safety Procedures For Students With Severe Medical/Emotional Problems If, due to severe medical or emotional problems, a student: engages or threatens to engage in behavior that poses a danger of causing physical harm to others, then the following procedures will be implemented: 1. University Police are to be contacted immediately. An officer will be dispatched immediately to the scene. If the officer determines that further action is needed, University Police will contact the ambulance service and the student will be transported to the hospital by ambulance to be evaluated. 2. The Dean of Student Affairs or their designee shall notify the parent(s) of students, the spouse or other close relative. The Dean will inform the appropriate party that they must take custody of the student and will describe the procedure needed to gain re-entry into the university and/or university housing. 3. If the Dean of Student Affairs determines that the student poses a threat to others, an interim administrative withdrawal will be imposed. A student subject to an interim withdrawal will be notified and will not be permitted to return to the university without a written evaluation by a psychiatrist. 4. Based on this written evaluation, the Dean will, in consultation with appropriate staff, determine whether the student may: a. return to the university and/or university housing; b. return to the university and/or university housing under certain prescribed conditions; c. be withdrawn from the university and/or university housing.

Indoor Safety The university is committed to providing a safe learning and working environment. Ball playing and the use of skateboards, roller skates, roller blades, bicycles and other recreational items are prohibited inside all buildings. Individuals using wheelchairs or

similar mechanical devices must be mindful of the speed at which they travel through hallways.

Pets On Campus For reasons of health, sanitation and pest control, no companion animals or other animals are permitted on campus. The only exception to this policy will be assistance animals with prior approval, and therapy pets with the approval of the Dean of Students office. Fish and limited aquatic animals are permitted with an aquarium agreement on file in advance.

Search And Seizure Policy Southern Connecticut State University, as a state institution of higher education, recognizes a need for balance between its right to maintain an orderly educational environment and its students’ constitutional right to privacy. The Search and Seizure Policy is designed to reflect the principle of due process and fairness found in the Constitution of the United States and criminal law; it complements the university’s health and safety searches provided for in the Guide to OnCampus Housing, and it reflects the university’s concern for protection of the rights of all members of the academic community. The following procedure will be followed: A. All residence hall room searches, except those conducted by law enforcement officers, must be authorized by the President. If such a search is deemed necessary by the Dean of Student Affairs, they will request authorization from the President. This written request must specify the applicant(s) requesting the search, date, the reason for the search; the material to be seized; the room(s) to be searched; the name(s) of the occupant(s) and the names of the person(s) other than the occupant(s) of the room who will be present during the search. B. A room may be searched only if there is probable cause to believe that a student is using their room in violation of federal, state or local laws or university regulations. Probable HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY 47

cause is defined as facts and/or circumstances sufficiently strong to warrant a prudent person to believe beyond mere suspicion that the room is being used for such a purpose. C. If the President thinks such probable cause exists, they will authorize in writing an administrative search warrant specifying the room(s) to be searched, its occupant(s), and the material to be seized and those authorized to conduct the search. D. In conducting a search, every reasonable effort shall be made to have the occupant(s) of the room present. If present, the occupant(s) shall be: 1. given the reason for the search and the material to be seized; 2. presented a copy of the administrative search warrant; and 3. informed that any material found may be used both in a university judicial hearing and in a court of law. If the occupant(s) is not present, the search may be conducted and the occupant(s) shall be notified of the search and the outcome. E. All room searches will be conducted by a professional member of the Student Affairs staff who will serve as a witness of the procedures followed and will make a record of the items located and confiscated during the search. F. The search will be conducted, when possible, in the presence of: 1. the Residence Hall Director; 2. the Inter-Residence Council President or, in their absence, any officer of the executive board; 3. the Resident Adviser of the floor, if available, or any other Resident Adviser of the hall. G. Should the search for specified material uncover other material indicating illegal activity or violation of university regulations, it also will be seized. All illegal items obtained during the search will be turned over immediately to the University Police. H. Search and seizure for purposes related to 48 HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY

suspected violation of civil or criminal law of the state may be deferred to the University Police or to the civil authorities. Such authorities have the right to search the premises and possessions of any student by following the ordinary procedures and requirements for lawful search. Any information discovered through such a search may be used as evidence in any civil or criminal proceedings and by university officials when violations of the Student Code of Conduct occur.

Smoking Policy: Smoke Free Campus Southern Connecticut State University is a smokefree campus. Smoking (including electronic, or e-cigarettes) is prohibited inside all buildings including State and University owned vehicles. This restriction applies to all indoor space, including private faculty and administrative offices and dining facilities. Smoking is banned in all classrooms, offices, building entrances, hallways, stairwells, reception areas, restrooms, work and eating areas, elevators, meeting rooms, lounges, and all common areas (CGS 31-40q). The prohibition from smoking in building entrances refers not only to the doorways, but to the area immediately outside of the entrances, at least 25 feet from any building entrance or overhang. This is intended to ensure that individuals entering or exiting a building are not forced to inhale the smoke, as well as to prevent the smoke from entering the buildings themselves. In accordance with Connecticut State Statutes (19a-342), violators of the no-smoking policy are subject to a $75 fine through an infraction ticket.This policy applies equally to students, employees and visitors. The thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of all members of the University community is needed.

Student Center Regulations Willful or careless damage to the Michael J. Adanti Student Center property or equipment shall necessitate replacement by the responsible group or individual. Furniture and equipment are not to be removed from the building or from room to room

without prior approval in writing from the Student Center Office. Lounge furniture is not to be removed, rearranged or defaced. Meetings held in the center are to adjourn at least 15 minutes before the scheduled building closing time, unless approval for extended hours has been secured in advance from the Director of the Student Center. Health and Sanitation Everyone must wear shirts and shoes in the Student Center. No animals are permitted in the Student Center. Student Dress Students are expected to dress in good taste and in appropriate attire for classroom and campus activities. Bare feet are not acceptable in academic or food service buildings on campus

Shuttle Bus Service The university provides shuttle bus service contracted by First Transit Group Sunday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. and Fridays 7:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. All shuttles are fully airconditioned and will pick up and drop off

passengers at the designated bus shelters located in lot # 1 near Davis Hall, the Main Faculty and Staff lot at Morrill Hall, at the Adanti Student Center, at lots #8 and 9 on Farnham Avenue, at North Campus and in front of Hickerson Hall. All the shuttles are handicapped accessible and equipped with a lift gate and tie downs to accommodate wheelchairs and motor scooters. Students who require this service must register through Disability Resource Center and must provide a valid doctor’s note to use this service. Once registered, students requiring this service should call First Transit at (203) 281-5470 at least 20 minutes prior to pickup. Weekday shuttle services to and from New Haven’s Union Station run Monday through Thursday from 7:15 a.m. until 9:00 p.m., and Fridays from 7:15 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. After 11:00 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday, a student may utilize the Late Night Owl Service, which provides walking escorts to students and staff. The number to call for the Late Night Owl Service is (203) 392-6367. There is also weekend shuttle bus service for residential students. There are two routes, one to Hamden Plaza, downtown New Haven and Union Station and the other route to Westfield Mall in HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY 49

Milford, CT. The pick-up location is at the shuttle bus stop outside of Hickerson Hall. This service is from 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, with the route being repeated every hour on the hour with the last departure from Hickerson Hall at 8:00 p.m. First Transit also provides shuttle dispatcher services from 7:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday – Thursday, and Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Students should call (203) 281-5470 for shuttle questions or concerns during these times. For the shuttle schedule please visit

Traffic and Parking Regulations Providing adequate parking facilities and the proper supervision of campus traffic is a major problem on university campuses throughout the United States. This is especially true at institutions like Southern Connecticut State University, where a large part of the student body commutes daily. To protect students and visitors to the university from automobile accidents, as well as to provide security for motor vehicles parked on campus, the following rules and regulations must be observed. Failure to comply may lead to the issuance of a university parking ticket and/or a State motor vehicle infraction, the towing of the vehicle at the owner’s expense and when warranted, disciplinary action by the university. The university reserves the right to tow or impound any vehicle that is illegally parked or parked in a way that constitutes a serious hazard, impedes vehicle or pedestrian movements, or impairs the operation of emergency equipment and/or the making of repairs. Owners will be required to pay all costs involved in removing and impounding vehicles. In a spirit of cooperation with the New Haven and Hamden communities, students are asked not to park their vehicles on city streets in residential areas adjacent to the campus.


Vehicle Registration 1. All vehicles operated or parked on campus at any time must be properly registered by the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state in which the license plate is issued. All vehicles operated or parked on campus at any time must properly display a Southern parking decal. Vehicle owners and operators must register their vehicles at the University Police Department. Only one decal per person will be issued. 2. Persons seeking a decal must present, at the time of application, a current, valid student I.D. and operator’s license, and a current, valid vehicle registration. Students must also present their class schedule as proof of their registration. 3. Any false or incorrect information given at the time of registration will automatically render the decal void. 4. The registration for student vehicles is complete only after the decal is permanently affixed inside the driver’s side of the front windshield. 5. A parking decal is no guarantee of a parking space. Each vehicle operator is responsible for finding a legal parking space. Lack of space is not a valid excuse for violating any parking regulation. 6. Decals must be removed from vehicles that are being sold or no longer used on the campus. Outdated parking decals should be removed when a new decal is issued. A remover tool is available at the University Police Department. Any transfer, exchange, sale, misuse, or reproduction of a decal is unauthorized. All violators will have their decals removed and their vehicles towed at their own expense. 7. A special parking permit for students who have temporary disabilities is available from the University Police Department. The applicant must first provide a written verification of disability status to the university physician in the Student Health Center, who will determine the extent of the disability and the expected period of disability. Faculty and

staff who have a temporary disability must notify Human Resources, and parking will be arranged as needed. 8. If you drive a vehicle without a decal you must obtain a day pass at University Police before attempting to enter a restricted area. Regulations 1. Residence hall and commuter students must park their vehicles only in designated lots. All student-parking areas are designated for specific groups indicated below. Only vehicles with appropriate decals are permitted in these areas. Eligible Residence Hall Students: First-time residential students will not be permitted to park a motorized vehicle on campus. a. Residence Hall Students: Lots #4, #4A, #6B, and the resident garage. Lots #10 and #11 are available to Schwartz Hall residents. North Campus parking is located at 180 Pine Rock Avenue and can accommodate vehicles with North Campus decals on a first-come firstserved basis. All resident overflow parking is allowed in the resident parking garage. All parking decals are issued on a first-come first-serve basis. All visitors must have a visitor or overnight parking pass. All visitors with an overnight parking pass must park in the dogleg area of Lot #9. b. Commuter Students: Lots #3, 8 and 9 on Farnham Avenue, and the second, third and fourth floors of the Fitch Street Garage, and all levels of the Wintergreen Avenue Garage. The University Police Department issues decals to all commuting students. Decals must be affixed to the windshield on the driver’s side. The first floor of the Fitch Street Garage located on Lot #1 will be reserved for faculty, staff and

handicapped parking. No vans will be permitted above the first level. The remaining upper levels will be accessible to all students on a first-come basis. 2. No students will be allowed to park in faculty/staff areas. 3. Faculty, staff and special decal holders must park their vehicles in Lots #1, the main faculty/staff lot (EN), #5 or #12. 4. Graduate students may park in Lot #5 and #12 between 4:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. Graduate students may park in the upper levels of the Fitch Street Parking Garage and lot # 1 the surface lot in front of Davis Hall all day. The Wintergreen Garage is also available all day for graduate students. Graduate students are prohibited from using parking facilities behind Davis Hall. 5. A speed limit of 10 miles per hour will be enforced on all campus roadways, parking lots and garages. 6. Pedestrians must use crosswalks and sidewalks at all times. Pedestrians should not walk in parking lots unless they are going to their vehicles. a. Vehicles must yield to pedestrians in all crosswalks. 7. The approved areas for picking up or discharging passengers are the roadway and turnaround area leading to Engleman Hall off Crescent Street and the Main Lot on Fitch Street by the Guard Booth. When picking up passengers drivers must remain with their vehicles. 8. Drivers who need to pick up or deliver heavy educational materials at Earl Hall may park at the rear of the building for a maximum of 15 minutes. 9. Motorcycles must be parked in parking areas designated “Motorcycle Parking.� 10. Students are responsible for informing their guests of university parking regulations. 11. The university reserves the right to close HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY 51

temporarily a parking area for repairs or for special events. 12. No vehicles are to be parked on the campus between the hours of 11:00 pm and 7:00 am unless prior arrangements are made with the University Police Department. Faculty, staff and non-residence hall students who wish to leave their vehicles on campus overnight while they attend a conference or participate in a university-sponsored trip must park their vehicles in the Fitch Street and Wintergreen Avenue garages and also give their license plate number to university police. 13. Neither the university nor any of its employees assumes responsibility or liability for loss from theft or damage to cars parked in university parking lots. 14. Vehicles violating the following regulations will be issued a university parking ticket and/or a State motor vehicle infraction and towed at the owners’ expense: • Parking in a designated handicapped parking space without displaying a valid Department of Motor Vehicle (Handicapped) permit • Parking within 10 feet of a hydrant • Disobeying a University Police Officer’s instructions • Connecticut Motor Vehicle Laws Fines are as follows for parking in: • Faculty/Staff space: $25.00 • Reserved space: $25.00 • Restricted space: $25.00 • Grassed Areas: $25.00 • Fire Lane: $50.00 • Handicapped space: $100.00 • Driveway: $25.00 • Sidewalk: $25.00 • Failure to Display Current Decal: $15.00 • Impeding Maintenance Operations: $25.00 • Outside of Stall Lines: $25.00 • Snow Ban: $25.00 52 HEALTH, WELLNESS AND SAFETY

Enforcement 1. Southern Police will monitor the parking areas and enforce the above regulations. University fines for traffic and parking violations are $25 and fines for parking in fire lanes $50 and in areas designated by the state of Connecticut for people with disabilities are $100 for each infraction. Failure to display current decal is $15. 2. Fines must be paid at the Bursar’s Office in the Wintergreen Building within 14 days of the date the ticket was issued. Checks must be made payable to Southern Connecticut State University. Failure to make payment within the required time will result in the doubling of the fine. Also, a hold will be placed on a student’s record who fails to pay the amount owed. 3. A portion of the fines collected for the violation of campus parking and traffic regulations are placed in a scholarship fund to assist students at the university and for traffic enforcement supplies and equipment. Traffic And Parking Appeals Committee The Traffic and Parking Appeals Committee hears appeals of penalties assessed for parking or traffic violations. Anyone may appeal a university parking ticket within 14 calendar days of the date of issuance by completing an appeal form. Filing the appeal form will suspend the penalty until disposition of the appeal is made by the committee. Following its decision, the committee will notify both the appellant and the University Police Department in writing of its decision. The appeal form is available at the University Police Department or on-line at

University Police • Routine on-campus: x25375 • Routine off-campus: (203) 392-5375 • Emergency, on-campus: 911 The University Police Department, open 24 hours a day, is located in Granoff Hall. Police officers are

responsible for the safety and protection of the campus and its personnel, as well as for enforcing parking regulations and conducting investigations. Students should promptly report thefts or other incidents on campus directly to the University Police Department. The department provides lost and found services for the entire campus. All University Police officers are state certified. All officers are trained and have the same authority as members of a municipal police department. The department also has male and female officers trained to handle cases of sexual assault. Blue emergency lights are strategically located throughout the university parking lots and mounted on buildings. By pressing the button, you will automatically dial University Police. Silver wallmounted telephones are strategically located inside buildings. Picking up the receiver connects you automatically to University Police. If the telephone is not a direct dial telephone, University Police can be contacted at x25375. The University Police Department offers many programs on crime prevention throughout the year. Students are invited to stop by the department or call (203) 392-5375 for more information.

Walking Escort Service The University Police Department provides 24hour walking escort service to accompany students, faculty and staff to parking lots, residence halls, and other on-campus locations. Call (203) 392-5375 from any telephone or x25375 from telephones on campus. After 11:00 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday, a student may utilize the Late Night Owl Service, which provides walking escorts to students and staff. The number to call for the Late Night Owl Service is (203) 392-6367.

Weather-Related Closing Of The University On days when snow and ice are threatening, the best way to check if there will be a delayed opening, if classes will be canceled or if the university will be closed is to check your Southern email or the university Home Page –

Announcements are also posted on the University’s Facebook page; on the WeatherChek line (203) 392-SNOW (7669) and via text message through the SCSUAlert emergency communication system (To sign up for SCSUAlert, visit Weather-related delays or closings will be normally be made by the following times: • Morning classes by 6 a.m. • Early Afternoon classes by 10 a.m. • Late Afternoon and Evening classes by 2 p.m. Please note: Although the university also uses radio stations and television to issue weather-closing announcements, there is sometimes a delay before these reports are aired.

Wellness Center See Health and Wellness Center, Page 44

Women’s Center The Women’s Center is a place for women and men to gather together to explore and celebrate the richness and diversity of their lives. The center provides information, educational programming, training, referrals, advocacy, and services to foster education, safety, and equity on issues related to feminism, women, men, and gender. The center organizes events of interest to women and men such as discussion groups, a speaker series, workshops, conferences, festivals, and films. The center also maintains a resource room with information on sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, healthy relationships, sexual harassment, stalking, body image, eating disorders, and women’s health. The Coordinator of the Women’s Center is the University’s Sexual Assault Response Team (S.A.R.T.) Coordinator and also provides advocacy for victims in cases of sexual misconduct. The Women’s Center is located in Schwartz Hall. For more information, call (203) 3926946 or visit


INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY POLICIES Important information regarding computers and computer usage at Southern Connecticut State University is outlined in this section of the Student Handbook, including policies governing the student use of university computers, systems and networks.

Office of Information Technology-Support Services (OIT) The Office of Information Technology (OIT) supports all computing related to Southern coursework. The administrative offices are located in Office Building 1 with the primary computer labs operating in both Buley Library and Jennings Hall.


The equipment consists of up-to-date PC and Macintosh computers loaded with current versions of popular software, as well as software required for coursework. A Hoot Loot card is required for printing in any of the labs. Black-and-white and color printing is available for a fee, with payment via Hoot Loot card only. Students will need their network ID username and password to access this equipment, and university e-mail and campus portal services. If you do not know your ID and password, or they need to be changed, please bring your student ID to either Buley Library or Office Building #1 or contact the Help Desk at (203) 392-5123. The staffed hours

of operation during the regular semester for Buley Library are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The labs are open additional hours without staff. For more information, please contact Director John Young at (203) 392-6279.

Student Software Ownership And Software Developments It shall be the policy of the state system of higher education that the end product of any work done by a student from any of the state's public colleges or universities to convert, modify, or update state-owned software shall be owned by the state. If a student from any college or university receives monetary remuneration from the state for creating software, including source code and/or documentation, it shall belong to the state. Software belongs to the student but shall be licensed gratis to the state for use/or modification under the following conditions: (a) the state, at the inception of the project, informs the student in writing of the state's intention to use the software; and/or (b) the student uses state computer resources to create software. The state shall not have any other rights to such software. Any software developed by a student, unless it is 1.) covered under policy statements above or 2.) produced under the provisions of a grant or an agreement with an outside funding agent, is owned by the student.

Student Use Of Computer Systems And Networks A. Policy Statement University computer systems and networks are provided for student use as a part of the university academic program. Students are encouraged to become proficient in the use of computers as a means of enhancing their educational experience. However, widespread student use also necessitates certain rules of computer conduct. Computer misconduct can result in restrictions on or revocation

of computer access privileges. University computer systems and networks constitute an expensive and valuable resource. The capacity of this resource to fulfill all the legitimate academic and administrative needs of students, faculty and staff is limited. Student users have a responsibility to use university computer resources in an efficient, ethical and lawful manner. The university has a right and a duty to protect its valuable computer resources and to restrict student access to uses that are strictly related to the students’ academic programs as well as reasonably limited in time. The university reserves the right to define what are unauthorized student uses. The Chief Computer Administrator or their designee(s) at each university in the Connecticut State University System and at the System Office may monitor student user accounts, files and/or login sessions for appropriate management purposes. Such purposes include, but are not limited to, performing archival and recovery procedures, evaluating system performance and ensuring system integrity and security. Upon identifying a violation of this policy that constitutes an immediate, clear danger to the university’s computer systems or networks, the Chief Computer Administrator or their designee(s) at each university and in the System Office may immediately limit or suspend a student’s access to university computer resources with immediate notification of charges and actions to the appropriate Chief Student Affairs Administrator or their designee(s). This emergency suspension of computer use will then follow the student judicial procedures for “Interim Suspension,” as provided in the Student Code of Conduct. Violations of university computer policy that do not constitute an immediate, clear danger to the university computer systems or networks will be referred to the regular student disciplinary process.


B. Student Offenses The following offenses are included in the Student Code of Conduct found in the Connecticut State University Student Rights and Responsibilities and Judicial Procedures Document: The unauthorized use of university computers and/or peripheral systems and networks; unauthorized access to university computer programs or files; unauthorized alteration or duplication of university computer programs or files; any deliberate action to disrupt the operation of university computer systems that serve other members of the university community, including all networks to which university computers are connected; use of university computer systems and networks for committing crimes, violating civil laws or violating university rules. The following are uses of university computer systems and networks that are not authorized. This


list includes but is not limited to the following: 1. Computer games that are not assigned course work. 2. Development or transmitting of chain letters. 3. Sharing one’s own computer account with others or using another person’s accounts. 4. The entering or transmitting of obscene material. 5. The entering or transmitting of commercial advertisements or solicitations. 6. The entering or transmitting of political campaign material relating to elections to be held outside the university. 7. Sexual harassment or other forms of harassment aimed at others or otherwise threatening others. 8. Violation of copyright laws or using copying software in ways that violate the terms of the license.

9. Entering or transmitting computer viruses or any form of intentionally destructive programs. 10. Intentional disruption of network services. 11. Connecting any device to the network without permission. 12. Copying, modifying, replacing or deleting any other user’s account or any software used for system management.

13. Harming university computer equipment. 14. Uses that violate rules developed at each university that are necessitated by facilities limitations or other circumstances unique to each university.


STUDENT ACTIVITIES Students are encouraged to become engaged in campus life, both inside and outside the classroom, to make the most of their college experience. The University offers many opportunities for students to become actively involved in the life of the campus. Look here for information on the polices, regulations and procedures that govern student clubs and organizations, events that take place on campus and official university sponsored events at off-campus locations. The university’s student club and organizations and the student councils and governing organizations are described here, as well.

Academic Clubs Many organizations have grown from the natural interest of students majoring in a variety of disciplines. Although these students have given the groups impetus, the clubs are open to all interested undergraduate students. Depending on the nature of the organization, the activities often extend beyond the classroom to include films, field trips, workshops and speakers. 58 STUDENT ACTIVITIES

The following subject-oriented organizations are currently available to students interested in specialized academic areas: • Accounting Society • American Marketing Association (SC-AMA) • Anthropology Club • Biology Club • Bookmarks English Club • Botany Club • Chemistry Club • Computer Club • Earth Science Club • Economics Club • Exercise Physiology Club • Financial Management Association • Forensic Society • French Club • Geography Club • History Club • Information & Library Science Club • Japanes Language Club • Management Association

• Mathematics Club • Media Studies Club • National Student Nurses Association • Philosophy Club • Physical Education Club • Pre-Health Professional Society • Pre-Law Society • Psychology Club • Public Health Society • Recreation and Leisure Club • Social Welfare Organization • Society of Physics Enthusiasts (S.O.P.E.) • Society of Professional Journalists • Sociology Club • Southern Future Teacher’s Organization • Sports Medicine Club • Student Arts League For more information about any of these organizations, contact the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212.

Accessibility To Campus Sponsored Events Consistent with the requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, Southern Connecticut State University is firmly committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities, including students, faculty, staff and the general public, have access to university-sponsored meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences, programs and activities on-or-off campus. All registration materials and flyers announcing events should state that the event is accessible to people with disabilities. It is suggested that you ask participants to request accommodations or to identify their needs well in advance of the event so that you can arrange for services to meet their needs. If no request has been made, you are not required to provide disability-related accommodations. (For example, if no advance request is received for accessible transportation or a sign-language interpreter, you do not have to provide this service.) You must, however, provide physical access to your event or activity, ensuring that

individuals with mobility impairments can attend. The authorized representative of the sponsoring organization or department shall be responsible for implementing this policy and arranging for other requested accommodations. The Disability Resource Center will coordinate the provision of sign language interpreters. To ensure the availability of interpreters, you must contact the DRC at (203) 392-6828 no less than two weeks in advance of your event. All registration materials and program notices shall provide space for registrants to indicate whether they have disability-related needs and require reasonable accommodations, as well as the name and phone number of the contact person for your organization. Sample of the kind of notice that should be placed on every flyer: A sponsored event: This event is wheelchair accessible. Individuals needing sign-language interpreters, large print or Braille material or any other accommodation should contact (the contact person for your organization and phone number) as early as possible. A sponsored trip: To arrange for accessible transportation, please contact (the contact person for your organization and phone number) as early as possible. Questions concerning the university’s policy should be directed to: Office of Diversity and Equity Programs (203) 392-5899 (TDD service available)

Athletics A member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association’s Division II, Southern recognizes the value of competition in individual and team sports and maintains a comprehensive program of intercollegiate athletics for men and women. Intercollegiate teams for men include football, soccer, cross country, basketball, swimming and diving, baseball and track and field. Women’s intercollegiate athletic teams include field hockey, volleyball, cross country, basketball, gymnastics, swimming and diving, softball, track and field, soccer and lacrosse. STUDENT ACTIVITIES 59

An incoming first-year student with no previous college attendance must be certified as eligible to compete by the NCAA Eligibility Center. Once accepted, a student-athlete must be enrolled full-time in a minimum of 12 semester hours to be eligible to practice and compete during that semester. Each fall after the initial year of enrollment, the student must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward a degree. This includes, but is not limited to, satisfactory completion of 24 semester hours of acceptable degree credits since the previous fall or an average of 12 credits for each semester of fulltime enrollment, and the maintaining of good academic standing, with a corresponding GPA.

Club Sports Club sports operate through Campus Recreation, ASC Room 231. Club sports allow students to participate in intercollegiate competition without the demands of playing on the varsity level. Clubs compete with other schools, and many are part of a collegiate league of play. Each club was created in response to student interest and is run by students. Southern offers the following club sports: • Cheerleading Team • Colorguard • Dance Team • Drumline Drill Team • Golf Club • Ice Hockey Club • Karate Club • Men’s Lacrosse Team • Men’s Rugby Club • Paintball Club • Ski & Snowboarding Club • Steppin’ Up Drill Team • Symphonic Pulse Dance Company (SPDC) • Ultimate Frisbee Club • Volleyball Club • Women’s Rugby Club


Councils And Governing Organizations Student Government Association The Student Government Association (SGA) is the primary organization of student governance on Southern’s campus. Voting membership is comprised of 25 full-time students who are elected by the student body. Student Government serves as the voice of the student body. SGA also lobbies and advocates on behalf of the students, ensuring that their experience is preserved and protected. Members of the SGA play vital roles on numerous campus committees and have representation on search committees for executive level administrative positions within the university. In addition, SGA provides support and structure for three major campus commissions: service, leadership, and programming. For more information on how to get involved or to speak to someone about your interests or concerns, or for a copy of the Student Government Association Constitution, please contact SGA, located in the Adanti Student Center, Room 218 at (203) 392-6937 or via e-mail at SCSU.SGA@ Residence Hall Association The Residence Hall Association (RHA) is comprised of representatives from each of the nine residential communities who meet weekly to discuss funding, programming, and hall governance. RHA also supports the University’s social and educational programming initiatives for residential students. Hall Councils are established in each respective hall community to approve funding from social fees, to plan programs for their community, and address student concerns. All students residing in a particular community are a part of that hall council. Programs Council Programs Council (ProCon) is responsible for student programming initiatives. ProCon coordinates and schedules concerts, films, lectures, coffee houses, exhibits, special events and late night programs. Committee membership is open to any student who

organization to adhere to these policies shall result in the cancellation and/or limitation of the event. The Vice President for Student and University Affairs must approve any exception to these policies in writing no less than two weeks before the event.

wants to become involved in co-curricular program planning. Greek Life Council The Greek Life Council, composed of two members from each fraternity and sorority, is the governing body for all social Greek-lettered fraternities and sororities on campus. The council recommends policies to the university, coordinates university and community service projects and sponsors campus-wide Greek events such as Recruitment and Greek Week. Class Governments Each class elects its own leadership, consisting of the president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and five class representatives. Class committees, appointed by the officers, coordinate social and programming activities for their respective class.

Events By Recognized Student Organizations The purpose of this policy is to reaffirm and establish procedures related to events sponsored either on-or-off campus by officially recognized student organizations. Failure of a student

I. Contracts for Services A. A contract is defined as any oral or written agreement between two or more parties where payment or goods are made for services rendered. B. Students and/or advisers are not permitted to sign or agree to contracts for any services or facilities. C. Any officially recognized student organization that wishes to sponsor an off-campus event must obtain a written contract from the management of the facility. The contract, which shall be reviewed and signed by the Vice President of Student Affairs, must stipulate all of the conditions under which the facility will be used (e.g., liability, beginning and ending time of the event, security and control, exclusivity of usage, maximum occupancy, controlled access to alcoholic beverages, cancellation and penalties, billing arrangements, etc.). D. The university will not be liable for any contract signed by a student(s), adviser, or any other person besides the Vice President of Student Affairs and/or their designee. II. Reservation Procedures for On-Campus Facilities A request for use of University facilities must be made through the Facility Administrator: • Connecticut Hall or Adanti Student Center – Eric Simms, Associate Director of the Adanti Student Center,, 25503, ASC 325 D – Janet Klicsu, Assistant Director of the Adanti Student Center,, 25513, ASC 325 C


• Lyman Center for the Performing Arts – David Starkey, Associate Director of Lyman Center,, 26163, LY 121 • Moore Fieldhouse, Pelz Gymnasium, Athletic Fields, Jess Dow Stadium and Tennis Courts – Anthony Aceto, Coordinator of Athletic Facilities,, 26003, MFH 211 • University Residence Halls and the Residence Hall Quadrangle – Robert De Mezzo, Director of Housing and Residence Life Services, 25886, SZ 100 C • All Other Facilities and Campus Grounds – Janet Klicsu,, 25513, ASC 325 C • All Academic Buildings – Arlene Lucibello, Lyman Center Scheduling Office, 26165, LY 116


Room requests can also be made by downloading the form at Search “Facilities Usage Form.” III. Planning Off-Campus Events A. Student organizations that intend to sponsor an off-campus event must complete a Facilities Usage Form and a Travel Authorization Form. These forms can be obtained in the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212. Forms must be signed by the faculty adviser, organization president, and all appropriate authorities, including the adviser’s immediate supervisor if needed, and returned to the Office of Student Life, together with the proposed contract and, if applicable, an Alcohol Policy Addendum for review and approval. B. If a student organization wishes to use Student Affairs’ vans, a Van Reservation Request must be filed electronically. Southern faculty, staff, graduate interns or students who have

completed the Driver Safety Program and are cleared by DAS may serve as drivers. Maximum occupancy for each van is 10 passengers. IV. General Policies for Events A. Attendance shall be limited to the capacity of the facility. B. For events held both on-and-off campus, the faculty adviser shall ensure that student ID cards are checked prior to admission. For events open to guests of SCSU students, all escorted guests (non-Southern students) may be required to present identification and list their names and addresses together with the names of their hosts, prior to admission. Students and guests may be required to have their hands stamped or wear plastic wrist bracelets. The university reserves the right to limit the number of escorted guests. Consistent with university policy, university students are responsible for the actions of their guests. C. The faculty adviser is responsible for being in attendance from the start of the event to its conclusion as deemed by the Office of Student Life. D. The admission and readmission cut-off time is normally 11:00 p.m. for any evening campus event. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Office of Student Life and published prior to the start of the event. E. Individuals who have been denied admission or readmission will not be permitted to congregate outside a campus event. F. The University Police shall have the authority to monitor and to terminate an event in the interest of personal safety and the protection of university property. It shall be the duty of those responsible for the event to cooperate with and assist the University Police and/or other university officials if the event has to be closed. Similarly, the faculty adviser has the authority and responsibility to terminate any off-campus event for reasons of safety or where, in their

judgment, the management of the facility has failed to fulfill the conditions of the contract. G. Events held both on-and-off campus shall not go beyond 1:00 a.m. The faculty advisor and the officers of the student organization are responsible for ensuring that all persons leave the contracted facility at the conclusion of the event. H. If the student organization wishes to have alcoholic beverages available at an event, the Alcohol Policy Addendum should be attached to the Facilities Usage Form. I. Advertising shall not begin or invitations extended until after the proposed event has been approved by the Director of Student Life. The Facilities Usage Form becomes official when the signed copy of the form is received by the faculty advisor. J. Any event involving the raising of funds by a student organization must receive prior approval in writing from the Office of Student Life, ASC, Room 212. Fund raising forms must be filed online. (See Fund-Raising Activities.) K. Student organizations shall be responsible for the cost of repairing any damage to a facility incurred during an event and repairing or replacing any equipment damaged during an event. L. Within three class days following the event, the student organization is responsible for providing the Office of Student Life with an accounting of money collected and the number of tickets sold/unsold. All money must be deposited in the organization’s account within 24 hours (one business day) after the collection of the funds. The organization must also ensure that prompt payment of all costs related to the event occurs. M. All security arrangements will be made through the Facilities Usage Committee and University Police.

Fundraising Activities All activities involving the collection of money by STUDENT ACTIVITIES 63

recognized organizations are defined as fundraising activities. Fundraising activities include the selling of printed materials, political materials, studentproduced goods, and student-provided services; the selling of tickets and/or the charging of admission to public activities or events; the soliciting of voluntary contributions; the collection of dues and the selling of other goods and services. Recognized student organizations wishing to conduct a fundraising activity must file an online application for approval by the Office of Student Life. The following procedures and policies apply to all fundraising activities: A. Procedures 1. Application forms for approval to conduct fundraising activities are available online at and must be filled out in their entirety, at least 15 days prior to the proposed fund raising activity. 2. To reserve space or to register an off-campus activity, the appropriate facility usage form or Student Center Online Reservation form must be filled out and submitted. 3. Organizations are not encouraged to accept personal checks as payment for goods and services. The sponsoring organizations will assume full responsibility if a loss is incurred due to checks being returned to the university for insufficient funds. Checks must be made out to SCSU. 4. No expenditures are to be made from cash collected. All money collected through the fund-raising activity must be deposited in the organization’s account, located in the Bursar’s office, within 24 hours or by the next business day. 5. A completed financial report and a copy of the deposit receipt must be filed with the Office of Student Life within three class days following the fundraising activity, indicating the amount of money collected and deposited and the number of tickets sold/unsold. Financial reports can be found at 64 STUDENT ACTIVITIES 6. Organizations planning fundraising activities off-campus should research pertinent local, state, and federal laws. B. Criteria used for Consideration of a Fundraising Request 1. The fundraising activity shall be consistent with the educational mission and public responsibilities of the university. 2. The fundraising activity must not interfere with existing university contracts and must not violate related local and state laws. 3. The fundraising activity must be sponsored by a recognized organization of the university. 4. The fundraising activity will be considered on the basis of the purpose(s) stated by the sponsors. 5. The fundraising activity will be given consideration based on the anticipated benefits to the sponsors as well as the anticipated benefits to the general student body and the university. C. General Policies for Fundraising 1. Use of university facilities for fundraising activities is limited to prevent exploitation of the members of the university community and to avoid overcrowding and interference with those using an area for other purposes. 2. In general, fundraising activities will not be permitted for the personal benefit of an individual or for commercial enterprises. 3. The use of the campus e-mail for purposes of fundraising is prohibited. 4. Student organizations sponsoring a fundraising activity will be required to pay out of their proceeds all expenses, including any special services fees (e.g., custodial, security), that might be incurred in conducting the fund-raising activity. 5. The establishment of booths and/or tables for the sale of permitted goods, and services and for the solicitation of voluntary contributions

will be approved by the university subject to necessary regulations of the use of limited available space. 6. At all locations, solicitors must be members of the organization conducting the fundraising activity. 7. Fundraising activities may be conducted outside of campus buildings, provided they do not interfere with the use of streets, sidewalks, building entrances, classes, or other educational activities. The group is required fo file a facilities usage form to secure approval of space. 8. No room-to-room soliciting will be permitted at any time in classes or residence halls. Solicitation of faculty or staff members in their offices will not be permitted. 9. Commercial enterprises will not be permitted to solicit business on university grounds or within campus buildings. Exceptions may be made if the activity is conducted by a recognized student organization, academic unit, or administrative unit of the university; if comparable goods or services are unavailable at the university; if the financial reliability of the applicant can be verified; and if there is a benefit to the student body or university community. 10. An explicit statement clearly identifying the sponsor of the fundraising activity and the organization or cause that will benefit from the activity must be displayed and visible to contributors. 11. Organizations selling printed or political material deemed contrary to local, state, or federal law do so on their own responsibility and may subject themselves to arrest and prosecution by public authorities. 12. Organizations may not harass, embarrass, or intimidate the person or persons being solicited. 13. Revocation of fundraising privileges or freezing an organization’s assets for up to one calendar year will be used as a penalty

for willful violation of stated procedures and policies.

Hazing Policy Statement Although hazing practices are normally associated with social fraternities and sororities, the university’s Hazing Policy Statement shall apply to all organizations, groups and individuals. As a condition of recognition by the university, all clubs and organizations including fraternities and sororities, must agree that they and their members will not engage in any action or situation that produces mental or physical discomfort or endangers the safety of an individual for the purpose of initiation or admission into or affiliation with their organizations. In addition, they must agree that they and their members will not engage in any action or situation that causes an individual to suffer indignity, embarrassment, humiliation or ridicule at the hands of others. Organizations that are accused of violating the Hazing Policy Statement may be interim suspended immediately while allegations are investigated. Organizations found responsible for hazing will be sanctioned. Individuals who are found responsible for hazing will be charged with violating university policy and will be referred to the university disciplinary process. All organizations, groups, clubs, sports teams, fraternities and sororities must understand that hazing in any form is prohibited. Both organizations and or individuals alleged to have violated the University’s Hazing Policy will be referred to the Office of Judicial Afairs for disciplinary action. If found responsible, they may be subject to suspension or expulsion from the university.

Honor Societies Students who excel academically may be invited to join one or more of the following honors organizations: • Alpha Kappa Delta National Honor Society for Sociology majors • Delta Mu Delta STUDENT ACTIVITIES 65

National Honor Society for Business Administration majors • Gamma Theta Upsilon International Honor Society for Geography majors • Golden Key National Honor Society National Honor Society for juniors and seniors in the top 15 percent of their class • Iota Iota Iota National Honor Society for Women Studies undergraduate and graduate students • Kappa Delta Pi National Honor Society for Education majors

• Lambda Pi Eta National Honor Society for Communication majors

• Phi Alpha Theta National Honor Society for History majors

• Pi Sigma Alpha National Honor Society for Political Science majors

• Psi Chi National Honor Society for Psychology majors • Sigma Tau Delta National Honor Society for English majors

• Zeta Delta Epsilon Honorary Service Organization

Intramural Sports Intramural sports provide all students with an opportunity to stay active on campus at a competitive and recreational level. A variety of sports and activities are offered and participants of all skill levels are welcome. There is no fee for all undergraduate students to participate. In the fall semester, the outdoor season runs from September to October and includes flag football and softball. The indoor season is from November to December and includes indoor soccer, dodgeball and 3-on-3 basketball. The spring semester features an indoor season from February to March, followed by an outdoor season from March to May. The indoor season consist of 5-on-5 basketball, volleyball and floor 66 STUDENT ACTIVITIES

hockey while the outdoor season includes softball and outdoor soccer. In addition to intramural sports leagues, there are also a variety of intramural tournaments held throughout the year. Intramural sports are coordinated by Campus Recreation, located in the Adanti Student Center Room 231.

International/Multicultural Groups Fostering an understanding and appreciation of other cultures, their people, and customs is the goal of these organizations: • African Student Association • Anime Society • Black Student Union • Chinese Student Association • CIAO! Italian Club • Organization of Latin American Students • West Indian Society

Media Board The student media are recognized as valuable aids in establishing and maintaining an atmosphere of free and responsible discussion and of intellectual exploration on campus. They are the means of bringing student concerns to the attention of the faculty and institutional authorities, formulating student opinion on various campus and world issues and informing the student body of events on the campus and around the world. Institutional authorities, in consultation with students and faculty, have a responsibility to provide written clarification of the role of the student media, the standards to be used in their evaluation and the limitations on external control of their operation. Policies shall provide sufficient editorial freedom for the student media to maintain their integrity of purpose as vehicles for free inquiry and free expression in an academic community. At the same time, freedom from censorship and editorial freedom entail corollary responsibilities to be governed by the canons of responsible journalism, such as the avoidance of libel (according to current legal

definitions), obscenity (according to current legal definitions), undocumented allegations, invasion of privacy, attacks on personal integrity and the techniques of harassment and innuendo. In addition, the student media should avoid expression that creates a material interference and substantial physical disruption of educational activities. The student media should reflect standards of professional and educational conduct and scholarship that help to maintain a climate suitable to an academic community. The student media shall be free of censorship and advance approval of copy. Editors and general managers of the student media shall be free to develop their own editorial policies and news

coverage. They shall be responsible for the form, content and staff of their respective student media. Editors and general managers of the student media shall be protected from arbitrary suspension and removal because of student, faculty, and administrative or public disapproval of editorial policy or content. Only for proper and stated causes (misfeasance, malfeasance or nonfeasance) shall editors and general managers be subject to removal, and then only by orderly and prescribed procedures that guarantee all the protections of due process. The Student Media Board shall be a standing committee that shall decide and act upon all policies and procedures concerning the student media on the campus of Southern Connecticut State University. All STUDENT ACTIVITIES 67

student media shall operate in accordance with standards approved by this board. The Student Media Board shall be responsible through the Office of Student Life to the President of the university. Any action of the Student Media Board may be appealed to the Office of Student Life. The Student Media Board shall be composed of one student appointed by the Student Government Association, one student appointed by the chairperson of the English Department, one student appointed by the chairperson of the Journalism Department, one student appointed by the chairperson of the Communication Department, the editor or general manager of each student medium, the adviser(s) of each student medium, two representatives from the community selected by the members of the Student Media Board and one administrator appointed by the Dean of Student Affairs. The students appointed by the Student Government Association and the chairpersons of the English, Journalism and Communication departments may not be members of a student medium. The terms of office are Sept. 1 to June 30. Members may serve more than one term. The Student Media Board shall meet at least once a month during the academic year. It shall establish its own parliamentary procedures. A simple majority of the Student Media Board shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. All members of the board shall be voting members. The chairperson of the board shall be elected each year by the majority vote of the members. The Student Media Board shall have the following responsibilities: • Review and recommend general policies and procedures related to the student media that are funded and/or recognized by the University. • Promote/support activities in connection with the presentation, publication and maintenance of student media. • Ascertain that each student medium is complying with its own general statement of policy and operating procedures. • Recommend policies regarding the publication 68 STUDENT ACTIVITIES

of special editions or supplements. • Encourage wide student participation and faculty support of the student media. • Recommend the approval of new student media to the Student Government Association and Office of Student Life. • Recommend to the Office of Student Life the termination of a student medium that no longer serves the student body and the university. • Meet with editors, general managers and advisers to review their annual evaluation of their media. Editors, general managers and advisers, in consultation with the Student Media Board, shall establish written guidelines for these evaluations. • Each spring, select an editor or general manager for each student medium. Each medium shall establish written procedures and criteria in consultation with the Student Media Board that shall be used in the selection of an editor or general manager. These written procedures and criteria shall be made available to any member of the academic community.

• Meet with editors, general managers and advisers for a semi-annual review of the performance of the editors and general managers on the basis of written evaluation criteria established by the editors, general managers and advisers for their media. • Establish an orderly procedure for hearings to consider written charges of substance and severity against an editor, general manager or member of a student medium and conduct hearings when the charges merit this action. Such procedures and hearing shall provide for all the protections of due process. • Upon request, review publications and/or printed material distributed on campus and recommend action, when warranted, to be taken by the university. • Select recipients of student media awards based on written procedures and criteria. This document may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the total membership of the Student Media Board and approved by the Office of Student Life.

Performing/Creative Arts Groups Students interested in theater may join the Crescent Players, a group that stages performances in The Lyman Center and the Robert Kendall Drama Laboratory. Scripts are selected to provide the widest experiences in acting, costumes, scenery and production. The Arts League sponsors frequent workshops and demonstrations on enameling, sketching, ceramics, sculpture and other media. Such events provide experiences that broaden cultural horizons and provide an outlet for self-expression. Performing and creative arts clubs: • Crescent Players • Fearless Lovers of Word (F.L.O.W.) Poetry Club • Film Society of Southern Connecticut State University • Fortissibros • SCSU Drumline • Southern Harmony • Student Arts League

Media Groups

Political Action/Advocacy Groups

Students may gain experience in publishing or broadcasting by joining Folio, Southern News, Southern TV, or WSIN Radio. No previous experience is necessary. • Folio is the campus literary magazine. The staff accepts poetry, fiction, essays, photography, and art from students. Folio is a great place to get your creative work published. • Southern News is the weekly campus newspaper, publishing stories about campus news, sports, and entertainment. Students can write, edit, shoot photos, do layouts, or sell advertising. • Southern TV, the campus television station, gives students the opportunity to take part in live broadcasts, go behind the scenes, and learn about production. • WSIN Radio broadcasts to the campus at 1590 AM and online at Be a disc jockey, news reporter, talk show host, music director, or produce and sell commercials.

These clubs and organizations represent political parties, advocate for minority and special interest groups and/or lobby and debate for the rights and beliefs of their respective constituencies: • Active Minds • American Sign Language and Deaf Awareness Club • Amnesty International • College Democrats • College Republicans • Environmental Futurists • HOPE - Helping Others Peer Educators • LGBTQIA Prism • Men About Business • NAACP • Operation Smile • Outreach Unlimited • Peer Mentors United • Students for a Sensible Drug Policy • Veterans Association STUDENT ACTIVITIES 69

Posting Policy The purpose of this policy is to set forth university guidelines for the general posting of announcements and publicity materials. Publicizing organization’s events and programs is a necessary part of ensuring their success. It is expected that all such materials meet the accepted standards of free speech, adhere to the university policy on pluralism and not be libelous, obscene (as defined under Connecticut General Statute 53a-193), or incite imminent lawless action. Commercial advertising by private business is permitted only on designated bulletin boards in the University Student Center and on the general purpose kiosks located around campus. Such advertising is also allowed in the student newspaper and on the broadcasts of the campus radio station. Posting areas are defined below. Please note: Material may not be attached to windows, doors, walls, sidewalks, trees, bus shelters, mirrors, light fixtures, building exteriors, stairwells, trash receptacles, doorknobs, automobiles, furniture or to any other structure or part of the university campus. Bulletin Boards and Showcases Certain bulletin boards and showcases are maintained by academic or administrative units and are so designated. Unauthorized material will be removed. Certain student and university organization bulletin boards and showcases are maintained by those organizations and are so designated. Use of these areas is limited to recognized student and university organizations and material must indicate the sponsoring organization. Unauthorized material will be removed. Recognized clubs and organizations may leave copies of a desired flyer in the Office of Student Life where student workers can assist in posting throughout campus. General Purpose Kiosks Outdoor informational kiosks are available for general posting. As with the general public, recognized student and university organizations may 70 STUDENT ACTIVITIES

use the outdoor kiosks to advertise their events and activities. Table Tents Table tents may be placed on tables in food service areas. Contact the Director of Housing and Residence Life for use of Connecticut Hall tables or the Director of the Adanti Student Center for use of the Student Center tables. Residence Life To post in Residence Life areas, drop off material in the Department of Housing and Residence Life, Schwartz Hall 100. Members of the Office of Residence Life staff will hang materials.

Religious Services Policy The holding of religious services on campus is permitted provided they are voluntarily requested and sponsored by student organizations recognized by the university, are extracurricular, are voluntary as to attendance and to time and mode of worship, are scheduled in accordance with available space and are in conformance with institutional rules and regulations applicable to all student organizations and activities.

Recognition Of New Student Organizations Students bring to the university a variety of interests previously acquired and develop many new interests as members of the academic community. Student organizations must be established for purposes that are legal and consistent with the broad educational mission of the university. Organizations wishing to be recognized by the university must form and operate in compliance with university policies and procedures. Organizations that are recognized by the university are required to abide by all applicable local, state and federal laws, including Title IX and university policies, rules and regulations. The recognition of a student organization by the university does not constitute an endorsement of the objectives, policies or practices of that organization, nor does the university assume sponsorship of or

responsibility for any of the programs or activities of that organization. As adults, all students of the university are expected to take personal responsibility for their own conduct, including participation in extracurricular activities. The recognition procedures that follow were established by the university to ensure that all student organizations can, on an equitable basis, obtain those rights and privileges that are normally associated with formal recognition. Students interested in forming a new student organization should contact the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, to discuss the type of organization desired and the procedures that must be followed. I. Recognition Procedures A. A student club or organization seeking university recognition must be composed of undergraduate students currently registered at the university. B. A university organization seeking university recognition may be composed of undergraduate and graduate students currently registered at the university and may extend membership to teaching faculty, administrators and staff members. C. A student group interested in organizing and applying for recognition may be granted a 30-day permit to use campus facilities for the purpose of completing required procedures and for recruiting interested members. It will not be allowed to sponsor speakers, programs or events; sponsor fund-raising activities; or use the name of the university until it has been formally recognized. 1. Proposals regarding new organizations may be submitted to the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212, and are available at a series of informational meetings sponsored by the SGA. Information regarding these meetings can be found in the Office of Student Life, ASC 212. Proposals must

contain the following information: a. Name of the proposed organization. b. A statement of purpose. c. A statement explaining the potential benefits of the proposed organization to the university and members of the student body. d. A statement of the membership policy. e. Names of those interested in forming the organization. f. Evidence of faculty/staff sponsorship. A student organization is required to have a faculty adviser who is a member of the teaching faculty, administration or staff. Faculty members may be recommended by the organization, and are appointed by and serve at the discretion of the university. g. A copy of the proposed constitution. h. An organization desiring university recognition that is affiliated with a state and/or national organization must submit a copy of the state and/or national constitution and bylaws. These shall be reviewed as part of the recognition process. 2. Student Government Association Board of Constitutional Review will review the proposal and work with the Office of Student Life in issuing recognition. D. An organization will be granted provisional status for two full semesters. After two full semesters of provisional status, the organization may apply for full recognition. The Board of Constitutional Review will review the organization’s status and make recommendations to the SGA that full recognition be approved or denied. During the provisionary period, the Board of Constitutional Review, in consultation with the STUDENT ACTIVITIES 71

Office of Student Life, may terminate a club that does not comply with university policies or regulations or with applicable local, state or federal laws or violates the rules and procedures governing the use of Student Activity Funds. E. A recognized organization that wishes to revise or amend its approved constitution can obtain the appropriate forms from the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212, or via the website. The Board of Constitutional Review shall review the revised constitution and approve in consultation with the Office of Student Life. F. Student groups wishing to benefit from the advantages of recognition for a limited period of time without the intent of becoming a permanent student organization should meet 72 STUDENT ACTIVITIES

with the Director of Student Life to discuss specific group plans and objectives. II. Rights and Privileges of Recognized Organizations A. Use of certain university facilities, equipment and services. B. Right to schedule meetings and programs in campus facilities. C. Right to publicize group meetings and other events on campus. D. Right to disseminate information and literature on campus. E. Eligible to establish financial accounts, with the exception of a few national organizations, student organizations must maintain their financial accounts with SCSU. F. Right to raise funds or make other permissible

solicitations on university property in accordance with written university policies. G. Right to invite membership. H. Opportunities to participate as a group in university events and other activities. I. Right to invite speakers to campus. J. Right to receive assistance from a faculty adviser. K. May be granted permission to use the name of the university in connection with its approved programs and activities. No organization, however, shall advertise or promote its programs or activities in a manner that suggests that the university sponsors the function. III. Funding of Undergraduate Student Organizations There are two student committees that work in conjunction with the Director of Student Life that are responsible for the allocation of Student Activity Fees used to support the social, cultural, recreational and educational activities. The Student Government Association Board of Finance is responsible for allocating annual budgets to clubs and organizations that meet the criteria for funding. Additionally, the Board of Finance reviews and allocates funds to clubs and organizations proposing to travel to regional and national conferences and to other venues that support their clubs mission. The Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC) is responsible for allocating Student Activity funds to programming initiatives proposed by clubs, organizations, departments and offices on campus. IV. Withdrawal of Recognition A. All recognized organizations must register with the Office of Student Life each semester. Should any organization fail to register within the prescribed period, it shall automatically lose its recognition and all the rights and privileges associated with formal recognition. It is the organization’s responsibility to keep

this information accurate and up-to-date. B. Any organization that fails to comply with its own constitution; fails to abide by all applicable local, state and federal laws and university policies, rules and regulations; engages in unlawful activities; or violates the rules and procedures governing the use of Student Activity Funds is subject to disciplinary action including, but not limited to, probation, suspension or withdrawal of university recognition by the Office of Student Life, and/or the Student Government Association. C. Disciplinary action may be initiated by the Student Government Association and/or the Office of Student Life. A recognized organization subject to disciplinary action that may result in the termination or suspension of recognition shall be guaranteed the right to a hearing and all the protections of due process. D. An organization whose recognition was terminated or suspended may petition the Dean of Student Affairs or their designee for reinstatement. The Dean of Student Affairs may set terms, conditions and/or restrictions that the organization must adhere to before and after its recognition is reinstated by the university. E. Disciplinary action involving suspension or withdrawal of university recognition may be appealed to the Vice President of Student Affairs. The decision of the Vice President will be final and binding. V. Responsibilities of Student Organizations In addition to the rights and privileges that formal recognition carries, responsibility is placed on each organization, including its officers and individual members, to conduct its affairs within the framework of university policies, rules and regulations and the provisions stated in the constitution of the organization. A. Organizations have the responsibility to take reasonable steps to ensure that all programs and activities sponsored by the organization STUDENT ACTIVITIES 73

comply with all applicable local, state and federal laws and with university policies, procedures, rules and regulations. B. Officers of an organization shall be held accountable and responsible for the programs and activities sponsored by the organization in the event that the organization and/or its members violate established university policies, procedures, rules or regulations. C. An organization shall be responsible for its members’ behavior when they are acting as members of the organization (with or without official approval) rather than as individual students; when an event is held (officially or unofficially) in the name of the organization; and when the actions or activities of individual students draw attention to the organization rather than to themselves as individuals. D. An organization shall have an up-to-date copy of its constitution, a Directory Information form, beneficiary form and equipment and supply inventory forms on file with the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212. E. Organizations have the responsibility to ensure that all students within the university community, including those with disabilities, are able to participate in and benefit from all programs and activities sponsored by the organization. All publicity for approved trips must include information on accessibility needs. F. Organizations have the responsibility to supervise their events and ensure the safe operation of their programs and activities. G. Organizations accept responsibility for any destruction of or damage to university property, equipment or facilities and any costs related to the use of university property, equipment or facilities. H. Organizations accept responsibility for assuring that facilities are used for the purpose for which they were scheduled. I. An organization accepts responsibility for any of its programs and activities that interfere with 74 STUDENT ACTIVITIES

the rights of any member of the university community, with another student organization and/or its guests or with the normal operation of the university. J. Organizations have the responsibility to ensure that all funds, including Student Activity Funds and money raised through fund-raising are maintained and expended according to the rules and procedures established by the Student Board of Finance. K. Organizations must register with the Office of Student Life each semester by the advertised deadline, in order to maintain their recognition status. L. Organizations take responsibility for maintaining contact with their approved faculty adviser and meeting their responsibilities to their faculty adviser as described in section VII of this policy. VI. Adviser’s Responsibilities The faculty adviser has the following responsibilities to an organization: A. To be knowledgeable about the purpose and program of the organization. To help the organization pursue its goals. To encourage students to take an active role within the organization. To assist in identifying roles and responsibilities for the club/organization’s members and officers. B. To assist the officers and members of the organization in becoming familiar with University and Student Life policies, rules, and procedures. To encourage officers and members to attend workshops and training sessions regarding policies, procedures, and rules. C. To help ensure the organization completes all necessary paperwork required by the Office of Student Life and Student Government Association to remain active each semester. D. To make time available for club/organization members to discuss club/organization matters, assist with administrative matters,

and to guide students in achieving their goals. E. To attend regularly scheduled and special meetings at the request of the club/ organization and attend a minimum of two regularly scheduled meetings each semester to provide guidance and advice on meeting decorum, group facilitation, and general leadership. F. To assist the organization in electing officers and organizational leadership according to the procedures stated in the organization’s constitution. G. To have a general understanding of the rules and procedures governing student activity fee expenditures and fund-raising policies established by the Student Government Association Board of Finance, Office of Student Life, Southern Connecticut State University and the state of Connecticut. H. To be actively involved in the management of club/organization finances by guiding, advising, and assisting students in maintaining active records and abiding by university and state policies. I. To require the club/organization to process all purchase order requests, and financial

requests through the advisor. J. To actively participate in the planning of on- and off-campus events as well as advising the club/organization regarding potential risks and policies. K. To attend and supervise all activities, programs and events sponsored by the organization on- and off-campus, as deemed by the Office of Student Life. These events include but are not limited to large events open to the general public, all out-of-state and/or overnight trips, and events which garner a higher level of risk. The advisor is expected to be in attendance from the start of an event to its conclusion. L. To assist the organization in transitioning leadership at the end of each semester and the end of each year. M. To immediately inform the Office of Student Life when the organization is disbanded or becomes inactive. VII. The Organization’s Responsibilities to the Adviser The organization has the following responsibilities to its adviser: A. To meet with the adviser on a regular basis


and to keep the adviser informed of the overall program and activities of the organization; B. To inform the adviser well in advance of the schedule (date, time and location) of all meetings, activities, programs and events sponsored by the organization; C. To process requests for university services or appeals of administrative decisions through the faculty adviser; D. To give the adviser an opportunity to express an opinion on issues that affect the welfare of the organization and the interest of the university.

Recreational/Social Clubs • Extreme Wilderness Survival Society • Gamers Club • Sci-Fi Club

Religious Organizations There are five recognized religious organizations on campus: • Campus Crusade for Christ • Hillel Jewish Student Organization • Intervarsity Christian Fellowship • Muslim Student Association • Newman Society

Student Petitions And Referendums A. Petition Procedures 1. Recognized student organizations wishing to petition must file a written request with the Office of Student Life, ASC 212. 2. Each petition must have the desired referendum question printed in full at the top of each signature page. 3. The referendum question and the petition form must clearly indicate which portion of the student population would be affected by the referendum question. 4. Petition forms must be dated when received. Those sponsoring a petition for a referendum will have 10 consecutive class days to obtain 76 STUDENT ACTIVITIES

sufficient signatures, defined as 15 percent of the population, that would be affected by the referendum. Example: If a referendum would affect full-time undergraduates and there are 7,000 full-time undergraduates, the petition for a referendum would have to consist of the signatures of 1,050 full-time undergraduates. 5. Petition sponsors will be granted tables in the University Student Center, the Engleman Hall Rotunda and the Connecticut Hall Lobby during class hours for the 10 consecutive class days authorized for the petitions. Approval for additional locations may be requested from the Dean of Student Affairs. The Dean must approve at least one additional location and may approve two or more additional locations, as appropriate. Petition activities are limited to sponsors seated at tables in these locations. Posters, fliers, radio and/or newspaper advertising on petition issues are permitted. Opposing viewpoints may be permitted utilizing the same methods. 6. Petition activities (at appointed tables) must be carried out by members of the sponsoring organization who are also members of the SCSU student population. 7. All petition forms must be submitted to the Office of Student Life by 4:30 pm on the tenth day of the allotted petition time. 8. Signatures will be verified by the Office of Student Life in conjunction with the Student Government Association, who shall certify the signatures as valid. Certification must occur within two weeks of the presentation of signatures. 9. If the sponsoring organization has submitted petitions with 15 percent or more of the verified signatures of the target population, the Student Government Association shall conduct a referendum under the established referendum procedures. B. Referendum Procedures 1. The referendum vote must occur within one month of the date of certification.

2. Notification concerning the referendum must be disseminated through student media and print prior to student balloting. The exact wording of the referendum question shall be provided, together with a list of the dates, times, locations and conditions of balloting. 3. Students shall submit their ballots electronically. 4. The ballot shall consist of the referendum statement and a space for their vote to be recorded. 5. Lobbying activities shall not be permitted within 100 feet of any Southern Connecticut State University computer lab which, for the purpose of a referendum, shall be considered official balloting locations. 6. The results of the referendum shall be presented to the Vice President of Student Affairs. 7. Once a referendum question has been submitted for balloting, it may not be resubmitted until a 12-month period has elapsed.

Service Organizations The following organizations are dedicated to serving both the university community and surrounding communities: • Best Buddies • Colleges Against Cancer • Council for Exceptional Children • Habitat for Humanity • Service Team • Zeta Delta Epsilon

Opportunities for academic excellence, leadership training, and the development of interpersonal skills are readily available through fraternities and sororities. These opportunities enrich an individual’s college experience, as well as prepare them for career challenges after college. Throughout the academic year, fraternities and sororities sponsor a variety of educational programs, attend national and regional workshops and conferences, participate in fundraising activities on behalf of charitable organizations, and provide volunteer service to community outreach programs. Membership is open by invitation to those undergraduate students meeting the necessary qualifications. Southern supports the Greek new member process by holding workshops exploring the university’s zero-tolerance policy on hazing. The Greek system at the university is currently composed of the following national fraternities and sororities: • Alpha Phi Delta Fraternity • Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority • Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority • Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity • Lambda Alpha Upsilon Fraternity • Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority • Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity • Zeta Phi Beta Sorority In addition to national Greek organizations, Southern also offers the following local fraternities and sororities: • Beta Mu Sigma Fraternity • Omega Zeta Pi Sorority

Social Fraternities and Sororities Fraternities and sororities provide a supportive group of friends during college and beyond.


STUDENT RECORDS Southern Connecticut State University follows established policies for maintaining student records that support the University’s educational mission. The types of records maintained, the policies governing their maintenance, and the offices that maintain them are described in this section of the Student Handbook. Student records are necessary if both faculty and administrative staff are to understand better the individual student and assist him/her in achieving their educational, vocational, and life goals. The university further acknowledges that the development of each student’s full potential is better served when confidential information about the student is not made available to persons other than those who have a legitimate responsibility for the student’s 78 STUDENT RECORDS

personal welfare. In accordance with these principles and with state and federal laws, the policy of Southern Connecticut State University with respect to student records is set forth in the following paragraphs: I. Definition of Student Records A. Student — As used in this policy, a “student” hereafter refers to any person who is enrolled or was formerly enrolled at Southern Connecticut State University. It does not, however, include a person who has applied for admission to the university but has not been accepted. B. Student Records — The term “student records” means those educational records, files, documents, and other materials maintained by the university in

any medium that contains information directly related to a student. The term does not include records made by faculty and administrators for their own use and are not accessible to others. II. Types of Student Records Maintained A. Admissions Records 1. Records compiled and evaluated by the Admissions Office include the following: student’s application, test scores, high school transcript(s), college transcript(s) and, in some instances, although they are not requested, letters of recommendation. The admission records of students accepted to the university are transferred to the Registrar’s Office upon enrollment. B. Academic Records 1. The Registrar’s Office compiles and maintains the official academic record of each student. A record containing dates of attendance, courses completed, grades earned, and the date of withdrawal or graduation from the university is kept on every student currently enrolled or formerly enrolled at the university. For those students who have matriculated (i.e. been accepted into a degree program), a permanent folder is maintained. This folder contains the admissions application, test scores, letters of recommendation for admission, official communications, course withdrawal forms and student teaching evaluations and, where applicable, forms for Social Security benefits. 2. The academic record of a student is retained indefinitely; however, at the time of graduation, the permanent folder is kept intact for five years. 3. Transcripts are released to persons and agencies outside of the university only at the written request of the student or upon court order. 4. If a student has any outstanding obligations to the university, a notice is placed on the student’s academic record until the

obligation is met. In such cases, the student will not be eligible to register or receive a transcript. C. Disciplinary Records A student’s disciplinary record shall be maintained separately from any other academic or official file maintained by the university. Disciplinary records will be maintained for a period of five (5) years from the date of the incident, except that the sanction of expulsion shall be noted permanently. Information contained in the disciplinary record will be released only in accordance with applicable federal and state laws and regulations. D. Financial Records Current student financial aid applications, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and all other supporting documentation are processed in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (OFAS). The financial aid records of students who are recipients of aid are retained by OFAS per State of Connecticut record retention requirements for five years from the end of the period for which the financial aid was awarded. Once the five-year term expires, files are shredded annually per university approval and oversight. E. Health Records Health records for all full-time students and matriculated undergraduate and graduate students are maintained in the Health & Wellness Center. These records include the pre-entrance health form, notes on any followup visits to the health center, and the results of laboratory tests. A copy of the medical record is released upon the written request of a student. When a student withdraws or graduates from the university, the medical record is stored in an inactive file. If there are records other than the pre-entrance health form, they are maintained in the Health & Wellness Center for seven years. F. Counseling Records In accordance with the State of Connecticut Public STUDENT RECORDS 79

Health Law, Southern’s Counseling Center maintains records with regard to the following state statute: Department of Public Health - Public Health Code 19a-4-40 Medical records, definition, purpose. 19a-14-42. Retention Schedule: Unless specified otherwise herein, all parts of a medical record shall be retained for a period of seven years from the last date of treatment, or, upon the death of the patient, for three years. Accordingly, Southern’s Counseling Center shall: 1. Maintain a full record for seven years after the last user contact or the completion of services, whichever is later. 2. See that all records shall be shredded after seven years. G. Residence Hall Records Various kinds of information are maintained by Residence Life. These records include the following: Housing Records: The electronic housing record is kept in a secure database. Housing paper records are maintained in the hall office in which the student resides. When the student leaves university housing, the housing record is transferred to the Office of Residence Life. Previous semester housing records and copies of the database are maintained by the Office of Residence Life in a secured location for a period of up to 1 year. Student Incident Records (non judicial): Pertinent original student incident records are maintained by the Office of Residence Life in a secure database. Previous year’s incident records are maintained by the Office of Residence Life in a secured location for a period of one year. Student Incident Records (judicial): Disciplinary records are maintained in a secured database. Incidents originating in university housing are forwarded to the Office of Judicial Affairs. A copy of the disciplinary record may be kept in a secured location in the hall in which the student resides. The copy of the disciplinary record maintained by the Residence Life office is 80 STUDENT RECORDS

destroyed when the student leaves housing. Previous year’s incident records are maintained by the Office of Judicial Affairs. Student Employment and Candidate Records: Original student employment and candidate information is maintained in the Office of Residence Life. Copies of a student’s employment record are maintained by the supervisor while the student is employed. Copies of student employment records are destroyed at the end of the student’s employment. Database and paper employment and candidate records are maintained in a secured location for a period of three years after application or end of employment. H. Computer Center Records/ Student Information System The University maintains an electronic record on each student enrolled at the university. This record contains personal data, academic information, billing and fee payment, demographic information and biographic information. The records are stored securely in the Banner student information system and are accessible to students via their password protected MySCSU account on the World Wide Web. It is recommended that students periodically review their records for accuracy. In addition, various required reports for statistical and archival purposes are generated from the computer databases. Throughout any procedures, measures are strictly followed to maintain confidentiality and security of all student data. III. General Policies A. No record shall be made or retained unless there is a demonstrable need in relation to the basic educational aim of Southern Connecticut State University. B. All policies and practices dealing with acquiring, maintaining, or processing information about students shall be formulated with due regard to the student’s right to privacy.

C. Evaluations and/or information contributed to student record systems at Southern Connecticut State University shall be prepared only by qualified professional staff or agencies. D. A student shall be permitted to include confidential letters, statements or recommendations in their records after submitting a statement waiving right of access. E. Persons within the university having a legitimate need for information concerning students as a result of their duties at the university shall be permitted access only to those records directly related to their duties and functions. F. With the exception of any financial information furnished by parents, a student shall have the right to inspect and review their records in the presence of a professional staff member of the university, who will assist in interpreting their contents. While the academic

transcript of grades earned at Southern Connecticut State University may be viewed in the Registrar’s Office, a student interested in inspecting any other record to which they have access must contact the particular office where the record is maintained for an appointment with a professional staff member. All requests, which must be made through presentation of a university ID card, will be met as expeditiously as possible. G. If a student feels that information contained in their record is misleading, inaccurate, inappropriate, or in violation of their privacy or other rights, they shall be afforded an opportunity with the appropriate university official to challenge its content. (Note: A student may not challenge the accuracy of the recording of the grade.)

If after hearing, it is determined that the information in the record is not inaccurate and thus will not be changed, then the university STUDENT RECORDS 81

shall notify the student of their right to insert explanatory comments into the record. H. Personal information about a student obtained by members of the professional staff of the university in the discharge of their respective responsibilities will be treated in the confidential manner proscribed by professional ethics. I. The university will not record or retain records of a student’s religious or political beliefs or membership in any organizations other than honorary organizations without their knowledge or consent. J. Personally identifiable information other than that listed below will not be released to any person or agency outside the university for


any purpose without the written consent of the student. 1. Name 2. Sex 3. Dates of attendance, including full-or part-time status 4. Major field of study 5. Date of graduation 6. Participation in officially recognized activities and intercollegiate sports 7. Members of athletic teams: ages, class status, weight, height, high school, and hometown 8. Honors, degrees, and awards received 9. Previous school most recently attended, and a photograph

A student, however, shall be allowed to request in writing that any or all of the above information not be released without their prior consent. Such request must be filed with the custodian of the record during the first two weeks of each academic semester. K. Access to or the release of a record or personally identifiable information without the student’s written consent shall be limited to the following: 1. Faculty and staff members at the university who can demonstrate a legitimate educational interest. 2. Other educational institutions in which the student intends to enroll. (Note: In all such cases, the student shall be notified of the transfer of information, receive a copy of the records, if desired, and have an opportunity to challenge the contents of the record.)

3. Government officials such as authorized representatives of the United States General Accounting Office, the Department of Education, and the Department of Health and Human Services. 4. In connection with the student’s application for, or receipt of, financial aid. 5. State and local officials or authorities where required by state law. 6. Organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, educational agencies or the university for the purpose of developing, validating or administering predictive tests, administering student aid programs, and improving instruction, provided these studies are conducted in a manner that will not permit

the personal identification of students by persons other than representatives of such organizations. Such information must be destroyed when no longer needed for the purpose for which it is obtained. 7. Accrediting organizations in order to carry out their accrediting functions. 8. Parents of a student who is dependent upon such information for federal income tax purposes. 9. In compliance with judicial order or pursuant to any lawfully issued subpoena, provided the university makes reasonable effort to notify the student of the order or subpoena in advance of its compliance. 10. To appropriate persons in connection with an emergency, if the knowledge of certain information is necessary to protect the health or safety of a student or the other persons or property. L. With the exception of its own authorized personnel, the university shall maintain records of all individuals and organizations that have either requested or obtained access to the student’s records. This record of access, which shall include a statement identifying specific records to be released, the reasons for such release, and to whom was given, shall remain permanently with a student’s record. Where the consent of a student is required for the release of records, a copy of these records shall be provided to the student upon written request. M. The university shall not release personal information about a student except on the condition that the party to whom the information is being sent will not permit any other party access without the written consent of the student.


STUDENT SERVICES The University offers a full range of programs and services for students through the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs, Disability Resource Office, Multicultural Center, Office for International Students, Women’s Center, and many more. An introduction to the University offices that support student learning and development is included here. For a more detailed description of offices, programs, and services, visit or specific offices around the campus.

Academic and Career Advising Center The Center, located in the Wintergreen Building, supports students in the transition to Southern Connecticut State University from recruitment through graduation. Advisors assist the clarification of academic focus and major and in the successful translation of their academic credentials as preparation for life after the college experience. 84 STUDENT SERVICES

Academic Advising

Academic Advising is staffed by a group of experienced advisers, helping students choose both required and elective courses. The primary objective of the area is to assist new students, incoming transfer students, and undeclared majors in choosing courses required by SCSU general education and core curriculum. Individualized one-on-one advisement sessions allow students to carefully select their courses, as well as assist with other important decisions regarding a choice of major, changing majors, change in academic policies, and other academic matters. For more information, please call Academic Advising at (203) 392-5367, stop by Wintergreen 171 or visit academicadvisement.

Career Advising

Career Advising offers comprehensive career resources for all students. A range of programs enables students to explore, define, prepare for, and realize their career objectives. • Job Opportunities are available to students for full-time and part-time positions during their college tenure. All on-campus student employment is coordinated through Career Advising. National and regional employers representing all fields actively recruit through JOBSs (Job Opportunities Benefiting Southern students), an online job board available 24/7 to student and alumni looking for full-and parttime positions, co-ops, internships, and on-campus student employment. • Cooperative Education integrates study with related professional experience. Undergraduate students have the opportunity to earn money and up to 12 academic credits while gaining valuable career-related experience. • Career Development Programs include career counseling, individual consultation regarding career options, resume writing, cover letters and job search strategies with professional staff; and speakers from various businesses and organizations discussing their career fields, occupations, industries, and career opportunities. FOCUS is a web-based assessment tool that can help students find out more about majors and careers that suit their interests and skills. • Majors Expo, held in the fall semester, gives students the opportunity to explore majors and minors, while providing information about related career opportunities. • A Career Fair is held in the spring semester and attracts more than 75 employers, representing many fields, seeking students and graduates for full-time, part-time, and cooperative education positions.

• Career Resource Computer Lab offers comprehensive technical resources to all students for resume creation, career exploration, company information, and job searches. For more information, please call Career Advising at (203) 392-6536, stop by Wintergreen 118 or visit careers. Academic Computer Center See Information Technology Policies, Page 54

Audio Visual/Multi-Media Services Located in EN B 017C, the Audio Visual/MultiMedia Department (AV/TV) provides instructional services to the entire campus community. Equipment will be delivered to the designated classroom by AV/TV personnel. Portable equipment must be picked up and returned by the user. Only staff can make equipment requests for delivery to classrooms. The AV/TV Department requires two business days to reserve or pick up any equipment. For off-campus or overnight use, permission must be obtained from the coordinator of the AV/TV Department. Each person is responsible for the care, handling, use and prompt return of all equipment. Faculty/staff who need instructions for the proper use of the equipment should contact the AV/TV Department at (203) 392-5400. Equipment will not be issued unless the individual can demonstrate its proper use.

Bookstore Southern’s Barnes and Noble Bookstore is located on the ground floor of the Michael J. Adanti Student Center. The bookstore provides new textbooks, used textbooks (at 25% off new) as well as textbook rentals and digital titles that can save 50% off the new textbook price. Along with a wide range of school supplies, electronics, recycled notebooks, dorm room accessories and greeting cards are also available. Students can view and order course books


by accessing the bookstore’s website at The Bookstore conducts book buybacks everyday to recycle textbooks on campus. Up to 50% of the selling price is paid for textbooks needed for the upcoming semester. The bookstore also carries general and reference books, discounted campus bestsellers, bargain books, computer supplies as well as laptops to purchase, Southern clothing and gifts, backpacks, greeting cards, magazines, health and beauty aids and convenience snacks and beverages. The Bookstore’s fall and spring semester hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. These hours are extended at the beginning of each semester. The summer hours are Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The Bookstore accepts cash, personal checks (with picture ID), MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express, the SCSU Hoot Loot Card and Barnes & Noble gift cards. Textbooks may be returned for a refund with a sales receipt within the first week of classes (two days from start of class during the summer session). Openings for part-time employment are available at the Bookstore. Applications are preferred a month before the semester starts, but are welcome at all times. To contact the Bookstore, call (203) 392-5270; fax (203) 392-5278, visit Southern-CT.bkstore. com, or email

Bus Service Bus service to New Haven and the vicinity is provided by Connecticut Transit, which makes regularly scheduled stops on Fitch Street near the Alumni Bridge. For more information, visit

Campus Tutorial Center Located in Engleman Hall A 014, the center offers individual and small-group assistance for many introductory-level courses. Tutorials are offered 86 STUDENT SERVICES

throughout the semester, and the services are free. For our schedule or appointments, please call (203) 392-8967. For other information, call (203) 3926824 or email Visit the Campus Tutorial Center website at

Campus Writing Center Located in Engleman Hall A 012, the Campus Writing Center provides general consultation and assists students in finding ways to address writing concerns with the goal of promoting confident, selfreliant student writers. This is a free service. For our schedule or appointments, please call (203) 3928967. For other information, call (203) 392-6824 or email Visit the Campus Writing Center at

Center For Adaptive Technology Through the use of adaptive applications, as well as reading and writing aids, the Center for Adaptive Technology (CAT) helps students with visual, physical, and learning disabilities to become independent computer users. The CAT’s professional staff provides computer access evaluations and training in a supportive, accessible environment. During open lab hours students may use adaptive technology to complete coursework, access emails, print documents, and utilize the internet. Adaptive technology is also provided in other campus locations, including the library and some of the general computer labs. Call (203) 392-5799 or visit for the latest information and schedules.

Childcare Reimbursement Program The Division of Student and University Affairs sponsors a childcare reimbursement program for a limited number of both undergraduate and graduate student parents. The program offers a modest reimbursement of up to $500 per family per semester to help student parents cover childcare expenses, whether the services are provided through a licensed

daycare center or through babysitting services. The reimbursements are awarded to those students who meet all of the eligibility requirements with priority based upon financial need. All applications will be reviewed by the Child Care Reimbursement Program Committee. For more information, call (203) 3926946, or visit and click on Work-Life Balance. The Early Learning Center, a licensed day care at Gateway Community-Technical College, 20 Church Street, New Haven, provides year-round care for children ages 3-5. Sliding scale tuition is available for New Haven residents through the School Readiness Program. For information about the program and rates, call (203) 285-2131. For daycare services for children under three years of age, call the Connecticut Care Infoline at 1-800-203-1234 to receive referrals for statelicensed infant care centers throughout Connecticut.

Community Hour To strengthen a sense of campus community and to allow participation in campus events, the university has set aside two-and-a-half hours each week, from 1:05 to 1:55 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, as Academic Community Hours. During these times, student organizations, academic departments and administrative units of the university are encouraged to sponsor programs and activities.

The university strives to make the Adanti Student Center a safe and comfortable environment, realizing that it is a home away from home during a student’s time on campus. The following are some of the services that are provided at the student center: campus information center, food court, game room, computer lab, fitness center, lockers, Tyco Copy Center, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, televisions, lounges, and Wepawaug Federal Credit Union banking services.

Dining Services Hours of service in each of the following venues are subject to change.For up-to-date information on all dining services, visit foodservices. Adanti Student Center Food Court The Food Court of the Adanti Student Center, which officially opened in the fall of 2006, provides a comfortable environment for commuters, residential students, faculty and staff to grab a bite to eat or to meet with friends between classes. It features Dunkin’ Donuts, 2Mato, Mondo Subs, Nathan’s, Blue Agave, and soup. Hours of the Food Court vary throughout the year, based on the academic calendar and are posted at the location and at foodservices. Purchases can be made with cash, debit card, credit card, Food Loot, and Hoot Loot.

Commuter Student Services Students who do not live in university residence halls are considered off-campus and/or commuting students. The university is committed to meeting the unique needs of commuting students by providing information, resources, programs, outreach and advocacy. The university encourages students to become active members of the Southern community through involvement in one or more student clubs or organizations. Student involvement and the education gained outside the classroom are fundamental to student success. Commuter students are encouraged to visit the Student Center daily to relax, connect, study and eat.

Connecticut Hall Connecticut Hall is the main resident dining facility on campus, featuring full hot vegetarian and non-vegetarian entrees, daily specialty salads, salad bar, deli bar, soups, pizzas, pasta, made to order omelets, beverages and desserts. A student organized Food Service Advisory Committee works closely with the dining services management team to assure that the dining program is meeting the dining needs of students. Connecticut Hall is open Monday – Thursday from 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Saturday closed and Sunday from STUDENT SERVICES 87

10:30 a.m. – 12:00 midnight. There are three full meal plans offered – Platinum Meal Plan, Gold Meal Plan, and Silver Meal Plan. The program is the Pulse On Dining Program. The meal plans are based on unlimited access to all–you–care–to–eat, with the addition of Anywhere Meals, Guest Meals, and Food Loot dollars. Residential students who live in nonkitchen units are required to be on one of the three full meal plans. Commuter students can also purchase any of the full meal plans. In addition, there are three different Commuter Block Plans offered for students that commute. Special Note: A valid Hoot Loot ID Card must be presented to gain access to the dining room. This card is not transferable and is for the exclusive use of the purchaser. Violations of this policy will result in confiscation of the card and referral to the University Judicial Officer for disciplinary action. The Bagel Wagon, located in Engleman B wing, is a convenient place to pick up light snack food, beverages and pre-made sandwiches and to hang out in comfortable surroundings between classes. Hours vary throughout the year, based on the academic calendar, and are always posted at the location and at the food service website. During the fall and spring semesters the hours are: Monday - Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 2 p.m. Saturday & Sunday: Closed The Davis Hall Kiosk offers a wide variety of marketfresh deli sandwiches, wraps, and gourmet salads for your enjoyment. Hours are Monday-Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday closed. The North Campus Market is located on the first floor of North Campus Residence Complex. Available Items are “grab-and-go” favorites, including our famous warm cookies. Hours are Sunday-Thursday from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday closed.


Dean Of Student Affairs The Office of Student Affairs empowers students to reach their full potential by providing programs and services that nurture the intellectual, psychological, physical, cultural, and social development of students, and by promoting initiatives that encourage students to become engaged and effective leaders in the community and the region. It also sponsors university-wide events that foster an appreciation of cultural, ethnic, and individual differences and promote a life-long commitment to wellness, learning, and community service. The Assistant Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs oversees key areas of student services and assists the Vice President for Student Affairs with projects and initiatives designed to enhance student success. He serves as a sounding board for student ideas, needs, and issues and refers students to appropriate university offices. The dean is available to help solve student dilemmas. If you have questions, ideas, or concerns, stop by the Student Affairs Office, which is located in Engleman Hall A106.

The Disability Resource Center Located in Engleman Hall C 105, the Disability Resource Center (DRC) works to fulfill Southern’s longstanding commitment to the full inclusion and equal educational opportunity for all persons with disabilities. The DRC provides services and support that promote educational equity for students with disabilities. Assistance includes arranging accommodations and auxiliary aids necessary for students with disabilities to pursue their academic careers, both in and outside of the classroom. The DRC serves all students with documented disabilities that substantially impact them in educational settings. Students with documented disabilities, visible or hidden, qualify for services. Categories of disability include, but are not limited to the following: mobility/orthopedic disabilities, learning disabilities, attention deficit disorders, vision, deafness and hard of hearing, acquired head injuries, psychological disabilities, autism spectrum

disorders, and chronic health-related disabilities. DRC services include arranging course and testing accommodations; providing accessibility information; arranging for sign language interpreters, readers, and note-takers; providing help with recruitment of personal assistants; assisting with the development of compensatory skills, such as time management, organization, and study skills. The DRC provides access to assistive technology through the CAT lab, and alternate formats for texts. Students interested in obtaining more information should contact the DRC, located in Engleman C 105, by calling (203) 392-6828, 392-6131 TTY, (203) 392-6829 FAX or by visiting NOTE: Only one classroom on campus is inaccessible to persons with mobility limitations. If a course is scheduled in Davis 102, students are urged to inform the DRC as soon as possible to ensure relocation of the class to an accessible location by the start of the semester.

Identification Card: Hoot Loot Card The Southern Hoot Loot ID Card is the primary university identification card, mandatory for all students. In addition, the card provides access to residence halls, meal plans and computer labs and functions as your library card. The card also contains your unique eight-digit university identification number. Students currently registered (or paying the continuous enrollment fee) may obtain the Southern Hoot Loot ID Card by visiting the University Card Office, located in the Wintergreen Building. Students should bring proof of registration or enrollment (a current bill printout) and another form of photo ID for verification. Normal hours of operation are Monday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Tuesday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Friday, 8 a.m.–4 p.m. The Southern Hoot Loot ID Card can also act as an optional campus debit card, allowing students additional privileges and services at Southern. With use of this campus debit account, students can deposit money into their Hoot Loot account to make purchases at various locations on and off campus. If they choose to do so, they can enjoy the convenience

of purchasing from the following: • Southern Barnes & Noble Bookstore • On-campus snack and soda machines • Laundry services (for residents) • Bus trips and other campus activities • Participating local stores and restaurants Students who have questions about Hoot Loot or who would like to add money to their Hoot Loot accounts over the phone, should call (203) 392-7077. For additional information about Hoot Loot or to add money to the Hoot Loot Card from a secure website, visit Report lost or stolen cards to the University Card Office during normal business hours by calling (203) 392-7077. After business hours, report lost or stolen cards to the University Police at (203) 392-5375. There will be a $10 fee for the first replacement card and a $20 fee for each additional card thereafter.

Inter-Faith Office The Inter-Faith Office considers spiritual growth an important part of personal development. Several chaplains are active on campus, enabling students to make appointments. Students may also stop by the Inter-Faith Office, Adanti Student Center Room 228, for assistance.

International Students The Office of International Education (OIE) is a hub for students and faculty members — domestic and international alike — who seek to integrate international study, research, or teaching into their academic programs. In addition, the OIE works with degree-seeking international students, exchange students, and visiting scholars on matters related to visas, employment, immigration, and more; the office works with domestic students interested in studying abroad either on an SCSU faculty-led program, through one of the University’s reciprocal exchange partner universities abroad, or through an approved study abroad organization (semester or full year); and finally, the OIE offers Fulbright Program assistance for both students and faculty. Perhaps most importantly, the OIE is a place where SCSU’s international students and faculty can come to STUDENT SERVICES 89

discuss matters related to their studies and American academic culture, as well as everyday life, social interaction, and communication in the United States. The OIE has two offices located on the first floor of Engleman Hall. OIE’s “A” office (Study Abroad, Inbound Exchange, J-1 visas, H-1B visas, and Fulbright) is located in EN B 129. OIE’s “B” office (F-1 visas) is located in EN B 116. For more information, please call (203) 392-6756 for the A office and (203) 392-6947 for the B office.

Lactation Room To help students balance the demands of their studies and parenthood, the university now provides a Lactation Room. The Lactation Room is located in the Women’s Lounge in Connecticut Hall on the first floor. This private room contains a rocker and a wash area. Students who need a quiet, welcoming space in which to pump breast milk may use the Lactation Room. Students interested in using the Lactation Room should call Catherine Christy, Women’s Center, at (203) 392-6946, or e-mail, for room registration details.


telephone (203) 392-5756 or at library. Enter your network campus username and password to access the online patron record. Fines and Overdue Materials Students should be aware of the return date for each item they check out. Policies on fines and lost material are available on the library’s website. Borrowers who lose an item should report its loss immediately and are responsible for its replacement, including a non-refundable processing fee. All library charges for lost or overdue books must be paid as they occur or a block will be placed, preventing a student’s future registration privileges and requests for transcripts. Interlibrary Loan Students may request materials from any of the other CSUS libraries through our online CONSULS catalog. These inter-campus loans can usually be picked up within 3 to 5 days. The library also participates in an interlibrary loan network that borrows most material not available in the CSUS libraries through an international database (ILL). Students need to create a personal profile online at and will then have access to the ILL forms. Allow sufficient time for locating and receiving material.

The Hilton C. Buley Library is the academic hub on campus. Library resources total over 600,000 items, including print books and journals, e-books, e-journals, electronic databases, DVDs, CDs, government documents, and curriculum and instructioal materials. Viewing and listening stations are available. Headsets can be checked out at the circulation desk. The library’s special collections include state and local history, an SCSU author collection, and the papers of former New Haven Mayor John DeStefano.

Library Hours During the fall and spring semesters, the library is open Mondays through Thursdays, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.; Fridays, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m.5 p.m.; Sundays, 1 p.m.-11 p.m. Hours during the summer, holiday and intersession periods vary and are posted on the library home page.

Circulation Library patrons, who are currently enrolled or conducting research for a thesis or course completion, can check out material using their Hoot Loot card. The loan period is normally four weeks, with two renewals. Materials can be renewed by

Library Instruction Librarians teach classes and workshops to aid students in conducting research. Presentations are offered on search strategies and selection of appropriate research information using both print and online resources. Formal presentations in


specific subject areas are arranged by teaching faculty for individual classes. General orientation tours of Buley Library are offered as requested. Periodicals The library maintains over 970 journal subscriptions and provides access to more than 76,000 unique e-journal titles. Current issues of print subscriptions are shelved around the perimeter of the Ground Floor Periodicals Reading Room. Back issue content is available either in bound volumes, microfilm/microfiche format or digitally, as noted in the Connectucut State University Library System online catalog (CONSULS). Microform reader/printer/scanners are available for using micro-format materials, including journals, thesis and historic literature, and newspaper collections. Photocopiers/Book Scan Machines The photocopiers have been replaced with book scanning machines on the ground and first floors, where you can scan, email, or download information to your flash drive. Reference and Information Services The main floor of Buley Library features a professionally staffed Reference Desk where

librarians provide research assistance in utilizing CONSULS (the Connecticut State University Library System online catalog), more than 150 online research databases, the Internet and the 40,000volume reference collection. Library Reserve Materials Reserve materials are available in both print and electronic formats. Most print reserve materials circulate for an hour at a time and may be requested at the Circulation Desk. Some reserve materials can be checked out overnight and should be returned by 9 a.m. the next day. Electronic reserves are available at and can be accessed 24/7 from on or off-campus. Enter your network campus username and password to access electronic reserves material.

Lockers Lockers in the Adanti Student Center are available for commuter students on a first-come, firstserved basis. Students must provide their own locks. Commuter students can reserve a locker through the Adanti Student Center room 325 at the start of the semester. For more information, call the ASC Main Desk at (203) 392-5500. STUDENT SERVICES 91

Lost and Found The university is not responsible for the loss of personal property. The lost and found service is located in the University Police Department. Such articles should be turned in or claimed at this office.

John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts The Lyman Center is a 1500 seat theatre that presents events for the University and public. The venue is also available for use by recognized SCSU student organizations. Please contact the Lyman Scheduling Office at (203) 392-6165 to inquire about scheduling an event and the associated costs of holding this activity in the Lyman Center. For upcoming performances information offered at the Lyman Center please contact the box office at (203) 392-6154 or visit

Mail Both campus and out-going mail can be left at the Mail Services Department in the Wintergreen Building. Messages for faculty members can be left in their mailboxes located in each department office. Only residence hall students are assigned mailboxes. Stamps can be purchased at the book store in the Adanti Student Center.

Multi-Cultural Center The Multi-Cultural Center serves as a resource for the university and the community, promoting an awareness and appreciation of cultural diversity. It sponsors outreach programs with area schools and conducts art exhibitions, film programs, lectures and conferences. In addition, the center houses an extensive book and video library. The Multi-Cultural Center, located in the Adanti Student Center, is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

New Student Orientation Our orientation programs are designed to provide new students with information they will need to have a successful transition into Southern. These sessions and experiences will provide students with information critical to their academic success, allow 92 STUDENT SERVICES

new students to network with professional faculty and staff, socialize with their peers, and to finalize registration for their courses. In addition, students experience the history and culture of the university and have an opportunity to learn from our Orientation Ambassadors, who are extensively trained student leaders. New Student Orientation is designed for first-time students and students transferring to Southern with 15 credits or less. For more information please visit Transfer Student Orientation is a one-day program intended for students transferring 15 or more college credits. Although transfer students may be familiar with the college environment, we recognize that experiences can vary from one institution to another. Transfer Student Orientation focuses on the issues and resources that are most relevant to transfer student success. For more information please visit For students beginning in the fall semester: First-time college students and transfer students who have earned less than 15 credits who will be attending Southern Connecticut State University in the fall semester must attend a two-day new student orientation session scheduled during the summer. Transfer students transferring to the university with more than 15 credits are required to attend a one-day program offered in late spring and throughout the summer. For students beginning in the spring semester: A mandatory one-day orientation is scheduled in January for first-time students who are beginning in the spring semester and transfer students who have earned less than 15 credits. Transfer students transferring to the university in the spring with more than 15 credits will have the opportunity to attend a one-day transfer student orientation offered during the months of December and January. Additionally, transfer student experiences are held the first week of each spring semester.

Non-Traditional Students Located in Engleman Hall B 018, the Office for Non-Traditional Students offers personal and career counseling, academic advisement, and a peer support program for non-traditional students. Included in this category are older students ranging in age from 22 to 60, those returning to college after raising a family, and those looking to change their careers. For information, call Jack Mordente at (203) 392-6822 or e-mail

Notary Public A notary public is available to students in the Adanti Student Center Main Office, room 325. Please call (203)-392-5500 for hours.

Office of Study Skills Enrichment Located in Engleman Hall B 018 and C 016, the Office of Study Skills Enrichment is open to all Southern students regardless of enrollment status. Each semester, staff members provide a series of workshops designed to help students develop their study skills and scholastic habits to promote academic success. The Office of Study Skills Enrichment provides additional services such as assistance with academic planning, individual assessment, follow-up, and referrals. Materials are available in the form of reading resources, selfassessment tools, and videotaped workshops. The staff of the Office of Study Skills Enrichment develops and presents scheduled workshops for the campus community. For more information, call Tom Colby at (203) 392-6818 or

by guest speakers, and much more. The Office of Sustainability also tracks progress toward meeting greenhouse gas and waste reduction goals of the Presidents Climate Commitment. For more information, call (203) 392-7135 or visit

Records/Registrar’s Office The Registrar’s Office, located in the Wintergreen Building, is responsible for registration add/drops, withdrawals, and the maintenance of official academic records. The office also compiles the Dean’s List, processes transcripts and certification for teachers, and handles Social Security and other government forms. Forms for change of address, certification, transcripts, and applications for a degree are available in the office and on the Web.

Office of Sustainability The Office of Sustainability at SCSU connects students, faculty, and staff with the information, people, and tools they need to make our campus more sustainable. We encourage and welcome ideas and participation by the entire campus community. We provide a wide range of opportunities for campus community engagement, including Campus Conservation Nationals, Recyclemania, the Campus Community Garden, Plant It Forward, presentations

Recreational Facilities Recreational facilities available to university students include the Adanti Student Center, Pelz Gymnasium, Moore Fieldhouse, and various athletic fields. Information and brochures describing recreation activities, intramural offerings, and club sports may be obtained in the Student Life Office, room 212, Adanti Student Center. See Student Center section, page 96, for details STUDENT SERVICES 93

on joining the Southern Fitness Center located on the second floor of the Adanti Student Center.

Recycling Southern Connecticut State University is committed to being a good citizen, and part of being a good citizen is environmental stewardship. Look for the “Give a Hoot, Please Recycle” logo on recycling containers throughout the Southern Campus. Make a commitment to do your part to separate recyclables from non-recyclable materials. For information regarding the recycling program, visit or contact Heather Stearns, Recycling Coordinator, at (203) 392-6931.

Residence Life The purpose of the residential program at Southern is to provide a comfortable and safe living environment for full-time students which supports their academic and personal pursuits. To aid in this purpose, residents are encouraged to become involved in hall and campus activities; develop friendships; and participate in a multitude of programs and experiential learning opportunities to connect classroom learning and real-life application. Residence halls at Southern are staffed by fulltime professional Hall Directors who supervise a staff of trained Resident Advisors who live on each floor and Desk Attendants who manage the 24-hour Welcome Desk. Residence Life staff members provide support in the residence halls in a number of ways, including: referrals to campus resources, developing community among the residents, responding to emergencies, and providing social and educational programming. Southern offers several styles of living, including traditional double and triple rooms; suites; and apartments. West Campus, Neff, Hickerson, Farnham, Chase, and Wilkinson Halls offer double and triple rooms with community bathrooms and lounges for first and second year students. Alcohol is prohibited in these communities West Campus and Brownell offer suite-style rooms with bathrooms. Residents living in any of 94 STUDENT SERVICES

these communities are required to purchase a meal plan which can be used at Connecticut Hall (main cafeteria-style facility), the Adanti Student Center, and convenience stores located around campus. Alcohol is prohibited in the West Campus Residence Complex. Schwartz Hall and the North Campus Midrise and Townhouses offer two, four or six person apartments with private bathrooms and full kitchens. Students living in these communities are required to purchase a $300 declining balance. Residence hall amenities include: fully furnished rooms, internet access, digital cable, microfridge units in rooms and suites; and refrigerators, stoves, and microwaves in the apartments. Selected locations offer common area lounges, computer labs, and air conditioning. Students who decide to live on campus are expected to abide by the terms of the Residential Student Rights and Responsibilities, the Residence Hall Contract, and the University Code of Conduct. Students may request on-campus residence by contacting the Office of Residence Life located in Schwartz Hall 100, by email at reslife@SouthernCT. edu, by phone at (203) 392.5869, or visit

R.I.D.E.S: Reducing Individual Dangers and Encouraging Safety R.I.D.E.S. is a safe rides program designed to offer students a responsible mode of transportation when needed. R.I.D.E.S. is available 24 hours a day and can be used for any reason, no questions asked. It is especially designed for circumstances when a student might lack cash, but need to get out of an unsafe or uncomfortable situation. For more information on the program, contact the DARC office at (203) 392-5087.

Sexuality and Gender Equality (SAGE) Center The Sexuality and Gender Equality Center (SAGE) — Southern’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning and allies (LGBTIQQA) center — provides positive academic

and cultural support for all persons of sexual diversity including students, faculty, staff, alumni/ae and university guests. To achieve that goal, the center provides a safe communal space, personal support, resource information, relevant programming and positive acknowledgement of the LGBTIQQA community and its equality in the world today. The SAGE Center works to create a campus atmosphere of tolerance and understanding that is open and accepting — and free from the oppressive forces of homophobia, heterosexism and gender bias. Programming events include lectures, discussions, social events, films and other presentations throughout the academic year. For more information, call (203) 392-8989.

Scheduling Office for Non-Class Programs and Events The Scheduling Office coordinates scheduling and support services for classroom space and outdoor areas for non-class programs and events. The staff is available to meet with prospective users to discuss support services and/or fees associated with any of the available facilities. The office is located in John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts, room 116. For information, call (203) 3926165.

Scholarships, Alumni Association There are more than 180 Southern scholarships that cover a variety of majors, extracurricular interests, community activities and financial need. Contact the Alumni Relations Office at (203) 3926500 with questions or visit alumni/scholarshipprogram.

Speech/Hearing Clinic The Center for Communication Disorders assists any student who needs help with a speech, voice, language or hearing problem or who wants to improve their proficiency in spoken English. Located in DA 012, the center is open from Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The center is staffed by licensed,

certified speech-language pathologists and audiologists and by graduate student clinicians from the Department of Communication Disorders. Appointments can be made in person or by calling (203) 392-5955.

Student Center The Michael J. Adanti Student Center is a modern, 125,000-square-foot, multi-purpose facility located on the corner of Crescent and Fitch Streets, easily accessible from the Alumni Footbridge. With fantastic views of West rock and the campus, large sun-filled atriums and outdoor patios, the four-story building is the hearth and home of campus life, a place where students, faculty and staff can meet on common ground. The Adanti Student Center provides educational, cultural, social and recreational programs that compliment education outside the classroom. Equally exciting, the Student Center provides an opportunity to strengthen ties to offcampus entities such as corporations, art organizations and civic and professional groups through conferences, exhibitions and similar collaborative events. The Adanti Student Center is the home of a stateof-the-art fitness center, fireplace lounge, quiet study lounge, grand ballroom, 200-seat movie theatre, bookstore, computer lab, game room, Dunkin Donuts and four dining establishments: 2Mato, Nathan’s, Blue Agave, and Mondo Subs. The Student Center has multiple lounges and meeting rooms, the Wepawaug-Flagg Credit Union banking service and a satellite station for campus police, as well as office space for clubs and organizations. In addition, the Student Center offers an Information Center, access to e-mail terminals, wireless services, and a hydration station. The Adanti Student Center offers meeting rooms to suit every need, whether the occasion is a casual, small-group gathering or a formal dinner and reception. The Student Center also accommodates large conferences as well as break-out sessions. All rooms feature upscale furnishings, state-of-the-art audio-visual components and wireless/computer STUDENT SERVICES 95

accessibility. The ballroom is 7,000 square feet of space that provides an elegant yet versatile venue for signature events such as academic and business conferences, formal dances or dinners. It is also the perfect setting for activities that attract a large gathering, from career fairs and open houses to religious services. To make a reservation, contact the Michael J. Adanti Student Center at (203) 392-5500 or visit All clubs and organizations must reserve their space early. The Student Center asks that users plan their scheduled meetings one semester in advance. Reservations will be available in October for the following spring semester and in March for the fall semester. Student Center Hours of Operation Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.–12 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. Saturday, 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. Sunday, 2 p.m.–10 p.m. Fitness Center The Southern Fitness Center is a 7,500- squarefoot facility located on the second floor of the Michael J. Adanti Student Center. It is designed to provide a positive environment for members to engage in moderate exercise and improve or maintain their desired level of personal fitness. Use of the facility is limited to current members. Facility includes: • Variety of cardiovascular equipment and weight machines. • Plate-loaded machines and free weights ranging from two to 100 pounds. • Accessory equipment including stability balls, jump ropes, resistance bands, TRX, etc., are also available. • A stretching/abs space as well as a cycling room and a group exercise room allow for a complete workout for members. • Locker rooms with day lockers and showers. Membership All current Southern students, faculty, and staff 96 STUDENT SERVICES

are eligible to purchase a membership for the Fitness Center. Memberships include unlimited use of the Fitness Center during operational hours, a fitness orientation, and access to group exercise classes as well as incentive programs. Other services may be available at an additional cost. For the most up-todate information on cost of membership, hours of operation, policies, and procedures, and how to join, visit

Student Membership on University Committees Students in good academic standing are eligible to serve as representatives on student-faculty committees. These joint membership committees focus on significant areas of university community life and share in policy development. Interested students should consult with the Student Government Association, Adanti Student Center, Room 218, or with the Office of Student Life, Adanti Student Center, Room 212, for information regarding membership on a committee.

Telephones/Public Phones/Courtesy Phones Southern provides five public phones on campus from which local calls can be made by members of the university community and the general public for FREE. They are located at the following campus sites: John Lyman Center for the Performing Arts (one courtesy phone is located in the main lobby near the box office sales window, and another is located in the back hallway outside of the Kendall Drama Lab); the Connecticut Hall lobby; the Adanti Student Center street level, near lockers, and the Schwartz Hall lobby.

University Access Programs EOP (for admitted students) The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) improves the access, retention, and graduation of students who are economically and/or educationally disadvantaged. The EOP helps ease the transition to Southern by providing comprehensive academic support services in admissions, financial assistance,

orientation, as well as academic and personal advising. For more information,contact Dawn Stanton-Holmes in Engleman B222 at (203)-3926812 or GEAR-UP (Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs; for seventh graders) GEAR-UP is designed to increase the number of students prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education and to provide scholarships for eligible high school seniors. Southern provides early and ongoing academic planning, counseling and assessment, as well as tutoring and mentoring activities for academic improvement. Information sessions on college admissions, financial aid, career exposure, job shadowing, and college field trips are offered, as well as outreach activities for parents. For more information, contact Marvis Brown in Davis Hall room 206 at (203)-392-5575 or Southern Academy (for middle school students) Southern is committed to improving educational standards and opportunities to bridge the achievement gap, and help fourth-graders realize that college is an attainable dream. Students attend an intensive 5-week summer program and receive tutoring and mentoring during the school year. For more information, contact Aaron Washington at (203)-392-5556 or WashingtonA1@ University Access Programs (for admitted students) University Access Programs (UAP) formerly known as ConnCAS) is a joint effort between the Department of Higher Education and Southern, serving students who may not have access to a higher education. The target population is geographically, ethnically, and socio-economically diverse. Each candidate has experienced difficultly in one or more academic areas in high school. Students chosen for this program show promise for success in college. For additional information, contact Aaron Washington at (203)-392-5556 or WashingtonA1@

Veterans Services Located in Engleman Hall B 018, this office provides veterans with counseling, academic advisement, guidance on the GI Bill, tuition waiver certification, and assistance in dealing with the Veteran’s Administration. The university urges all veterans attending Southern to visit this office and take advantage of its many services. For more information, call Jack Mordente at (203) 392-6822 or e-mail

Voter Registration for Students Southern Connecticut State University is committed to supporting the voting process by assisting with campus voter registration drives and by encouraging student participation in the election process. Information regarding voter registration can be found at Voter registration forms are available on campus in the SCSU Multicultural Affairs Office, Michael J. Adanti Student Center, room 234. All students are urged to take advantage of this convenient registration service and exercise their rights and duties as citizens by becoming registered voters. For more information, please call the SCSU Multicultural Affairs Office at (203) 392- 5888.


STUDENT-UNIVERSITY RELATIONS Students are granted many rights and responsibilities through the University’s Academic Honesty Policy and the Student Bill of Rights. Students should know their rights and responsibilities, as well as the procedure for filing grievances when a violation occurs.

Academic Honesty Academic honesty is the cornerstone of higher education. An honest approach to one’s work is the only approach—in the laboratory, in research or in examinations. Cheating of any kind is, and must be, condemned by all members of a college community. Violations Behavior that falls under the heading of academic dishonesty includes the following: A. The use of illicit aids during examination periods; B. The giving and receiving of aid on any examinations; 98 STUDENT-UNIVERSITY RELATIONS

C. Copying from another student’s examination, term paper, laboratory report, etc.; D. The falsification of work or records; E. The theft of course materials; F. Plagiarism: Plagiarism is using the words or ideas of another writer and presenting them as your own. It is a kind of academic theft and is therefore dishonest. Once your name appears on an essay or term paper, you are stating that the ideas and language in the paper that are not attributed to another are entirely your own and that the reader assumes that these are your work. An obvious form of plagiarism is copying the exact words from your source without providing quotation marks and without giving credit to the source, usually in a footnote. A less obvious but equally dishonest form of plagiarism is the changing of a few words (paraphrasing) or using of an author’s original idea without properly introducing and documenting that change or usage. The ideas,

interpretations and words of an author belong to the author. They are the author’s property. They are protected by law, and they must be acknowledged whenever you borrow them. Alleged violations of academic misconduct are handled through processes outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.

with their studies in order to understand fully the nature of the material presented. There shall be a means established for student evaluation of course and instruction.

Student Bill Of Rights

Amendments Amendments to this Bill of Rights must be ratified by the Student Government, the Faculty Senate and the Administration.

Southern Connecticut State University exists to communicate knowledge, to encourage scholarship, to develop responsible students, to contribute to the worth and dignity of humankind, to add to the general well-being of society and, ultimately, to advance the pursuit of truth. To accomplish these goals, Southern has created an atmosphere in which education extends beyond the formal classroom situation—an atmosphere that encourages individual development within a strong but flexible structure. With this structure as their common base, the student and the university work together to educate and develop the student to their fullest capacity. As citizens, students enjoy the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Connecticut and have the same duties and responsibilities as other citizens. Academic Evaluation and Instruction Each student has the right to be evaluated entirely on the basis of their academic performance and to have this right guaranteed by orderly, clearly defined procedures. Students have the right of access to the evaluation of their performance so they can know their strengths and weaknesses. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain academic standards, to understand the procedures for evaluation and to function accordingly. Each student has the right to expect a professor to present course content that is relevant to their academic discipline. Moreover, each student has the right to expect a professor to be adequately prepared for class and to be accessible for individual conference. It is the responsibility of the student to seek individual help when needed and to keep up

Association Students bring to the campus a variety of interests and, as members of the academic community, they shall be free to develop new interests. They shall be free to organize and to join associations in accordance with university policies to promote their common interests. 1. The membership, policies and actions of a student organization shall be determined by vote of only those members who are currently registered at the university. 2. Student organizations that have acquired institutional recognition shall be free to affiliate with any university and non-university organization with which the student organization shares common interests and goals, providing that such organizations do not contradict the Student Bill of Rights and abide by the rules and regulations of the university. 3. Each student organization shall be free to recommend a faculty adviser. Faculty advisers shall be members of the university and shall advise organizations in the exercise of their responsibilities as they function in line with their purposes, but they shall not have the authority to control the policy of such organizations. 4. Student organizations organized in accordance with university policies shall be required to submit for approval a statement of purpose, criteria for membership, rules of procedure, a current list of officers and members to the Office of Student Life, ASC 213. STUDENT-UNIVERSITY RELATIONS 99

Classroom Each student is free to take reasoned and reasonable exception, without interference to data and views presented in any course and to reserve judgment in matters of opinion. The learning process involves more than mastering course content; it should also involve development of motivation to learn and guidance in independent study while encouraging students to develop to their fullest potential. The student’s concurrent responsibility is to exercise their freedom of expression in an orderly manner that reflects thought, scholarly analysis, courtesy and knowledge of the course material. Curriculum Revision and Evaluation All members of the university (faculty, students and administrators) shall be free to present proposals for curricular revisions and evaluation. Each of the above three must recognize that curricular revision and evaluation entails perceiving the scope of the entire university. The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee—composed of students, faculty and administrators—shall channel proposals to the appropriate office or department. Discrimination All students shall be assured that university rules, regulations and policies (including classes, athletics, facilities, student housing and student organizations) will be in full compliance with state and federal legislation granting equal protection of the law regardless of religious creed, race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation or disability. Governance Students may serve on various official university boards and committees. Through this participation, students perform the invaluable function of improving communications between the student body and the university faculty and administration. These student representatives bring the opinions and concerns of the entire student community into focus on particular areas of committee responsibilities, so as to define 100 STUDENT-UNIVERSITY RELATIONS

and achieve the goals of the university as a whole and enrich the individual lives of all its members. Privacy Each student has the right to privacy, and this right shall not be violated by other occupants, employees or administrative personnel. Although it is recognized that administrative personnel may supervise and inspect for cleanliness, health, safety and maintenance, they shall not engage in any search of personal possessions of students. If such a search is deemed necessary by the Dean of Student Affairs, it shall first be authorized by the university President. Prior to any such search, every effort shall be made to notify the student concerned. If it is not possible to inform the student of the search and/or if they are not available to be present, the student should be immediately informed of its outcome. Protest Southern students and student organizations shall have the right to examine and discuss all questions of interest to them, to express opinion publicly and privately and to support causes by orderly means. They may organize public demonstrations and protest gatherings and utilize the right to petition. Students do not have the right to deprive others of the opportunity to speak or be heard, to damage the property of others, to invade the privacy of others, to disrupt the regular and essential operation of the university or to interfere with the rights of others. Policy Resolution on Campus Freedom and Order by the Board of Trustees for the Connecticut State University Be It Resolved That the Board of Trustees: • Affirms and supports for the university the concepts of freedom of thought, inquiry, speech and lawful assembly; • Affirms the right of individuals and groups in the university to assemble, to dissent, to picket and to demonstrate on the university campuses within the limits of administrative guidelines or regulations; and

• Affirms the right of all individuals and groups at all times to pursue their normal activities within the university and to be protected from physical injury or property damage. Be It Further Resolved: That the Board of Trustees for the Connecticut State Universities hereby declares that the following are forms of conduct contrary to the purposes and well-being of the Connecticut State Universities and are prohibited. Such conduct provides grounds for disciplinary proceedings leading to probation, suspension or expulsion and to resort to enforcement agencies when necessary. 1. Interfering with the freedom of any person to express their views, including invited speakers; 2. Disrupting the orderly conduct of instruction, research, administration, disciplinary proceedings or other university activities; 3. Interfering, in any manner whatsoever, with the access to or exit from any university campus or the buildings, classrooms, libraries, meeting rooms, offices or other premises that

are duly open to members of the campus community or to other persons; 4. Occupying or utilizing without authorization any building or facility or portion thereof; 5. Damaging or destroying property or removing or using such property without authorization; 6. Possessing of firearms or detaining any person or removing such person from any place where they are authorized personnel; 7. Physically restraining or detaining any person or removing such person from any place where they are authorized or otherwise free to remain and; 8. Failing to comply with direction of Southern officials acting in performance of their duties. The News Media Student publications and other news media are recognized as a valuable aid in establishing and maintaining an atmosphere of free and responsible discussion and of intellectual exploration on the campus. It is a further recognized function of such


publications and other news media to serve as a vehicle for exposition of opinions of the university community. Students have the right to express opinions in campus publications and via other news media without fear of reprisal. 1. The amount of financial support given each publication and other news media shall be recommended by the Student Media Board and approved by the Dean of Student Affairs. 2. Having cognizance of the requirement for truth and accuracy in whatever is published or reported, the student news media shall be free of censorship. The right to freedom of expression must be governed by the rules of responsible journalism and reporting and shall be recognized as a requirement for each publication or other news media. Included in this basic tenet of journalism are: (1) the obligation to present accurate and correct information; (2) the opportunity for expression by all members of the university; (3) the right of “equal time” for all sides of an issue.


Speakers and Topics Student organizations shall be allowed to invite and to hear any person of their own choosing. The university’s control of campus facilities and the allocation of funds for guest speakers shall not be used as a device of censorship. Any routine procedures required before a guest speaker is invited to appear shall be designed only to ensure that there are no conflicts in the scheduling of speakers or facilities, that proper facilities are used, that there is adequate preparation for the event and that the occasion is conducted in a manner appropriate to an academic community. It shall be made clear to the academic and larger community that sponsorship of guest speakers does not necessarily imply approval or endorsement of the views expressed, either by the sponsoring group or by Southern Connecticut State University. Student Records and Disclosure Southern Connecticut State University shall have a carefully considered policy as to the information that shall be a part of a student’s

permanent educational record and as to the conditions of its disclosure. To minimize the risk of improper disclosure, academic and disciplinary records shall be separate and the conditions of access to each shall be set forth in an explicit policy statement. Data from disciplinary and counseling files shall not be available to unauthorized persons on campus or to any unauthorized persons off campus without the express consent of the student involved, except under lawful compulsion or in cases where the safety of persons or property is involved. 1. Academic records are permanently on file at Southern Connecticut State University. No records shall be kept that reflect the political activities or political beliefs of students. Provision shall also be made for routine destruction of disciplinary records at a specific time after graduation. Administrative staff, student personnel officers and non-professional staff shall respect the confidential information about students that they acquire in the course of their work.

2. Students shall be aware that persons given for personal reference or recommendations are legally free to give any relevant information required by the reference. 3. Personal and disciplinary records of students who leave the university without graduating may be saved for reference in the event a student applies for re-admission to Southern Connecticut State University.

Student Grievances Definition of Grievance A student grievance shall be defined as a violation of a student’s rights as set forth in the Student Bill of Rights contained in this handbook. It is further defined as a difference, complaint or dispute resulting from alleged administrative or academic injustice or regarding the interpretation and application of university policy and/or procedures. Academic injustice is not to be construed to include the change of a student’s grade. Procedures for grade appeals are outlined on pages 14-17.


STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT The Student Code of Conduct presents a clear statement of students’ rights and responsibilities established by the Connecticut Board of Regents for Higher Education. It defines prohibited conduct, the disciplinary process for violations, and potential consequences for violations. To view the Student Code of Conduct, visit codeofconduct.



DIRECTORY Absences, Class Your instructor Absences, Extended Medical Counseling Office/B 219 • 25475 Dean of Students Office/EN A106 • 25556 Academic Advisement Frank Ladore/WT 154 • 28888 Academic and Career Counseling WT 171 • 25367 AMS Lewis DeLuca/WT• 28862 Accidents Emergency 911 University Police/GR • 25375 Health Services/GR • 26300 Accounts Payable WT • 26844 Adaptive Technology Bogdan Zamfir/ENB017A • 25798 Adding Courses Registrar/WT • 25301 Alumni Association

Billing; Business Office Bursar’s Office/WT • 26140 Career Services Pat Whalen/WT • 26536 Catering Services Jennifer Herndon/CO • 26987 Change Of Name Or Address Registrar’s Office/WT • 25301 Class Advisers Denise Bentley-Drobish/ASC • 25782 Closing University Weather Check (203) 392-SNOW(2-7669) (203) 392-5520 Clubs And Organizations Sal Rizza/ASC • 25168 Club Sports Eric LaCharity/ASC • 25782 College Prep Program Awareness

Michelle Johnston/WT 170 • 26500

Marvis Brown/EN B0006 • 25575

Athletics, Intercollegiate MFH 203 • 26047 • Audio/Visual Equipment EN B 17 C • 25400 Auditing Course Registrar’s Office/WT • 25301 Barnes & Noble Bookstore

CLEP Exams Monica Raffone/WT • 26194 Commencement Information Patrick Dilger/WT • 26588 Communication Disorder Center

Larry Gal/ASC Bookstore • 25270

Patricia McMahon/DA 12 • 25954

Kevin McNamara/DA 12A • 25982


Counseling Services EN 219A 25475 Credits Transferred Registrar’s Office/WT • 25301 Dean’s List Academic Affairs/EN A112 • 25350 Degree Requirements Registrar’s Office/WT • 25301 Dining Services Chartwells • 26976 Directory Information Directory Assistance • 25200 or 392-5201 Disability Resource Center Goldie Adele/EN C105 • 26828 Discipline, Student Chris Piscitelli/EN B 116 • 26188 Diversity And Equity Programs Pamela Lassiter, J.D. • 25491 Dropping Courses Registrar/WT • 25301 Discrimination Issues Pamela Lassiter, J.D. • 25491 Emergencies: Police, Fire, Medical Telephone 911 Public Telephone 392-5375 Employment, Off-Campus Career Services/SZ 102 • 26536 Employment, On-Campus Career Services/SZ 102 • 26536

Facilities, Use Of Athletic Facilities: MFH 211 • 26003 Classrooms: LY 116 • 26165 Connecticut Hall: Eric Simms/ASC • 25503 Lyman Center: Dave Starkey/LY 105 • 26163 Student Center: Eric Simms/ASC • 25503 Financial Aid WT • 25222 Fitness Center Jessica Scibek/ASC 264 • 28971 Food Service Operations Brad Crerar/ASC • 25505 Fund Raising, Clubs Denise Bentley-Drobish/ASC • 25782 Grade Change Your Instructor Grades, Problem with Registrar’s Office/WT • 25301 Graduate Student Affairs Committee Arlene Lucibello/LY 116 • 26165 Graduation, Application For Records Office/WT • 25301 Health Services GR • 26300 Hearing Evaluations James Dempsey/DA 12G • 25955


Honors College

Multicultural Affairs

Terese Gemme/EN B 225A • 25499

Dian Brown-Albert/ASC 209 • 25879

Honors Thesis Sandra Bulmer/OBI 101 • 26993 Housing, On-Campus Robert DeMezzo/SZ 100 • 25886 Identification (ID) Cards (Hoot Loot) WT • 27077 Independent Study Academic Dean Insurance, Student Bursar’s Office/WT • 26140 International Students Aliya Amin/EN B 116 • 26821 Intramural Sports Eric LaCharity/ASC 227 • 25792 Learning Resource Center BU 313 • 25713 Liberal Studies Program Christine Barrett/WT 131 • 26195 Loans, Student Federal Perkins Loan • 25222 Federal Stafford Loan • 25222 Lost And Found University Police/GR • 25375 Mail WT 143 • 25268 Medical Claim Forms Health Services/GR • 26300

Musical Activities EA 120A • 26625 New England Regional Program Registrar’s Office/WT • 25301 New Student Orientation Denise Bentley-Drobish/ASC • 25782 Notary Public Janet Schneider/ASC 308 • 25500 Jan Pettie/ASC 231 • 27068 Parking Permits (Off-Campus Students) University Police/GR • 25375 Personal Problems Counseling Office/EN B 219A • 25475 Police Walking Escort Services University Police/GR • 25375 Programs Council Denise Bentley-Drobish/ASC 212 • 25782 Recreation Activities Eric LaCharity/ASC 227 • 25792 Refunds Bursar’s Office/WT • 25328 Registration Registrar’s Office/WT • 25301 Religious Services Interfaith Office/ASC 228 • 25331 Residency Status Registrar’s Office/WT • 25301 SAGE Center 28989


Scholarships, Alumni Association Doreen Gilhuly/WT • 26500 Senior Citizen Services Frank Ladore/WT • 28888 Sexual Assault University Police/GR • 25375 Sexual Harassment Pamela Lassiter, J.D. • 25491 Shuttle Bus Service University Police/GR • 25375 Southern News ASC 225 • 26928 Sports Information/Publications MFH 210 • 26005 Student Government SGA Office/ASC 222 • 26937 Student Media Board Jeff Mock/EN D241 • 25527 Study Abroad Eric Heidkamp/EN B129 • 26756 Teacher Certification DA 103 • 25906 Thefts University Police/GR • 25375 Tuition And Fees Business Office/WT • 26140 Tutorial Center Tom Ferrucci/EN A014 • 26814 Tyco Copy Center ASC 25549 University Access Services Aaron Washington/EN A 106 • 25885

University Police Joe Dooley/GR • 25375 Vending Machines, Food Brad Crerar/ASC • 25505 Verification Of Enrollment Registrar’s Office/WT • 25312 Veterans Services Jack Mordente/EN B018 • 26822 Waiver Examinations Joan Conte/WT • 25307 Weather Emergency Weather Chek (203) 392-5520 (203) 392-SNOW Wellness Office GR 47 • 26526 Withdrawal, Courses Registrar’s Office/WT Withdrawal, From University Monica Raffone/WT • 26194 Women’s Center Catherine Christy/SZ • 26946 Work-Study Program John Giordano/WT • 25222 WSIN Radio Station WSIN Office/ASC 253 • 26930 Writing Center Tom Ferrucci/EN A012 • 26824 DIRECTORY 109

INDEX A Absences From Class 11 Academic and Career Advising Center 84 Academic Adviser: See Selection of a Degree Program: Assignment to an Academic Adviser 22 Academic Advising 84 Academic Clubs 58 Academic Computer Center: See Office of Information Technology – Support Services (OIT-SS) 54 Academic Evaluation: See Grading System 17 Academic Groups and Organizations 58 Academic Honesty 98 Violations 98 Academic Probation 10 Academic Programs 10 Accessibility to Campus Sponsored Events 59 Adanti Student Center Food Court 81 Adaptive Technology: See Center for Adaptive Technology 86 Adding/Dropping Courses: See Registration Procedures: Add/Drops 20 Administration 3 Admissions: See Fresh Start Option 13 Admissions: See New England Regional Student Program 19 Admissions: See Applications for Readmission 11 Adviser’s Responsibilities 84 Alcohol and Drug Policies 39 Alcohol 39 Drugs 40 Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act — Parental Notification 39 110 INDEX

Legal Sanctions 41 Appeals Committee for Traffic and Parking 52 Appeals: See Grade Appeal Procedures 14 Application, Readmission 11 Application to a Department 22 Athletics 59 Attendance in Class 11 Audio Visual/Television/ Multi-Media Services 85 Auditing Courses: See Course Audit 12

B Bagel Wagon 88 Bicycles 42 Bill of Rights, Students 99 Block Placed Against Registration: See Debts, Fines and Obligations 21 Bookstore 85 Book Scan Machines 91 Bursar’s Office 30 Business Office: See Bursar’s Office 30 Bus Service 86 Bus Service (Shuttle) 49

C Campus Parking and Traffic Regulations 50 Enforcement 52 Traffic And Parking Appeals Committee 52 Traffic And Parking Regulations 50 Vehicle Registration 50 Campus Tutorial Center 84 Campus Writing Center 84 Car Registration. See Vehicle Registration 50 Career Advising 84 Career Development Programs 85 Career Fairs 85

Career Resource Computer Lab 85 Cooperative Education 85 Center for Adaptive Technology 86 Change of Address 11 Childcare Reimbursement Program 86 Class Cancellation Advisory 12 Class Designation 12 Class Government: See Councils and Governing Organizations: Class Governments 61 Closing of the University 53 Club Sports 60 Collection of Debt 86 Community Hour 87 Commuter Student Services 87 Computer Systems Use: See Student Use of Computer Systems 55 ConnCAS: See University Access Programs: ConnCAS 97 Connecticut Hall 87 Contracts for Services 61 Cooperative Education: See Career Services: Cooperative Education 85 Councils and Governing Organizations 60 Class Governments 61 Greek Life Council 61 Programs Council 60 Residence Hall Association 60 Student Government Association 60 Counseling Services 43 Course Audit 12 Courses at Other Institutions, Taking 22 Course Withdrawals 23 Debts, Fines, and Obligations 21 Credit Load: See Semester Credit Load 20 Criteria used for Consideration of a Fund-Raising Request 64 Crosswalks: See Traffic and Parking Regulations 50

D Dating Violence 25 Day Care Service: See Childcare Reimbursement Program 86 Dean’s List 12 Dean of Student Affairs 88 Debts, Fines, and Obligations 21 Degree Application 12 Degree Program: See Selection of a Degree Program 22 Degree Requirements 13 Dining Services 87 Disability Resource Center 88 Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Policy 24 Domestic Violence 25 Dropping a Course: See Add/Drops 20 Drug/Alcohol Education & Prevention Programs 40 Anti-Drinking and Driving 40 Drug & Alcohol Resource Center (DARC) 40 Individual Counseling and Referral 40 Self-Help Groups 41 Southern Task Force On Prevention (STOP) 40

E Educational Opportunity Program: See University Access Programs: EOP 96 Electronic Cigarettes 48 Emergency Medical Assistance 43 Escort Service: See Walking Escort Service 53 Events by Recognized Student Organizations 58 Events, General Policies 63

F F.E.R.P.A. (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) 39 Financial Aid 30 Private Scholarships 32 Veterans’ Benefits 32 Financial Aid Withdrawal Policy 33 Financial Aid Statement of Rights and Responsibilities 30


Financial Aid Statement of Rights and Responsibilities 30 Financial Obligations: See Bursar’s Office 30 Fines: See Debts, Fines and Obligations 21 Fire Evacuation Procedures 44 First Year Experience 13 Fitness Center 96 Food and Beverages 40 Food Services/Connecticut Hall 87 Fraternities and Sororities, Social 77 Fresh Start Option 13 Fundraising Activities 63 Criteria used for Consideration of a Fundraising Request 64 General Policies for Fundraising 64 Procedures 64 Funding of Undergraduate Student Organizations 73

G GEAR UP: See University Access Programs: GEAR UP 97 Good Samaritan Medical Amnesty Statement 38 Grade Changes: See Grade Appeal Procedures 14 Grade Point Average 18 Grading System 17 Greek Life Council 61 Grievances, Student 103

H Hazing Policy Statement 65 Health and Sanitation 49 Health and Wellness Center 44 Additional Requirement for On-Campus Residence Students 45 Health and Accident Insurance 46 Health Assistance Off Campus 46 Health Immunization Requirements 45 112 INDEX

Health Risks 41 Drinking and Driving 41 Sexuality 41 History of the University: See Introduction 6 Honor Societies 65 Honors 18 Honors College 13 Honors Thesis 18 Hoot Loot (Identification Card) 89 Housing: See Residence Life 94

I Identification Card (Hoot Loot) 89 Immunization: See Health Center: Health Immunization Requirements 45 Incomplete Courses 18 Independent Study 18 Indoor Safety 47 Information Requests 18 Information Technology Support Services 54 Inquiry 101 13 Insurance: See Health Center: Health and Accident Insurance 46 Sports and Recreation Clubs 60 Inter-Faith Office 89 International and Multicultural Groups 66 International Education 89 Internships 18 Intramural Sports 66 Irregular Schedule, Petition for: See Registration: Petition for Irregular Schedule 20

J Job Opportunities 85 John Lyman Center 92

L Lactation Room 90 Legal Sanctions 41 Letter of Welcome 4 Letter of Welcome, Interim Vice President for Student and University Affairs 5 Library 90 Circulation 90 Fines & Overdue Materials 90 Interlibrary Loan 90 Library Hours 90 Library Instruction 90 Periodicals 91 Photocopiers 91 Reference and Information Services 91 Reserve Materials 91 Lockers 91 Lost and Found 92 Lyman Center 92

M Mail 92 Majors Expo 85 Media Board 66 Media Groups 69 Medical/Emotional Problems: See Safety Procedures for Students with Severe Medical/Emotional Problems 47 Midterm Grades 19 Minimal GPA Standards: See Minimal Standards 19 Multi-Cultural Center 92 Multi-Cultural Groups 66

N New England Regional Student Program 19 New Student Organizations: See Recognition of New Student Organizations 70 News Media 101 New Student Orientation 92

Non-Discrimination Policy: See Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Policy 24 Non-Traditional Students 93 Notary Public 93

O Off-Campus Events: See Planning Off-Campus Events 62 On-Campus Events: See Reservation Procedures for On-Campus Events 61 Organizations: See Recognition of New Student Organizations 70

P Parental Notification: See Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act 39 Parental Notification Guidelines 46 Parking and Traffic Regulations 50 Parking Appeals Committee 52 Pass-Fail Option 20 Penalty for late and non-payment 32 Performing and Creative Arts Groups 69 Personal Information: See Information Requests 18 Petitions and Referendums, Student 76 Petition Procedures 76 Referendum Procedures 76 Pets on Campus 47 Planning of On-Campus or Off-Campus Events: See Events by Recognized Student Organizations 61 Contracts for Services 61 General Policies for Events 63 Planning Off-Campus Events 62 Reservation Procedures for On-Campus Facilities 61 Pluralism (Statement On) 25 INDEX 113

Police. See University Police 52 Political Action and Advocacy Groups 69 Posting Policy 70 Bulletin Boards and Showcases 70 General Purpose Kiosks 70 Residence Life 70 Table Tents 70 Private Scholarships 32 Probation, Academic 10 Proficiency Policy 19 Programs Council 60

Q Quality Points: See Grade Point Average 17

R Readmission to the University: See Application for Readmission 11 Recognition of New Student Organizations 70 Adviser’s Responsibilities 74 Funding of Undergraduate Student Organizations 73 Recognition Procedures 71 Responsibilities of Student Organizations 73 Rights and Privileges of Recognized Organizations 72 The Organization’s Responsibilities to the Adviser 75 Withdrawal of Recognition 73 Records: See Student Records 78 Records/Registrar’s Office 93 Recreational Facilities 93 Recreational/Social Clubs 76 Recycling 94 Registrar’s Office 93 Registration 20 Petition for Irregular Schedule 20 Pass-Fail Option 20 Semester Credit Load 20 114 INDEX

Registration Procedures 20 Add/Drops 20 Religious Organizations 76 Religious Services Policy 70 Replacement Grade Option 21 Reservation Procedures: See Planning of On-Campus or Off-Campus Events by Recognized Student Organizations 61 Reservation Procedures for On-Campus Facilities 61 Residence Hall Association 60 Residence Life 94 Residence Status 35 Responsiblities of Student Organizations 73 R.I.D.E.S. 94 Rights and Privileges of Recognized Organizations 72 Rollerblading 40 ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Candidate) 21

S Safety: See Indoor Safety 47 Safety Procedures for Students with Severe Medical/Emotional Problems 47 SAGE Center 94 Satisfactory Academic Progress to Maintain Financial Aid Eligibility 36 Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards 36 Scheduling Office for Non-Class Programs and Events 95 Scholarships, Alumni Association 95 Scholarships, Private 32 Search and Seizure Policy 47 Selection of a Degree Program 22 Self-Help Groups 41 Semester Credit Load 20 Service Contracts: See Events by Recognized Student Organizations: Contracts for Services 61 Service Organizations 77

Sexual Assault 25 Sexual Harassment Policy And Procedure: See Discrimination and Sexual Harassment Prevention Policy 24 Sexual Misconduct 25 Sexual Harassment 25 Sexual Assault 25 Sexual Exploitation 25 Dating Violence 25 Domestic Violence 25 Stalking 25 Reporting Procedures 26 Filing Criminal Charges 26 Filing Charges with the University 27 University Disciplinary Procedures Regarding Sexual Misconduct 27 Restraining Orders and Protective Orders 28 Assistance/Advocacy for Survivors/SART 28 Sexual Violenece Prevention and Awareness Education 29 Sexuality and Gender Equality (SAGE) Center 94 Shuttle Bus Service 49 Skateboarding 42 Smoking Policy 48 Software Ownership and Developments 55 Sororities and Fraternities 77 Southern Academy 97 Speakers and Topics102 Speech/Hearing Clinic 95 Sports: See Athletics 59 Stalking 25 Student Account Billing Policy 31 Student Bill of Rights 99 Academic Evaluation and Instruction 99 Amendments 99 Association 99 Classroom 100 Curriculum Revision and Evaluation 100 Discrimination 100 Governance 100 News Media 101

Privacy 100 Protest 100 Speakers and Topics 102 Student Records and Disclosure 102 Student Center 95 Student Center Food Court 87 Student Center Regulations 48 Student Dress 49 Student Government Association 60 Student Grievances 103 Student Information Requests 18 Student Membership on University Committees 96 Student Offenses 56 Student Organizations 60 Student Petitions and Referendums 76 Student Records 78 Definition of Student Records 78 Disclosure 102 General Policies 80 Types of Student Records Maintained 79 Student Software Ownership and Software Developments 55 Student-University Relations 98 Student Use of Computer Systems and Networks Policy Statement 55 Study Skills Enrichment 93 Sustainability 93

T Taking Courses at Other Institutions 22 Telephones/Public Phones/ Courtesy Phones 96 Title IV Withdrawal Policy 34 Traffic and Parking Regulations 50 Traffic and Parking Violations and Fines: See Enforcement 52 Transcripts 22 Transfer Courses: See Taking Courses at Other Institutions 22 Transfer Students 22 Tutorial Center 86 INDEX 115


Waiver Examinations 23 Walking Escort Service 53

Weather Related Closing of the University 53 Welcome from the Interim Vice President and Dean of Student Affairs 5 Welcome from the President 4 Wellness Center: See Health and Wellness Center: 44 Withdrawal of Recognition: See Recognition of New Student Organizations: Withdrawal of Recognition 73 Withdrawal Policy 33 Withdrawal from a Course: See Course Withdrawal 23 Withdrawal from the University: See Withdrawal Policy 23 Women’s Center 53 Writing Center: See Campus Writing Center 86“It’s a very


Admissions House


Moore Fieldhouse


Adanti Student Center


Morrill Hall


Brownell Hall


Neff Hall


Buley Library


North Campus Residence Complex


Chase Hall


Orlando Health Sciences House


Connecticut Hall


Old Student Center


Davis Hall


Pelz Gym


Earl Hall


Power Plant

University Access Programs 96 University Police 52 University Student Center Regulations Health and Sanitation 49 Use of Computer Systems and Networks 55

V Vaccinations: See Health and Wellness Center 44 Vehicle Registration 50 Veterans Benefits 32 Veterans Services 97 Voter Registration 97




Engleman Hall


School of Business


Farnham Hall


Schwartz Hall


Granoff Student Health Services


Temporary Buildings


Hickerson Hall


West Campus


Jennings Hall


Wilkinson Hall


Lang Social Work House


Wintergreen Building


Lyman Center


Student Handbook 2014-2015  
Student Handbook 2014-2015  

Southern Connecticut State University Student Handbook for 2014-2015.