Page 1

well, come 2 linz IN UPPER AUSTRIA


live, enjoy, understand.











am WĂśrthersee





St. PĂślten






Wien   Â?  













C o p y r i g h t b y KO M PA S S - Ka r t e n G m b H



Â? Â?  

well, come 2 linz in upper austria


live, enjoy, understand.

Imprint TM G i s U p p e r A u s t r ia’ s l o c at i o n  &  i n n o vat i o n ag e n c y. Pu b l i s h e r : OÖ. Technologie- und Marketinggesellschaf t m.b.H. ( T M G) E d i to r ia l S ta f f : T M G, Hafenstraße 47-51, 4 0 20 Linz P r o j e c t Co l l a b o r at i o n : Marketa Gruber ( B orealis), Ronald Mühleder (screenteam), Ulrike Reisenberger ( T M G) T r a n s l at i o n : U niversit y Linz La s t U p d at e : October 2010 I SBN 97 8 -3 -2 0 0 - 019 6 2-1 © t m g 2 010


We warmly welcome you to Upper Austria. To help you and your family settle in as quickly as possible, there are few administrative details to tend to. This booklet has been designed to provide information on subjects such as moving, finding an apartment, the school system and child care options as well as information on the social system and tax system. For more detailed information, please see our website which is also continually updated. We will continue to update the series with useful advice, tips and information as well as update contact addresses important during your move and settling in period.



I m m ig r at i o n , M o v i n g , R e lo c at i o n Fi n d i n g a H o m e  &  Li v i n g i n A u s t r ia The Tr ansition Period importing a vehicle s c h o o l s , e d u c a t i o n  & child care h e a l t h  &  s o c ia l s e r v i c e s S o c ia l S e c u r i t y , Fi n a n c e  &  t a x e s tr aveling abroad Sa f e t y , L o s t  &  F o u n d r e l igi o n i n au s t r ia good bye



r e lo c at i o n t h e v i s a - r e gi m e i n au s t r ia citizenship o w i n g a h o m e o r f l at p u r c h a s i n g a f l at – co n t r a c t p r i vat e r e n ta l f l at r e n ta l f l at f e e s p r ot e c t i o n agai n s t ag r e e m e n t t e r m i n at i o n h o u s i n g co o p e r at i v e s s t u d e n t f l at s l i v i n g - au t h o r i t i e s s u b v e n t i o n s  & f i n a n c ia l ai d r e s i d e n c e r e gi s t r at i o n f o r m s c h a n g e o f a d d r e s s l i v i n g &  f u r n i s h i n g w a s t e d i s p o s a l & w a s t e s e p e r at i o n h o u s e p e t s T h e A u s t r ia n Way o f Li f e ESTA BL I SH YO U R OWN B U S I NESS f i n d a j o b i n au s t r ia TR A NSFERR I N G A DR I VER ’ S L I CENSE C I T I ZEN C A RD, E - G OVERNMENT VOT I N G , R I G HT TO VOTE COST OF L I V I N G I MPORT I N G A P U CH A SED VEH I CLE TO A U STR I A – PR I VATE S A LE E U I MPORTS A U STR I A N TERMS OF COND I T I ONS & RE G U L AT I ONS STA ND A RD CONS U MT I ON TA X SYSTEM AT I C A PPRO A CH e d u c at i o n s y s t e m i n t e r n at i o n a l k i n d e r ga r t e n &  t h e l i s a s c h o o l g r a d e s h o l i d ay s  h ig h e r e d u c at i o n o p t i o n s n o s t r i f i c at i o n a c t i v i t i e s f o r c h i l d r e n c h i l d c a r e K I G A c r è c h e fa m i l i e s pa r e n t- c h i l d c e n t e r s a s s o c iat i o n s f o r c h i l d r e n & t e e n s m ot h e r s’ c e n t e r s c h i l d c a r s e at l a w s s w i m m i n g l e s s o n s h e a lt h c a r e s y s t e m co - i n s u r i n g t h e fa m i ly va cc i n at i o n s t u b e r c u lo s i s e x a m i n at i o n s co n ta c t & e m e r g e n c i e s h e a lt h i n s u r a n c e co v e r ag e a b r o a d a lt e r n at i v e t r e at m e n t s s e r v i c e s f o r m e n  &  w o m e n fa m i ly s i c k l e av e n u r s i n g c a r e a l lo w a n c e i n t h e e v e n t o f d e at h au s t r ia’ s s o c ia l s e c u r i t y s y s t e m ta x e s , s o c ia l b e n e f i t s &  n at i o n a l i n s u r a n c e O v e r v i e w o n k e y to p i c s r e ga r d i n g au s t r ia n l a b o r l a w Pa s s p o r t  & Vi s a c u r r e n c y & c h a n gi n g m o n e y h o w s a f e i s au s t r ia ? f e d e r a l p o l i c e f o r c e i n u p p e r au s t r ia lo s t &  f o u n d L e ga l ly R e co g n i z e d C h u r c h e s  & R e l igi o u s Co m m u n i t i e s R e gi s t e r e d Co n f e s s i o n a l co m m u n i t i e s G e n e r a l I n f o r m at i o n o n L e av i n g t h e C h u r c h i n A u s t r ia Co n ta c t I n f o r m at i o n f o r C h u r c h e s c h u r c h co n t r i b u t i o n s  & ta x

G e n e r a l I n f o r m at i o n m o v i n g to a n ot h e r co u n t r y


La n d o b e r ö s t e r r e i c h

willkommen in Oberösterreich! welcome to upper austria! well,come 2 linz in upper austria!

We would like to take this opportunity to warmly welcome you and provide you with detailed relocation information to help you settle quickly into life in Upper Austria and feel more at home! well,come 2 linz i n u p p e r a u s t r i a is a three volume relocation guide in English created especially for you! The series not only provides information on everything you need to know about relocating to Upper Austria, but has also been designed to help organize the details of daily life. Relocating to a new city can be an adventure as well as a continual process of discovery. The volumes »I live«, »I enjoy« and »I understand« provide concrete information ranging from initial administrative procedures to numerous inside tips on recreational activities as well as information on annual traditional and cultural events in Upper Austria! Take advantage of this comprehensive guide and get off to a good start in Upper Austria! Yours truly,


Vi k t o r S i g l, M e m b e r o f t h e Pro v i n c i a l G o v e r n m e n t, E c o n o m i c A f f a i rs

S ta dt l i n z

Willkommen in Linz! Welcome to Linz! Linz is a progressive and modern city with undeniable energy and culture. As the second largest economic area in Austria, Linz has 205,000 places of employment its 190,000 inhabitants. The export industry is booming, driving the growth in the number of technology and service companies and as a result, international relations are more important than ever before. Linz is not only internationally active in the economic sector, but also culturally as Linz was the European Capital of Culture in 2009. The construction of the Lentos Museum of Contemporary Art and the Ars Electronica Center also provide internationally recognized platforms supporting the arts and culture. Linz is mid-size city that offers its residents a special quality and standard of living. More than half of the city is open space featuring forest areas along the Danube and the Traun rivers, over 50 city parks and 100 playgrounds. The city’s historical city center continues to enchant and fascinate tourists of all ages. The LandstraĂ&#x;e in Linz is a pedestrian shopping and entertainment zone and after Vienna, Linz boasts the largest and most frequented shopping street in Austria. Linz is a modern, dynamic and vibrant city. I sincerely welcome you to take part in life in Linz. It will be an enriching experience for you and very special for us. I wish you a wonderful and pleasant stay in Linz.

S u s a n n e W e g s c h e i d e r, C o u n c i l w o m a n f o r E c o n o m i c A f f a i rs, C i t y o f Li n z 7

01 02



04 05







0 1 B re a k t i m e b e t w e e n c l a s s e s, J o h a n n e s Ke p l e r U n i v e rs i t y Li n z (J KU ) 0 2 M a n i n h a t s m o k i n g a p i p e ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 0 3 S a lz k a m m e rg u t re g i o n ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 0 4 F l o ra l s c e n e r y i n A l t a u s s e e ( O Ö. To u r i s m u s) 0 5 Tra d i t i o n a l s h o e m a k e r ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 0 6 F e e d i n g t e d d y b e a r s o u p ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s/ E r b e r) 0 7 H e a d i n g t o c l a s s, J o h a n n e s Ke p l e r U n i v e rs i t y Li n z (J KU ) 0 8 A t t h e Vo e s t A l p i n e A G ( M a g i s t ra t Li nz) 0 9 H a r b o r n e a r G m u n d e n, La k e Tra u n s e e ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 10 C h r i s t m a s d e c o ra t i o n s ( M a g i s t ra t Li nz) 11 C a t h e d ra l o f t h e I m m a c u l a t e C o n c e p t i o n i n Li n z ( M a g i s t ra t Li n z)






I m m ig r a t i o n , M o v i n g , R e lo c at i o n


r e lo c at i o n


t h e v i s a - r e gi m e i n au s t r ia




Regardless of whether you have come to Upper Austria to start a new career, visit friends or enjoy your holidays this book will provide some important information on living and working in Austria. This chapter provides information in regards to your stay as well as application procedures to obtain a residence permit (for stays longer than 6 months), as well as information on visas (for stays shorter than 6 months).


R e l o c at i o n Before initiating the immigration process, contact the Austrian embassy or consulate in your home country and learn more about the procedures, application processing times as well as the notarization of required documents and forms.

Notarizing Required Documents Certain regulations in regards to notarization apply to documents issued outside of the issuing country. In an international context, legal regulations refer to the act of notarization as »legalization« (diplomatic notarization). Legalizations are only required between two countries that have no official agreement (bilateral/ multilateral agreement) on legal issues regarding the mutual acceptance of documents. The process of »legalization« serves to confirm the authenticity of a document (a signature and official stamp verify authenticity). Legalization is required for foreign documents and is to be verified by authorized consulates (responsible ambassador) of the country in which the document is required. N o t e : A certificate of acknowledgment will be placed on the original document or, if due to lack of space, on a separate sheet and attached to the original document. The document will also bear an official seal to prevent any kind of tampering or document forgery. 14

r e lo c at i o n

In regards to foreign documents, an interim confirmation by the respective foreign ministry in the applicant’s home country is required before legalization by the responsible foreign consulate in Austria or by official Austrian authorities abroad. In regards to interim confirmation, the document must be verified as valid, original and authentic by the authorities of the issuing agency – or by legal or notarized documents – by the president of the responsible regional court. In addition to the interim confirmation to submit an Austrian document abroad, supplementary certification is required. Supplementary certification confirms the authenticity of already confirmed documents by the Federal Ministry of European and International Affairs. Subsequently, the Austrian documents can then be legalized by the authorities in the respective country for use in Austria. N o t e : no country can influence or coerce a legal, domestic channel, and the foreign ministry’s most recently issued confirmation in the applicant’s home country is always required. Countries that have signed the Hague Documentation Agreement require an apostille instead of legalization. The apostille also serves to verify a document’s authenticity but is, however, issued by certain authorities in the country where the original document was issued and requires no further verification. For other countries who have valid bilateral agreements with Austria, no apostille or legalization is required. However, a legal translation by an official translator must accompany the document(s) and will require confirmation of authenticity by means of an apostille. 15

r e lo c at i o n

Consulates in Upper Austria Honorary Consulate of Belgium Tizianstraße 12a, 4060, Leonding/Linz +43 (0)732/671672 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)664/3442731 Honorary Consulate of Bolivia Niederbairingerstraße 36, 4203, Altenberg bei Linz +43 (0)7230/8777 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)664/3813735 Honorary Consulate of Brazil Hessenplatz 19, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/776543 - 24 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)732/776543-24 Honorary Consulate of Chile Kaplanhofstraße 3, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/653332 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)664/2102088 Honorary Consulate of Denmark Roseggerstraße 59 a, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/651414 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)664/2004889 Honorary Consulate of Germany c/o Oberbank, Hauptplatz 11, 4010 Linz +43 (0)732/797701 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : + 43 (0)1/71154-0 Honorary Consulate of Finland Wienerstraße 151, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/34006655 Honorary Consulate of France Pillweinstraße 30, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/778477-11 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)1/502750 16

r e lo c at i o n

Honorary Consulate of Italy Hessenplatz 19, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/776543-25 Honorary Consulate of Kenya Harrachstraße 6/3, Atrium City Center, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/657070 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)676/6570700 Honorary Consulate of the Republic of Korea Ottensheimerstraße 30a, 4040 Linz/Urfahr +43 (0)50/6202040 Honorary Consulate of Latvia Bethlehemstraße 3, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/673929-19 Honorary Consulate of Lithuania Roseggerstraße 58, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/7843310 Honorary Consulate of the Republic of Malta Novaragasse 4, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/600241-10 Honorary Consulate of the Netherlands Kapuzinerstraße 84e, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/784006 Honorary Consulate of Portugal Hopfenweg 23, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/667326 Honorary Consulate of Romania Poschacherstraße 35, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/66233 Honorary Consulate of South Africa Domgasse 12, 4010 Linz +43 (0)732/783685 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)732/700337 17

r e lo c at i o n

Honorary Consulate of Sweden Altstadt 17, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/777575 Honorary Consulate of Switzerland Eisenhandstraße 15, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/783741 Honorary Consulate of Slovakia Museumstraße 31a, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/600070-0 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)676/3600070 Honorary Consulate of Slovenia Südtirolerstraße 4-6, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/770815-0 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)732/770815-0 Honorary Consulate of Spain Hasnerstraße 2/9b (pA Integral Insurance Broker GmbH), 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/2595 Honorary Consulate of Turkey Hofgasse 7, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/777744 E m e r g e n c y h o t l i n e f o r c i t i z e n s : +43 (0)732/777744 Honorary Consulate of the Czech Republic Europaplatz 1a, 4021 Linz +43 (0)732/6596-0 Honorary Consulate of Tunesia Hauptstraße 33, 4040 Linz +43 (0)732/717733-33 Honorary Consulate of Hungary Goethestraße 7 c/o PricewaterhouseCoopers, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/61175030


r e lo c at i o n

Information on Legal Residence in Austria Please see: w w w . h e l p . g v . a t Leben in Österreich online to review Austrian rules and regulations regarding legal residence and legal employment in Austria.


If you have questions, please contact: i n f o @ h e l p . g v . a t W e l c o m e t o U p p e r A u s t r ia To assist in your move to Upper Austria, the Department of Immigration Services at the Civic Center building in the capital of Linz and the District Administrative Authority office provide the following services: The issuance of residence permits for non-EU and EEA citizens in accordance with Austrian Alien Law Receipt of applications, obtaining reports and statements (Chamber of Commerce, AMS Public Employment Service Austria), evaluating and processing submitted information, examining requests in matters of residence in Austria Issuance of residence permit cards and emergency vignettes Official issuance of approved or rejected requests in written form Answer questions, provide information and advice Department: Fremdenrecht Hauptstraße 1-5, Entrance on Fiedlerstraße, 4041 Linz Office Hours: Monday–Friday 08:00–12:30, Thursday 14:00–17:00 +43 (0)732/7070

Contact to the District Administrative Authorities of Upper Austria (»Bezirkshauptmannschaften in OÖ«) w w nd - o b er o e s t er r eich.g v. a t Bezirkshauptmannschaften



r e lo c at i o n

General Information for ThirdCountry Nationals, EU & EEA Citizens Third-country nationals, meaning non-EU or non-EEA citizens, residing in Austrian longer than six months must apply for a residence permit. If you plan to stay in Austria for less than six months and are subject to visa requirements, you must apply for and obtain a visa before travelling to Austria. For more information, see the chapter VISA (page 35). Citizens of EU or EEA countries, or Switzerland, to do not require a residence permit. EU, EEA or Swiss nationals must, however, submit a registration form (»Anmeldebescheinigung«) to the responsible authorities no later than four months after moving to Austria. If family members are also moving to Austria and are insured with the main applicant, it is recommended to submit the registration form immediately as you will need a copy to co-insure family members in Upper Austria. P l e a s e n o t e : Citizens from newly admitted EU/EEA member countries (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Slovenia, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Lithuania) must adhere to the limitations in regards to entering the Austrian labor market. For a stay of six months or less, laws and regulations under the Aliens’ Police Act apply. For a stay of six months or longer, laws and regulations under the Settlement and Residence Act apply. For more information on all legal regulations and laws, please see: w w w . c o m e 2 u p p e r a u s t r i a . c o m I m p o r t a n t ! Please submit your application to apply for legal residence to the Magistrate Office of the City of Linz, »Einwohner- und Standesamt«, Department: »Fremdenrecht« or at the responsible District Administrative Authority office. 20

r e lo c at i o n

For residents living outside of the city of Linz, please submit your applications to your local District Administrative Authority. w w nd - o b er o e s t er r eich.g v. a t Bezirkshauptmannschaften


T h e r e a r e s e v e r a l c at e g o r i e s o f residence permits Settlement Permit (fixed term) (»Niederlassungsbewilligung«) Settlement Permit for Family Members (fixed term) (»Niederlassungsbewilligung von Familienangehörigen«) Permanent Residence Permit – European Community (permanent residence) Permanent Residence Permit for Family Members (permanent residence) Residence Permit (temporary, fixed-term permit) Permits are issued for certain purposes (i.e. gainful employment). Alien residents can change the permit’s status whilst in Austria provided the requirements for a new residence permit application have been met and provided the legal quota is not full. N o t e : Residence permits will be issued in card form (credit card format). P l e a s e n o t e : Applicants may not submit simultaneous applications for one or more categories of a residence permit. P e r i o d o f Va l i d i t y Fixed-term residence permits are generally issued for a period of 12 months.


r e lo c at i o n

The following exceptions apply: Key employee and/or family members of key employees will receive a fixed-term residence title for an 18 month period. If the employee’s contract is valid for a certain period, the date of the permit’s expiration will correspond to the end date of the contract. Family members (immediate family) can receive a residence title for a 24-month period after the third issuance of a residence permit. If the residence title is issued for a shorter period of time, the residence title will only be issued for the length of time specified in the application. If the applicants’ travel passport is set to expire within a one year period at the time of application, the residence permit will only be issued in accordance with passport’s expiration date. If the residence title is issued »Permanent Residence – EG« or »Permanent Residence-Family Member«, the length of stay is permanent and a residence card will be issued for a five year period. If the applicant is a third-country national and the period of validity for a residence title is less than a year, the residence title for immediate family members will be limited to shorter period of time. The resident title’s period of validity begins on the date of issuance. If an application for extension has been submitted on time and a residence title has been issued, applicants may continue to stay in Austria legally.


r e lo c at i o n

General Laws & Regulations Regarding the Issuance of a Residence Title G ua r a n t e e d M e a n s o f Li v e l i h o o d Austrian authorities may only issue a residence title if the applicant can prove he/she can support him/herself in Austria resulting in no financial burden to government agencies (community offices, federal government, states). Salaries should be sufficient in amount to compare to supplementary standard rates. S u p p l e m e n t a r y s t a n d a r d r a t e s f o r 2 0 10 : for single individuals: € 783.99 for married couples: € 1,175.45 for each child: an additional € 82.16 H e a lt h I n s u r a n c e All legal residents in Austria must have access to a health insurance policy that covers »all risks« and is accepted in Austria. Residents may select their own health insurance coverage. Acco m m o dat i o n s At the time of application, applicants applying for a residence permit must have local accommodations in Austria (i.e. rental agreement) appropriate in size for the number of family members and dependents. N o t e : free accommodations revocable at any time do not fulfil the requirement as the applicant has no entitlement to the permission of the residence. This form of accommodation can be revoked at any time without any period of notice.


r e lo c at i o n

N o E n d a n g e r m e n t o f Pu b l i c O r d e r o r Sa f e t y The applicant must… …not have an outstanding residence ban in compliance with §60 of the Aliens’ Police Act (i.e. a legal criminal conviction for certain criminal acts) or ban on returning in compliance with §62 of the Aliens’ Police Act, or a residence ban in another EEA country, …no eviction or extradition in the last twelve months in compliance with § 54 of the Aliens’ Police Act and in compliance with § 10 of the laws on Political Asylum and …no legal criminal conviction within the last twelve months for illegal border crossing and/or illegal entry into a federal Austrian state. Also, resident aliens may not exceed their stay (dates issued on the permit) without a visa. A stay in Austria may also not result or be in conflict with public interests or affect relations between Austria and other countries. Important: These documents must carried at all times and presented upon demand.


r e lo c at i o n

Issuance of a Residence Title – First Application A pply i n g fr o m A b r oa d In general, third-country nationals age 14+ are required to submit an application in person for the first-time issuance of a residence title. Emancipated minors who are third-country nationals must submit the application in person and be accompanied by legal representation. In principle, applications must first be submitted abroad to an Austrian agency (embassy or consulate) before entering Austria. The jurisdiction of the representative authority is the Austrian consulate or embassy in the applicant’s home country. The Austrian agency abroad will forward the application to authorities in Austria in order to evaluate and examine if all requirements for a residence permit have been met. Once approved, the applicant will be notified by the Austrian representative agency in his/her home country and a visa will be issued. N o t e : third-country nationals who may initially enter Austria legally without a visa may submit an official application for a residence permit from within Austria. Submitting an application does not permit the applicant stay longer than the dates allow, even if the procedure is not completed before the visa expires. To view of list of third-country nationals who may enter Austria without a visa, please see: w w w.bmi.g v. a t /cms / B M I _ F r emdenp o lizei / v is ums p f lich ten/star t.aspx


r e lo c at i o n

A p p l y i n g i n A u s t r ia The following groups of persons may submit a firsttime application from within Austria: family members (immediate family) of Austrian citizens, EU/EEA citizens, and Swiss citizens living permanently in Austria and who do not fall under the laws of free mobility (EU) – (after legal entry and during their period of legal residence) Resident aliens who were previously Austrian citizens and/or EEA citizens (i.e. by change of nationality) Infants within the first six months of birth in Austria when one parent or legal guardian of the child resides legally in Austria or has Austrian citizenship. Aliens authorized to apply during a legal stay and without an entry visa Aliens who apply for a residence permit as a researcher, and their immediate family members N o t e : the term »immediate family members« refers to a spouse and unmarried minors (including adopted or stepchildren). In certain cases, if proved beyond a reasonable doubt that leaving the country is impossible or cannot be reasonably expected and there is no issuance impediment, the authorities will accept an application from within Austria: the unaccompanied minor ensuring the child’s well-being or to maintain the family’s personal and family life z was v e t o Li n » Ou r m o ence. i r e p x e e a positiv ted.« r o p l a rg e ly p ell su ada W e f e lt w m i c , Ca n re Du s a n J e


r e lo c at i o n

Extending a Residence Title I s s ua n c e o f a R e s i d e n c e Ti t l e – A p p l i c at i o n o f E x t e n s i o n In general, applications of extension can be submitted in person by persons age 14+ at the responsible Austrian authority within Austria. In order to extend a residence title, the applicant must also fulfil additional general requirements pertaining to the issuance of a residence title: comply with the requirements of the Integration Agreement (see chapter »General Section«) and fulfil at least one module of the Integration Agreement and have been in Austria legally with a valid residence permit The Federal Ministry of Interior Affairs has posted information regarding the Integration Agreement in various languages: w w w.bmi.g v. a t /cms / B M I _ N ie der la s s ung /a llg _ in f o s _ neu / Integrationsvereinbarung.pdf.

For more information, please see: Österreichischer Integrationsfonds w w w . i n t e g r a t i o n s f o n d s . a t I m p o r t a n t ! Applicants must submit an application of extension no later than three months before the applicant’s current residence title expires. Failure to do so will result in the application being handled as a first-time application. P l e a s e n o t e : Applications submitted after expiration of the residence title will only be considered as an application of extension if the applicant can prove that submitting the application for extension on time was prevented by inevitable or unforeseen circumstances, by default, or a certain degree of oversight an additional application is submitted within two weeks of the hindering event. 27

r e lo c at i o n

Residence Permit Residence permits (»Aufenthaltsbewilligung«) are residence titles for third-country nationals temporarily living in Austria who have no intention to reside in Austria permanently. This applies to: rotating personnel

school-age students

company representatives

university students

freelance/self-employed persons

social service workers



special cases for dependent employment (i.e. au-pair, ministry work, academic personnel)

the immediate family members of the main applicant with a residence permit

R e q u i r e d D o c u m e n t s ( i n b o t h t h e o r i g i n a l  &  i n c o p y ) Valid travel document (i.e. official travel passport) N o t e : when applying for a permit for the first time, infants under the age of six months do not need a valid travel document Birth certificate or appropriate related document (see chapter on Notarizations) recent photo (size: 35 x 45 mm to 40 x 50 mm) may also include: marriage certificate, divorce resolution or decree including legal stamp, adoption certificates, proof and/ or documentation on family relationships (see chapter on Notarization) Proof of legitimate claim to accommodations, such as a rental agreement, prospective tentative agreement or proof of ownership Proof of health insurance coverage (mandatory insurance or an appropriate insurance policy) covering all risks 28

r e lo c at i o n

Proof of secure means of support (recent pay slip, confirmation of pay, contract of employment, confirmation regarding pension, capital investment or personal assets in ample amount Extract from police records noting any criminal activity There is no quota to issue resident permits. In general, first-time applications for the issuance of a residence permit must be submitted to an Austrian consulate or embassy in the applicant’s home country before entering Austria. A p p l i c a t i o n s o f e x t e n s i o n can be submitted at the responsible administrative offices or district administrative offices in Austria. N o t e : If desired, applicants can change the »purpose of stay« when submitting an application of extension. Residence permits are generally extended for the period of one year. The costs are the same as those that apply for a first-time application. Required Documents for an Extension ( i n t h e o r i g i n a l  &  i n c o p y ) valid travel document (i.e. passport) recent photo (size: 35 x 45 mm to 40 x 50 mm) Proof of a legitimate claim to accommodations, such as a rental agreement, prospective tentative agreement, or proof of ownership Proof of health insurance coverage (mandatory insurance or an appropriate insurance policy) covering all risks Proof of secure means of livelihood (recent pay slip, confirmation of pay, contract of employment, confirmation regarding pension or other benefits, insurance payments, proof of capital investment or personal assets in ample amount) KSV Confirmation (credit card protection), available: Mozartstraße 11, 4015 Linz w w w.k s v. a t


r e lo c at i o n

Permanent Residence Permit Under certain circumstances, residence permit holders can apply to switch and obtain a permanent residence permit. To extend an already issued permanent residence permit, general requirements in fulfilment of the issuance of a residence title must be met. A d d i t i o n a l l y : the applicant must have had residence in Austria for at least a year and fulfilled the requirements of the Integration Agreement or an individual module (such as attending a German language course or integration course). Permanent Resident Permits: Key Personnel Family members, excluding employment Family members (core family members) Permanent Residence-EG Permanent Residence for Family Members Permanent Residence Permit for Key Personnel »Niederlassungsbewilligung Schlüsselkraft« A »Permanent Residence Permit – Key Personnel« applies to independent and dependent key personnel. So-called »key personnel« must be highly skilled, possess special knowledge, or special professional qualifications in demand in the Austrian labor market. In addition, the applicant must earn at least € 2,304 monthly, plus special payments (as of 2007). Furthermore, additional requirements (allotments) apply. The residence title »permanent residence permit-key personnel« will be issued at first for a period of 18 months. If, during this period, the applicant has been employed as key personnel for a total of 12 months, a »permanent residence permit-permanent« will be issued and the applicant will have unlimited access to employment in the Austrian labor market. 30

Persons holding a »permanent residence permit-key personnel« are not required to comply with the Integration Agreement.

r e lo c at i o n

Permanent Residence Permit, excluding employment: »Niederlassungsbewilligung ausgenommen Erwerbstätigkeit« Persons with a permanent residence permit which expressly exclude employment may not accept any employment in Austria. In addition to fulfilling general requirements, the title will only be issued if the quota is not full. Permanent Residence Permit – limited: »Niederlassungsbewilligung – beschränkt« If all general requirements are fulfilled and the quota is not full, spouses and children of minor age accompanying a third-country national living and working in Austria will be issued the status »permanent residence permit – limited«. »Permanent residence permit – limited« status allows for self-employed employment only in connection with authorization in accordance with the laws regarding the employment of aliens. At the earliest, spouses and children of minor age can apply for a »permanent residence permit« after 12 months of legal residence in Austria. Permanent Residence Permit – Indefinite: »Niederlassungsbewilligung – unbeschränkt« A »permanent residence permit – indefinite« is the right of indefinite residence and is issued for the period of one year. This allows employment without an additional authorization in compliance with the laws governing the employment of aliens. Spouses and minor-age children have a right to a permanent residence permit after having resided legally in Austria for at least 12 months and main applicant has either a residence title, »permanent residence-EG«, proof of settlement or a »permanent residence permit – permanent« or is a recognized refugee. Key personnel can apply for a permanent residence permit after an 18 month period. Permanent Residence Permit – Family Members: »Niederlassungsbewilligung – Angehörige« For more information on »permanent residence permits – family members«, see »family relationships – Austrian Citizens« and »family relationships – EEA Citizens«.


r e lo c at i o n

Fa m i l y I m m ig r a t i o n If the main applicant and his/her immediate family members are thirdcountry nationals, spouses and minor age children of the main thirdcountry national applicant will be issued a »permanent residence permitlimited« under the condition that in compliance with the quota system, spots are still available and general requirements have been fulfilled: Proof of local accommodation in Austria Proof of sufficient means of financial support (in compliance with laws and regulations) Proof of health insurance covering all risks No legal obstacles impeding issuance Employment is only permitted after acquiring a work permit. Fa m i l i e s o f A u s t r ia n Ci t i z e n s Spouses and minor age children of Austrian citizens are entitled to the residence title »family member« (quota free), provided all general requirements are met. After five years of residence, these persons may apply for a »permanent visa – family member«. Family members of Austrian citizens must submit an initial application to the Austrian embassy or consulate in the current country of residence. If family members currently reside legally in Austria, the application can be submitted from within Austria. If legal residence has expired, the residence permit must be issued from abroad. A quota free »permanent residence permit – dependent«, excluding a work permit, applies to the following persons (after successfully meeting all general requirements and after submitting a declaration of liability): Family members, including the main applicant’s spouse, in ascending order, provided the family is being financially supported


Common law spouses, provided a permanent relationship in the country of origin and former residence can be proven and financial support provided

r e lo c at i o n

Additional family members, providing the main applicant can provide financial support in the country of origin; the main family member must care for the family member due to grave illness. Family members holding a »permanent residence permit – family member« seeking an extension can be issued a »permanent residence permit-fixed term« if he/she has authorization for employment in compliance with the labor laws for alien residents and a spot available within the allotted quota. After five years of legal residence, family members can apply for a residence title »permanent residence permit-EG«. In general, family members and relatives of Austrian citizens must comply with the Integration Agreement. Fa m i l i e s o f EE A Ci t i z e n s EEA (European Economic Area) citizens are entitled to residence in Austria if they are self-employed, employed, or have sufficient means of support as well as valid health insurance. After four months of residence in Austria, these persons require a »registration certificate« (»Anmeldebescheinigung«). For EEA citizens who moved to Austria before January 1st 2006, current registration at one’s main residence in compliance with laws of registration counts as a valid as a »registration certificate«. The following family members of EE A citizens, who are not EE A citizens themselves, also have the right to legal residence: Spouses Relatives of a spouse in descending order to age 21 and above, provided they have source of income and/or financial support Relatives of the main applicant in descending order, providing their financial support can be maintained 33

r e lo c at i o n

After expiration of the three month period from the time of residence in Austria, the above mentioned will then require a »permanent residence card«. Subsequent non-EEA dependents can be issued a »residence permitdependent« after fulfilling general requirements and after the main applicant submits a declaration of liability: Life partners, provided the existence of a permanent relationship in the country of origin can be proven and financial support can be maintained additional dependents living in the main applicant’s household in the country of origin gravely ill dependents requiring personal care by the main applicant. These persons are subject to the terms and conditions of the Integration Agreement. P e r m a n e n t R e s i d e n c e – Eu r o p e a n Co m m u n i t y (formerly »settlement status«) The residence title »permanent residence visa-EG« is a follow-up regulation to the former »settlement status« and applies to third-country dependents provided they live continuously in Austria for a period of five years and have complied with the terms and conditions of the Integration Agreement. P l e a s e n o t e : The five year period is considered disrupted if a third-country dependent has been outside of Austria a total of longer than ten-months or continuously, longer than six months In this case, the period will begin anew starting with the date of the last legal entry in to Austria.


r e lo c at i o n

The laws governing settlement and residence and the »settlement status« were dissolved and subsequently replaced by the residence title »permanent residence-EG«. This residence permit entitles the holder to a fixed-term or indefinite stay in Austria as well as legal residence in other EU countries. In regards to stipulations under the Aliens Act pertaining to employment, holders of a »permanent residence visa-EG« require no additional authorization in regards to self-employment. The residence title will be issued for a period of five years – despite the validity dates stated on the card, the residence title and right of residence is indefinite. The residence title »permanent residence visa-EG« can be issued to persons with continuous residence in Austria for a period of five years, who fulfil general requirements as well as comply in full with the Integration Agreement (provided the applicant is obligated to comply). R e q ui r e m e n t s In addition to general requirements regarding the issuance of a residence title, the following additional requirements also apply: Third-party nationals must have been entitled to legal residence for five years and have complied with the Integration Agreement. D e a d l i n e s : Applicants are asked to submit an application for the »permanent residence visa-EG« while their current residence title is still valid – no later than three months before expiration. 35

t h e v i s a - r e gi m e i n au s t r ia visa free Entry for EEA Citizens In general, EEA citizens are exempt from visa regulations and permitted to reside in Austria. However, all EEA citizens must register with the local police.

Entering Austria With a Visa Aliens require a visa to enter Austria legally. Austria has mutual agreements with a number of countries in regards to visa waivers. Countries in the Austrian Visa Waiver Program w w w.bmi.g v. a t /cms / B M I _ F r emdenp o lizei visumspflichtige L채nder

Vi s a Ca t e g o r i e s A Visa: Air Transit Visa

C Visa: Travel Visa

B Visa: Transit Visa

D Visa: Residence Visa

All visas can only be issued by an Austrian consulate or embassy abroad or, only in exceptional cases, at the Austrian border but never at an office located within Austria (the A visa for air transit can only be issued abroad at an Austrian consulate or embassy). Visas cannot be issued or extended within Austria. Visas entitle the visa holder to stay in Austria for a limited period:


0 1 . A t r a v e l v i s a ( C V i s a ) entitles the holder to a maximum stay of 3 months and does not allow the holder to work legally in Austria. A C Visa can also be a Business Visa and can be issued for a period of 12 months (multiple entry). However, the length of stay in a Schengen country is a maxium of 90 days!

t h e v i s a - r e gi m e i n au s t r ia

0 2 . V i s a D entitles the holder to a stay of 91 days to six months. The visa does not fall under regulations for a residence title and is issued primarily for the holder to attend courses. The visa is issued just once to bridge the gap before a residence title is issued. However, at the time of issuance the holder must be approved to receive a residence title (with only time as an obstacle). A national D Visa issued by Austria or another Schengen country, together with a valid travel documents, entitles the holder to travel freely up to three months in a six month period in sovereign territories of other Schengen member countries as long as the above entry requirements under Art. 5, Sec. 1a, c and e of Ordinance No. 562/2006 (ratified on March 15th 2006 by the European Parliament and Council on the community codex for crossing the border by person (Schengen Border Codex) are fulfilled and the person is not on a national list maintained by one of the member countries. In general, the D Visa can only be issued by an Austrian consulate or embassy abroad. If the Republic of Austria is represented in a country by another Schengen country, only the embassy or consulate can issue the Schengen visa. If a D Visa is required, you must contact the responsible Austrian embassy or consulate in a neighboring country. For more information, please contact: Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs Minoritenplatz 8, 1014 Vienna +43 (0)50/11503900 w w w.bmeia .g v. a t

The Federal Police Central Bureau Linz, Aliens’ Police NietzschestraĂ&#x;e 33, 4020 Linz +43 ( 0)732/78035136 bp dl.f r emdenp o lizei @ p o lizei.g v. a t


t h e v i s a - r e gi m e i n au s t r ia

Electronic Affidavit of Support For visitors requiring a visa and who do not have sufficient/verifiable funds to contest the planned the stay in Austria, a visa can still be issued by the submission of an affidavit of support submitted by an individual, company or association (sponsor/host) with permanent residence in the relevant Austrian federal state. The sponsor must agree to pay for and sponsor the applicant’s visit. The private sponsor, company or association can send an appointed, authorized representative or an externally authorized representative, to the Alien’s Office at the Federal Police Station (Federal Police Central Bureau, District Administrative Authority) located in his/her area of primary residence (or the company’s registered primary location) to submit the affidavit or support (no fees apply). The sponsor then declares him/herself – as before – willing to pay and cover all costs associated with the application of the applicant’s visa, even if this extends beyond the dates of the original invitation. All statements regarding good financial standing must be submitted to the Aliens’ Police Authority. Private sponsors must provide the following documentation: Proof of identification; registration certification, proof of sufficient income, rental agreement or similar documentation; also proof of existing child custody obligations, credit or other similar documents as well as a statement on the relationship of the sponsor to the visa applicant. In regards to company business visits, the following documents must be submitted: Representative’s photo identification, excerpt from the commercial register/trade license, proof of the company’s good standing (such as an annual company report), revenue/expense statements and/ 38

t h e v i s a - r e gi m e i n au s t r ia

or an excerpt by the credit bureau), possibly a letter of attorney (on company letterhead, and must include a company stamp and signature by the authorized body of the company). For invitations extended by a club or association, the following documentation must be provided: Representative’s photo identification, excerpt from the Register of Associations, ordinance, proof of the association’s activities and proof of the association or club’s good standing (this includes a balance sheet, official attestation by a tax consultant), possibly a letter of attorney (containing the signatures by the authorized bodies of the association). P l e a s e s u b m i t t h e v i s a a p p l i c a n t ’ s p a s s p o r t n u m b e r. After submitting the electronic affidavit of support, the sponsor will receive an ID number to pass on to the visa applicant. The visa applicant has 48 hours after submission of the affidavit of support to submit his/ her application to the Austrian consulate or embassy abroad and provide the ID number to authorities there so they may call up the affidavit. For visa applications submitted to Schengen embassies representing Austria this procedure is unfortunately not an option. It is recommended to contact the responsible Austrian authority to inquire about submitting an electronic affidavit of support. Please note: Before submitting an electronic affidavit of support, the sponsor will given a fact sheet and asked to read through it carefully and adhere to all instructions. 39

d l y  & re frien orities a h ures t d e au c e o h pr »T t r at i v e me.« i t adminis n p l e t e d o h a , I n d ia are com ht Bhawna

Ku l s h r e


Ci t i z e n s h i p Naturalization as an Austrian citizen G e n e r a l R e q ui r e m e n t s f o r Na t u r a l i z a t i o n Ten years of legal, continuous residence in Austria, five years holding a permanent residence permit History of Good Behavior No criminal record or convictions No pending criminal proceedings (either in Austria or abroad) No grave administrative offenses with a certain degree of unlawfulness Ample, regular financial income to support yourself Proof of secure and regular earnings from income, legal claim to alimony or insurance benefits for the past three years at the time of decision.


Knowledge of the German language and base knowledge of democratic systems, Austrian history and the history of each Austrian province Proof by written examination, providing no exception to the rule applies (such as German as mother tongue, being underage, attending school with a positive grade in the subject of »German«)


Allegiance to the Republic of Austria and guarantee of no danger of disturbing the peace, system and safety of the country. No current ban of residence (in Austria or any other EEA country) and no pending legal proceedings pertaining to ending residency No banishment or eviction with the past twelve months of application No close ties to extremist or terrorist groups Renunciation of former citizenship The naturalization of the applicant as an Austrian citizen may not adversely affect Austria’s international relations or mar Austria’s interests in any way Additional requirements for naturalization depend on whether citizenship is being awarded due to legal entitlement or if it is at the discretion of Austrian authorities. For more information, please contact the corresponding government office in Upper Austria responsible for the acceptance and processing of naturalization applications. Amt der oberösterreichischen Landesregierung Bahnhofplatz 1, 4020 Linz (Building C, 4th floor) +43 (0)732/7720 w w nd - o b er o e s t er r eich.g v. a t w w v. a t gerschaft

Leben in Österreich

S t a a t s b ü r41

Fi n d i n g a H o m e  &  Li v i n g i n A u s t r ia


g e n e r a l i n f o r m at i o n


o w i n g a h o m e o r fl at


p u r c h a s i n g a fl at – co n t r ac t


p r i vat e r e n ta l fl at


r e n ta l fl at fe e s


p r o t e c t i o n agai n s t ag r e e m e n t t e r m i n at i o n


h o us i n g co o pe r at i v e s


s t u d e n t fl at s


l i v i n g - au t h o r i t i e s  &  i n f o r m a t i o n services


s u b v e n t i o n s  &  f i n a n c ia l ai d 


r e s i d e n c e r e gi s t r a t i o n f o r m 


w h o d o i n o t i f y i n r e ga r d s t o change of address?


l i v i n g &  f u r n i s h i n g


w a s t e d i s p o s a l  &  w a s t e s e p e r a t i o n 


house pets


Finding a flat in Austria at a reasonable price is relatively easy. In contrast to other countries, it is very common to rent a flat in Austria – particularly in urban areas. In most rural areas, most people own a home. Many rental homes and flats come unfurnished.


I n n e n h o f, A l t s t a d t Li n z ( M a g i s t ra t Li n z)

G e n e r a l I n f o r m at i o n The following chapter has been designed to provide assistance in regards to accommodations in Austria. When searching for accommodations, there are a variety of flats available and many individual factors to heed. This chapter will provide a general overview on the subject. w w v. a t Bauen und Wohnen Wohnen Oberรถsterreich Fรถrderungen und Finanzierungen

information is Vital Deciding on whether to live in a flat or a house dictates the area to plan to live in. Plan carefully and patiently. W h at a m I lo o k i n g f o r? First you must decide how your future home will fulfil your needs and ask yourself the following: What finances are available to me now and in the future? What will my fixed monthly costs (such as one-off payments, rent, monthly utilities, heating, electricity, credit costs) be? Am I entitled to financial subventions? How long will I need the flat for? How many people will reside in the residence? Will my family grow within the next few years? 44

general i n f o r m at i o n

Which rooms are essential? Do I want to live in a renovated historic building or renovate an older apartment in a historic building myself? Do I want to purchase a flat or apply for a council flat, cooperative flat, or rental flat? Do I want to be the main tenant or do I want to sublease a flat? Do I want a fixed term rental agreement or an indefinite rental agreement? H o w d o I fi n d a fl at ? let your circle of friends and acquaintances know that you are looking for a flat check various ads and announcements online and in daily newspapers. Submit your own announcement that you are looking for a flat. contact non-profit housing associations contact banks and homes savings & loans associations contact building management hire a real estate agent N o t e : Subventions and financing are not uniform in each province so please contact the corresponding information office near you. 45

O w n i n g a H o m e o r F l at Owning a flat means to purchase property and become the joint owner of real estate property or entering a partnership of ownership legally, an independent flat, an other independent space, or a car space for exclusive use. The flat owner is a joint owner of real estate who has also a share of that real estate. As opposed to a Âťsimple joint ownerÂŤ, the flat owner with his/ her right of shared joint ownership in the real estate has the inseparable right to exclusive use of a certain flat in the real estate object. This right is to be recorded in the land register. Property recorded in the land register, regardless if the person is the sole owner or co-owner together with other persons, can one have only on real estate (property including the constructed buildings) but not in an individual flat in a building. The laws regulating flat ownership make it possible however joint ownership share in the real estate with the right of exclusive use of a certain flat in the real estate to connect.

Pu r c h a s i n g a F l at – Co n t r ac t A flat ownership contract regulates the contractual relations of the flat owner and co-inhabitors in the building in regards to the legal right of exclusive use of a certain flat, a specified independent space (such as a commercial property or a garage space), or a specified parking spot for a vehicle. A flat ownership contract can also clarify terms and conditions in regards to the allocation of special expenses, administration, and the use of general sections of the property.


p u r c h a s i n g a fl at – contr ac t

A flat ownership contract should at least include: the name of the contracting party (all co-owners as well as flat owner agents) a description of the real estate property a description of the flat’s inherent objects, accessories, components, fixtures, etc. and their utility value a declaration that all co-owners and residents will alternately care for and maintain the property Terms of use for mutual sections of the property the differing cost split in case the distribution of expenditures of the property follows another cost split other than the utility calculation agreement on the fee per utility unit that flat owners will reserve for preventative maintenance and improvement work on the building N o t e : If you wish to purchase an already existing flat, you must accept the terms and conditions agreed upon in the former contractual agreement by the former owner. Review the contract carefully before purchase. At a later point, some of the terms and conditions of the contract can be partially changed, but only in agreement with all of the flat owners. For legal advice and assistance in creating a contract, contact the housing office located in your province of residence. For more information on owning property, please see: w w v. a t Bauen und Wohnen Wohnungseigentum



P r i v at e R e n ta l F l at General Information In compliance with and in accordance to Austrian rental laws, tenants and landlords have different rights and obligations: The three sections of rental law… Full implementation of rental law Partial implementation of rental law Complete exclusion from rental law …under which a rental agreement falls depends on the comprehensive rules under §1 of Austrian rental law. A general rule of thumb is: full implementation of rental law for flats in buildings constructed before the end of World War II, rent for flats in unsubsidized new buildings and flats in new buildings containing flats to purchase, are mostly subject to partial implementation of rental law. Rental agreements finalized after December 31st 2001 on rental objects in a building with no more than two independent flats or commercial real estate properties are completely excluded from the application of Austrian rental law. 48

r e n ta l fl at fe e s

Before signing a rental agreement, contact a housing information office to find out of the rental agreement falls under full or partial implementation of rental law or if it is excluded. In brief, there are essential differences between the three sections of rental law in favor of the tenant. F u l l i m p l e m e n t a t i o n o f r e n t a l l a w : Price protection and protection from lease termination P a r t i a l i m p l e m e n t a t i o n o f r e n t a l l a w : Protection from lease termination only c o m p l e t e l y e x c l u d e d f r o m r e n t a l l a w : no protection against price control or lease termination

Main Leaseholder A main rental agreement is an agreement made between the flat seeker and homeowner

flat owner

current tenant or leaseholder of a home

the potential flat owner whose ownership is not legally yet registered.

Subleasing Subleasing is a rental agreement between the main tenant and the flat seeker. Aside from termination of a rental agreement and an admissible amount of rent, Austrian rental law covers only a few regulations in regards to subleasing. Additional legal information can be obtained at the housing information office located in each federal province.


R e n ta l F l at F e e s Security Deposit Security deposits serve to protect the landlord from damages to the rental object by the tenant. The security deposit is generally three months gross monthly rent (net rent, plus operating costs, plus 10 percent tax). The security deposit can be submitted to the landlord in the form of bank savings book or in cash. If paid in cash, the landlord must deposit the amount in a bank savings book or other comparable form of earnable savings (earning comparable interest and with the same security as a savings deposit) to keep the amount separate from the landlord’s personal accounts (particularly if the landlord must file personal bankruptcy). To get your security deposit back in full, before moving in (and when handing the flat back over to the landlord), maintain strict records of the flat’s condition (photos, handover protocol). The flat must be handed back to the landlord in the condition it was at the time of initial rental. There is an allowance for »general wear and tear« on the part of the landlord. If there are no objections on the part of the landlord, the tenant will receive the security deposit back after dissolution of the rental agreement. Alternatively, you may also opt to reclaim the security deposit back in the form of an out-of-court mediation.


r e n ta l fl at fe e s

Commission Real estate agents receive a commission for the successful procurement of a rental agreement for a client. ma ximum fees of commission Commission Rates

Fixed term rental agreement up to and under 2 years

1 x gross amount of monthly rent + 20 percent tax

Fixed term rental agreement of at least two years to a maximum of three years

2 x gross amount of monthly rent + 20 percent tax

Fixed term rental agreement of over three years and rental contracts for an indefinite period

3 x gross amount of monthly rent + 20 percent tax

N o t e : gross rent = net amount + operating costs (excluding tax)

In the course of negotiations regarding a rental object, negotiate with the landlord in regards to more favorable terms and conditions!

One-Off Payments Under the full implementation of Austrian rental laws, one-off payments (»Ablöse«) are against the law! Exceptions include the legitimate investment of one-off payments (replacement of an investment). This must be paid to the landlord if the tenant moving out has fully paid his/her investment (§ 10 Austrian rental law). The cost of these investments must be excluded from the calculation of the approved amount of rent! In this case, obtain and keep a receipt or documentation on these transactions! Landlords cannot ask for a one-off payment pertaining to his/her own investment into the rental object, but by providing a higher standard 51

r e n ta l fl at fe e s

of furnishings, the landlord can ask for a higher amount of rent. This includes payment for furniture left behind in the flat by a former tenant. In this regard, it is considered the sale of furniture sold at the current market price. N o t e : if the tenant considers the one-off payment to be too excessive, the tenant is in no way legally obligated to purchase the furnishings.

Advanced Rent Payment The landlord can only demand payment of rent in advance from the tenant by corresponding legal agreement. The payment to be made in advance must be clearly defined under the full implementation of Austrian rental law for a defined period of time; this means an advanced payment in the amount of â‚Ź 3,488.30 for two years counts towards the amount of â‚Ź 145.30 a month of the legally agreed amount of rent. After the period has expired, the full amount of rent is to be paid, meaning the monthly paid rent to date including the fee calculated by the amount of advanced payment to that date.

Rental Agreement Fees Written rental agreements and any extensions are subject to mandatory fees. The landlord is required to calculate the fee and send the amount to the corresponding tax office in the landlord’s area, location of regular residence, or location of business. Within in the same deadline, registration pertaining to the legal transaction (form Geb1) is to be sent to the tax office.


N o t e : The principle of freedom of contract determines liability between the landlord and tenant pertaining to rental agreement fees and who pays the corresponding fees. The landlord and the tenant can agree by contract as to who will pay the fees. In general, the tenant usually covers these fees.

r e n ta l fl at fe e s

D e a d l i n e : to the 15th day of the second month, following the fee debt (generally from the day the rental agreement is signed) R e p o n s i b l e A u t h o r i t i e s : The Fee Department (»Gebührenabteilung«) at each tax office location Fees: for indefinite rental agreements: one percent of the sum of three times the total amount of rent for a year (one percent of 36 x the monthly rent) for fixed term rental agreements on buildings or sections of buildings for residential purposes: one percent of rent for the length of the entire agreement, maximum of one percent of 36 x the monthly rent

Rental Agreement Deposit Fee (Processing Fee) Sometimes the landlord will request a fee when a rental agreement expires for expenses incurred by the landlord pertaining to flat administration. However, there is no legal basis for this. P l e a s e n o t e : After repeated debate by the Supreme Court, it has been determined that such fees under full implementation of Austrian rental law are forbidden and invalid as these costs are considered part of the regular administration of an apartment building and operating costs compensate the landlord. If such fees have been calculated and paid, they can be considered the same as illegal payments and demanded back! This applies only to full implementation of Austrian rental law. For more information, please contact a housing information office near you.


r e n ta l fl at fe e s

Fixed Terms Fixed term rental agreements in regards to duration can be extended in writing arbitrarily at any time. In regards to rent for flats, full and partial implementation under Austrian rental law requires that a minimum fixed term of three years be observed; after the above time, there are no fixed terms. Rental agreements are subject to a minimum extension of three years. What are the conditions for fixed term contracts as main leaseholder or subleasing agreements under full and partial implementation of Austrian rental law? Here, the tenant has irrevocable and unlimited rights and after the period of a year, can opt to terminate the rental agreement. At the end of the month, the tenant must provide a notice of termination three months in advance (terminating the agreement 16 months at the earliest from the date of contract). P l e a s e n o t e : When a fixed-term rental agreement expires and is not contractually renewed or dissolved, the rental agreement becomes valid for an additional three years. If the rental agreement is again not renewed or dissolved, the rental agreement becomes indefinite. This applies to all fixed term rental agreements where contract length ends after September 30th 2006. The tenant does not have to adhere to a legal extension of three years and can, after providing the landlord three-month notice of termination, terminate an extended rental agreement any time.


P r o t e c t i o n A gai n s t A g r e e m e n t T e r m i n at i o n Legal protection against the termination of a rental agreement by the landlord. The landlord may only terminate a current rental agreement under full and partial implementation of Austrian rental law only if grounds for termination are clear under the law and terms of agreement have been clearly violated.

Legal Reasons for Rental Agreement Termination Non-use of the flat Complete transfer of the rental object (i.e. subleasing) Subleasing at a disproportionately high amount of rent Death of the official renter and absence of any authorized persons Failure to pay rent: Conditions include that tenant, despite being forewarned in writing, is eight days behind in rent; if the renter can pay the rent before the court of first instance, the termination notice will be null and void as long as the tenant does not have additional outstanding debt. The tenant must also replace any court costs, dunning fees, etc. associated with the case. Extensive damage to the rental object: A termination notice can ensue if the rental object has been damaged due to the tenant neglect and this neglect results in unliveable conditions for coinhabiters as well as extensive, punishable actions against other occupants of the building or against the landlord. Landlord’s Personal Needs: Landlords may not terminate a rental agreement simply for no reason. The landlord must require the flat urgently for his/herself, his/her children, or grandchildren. 55

p r o t e c t i o n agai n s t ag r e e m e n t t e r m i n a t i o n

The court will closely examine whether or not the emergency situation has merit. Only then if the landlord’s interests prevail and befall a higher personal encroachment will the notice of termination be valid for the current tenant. Building deemed inhabitable: If construction authorities deem the building legally inhabitable, tenants may receive a notice a termination. These tenants must be offered an appropriate option to relocate. Refusal Accept Improvements to a Substandard Flat: If a landlord decides to invest his/her own funds in the flat to, for example, raise the standard of a Category D flat to a Category C, the landlord can request that the current tenant pay a higher amount of rent in compliance with rent prices for Category C flats. If the tenant refuses, the landlord has the right to terminate the rental agreement. The tenant must be offered an appropriate option to relocate. For general information regarding renting, please contact the Association for Consumer Information: w w w.konsument .at

Additional legal information can be obtained at the official housing office in your province w w v. a t Bauen und Wohnen BehĂśrden und Beratungsstellen


by the Upper Austrian Chamber of Commerce w w w . w k o . a t / o o e or the Chamber of Labor w w w . a r b e i t e r k a m m e r . a t


H o u s i n g C o o p e r at i v e s Cooperative flats (»Genossenschaftswohnungen«) are state built flats available to members of a cooperative. In order to rent a cooperative flat, you must be a member of the cooperative. Applicants must pay a one-time »finance fee« (a fixed fee and construction cost fee later applied to rent reduction) which can vary according to the applicant’s age as well as the flat’s location and size. After termination of tenancy agreement with an annual deduction of one percent which will be paid back. In general, applicants submit an application to request a flat currently under construction or indicate that you are interested. Applicants may also submit a request to obtain an older, vacant flat. However, these flats are difficult to come by and the waiting list can be long. To learn more about the availability of »cooperative flats« please contact a non-profit association directly. You can find a list of contact information under Austrian Federation of Limited-Profit Housing Associations at w w w . g b v . a t R e q u i r e m e n t s : Eligibility requirements to apply for a »cooperative flat« vary from province to province. Here are a few examples and a general overview of qualifying conditions: Citizenship Austrian citizenship, or EU citizenship, or EEA citizenship, or Non-EU citizenship with a valid residence permit Refugee under the Geneva Convention 57

housing co o pe r at i v e s

Age Limit: 19+ (applicants can submit an application at age 18) Income Limit: The net income sum of all persons to live in the flat must exceed a minimum limit but not exceed the maximum limit. the flat may not be used as a secondary residence Required documentation: Proof of citizenship (EEA/EU passport or official refugee identification) Birth certificate Valid passport Austrian national insurance card recent income statement Marriage certificate (if applicable) P l e a s e n o t e : This is only a general list. Additional documentation may be requested. Fees: one-time financing payment (fixed fee and construction cost fee) monthly fee (rent) To help finance the fixed fee and construction cost fee, some applicants may be eligible to apply for a capital replacement loan (»Eigenmittelersatzdarlehen«). Please see the section »Subventions and Financial Aid« to contact an official office in your area.


S t u d e n t F l at s Student Flats: w w w . s t u d e n t e n w o h n u n g e n . a t Flat Sharing Student Resident Halls For more information on student residence halls, please contact the official branch of the Austrian Student Union at the university you will be attending.

Flat Sharing A rental contract for flat sharing can be a sublet contract or headlease. The following rental options are available: One person can sign a rental agreement, the others move in as roommates. Disadvantage: if the person who signed the rental agreement moves out, the rental agreement will most likely not be transferred to the others living in the flat and subsequently they will have to move as well. All residents in the flat sign a rental agreement and legally have equal rights. If someone moves, nothing changes in regards to the rental agreement for the others in the apartment. In this case, it would be advisable to agree that the rights of tenants leaving can be transferred to remaining residents in the flat. Separate rental agreements with the landlord designating living space for each tenant.


student fl at s

Student Residence Halls Many universities towns have a number of student residence halls, administered and supported by various sponsoring organizations (associations, foundations, corporations). Contracts between residents in sponsoring organizations of student residence halls do not fall under Austrian rental law; they fall under laws governing residence in student halls. N o t e : Please submit an application for residence in a student residence hall no later than one semester before the semester officially begins.

Li v i n g - A u t h o r i t i e s  &  I n f o r m at i o n S e r v i c e s Residence Assistance, Authorities, Online Information on Living in Upper Austria




Renters’ Association of Austria / of Upper Austria w w w.mieter

Information regarding apartment ownership and rental apartments Services are for members only

Tenant Protection Association Austria / Upper Austria w w w.mieter schu t z ver

Information regarding apartment ownership and rental apartments Services are for members only

ÖMB-Austrian Tenant & Flat Owners Assocation Section: Upper Austria o oe.mieter

Free information and advice regarding first-time apartment purchase or renting (even for non-members)

l i v i n g - au t h o r i t i e s  &  i n f o r m at i o n s e v i c e s

Austrian Home & Property Owners Association Section: Upper Austria w w w.hausbesit zer

Experts for all aspects of ownership/ home purchase Services are for members only

Office the Upper Austrian Federal State Government Construction & Living w w oberoes terreich. T hemen B auen und Wohnen

Construction and living information, building law advice, information on government aid

City of Linz: Building in Linz & Living in Linz Bürgerpor t S er vice A –Z ser vice Wohnen in L inz

Construction & living information

Chamber of Labor, Upper Austria Consumer Protection w w beiter k B auen und Konsument Wohnen

Construction & living information

Chamber of Commerce Upper Austria, Real Estate Division w w w.alle

Construction & living information

»It was, very easy and still for us to is, find ever we need ything in our n ew envir o nment and so f ar we ha v e o n ly had posi tive expe riences.« Ronaldo G r a z ia n o

, I ta ly


Su b v e n t i o n s  & Fi n a n c ia l A i d The following provides helpful information and links regarding government subventions and financial aid for tenants and potential homeowners as well as diverse government subsidies. The amount of subsidies can vary from province to province. For more information, please contact the local authorities in your province of residence. F i n a n c i a l A i d O f f i c e s  &  O f f i c i a l A u t h o r i t i e s i n U p p e r A u s t r i a : State Government of Upper Austria w w v. a t Bauen und Wohnen Förderungen und Finanzierungen

Wohnen Oberösterreich

Government Aid/Living Assistance: p o r t a l.linz.g v. a t Wohnen in Linz

Bürgerservice Wohnbeihilfe

Service A–Z

R e s i d e n c e R e gi s t r at i o n Form Within three days after moving to Austria, new residents are required by law to register with local authorities. You will receive a copy of your completed Residence Registration form (»Meldezettel«) which you will need to present to other authorities. The Residence Registration form is an application to register a person’s registration/cancellation/transfer within the Central Registration System. After submission, you will receive an official print out from the Central Registration System for official use. Please complete the form in full or the authorities may not accept the form! 62

r e s i d e n c e r e gi s t r a t i o n form

Source: p o r t a l . l i n z . g v . a t A–Z


Bürgerservice Service Meldeservice Meldezettel

You c an regis ter at your lo c al cit y gover nment of f ic e and registration is mandatory by law and must be completed in person or completed by a third-party (with original documentation of residence registration or a notarized copy of this document), and must show an official photo ID to confirm identity or by mail (with the original documents of residence registration or a notarized copy of these documents) D e a d l i n e : within 3 days after moving into your residence; for newborns, within 3 days of leaving the maternity ward F e e s : none When registering your new address of residence, you will simultaneously cancel registration for your former residence. Therefore, an extra trip to cancel registration beforehand at your local government office is not necessary. If your former residence is to be maintained as a secondary residence, you must complete an additional form (the landlord’s signature can be omitted). Required Documentation (in the original or a notarized copy): Application form (= completed residence registration form; for rented accommodations the form must be signed by the tenant or landlord) Certificates and personal documents including: applicant’s personal information: first and last name, date of birth, place of birth and citizenship (i.e. driver’s license and proof of citizenship, passport, and birth certificate) if applicable, academic title (i.e. university diploma) 63

r e s i d e n c e r e gi s t r a t i o n form

In general, alien residents must present a valid passport or official refugee ID card. Official applications will be processed at the Department of Wahl-, Melde- und Passwesen at the civic center in Linz. The following sections of the residence registration form must be legible and complete: Denomination: This section can also be completed after the landlord has signed the residence registration form. You can also opt to leave this section blank. CRN Number: please indicate your registration number if applicable. The twelve digit number will be issued randomly for identification purposes to assist authorities. Signature: the form must be signed in order to be considered officially complete. Landlord’s signature Your landlord is t he p er s on allowing you to reside at the location, meaning the homeowner or apartment owner personally, roommates (i.e. life partners, family members) or the main leaseholder. the main leaseholder, roommates or the subtenant, The subtenant of a roommate I m p o r t a n t : each person living in the residence must individually complete and submit a residence registration form. 64

W ho do I Notif y in R e ga r d s t o a C h a n g e of Address? Mandatory by law Vehicle registration documents (within one week after moving, notify the registration office at your insurance company of your new address) Vehicle insurance Gun and weapons license: Federal Police Central Bureau Linz Amt für Waffen- und Sprengmittelangelegenheiten Nietzschestraße 33, 4020 Linz +43 (0)7803-0 bp dl.wa f fenam t @ p o lizei.g v. a t

Required Hunting license OÖ. Landesjagdverband Schloss Hohenbrunn, 4490 St. Florian +43 (0)7224/20083

Radio and television fees: submit in writing to any Austrian post office, tabacconist’s shop and certain bank as well as online at: +43 (0)810001080 w w w.or f-

Bank, Insurance Company If applicable, your automobile club association Power of attorney (lawyer, mail services, etc.) University


Who do I Notify in R e ga r d s t o a C h a n g e of Address?

Gas (Linz AG) Utilities (Linz AG) Heating (Linz AG) Annual Pass for Public Transportation in Linz (Linz AG) Landline Phone Services (Linz AG) Linz AG Customer Service Center Landstraße 85, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/3400-8000

Cable Television Provider Tax Authorities (in accordance to your residence): Finanzamt Linz, Bahnhofplatz 7 +43 (0)732/6998-528 or Finanzamt Urfahr, Bahnhofplatz 7 +43 (0)732/6998

Austrian Health Insurance Company OÖGKK Gruberstraße 77 +43 (0)732/7808

Land and Title Register District Court Linz, Museumstraße 10–12 +43 (0)732/7601-0

Recommended Permanent or Temporary Change of Address forms (available at all Austrian post offices) Customer membership cards Business cards The compiled list is a general recommendation in regards to moving and makes no claim to be complete. 66

Li v i n g &  Fu r n i s h i n g In Austria, rental flats and homes usually do not include a full kitchen or, if a full kitchen is in the flat, the tenant will be required to pay a one-off payment for the fitted kitchen. If you will be renting the flat for a longer period, the tenat can purchase a fitted kitchen and the cost will be included in the monthly rent. However, these terms must be negotiated with the landlord. If you purchase a kitchen for the flat and then move, you can ask the subsequent tenant to pay you for the kitchen (at its present value), provided the new tenant wishes to purchase it. The same applies to other investments made to the apartment by the tenant. If you must purchase a kitchen and other home furnishings, please keep in mind that the general waiting period after ordering new furniture at a furnishing store can be a number of weeks. There are many furniture and home furnishing stores located in Upper Austria, particularly in Linz.

Antiques in Upper Austria Art, antiques, junk goods, antiques & rummage in Upper Austria w w w.s / haendler/oberoes terreich.htm

More information on this topic on living and furnishing can be found at: w w w . c o m e 2 u p p e r a u s t r i a . a t


Wa s t e Di s p o s a l  & Wa s t e S e pa r at i o n Austrians are conscientious waste separators. The following section provides information on waste disposal and waste management:

General Information on Waste Separation & Waste Prevention Austrian laws pertaining to waste management highlights the sustainability, protection of people and the environments and protection of natural resources as an important guideline of waste management in Austria. To large extent, glass, plastics, metal, recyclable paper and organic waste can be recycled or processed. In accordance with disposal ordinances, residual waste is to be treated thermally or bio-mechanically to ensure public safety and protect the environment; non-toxic wastes are dumped in landfill sites. Separation helps to avoid chemical reactions at dumpsites that could pollute the air, ground and water supply. Each individual should help try and reduce the amount of waste he/she generates as well as separate household rubbish accordingly. As there are many regional differences in rules and regulations pertaining to the collection and further utilization of waste (particularly regarding plastic packaging and metals), the following is a general guideline on waste separation. To learn more about waste separation in your area, please contact your local city authorities. You can find more information on waste separation online under: »Richtig Sammeln - Ist doch logisch!« on Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management’s homepage. Information on separating waste and waste prevention can be found at: w w w . r i c h t i g s a m m e l n . a t 68

w a s t e d i s p o s a l &  wa s t e s e pe r at i o n

Waste Disposal Applying for regular waste removal service from your property for the first time can vary according to city ordinances in the Austrian province where you reside. Applications must be submitted to the responsible authorities in your city or town. P l e a s e n o t e : when new residential areas and new homes are planned, locations for recycling containers are commonly included in the planning phase. When planning the construction of a custom-built home, plan the location of disposal bins so they can be emptied even if you are not present on the property. F e e s : In general, there should be no fee for submitting an application. Fees for the allocation of waste disposal containers vary.

Metal Waste & Cans The following may be disposed of in the receptacle for waste metal and cans: Cans and drink cans Metal foil, metal tubes Metal lids and caps for glass jars and bottles Metal mountings, tools, pipes, wires, etc. Metal cookware P l e a s e n o t e : Varnish, spray cans, spray paint cans and oil cans may not be disposed of in the recyclable metal containers. These must be disposed of properly in compliance with the regulations for »hazardous wastes«! Old appliances may also be disposed of at your local recycling center or waste disposal center. For more information, see the section on the regulations regarding old appliances. Metal parts such as car parts, bicycle parts, old bathtubs or metal guttering, etc. must be disposed of at your local recycling center, waste disposal center, city dump or building yard. Personnel at these centers can assist you further.


w a s t e d i s p o s a l &  wa s t e s e pe r at i o n

Clear & Stained Glass The following may be deposited in the clear glass container: Clear non-returnable bottles and preserving jars Clear wine bottles, liquor bottles, milk bottles and soda bottles Clear glass containers and flasks The following may be deposited in the stained glass container: All bottles and other containers made of stained or lightly colored glass P l e a s e n o t e : The parts of the bottle not made of glass (such as twist caps, lids, corks, metal components, etc.) must be removed (if possible) and disposed of properly in the household rubbish or metal recyclable container. Bottle parts that can only be removed using tools may remain on the bottle and be deposited in the bin. Window panes, drinking glasses, mirrors, light bulbs, etc. are to be disposed of in the regular rubbish bin. N o t e : to prevent noise disturbance, please deposit glass items in the receptacles between 7 am and 8 pm only. Waste disposable receptacles for metal items, cans, glass, etc. can often be found at grocery store parking lots or other public areas. For information on the disposal center near you, please contact your local civic center or town hall.

Plastic Packaging The following can be disposed of in the receptacle for plastics or in the large yellow plastic bags: Empty plastic drink bottles Empty plastic bottles of cleaning agents, detergent, toiletries Empty plastic bottles for food items 70

w a s t e d i s p o s a l &  wa s t e s e pe r at i o n

P l e a s e n o t e : Large plastic packing items, such as canisters, may not be disposed of in plastic receptacle bins. Please deposit only empty and clean plastic packing items in the containers. N o t e : Regional collection of disposal varies. Please contact your local civic center or town hall regarding the disposal of plastics in your area. To optimize the space available in the container, empty and crush plastic bottles before disposing of them in the receptacle.

Recyclable Paper The following may be disposed of in the recyclable paper bin: Newspapers, catalogues, circulars Books, notebooks, telephone books Writing paper Uncoated paper bags, boxes, cardboard packaging N o t e : Soiled and greasy items of paper must be deposited in the regular garbage. Do not dispose paper drink cartons (milk cartons, juice cartons, etc.) in the recyclable paper bin! Paper drink cartons must be collected in a so-called »ÖKO-BOX« or »ÖKO-BAG«. Miscellaneous packing material such as styrofoam and/or plastic covering must be disposed of properly before depositing the paper/cardboard sections in the receptacle for recyclable paper. To optimize the space available in the collection bins, please pile newspapers neatly and break down bulky cartons and boxes. Please do not tear paper into small pieces as this hinders the sorting process.


w a s t e d i s p o s a l &  wa s t e s e pe r at i o n

Organic Waste The following can be disposed of in the organic waste bins: Fruit and vegetable scraps Plant-derived food scraps and old bread Used potting soil and dead houseplants Lawn, tree, hedge and shrub clippings Fallen fruit The proper collection and disposal of leftover meat scraps, bones, food scraps and spoiled foods can cause problems and collection varies regionally. Please contact your local civic center or town hall for more information on the collection of organic wastes! P l e a s e n o t e : If you collect organic waste in a plastic bag, please do not deposit the plastic bag along with the waste. Please separate and dispose of the plastic bag properly. Many large apartment complexes have separate containers for the disposal of plastic packaging, recyclable paper, organic waste, and regular waste in close proximity. Single family homes receive one plastic rubbish bin.

Disposal of Hazardous Wastes »Problemstoffe« Hazardous waste refers to poisonous or chemically dangerous wastes. If improperly disposed of together with regular waste or flushed, these wastes can hazardous to the environment and endanger public health. Hazardous wastes must be disposed of properly and in an environmentally safe manner. Hazardous wastes include: Expired medication, omit packaging Used cooking oils and fats, used mineral oils (such as motor oil) Batteries/Storage Batteries 72

w a s t e d i s p o s a l &  wa s t e s e pe r at i o n

Energy saving lamps and bulbs Paint, varnishes and lacquers, adhesives, fertilizers, thinning agents, etc. Fever thermometers (containing mercury) Photo developing and processing chemicals Gas cylinders and gas cartridges (incl. contents) Hypodermic syringes Oil filters Cleaning and detergent supplies, spray cans Acids and leaching agents Unknown and unidentifiable materials and/or liquids Weed killing agents P l e a s e n o t e : To dispose of used cooking oils and fats properly, please obtain a special plastic container (»ÖLI«) at your local recycling center or waste recovery center. To learn more about the waste services available in your area, contact your local civic center or town hall.

Batteries Every store or business, whether large or small, that sells batteries for appliances (such as AA or AAA batteries, rechargeable batteries, button cell batteries, and storage batteries) must accept the return of old batteries. These stores often have battery-return boxes designed especially for proper disposal of old batteries. Used car batteries and used starter batteries are collected separately. All vehicle repair garages and spare parts stores are required to accept and properly dispose of old car batteries (no purchase of anything at the store required). Recycling centers and/or waste recovery centers will also accept old car and starter batteries.


w a s t e d i s p o s a l &  wa s t e s e pe r at i o n

Bulky Waste Bulky waste refers to items too large to fit into a plastic rubbish sack such as old mattresses, sinks, old windows, sporting goods, furniture, old flooring, bulky plastic items, and large appliances. Bulky items can be deposited directly at waste dumps, recycling centers or waste recovery centers. Some cities provide home pick-up service for bulky items on certain dates; please contact your local civic center or town hall to learn more. P l e a s e n o t e : Please contact local city authorities for an appointment to have bulky items picked up from your home and removed. Fees apply for pick-up services outside of the city’s scheduled pick-up dates. If certain bulky items are still in good condition, please consider donating the item(s) to a local charity organization or selling them at your local flea market.

Used Clothing Used clothing refers to clean, still wearable clothing, bed sheets and household linens as well as bed covers. Well-known charities such as Caritas and the Red Cross hold used clothing drives throughout the year. Large, gray metal receptacles marked »Altkleider« are located throughout the city for the collection of used clothing at anytime. Items are collected by charity organizations in cooperation with the city. P l e a s e n o t e : Clothing in poor condition, waste fabric, carpets and rugs, nylon pantyhose as well as unwashed, worn out clothing must be deposited in the regular rubbish. Collecting and donating wearable used clothing instead of throwing it away not only helps the environment, but people in need as well. 74

w a s t e d i s p o s a l &  wa s t e s e pe r at i o n

Electrical Repairs If you require work or home repairs, w w w . w o h n e n . a t offers information on local repair companies and emergency services. L o c k  &  K e y S e r v i c e Do you require lock and key services in your immediate area? Simply call 0800AUFSPERREN (+43 (0)800283773) for free on your mobile phone. The service operator will connect you with a locksmith in your area. Locksmiths can assist you immediately on site. The average cost to unlock a front door is around € 70.

Pest Control Pest exterminators can be hired for pest control purposes to exterminate roaches, fleas, ticks, mites, mice and rats. Many pests become a problem due to the direct actions of humans and modifying these actions can often reduce pest problems significantly.

Laundromats, Dry Cleaners Housework in Austria is mostly done by women. For this reason, laundromat services are used mostly by single men. As in many other countries, you will not find self-service, coin operated laundromats in Austria, but rather drop off laundromats and cleaners. You can drop off your laundry where it will be washed, ironed and ready to pick up in 2 or 3 days. The cost of ironing men’s dress shirts runs about € 2 to 3 per dress shirt.


w a s t e d i s p o s a l &  wa s t e s e pe r at i o n

Washing These symbols indicate the garment is machine-washable (normal wash cycle). Machine wash brights to 40°, whites (or towels) to 60°. 95° is used less often nowadays with today’s detergents. If your machine setting has an »E“ (energy saving mode) after 60°, that is ideal for hot wash.

A line under the symbol indicates the »delicate cycle“ (some machines have two lines for an “extra delicate” cycle). This symbol indicates »hand wash only“ (by hand in a sink or tub using a delicate detergent). Do not wash. This symbol indicates the garment may only be dry cleaned.

Cleaning Symbols for dry cleaning. The letter indicates the type of solvent that may be used. The dry cleaners will use the appropriate solvent.

Do not dry clean.


w a s t e d i s p o s a l &  wa s t e s e pe r at i o n

Ironing The fewer points on the iron symbol means less heat: 3 points-max. temperature of 200°C (cotton and linens) 2 points-max. temperature of 150°C (wool, silk, polyester, viscose) 1 point-max temperature of 110°C (polyacrylics, polymides, acetates)

Do not iron.

Tumble drying 2 points-tumble dry at high setting 1 point-tumble dry at low setting

Do not tumble dry

What’s missing…? Chlorine bleach allowed in cold and diluted solution.

Do not use chlorine bleach.


House Pets Regulations pertaining to the legal entry of dogs, cats, ferrets and other pets when travelling from third countries to Austria is described below. Pets fulfilling the conditions described below are not subject to inspection by a veterinarian at the Austrian border.

Traveling with Your Pet within EU/EEA Member Countries As of October 1st 2004, an authorized veterinary document and pet passport are required to travel within the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) with dogs, cats and ferrets. N o t e : the personal transport of tropical fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds (aside from poultry) as well as rodents, pet rabbits and invertebrates (aside from bees and shellfish) do not require documentation. The Pet Passport is a standard, forgery-proof identification card valid throughout Europe allowing for the clear identification and inspection of animals. The Pet Passport is available at any veterinarian office in Austria. Animals over 12 weeks old must have a valid rabies vaccination (or booster shot), dated and entered into the pet passport. 78

house pets S p r i n g t i m e i n t h e c o u n t r y s i d e ( O Ă–.To u r i s m u s/R Ăś b l)

P l e a s e n o t e : In addition to a recent rabies vaccination, some EU countries (Great Britain, Ireland, Malta and Sweden) require dogs, cats and ferrets to undergo a blood test for antibodies (titration). In some member countries there are additional regulations in regards to ticks and tapeworms. The pet passport also contains owner information and change of pet ownership can be recorded in the pet passport. If desired, a photo of the pet can be attached in the pet passport as well, including the pet’s name, age, race, sex, and identification number. To better identify dogs, cats or ferrets when travelling abroad, the pet must have either an ID tattoo or microchip. The chip code number and/ or identifiable tattoo must be entered in the pet passport. P l e a s e N o t e : Up to July 2, 2012, pet owners may exit the country with pets that have an ID tattoo. Beginning July 3, 2012 all pets must have a microchip. For more information on rules and regulations pertaining to travel with pets, please see the homepage of the Federal Ministry of Health: w w w . b m g . g v . a t Fachbereiche Tierschutz Reisen

Urlaub mit Haustieren

Some non-EU countries (Andorra, Iceland, Leichtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Vatican City) apply the same rules and regulations as within the European Union in regards to travelling with pets. Further information on travel with pets: _en.htm

P l e a s e n o t e : it is highly recommended to inquire about the new rules and regulations regarding travelling with a pet (particularly special rules pertaining to travel with animals under three months of age) in a timely manner before your trip at either an Austrian embassy or consulate abroad or by contacting the responsible authorities in Austria.


house pets

Automobile clubs such as Ă–AMTC and ARBĂ– can also provide detailed information on travel regulations in individual countries. If you require proof of non-contagious disease in regards to certain animal diseases, please contact:

Municipal Office District Authority Office D o g s , Ca t s , F e r r e t s Each animal from a third country entering the EU while travelling accompanied by a private person must be vaccinated for rabies. The animal must have identification and certification papers. Also, a serological test for rabies (titration test) is required for each animal not originating from a third country and on a specified third country list. A n t i - Ra b i e s Va c c i n a t i o n Anti-rabies vaccination is deemed valid if the animal has been vaccinated with an inactive vaccine in accordance with the license for market authorization of the vaccine in the country of origin; 21 days after completing basic vaccination procedures; if the animal has been re-vaccinated at regular intervals; if the vaccine is effective with at least one antigenic unit per dose (WHO standard). Pet Mobility Each animal must have proper identification. Each animal must be vaccinated against rabies and the vaccination must be recent. One certificate per animal must be presented, including confirmation of a serological test for rabies (antibody titration). 80

house pets

R e - e n t r y o f A n i m a l s O r igi n a l l y R e gi s t e r e d i n A u s t r ia f r o m T h i r d Countries When re-entering Austria, a pet passport is required per animal, including confirmation of a valid rabies vaccination and the serological test for rabies The three-month period between the blood test and moving date does not apply to the re-entry of a pet if the passport shows that a serological test for rabies was conducted, and positive, before the animal left the country. T h i r d C o u n t r i e s w i t h S p e c ia l Conditions The limit of five animals per person does not apply to the countries of Andorra, Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, and Vatican City. Animals travelling from these countries may enter the European Union accompanied by the certificate or a pet pass (Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and San Marino). Pu p p i e s  &  Ki t t e n s U n d e r 1 2 W e e k s Old All animals under 12 weeks of age and imported to Austria for noncommercial purposes are subject to veterinarian control at the border. Furthermore, an import permit by the Federal Ministry of Health is required. An import permit may only be issued if the animal originates in a third country on a certain list or from a third country with special conditions.


house pets

C o m m e r c ia l I m p o r t s As of October 12th 2004, incoming dogs, cats and ferrets 12 weeks old or older are subject to the conditions of Commission Decision 2004/595/EC. For important websites online, please see: w w w.come2upper aus tria .com

O f f i c ia l V e t e r i n a r y C e r t i f i c a t e In accordance to country specific import rules and regulations, pets travelling abroad accompanied by their owners require the appropriate official veterinary documentation. The document is available at the Health Office, Department of Veterinary Medicine. For office hours and the exact location, please see: p o r t a l.linz.g v. a t Bürgerservice Amtstierärtzliches Zeugnis Tiere

Service A–Z

Dogs Dog owners are subject to mandatory responsibilities as regulated by the Animal Protection Act and its corresponding provisions. The identification and registration of dogs to return run-away, abandoned or deserted dogs are regulated in § 24a of the Animal Protection Act. All dogs in Austria must have identification tags. N o t e : As of June 30 2008 all dogs in Austria must have an ID microchip. The chip, to be paid for by the dog’s owner, will be inserted by a veterinarian once the dog is at least three months old. The Federal Ministry of Health maintains a complete list of registered dogs in an animal welfare database.


house pets

Regulations regarding muzzles and leashes are determined by individual communities. The following is a general guideline: Dogs must be kept muzzled or on leashes outside of ungated or gate property and houses in a residential area Dogs must be kept on a leash or muzzled in grassland areas Dogs must be muzzled in certain areas and locations (such as public transportation) Dogs are not allowed near public playgrounds Owners are required by ordinance to clean up after their pets by collecting and properly disposing droppings. In general, dog owners must ensure that their dog does not soil public sidewalks, paths, pedestrian zones, residential streets, sand boxes and public playgrounds. N o t e : For more information on rules and regulations pertaining to owning a dog, please contact your community town hall, local magistrate’s office or district administrative authority. D e a d l i n e : Dogs must be registered at the magistrate offices in Linz, or the town hall in the owner’s city of residence, within 3 days after the dog is 12 weeks old. The registration must include: The owner’s name and permanent address (the owner must be at least 16 years of age) The dog’s race, color, sex and age If applicable, the name and address of the dog’s previous owner Please supply the following documentation: the required documents to own a dog legally Proof of liability insurance in the amount of € 725 (an insurance policy or insurance confirmation) 83

house pets

F e e s : The dog licensing fee is € 44 a year. Exceptions: Guard dogs for the protection of farms and/or companies and businesses Dogs necessary for the practice of certain professions or required for companies must be registered at the Finanzrechts- und Steueramt, Abgaben-Service, civic center building, 1st floor, Rm. 1120

More information on owning a dog, ID tags, microchips, or deregistering your dog can be found at: p o r t a l.linz.g v. a t Hunde Tiere


Service A–Z

Veterinarians To find a veterinarian near you in Upper Austria, please see: w w w.t i e r a e r z t e k a m m e r. a t

E n j o y i n g a f a l l p i c n i c ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s/R ö b l)



house pets

Pets in Public Transportation In general, small (harmless) pets are allowed on public transportation for free when accompanied by their owners. Pet carriers must be manageable for owners and ensure that fellow passengers cannot be injured, unduly affected, or subject to damage. Pets must be clean and dry. Dogs must be muzzled and leashed. In some cases, owners may be required to pay fare (discount rate) to transport a dog on public transportation. P l e a s e n o t e : before taking your pet on the public transportation system, please inform yourself on the rules and regulations regarding the transportation of pets and animals.

Illegal Pets In compliance with the law, pet owners owning certain kinds of animals must notify authorities (i.e. wild animals, particularly with special needs) as well as obtain a permit (i.e. zoo animals, circus animals, animals related to one’s business, for events). The Protection of Animals Act lists all conditions, a complete species list and rules of exception in regards to owning animals. It is prohibited to own certain types of wild animals as listed in § 9 of the 2nd Pet Ordinance. Responsible authorities: District Administrative Authorities of Upper Austria Municipal Office P l e a s e n o t e : for detailed information on the subject, please contact the responsible authority in your area.


The Tr ansition Period T h e A u s t r ia n Wa y o f Li f e 




f i n d a j o b i n au s t r ia TR A NSFERR I N G A DR I VER ’ S L I CENSE


98 10 0




10 6



During this period of transition, there will be a number of bureaucratic tasks to tend to. This chapter has been designed to help you organize the procedures step by step to complete these tasks effectively and efficiently. The chapter also provides useful links and contact information in case you have additional questions.


T h e A u s t r ia n Wa y o f Li f e Austria has a long and very rich and active history, closely tied to the history of many other European countries which has shaped the selfimage of Austrians today. »Tu f e l i x A u s t r i a n u b e « »Y o u , H a p p y A u s t r i a , M a r r y « Whereas other countries were intent upon waging war to expand their empires and territories, Austrians often focused on diplomacy and building alliances to avoid confrontation with other powers in Europe. In this regards, Austria’s current policy of neutrality is a core value of the Austrian identity, even though there is no longer any threat of a Cold War. Austria considers itself an intermediary in regards to conflict, a reason that Vienna is home to a number of UN organizations, including the International Atomic Energy Agency. AEIOU – Alles Erdreich ist Österreich untertan Austria is to Govern the World Back in the 15th century, the above saying was chiseled in stone in a coat of located above the Friedrichs gate upon entering the Linz Castle. The family ruled over a large empire and under the Habsburgs, introduced extensive bureaucracy and strict court rules and customs. In an effort to centralize the administration, an attempt was made to unify the German language, resulting in the so-called »Habsburger German« and eventually referred to as High German. This form of High German often 88

F e u e r k o g e l M o u n t a i n s ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s)


reminds Austrians of their role as imperial subjects and is often rejected by Austrians. The Austrians’ aversion towards those who speak High German is not aimed at Germany, but rather a rebellion against the historical role of authority and bureaucracy. This line of thought continues to be prevalent in Austria, however in recent years many successful initiatives were created to make bureaucracy more »citizen-friendly«. Austria also maintains a historical reverence of academic titles and government titles as well as a general sense of discipline and adhering to rules and formism. »Heimat bist Du großer Söhne, Volk begnadet für das Schöne« »Yo u a r e H o m e t o G r e a t S o n s , A P e o p l e B l e s s e d B y Their Sense of Beauty« These words from the Austrian national anthem, with lyrics by Paula von Preradović, refer to an additional important aspect of Austria’s identity. Although the country is small and there are no significant raw materials, its history is chock full of great achievement through artistic and intellectual disciplines. The anthem not only includes Austria’s »great sons«, but it’s »great daughters« as well, having been the birthplace and/or residence to a number of the world’s brightest minds. After the annexation of Austria into the Third Reich, many artists and intellectuals were force to flee. Up to the present, many artists continue to be divided in their relationship to their home country, often experiencing a love-hate relationship to Austria. These artists include authors such as Helmut Qualtinger, Erich Fried and Thomas Bernhard. The relationship provides an unmistakable kind of self-critical and sarcastic humor. Psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud, born at Berggase 19 in Vienna, greatly influenced the artistic movement of Vienna Actionism.



Austrian Families Austrians are generally conservative and behave moderately. The family unit is very important to many Austrians. Weekends are often devoted to the family and Austrian families come together to share activities, have dinner together, visit grandparents or meet with friends. Having dinner together in the evening or enjoying a barbeque on weekends is customary for the majority of Austrian families. Austrian families are generally small and many families are deeply rooted in a certain region. Austrians are very proud of their homes. Austrian homes are considered a place where a family can relax and enjoy their free time. Many Austrians tend to only invite good friends and relatives to their homes and business meetings are generally held at restaurants or at the company.

The Differences between Germany-Austria For many people outside of German-speaking Europe, Austria is often mistaken as an extension of Germany rather than a sovereign country, often citing Vienna as a city located in Germany or Austria as a region of Bavaria. La n guag e – Sa m e , Bu t Di f f e r e n t High school graduates in Germany are required to pass the final »Abitur« examination, called the »Matura« in Austria. What Germans called »Tomate« in German (= tomato), the Austrians call »Paradeiser«, a »Pflaume« in Germany (= plum) is a »Zwetschke« in Austria and instead of »Sahne« (= cream), Austrians say »Obers«. And the list goes on and on… The use of vocabulary indicates whether the author is German or Austrian.


In Germany, the differences in German dialect are very pronounced between northern Germany and southern Germany. In Austria, there are various regional dialects. There are cases where even an Austrian from one part of the country can have extreme difficulties understanding a fellow Austrian from another part of the country.


H a l l s t a t t i n t h e s u m m e r ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s)

T h e M e d ia i n A u s t r ia &  G e r m a n y In general, the lives of German families living in Austria are not much different than living in Germany. In addition to Austrian television channels, Austria also gets all of the German television channels. German newspapers and magazines – from tabloids to scientific journals – can be purchased almost everywhere. There is also an ample selection of Austrian publications. In addition, there are a number of free newspapers and free circulars delivered to households by mail. C o s t o f Li v i n g &  Ra n g e o f G o o d s Although surveys have shown that on average the prices at German discount stores are cheaper, prices at other German supermarket chains tend to be more expensive. In general, however, the difference in the cost of living is minimal. In regards to the range of goods, Austria sells most goods available in Germany. Restaurant menus are also similar. Many regional German specialities may not be offered at Austrian restaurants however, the same goes for finding Austrian specialities at German restaurants. Austrian grocery stores tend to carry locally produced food products, particularly organic products made in Austria that tend to be more costly than conventionally produced food products in Germany. In comparison to Germany, the price of petrol is much cheaper (last update: 2010) and Germans close to the Austrian border often do »petrol runs« to Austrian petrol stations. 91

01 02

0 1 C l a s s i c a l c o n c e r t i n f ro n t o f t h e Ko n g re s s h a u s, B a d I s c h l ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s/R ö b l) 0 2 »C l o u d o f S o u n d« e v e n t f o r c h i l d re n, Li nz ( M a g i s t ra t Li n z) 0 3 A f t e r n o o n c o f f e e, s o l a rC i t y, Li n z (W KO Ö ) 0 4 D i n n e r w i t h f r i e n d s ( R e v i t a l A s p a c h) 0 5 Th e e x c i t e m e n t o f t h e » U r f a h ra n e r m a r k t« f a i r, Li n z 92 ( M a g i s t ra t Li nz)

03 04




Culture & Mentality For such a small country, the cultural variety is surprisingly diverse. Residents in the provinces of Vorarlberg and Tyrol are extremely influenced by an alpine lifestyle. Whereas those in Vorarlberg tend to feel more affinity with the Swiss, Tyrol has closer relations to Southern Tyrol and Italy, and Salzburg is greatly influenced by the Bavarians. There are similar relations in Upper Austria as well as historically, the region of Innviertel was a part of Bavaria. The sophisticated, cosmopolitan city of Vienna continues to be a melting pot from the Habsburger monarchy and is a very liberal, open-minded city. Burgenland is reminiscent of Hungary. One Austrian feature stands out in comparison to the Germans: an almost proverbial sense of being reserved. A growing queue at supermarket check-out stand in Germany would lead to customer’s demanding a second lane be opened whereas Austrians are more reserved and tend not to speak up. Austrian coffee houses are a long-standing tradition and a symbol of Austrian culture. Coffee houses are frequented by young and old alike who congregate to enjoy a cup of coffee and chat, philosophize, play cards or chess, or read the paper – sometimes from morning to night. Coffee houses host businessmen for lunch or after-work drinks as well as provide a brief respite for busy mothers with children. A day without a visit to a coffee house is a lost day. Pu n c t ua l i t y In general, Austrians tend plan their weeks, sometimes months, in advance and do not particularly like to have to change plans. Please keep this in mind when arranging appointments or changing dates. Austrians place great emphasis on being punctual and expect foreign guests to be just as punctual. Business meetings often first commence by engaging in pleasantries and small talk and the topic of a meeting will often not stray from the planned agenda. 94


Etiquette Austrians tend to be very formal not only in business matters, but also in everyday life. Austrians generally greet one another by shaking hands and saying » G r ü ß G o t t « or » G r ü ß d i c h « , if they have known that person for longer time and are on familiar terms. When leaving, they say » A u f W i e d e r s e h e n « which means good bye or Tschüss. It is considered impolite to fail to greet someone when entering a shop or restaurant, or leave without saying good-bye. In regards to social invitations, it is important to know that many invitations are extended in advance and the more formal the occasion, the longer the period between the invitation and the event itself. If you enter or leave a building in woman’s company, the man will open the door for the woman. If you are invited to someone’s home for dinner in Austria, it is customary to bring flowers or a good bottle of wine as a host gift. In formal conversation, use formal titles of » F r a u « for a woman and » H e r r« for a man. Austrians appreciate social pleasantries and are used to a certain amount of small-talk before coming to the point. Austrians never use first names when first introduced, but first names may be used after a number of meetings or get-togethers. A u s t r ia n Ta b l e Ma n n e r s Regardless if you are a tourist or if you travel for business, table manners are important in Austria. Dinner etiquette dictates that guests be punctual. Several simple rules can make it easier for visitors to feel more comfortable in Austria and accepted by the locals. More on this topic can be found in the book »I Understand«. Ti p p i n g &  O t h e r R e s t au r a n t Cu s t o m s In general, hotels and restaurants serve lunch between 12:00 and 14:00. Dinner is served at around 18:00. Gratuity is often already included in the bill, however if you are satisfied with the service, a small tip (5 percent) is sufficient. In many cases, the bill is simply rounded up. Gratuity is often already included in restaurant bills and when using taxi services.


0 1+ 0 2 C h a m b e r o f La b o r, Li n z ( M a g i s t ra t Li n z)

d ly ery frien all are v r e elp v h o o e t l ing »Peop and will eded.« e n s i e c s is ta n ada m i c , Ca n when as san Jere Du

E s ta b l i s h i n g Y o u r O w n Bu s i n e s s Self-Employment in Austria In general, everyone in Austria may pursue self-employment but must know how to proceed correctly. The Upper Austrian Chamber of Commerce can provide free information on how to establish your own business. We have briefly summarized the most important aspects. Anyone wishing to establish their own business in Austria must differentiate between free and regulatory business. Anyone can practice the first option, however regulated business requires completion of a special course. The business will be registered with the appropriate authorities and once registered officially, the business owner automatically becomes a member of the Austrian Chamber of Commerce, which includes paying the required dues and fees but also provides access to services and benefits offered by the Chamber of Commerce. After registering one’s business, the owner must register with the Austrian tax authorities to apply for a tax payer account number. Business owners must comply with certain rules, laws and regulations in regards to taxation in Austria, such as completing »ascertainment of profits« forms (billing revenue-expenditures or double book entries), and tax return forms. These forms must be submitted annually to ascertain the amount of taxes owed. If the business owner receives an official request to pay taxes, the owner must immediately pay the amount required. 96




In general it is recommended to consult an official tax consultant to provide advice in all matters pertaining to taxation in Austria. Business owners in Austria are socially insured. After officially registering your business, owners must register with the Austrian health insurance agency, ÂťSozialversicherung der gewerblichen WirtschaftÂŤ (SVA). Business owners are required to pay insurance premiums which entitle owners to payment and benefits just as a retirement pension. Business owners wishing to hire employees must address the issues of work contracts and registering employees for social insurance benefits at the GKK. It is impossible for new business owners just starting out to know everything about starting a business. Learn more by seeking advice through services provided by the Chamber of Labor where experts can answer questions or provide a referral. In regards to business affairs, it is recommended to employ the services of a tax consultant and/or business lawyer. Helpful Websites: w w w.gruender ser w w v. a t


Fi n d a J o b i n A u s t r ia Searching for a job in Austria is similar to searching for a job anywhere. In addition to support and services offered by the A M S (Public Employment Service Austria), numerous internet job sites can be helpful: w w w. m o n s t e r. a t w w w.k w w w.s teps

(specializing in management level positions)

Austrian daily newspapers such as D e r S t a n d a r d , D i e P r e s s e , O b e r Ü s t e r r e i c h i s c h e n N a c h r i c h t e n , etc. publish career sections every weekend. The job section can also be accessed online on each paper’s website. These websites not only publish job ads, but also provide tips and advice for job seekers as well as opportunities for job seekers to post their current CV online. In addition to conventional job platforms, job seekers are increasingly taking advantage of social networks such as X i n g . c o m and L i n k e d i n . c o m . A typical job application in Austria consists of a cover letter and a current CV, including copies of diplomas, written recommendations, a character reference as well as an official document verifying the applicant has no criminal record.



P l e a s e n o t e : Unlike other countries, CVs in Austria commonly include personal information such the applicant’s date of birth, marital status, family status and religious affiliation. In general, Austrian employers place great emphasis on a consistent CV with little or no gaps in regards to employment. Employers favor applicants who have linear professional careers and when composing a cover letter, it is highly recommended to concentrate on one’s strengths. When addressing a cover letter to a potential employer, always use the employer’s academic title. When interviewing for a job, be punctual and dress professionally, and address the potential employer using his/her academic title.

» A u s t r ia n p e o p l e a r e q ui t e n i c e  &  o p e n m inded.« Christoph Kli nke, Germany


Tr ansferring a Driver’s Li c e n s e In general, only valid foreign driver’s licenses may be transferred (expiration dates issued in the country of origin also apply in Austria). Drivers must have a valid license to operate a motor vehicle in Austria. A driver’s license issued by a non-EU or non-EEA country must be transferred to an Austrian license within a six month period after declaring official residence in Austria. P r e - c o n d i t i o n : T he holder of the foreign driver’s license must be 19 years of age. If the driver’s license is not in German, an international driver’s license or a translation must accompany the license. Application: w w w . h e l p . g v . a t / C o n t e n t . N o d e / d o c u m e n t s / FormularFuehrerscheinantrag2.pdf

EU and/or EEA Driver’s Licenses As EU and/or EEA driver’s licenses are recognized in Austria, the holder is not required to transfer the license but can choose to do so voluntarily.


transferring a driver’s license

Non-EU and/or Non-EEA Driver’s License In general, holders of a driver’s license from non-EU or non-EEA countries must successfully pass a behind-the-wheel driving examination and transfer the driver’s license to obtain an Austrian license. You must have the proper vehicle in the corresponding class of vehicle at your disposal in order to take the driving examination. F o r a l l C l a s s e s : Andorra, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey, Croatia, Monaco, San Marino, Switzerland F o r C l a s s B : Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Israel, Canada, Republic of South Africa, Republic of South Korea (if the license was issued after January 1st 1997), USA

Responsible Authority All departments throughout Austria responsible for driver’s licenses In Linz, Wels, Steyr: Federal Police Central Bureau In cities and smaller towns without a federal police station: the District Authority Office

Procedure Submit an application to request the transfer of foreign driver’s license. The form is available at any driver’s license office or can be downloaded online. I n regards to trans fer ring the foreign driver’s license, the following options are available: The old driver’s license is relinquished to authorities and you will receive a temporary driver’s license or confirmation. After payment of the required fees directly to authorities, the new driver’s license will be sent by mail within five to ten days. 101

transferring a driver’s license

Retaining the old driver’s license: After paying the required fees directly to the authorities, you may pick up your new driver’s license at the office within five to ten days and then subsequently relinquish your old driver’s license. As a rule, a forensic investigation (verification) will be conducted and the process can take a few weeks. If your driver’s license cannot be verified, you will be required to take the theoretical written driver’s examination as well as the behind-the-wheel driver’s examination. Please inquire at the local authorities in your home country as to how long the verification process can take from their end and what experience the authorities there have when verifying a driver’s license. If you need your driver’s license quickly, you can pay an additional fee of € 16 for express service. Your driver’s license will be issued within a period of approximately two days. A temporary driver’s license or confirmation contains all of the same information provided on a driver’s license (including personal information, license category, any time limitations, restrictions, and conditions). T he temp orar y driver’s license is only valid: a maximum period of four weeks from the date of issuance (cannot be extended) in combination with an official photo ID within Austria After your official driver’s license has been issued, the temporary driver’s license becomes null and void (and does not have to be returned to authorities).


transferring a driver’s license

Required Documentation Most driver’s license offices will require documents in the original and in copy. F or the voluntar y transfer of an E U or E E A driver’s license: Passport or Identification Card Foreign driver’s license An excerpt from license records of the issuing country, including translation if required A passport-size photo (portrait format: 35mm x 45 mm) no older than six months (same size as required for a passport) If applicable, a confirmation of registration (to facilitate processing procedures) Confirmation and/or translation by, for example, the ÖAMTC or ARBÖ, in which classifications are compared and adjusted. (Class B for vehicle driver’s is not uniform everywhere) F or the transfer of a non- E U and /or non- E E A driver’s license: Passport Foreign driver’s license If required, a translation of the driver’s license A passport size photo (portrait format 35 mm x 45 mm) no older than six months (same size as required for a passport) General medical examination If applicable, a confirmation of registration (to facilitate processing procedures) Confirmation and/or translation by, for example, the ÖAMTC or ARBÖ, in which classifications are compared and adjusted. (Class B for vehicle driver’s is not uniform everywhere)


transferring a driver’s license


Exchange: € 55.70 Express Service: an additional € 16 General medical examination: between € 25 and € 35 Translation provided by an Austrian automobile association such as ÖAMTC or ARBÖ: free for members, otherwise € 15 and € 20 respectively

P e r i o d o f Va l i d i t y f o r a F o r e ig n D r i v e r ’ s Li c e n s e i n A u s t r ia EU or EEA driver’s license: indefinite From a non-EU or non-EEA country: After officially declaring residency Austria: six months after declaring residency in Austria, the driver must be at least 19 years old No Residence in Austria: up to 12 months after entering Austria, the driver must be at least 19 years old help.g v. a t

A n A u s t r i a n d r i v e r’s l i c e n s e. Pre s e n t b o t h t h e n e w c a rd together with the former license


I n n e r c o u r t y a rd, h i s t o r i c c i t y c e n t e r, Li nz

Ci t i z e n Ca r d , E- Government CitizenCard The CitizenCard is an Âťofficial identification cardÂŤ that can be obtained on a voluntary basis and could be required in order to complete certain online procedures. The CitizenCard, for example, allows you to sign online forms electronically. The electronic signature is then matched to your handwritten signature. As of February 1st 2005, the CitizenCard also functions as an ATM card. For more information, please see:

w w w.buergerk ar

What is E-Government? E-Government, short for electronic government, facilitates communication, interaction, and business transactions between citizens and local businesses as well as city government offices, local politicians and other public institutions. G e n e r a l I n f o r m at i o n o n E - G o v e r n m e n t S e r v i c e s i n Li n z The section C i t i z e n S e r v i c e s will take you to the E-Government section for the City of Linz. Here you can access various services provided by the city and take care of some administrative tasks online rather than in person. Access Information on City Services online where you can download and print required forms and even complete forms online (online services). You can conveniently access information and services offered by the city of Linz via Areas of Life. Here you can find information, forms, additional links and contact addresses in regards to your concerns. The right hand section contains a search field to facilitate your inquiry in regards to certain services.


V o t i n g , Rig h t t o V o t e The Austrian constitution mandates the national election system requiring representative bodies such as the National Assembly, Parliament and city and district councils to be elected by the p r i n c i p l e s o f t h e right to vote.

Active Right to Vote Austrian citizens have a legal right to cast votes providing they are not by law explicitly excluded from the right to vote and are of legal voting age: Elections to select a federal president, National Assembly members, Parliament members, City Councilpersons and Mayor Age 16 by the corresponding election day N o t e : non-Austrian EU citizens residing primarily in Austria may be eligible to vote in city council elections. Elections in Upper Austria (city council and parliament) Age 16 by the corresponding election day and primary residence in Upper Austria Non Austrian EU citizens residing primarily in Upper Austria may be eligible to participate in district representative elections (but not in city or federal elections). European Parliament Elections Age 16 by the corresponding election day, provided that by the effective date, the person is registered in the European Election File in an Austrian city. N o t e : non Austrian EU citizens residing primarily in Austria may vote either for an Austrian member to the European parliament or for a representative from his/her own country of origin.


Passive Right to Vote Passive voters, meaning Austrian citizens eligible to campaign in an election as an official candidate, may campaign provided they are not by law explicitly excluded from the right to vote and are of a certain age: Federal Presidential Elections Age 35 by the corresponding election day National Assembly members, Parliament members, City Councilpersons and Mayor Age 18 by the corresponding election day

C o s t o f Li v i n g Austrians spent an average of 0.8 percent of their income on education, 2.6 percent on communications, 2.8 percent on alcoholic beverages and tobacco products, 3.1 percent on health care, 5.5 percent at cafes/ restaurants/hotels, 5.6 percent on clothing and footwear, 6.2 percent on home improvements, 12.6 percent on leisure activities/sport/hobbies, 13 percent on food and non-alcoholic beverages, 16.1 percent on transportation and 22.3 percent on housing costs and utilities (per adult and per household). Monthly household expenses are highest in Salzburg and Tyrol and lower in Carinthia. Utilities (gas and electricity), housing costs and the cost of petrol, diesel and heating oil have risen in recent years; the costs of recreational activities, hobbies, sports, housing and energy is relatively high compared to the EU average.


importing a vehicle



11 0









Would you like to import your vehicle from your home country to Austria or are you already in Austria and have found a vehicle abroad that you would like to import to Austria? An increasing number of consumers buy vehicles abroad online. Savvy shoppers, however, can find great deals at local car lots or vehicles sold by private sellers. Before a used vehicle can be legally admitted to Austria, the vehicle must be examined by the federal state government. After obtaining an individual permit (fees of approximately ₏ 100 apply), the vehicle owner must take the permit to the Tax Office to pay the standard consumption tax. The standard consumption tax is scaled and depending on the average use of the vehicle – will be between 2 percent and 16 percent of the sale price from abroad. The tax office will accept the sale price as stated on the official receipt for a vehicle purchased from a licensed auto dealer. When purchasing a vehicle by a private seller, the tax office may request an official estimated value of the vehicle on which to base the calculation. 109

i m p o r t i n g a Pu r c h a s e d V e h i c l e t o A u s t r ia – P r i v at e Sa l e New Vehicles A vehicle is considered »new« when, at the time of purchase, the vehicle displays less than 6000 kms on the speedometer and the initial activation of the car was less than six months ago. These cars can be imported from EU member countries without any difficulty.

Used Vehicles A vehicle is considered used when, at the time of purchase, the speedometer indicates over 6000 kms and when the vehicle’s initial activation is past a six month period. In order to obtain required permits and legal admittance, ensure the vehicle in question is in good condition and would pass inspection. Inquire about the required documents you will need (particularly for vehicles without a certificate of conformity, data print-out, etc.) For more information, contact: a general representative of vehicle brands in Austria a federal government vehicle inspection agency (for vehicles with no EU typification permit) 110

EU Imports The EU is a customs community and no duty fees apply! The following terms and conditions apply to importing a vehicle from an EU member country to Austria: New vehicle: Do not to pay the value added tax when purchasing the vehicle! These cars will be subject to an acquisition tax in Austria (a form of value added tax). Used vehicles: the value added tax in the country of purchase will be charged directly by the foreign dealer and must not be paid in Austria. Ensure the amount of value added tax is indicated clearly on the bill of sale. Private seller: price according to the bill of sale and the vehicle will not subject to value added tax. In both cases: Transport of the vehicle with foreign transfer license plates as well as a short-term insurance policy (available in the country of purchase); blue trial license plates are not recognized as a transfer license plate! Carefully note and retain all required documentation (such as the bill of sale or net receipt, certificate of conformity, data print-out, foreign title, letter(s) of admission, completed warranty card, service manual, owner’s manual, etc.). In regards to private sales, a notarization of the bill of sale is recommended (by a court or notary abroad). It is not mandatory but could be requested at the licensing office if questions arise regarding the bill of sale’s authenticity. If notarization is required retroactively, problems can ensue, particularly if the seller is unavailable.

EU Operating Permit ( C o C C e r t i f i c a t e ) All new vehicles must have a CoC certificate. Cannot be acquired retroactively Mandatory since 1997


A u s t r ia n T e r m s o f C o n d i t i o n s & R e gu l at i o n s 01 Vehicles with EU operating permits this includes: CoC papers, (foreign) data print-out, foreign title, foreign letter(s) of admission: are permitted in Austria. For the first-time admittance of these vehicles to Austria, the vehicle data must be entered into the authorization databank. The required entry must be made primarily by the authorized manufacturer (exclusive importer). If no longer active or unavailable, the entry must be made by the governor (vehicle inspection agency). If the data has already been entered, a print-out can be issued as a proof of permit for admittance. Requirements for Âťsimplified typificationÂŤ: EU operating permit the vehicle must comply with Austrian vehicle law F e e s : Replacement fee for entering data in the permit database When purchasing a vehicle, note the following: at the time of sale, new vehicles with an EU operating permit must include a declaration of conformity in the original.



Used vehicles with an EU operating permit In member countries that issue a one part letter of admission, the letter of admission must be presented in order to enter the data in the permit database and for vehicle admittance. In member countries where the letters of admission are issued as Part I and Part II, both sections must be presented. Additional: To enter permit data, all vehicles that have not already passed inspection (documentation required) must pass inspection under Austrian law §57a. Documentation that inspection has been passed in a EU membership country will also be accepted (such as a vehicle inspection conducted in Germany). If inspection documentation is not issued in German or English, an official translation must be provided. In lieu of a translation, an Austrian inspection document under §57a stating the vehicle has passed inspection may also be submitted. The vehicle itself must not be presented when simply entering vehicle information into the permit database. After entering the data, ensure that all required taxes have been paid or the vehicle admittance procedure will be stalled.

02 Vehicles without an EU Operating Permit: These vehicles require an individual permit or, depending on the circumstances, special authorization issued by the responsible government typification office. The office will enter the information in the permit database. At the time of purchase and to facilitate the procedure, obtain a complete list of information from the exclusive importer including information on the vehicle. Before importing the vehicle it is highly advisable to discuss the costs of issuing the data record with the importer.



N o t e : In this case, there is no entitlement to a permit. Before importing a vehicle, contact the typification office and inquire as to whether the vehicle can be permitted in Austria as well as what kind of proof/documentation is required. The same applies to vintage cars, classic cars, and individually approved vehicles from abroad! Fees vary according to the type of »permit« (approximately € 180) and depending on the required supporting documentation (data records). In general, the vehicle must be presented to the office. In regards to vehicles that have already been approved abroad, additional inspection in accordance with §57a of the laws governing vehicles 1967 is required if the periodical vehicle assessment is due anyway. Please make an appointment in advance. Acquisition tax for new vehicles (contact your local tax office/use form NOVA 2) Standard consumption tax (=Normverbrauchsabgabe, abbrev. NOVA) applies to all vehicles! (contact your local tax office / use form NOVA 2) (in the form database, enter »NOVA2« in the search field) Approval for admittance is provided by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency or by the automobile club association ÖAMTC (services for members only) Information regarding required documentation can be found at: w w v. a t


S ta n d a r d C o n s u m p t i o n Ta x This fee is to be paid for vehicles admit ted to Austria for the first time, including: new and used vehicles vehicles as a gift or present vehicles that have been inherited when moving. If a vehicle was given to the owner as a gift, has been inherited, or if moving, the vehicle’s current value must be estimated in order to calculate the rate of standard consumption tax. The standard consumption tax must be registered and paid at the corresponding resident tax office before the vehicle can be approved for admittance. The registration confirmation is required to obtain a license plate for the vehicle! Standard consumption tax for motorcycles is calculated according to cylinder capacity (ccm minus 100) x 0.02 E x a m p l e : 850 ccm minus 100 = 750 x 0.02 = 15%


S y s t e m at i c A p p r o a c h Typification at the corresponding state government office Complete the standard consumption tax form NOVA2 (»Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency«) Tax Office (receipts of payment) D r i v e r  &  V e h i c l e L i c e n s i n g A g e n c y 1 s t B o n u s - M a l u s R e g u l a t i o n C O² Vehicle to 120 g CO ² /km: bonus of € 300 120 – 160 g/km: no change

Starting at 160 g/km: for each additional gram of CO ² over 160 an additional € 25 malus! F o r v e h i c l e s w i t h o u t C O² s p e c i f i c a t i o n s , t h e f o l lowing applies: if there are no CO ² specifications but consumption data available, then a fictitious value will be calcuated: Petrol (or other fuel): CO ² = consumption x 25 Diesel: CO ² = consumption x 28 if both CO ² specifications and consumption data are unavailable, at first the fictitious consumption will be calculated with another replacement formula: Petrol: a tenth of engine output in carbon hydride, plus 3 Diesel: a tenth of the engine output in carbon hydride plus 2. New Bonus-Malus Regulations according to NOx a n d  P a r t i c l e s  & a l t e r n a t i v e E n g i n e s Petrol vehicles max. 60 mg NO x /km: bonus of € 200 Diesel vehicle max. 80 mg NO x /km and particles of max. 0,005g/km: bonus € 200 116


Alternative engines: bonus € 500 (against calculation with actual exhaust emissions, applies to: hybrid vehicles, E85, natural gas, liquid gas, hydrogen) Bonus amount in a total of: max. € 500. Malus amounts are unlimited. Change in Bonus-Malus Regulations for New Diesel V e h i c l e s : As of July 1st 2008 there will be no bonus for fewer emissions, the malus for higher emissions remains at a fixed rate of € 300 per vehicle (no expiration date). D r i v e r  &  V e h i c l e Li c e n s i n g A g e n c y ( »T y p i s i e r u n g s s t e l l e n « ) More information on the issuance of individual permits can be found at: w w w . c o m e 2 u p p e r a u s t r i a . c o m V e h i c l e s w i t h F o r e ig n Li c e n s e P l a t e s Use of a vehicle (or trailer) displaying foreign license plates is permitted for a maximum of one year (from the time the vehicle enters Austria) provided the owner’s primary residence is not in Austria. If moving to Austria and declaring Austria as primary residence, the vehicle or trailer may only display foreign plates for a month. The plates must then be relinquished to the Austrian authorities and replaced with Austrian plates which also require official admittance of the vehicle. N o t e : For the admittance of vehicles without an EU operating permit, an individual permit or, for vehicles with an EU operating permit, data entry in the permit database is required. As requirements can vary individually, please contact the vehicle inspection agency directly or your vehicle importer.


schools, e d u c a t i o n  &  c h i l d c a r e a n o v e r v i e w o f t h e au s t r ia n e d u c at i o n s ys t e m

12 1

i n t e r n a t i o n a l k i n d e r ga r t e n  &  the lisa school in linz

12 8

gr ades

12 9

s c h o o l h o l i d a y s  &  au t o n o m o u s holidays

13 2

h ig h e r e d u c a t i o n o p t i o n s a f t e r p a s s i n g s c h o o l- l e av i n g e x a m i n at i o n s 13 3 n os t r i fi c at i o n o f a n ac a d e m i c degree and/or gr ades


13 5

e x t r a c u r r i c u l ua r a c t i v i t i e s f o r children

13 5

child care

14 0

r e gi s t e r i n g f o r a K I G A c r è c h e 


f a m i l i e s i n u p p e r au s t r ia

14 8

p a r e n t - c h i l d c e n t e r s i n u p p e r au s t r ia

14 9

a d d i t i o n a l o r ga n i z e d a s s o c ia t i o n s f o r c h i l d r e n  &  t e e n s 

14 9

mothers’ centers

15 0

c h i l d c a r s e at l aw s

15 0

b a b y s w i m c l a s s e s  &  s w i m m i n g lessons for children


Upper Austria has a broad education system and excellent schools. From kindergarten to university, parents can select from schools that focus on a variety of core educational areas. Extracurricular activities include programs organized by daycare facilities as well as various recreational activities.


University of Applied Siences


18 17 16

ahS Secondary Academic School

BhS Secondary Academic School

BMS Secondary Technical & Vocational School

BS Vocational School

PTS Polytechnic School

15 13 12

Hauptschule Lower Secondary Level School

AHS Unterstufe Lower Level Academic School

(new: trial programs for all-day school)

11 10 9 8

Volksschule / Grundschule Primary School

Sonderschule Special Needs School


7 6 5


4 3 2 1 0 120

Kinderkrippe Chrèche / Nursery School

Vorschule (vorzeitiger Schulbeginn) Preperation Year for 5 year olds (optional)

9 years of compulsory education


Vocational Training

A N OVERV I EW OF THE A U STR I A N ED U C AT I ON SYSTEM Compulsory Education in Austria Children residing primarily in Austria are required by law to attend school. Children who are age 6 by September 1st are required to begin formal education at school for a mandatory period of nine years. Parents can opt to send their child(ren) to a public school or to a private school. Public schools are as follows: Grades 1 – 4: primary school (»Volksschule«) Grades 5 – 8: selection to attend either a lower secondary school (»Hauptschule«) or the lower level of an academic secondary school (the »Unterstufe« at an AHS school) Grade 9: enrollment at a polytechnic school or completion of advanced level academic secondary school, or a middle or advanced-level secondary vocational school. Primary School »Grundschule«, »Volksschule« ( VS) Registration Procedures The child’s parent or legal guardian must register the school-age child at the primary school of choice. School registration takes place in Upper Austria in November before the beginning of the next school year. Children who reside primarily in Austria, and whose parents or legal guardians reside primarily in Austria, must register their child at school. The child will be briefly tested to determine if he/she is ready to learn in a formal learning environment or be tested at a later date.


an overview of the au s t r ia n e d u c a t i o n s y s t e m

Starting School at an Earlier Age Children who turn six after the September 1 cut-off date and before March 1 of the following year may be permitted to begin primary school early. Requirements include passing assessment tests to determine if the child is ready to learn in a formal learning environment. In Austria, your child will have the same teacher during his/her entire period in primary school (grade 1 – 4). This will change in secondary school and children will have different teachers for different subjects. There are two types of secondary schools to choose from. Lower Secondary School »Hauptschule« Registration requirements include the successful completion of primary school. For classes in German, mathematics and a living foreign language there are different levels of instruction and students will be assigned to classes according to his/her ability and academic performance. Gifted students as well as students with learning disabilities can opt to participate in specially designed education courses. Laws governing the autonomy of Austrian schools allow each school to offer courses that focus on local topics as well as the students’ interests and talents (foreign languages, sports, technology, natural sciences, music, art, ecology,…) In the 7th and 8th school year, schools provide detailed information on professional careers in preparation of either continuing school or working. Special forms of lower secondary schools offer an expansive selection of education programs such as schools that focus on sports (»Sporthauptschulen«) or music (»Musikhauptschulen«). 122

an overview of the au s t r ia n e d u c a t i o n s y s t e m

P o l y t e c h n i c S c h o o l ( PTS ) »Polytechnische Schule« Students can enroll in a PTs school in the 9th school year or in a voluntary 10th school year designed to prepare students to enter the job market. The student’s selected occupational field is supported by visits to companies in that field, support provided by people working in that field as well as practice oriented training at companies, external institutions and apprenticeship workshops. The student can select an occupational area of interest and aptitude in seven areas (metalworking, electrical, woodworking, construction, office and administrative fields, service areas and tourism). The school provides in-depth general education and focuses on the students’ interests and proficiency level. S p e c ia l N e e d s S c h o o l »Sonderschule« Special needs schools are designed to provide additional support for children with learning disabilities and handicaps. Students are subject to a different curriculum and are taught by specially trained and educated teachers. There are special curricula designed particularly for children who are mentally disabled, slow learners, blind, deaf, linguistically challenged or those with severe disabilities. Special needs school also provide students with a vocational preparation year. Students are encouraged and taught to develop their personal and professional perspectives.


an overview of the au s t r ia n e d u c a t i o n s y s t e m

I n t e g r at i o n Integrative curricula and education for students with special needs combined with regular students support learning and working together in the same environment. Primary schools, lower level secondary schools and lower level academic secondary schools support integrative classes. Secondary Ac ademic School » A ll g e m e i n b il d e n d e H ö h e r e S c h u l e « ( A H S ), » G y m n a s iu m« Higher lever schools are eight years total of education and are divided into two parts; four years of »lower level« education and four years of »upper level«. Students graduate by successfully passing the Austrian »Matura« school-leaving certificate. Students must qualify to attend by successfully completing grade 4 in primary school (»Volksschule«). Grades for German/Reading and Mathematics must be either a »1« (»Sehr gut«) or »2« (»Gut«). For students with a grade of »3« (»Befriedigend«), a commission will render a decision as to whether or not the child qualifies to attend an AHS school. If the requirements are not met, the child can also take a qualifying examination. Forms of general education higher level schools »Gymnasium« (Austrian high school with a focus on Latin) »Realgymnasium« (Austrian high school with a focus on natural sciences and mathematics) »Wirtschaftskundliches Realgymnasium« (Austrian high school with a focus on business related topics, home economics and nutrition, geography and economics, internship) »Oberstufenrealgymnasium« (from 9th grade up, focus on fine arts, languages or Latin)


an overview of the au s t r ia n e d u c a t i o n s y s t e m

In addition, there are numerous special educational programs that focus intensively on sports or music, for example. After the 8th class, students may opt to switch to a 3-year or a 5-year technical vocational training college. V o c a t i o n a l S c h o o l s ( BS ) Vocational school – compulsory schools offering dual vocational training system (school subjects and an apprenticeship) Students must attend the vocational school while completing an apprenticeship School attendance is scheduled by day once a week or blocked in an eight-week period. 0 1 S e c o n d a r y T e c h n i c a l  &  V o c a t i o n a l S c h o o l ( B M S – G r a d e s 5 t o 12 ) Vocational middle school, 1 to 4 years. Students who have successfully completed the 8th class may attend a BMS school. 0 2 S e c o n d a r y T e c h n i c a l  &  V o c a t i o n a l H i g h S c h o o l o r c o l l e g e ( B H S – G r a d e 9 t o 13 ) In addition to a sound 5-year general education curriculum, students receive vocational training. After successfully passing the school-leaving examination (Matura) and a diploma examination, students may enroll in a degree program at an Austrian university. Types of BHS schools: HTL, Higher Technical and Commerce Institute College of Fashion Design and Dressmaking, College of Arts College of Tourism 125

an overview of the au s t r ia n e d u c a t i o n s y s t e m

Commercial College Secondary College for Economic Professions Secondary College for Agriculture and Forestry Educational Institute for Kindergarten Teacher Training Educational Institute for Social Pedagogy

Alternative Forms of School N e w Mi d d l e S c h o o l s  &  A l l - Da y Schools The middle school is a general school for 10 to 14 year olds. The goal is to create a new, combined culture of learning by implementing more contemporary pedagogic concepts. This new type of school focuses on each student’s talents and interests. The new middle school is subject to the curriculum of lower level AHS schools. Defined educational standards facilitate objective grading and provide a comparison of academic performance. Classes at the new middle schools are taught by both lower secondary level school teachers and AHS teachers. Each student develops an individual curriculum with a qualified teacher. Children have enough time and academic support to learn the material at their own pace. Fu l l - Ti m e P r o g r a m s Many of the new middle schools will also be full-time schools. The daily routine at the new middle school consists of phases of intensive instruction with recess in between and time for children to socially interact. After-school care is provided during the afternoon and supervised by teachers. In addition to everyday learning and academic subjects, students should also have free time for social interaction and play. Reducing class sizes to a minimum of 25 students ensures that teachers can divide their 126

an overview of the au s t r ia n e d u c a t i o n s y s t e m

attention among each child. The new middle schools embrace the new challenges of an increasingly multi-cultural society and aim to improve support services for students with immigrant backgrounds. The potential for children with immigrant backgrounds can be better developed during the course of intercultural dialogue. Programs for children and teens with special needs include special education curriculum and better integration in the middle school. For detailed information and the locations of the new middle schools, see: w w w.neuemit

P r i vat e S c h o o l s Private schools account for approximately 8% of the total number of schools in Austria. Most publicly authorized private schools are denominational schools. Some schools teach according to a particular system or apply philosophical educational methods. In general, private schools charge tuition and fees. Public schools is free of charge. The quality of education at Austrian public schools is generally quite good compared to other education systems in Europe.


ers each ia n t r y.« t l s d u n e »A  &  f r i n o , I t a l y d e i f i ia Graz q ua l Rona



I n t e r n at i o n a l Ki n d e r ga r t e n  & t h e L I S A S c h o o l i n Li n z The accredited International Baccalaureate (IB) Program has been designed to accommodate children from kindergarten age to the graduation of a higher level school. Linz is currently working on the conversion of this three-tier system. 0 1 I B P r i m a r y Y e a r s P r o g r a m ( PYP ) f o r s c h o o l s t u d e n t s f r o m ag e s 3 t o 10 in 2008, the first international kindergarten in Linz for 3 to 6 year olds (International Kindergarten Upper Austria IKU) opened. The curriculum is coordinated with the IB Primary Years Program and includes basic language and mathematics instruction taught through games, songs and interactive activities. Teacher focus in particular on teaching social and emotional competence skills. In 2008, the pilot project » I n t e r n a t i o n a l e S c h u l e L I S A J u n i o r« for six to ten year olds opened its doors at the city primary school Auhof. The LISA Junior School is a public primary school and all subjects are taught in English. The teaching concept is based on the Primary Years Program of the International Baccalaureate Organization.


Ki n d e rg a r t e n c h i l d re n a t p l a y ( O Ö.We r b u n g/W e i s s e n b r u n n e r)

0 2 I B Mi d d l e Y e a r s P r o g r a m m e ( MYP ) f o r S c h o o l S t u d e n t s f r o m 10 t o 16 ye a r s o l d in 1992 the Linz International School Auhof (LISA) was established as a bilingual sector of the Europagymnasiums Auhof. The school follows the Austrian curriculum, whereby IB subjects from the IB curriculum program are also offered. Students are taught in a multi-class course system and have an opportunity to complete both the Austrian Matura school-leaving examination and the IB diploma. 0 3 I B Di p l o m a P r o g r a m ( DP ) f o r S c h o o l S t u d e n t s a t a g e 17 a n d 18 since November 1997 the Linz International School Auhof (LISA) offers students the opportunity to graduate with a International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma.

Gr ades The following grades are awarded to assess a student’s academic performance: Very Good

Sehr Gut
















Nicht Genügend



The grade of »1« means » V e r y G o o d « and is awarded to students who surpass the expectations and demands of course requirements, submit excellent work, and who can exercise independence as well as apply skills and newly acquired knowledge successfully when confronted with new tasks and assignments.



The grade of »2« means » G o o d « and is awarded to students who fulfil expectations in accordance with the curriculum and course requirements, including all assignments and tasks above the magnitude required and who can exercise independence as well as apply skills and newly acquired knowledge successfully when confronted with new tasks and assignments. The grade of »3« means » S a t i s f a c t o r y « and is awarded to students who, despite fulfilling the expectations of the course curriculum and course requirements including all assignments and tasks, display shortcomings in academic performance and a lack of ability to work independently. The grade of »4« means » P a s s « , meaning the students’ academic performance in accordance with the specifications in the curriculum and application of material as well as completion of all assignments and tasks in the most important areas has been generally fulfilled. The grade of »5« means » F a i l « and means the students has not fulfilled the requirements to attain the grade of »4«. The basis of the performance assessment is performance appraisal.

The Consequences of a Failing Grade In general, a student may advance to the next grade if his/her report card: contains positive grades in all other subjects and, if the grade of »5« was not awarded in a compulsory subject. E x c e p t i o n s : School students in primary school and special needs schools may advance to the next grade regardless of grades awarded for the following mandatory subjects: music education, art, writing, educational Sloyd (technical/textiles workshops), nutrition and home economics as well as physical education. 130


School students in grade 1 in primary school may advance to the next grade regardless of report card grades. School students in lower secondary vocational schools, AHS, BMS or BMHS schools may advance to the next grade even if they have a »5« in a compulsory subject in their final report card but the student may not have received a »5« in previous year’s report card in the same compulsory subject, the respective compulsory subject – aside from vocational schools – is included in the higher level grade curriculum and a teachers’ conference determines that due to the student’s performance in other compulsory subjects, the requirements for successful participation in the next grade level is given (this depends on the type of school). Students who fail a compulsory performance-oriented subject at a lower level vocational school may advance to the next grade, however the student must attend the lower level of that particular compulsory subject. R e - Si t E x a m i n a t i o n s With the exception of primary school, students may re-sit examinations in one or two compulsory subjects in which he/she received a failing grade the year before. Re-sit examinations take place before the beginning of the following new school year.


S c h o o l H o l i d a y s  &  A u to n o m o us H o l i days School holidays and autonomously designated school holidays vary in each Austrian province.

Holidays In Upper Austria, the school year begins on the second Monday of September and ends on Friday, July 4th at the earliest but no later than July 10th. The s c h o o l s u m m e r h o l i d a y s begin on the Saturday following the last day of school; July 5th at the earliest but no later than July 11th. The C h r i s t m a s h o l i d a y s begin on December 24th and end after January 6th. The semester break week in Upper Austria is the third Monday in February and lasts one week. E a s t e r b r e a k begins on the Monday before Easter Sunday and ends on the Tuesday after Easter Monday (9 days). At P e n t e c o s t , only the Tuesday after Whit Monday is a school holiday. In addition to all legally designated holidays, May 4th, dedicated to the province’s patron S a i n t F l o r i a n , is also a school holiday.

Autonomous School Holidays The school forum and/or school committee can designate four school holidays in the interest of scholastic or other public occasions during the school year. Each year in Upper Austria two school free days are recommended by the school forum or committee.


Hig h e r E d u c at i o n O p t i o n s a f t e r Pa s s i n g S c h o o l- L e a v i n g E x a m i n at i o n s To enroll at an institution of higher education in Austria, students must have successfully passed the Austrian School-Leaving Examination (»Matura«), Vocational Matriculation Examination (»Berufsreifeprüfung«), or the University Enrollment Eligibility Examination (»Studienberechtigungsprüfung«).

Opportunities in Higher Education 01 T wo -Y e a r College s Academies in health services are located at hospitals and provide higher level education for occupations in the health field. Upper Austria: Linz, Wels, Steyr 0 2 P e d ag o gi c U n i v e r s i t i e s 6 semester teacher training program degree awarded: Bachelor’s Teacher training for primary school, lower level secondary school, special needs schools, and polytechnic schools Teacher training to teach nutrition and home economic subjects Teacher training to teach technical and commercial subjects (theory and practice) Teacher training to teach word processing Teacher training to teach religion Upper Austria: Linz (»Pädagogische Hochschule des Bundes« and the »private Pädagogische Hochschule der Diözese«) Information available at: w w w . p h d l . a t and w w w . p h - o o e . a t


Hig h e r E d u c a t i o n options

03 U n i v er si t i e s o f A ppl i ed Sci en ce s Universities of Applied Sciences provide scientific and academic degree programs focused strongly on occupation fields. Academic Degree Programs Bachelor’s degree program (6 semesters) degree awarded: Bachelor’s Diploma Degree Program (8 semesters) degree awarded: Mag. (FH) or Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Master’s degree program (4 semesters), continuation of a Bachelor’s degree program degree awarded: Master’s Upper Austria: Universities of Applied Sciences in Linz, Wels, Steyr, and Hagenberg Information at: w w w . f h - o o e . a t 04 Universities Diploma Degree Programs Bachelor and Master’s Degree Programs Doctorate Studies Upper Austria: Johannes Kepler University: w w w . j k u . a t University for Art and Industrial Design Linz: w w w . u f g . a c . a t Anton Bruckner Privat University for Music, Drama & Dance: w w w.bruck

Catholic-Theological Private University Linz: w w w.k

0 5 P o s t g r a d ua t e E d u c a t i o n Austrian Business School LIMAK: w w w . l i m a k . a t Wifi: w w w . w i f i . a t 134

Hig h e r E d u c a t i o n options

N o s t r i f i c at i o n o f a n Ac a d e m i c D e g r e e a n d/o r Gr ades Before moving to Austria, inquire at the Austrian embassy or consulate in your home country as to whether or not your academic degree is recognized in Austria.

E x t r a c u r r i c u l ua r Ac tivities for Children Whether an early childhood music class, learning to play an instrument, singing, dancing, theater or ballet, various schools and institutions in Linz offer courses and workshops for children of all ages. Courses are held in small groups or can be taught in individual sessions. Children can learn more about the world of music and theatre as well as move up to more advanced classes.

Dance Schools Linz Ballet School Prof. Wilk-Mutard Bethlehemstraße 24, 4020 Linz 43 (0)732/779366 Courses for children age 4+

Ballet at York Studios Gesellenhausstraße 7, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/777705 w w w.y o r k s t u di o s . a t

Ballet School – Maestro Bismarckstraße 18, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/771176

Dance Studio – Perform Dance Hauptstraße 18 43 (0)732/654328

w w w.maes tro

w w w.per

Dance Classes for Children age 4+ Classical Dance for Children ages 7+ Modern Dance for Children age 7+ Tap Dance for Children age 8+

Dance courses for children between 4-6 years old and 7-12 years old Participation in adult courses possible for those age 13+ 135

E x t r a c u r r i c u l ua r Activities for Children

Dance School Horn Marienstraße 8, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/783828 w w Mini Dance Courses for Children age 4+ Creative Dance for Children age 6+ Jazz and Tap for Children age 6+ Ballet Classes for Children age 6+ Breakdance for Children age 8+ Latin Dance for Children age 8+ uvm.

Anton Bruckner University Dance Workshop Upper Austria Wildbergstraße 18, 4040 Linz +43 (0)732/731306-17 w w w.bruck Children’s Dance Courses for children age 5+ Classical Ballet for children age 10+ Tap Dance for children age 10+

VHS, Tower of Knowledge Kärntnerstraße 26, 4020 Linz 43 (0)732/7070-4305 w w / V H S Dance classes include: Jazz, Classical Ballet , Pre-Ballet, etc.

CULTURE » K U DDELM U DDEL « C h i l d r e n ’ s C u l t u r e C e n t e r The Children’s Culture Center offers many programs for small children. The culture center not only offers theater performance especially for children, but also many interesting workshops, exhibitions, special projects, guest performances and more. Submit your name and address on the center’s mailing list to receive a current program of events and activities. O f f i c e h o u r s : Tuesday to Friday, 10:00 to 16:00 T i c k e t o f f i c e h o u r s : Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 12:00 to 16:00 Langgasse 13, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/ 600444 w w


0 1 » Ku d d e l m u d d e l« C h i l d re n’s C u l t u re C e n t e r ( M a g i s t ra t Li n z) 0 2+ 0 4 A c t i v i t i e s f o r c h i l d re n 0 3 C h i l d re n a t p l a y ( 0 2,0 3,04: O Ö.W e r b u n g/E r b e r)

E x t r a c u r r i c u l ua r Activities for Children

01 02




E x t r a c u r r i c u l ua r Activities for Children

» THE A TER DES K I NDES « C h i l d r e n ’ s T h e a t e r Contemporary, witty, bold theater performances for young folks to laugh and contemplate as well as reflect upon. Almost all plays can also be performed outside of the theater. Theater staff also offers »theater pedagogic« – experience something different at the theater: perform, try out your acting skills and learn! C a l l f o r p r i c e s , i n f o r m a t i o n  &  d a t e s : Helen Isaacson +43 (0)732/605255-2

Langgasse 13, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/605255 w w w.t h e a t e r- d e s - k i n d e s . a t

Li n z e r Pu p p e n t h e a t e r » L i n z P u p p e t T h e a t e r« Traditional puppet theater featuring fun and easy to understand stories for children and performed playfully. Children ages 3 and up are encouraged to actively participate. P e r f o r m a n c e s every Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturday & Sundays beginning at 15:00. Special performances available by request.

Langgasse 13, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/602258 w w w. p u p p e n t h e a t e r. a t

PHÖN I X THE A TER The theater offers performances for teens and young children. Discount tickets are available for school-age children and school groups. Wienerstraße 25, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/666 500 (ticket sales) w w w.t h e a t e r- p h o e n i x . a t


u / h o f : THE A TER FOR YO U N G A U D I ENCES The Linz State Theater offers a number of free »theater pedagogy« courses for all levels of school classes. Venues are located basement of the Ursulinenhof. Landstraße 31, 4020 Linz +43 (0)800/218000-8 w w

DANCE MT A ( M u s i c a l T h e a t r e A c a d e m y ) Landesmusikschule Puchenau, Schulstraße 1, 4048 Puchenau w w w.musicalplanet .at

T h e a t e r P e d ag o gi c f o r C h i l d r e n Theater productions created by children and teens in collaboration with artists and participation in educational courses focusing on theatre pedagogic and acting. Wolf Dorner, 4600 Wels, Quergasse 1 w w w.theaterpaedagogik .at

State Music School of Upper Austria The State Music School is active in the region as an indispensable »musical provider« and is well-established in many local cultural centers. In the past thirty years, the State Music School in Upper Austria has been a turntable of Austrian cultural life. Endowed with a general educational mandate, the school is a cultural outlet and educational institution as well as a center of creativity and dedication. For more information, see: w w 139

C h i l d Ca r e Child care is one of many topics for parents to consider. Parents planning to return to work need information on all child care options.

Forms of Child Care Available The following forms of child care to consider include: 0 1 Crèche/nursery school for children under 3 years of age 0 2 Kindergartens 0 3 In-Home Child Care 0 4 Children’s Groups 0 5 Child Care offered at the Universities 0 6 Personal Babysitter 0 7 Volunteer »Grandmas and Grandpas« 0 8 A fter-School Center and Schools with All Day Supervision for School-Age Children At the beginning of the 2009/2010 kindergarten year, each Austrian province agreed to cover the half-day cost of every child’s last year in Kindergarten. Inquire in advance about child care near you, visit the day care facilities and speak with the responsible persons as well as with other parents, particularly if your child has special needs. 140

child care

0 1 C r è c h e / Nu r s e r y S c h o o l f o r Children Under the Age of 3 Crèches and nursery schools provide day care for children under the age of 3. These facilities are specially equipped for the needs of infants and small children. Children are cared for in small, individual groups and in close cooperation with parents. Créche/nursery school fees depend on the crèche/nursery school’s supporting organization parents’ income the time period the child will spend at the crèche/nursery school Children in this age group can also be cared for by an in-home caregiver. 0 2 Ki n d e r ga r t e n s Kindergartens have long been valuable institutions of early childhood learning, providing young children opportunities to socially interaction with peers and learn through creative play. Since the beginning of the kindergarten year 2009/2010, Austria introduced legislation declaring the last year of kindergarten (20 hours per week, without lunch) to be free (paid for by the government) for five year olds. Since September 2009, the last year of kindergarten before beginning primary school is mandatory for all children. Kindergarten facilities are owned and operated by local communities and Magistrates (public kindergartens), various associations, churches, Caritas (private kindergartens) as well as by companies that provide in-house child care. Public Kindergartens To register your child at a public kindergarten, contact your local municipal office or Magistrate. In some cases you can register your child directly at the kindergarten. In some communities and cities, kindergarten fees are scaled based on parents’ income. 141

child care

01 02




child care

Private Kindergartens If you opt to place your child in a private kindergarten, it is best to personally visit the kindergarten facility and speak directly with the managing director. You can either register at the kindergarten directly or through the kindergarten’s support organization. Company Kindergartens Company kindergartens are located either on company property or very close by and available to company employees. 0 3 I n - H o m e Da y Ca r e In-home child care providers open their home to care for other families’ children. These child care providers can give your child more individual attention as well as offer more flexible hours than crèches, kindergartens or children’s groups. In-home child care providers offer a child a family environment. They cook, entertain children and provide toys. In-home child care providers require a state-issued permit and must be certified. In most Austrian provinces, they are required to prove some degree of pedagogic education and must attend further education courses. For more details on in-home child care by a child care provider, contact: Bundesverband der österreichischen Tagesmüttervereine w w

In-Home Child Care in Linz In-home child care providers, called a »Tagesmutter«, care for their own children as well as other children for a full day, half-day or by hour.

0 1 S p e n d i n g t i m e w i t h a c a re g i v e r ( O Ö.W e r b u n g/E r b e r) 0 2 C h i l d p l a y i n g b y a f o u n t a i n a t t h e m a i n s q u a re, H a u p t p l a t z, Li nz ( M a g i s t ra t Li n z) 0 3 S i b l i n g a f f e c t i o n 0 4 S h a r i n g i s c a r i n g ! ( 0 3, 04: s c re e n t e a m p r i v a t)


child care

In Linz, the agency »Aktion Tagesmütter Oberösterreich« is responsible for: placing children with an in-home child care provider educating and training child care providers employing child care providers Aktion Tagesmütter Raimundstraße 10, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/6922 7780 w w w.t a g e s m u e t t e r. k i n d e r p l a t t f o r m . i n f o

In-Home Child Care Providers in Upper Austria w w w.t a g e s m u e t t e r- o o e . o r g

04 Children’s groups Children’s groups are a parent initiative and an alternative to institutional kindergarten facilities. Initiated, founded and managed in collaboration with parents, children are cared for in small groups – six to 15 children in accordance to age – catering closely to their individual needs. Parent cooperation is required in areas of organization and pedagogic issues as well as everyday tasks (such as preparing meals, performing small repairs and cleaning). The groups are financed by parent contributions, public subsidies and, in some cases, such as when women return to work, partially by child care support benefits. 0 5 C h i l d Ca r e Fa c i l i t i e s a t t h e Universities Child care availability for university students is a central issue, particularly so students can complete their academic degree studies. Parenthood presents students with different set of demands in regards to juggling child care, family responsibilities, work and studying. 144

child care

Most Austrian universities have child care facilities and options for students are available through the university or by the Austrian student union. 0 6 Ba b y s i t t e r s If you would rather your child not go to a child care facility on a regular basis but you still require child care on an hourly basis, hiring a babysitter for those few hours may be an option. Babysitters can provide individual care in the child’s own familiar surroundings and environment. If you require babysitter services often, the »Volunteer Grandma or Grandpa« program may an option as well. 0 7 T h e V o l u n t e e r G r a n d m a / G r a n d p a Program Some families lack the presence of grandparents who can sometimes watch children for a few hours a day, pick them up from kindergarten, school or from an after-school day care facility, and provide child care if parents must work or go out in the evenings. The »Volunteer Grandma/Grandpa« program was created and pairs older, physically and mentally fit persons with young families. The goal is to help establish a continual, familiar relationship between the family and the »volunteer« grandparent. A volunteer grandma/ grandpa is someone who can give their time and attention to a child. 08 A  f t e r - S c h o o l C e n t e r  &  S c h o o l s w i t h A l l Da y Su p e r v i s i o n f o r S c h o o l- A g e C h i l d r e n A f t e r n o o n D a y C a r e f o r S c h o o l - A g e C h i l d r e n Where can children go in the afternoons after school when parents are still working? In addition to afternoon day care facilities and private child care options, there are a few options for school-age children.


child care C h i l d a t p l a y ( O Ă–.W e r b u n g/W e i s s e n b r u n n e r)

For more information on local afternoon child care for school-age children, please contact the school service office at the State Education Authority of Upper Austria: w w w . g t s . e d u h i . a t A f t e r- S c h o o l D a y C a r e ( = H o r t ) After-school day care facilities provide supervised child care for primary school aged children. Teachers help students with their homework and organize educational activities. These facilities are primarily for single parents and working parents as well as those who wish to provide their children with additional learning and homework support after school. Experienced teachers work together with children and address learning issues as well as and self-development. They provide children with many social and cognitive learning activities as well as organized, individual care and support. F e e s are scaled based on parents’ income, making attendance at a facility in the city socially affordable. Link to kindergartens and afternoon child care facilities in Upper Austria w w w.ooe -k indernet .at


Babysitters and Au-Pairs w w w.k / index.php w w / k inderbetreuung / index. htm

Child Care w w w.drehscheibe -k / ? K inderbetreuung

Play Groups, Parenting, and Breast Feeding Support Groups Additional Information on the Integration in Austria w w w.bmi.g v. a t /cms / B M I _ S er v ic e / I n t e gr a t io n s s t u die.pdf 146

r st yea ree la »T h e f s a b ig i n e t r d e r ga t ag e . « of kin a d va n , China Liu Yi

R e gi s t e r i n g f o r a KIGA Crèche If you intend to return to work three years after the birth of your child, it is highly recommended to register at the local municipal office or Magistrate for a spot in a crèche (for children from ages 1 ½ to 3 years old) after the child’s birth. Priority spots will be given to families where both parents work at least 20 hours a week. Parents registering children at private care facilities under the same circumstances also have priority. Fees are scaled in accordance to parents’ income. For more information on fees, please see: p o r t a l.linz.g v. a t


K i n d e r, J u g e n d l i c h e u n d F a m i l i e Ta r i f e Stadt Linz

Service A–Z Krabbelstuben der

Since the 2009 introduction of the free kindergarten year for five year olds, availability at local kindergartens has improved. New facilities have opened and existing facilities have expanded. If you prefer your child attends a certain facility, register your child there early. 147

Fa m i l i e s i n U p p e r A u s t r ia , I n f o r m at i o n f o r Fa m i l i e s , t h e U p p e r A u s t r ia n Fa m i ly Ca r d A family’s quality of life and well-being depends on many things, including the immediate environment and living space. Family policies by the Austrian government and the province of Upper Austria place importance on family oriented ideas and initiatives at local levels.

The Upper Austrian Family Card The Upper Austrian Family card is available to families that receive government family benefits. The Upper Austrian Family Card provides family discounts and many other advantages such as shopping discounts and family-friendly services. The card entitles families in Upper Austria to discounts between 5 percent and 50 percent at sports and sporting events, recreational activities, cultural events, gastronomy, hotels, for trade and services as well as education and counselling services. You can apply for the card online at: w w w.familienk ar


The site also provides information on current deals and a location list of where to use the card as well as information on family benefits.

A f a m i l y h i k e i n t h e D a c h s t e i n re g i o n ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s)

Pa r e n t- C h i l d C e n t e r s i n U p p e r A u s t r ia Parent-Child Centers aim to improve child and family friendliness in a social and political environment, strengthen the family as a unit, and provide support groups and information for parents. They allow for early childhood contact in groups. Most Parent-Child centers offer playgroups classes for small children, support groups and counseling services for parents, baby massage courses, etc. Most centers have facilities and space that can be rented to hold children’s birthday parties. For more information on Parent-Child Centers please see: w w w.elternk indzentrum-

A d d i t i o n a l O r ga n i z e d A s s o c iat i o n s f o r C h i l d r e n  &  T e e n s »Kinderfreunde of Upper Austria« (Playgroups) w w w.k inder

Boy Scouts & Girl Guides of Upper Austria w w w. o o e . p f a d f i n d e r. a t

Catholic Youth Group w w w. j u n g s c h a r. a t


0 1+ 0 2 W e t f u n a t t h e p o o l (b o t h: s c re e n t e a m p r i v a t)

M ot h er s’ Cen t er s These centers are overseen by local pediatricians and general practitioners providing parents with free medical examinations for infants and small children as well as advice on child development issues, care, diet, and nutrition. p o r t a l.linz.g v. a t Bßrgerservice Service A –Z Eltern und Mutterberatung Schwangerschaf t und Gebur t

C h i l d Ca r S e at La w s Children under the age of 14 and/or under 150 cms in height must be buckled in safely in a vehicle (infant seat, convertible seat, booster seat). Children under the age of 14 but over 150 cms in height must be buckled in safely with a lap and shoulder belt. N o t e : As of January 1th 2007, child safety seats must comply with regulations under ECE 44, version 03. For more information on ECE 44, child restraint systems, purchasing a child safety seat, etc., please see: w w w.autok inder sit

N o t e : Non-observance and non-compliance with child safety regulations is considered an offense. Receiving two official warnings on violating child safety laws will result in measures taken such as having to attend a course on vehicle safety laws.




Ba b y S w i m C l a s s e s  &  Swimming Lessons for Children Newborns are already familiar with the sensation of floating as experienced in the mother’s womb and thus enjoy baby swimming classes with their parents (beginning at age 4 mos). The water’s buoyancy facilitates movements that easier to execute and maintain than outside of the water. Water stimulates the baby’s movements, skills and senses, and provides new impressions to support the baby’s mental absorbing capacity. Baby swimming classes are not designed teach infants how to swim, but rather they provide an opportunity for playful interaction and exercise in the water between parents, infant and other children. w w w.nes

Baby swim classes and classes for small children under A B A g u i d e l i n e s are offered at the following locations in Upper Austria w w w.aus / kur sor te /oberoes terreich. html


h e a l t h  &  s o c ia l s e r v i c e s


h e a lt h c a r e s y s t e m

15 4

co - i nsu r i n g t h e fa m i ly

15 6

vacc i n at i o ns

15 8

l a w s i n r e ga r d s t o t u b e r c u l o s i s  e x a m i n at i o ns

16 0

c o n t a c t  &  e m e r g e n c i e s 


h e a l t h i n s u r a n c e c o v e r ag e a b r o a d 

16 2

a lt e r n at i v e t r e at m e n t s i n u p p e r au s t r ia

16 4

s e r v i c e s f o r m e n  &  w o m e n 

16 5

fa m i ly si ck l e av e

16 6

nursing care allowance


i n t h e e v e n t o f d e at h

16 8

Austria’s health care system is among one of the best in Europe. A recent study by the Swedish organization Health Consumer Powerhouse confirmed that patients in Austria experience low waiting times and are medically well taken care of. Austria has the best cancer survival rate on the continent. Many factors contribute to Austria’s top ranking in health care, including low waiting periods to see a physician or, in cases of acute illness requiring surgery, direct access to physicians and good results after treatment. A patient can make an appointment to see a physician on the same day. The waiting period for cancer patients to undergo radiation or chemotherapy is under three weeks.


H e a lt h Ca r e S y s t e m Each Austrian »Bundesland« (province) has its own health care administration services and each district has a health office. Larger cities and towns are legally obligated to employ a general practitioner. Please consult your local doctor regarding office hours. In principle, anyone insured in Austria is entitled to access facilities and services provided by Austria’s health care service (medical examinations, preventive medical examinations, maternity examinations, pulmonary examinations, etc.). The costs are borne by the Austrian social insurance system or the social insurance system in your home country. The health insurance fund covers the costs of doctor visits, subsidizes the cost of prescription medication (currently € 5 per prescription per patient) and hospitalization (€ 10 fee per patient per day), as well as provides health benefits following termination by an employer. Your first stop is to contact your local general practitioner who can conduct a general medical examination including a basic blood test, ECG exam, and a general physical. If necessary, your doctor may refer you to see a specialist or go to an outpatient clinic at a hospital. You can also opt to see a local specialist directly in your area. Larger towns and cities often have a local dentist. Always make appointments in advance to see a dentist or specialist. If you must seek medical treatment, you and your dependants will need to show your insurance card (»E-card«) each time you visit a doctor 154

h e a lt h c a r e s y s t e m

(the same as a European Health Insurance Card). Doctors who have a contract with the health insurance company charge the health insurance company directly using the E card, and there is no direct cost to you at the time of your appointment. Some companies require partial-payment for treatment or will refund the entire fee after it has already been paid. Visitors and unemployed persons are usually treated free of charge in case of medical emergencies. In any case, bring the relevant E-form with you. Private practice doctors usually need to be paid in cash or by payslip; a relatively small proportion of the total cost can be refunded by your health insurance provider after submitting the receipt. As the quality of public health care in Austria is very good, the number of private hospitals and private clinics is relatively small. However, you can opt to purchase private insurance at in public hospitals by purchasing supplementary insurance through your health care provider or through private insurance companies. Contact addresses for doctors in your area are listed in the telephone book, the business directory or online at the Medical Association website. You can find information for doctors and dentists offering emergency services during weekends and public holidays at your local city council office, in newspapers (e.g. OberĂśsterreichische Nachrichten, Krone) and on the website of your local Red Cross organization: w w w.rotesk /ooe /organis ation / bezirks s tellen

as well as at the Medical Association w w w. a e k o o e . o r. a t


Emergency medical services are available Monday to Friday, from 19:00 to 07:00, and all day Saturday, Sunday and on public holidays by dialling 141 (nationwide number).


C o - I n s u r i n g t h e Fa m i ly Health Insurance An additional fee may be required to co-insure certain family members. No additional fee applies to your current spouse or life partner (for four years of continuously) raising one or more children living in the same household. Children are co-insured to age 18 and coverage extends to age 27 if they are enrolled in school/university or are pursuing education to train for an occupation. An additional requirement includes primary residence in Austria or a family member’s own legal health insurance coverage. If the person to be co-insured is not an Austrian citizen, the following documents are required: a registration certificate (»Anmeldebescheinigung«) for citizens of EU or EEA countries, for citizens from all other countries legal papers (NAG card) in regards to the person’s stay in Austria in accordance with settlement and residence laws.


co -insuring t h e fa m i ly

ÂťWe have had very good exp eriences the Aust with r ia n h e a lt h s y s t e m.ÂŤ Liu Yi , C h ina

For spouses or life partners, the following requirements and documentation (in copy) are required: marriage certificate and/or proof of registered relationship and a registration certificate For children born in wedlock, out of wedlock or legitimitized: child’s birth certificate and registration certificate For students up to 27 years of age the following documentation is required: confirmation of enrollment at a school or in an academic degree program as well as current transcripts (at least 8 semester weeks with passing grades) from a completed academic year or the First Diploma Examination (the first oral defense) and/or proof of receiving family allowance benefits


Va c c i n at i o n s Generally recommended vaccinations in Austria:

Age 1

3 partial vaccinations doses against: Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio, haemophilus influenza b, hepatitis B Vaccinations are to be given when the infant is 3 months old, 4 months, and 5 months old

Recently a sixfold vaccination was approved – one shot to protect against six illnesses!

Age 2

4 partial vaccinations against the above listed illnesses (age 15 – 18 months)

Vaccination against measles, mumps and rubella (Beginning from age 14 months, combination vaccine)

A g e 7 Vaccination against diptheria, tetanus and polio Second vaccination against measles, mumps, and rubella

A g e 1 3 Vaccination against Hepatitis B Girls: vaccination against rubella

A g e 1 4 – 1 5 Vaccination against diptheria, tetanus and polio All of these vaccinations from birth to the end of mandatory school attendance are free of charge.


vacc i n at i o ns

T e e n s  &  Booster shots for diphtheria, tetanus and polio every A d u l t s 10 years Tick-borne encephalitis: Vaccinations against transmittable meningitis caused by S p e c i a l tick bites when outdoors is highly recommended.

V a c c i n a t i o n s These vaccinations are for persons in prevention of a diagnosed course of disease or those at higher risk of contracting a disease.

Vaccination against Influenza (flu), Hepatitis A and B Pneumococcal, meningococcal meningitis, rabies, O t h e r varicella (chicken pox), rubella, tuberculosis (BCG V a c c i n a t i o n s vaccine) If you are thinking of having these vaccinations, consult your doctor or pharmacist.

If you are planning to travel outside of western Europe, inquire beforehand on any required vaccinations. Vaccinations against yellow fever, hepatitis A/B, tyT r a v e l phus, cholera, Japanese B encephalitis, polio, diphV a c c i n a t i o n s theria, tetanus or meningococcal meningitis as well as malaria prophylaxis could be required. Your pharmacist can provide you with free information in regards vaccinations required when traveling.

For more information on the current recommended vaccinations, please see: w w w . c o m e 2 u p p e r a u s t r i a . c o m


La w s i n R e ga r d s t o Tu b e r c u l o s i s E x a m i n at i o n s As soon as you move to Upper Austria and register your residence with authorities, you will receive notification to undergo an examination for tuberculosis. This applies to following groups of person: Non-EU and EEA citizens with the exception from citizens of the United States of America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand will be required to undergo the examination. If you do not appear at the examination, the police will be contacted and will escort you to the examination. The examination will be conducted at the local district authority office according to residence. Persons age 14+ are subject to the examination which consists of a pulmonary x-ray.


C o n ta c t  &  E m e r g e n c i e s As in most European countries, the main e m e r g e n c y n u m b e r i s 112 . 112 is a universal emergency phone number to alert police, paramedics, and the fire department.

The number is pre-programmed in all GSM mobile phones and you do not need to unlock your phone’s key pad. There are also local emergency numbers in Austria to alert authorities in case of gas leaks, of if requiring alpine rescue services, access to a crisis-hotline or support services for children and teens. S e e b o o k j a c k e t f o r t h e m o s t i m p o r t a n t e m e rgency numbers. W h e n m a k in g a n e m e r g e n c y c a ll, f o ll o w in g t h e s e s t e p s: First, tell dispatch services the location of the accident by providing a street name, address or approximate location. Afterwards, explain what happened (car, fire or electrical accident) and how many persons are injured. Finally, provide your name and phone number. Main Red Cross office in Linz: Körnerstraße 28, 4020 Linz

Emergency medical services are available from Saturday at 07:00 to the following working day at 07:00, and 24 hours on holidays beginning at 07:00. In cases of poisoning, call the P o i s o n C o n t r o l C e n t e r immediately at +43 (0)1/4064343. The Poison Control Center is open 24 hours a day and will advise you on the procedures to follow. 161

H e a lt h I n s u r a n c e C o v e r ag e A b r o a d Anyone traveling abroad on holiday should take time to inquire about health insurance coverage abroad. Access to treatment in EU countries (including EEA countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) and Switzerland are indicated on the back of the » E u r o p e a n H e a l t h I n s u r a n c e C a r d « and E - C a r d . The Upper Austrian Health Insurance Company (OÖGKK) recommends that before you travel, inquire as to which doctors and hospitals close to your travel destination accept the European Health Insurance Card. Those who do not accept the card must take into account that fees will have to be paid in cash in advance and then reimbursed in Austria. The OÖGKK can refund up to a maximum of 80 percent of the applied fee in Austria. Medical transfer costs in case of illness cannot be covered by the OÖGKK and it is recommended to purchase additional private insurance. Private insurance also reimburses the difference between bills paid by the patient in cash and amount reimbursed by the OÖGKK. The European Health Insurance Card is only valid when the fields of the card contain insured person’s personal information. Check the card’s expiration date. Each family member must have his/her own card! If you do not have a valid European Health Insurance Card (look for a small asterisk on the back of the card), the OÖGKK can issue a provisi162

H e a lt h I n s u r a n c e C o v e r ag e A b r o a d

onal replacement certificate. As with the W-Card, the European Health Insurance Card is valid for only the card holder and each family member must have his/her own European Health Insurance Card. The same applies to provisional replacement certificates. When travelling in EU member countries, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland, holiday health certificates are no longer necessary! The OĂ–GKK recommends inquiring beforehand as to which countries accept the European Health Insurance Card. Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro, and Turkey no longer require holiday health certificates! For the rest of the world, the OĂ–GKK will reimburse up to 80 percent of the tariffs that apply in Austria. Private travel insurance also covers medical transfer costs back to Austria! The OĂ–GKK recommends that in the course of planning your travels, you inquire about purchasing additional private travel insurance. In general, various benefits and added costs on contract fees can only be covered by purchasing private holiday health insurance coverage. In this way there is no possibility for the insurance company to cover the costs of medical transfer back to Austria by, for example, Air Ambulance. w w w.ooegk k .at /mediaD B / 5 6 6 9 51_ G renzenlos _ver sichert_ Ansicht.pdf

The most important information on health insurance coverage abroad, including forms, is available at: w w w . o o e g k k . a t / m e d i a D B / M M D B 12 8 9 6 7_18 E B 6 C 5 7 C 5 9 6 13 9 6 C 12 5 6 B 9 D 0 0 4 5 9 9 4 0 - 0 14 9 . p d f 163

A lt e r n at i v e T r e at m e n t s i n U p p e r A u s t r ia Alternative medicine and natural medical treatments offer a different outlook on healthcare and can supplement conventional Western medicine. They can also be used as preventative measures to support longterm health benefits. Kinesiology – the Science of Human Movement: w w w.k inesiologie - oebk .a

Homeopathy: w w

Bach Flower Remedies: w w

Qi Gong: w w w.t aichi-

Shiatsu: w w w.shiat su-

Aroma Therapy: w w /site

Acupuncture: w w /gesund / A lternativmedizin /A kupunkt u r- A e r z t e - O o e . h t m

Tai Chi – The Art of Relecation: w w w.t w w w.t aichi-

Ayurveda: w w w.ayur veda .at /A ngebote / kurbehandlungen.htm for more Information see: w w w.lebe -bewus s t .at w w w.aer z te -aus tria .at /alternativen / w w /gesund /A lternativmedizin / 164

Services for M e n  &  w o m e n Useful Links for Information on: AIDS Services and Information Alcohol Counseling and Treating Addiction Advice for Career and Job Related Issues (Labor Law): Nutritional Consulting Domestic Violence Help and Support for Children/Teens Experiencing Parents’ Divorce or Death of a Parent (Rainbows) Emergency Aid Debt Counseling Mental and Emotional Distress Self-Defense Courses Narotic problems

see: p o r t a l . l i n z . g v . a t Resources for Women w w / fr auen /4 9 9 3.asp


Fa m i ly Si c k L e a v e I f a close relative bec omes ill or a child’s main c are giver is unavailable, employees are entitled to take family sick leave. The following applies: If you must care for a family who is ill and living with you in your immediate household, you are entitled to paid family sick leave. Employees have the right to paid family sick leave beginning immediately after being hired. Illnesses not only include acute or sudden illness, but also chronic illnesses. The deciding factor is the kind of nursing care required. Immediate family members include: spouses, registered life partners or companions, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, children, grandchildren, greatgrandchildren, adopted children, and foster children. Employees are entitled to take a leave of absence for child care purposes to care for a healthy child in the event that the child’s regular caregiver is unavailable (due to reasons of death, or having to go to the hospital or stay at an institution). The child does not have to be living in the same household. N o t e : for both forms of family sick leave, the employee is entitled to one week per working year. Family sick leave not consumed in that year will not be carried over to the following year! For more information, please see: w w w. a r b e i t e r k a m m e r. a t / a r b e i t s r e c h t / k r a n k h e i t u n d Pflege und Betreuungsfreistellung pflege.htm


Nu r s i n g Ca r e A l l o w a n c e Nursing care allowance was designed to help cover additional expenditures associated with nursing care and is not an increasei in the amount of income. As additional expenditures associated with nursing care can often exceed the amount of nursing care allowance, the amount should be considered more of a flat-rate amount in support of care costs. It allows those requiring nursing care a certain amount of independence and a (longer) stay in a familiar environment (at home). For more information on requirements and the amount of nursing care allowance, federal and state care allowance as well as application procedures, please contact: Amt der OĂ–. Landesregierung Direktion Soziales und Gesundheit Abteilung Soziales Bahnhofplatz 1, 4021 Linz +43 (0)732/7720-152 21 s o.p o s t @ o o e.g v. a t


I n t h e E v e n t o f D e at h Responsible Offices The civil status office locally responsible regarding the location in case of death (i.e. hospital location or nursing home) is: Civil registry office or community registry office In statutory towns: the civil registry office at the Magistrate

Issuing a Death Certificate In some cases, for instance in matters of insurance or questions regards contracts, it may be necessary to retroactively request the issuance of a death certificate for death dating back a longer period. Death cer tificates contain: the deceased’s first and last name and sex, if applicable, information if the deceased used a double compound name, the deceased’s last address, the day, place and registration of birth the deceased’s affiliation to a legally recognized church or religious community and the time and place of death.


in the event o f d e at h

N o t e : any academic or professional titles of the deceased will be entered next to the deceased’s name. The international death certificate is multilingual and is generally issued in 10 languages.

Shipping a Body Abroad The rules and regulations for shipping a body must be strictly adhered to in Austria. For more information on rules and regulations, please contact the responsible authority. In order to ship a body abroad, a special multilingual document called a »Leichenpass« must be obtained. Requirements: The viewing has already taken place. The death must already be registered at the civil registry office (death announcement). Approval for burial has been issued (»death certificate«). P r o c e d u r e s : Submit an application for a transfer permit or, if shipping a body abroad, permit to transfer abroad, and the issuance of an official document (a »Leichenpass«) at the responsible office. N o t e : you can submit the application either in person or request the funeral home to submit it on your behalf. R e q u i r e d D o c u m e n t s : Certification to accompany the body (issued at the viewing) Funeral Homes in Linz p o r t a l.linz.g v. a t Bürgerservice Bestattungsunternehmen To d e s f a l l

Service A–Z 169

S o c ia l S e c u r i t y , Fi n a n c e  &  t a x e s


au s t r ia ’ s s o c ia l s e c u r i t y s y s t e m 

17 2

t a x e s , s o c ia l b e n e f i t s  &  n a t i o n a l insur ance

18 8

O v e r v i e w o n k e y t o p i c s r e ga r d i n g au s t r ia n l a b o r l a w 


The social security system provides for the following circumstances: illness, incapacity to work, invalidity, maternity, unemployment, old age, death of a family’s main financial provider, survivors’ pensions, nursing care and poverty.


A u s t r ia’ s S o c ia l S e c u r i t y System Social insurance is mandatory insurance coverage for those who are either self-employed or employed, including their dependants; insured persons are legally entitled to some – but not all – benefits (once the terms and conditions have been fulfilled); the social security system is funded primarily by income-related insurance contributions and state support. A principle of solidarity applies: those with higher amounts of income (and who therefore pay higher social insurance contributions), help fund benefits for those in unfortunate circumstances or those a lower amount of income. Some groups (minimally employed workers, etc.) are only subject to mandatory insurance to a certain degree, such as accident insurance. Health insurance (covering illness, maternity leave, nursing care) is provided by the Austrian Health Insurance Company, accident insurance is provided by the General Accident Insurance Institute (»Allgemeine Unfallversicherungsanstalt«), unemployment insurance is provided by the Public Employment Service Austria (AMS), pension and retirement insurance is provided by the Pension Insurance Office (»Pensionsversicherungsanstalt«). Health insurance coverage is provided by a person’s place of employment (health insurance coverage is organised regionally by province (»Bundesländer«). Self-employed persons, farmers, railway employees, miners and civil servants have their own social insurance institutions independent of their place of work. All insurance companies are associated with provincial and district agencies and are centralized in the »Hauptverband der Österreichischen Sozialversicherungsträger« (Association of Austrian Social Insurance Institutions). As an employee with an employment contract or statement issued on the job and its terms and conditions (»Dienstzettel«), you are automatically 172

A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

covered by social health insurance. Your employer will register you with the corresponding insurance company. Insurance payments are paid by employees and deducted monthly from gross salary/gross wages paid by the employer. Self-employed persons must provide their own health insurance coverage and register with the appropriate insurance companies themselves. In addition to social insurance coverage, there is the system of social assistance in Austria: social assistance aims to plug the gaps in other areas of social insurance. EU/EEA citizens can apply for social assistance at a local city government office or city municipal office. As of January 1st 2010, the social assistance system was replaced by the means-tested minimum income system.

Unemployment Insurance Benefits provided by unemployment insurance include unemployment payments and emergency financial assistance. These and other benefits for unemployment as well as assistance to find a job are provided by the Austrian Public Employment Service (AMS). Unemployment benefits You are eligible for unemploy ment b enef it s if: you paid mandatory unemployment insurance for at least 26 weeks during the past 12 months (in the case of those up to age 25) or you paid mandatory unemployment insurance for at least 52 weeks during the past two years (in the case of a first claim for unemployment benefits by someone aged 25 or over) you were employed for at least 28 weeks during the past year (for subsequent claims).


A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen or third country national and have already accrued insurance points in an EEA country or Switzerland, these points will count towards your period of qualification and duration to receive benefits provided you have been employed and subject to mandatory unemployment insurance in Austria for at least one day prior to application (separate provisions apply to cross-border workers). In addition, you may reside in Austria for up to three months in order to seek employment and transfer your unemployment benefits to Austria. You must report to a AMS regional office (Employment Service) within seven days of arriving in Austria, present your E 301-303 forms, completed by the employment service of the country where you are receiving unemployment benefits. Amount of unemployment benefits: The basic amount is 55 percent of one’s net daily income, calculated on the basis of an annual assessment based on social security contributions plus appropriate extrapolation factors for one calendar year. If the application is submitted before June 30, the calendar year before last is taken into account; provided it is submitted after that date the last calendar year is used. Claims for unemployment benefits must be made in person at the regional office of the AMS (Employment Service) in your area. Family allowances and any supplementary payments may be added to the basic amount. If you become unemployed, report your unemployment status to your regional office as soon as possible as unemployment benefits are not paid retroactively. Please refer to the application form in regards to required documentation. Further information can be obtained at your regional office. Emergency financial assistance: If you have exhausted your entitlement to unemployment benefits or childcare allowance (»Kinderbetreuungsgeld«) and continue to be unemployed, you can apply for emergency financial assistance 174

A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

as long as you remain available to placement services and, in particular, are able and willing to work and are in urgent need of financial assistance. This benefit is also available to EU/EEA and Swiss citizens. Benefits are not calculated exclusively by social insurance principles. There are provisions for spouses’ and partners’ incomes, as well as income earned by the claimant, that will be taken into account. Failure to report to the regional office of the Employment Service when required to or failure to notify the office of any changes in personal or professional circumstances may result in the loss of unemployment benefits or emergency financial assistance. As of January 1st 2009, self-employed individuals may apply for voluntary unemployment insurance under certain conditions, accruing entitlements that will counted towards a specified minimum period of employment. Further financial benefits from the Austrian Employment Service (»Arbeitsmarktservice Österreich«, AMS) can be found at w w

Health Insurance Mandatory health insurance coverage is provided with almost all types of paid employment (see also section on types of employment) as well as to most self-employed persons, persons claiming unemployment benefits, pensioners as well as to their dependants. Anyone can apply for voluntary health insurance coverage in case of illness as well as pension insurance. A few services require additional out-of-pocket payment (such as treatment by doctors or at hospitals not a part of the social insurance system, treatment by private doctors/private hospitals, orthodontics, dental bridges, etc.). As a rule, however, part of the cost will be reimbursed by your health insurance provider (»Krankenkasse«). In the event of hospitalisation, a certain amount is to be paid by the patient for each day spent in hospital.


A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

In Austria, insured individuals and their dependants (usually a spouse, and children up to age 18, or 21 if not in employment, or 26 if studying) are entitled to receive benefits. Children and spouses can be included in the insurance coverage free of charge. N o t e : childless spouses with no income of their own are not covered by health insurance free of charge: 3.4 percent of the insured partner’s payment base must be paid to provide coverage. You and your dependants are entitled to medical care by a general practitioner, specialist or dentist provided the medical professional has a contract with the health insurance company. Treatment by a doctor or dentist is covered by your insurance coverage. A list of partner doctors is available by your health insurance company. Medication is prescribed by a medical professional and dispensed at pharmacies. Prescription co-payments are € 5 (2010) per prescription. You can submit a claim of exemption if your income is below a certain minimum amount. There is an annual fee of € 10 for the E-card (social insurance card) (exceptions apply). If you are unable to work due to illness not resulting by your own negligence, your employer will normally continue to pay your full wages/ salary up to 12 weeks. After that, health benefits will be paid by your health insurance company until your incapacity is certified as required. Health benefits do not correspond to the amount of a person’s wage/salary. Anyone requiring long-term health care as the result of an illness or disability are eligible to apply for nursing care allowance. Applications for nursing care allowance must be submitted to the corresponding health insurance company. There are seven different levels of nursing care and an evaluator will determine the level required.


A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

Family & Maternity Benefits Some family benefits in Austria are payable partly by account transfer but mainly in cash. Cash payments include: family benefits or child allowance (»Familienbeihilfe, Kindergeld«) and child tax credit (»Kinderabsetzbetrag«) maternity benefits (»Wochengeld«) childcare allowance (»Kinderbetreuungsgeld«) advances on childcare allowance advances on maintenance payments (the state pays an advance on legal maintenance payments, for example, after a divorce; the person liable for payment of the maintenance must repay the advance) special family allowance (»Familienzuschlag«) (for unemployment allowance), etc. Additional benefits include: »Mutter-Kind-Pass« (»mother/child pass«) medical examinations travel costs on public transportation for school students and apprentices: small co-pay by the beneficiary health insurance required school textbooks (»Schulbuchaktion«): small co-pay by the beneficiary Fa m i l y b e n e f i t s » F a m i l i e n b e i h i l f e « The same conditions of entitlement that apply to Austrian citizens also apply to EU/EEA citizens and Swiss citizens. Family benefits may be awarded for children up to age 18 and for children over the legal age in a vocational education program or continuing vocational education program, up to age 26 provided they reside primarily in Austria. The amount of family benefit depends on the child’s age. Family benefits are only granted after submission of a written application to the Tax Office (»Finanzamt«) using the proper form.


A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

Link to forms to apply for family allowance: w w f.g v. a t /s er v ic e / f o r mula r e /s t euer n / b eihil fe / b e i h1/ 2 0 0 6 / B e i h1. p d f

Ma t e r n i t y b e n e f i t s » W o c h e n g e l d « provided the mother is fully employment, fully insured as a freelance contractor or minimally employed and self-insured, she is entitled to maternity benefits beginning the eighth week before the baby’s birth and for eight weeks afterward the baby’s birth (»Mutterschutz«). The amount of maternity benefits are calculated differently for the groups listed above. Your health insurance coverage pays for the benefits (»Krankenkasse«). Self-employed mothers receive business assistance (»Betriebshilfe«) by the Social Insurance Institute for Trade and Industry (»Gewerbliche Sozialversicherungsanstalt«). Childcare allowance »Kinderbetreuungsgeld« When the maternity protection period is over, parents (mother or father) can apply for childcare allowance. Childcare allowance is also available to those unemployed or covered by mandatory social insurance (such as housewives, students, freelance workers). Additional earnings up to a ceiling of 60 percent of the last amount income or € 16,200 (gross) per year is permitted. Applications for childcare allowance should be submitted to your health insurance provider (»Krankenkasse«). The amount payable depends on the duration benefits received: as of 2010, 5 different models will apply, one will be income-based. In regards to the four models, the rule is: the shorter the period in which childcare allowance is drawn, the higher the daily amount. Link to forms to apply for child allowance w w w . o o e g k k . a t / m e d i a D B / 6 2 9 4 6 7_ 0 1 _ K B G G 1 _ K i n d e rbetreuungsgeld_ Antrag.pdf 178

A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

Pensions Austrians use the word »Pension« when referring to pension and retirement as opposed to the word »Rente« used commonly in Germany. The Austrian pension system is based on three pillars: 0 1 » S t a t e P e n s i o n « : Ma n d a t o r y Pu b l i c Pi l l a r The Austrian pension model is based on the mandatory public pillar which is for a lot of people the only source of income after retirement. Contributions to the Austrian state pension are made by both employer and employee. 0 2 » E m p l o y e r P e n s i o n « : C o m p a n y Fi n a n c e d P e n s i o n P l a n s The second pillar includes voluntary private pension plans (based on the Austrian »Betriebspensionsgesetz«). Payments are made primarily by the employer but usually the employee is also able to make voluntary payments. There are three different types of company pension provisions: a pension plan, comparable to Austrian »Pensionskasse« a pension promise and life insurance and other company financed pension plans imcomparable to Austrian »Pensionskasse« 0 3 » P r i v a t e P e n s i o n « P r i v a t e l y Fi n a n c e d P e n s i o n P l a n s The third pillar is the private, individual and voluntary pension insurance plan. Payments are usually made by the employee.


A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

I n t e r n at i o n a l A s p e c t s National as well as international regulations are based on principles of territoriality and gainfully employed individuals should be insured at their respective place of employment. This regulation can be overruled in regards to international assignments – if an insured person travels abroad briefly on an assignment for work, national insurance coverage will continue to be provided (so-called »world-wide principle«). The application of both principles can result in double or multiple social security obligations. C o o r d i n a t i o n i s c u r r e n t l y b a s e d o n the following regimes: EU Regulations – applicable to EU/EEA member countries and Switzerland Bilateral agreements with third countries The principle of single coverage should also be mentioned where an employee is generally insured only under the law of one member country. The provisions of the E u r o p e a n C o n v e n t i o n o n S o c i a l S e c u r i t y – which have been in effect for more than 30 years – ensure that EU citizens have sufficient social security coverage as individuals should feel free to exercise their right of free mobility within the EU. Individuals moving freely within the EU should not be put in worse position than someone who has always resided and worked in a single member country. The provisions are stated in n e w r e g u l a t i o n ( E G ) N r . 8 8 3 / 2 0 0 4 in effect as of May 1st 2010. Contrary to the former regulation, improvements have been implemented. Please note that the new regulation is currently not applicable for Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland. These countries still adhere to the »old« regulation (EEC) 1408/71.


A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

In many cases, rules of exceptions to the principle of territoriality allow an employee to remain within his or her existing social security system if sent abroad for limited periods of time to one or several EU/EEA member countries or to Switzerland. In addition, Austria has b i l a t e r a l a g r e e m e n t s with several third countries regarding social security coverage. These agreements support insurance claims and coverage. If payments have been paid in one country, they will be accepted in another country which is party to the agreement. Some agreements cover other areas including illness, accidents, unemployment, and family benefits. Many bilateral agreements also state exceptions which deviate from the principle of territoriality. In cases of assignments abroad, it is possible to continue to be insured in the employee’s home country for a certain number of years. Invalidit y Terms vary regarding invalidity in Austrian pension insurance »B erufsunfähigkeit« – policy for clerical wor kers the insured person’s capacity to work has been reduced to such a degree that it amounts to less than half that of a healthy person with comparable professional training and equivalent knowledge and skills. »Invalidit ät« – policy for manual wor kers A distinction is made between skilled and unskilled workers. Skilled workers’ capacity to work has fallen to half of the capacity of a physically or mentally fit beneficiary with similar training, knowledge and skills, in any profession that can be cited in evidence (vocational protection). In regards to unskilled workers, the employee is no longer able to earn, from any reasonable activity, half of the sum that a physically and mentally fit person could be expected to earn from the same activity.


A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

»Er wer bsunfähigkeit« – policy for self-employed persons up to age 50 unable to pursue any gainful employment due to their state of health. The amount of pension depends both on the amount of payments paid and the age at which the pension is claimed. The agencies responsible are the Pension Insurance Institute (for the self-employed) and the Social Insurance Institute for Trade and Industry (»Sozialversicherungsanstalt der Gewerblichen Wirtschaft«). A separate definition is applied to those over 50 years old. S u r v i v o r ’ s p e n s i o n : available to the dependants of deceased persons in order to provide financial security. There must be a minimum period of coverage for pension insurance depending on age. W i d o w / w i d o w e r ’ s p e n s i o n : the amount of a widow or widower’s pension is between 0 percent and 60 percent of the deceased’s pension. O r p h a n ’ s p e n s i o n : the amount of an orphan’s pension is 40 percent of the widow/widower’s pension for single orphans and 60 percent of the widow/widower’s pension for two or more orphans. Widow/widowers’ pensions and orphans’ pensions must be claimed at the institute where the insured person had been insured for at least 15 years. In the event of industrial accidents and occupation related injury, invalidity pension, widow/widowers’ pensions, and orphans’ pensions can be claimed under accident insurance at the Accident Insurance Institute (»Unfallversicherungsanstalt«).


A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

E-forms E forms make it convenient to apply for social insurance benefits from abroad. These forms are standardised throughout the EU and available at the social insurance institutions in the country you are insured in. When in another country, present the corresponding forms to the social insurance institutions in that country in order to obtain benefits quickly. The most impor tant E forms are: E 1 0 1: Your stay abroad is not longer than 12 months: you remain covered by health insurance in your home country. Available at your health insurance company. E 1 0 2 : Your stay abroad is unexpectedly longer: you can apply for an insurance extension for an additional 12 months. Available at the health insurance company. E 1 0 6 : You and members of your family living with you in Austria may claim material benefits under health/maternity insurance coverage in your place of residence at the expense of the responsible health insurance company. Available at the health insurance company. E 1 0 9 : Issued so that family members not residing with you in Austria can claim health/maternity benefits provided under the law in your home country at their place of residence and at the expense of the responsible health insurance policy. Available at the health insurance company. E 111: If no European health insurance card is available, you should have a form for yourself and each family member that guarantees treatment free of charge in the event of illness or accident during short stays abroad. Available at the health insurance company. E 11 9 : Certifies claims by unemployed persons and their family members to access health care and benefits abroad, normally during the period when the unemployed person is seeking employment. Available at the employment service or the agency paying unemployment benefits.


A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

E 2 0 0 : This form covers pension payments. Available at the pension insurance agency. E 3 0 1: Confirms of periods of employment in your home country required to calculate unemployment benefits. Available at the employment service or the agency that pays unemployment benefits. E 3 0 3 : Forms to transfer unemployment benefits to other countries in the EU/EEA or Switzerland for a period of three months. Available at the employment service or the agency that pays unemployment benefit. E 4 0 1: Confirmation of family status for family benefits: required if you apply for family benefits in Austria. Available at the agency that pays child allowances and family benefits.

Health Cards T h e Eu r o p e a n H e a l t h I n s u r a n c e Ca r d Obtaining the European Health Insurance Card helps to coordinate the various health care systems. Introduced in June 2004, the card helps EU citizens travelling to or within other EU member countries to access to medical assistance. Furthermore, the card guarantees fast and convenient reimbursement of expenses incurred locally or shortly after returning to the holder’s primary country of residence. As of January 1st 2006, the European Health Insurance Card is available and recognised by all member countries and replaces previous forms, such as the E 111. W h o i s e n t i t l e d t o a EH I c a r d ? The European Health Insurance Card is available to: citizens of the EU citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA) citizens of Switzerland 184

A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

family members of the above, regardless of nationality citizens of countries covered by a social security system; either a member country of the EU, EEA or Switzerland Before travelling abroad, request the EHIC at a local office of your health insurance provider. All EU citizens are strongly advised to carry their European health insurance cards when travelling to other countries. H e a lt h c a r d B e n e f i t s : Whereas the main purpose of the European Health Insurance Card is to ensure uncomplicated access to health services during a temporary stay abroad, the card also offers additional benefits for healthcare providers, patients and insurers alike. The main advantages include: convenient access to health care abroad fast and easy reimbursement of expenses data security improved reliability less administrative paperwork simpler and faster procedures when seeking health care services In general, this »smart card« contains only basic information such as the card holder’s name and surname and date of birth, but no medical details. The card is simple to use and recognized throughout Europe. The information is presented in a standardised form preventing any misunderstanding due to language barriers. What is a »Smart Card«?

A »smart card« is a pocket-sized plastic card that looks identical to a bank or credit card. Smart Cards contain a small gold chip on the front and when inserted into a reader, the chip provides information and can also store information. 185

A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

What information is on my health card?

The only personal information stored on the European health insurance card is the card holder’s first and last name, personal identification number, and date of birth. The European health insurance card does not contain any medical history records. Where is my health card accepted?

The EHIC can be used to obtain health services abroad, such as seeing a general practitioner, being admitted to a hospital or getting prescriptions at a pharmacy. All EU member countries are responsible for the issuance and distribution of the health cards as well as providing health care facilities with card readers. U s i n g t h e Eu r o p e a n H e a l t h I n s u r a n c e Ca r d a b r o a d It is important to note that the health insurance card does not apply in cases where a patient intentionally seeks medical treatment abroad. The card is intended to provide insurance coverage when travelling to other countries and staying for a limited period. If the card holder requires medical attention, treatment will be provided according to the rules and regulations of that particular country (for example, if healthcare is free of charge in that member country, the visiting patient will also be entitled to free medical care after presenting his/her European Health Insurance Card).


The provisional repl acement c e r t i fi c at e If an individual in need of medical attention is not in possession of his/ her European Health Insurance Card, the card holder can also present a provisional replacement certificate that can easily be sent by fax or email by the relevant home national health insurance company. The certificate is equivalent to the EHIC and entitles the patient to the same treatment and reimbursement.

A u s t r ia ’ s S o c ia l security system

Eu r o p e a n H e a l t h I n s u r a n c e Ca r d Fe at u r e s The European Health Insurance Card is identical in all EU member countries and bears the European symbol. There are two variations: Standard EU design on the front of the card leaving the back free for content as selected by the respective member country Standard EU design on the back of the card and the member country places the EHIC information on the back of the national or regional health card Each member country can opt for one of the possible variations when issuing the health card.

» H e a l t h  &

 e m e r g e n cy servic es are very efficient .« Ta t j a n a B o jarkina,

Ru s s ia


Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Nat i o n a l I n s u r a n c e If an expatriate is assigned to work in Austria, there may be many questions in regard to income tax, social insurance or permits. For example, there should be a review of whether income earned in Austria or abroad is taxable – and if so, to what extent – as well as how to best deal with the tax situation. The company should also help clarify if social security laws apply to expatriates in Austria on assignment and what permits are required for non-EU citizens in Austria. With regards to the following section, we would like to include important expert information on some issues relating to taxation, social insurance benefits and permits for expatriates. Please note that this article only provides a general overview based on the current laws as of January 2010.

Incomes & Taxation The average annual gross earnings for full-time employees in Austria in 2008 was approximately € 28,590 (arithmetical means). The average income in Tyrol is the lowest in Austria and highest average income is in Lower Austria. T h e I n c o m e Ta x A c t »Einkommensteuergeset z« applies to particular types of income: income from agriculture and forestry, self-employed individuals, trade and craft activities, employment, capital assets, rents and leases, etc. A progressive rate of income tax (0–50 percent) applies in Austria. Income tax on employment is also referred to as earnings tax. The amount of income tax is based on the amount of taxable income received in a calendar year. The calendar year 188

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

is considered the same as the business year and is comprised of a 12 month a period. Income tax paid by employees is automatically deducted from wages or salaries at the place of employment along with social insurance payments. The amount is transferred directly by the employer to the responsible offices. The tax amount withheld is a pre-payment of annual tax owed which is determined by the annual tax assessment (»Arbeitnehmerveranlagung«, formerly »Lohnsteuerausgleich«) corresponding to the taxpayer’s declaration. Various expenses can be deducted from annual income tax depending on the circumstances such as sole provider’s allowance, allowance for single parents, lump sums, allowances and special expenses such as child allowance, flat-rate allowance for commuters, work-related expenses such as internet connections, relocation, etc., and additional expenses (such as hospital charges, costs of medication). As of 2009, costs for children, such as kindergarten fees and afternoon child care (»Nachmittagsbetreuung«) have been tax-deductible. After submission of the proper income tax forms, tax assessment can be conducted. In many cases, tax returns will be approved. S o c ia l i n s u r a n c e p a y m e n t s must be paid by both employees and employers (exception: accident insurance is paid by employers only). The following rates apply for 2010 (paid by both employee and employers): health insurance: manual employees, clerical employees, freelance employees, recently self-employed individuals (Social Insurance for Businesses Act – »Gewerbliches Sozialversicherungsgesetz«, »GSVG«): 7.65 percent accident insurance: manual employees, clerical employees, freelance employees: 1.4 percent unemployment insurance: manual employees, clerical employees, freelance employees: 6 percent 189

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

pension insurance: manual employees, clerical employees, freelance employees: 22.8 percent, recently self-employed individuals (»GSVG«): 16.25 percent In addition, employees and freelance workers pay 0.5 percent of their gross pay to the Chamber of Labour and a 0.50 percent housing construction levy (freelance workers do not pay any housing construction levy). There are also, where applicable, trade union contributions and church tithings (contribution to a religious community deducted directly from pay: 1.25 percent of the gross wage/salary) paid only by employees.

Other Taxes (as of 2009) Land tax, vehicle tax (insurance tax based on e n g i n e s i z e ) , v a l u e - a d d e d t a x : this is paid as an indirect tax on the purchase of a product or service by the final consumer (current rates are 10-20 percent) c o r p o r a t i o n t a x : legal persons (e.g. companies) pay no income tax, but do pay corporation tax (25 percent); municipal tax: businesses pay municipal tax to the city where the business is located (3 percent of the assessment basis) t u r n o v e r t a x : tax applies to business owners whose annual turnover exceeds € 30,000 (rate: 20 percent) capital gains tax mineral oil tax, etc. Additional information on the various types of taxation can be obtained at the Finance Office and the Federal Ministry of Finance. All taxes are payable to the corresponding Finance Office. Austria has agreements preventing double taxation with all EU member countries and many other countries. 190

N o t e : annual tax assessment, income tax notification and the payment of other taxes are tied to certain deadlines.

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

Personal Income Austrian tax law distinguishes between unlimited and limited tax liability. Unlimited tax liability in Austria applies to those who have a residence in Austria under conditions that let assume that the said residence will be retained and used. It also applies if a person spends more than six months continually in Austria, i.e., if such person has his or her main residence in Austria. Upon application, EU citizens may also be subject to unlimited tax liability if at least 90 percent their total income is subject to Austrian income tax laws, or if other income does not exceed a certain amount. Those subject to unlimited tax liability are subject to income tax on income earned worldwide. Under the Austrian Income Tax Act (AITA), individuals living temporarily in Austria are subject to limited tax liability and pay taxes only on certain income earned in Austria from Austrian sources. Although there are fewer deductions and tax reliefs available on income from dependent employment as opposed to those subject to unlimited tax liability, proven income-related costs and specific tax deductions may be claimed. Under certain conditions, special expenses may reduce the tax base. Extraordinary burdens may not considered. To calculate income tax, a certain amount determined in the income tax act is added to the amount of taxable income. Double taxation refers to individuals subject to paying taxes in Austria and in another country. To avoid double taxation, Austria has signed Double Tax Treaties with approximately 80 countries. If Austria does not have a Double Tax Treaty with your home country, double taxation can usually be avoided by special national measures. There are seven t ypes of taxable income: 0 1 Income from agriculture and forestry 0 2 Income from self-employed individuals and professional services 0 3 Income from trade or business enterprise 0 4 Income from dependent employment


Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

0 5 Income from investments 0 6 Income from renting and leasing 0 7 Other income The total amount of taxable income is calculated by adding together the individual types of income (income after deduction of business expenses and income-related expenses) and then subtracting special expenses and extraordinary burdens. The income from spouses and children are assessed and taxed separately. The assessment of income tax (base) is generally calculated by the amount on a previous income tax return. A particular form of income tax collection is income from dependent employment and withholding taxes on wages (wage tax, »Lohnsteuer«, »LSt«). Taxes on Austrian dividends and on interest from cash deposits with Austrian credit institutions are generally collected in the form of withholding taxes retained at source (capital gains tax, »Kapitalertragssteuer«, »KESt«). In that case, capital gains are subject to final taxation and need not be declared in the income tax return whereas foreign capital gains must be included in the income tax return.

Expenses & Deductions I n co m e - R e l at e d E x p e n s e s An employee can claim income-related expenses from work related expenses or expenditures directly related to an employee’s job. If requirements are met, these expenses include the costs of maintaining two households, the costs for home leave, the cost of work-related travel, and mandatory social security payments in the home country.


S p e c ia l E x p e n s e s The law lists special expenses in detail and can be deducted – partly depending on the amount of income – from the total amount of income. These expenses are not related to earnings, but are rather part of personal living costs.

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

E xamples of special expenses include: Insurance premiums for life insurance policies, accident or supplementary health insurance policies, insurance premiums for supplementary pension insurance policies Expenses for housing and renovation Expenses to purchase profit-sharing certificates and for the initial purchase of new shares Annuities and regular burdens due to special obligations Contributions to recognized confessional and religious organizations Costs of tax consulting services Donations to certain research institutions, as well as to umbrella organizations promoting handicapped sports Donations to humanitarian organizations (charitable organizations, development and aid or catastrophe relief organizations) E x t r a o r d i n a r y Bu r d e n s T h e d e d u c t i o n o f e x p e n s e s d u e t o e x t r a o r d i n a r y b u rdens is permitted under the following conditions: The expenses must constitute a final burden on the taxpayer thus reducing the amount of personal resources. The burden must be extraordinary, i.e., the taxpayer must incur greater expenses than most other taxpayers with similar income levels and family status. The extraordinary burden must be inevitable. The condition of being inevitable is given provided the taxpayer is, in fact, unable to avoid the burden due to current, legal or moral reasons. The expenses must considerably burden the economic viability of the taxpayer. This shall be deemed the case provided the expenses exceed a certain percentage of income (= reasonable additional burden). These expenses do not apply to expenses for business operations, income-related expenses or special expenses.


Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

Examples include the costs of illness, higher expenses associated with handicaps, fixing damage caused by natural disasters and the cost of educating children attending schools abroad. As of 2009, the costs for child care up to a certain amount per child/per year can be considered as an extraordinary burden. See details below. C h i l d Ca r e C o s t s  &  A l l o w a n c e s An employer’s child care costs (for children no older than 10 years of age) is tax free for up to € 500/year. However, the employee is also able to claim child care expenses up to € 2300/year (to the end of the calendar year when the child completes the age of ten) as an extraordinary burden providing certain preconditions are met. The employee can claim a child allowance (tax allowance) of € 220 (or € 132 per parent per year and child if both are receiving allowance benefits). By special application, a transfer payment will apply to children (»Familienbeihilfe« and »Kinderabsetzbetrag«). For more information, please see: w w f j.g v. a t / F amilie / F ina nzielle U n t er s t ue t zun gen/Seiten/default.aspx

Parents may also apply for so-called »child care money« (»Kinderbetreuungsgeld«) after the birth of a child. Ta x C r e d i t s The rules pertaining to taxation rates grant tax deductions (tax reliefs) to certain groups of persons. I f t h e r e q u i r e m e n t s a r e m e t , t h e following tax deductions apply: Tax credit for sole income earners Tax credit for single parents 194

Tax credit for support payments

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

Tax credit for travel expenses Tax credit for employees Tax credit for cross-border commuters Tax credit for aging pensioners The tax credit for sole income earners is available under certain conditions (providing the spouse does not earn more than € 2200/year without children or € 6000 per year with children). The so-called »credit for dependent children« is not deducted but is paid out by the Tax Office – upon request – together with the family allowance benefits.

Tax Rates (2010) The first € 11,000 of earned income per year is tax free. There are four tax brackets in which the marginal rate for those at the top of the bracket is 0 percent at € 11,000; 20.44 percent at € 25,000; 33.73 percent at € 60,000 and 50 percent at amounts above € 60,000. The formulas used to calculate the tax amounts can be found the BMF homepage: h t t p: //e n g l i s h . b m f.g v. a t / M i n i s t r y/_ s t a r t . h t m

Special Regulations with Regard to Employment Income The following lists a few special regulations in regard to taxing employment income in Austria. This is not a complete list, but rather a general overview and subject to certain preconditions. Salaries in Austria are general paid in 1 4 r e g u l a r i n s t a l l m e n t s : 12 monthly salary payments, plus an additional remuneration usually in June (»holiday pay«) and in November (»Christmas pay«). Salary payment in this way is a precondition to apply for a reduced fixed rate of 6 195

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

percent for additional payments, thus the 13th and 14th month of salary will be taxed favorably (and not at progressive rates up to 50 percent). If salaries are paid in a different scheme (no additional payments in addition to 12 monthly installments), the more favorable rate will not be available. Due to the principle of causality, payments or similar work-related pay by another country (for work outside of Austria) is usually taxable in that country or has to be split between the countries. R e l o c a t i o n C o s t s paid by the employer – costs to move household goods, transportation and travel expenses to and from the location of assignment, plus rent paid on behalf of the employee on the former home (up to a certain extent) – are not considered as taxable income for the assignee. A lump sum paid by the employer to reimburse other expenses in connection with relocation within the group – so-called »Umzugskostenvergütung« – is not considered taxable income as far as the lump sum does not exceed a certain amount. H o u s i n g (apartment or house) provided by the employer free of charge is considered a fringe benefit and is considered taxable income. If the employer is the tenant, tax settings are possible. If the employee rents the accommodation directly and is reimbursed by the employer, a 100 percent of the amount will be added to the taxable income amount. If the employee needs to establish a second residence for business purposes (and maintains primary residence in his/her home country), expenses for the second residence could be claimed as an income related expense. The rent and operating costs, as well as furnishing items may be deducted (double household deduction), in an extension that provides for reasonable accommodation in the host country. C o s t s f o r p e r s o n a l t r a v e l reimbursed by the employer are generally considered taxable income whereas cost for work-related business trips are tax exempt. A mileage allowance (Euro 0.42/km in 2010) 196

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

is available under certain conditions. Expenses for home travel/trips may be claimed as a commuting allowance (»Pendlerpauschale«) up to a maximum amount of € 3,372 per year (2010). P e r d i e m r a t e s f o r b u s i n e s s t r i p s may be tax free provided special requirements are met. There are limitations in regards to the duration (either 5, 15 or 183 days) and the amount per day (depending the duration of the trip and the country). If an employee’s c o m p a n y c a r is also used for personal purposes, taxable benefits apply. The advantage treating a company car as a noncash benefit is that the taxable amount is restricted to € 600/month in comparison to cash-reimbursements in which the entire amount is taxable up to a progressive rate of 50 percent. S c h o o l f e e s borne by the employer is considered taxable income but tax deductible (within restrictions) provided the employee’s children or the expatriate require attending a private school for language reasons, for example, or due to the distance between home and the school/ university. Mandatory (Austrian or foreign) employer’s i n s u r a n c e p a y m e n t s are not taxable, mandatory employee’s payments are considered an employee expense. P e r s o n a l I n s u r a n c e P a y m e n t s (aside from mandatory social security payments) paid by the employer for the employees are considered taxable income. If the advantage is granted to all employees or a group of employees, only amounts exceeding € 300 per year are considered taxable income. A tax deferral is possible by depositing payments in to a so-called » P e n s i o n s k a s s e « ( p e n s i o n f u n d ) or by committing a pension promise.


Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

Filing Status / Payment of Taxes In Austria, the due date for filing income tax returns is April 30 (manual filing) and June 30 (electronic filing) respectively following the end of the fiscal year. Extensions (by application) are granted regularly, especially if the taxpayer is working with a tax consultant. After review and evaluation by authorities, a notice of assessment will be issued to the taxpayer. Wage taxes withheld at payroll and prepayments are credited against the final tax assessment. The same applies for foreign tax creditable under a double tax treaty (DTT). Individuals must file a return unless their income is taxed by way of (final) withholding taxes. Married individuals are taxed separately based on individual income. Children are taxed separately from their parents, thus no joint filing is possible. Under Austrian Tax Law, the fiscal year corresponds to the calendar year. I f a n n u a l in c o m e ( 2 0 10 ) o f a n in d i v i d u a l s u b j e c t t o unlimited t a xable does not exceed… € 11,000 (no income subject to wage tax included in the annual income) or € 12,000 (including income subject to wage tax under specific circumstances) or € 730 (other income in addition to a salary subject to wage tax) … t h e r e i s n o o b l i g a t i o n t o f i l e a r e t u r n . Returns may be filed on a voluntary basis. Filing is mandatory for l i m i t e d t a x a b l e p e r s o n s with an income limit of € 2,000. When assessing the income tax for a tax payer subject to limited tax liability, € 9,000/year is added to the amount of taxable income. 198

P a y m e n t o f t a x e s is due one month after the assessment has been issued. During the year quarterly installments are assessed. Interest on

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

outstanding balances will not be charged the first nine months after the end of the fiscal year. Penalties are calculated if filing or settlements are not taken care of in accordance with the laws.

Expatriate Tax Regime S p e c ia l C o n d i t i o n s f o r E x p a t r ia t e s There is no special tax regime/tariff available for expatriates in Austria. However, up to 35 percent of taxable income (from dependent employment) of expatriates may be paid out tax-free. The requirements are that the employer must reimburse certain expenses, the employee must not have lived in Austria for the past 10 years, the employee has been assigned to Austria by a foreign employer to work at a group company and the assignment will not exceed five years. Furthermore, the foreign family must retain their primary residence for the duration of the assignment. The following expenses – related to the assignment – may be deducted directly from the amount of taxable income under the conditions mentioned above and within the outlined limits – before applying the wage tax rates: Costs of moving Costs of maintaining two households Costs of education for children Home leave allowance If the special rules for expatriates do not apply, the taxpayer may still get some tax relief. It is possible to reduce the burden of income tax by filing an income tax return provided there is proof of exceptional burden due to the employment assignment. You must file a special application (»Freibetragsbescheid«) and submit it no later than October 31st of the current year to consider certain expenses already through payroll withholding. 199

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

Ta x P r o t e c t i o n – Ta x E q ua l i z a t i o n – H y p ota x To help employees avoid uncertainty regarding due taxes or taxes expected to fall due during his or her period of assignment, signing agreements such as the »Tax Protection Agreement« or »Tax Equalization Agreement« are common practice. The goal is to take measures that enable the employee to concentrate on his or her work as trying to deal with foreign tax system and respective double taxation agreement is time consuming. More often than not, the employee’s status is no better or worse than those of colleagues continuing to work in the home country. Ta x P r o t e c t i o n (= compensation of additional taxes) This type of agreement states that an employee will be compensated for foreign taxes by the employer provided the tax amount exceed the hypothetical domestic taxes. An employee would profit from lower foreign (effective) taxes. Ta x E q ua l i z a t i o n ( = g e n e r a l t a x e q u a l i z a t i o n ) In this case, a parallel tax calculation is made for the employee in accordance with the taxation laws in his/her home country. The calculated hypothetical tax burden is the burden of the employee. An employer would profit from lower foreign (effective) taxes.


Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

H y p ota x As this is not a real tax for which there are statutory rules of calculation determined by official decree, clear rules are very important in regards to calcuting hypothetical (tax). A clear definition is important that states precisely which income is included (such as personal income, spouse income, losses) and to which degree under which the preciseness and quality of the calculation should be done (e.g. consideration of incomerelated expenses, special expenses). D o u b l e Ta x T r e a t i e s ( DTT ) How does double taxation occur? A taxpayer is subject to paying taxes on his or her income earned worldwide in one country (country of primary residence) and earns income in another country (source country) in which taxes must be paid. The taxpayer maintains two (or more) residences in different countries. Under these circumstances, both countries simultaneously demand the payment of taxes on income earned worldwide. Double Tax Treaties apply only in cases of taxation conflict between two countries. D o u b l e Ta x Tr e a t i e s h e l p c l a r i f y t h e f o l l o w i n g c a s e s : Which country has the right to tax earned worldwide income? On which source of income can another state legitimately claim taxes? Which methods can be used to avoid double taxation?


Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

The following provides a useful over view of relevant r e g u l a t i o n s i n c l u d e d i n m o s t o f t h e D o u b l e Ta x Tr e a t i e s g e n e r a l l y b a s e d o n t h e O E C D M o d e l Ta x C o n v e n t i o n : Ta x R e s i d e n c y u n d e r A r t . 4 o f t h e OECD M o d e l Ta x C o n v e n t i o n An individual shall be deemed a resident only in the country where he/ she resides permanently. If the individual has a permanent home in more than one country, he/she shall be deemed a resident only of the country in which his/her personal and economic relations are closer (centre of vital interests). A l lo c at i o n o f I n co m e Income from Dividends (Art 10 OECD Model Tax Convention) Dividends paid to a resident by a company located in a contracting country of the other contracting country may be taxed in that other country. There are exemptions provided preconditions are met. Income from Interest (Art. 11 OECD Model Tax Convention) Interest earned in a contracting country and paid to a resident in the other contracting country may be subject to taxation in the other country. Income from Employment (Art. 15 OECD Model Tax Convention) Article 15 of the OECD Model Tax Convention states that salaries, wages and other similar remuneration earned by a resident in a contracting country by employment is taxable only in that country unless the employment is practiced in the other contracting country. If such employment is so exercised, remuneration earned may be subject to taxation in that other country. If the work is performed in the other contracting country, the amount earned remains subject to taxation in the country of residency provided:


the recipient is present in the other country for a period or periods that do not exceed the aggregate 183 days in any twelve month period commencing or ending in the fiscal year

Ta x e s , S o c ia l B e n e f i t s  & Na t i o n a l I n s u r a n c e

concerned (within most Double Tax Treaties with Austria the »183 day« rule refers to the calendar year, other treaties may differ in this point), and the amount earned is paid by, or on behalf of, an employer who is not a resident in the other country, and the amount is not borne by a permanent establishment in the employer’s other country. CEO fees (Art. 16 OECD Model Tax Convention) CEO fees and other similar payments by residents from a contracting country in his/her capacity as a member of the board of directors for a company in the other contracting country may be taxed in the other country. E l i m i n a t i o n o f D o u b l e Ta x a t i o n Exemption (Article 23 A OECD Model Tax Convention) In general, when a resident from a contracting country earns income or owns capital subject to tax in the other contracting country, the first-mentioned county shall exempt that income or capital from tax. If a resident from a contracting country is exempt from tax in that country, the country may nevertheless, in order to calculate the amount of tax on the remaining income or capital of such resident, take into account the exempted income or capital (so called »exemption under progression«). Credit (Article 23 B OECD Model Tax Convention) When the resident from a contracting country earns income or owns capital subject to tax in the other contracting country, the first-mentioned country shall allow,an amount equal to the income tax or capital tax paid in that other country as deduction from the tax on the income or capital of that resident. Such deduction in either case shall not, however, exceed that part of the income tax or capital tax, as computed before the deduction is given which is attributable to the income or capital which may be taxed in the other country.


Ov erv ie w on Ke y Topics R e ga r d i n g A u s t r ia n La b o r La w This chapter will provide you with information on the most important mandatory regulations under Austrian labor law to be considered, particularly when employing persons in Austria.

Written Services Note ( » D i e n s t z e t t e l « ) An employee in Austria has the right to a written service note by the employer which lists a written record of rights and obligations in the employment agreement. By law, written service notes must include the employer and employee’s name and address as well as other information. A written service note does not have to be issued to the employee if the duration of employment is less than one month or a written contract was issued containing the information listed above.

Holiday/Vacation ( » U r l a u b s a n s p r u c h « ) Employees are entitled to a minimum of five weeks of paid annual leave (30 work days) annually. After the 26th year of service, holiday entitlement increases to six weeks (36 days of paid leave). The employee must confer with the employer in advance in regards to when to take holiday. 204

Overview on Key Topics R e ga r d i n g A u s t r ia n La b o r La w

The actual dates are to be agreed upon between the employer and the employee in consideration of both business requirements and the employee’s personal wishes (such as recreation, travel, etc).

Continued Payment of Salary During Sick Leave (sick pay) »Krankengeld« White collar employees have the right to continued salary payments in cases of illness of a pre-determined duration the length of which is determined by how the employee has been employed. Blue collar workers are entitled to modified entitlements (in a lower extent).

Work & Residence permits Before starting an assignment in Austria and depending on the individual’s citizenship, personal status and the work performed, different provisions (work permits, residency permits, visas) must be reviewed and applied for. In general, members of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not require a work permit to work legally in Austria. There are, however, some restrictions for EU-membership countries (particularly those that entered the EU in 2004 and 2007). R e s t r ic t ed Wo r k Per m i ts,Wo r k P e r m i t s  &  I n d e f i n i t e W o r k P e r m i t s Non-EU citizens and citizens from so-called »New EU countries« (except for Malta and Cyprus) need a permit issued by the Labor Market Administration to work legally in Austria. A number of conditions must be met and a system of quotas applies. 205

Overview on Key Topics R e ga r d i n g A u s t r ia n La b o r La w

There are exception that apply to: Management Level Positions

Key Employees

Employees in Agriculture

Employees in Tourism

A r e s t r i c t e d w o r k p e r m i t is granted for one year. The employment is dependent on the employer submitting an application. A w o r k p e r m i t is granted for two years under certain conditions; work is permitted only in certain regions. A n u n r e s t r i c t e d w o r k permit is valid for five years. Employment is permitted throughout Austria and the employee is not dependent on any specific employer. These permits may be extended upon application. Residence Permits or Permanent Residence Permits Non-Austrian citizens need a permit obtained first from abroad to reside legally in Austria. Visas are required for short stays and for longer stays, special permits are required. The regulations in diverse provinces vary. Citizens of EEA countries and Switzerland are exempt from these regulations. For more information, please see the chapter ÂťInformation on legal residence in AustriaÂŤ page 19.

Commuter Travel Allowance Commuters Commuters are those who travel long distances between their homes and place of employment.


N o t e : Commuters can also be foreign nationals who reside primarily in a neighboring country (and are citizens of that country) who return to their home country at least once a week and travel to Austria to his/her place of employment.

Overview on Key Topics R e ga r d i n g A u s t r ia n La b o r La w

Commuter Allowance In general, all commuting expenses between home and the place of employment are compensated by a deduction for travel expenses. Under certain terms and conditions, claims can be asserted for a small or large amount of travel allowance. Claims are subject to the following: A designated distance between home and place of employment No possibility/reasonableness to use public transportation Commuting time disproportionate within a wage payment period The flat-rate will reduce your income tax assessment basis and from this amount, your taxes will be re-calculated. Tax savings are 30 percent. If the employee has more than one place of residence, the distance from the nearest residence is decisive (even if it is where you sleep). In regards to time, commuters are entitled to the allowance only if the stretch home-work-home is undertaken more than ten days in one calendar month (for example, part-time work). Holiday or sick leave is not taken into consideration. N o t e : If holidays or sick leave extends longer than the wage period (for example, one month), the conditions of the previous pay period is decisive. The commuter allowance is also available for those on leave – but does not apply to those on leave for a calendar year. N o t e : The actual use of the vehicle must not be proven. For more information, please see: w w v. a t und Kilometergeld






03 0 1 I c e c a v e s ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 0 2 La k e G o s a u ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 0 3 D e c o ra t e d f a ç a d e, S t. Wo l f g a n g ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 0 4 C o a l s e a m, Ka l l e t z b e rg ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s/R ö b l)




tr aveling abroad


Pa s s p o r t  &  Vi s a

2 12

c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g m o n e y 

2 13

Countries that have signed the Schengen Agreement do not conduct passport checks among each other. However, as most countries still conduct manual passport controls it is advisable to carry your passport with you. Before traveling to another country, check the expiration date of your passport to avoid any problems. Some countries will accept an expired passport (but only after five years of expiration). These countries include: Belgium, Germany, France, Greece, Italy, Croatia, Lichtenstein, Luxemburg, Malta, The Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland, Spain, Slovenia, Hungary. A valid passport is required in Austria. If your passport is stolen or lost, you will need a confirmation of theft or loss issued by the police or citizens service office.


Pa s s p o r t  &  Vi s a A passport or a visa is required to travel to other countries. A passport is an official document required for international travel and proof of identity. Passports contains important personal things such as the holder’s full name, date and place of birth, and sex. A passport does not entitle the holder to legally take up residence in the foreign country. Visas and residence permits are required for residency. European Economic Area citizens (all the member countries in the European Union, plus Iceland and Liechtenstein) however, do have the legal right to travel and work in any EU country without a visa.

Expired Passport If your passport expires during your stay in Austria, you must contact your home country’s embassy. For more information on all the foreign embassies in Austria, please see: w w w.bmeia .g v. a t / f ile admin /u s er_ uplo ad /o r acle /ge s a m t l i s t e _ d e . p d f (PDF file: »Verzeichnis des diplomatischen

Korps und anderer Vertretungen in Österreich«)

Austrian Citizens In general, an Austrian passport is valid for ten years. At the time of expiration, renew your passport at the »Bezirkshauptmannschaft«, »Magistrat/Bürgerservice« or the community office in your hometown. To apply for a new passport, complete an application form which will then be sent to the District Authority Office. The application for a new passport will include supplying the following documents such as a photo ID, birth certificate, proof of citizenship and a passport-size photo corresponding to EU guidelines. A new passport will cost € 69.90.


Please contact your local District Authority Office for more information on passport renewal.

Cu r r e n c y  &  C h a n gi n g Money As a member of the European Union, Austria’s economy and currency is linked to member countries and introduced the Euro as common currency throughout Austria.

Currency The following Euro banknotes and coins are in circulation: B a n k n o t e s are issued in denominations of € 5, € 10, € 20, € 50, € 100, € 200 and € 500 Euros C o i n s are issued in € 1 and € 2 Euros as well as 1 c, 2 c, 5 c, 10 c, and 50 c. 1 E u r o = 10 0 c e n t s Euro banknotes and coins are legal currency in all EU countries. In addition the Austrian Mint issues a limited edition of commemorative Euro coins not really intended to be used as means of payment but can be used only within Austria.

Foreign Currencies In regards to foreign currencies, the current rate of exchange applies (buying and selling rates). National and foreign currencies can be transported in and out of the country in unlimited quantities, however currency over € 10,000 must be registered with authorities.

Credit Cards Credit cards are accepted at a number of hotels, restaurants, businesses and petrol stations. Check the front door or entrance of an establishment to see the logos of which credit cards are accepted. Payment by credit card may not be accepted in some rural regions.


c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

Banks & Payment Transactions Austria has many banks and savings banks. Where as banks are private institutions, savings banks are run and/or supported and funded by local public authorities. When searching to open an account at a local bank, international citizens are encouraged to select a large international bank that may even have branches in your home country. Most banks offer a full range of account, investment and insurance services and some banks may even have a real estate division. Almost all banks offer online banking services nowadays and a few banks are pure online banks. Prices and conditions among individual banks can vary greatly and it worth comparing various offers and conditions before selecting a bank. Bu s i n e s s H o u r s Bank business hours vary from bank to bank. Most banks have cash machines (ATM terminals) that allow you to withdraw cash, transfer money, and obtain bank statements around the clock. O p e n i n g a Ba n k A c c o u n t Opening an account in Austria is quick and simple procedure. It may be more difficult to select a bank as Austria has numerous banking institutions and options. To open an account, non-Austrian citizens must present a valid passport and residence registration certificate (»Meldezettel«). C h e c k i n g a c c o u n t s ( = G i r o k o n t o ) are the most widely used and popular type of account in Austria. Checking accounts provide services such as


using a bank card to withdraw cash either from one’s own bank or at another bank that has a cash machine (ATM terminal) located outside of the bank branch that allows cash withdrawals with almost any bank card.

c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

Money transfer services (within Austria as well as abroad) Authorizing standing orders (regular monthly payments, such as monthly rent) Allowing direct debt authorization (debit of fluctuating amounts, such as a telephone bill) Issue transaction reversals (if funds were mistakenly transferred from your account; such as an expired or cancelled contract) When opening a bank account in Austria, you will assisted by a personal customer advisor who will also assist you in the future in regards to financial decisions. After a period of approximately 3 or 4 days you will receive a bank card (ATM card) containing a personal code by mail. Your customer service advisor is important as he/she will be entrusted with your personal information and can sometimes save you a trip to the bank as you can take care of some errands in consultation with your advisor by phone. Discuss the amount of account management fees with your advisor (these can average between € 4 and € 5) and inquire as to if you have an overdraft limit or can agree on an amount.

Money Transfers M o n e y t r a n s f e r s i n A u s t r ia & Abroad Bank transfers allow you to transfer an amount of cash from one account to another. You can either complete a transfer form, or authorize a transfer at a bank terminal or online. Online banking fees are the lowest. Also be aware that bank transfers done by a bank teller at the window can cost up to € 4. In many cases (such as in regards to bills), you will receive a pre-printed bank transfer form containing the amount to be paid as well as the recipient’s account information. Retain all copies of your money transfers. 215

c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

S t a n d i n g o r d e r s : if you transfer the same amount of money regularly every month (such as rent, for example), you can authorize a standing order for the same amount to automatically be transferred from your account to a designated recipient’s account on a certain day of the month. Your bank advisor will help you complete the paperwork to authorize a standing order. You will need to bring your bank card and the recipient’s information. D i r e c t d e b i t ( d i r e c t d e b i t a u t h o r i z a t i o n ) : direct debit authorizations allow you to automatically balance bills that vary from month to month, such as a telephone bill. The recipient receives a direct debit authorization initiated and signed by you. The amount due will then be directly booked from your account. You can cancel direct debit authorization at any time. Some of these forms of payment may be unfamiliar to international residents and many fear that the recipient can take advantage of direct debit services to book unwarranted amounts. All transfers are registered in your statement and can be retroactively reversed. As long as you check your account statements regularly for any mistakes, there should be no problems with direct debit authorization. I n t e r n at i o n a l M o n e y T r a n s fe r s Bank transfers within Austria are normally completed quickly and reliably. Unfortunately sometimes the same does not apply in regards to international transfers. Transfers from and to Austria can sometimes take weeks, especially between banks that have no direct agreement with each other. If there are problems, alternative options are available: S W I F T M o n e y T r a n s f e r : a fast and secure way to transfer funds internationally through a system formed by the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT). SWIFT transfers are normally processed within just a few hours. 216

c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

Theoretically the transferred amount should appear in the recipient’s account within a 24 hour period but it can sometimes take longer. Fees vary and are a combination of a commission, draft fees and set transfer fees. If you have a SWIFT code and BIC code on hand, a money transfer to an EU member country does not cost any more than a transfer within Austria. B a n k C h e c k s : bank checks should generally be sent by registered mail as in the event of theft, the check cannot be cancelled. In Germany bank checks are not handled the same as cash and must therefore be exchanged with personal checks. M o n e y T r a n s f e r s T h r o u g h S e r v i c e P r o v i d e r s : international service providers such as Moneygram or Western Union provide additional options to send secure money transfers. Although this type of transfer was originally designed for customers with no bank account, many agencies provide faster and more secure money transfers compared to a conventional bank transfer. Unfortunately fees can be quite high and can range anywhere from 7 percent to 10 percent of the amount transferred. The system is easy; simply bring the cash amount to a branch office of one of these agencies and indicate at which one of their worldwide branches the recipient will collect the amount. The recipient must proceed to that branch office, show proof of identification, and will then be given the amount. The entire procedure can often take less than 10 minutes. P a y p a l : Citizens of the United States of America should consider registering for Paypal. Originally designed for online transactions, Paypal is also a safe, convenient and inexpensive method of conducting Euro to Dollar transfers. w w


c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

S ta n da r d E U T r a n s fe r Transfers in Europe should not cost any more than a domestic transfer. This EU ordinance applies to transfers of up to € 50,000. Make sure to provide the IBAN (International Bank Account Number) and BIC (Bank Identifier Code). Requirements for a standard EU transfer Standard EU transfers can only be completed in Euros The maximum amount may not exceed € 50,000 The payment must be made to an account in an EU country The recipient’s IBAN and BIC codes must be entered completely and correctly The split of charges must be agreed upon. That means that the processing fees between the payer and recipient must be split (each person pays the fees charged in his/her own country, a transfer commissioned in Austria is free as banks in Austria charge no fees for domestic transfers) For other money transfers abroad the bank will charge a fee. The banks are legally required to inform customers of the fees. Ask your credit institute for a list of fees. If fees apply, the bank will add the fee to the transfer. F o r t r a n s a c t i o n s v i a e - b a n k i n g p l e a s e n o t e : in regards to transactions some banks in European countries have different forms than those for outside of the EU. If you use the wrong form, you may be charged the fees that apply.


c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

The recipient bank requires your bank for a standard EU transfer: Account number Exact designation of account wording Recipient bank Bank indentifier code and/or BIC code Recipient bank’s IBAN (International Bank Account Number) D o m e s t i c Ba n k T r a n s f e r Mind the due date of your payment and the time involved to complete the transfer. Check your account statement to ensure the amount was actually deducted from your account. If you make many, regular transfers, it may be worth examining a different kind of account charging – a flat-rate account containing all entry lines may be less expensive. For individual deductions, the posting line is cheaper for standing and debit orders as for transfers with pay-in slips. Pa y i n g T r a n s f e r F e e s There are various ways to play transfer fees: You assume the fees incurred by your bank. You assume the recipient’s fees as well. In this case, the recipient pays no additional cost. You authorize that the recipient will pay all transfer fees. When deciding, consider a possible contractual rule regarding assuming transfer fees. In general bills can be paid directly as the issuing company. In this case, you must also assume the recipient’s cost. 219

c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

Cash Payments Cash payments do not require having a bank account. In this case the consumer makes a transaction by paying with currency. Consumers can also pay using the post service or by insured letter. In Germany, Austria and Switzerland private households continue to prefer paying by cash. However, the trend continues to move in the direction of cashless payment via debit or credit card. For larger payments, payment by transfer is more common. C a s h o n d e l i v e r y ( » C O D « ) is a common method of payment for goods and items ordered, for example, via a catalogue and delivered directly to the consumer’s home. The delivery person, either from the Austrian Post or another logistics firm, will accept cash payment upon delivery. COD is often a preferred method of payment for online orders in addition to payments such as advanced payment, payment by credit card or by invoice. COD has advantages for consumers in that payment is not due until delivery of the package or letter. The sender has an advantage over sending an invoice that the good(s) will be paid for upon delivery. However, this type of payment can be more expensive than payment by advanced payment or by invoice as mailing services charge higher fees for their services. A d v a n c e d p a y m e n t is part of a contractually due sum paid in advance for goods or services before the seller drafts a contract for delivery of the goods or services. C a s h M a c h i n e s ( A T M M a c h i n e s ) enable bank customers to access their accounts and make cash withdrawals or transfer payments. A few cash machines provide foreign currencies and can inform bank customers on their account balance and past transactions. Cash machines are operated by credit institutes; most of them can be found in bank foyers or located on the outside walls of the bank where they 220

c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

are accessible outside of bank hours. More and more cash machines are also being placed in public locations, such as shopping centers and train stations. Nowadays, cash withdrawals are not only limited to direct withdrawal directly at the bank. Aside from banks, around 3,000 cash machines throughout Austria provide cash withdrawal services around the clock. Cash machines accept both Austrian and international Maestro cards (ATM cards). Additional cash cards include Austrian and international MasterCard, American Express, Visa, and Diner’s cards as well as affiliated Cirrus and Visa Plus cards. Cash withdrawals can be subject to fees that can vary from bank to bank.

Cash Machines (ATM Terminals) Ca s h Wi t h d r a w a l s With your Maestro ATM card you can withdraw cash worldwide around the clock, 365 day a year. Simply follow the instructions on the display screen of the cash machine. T h e » Qui c k « Fu n c t i o n Your Maestro ATM card automatically comes with an additional function known as »Quick«. Instead of carrying a pocket full of change, can simply load small amounts on to the card’s »quick chip« at your ATM machine. Throughout Austria there are more than 95,000 payment terminals that accept payment of small fees using the »Quick« function: All ATM machines

Ticket machines

Pay and Display machines (for parking)

Terminals at university cafeterias & cantinas

Vending machines


Coin-operated washing machines

Cigarette vending machines and many more


c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

A t t h e S t o r e / Pa y i n g b y A TM Ca r d Whether abroad or at the supermarket around the corner, no other method of payment is more simple and convenient. Ciga r e t t e V e n d i n g Ma c h i n e s As of January 1st 1997 the Maestro bank card can be used to unlock vending machines before purchase. The card chip contains an indicator to flag underage consumers as cigarettes are only sold to those age 16+. Personal information is not stores on the cards, ensuring data privacy. The Maestro bank card is also an effective tool to protect minors because, as opposed to customer or guest cards, they are not transferrable. Payment via Quick or by cash can be made after the Maestro card unlocks the vending machine. At t h e P e t r o l S tat i o n Almost all petrol stations in Austria as well as in other European countries accept cashless payment with bank cards, some directly at the pump. And this is how it works: Before pumping gas, select the pump by pressing the corresponding button for one of two options: Pay inside the store Pay at the pump If you select to »pay inside«, you can proceed to pump gas and afterwards pay inside at the cash register. If you selection the »pay at pump« option, insert your Maestro bank card in the designated slot. You will asked to enter your personal PIN code. Remove the card and proceed to fill your tank. If you would like a receipt, indicate on the display you would like a receipt and after pumping gas, press the »OK« button. 222

c u r r e n c y  &  c h a n gi n g money

A s a Cu s t o m e r Ca r d Your Maestro bank card can also be a customer card providing many additional advantages. Each additional customer card can make your wallet increasingly more heavy. Under the motto »one card instead of many«, Maestro bank cards offer an ideal solution to dispense of all of the plastic cards but still reap the benefits enjoyed by regular customers. To learn more on how your bank card can function as a customer card and which benefits are available, see: w w w.bankomatk ar / web/content /de / H ome / M aes tro_ver wenden/als_ Kundenkar te/index.html

Ca n c e l i n g Y o u r Ca r d When should you cancel your PayLife credit card? In case of loss or theft If your PayLife credit card gets stuck in a cash machine or vending machine. If you suspect that your card is being used unlawfully by an unauthorized person. Important: check your monthly statements regularly and report suspicious transactions immediately. If you have applied for a PayLife credit card and/or are waiting for a replacement card and the card has not arrived. C anc eling Your Pay L ife C redit C ard (a s well a s a p plying for a replacement card)? w w

Hilfe bei Kartenverlust

When is the cancellation in effect? The cancellation is in effect after notifying PayLife (or a partner office as well as MasterCard Global Service or VISA Global Customer Assistance Service). From this point on, you will be released from any liability. 223

Sa f e t y , L o s t  &  F o u n d


h o w s a f e i s au s t r ia ? 


f e d e r a l p o l i c e f o r c e i n u p p e r au s t r ia


l o s t  &  f o u n d 


Austria is one of the safest countries in the world and also guarantees a high level of personal freedom. Austria has established a safe and secure social welfare state and although Austria is a safe country, use your common sense to avoid any potentially dangerous and threatening situations.


Âť I a p p r e c ia t e t h a t A u s t r ia has one of the l owest crime r at e s i n Eu r o p e . T h i s i s e s p e c ia l ly i m p o r ta n t to m e i n r e ga r d s to r ai s i n g c h i l d ren here.ÂŤ Na d i n e Li c h t e n berge

r, US

H o w Sa f e i s A u s t r ia ? Safe in Upper Austria – Considerable Decline in the Crime Rate Compared to the previous year, crime statistics in the first quarter of 2010 have gone down significantly in regards to auto theft (by 53.3 percent) and home burglary (by 27.4 percent) In all, the crime rate in Austria has sunk by 7.46 percent. The interior ministry credits the significant decline to extensive, increased measures by the police in place since 2009. For many groups associated with criminal activity, Austria is no longer as attractive to commit crime due to increased police presence coupled with strategies in place to fight crime. Crime in Upper Austria has declined greatly and criminal offenses have gone down by 17.65 percent. At 51.47 percent, the conviction rate is quite high. Source: w w w . b m i . g v . a t


Feder al Police Force i n U p p e r A u s t r ia Over 2,800 police officers at over 145 police stations safeguard the city and ensure law and order in Upper Austria. Contact your local police station for any questions regarding fighting crime, assistance, self-defense and crime prevention. Police officers have over 690 police vehicles and motorcycles at their disposal on duty and on patrol throughout regions in Upper Austria. Law enforcement officers have 16 boats and other water vehicles to protect and safeguard Austria’s lakes and waterways as well as protect and serve the public. You can contact the police in Upper Austria at the following service number: +43 (0)59133-40 (local rates apply). In case of emergency, dial 133 for immediate police assistance. For more information, please see: w w w.bunde s p o lizei.g v. a t /o o e /p o lizei. a s p


L o s t  &  F o u n d W h at d o yo u n e e d to d o i f yo u h av e f o u n d s o m e t h i n g ? ( finder’s resp onsibilit y ) If you have found an article or item over € 10 in value, the finder is required (without culpable delay) to turn the item in to the nearest Lost and Found Office and submit required information that could help locate the owner (location of found item/time found). W h e r e Ca n Y o u Tu r n I n L o s t I t e m s ? The Lost and Found Office in Linz is located in the civic center building (»Neues Rathaus«) and found items can be turned in during regular operating hours. In addition, found items may be submitted to one of 11 decentralized city libraries during regular operating hours. Outside of regular operating hours, items can be brought to the Citizen Services Center or to the local police station. In smaller cities and towns, please contact your local community service center. Where c an I turn in a s tr ay animal? Stray animals can be turned over to your local animal shelter. Animal Shelter of Upper Austria-Federal Rescue Agency Mostnystraße 16, 4040 Linz

You can also call the Linz Fire Department in cases of animal rescue. +43 (0)732/3342-0 228

l o s t  &  f o u n d

W h a t r ig h t s d o I h a v e a s t h e f i n d e r ? F i n d e r ’ s F e e : The finder is entitled to a finder’s fee paid by the true owner of the lost item or property. The Lost and Found office is not authorized to demand a finder’s fee or pay out a finder’s fee. The two parties involved must mutually agree on an amount. Authorities will provide both parties with contact information in regards to the article’s finder or owner. In case of disagreement, a court will decide the amount of the finder’s fee. A claim to receiving a finder’s fee must be submitted when turning in the lost item or property. The finder will receive a printed confirmation by the Lost and Found Office. Finder’s fees are generally between 2.5 percent and 10 percent. Source: p o r t a l . l i n z . g v . a t A–Z

Bürgerservice Service Sicherheit und HIlfe Funde/ Verluste

Lost Property W h at d o I d o i f I h av e los t something? If you have lost something, you can contact the Lost and Found Office in the civic center building (Neues Rathaus) by e-mail or in person during regular operating hours. The Lost and Found office is open Monday to Thursday from 07:00 to 12:30 and again from 13:30 to 18:00, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 07:00 to 13:30, and Fridays from 07:00 to 14:00. All items turned into to locations throughout Linz will be sent to the Lost and Found office for central administration and distribution. In smaller cities and towns, please contact your local community civic center. If you inquire about a lost item by phone, please provide a detailed description of the lost item. If the described item has not been turned into the Lost and Found office, the office can accept notice of loss by phone. If you need an official print-out of the notice of loss for official purposes,


l o s t  &  f o u n d

you must obtain it at the Lost and Found office in person (fee of € 2.10 applies). When submitting a notice of loss by phone, please provide the following information: the approximate location of where the item was lost, the approximate time the item was lost, a detailed description of the item, your full name, date of birth, address, your phone number and e-mail address. To retrieve a lost item, the owner must appear in person (or appoint a proxy) and present an official photo ID. The owner must be able to clearly identify the item and prove to the »Lost and Found« office that the item belongs to him/her. This includes providing a detailed description of the item, presenting a second key, if applicable, or, if the item is a mobile phone, entering your pin code or presenting a contract of sale, etc. If the owner has appointed a proxy to retrieve the item, the proxy must present a written letter of authorization by the owner. Call Monday to Friday between 07:00 to 18:00 to inquire by phone about lost items. +43 (0)732/7070-0

You can also conduct a search online. A 24-hour hotline service is available at: +43 (0)900 600 200 (fees of € 1.36/min apply). W h at d o I d o i f n o o n e h a s ( y e t ) turned in the lost item? You can report the loss of an item to the Lost and Found office or at any one of the 11 branches of the city library during regular operating hours. After speaking with an employee in person, you can request an official confirmation of loss for a fee of € 2.10. If, for example, you have lost your mobile phone, you will need the confirmation of loss to obtain a new SIM card from your provider. To obtain a confirmation of loss, bring a photo ID with you. 230

l o s t  &  f o u n d

A confirmation of loss (»Verlustmeldung«) is not the same as a notice of loss (»Verlustanzeige«). A confirmation of loss only means you have reported the item missing to the Lost and Found office. A notice of loss is issued by the police and associated with a right to something, such as a driver’s licenses, a weapon permits, car license plates, vehicle letter of admission, etc.. Losing one of the above official documents must be reported to the police. Only a notice of loss issued officially by the police will permit you to drive a vehicle temporarily in case you lose a driver’s license, etc. L o s t K e y S e r v i c e i n Li n z Every year, over 1,000 keys (individual keys, keys on keychains, lanyards, etc.) are turned into the Lost and Found office in Linz. Only a third of these keys are ever claimed and the rest must be disposed of after a year. On March 1st 2010 the city of Linz opened a lost key service office offering registered key chains. For a fee of € 2, you can purchase a key chain containing an individual number and imprint. Anyone who finds the keys can turn the key in at the Lost and Found office or one of the 11 branches of the city library. The office can trace the information registered in the computer and notify you that your keys have been found. You do not have to submit a change of address notice if you move anywhere within Austria – the office can locate you via the information on the key chain. Please note that for data privacy reasons, these key chains can only be purchased by you or for your minor age children. I m p o r t a n t : Please bring a photo ID with you. These services are not only available for residents of Linz, but for all persons residing legally in Austria.


r e l igi o n i n au s t r ia


L e ga l l y R e c o g n i z e d C h u r c h e s  & R e l igi o u s C o m m u n i t i e s 


R e gi s t e r e d C o n f e s s i o n a l C o m m u n i t i e s 


G e n e r a l I n f o r m at i o n o n L e av i n g t h e C h u r c h i n A u s t r ia


Co n tac t I n f o r m at i o n f o r C h u r c h e s


c h u r c h c o n t r i b u t i o n s  &  t a x 


In regards to religious tolerance, there has historically been many contrary moments. Austria has always been a stronghold of Catholicism, resulting time and again in the religious persecution of Austrian citizens of Jewish faith. Under National Socialism practiced under the Third Reich, many Austrian Jewish citizens were forced to flee Austria and many others were murdered in concentration camps. Many of these citizens were significant artists, important intellectuals and scientists. Protestants were also religiously persecuted in Austria and during the counter-reformation, thousands were forced to leave the central regions of the Habsburg monarchy. Later, during the period of Austrofascim, Protestants were not permitted to hold official offices. Conversely, under a Joseph II, a proponent of enlightened absolutism, his famous Patent of Tolerance permitted the free worship for Protestants under within certain constraints. During the royal and imperial monarch at the time of the occupation of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Austria was the first European nation to recognize Islam as an official religion. 233



L e ga l ly R e c o g n i z e d C h u r c h e s  &  R e l igi o u s Co m m u n i t i e s Legal recognition bestows public-legal recognition of a church or religious community, whereby this position means the church becomes a corporate body subject to public law. A characteristic of these types of corporate bodies is in the perception of tasks by public interest. Thus, this means in addition to religion, social, societal and culture-political tasks are serving the common welfare. The Austrian Federal Ministry for Education, Arts and Culture offers additional information on legally recognized churches and religious communities in Austria.


0 1 Ki rc h e a m S t e i n, S c h ä rd i n g a m I n n (TV S c h ä rd i n g) 0 2 C a t h e d ra l o f t h e I m m a c u l a t e C o n c e p t i o n, Li n z ( M a g i s t ra t Li nz)

L e ga l l y R e c o g n i z e d C h u r c h e s  &  R e l igi o u s Communities

T h e r e a r e c u r r e n t l y 14 c h u r c h e s a n d r e l i g i o u s c o m munities legally recognized in Austria: Old Catholic Church of Austria Armenian Apostolic Church in Austria Protestant Church (Augsburger and Helvetic Confessions) Protestant Methodist Church in Austria Greek Eastern Orthodox Churches Greek Oriental Orthodox Church Community of Saint George Bulgarian Orthodox Church Community of Saint Ivan Rilski Romanian Greek Oriental Church Community of the Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church Community of St. Nikolaus Serbian Greek Orthodox Church of St. Sava

Islamic Religious Community Jewish Religious Association Jehovah’s Witnesses Catholic Church Roman Catholic Rites Greek Catholic Rites Armenian Catholic Rites

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) in Austria Coptic Orthodox Church in Austria New Apostolic Church in Austria Austrian Buddhist Religious Association Syrian Orthodox Church in Austria w w


R e gi s t e r e d C o n f e s s i o n a l Co m m u n i t i e s As of January 1998, supporters of confessions not yet legally recognized in Austria can join registered confessional communities and acquire legal entity after submitting an application to the Federal Ministry of Education, Art and Culture after the expiration of a six month deadline N o t e : Acquiring legal entity as a »registered confessional community« is not the same as legal recognition as a church or religious society. The following is a list of registered confessional communities in Austria: Bahá’i – Religious Community in Austria Federation of Baptist Congregations in Austria Federation of Evangelical Congregations in Austria Christian Movement for Religious Renewal in Austria ELAIA Christian Community Free Christian Community (Pentecostolists) Hindu Religious Society in Austria Church of the Seventh Day Adventists Mennonite Free Church of Austria The Pentecostal Community of God in Austria 236

G e n e r a l I n f o r m at i o n o n Le av i ng t h e Ch u rch i n A u s t r ia The applicant must declare to the local authority that he/she is leaving a legally recognized church, religious community or state registered religious denomination community: District Authority Office City Magistrate Office Required documentation: Official photo identification Proof of membership of the religious community through for example: Certificate of baptism Marriage certificate (if applicable as change-of-name document) Confirmation certificate, godparent statement Proof of payment or request for payment of church contributions to the church division at the tax office Additional confirmation issued by the religious community regarding membership N o t e : the documentation required to officially leave the church can vary from province to province. Please contact the corresponding authorities to learn more about the procedures in your area. Leaving the church is then only official after providing correct information on your membership to the church or religious community and the authorities have been officially informed. 237

G e n e r a l I n f o r m at i o n on Le aving the Church i n A u s t r ia

In the best interest of the person wishing to leave the church, it is recommended to bring proof of membership to avoid »sensitive« information on a person’s religious affiliation mistakenly being forwarded to the incorrect religious community. The official act of leaving the church is preceded by a personal talk or by writing (by letter or by use of official forms issued by authorities). If you have declared your intentions in writing, please provide copies. Non-Austrian citizens can submit a declaration to officially leave the church or religious community to Austrian authorities if their primary residence is in Austria.

C o n ta c t I n f o r m at i o n for Churches Roman-Catholic: Department of Spiritual Guidance Services in Foreign Languages, Diocese Linz: Kapuzinerstraße 55, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/7610-3136 or +43 (0)732/7610-3136 w w w.dioezese

Evangelical Church A.B. Linz City Center (Martin Luther Church) Johann-Konrad-Vogel-Straße 2a, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/7773260 w w w.linz-

Old Catholic Church of Linz, Prunerstift Fabrikstraße 10 (Hofgebäude), 4020 Linz +43 (0)732//773046 w w /altk atholiken-linz /

Romanian Orthodox Church Harrachstraße 7, 4020 Linz 238

L e ga l l y R e c o g n i z e d C h u r c h e s  &  R e l igi o u s Communities

+43 (0)732/771205

Syrian Orthodox Church Kroatengasse 9, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/602033 w w w.tur

Evangelical-Methodist Church, Linz Wienerstraße 260, 4030 Linz +43 (0)732/341439

Jewish Synagogue in Linz Bethlehemstraße 26, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/779805 Services: Friday, 19:00 (to attend, please call in advance) Islamic Center for Upper Austrian and Salzburg Glimpfingerstraße 1, 4020 Linz +43 (0)732/343314

Islamic Religious Community in Linz, Upper Austria w w

New Apostolic Church Prechtlerstraße 14, 4030 Linz +43 (0)7229/71 595 Rudolfstraße 36, 4040 Linz +43 (0)681/10720344 w w w.nak .at

Buddhist Center Linz w w w.diamant / linz / w w /

Hinduism in Austria w w w. m a n d i r. a t 239

Co n tac t I n f o r m at i o n for Churches

Th e p a r i s h c h u rc h i n B a d H a l l (TV B a d H a l l/W e i s s e n b r u n n e r)

Ch u rch Co n t r i b u t i o ns & Ta x Church taxes paid by church members provide the financial means to maintain spiritual guidance services, assistance, education and youth group work. Services provided by the Catholic Church in Austria include kindergartens, youth clubs, social facilities and schools and are indispensable in today’s world. To reliably provide these services, a strong financial base is required to cover, for example, utility costs and staff salaries. Church tax covers the basic costs of work by the church. Church taxes are compulsory for members of the Catholic Church in Austria and for members who have not officially left the church by submitting the required paperwork through the proper channels (after registering your residence in Austria, you may receive an initial letter from the church in regards to church taxes even if you belong to a different religious community or are of a different faith. If you receive a letter of this kind, consider the letter null and void). Church members age 20+ with an income subject to church taxes, and regardless of citizenship, are required to pay church tax to the Diocese in their area of primary residence. Church taxes are calculated based on tariffs. The tariff is currently 1.1 percent of an individual’s income subject to contributions. Under certain circumstances, reductions can be considered which can mean up to € 200 in tax deductions. D e s i g n a t e a P u r p o s e : The Catholic Church in Upper Austria offers members an option to designate 50 percent of their church contributions to fund selected church projects and organizations (such as pontifical support of the employed, church youth groups and youth centers, head of the Universal Church), etc. 240

Income from Abroad Income from abroad that is not subject to taxation in Austria is still considered a contribution base unless church contributions are being paid in an equal amount to a church abroad.

Church Tax for Members of the Evangelical Church In general, every member of the church must pay 1.5 percent of his/her total taxable income, minus a deduction of â‚Ź 44. There are also church tax deductions for children, single income earners, etc.

Members of Buddhist Religious Association The Austrian Buddhist Religious Association does not require members to pay a compulsory church tax. 241

good bye


g e n e r a l i n f o r m at i o n


moving to another country


We sincerely hope your stay in Austria has left you with many memorable impressions, positive experiences, and new friends. If the time has come to move on to another country where new challenges await, we would like to provide a checklist of things to do before leaving Austria. We hope to one day perhaps welcome you and your family back to Austria again.


Vi e w o f Li nz /U r f a h r - C i v i c C e n t e r w h e re re g i s t ra t i o n a u t h o r i t i e s a re h o u s e d ( M a g i s t ra t Li n z)

G e n e r a l I n f o r m at i o n Anyone moving out of an apartment in Austria is required to inform the responsible registration authorities. N o t e : If you are moving to another residence within Austria, you can submit a change of address on the registration form changing the old address to the new one. Individuals who neglect or fail to comply with the legal regulations of registration – even though moving did not take effect or accommodations were not given up – still commit a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine of up to € 726 (up to € 2,180 in cases of recurrence). D e a d l i n e : Within three days before moving or within three days after moving.

Responsible Authority Registry Office (»Meldebehörde«) The municipal office Statutory towns: the Magistrate


g e n e r a l i n f o r m at i o n

Procedure You can unregister in person or by mail as well as by messenger. Forms sent by fax or e-mail cannot be accepted for legal reasons. N o t e : minors must be unregistered by parents or legal guardians, mentally challenged persons by responsible guardians or landlords. To unregister, please submit a completed form to the authorities so they can enter all relevant data into the system. The form is available online, at the registration office, or at tobacco shops. N o t e : one form per person must be submitted. The landlord is not required to sign forms to unregister. You will receive written confirmation. R e q u i r e d D o c u m e n t a t i o n : Official Photo ID (proof of identity) F e e s : No fees apply.

Moving Notification Various bureaucratic and administrative tasks are an integral part of a move and should be addressed in advance, observing given deadlines. If moving, the following should be on your notification list: Termination of a Rental Agreement w w w. a r b e i t e r k a m m e r. c o m Mietvertrag und Wohnen



For information on: Waste Disposal/Waste Management,Vehicles, GIS (Radio and Television Fees), Telephone and Internet Provider, Kindergarten, After-School Daycare, Schools, Electric and Power Company, Parking Permit and Cable Television Provider see: w w v. a t


Mov ing to A nother Co u n t ry Moving Checklist Timely notification to terminate an old rental agreement Read the meter in regards to gas, electricity, water, heating (in the old and new residence!) Unregister/transfer registration of heating/gas and electricity from the former residence Unregister/transfer registration of radio and television/cable providers Unregister/transfer registration of telephone/internet providers Register children at a new child care facility/school/after-school day care facility on time Nachsendeauftrag f端r die Post beantragen Submit a forwarding and/or change of address form to the post office Apply for approval of special leave for moving from your employer Make an appointment for the tenant walk-through/changeover (handover certificate) Return resident parking permit


moving to another country

If applicable, plan or agree upon any required renovation/refurbishment work to the old or new residence If applicable, hire a moving company If applicable, organize movers, packing boxes and transportation and set a date for the move Inform your insurance company before your move in regards to homeowner’s insurance (in general, insurance coverage extends to the actual move itself) If applicable, organize short-term parking for loading and unloading the moving truck If applicable, collect all records and receipts in regards to moving (for tax deduction purposes) Document the condition of the new residence before moving (such as maintaining a handover protocol and taking photos) Obtain information on waste disposal/waste management in your area Request a final rental invoice for the old residence Cancel any standing bank orders for rent, utilities, etc. for the former residence N o t e : The checklist above is intended as a general guideline in regards to moving and does claim to be a full and complete list. 247




01 02

0 1 Ko p p e n w i n k e l La k e, O b e r t ra u n ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 0 2 I n t r i c a t e w o o d e n g a t e, N e u k i rc h e n ( O Ö. To u r i s m u s/R ö b l) 0 3 D e e r a n t l e rs c o m m o n l y f o u n d i n U p p e r A u s t r i a n h o m e s ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 0 4 E n j o y i n g a l o c a l f e s t i v a l, B a d G o i s e r n ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s) 0 5 Pa n o ra m i c v i e w, H a a g a m H a u s r u c k ( O Ö.To u r i s m u s/R ö b l)




04 05




accommodation  23, 44, 63, 196, 244 155  193 airlines  160 airport 43, 51 144, 148 alcohol 107, 165 43, 76, 80, 83, 90,  104, 108, 130, 196, 202 alphabet 58 architecture  17, 43, 52, 123, 137 34


birth  26, 147, 157, 178,194 19, 119 bus 84, 115 57, 155, 164, 168, 177, 203 business location 32


change of adress


fauna & flora 23, 26, 37, 77, 182 19 food  72, 91, 107 96, 128, 132, 192, 214  16, 30, 43, 45, 74, 98, 200, 202


Gebühreninformationsservice (GIS) 245 145 general information  20, 48, 56, 68  14, 47, 68 142, 177, 200 Graz  16, 18, 51



checklist  246 child care  140, 166, 189, 194, 246 27, 120 citizenship 26, 41, 57, 205, 212, 240 cluster initiatives 29, 32 consulate  14, 16, 25, 36, 79, 135 39, 151 cooking  191, 214, 221 27, 64, 99 cost of living  91, 107 creative industry 123 34 culinary delights 84, 89, 93, 96, 100, 219 100 cultural landscape 33, 68 cultural scene 16, 44, 53, 115, 124, 134, 148


Danube 18, 23, 28, 31,41, 45, 47, 52, 78,  97, 106, 149, 172, 192 16, 164, 172, 174 drinks  94 96 51, 76, 104, 178, 203 driver’s licence  63, 100, 231  90, 150, 177, 180 drugs 118, 196, 204


EEA citizens  19, 26, 31, 33, 36, 57, 160,  173, 177, 184, 205 embassy  14, 25, 29, 32, 36, 79, 135, 212  39, 151 emergency 19, 56, 75, 155, 161, 165, 173, 227  70, 114, 126, 129, 137, 178, 185 events  85, 136, 148 13, 44, 54, 79, 86,  94, 115, 126, 134, 148, 158, 170, 176,  180, 184, 186, 193 37, 146, 166


hiking  30, 41, 68, 73, 78, 116, 167, 199  17, 38 hospital  133, 154, 162, 166, 168, 175, 186  90, 116, 119, 128, 190, 201 house pets  78 insurance 23, 28, 65, 83, 97, 111, 154, 156,  162, 172, 175, 179, 183, 188, 247  120, 124, 128, 179, 188, 201 insurance card  154, 162, 176, 184 128 international clubs 35 internet  98, 189, 245 219 135, 138


key personnel  kitchen 


lakes  227  30, 50, 68, 78, 93, 170, 180 197, 222 17 language institutes 54 legal residence  19, 26, 31, 35, 206 Linz 61, 64, 88, 101, 105, 128, 133, 135, 144, 228, 238 16, 34, 41, 47, 48, 52, 56, 68, 96, 106, 124, 132, 134, 148, 160, 169, 176, 184, 192, 207, 212, 216, 220 17, 24, 30, 34, 54, 84, 98, 106, 128, 139, 145,  158, 166, 168, 186


Magistrat20, 83, 141, 147, 168, 212, 237, 244 maternity  63, 154, 171, 178, 183 119 measures 60, 182

30 67 121, 214



National Park  naturalization nature  night life


Ă–BB 150, 154, 168 outdoor  159  45, 53, 93, 149, 160, 180, 195, 199 51




23, 68, 116, 170 16 40 69, 129, 170 197

parking 46, 70, 221, 245 72 , 84, 158, 163 passport 22, 103, 211, 212 150 permanent residence 21, 30, 38, 40 pharmacies  176 118, 121 phone  66, 161, 229, 245  70, 84, 134, 155, 183 post office  65, 246 137, 142 pregnancy  119 public transportation 66, 83, 85, 177, 207  29, 168, 171 railway  172 18, 34, 41, 43, 51, 59, 111, 120,  165, 195 90, 154, 172, 174, 176 recycling  68, 71, 73, 74 86 registration certification  33, 38, 115, 156, 214 religion  133, 234 15 14 rental law  48, 51, 52, 54, 55, 60 residence permit 19, 20, 28, 30, 40, 57, 212 residence title 23, 25, 27 safety  41, 68, 150, 224 177, 180, 185 Salzburg 94, 107, 239 14, 17, 24, 28, 43, 44,  85, 120, 174 14, 17, 21, 104, 147, 160, 174 school 28, 40, 90, 118, 177, 194, 197, 240, 245  52, 117, 143, 175, 180, 212, 214, 216  52, 170 self-employment 35, 96 settlement status 34 shopping  148, 221 20, 96, 190 66, 74 signs  108, 175 68, 79, 86, 179, 182 sizes 60, 66

skiing 33, 41, 158, 163 17, 38, 156 smoking  43, 71, 125, 200 spouse club  35 Steyr  101, 133 41, 46, 108, 133,  152, 156, 194 33, 117, 169 symbols  76 68


table manners 95 108 tax  50, 66, 96, 109, 115, 177, 188, 240  104, 153, 163, 178, 184 Tourist Information  37, 151, 209 150, 166 traditions  17, 31, 56, 74, 81, 93, 98, 100,  105,198, 214, 221 45, 50 train  41, 223 154, 158, 168


unemployment benefit unemployment insurance  UNESCO


vaccination 78, 158 veterinary certificate 82 Vienna  37, 88 14, 20, 23, 31, 42, 44, 51,  98, 115, 159, 192, 221 14, 39, 158, 174 visa  20, 36, 205, 212 150 Vorteilscard 155


Wachau 18, 41 waste separation 68, 257 86 weapons  65 63 205 wellness 162, 200 Wels  101, 133, 139 48, 53, 60, 64, 76,  108, 130, 133, 145, 153, 174, 188,  194, 220 33, 117, 146, 169 World Heritage 13, 16, 111, 174



173, 183 172, 189 192 16, 38

85 19, 76


112 122 133 144 120 123 128 140 141 142 147

Universal Emergency Number Fire Police Ambulance Car Roadside Assistance (ÖAMTC) Car Roadside Assistance (ARBÖ) Gas Leaks Mountain Rescue Paramedics Animal Rescue Te e n H e l p H o t l i n e

+43 (0)732 /2144 R e d C r o s s P r i m a r y C o n t r o l C e n t e r +43 (0)732 /1558 F l o o d i n g – E a r l y W a r n i n g S y s t e m +43 (0)732 /7803 F e d e r a l P o l i c e C e n t r a l B u r e a u Linz AG

+43 (0)732/3409 +43 (0)732 /3409 +43 (0)732 /3400-6222 +43 (0)732 /3400-6333 +43 (0)1 /4064343 +43 (0)800 /112112 +43 (0)800/600607 +43 (0)800 /222555 +43 (0)800 /230144 +43 (0)664 /2763848

Heating – Emergency Service Power Outage Water Main Breaks Sewer Poison Control Center Emergency Services for Victims Ö3 Crisis Hotline Abuse Hotline for Battered Women Water Rescue Services Animal Rescue

To help you and your family start enjoying life in Upper Austria as quickly as possible, »I Live« has summarized and compiled important information on administrative procedures including residence information, etc. »I Live« contains useful tips and contact information to help support your relocation efforts and the ensuing transition phase.

ISBN 978-3-200-01962-1


Teil 1 vom pocketguide

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you