ARTISTIC VILNIUS My Vilnius Guide
Vilnius Concert and Sport Centre Vilnius Concert and Sport Centre was designed by Eduardas Chlomauskas. The construction work started in 1965 and finished in 1971. It is the only cable-stayed building in Lithuania. On 23th October, 1988 the first SajĹŤdis meeting was held there.
Vilnius the 1st power station While other countries already used electricity, Vilnius still used kerosene to light up its streets. On November 19th, 1898 it was decided to built a power station in Vilnius.
In 1905 a sculpture Electricity was built. It symbolises the defeat of electrical lighting over gas lighting. The woman symbolises the electrical light and the fallen man symbolises gaseous light. Now there is Energy and Technology museum in the power station building. There you can see a power station construction, turbines, generators, pipes, little wind and Sun power stations. You can get information about alternative energy, too. Radvilos residence The Radvilos were a dinasty of LDK noblemen, who became famous in XV century and remained famous till the end of the Grand Ducky of Lithuania. John Ulrich designed a residence for them in the XVII century. Now there is an art museum and exposition halls.
Vilnius University library Vilnius university library was opened in 1570 by Jesuits. One of the two first Lithuanian remaining books, Catechism,- is kept there. It is the oldest Lithuanian academic library, it is nine years older than Vilnius university.
A.Mickevičius sculpture Adomas Mickevičius was the most famous Lithuanian poet in the XIX century. He is also known as a Polish literature classic. In 1984 a sculpture was build, by Gediminas Jakūbonis design. Near that sculpture an important meeting was once held. The goal of this meeting was to show other countries that Lithuania want to be free. It was held on the anniversary of Molotov Ribbentrop pact.
Chodkevičiai residence The Chodkevičiai were one of the most important Lithuanian dinasties. They built their residence with a garden and a tower in the XVII century. Vilnius picture galery was established there in 1994. The building also holds Lithuanian art museum administration, a library, archive.
M. K. Čiurlionis house Čiurlionis was a famous Lithuanian composer, artist and choir conductor. Čiurlionis lived in this house 1907-1908. Now the house holds Čurlionis memorial room, a concert hall and an information center.
Kazimieras church Kazimieras was a prince, Jogaila's grandson, the saint and the patron of Lithuania. From 1904 to 1915 the church was built in his honour. The construction was supervised by Jonas Frankevičius. It is the first and the oldest baroque church in Vilnius.
National philharmonic In the place there we now have national philharmonic, there used to be the Russian merchants' house in the XVI century. In the XX century the city council decided to build a hall for plays and concerts, which was designed by a Russian architect Konstantin Korojedow. On November 1st, 1940 the national philharmonic was opened there. On September 4th, 1906 the first Lithuanian opera Birutė was performed there.
Aušros gate (Gate of Dawn) Aušros or Medininkų gate is the only remaining gate of five first Vilnius gates. It was mentioned for the first time in 1515. It was called Medininkų gate, later Porta Acialis or Sharp gate, then Ašmenos gates. Now the gate is known as the gate of Dawn or Aušros gate.
Location of points of interest
Walking distance – 4 km Duration – approx. 1 hour (plus time inside) Access interactive map and information at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JUWUT_Re6RDSVDAiStUF6CB8Py0&usp=sharing
For access by public transport refer to www.transport.lt
Created by: Danielė Ramanauskaitė, 6th gr. Progimnazija „MAGIS“, Vilnius