SIXTH FORM BULLETIN – Week Beginning 31st October 2011 UCAS Good luck to all those students who have already applied for University places. We have sent off 13 applications so far: 7 Cambridge applications: Jack Alexander, Richard Andrews, Alex Benham, Max Ford, John Harding, Scott Kemp and Sam Lumley. 6 medic/vet/dentistry: Roxanne DeanAshardi, Tasmin Maxwell, Bryony McPherson, Natasha Moore, Deborah Murcott and Matt Priest. Reminder to all year 13 students to complete their personal statements as soon as possible and aim for an early application (MidNovember). This gives a better chance of gaining offers. Steve Preshous JANUARY EXAMS – The January exams timetable will be available on the Exams section of the school website. CALLING ALL YEAR 12 STUDENTS Are you interested in pursuing law, journalism or charity work? Would you like to improve your leadership and campaigning skills? If the answer is yes then Miss Hill needs you! Amnesty Club ‘I really need some enthusiastic year 12s to come and meet with me to work out a plan of action for Amnesty club.’ Ideally 3 or 4 year 12s who would be looking to take the lead on it for at least a term, and particularly around Amnesty's 50th birthday in December.’ Please see Miss Hill if you are interested Declaration of Parliament Representatives We are pleased to announce the results of the Student Parliament elections for 20112012. Please pass on your congratulations. Year 12 Rep 1: Hani Latif Rep 2: Ed Smith Year 13 Rep 1: Harry Wright Rep 2: Holly Armstrong Business & Management Taster for year 13 at Queen Mary, University of London Wednesday 9 November 2011, 10am 4.15pm. As part of the London Taster Course Programme 2011 2012, the School of Business and Management, Queen Mary, University of London, is running a free taster course for year 13 Students in Business and Management studies. If anyone is interested in attending, then please contact Ade Alele at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a place. In the email we request that you provide the school name and address along with your full name. Further details regarding the taster day at http://www.busman.qmul.ac.uk/newsandevents/events/items/46952.html LES MISERABLES – HELP NEEDED If anyone would be interested in helping to design and paint the set for the school production of ‘Les Miserables’, please see Dulcie Wagstaff, 13 SEM HALLOWEEN CAKE SALE As part of our COPE project, a group of students are organising a cake sale for Tuesday 1st November. We are raising money for a charity called 'Stop Hunger'. The cakes will be on sale throughout break and lunch. We hope to see you there. (http://www.stophungernow.org) Sophie Cooper, Emily Sullivan, Tim Andrews, Kathryn Stonebridge, Chloe Jones, Holly Armstrong and Sam Milne
CHRISTMAS FAIR On Friday 9th December after school for a few hours, we are going to be holding a Christmas Fair in the Sixth Form Common Room which is open to the whole school. We are looking for any sixth form students who have a small business or hobby; maybe making things they can sell e.g. cakes, DVDs, computer games, art work, etc. Please see Mrs Salt if you have any ideas. Also we are looking for some more students to help us with the organisation of this ambitious event, so please also contact Mrs Salt if you think you could manage it. Thanks! PIZZA Dominoes Pizza on Thursday 20th was a great success, thanks for taking part. Special thanks to Sam Ring, Alice Sanz, Clover Sykes, Kathryn Stonebridge, Tim Andrews, Nathan Marvell and Dom Claytor for helping out.
A LEVEL MATHMATICIANS Stuck with mathematics? Need help? Mrs Mahoney is usually in the Common Room to offer one to one and small group tuition Monday p 1 and 5, Tuesday p4 and 5, Friday p 3. COMMON ROOM Please help our cleaners by putting all of your rubbish in the bins and putting the chairs on the tables at the end of each school day. Thank you Do Something Amazing...GIVE BLOOD 96% of us rely on the other 4% to give blood. Please don’t leave it to someone else. HERTFORD THEATRE, THE WASH, HERTFORD. Tuesday 1st November 2011 IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS FOR OUR BULLETIN PLEASE CONTACT LYNN SALT.
SIXTH FORM IMPORTANT DATES HALF TERM 24TH – 28TH October Assembly Y13 1ST NOVEMBER Cake Sale 1ST NOVEMBER Assembly Y12 3RD NOVEMBER 6th Form Open Evening Thursday 17th November 6.00 – 9.00pm Autumn Concert Tuesday 22nd November Occasional Day – School Closed Friday 25th November
Design a Christmas card competition
Win the chance to have your very own design on the front of the official 2011 Simon Balle Christmas card. Send your designs to the front office by the 4th November 2011. Open to pupils, parents/carers and staff. Any media can be used: painting, drawing, photography, textiles. For more details see the Art Department webpage.
Sixth Form Bulletin w/b 31/10/11