SIXTH FORM BULLETIN – Week Beginning 10TH October 2011 ASSEMBLY Year 12 – Thursday 13th October. Year 13 – Tuesday 11th October. Senior Student Leadership Team be presenting during both Assemblies this week. SIXTH FORM CHARITY COMMITTEE (SFCC) The Sixth Form Charity Committee held their first event this week. They sold over 450 cakes and beverages during the open evenings. They also held a name our teddy competition. (‘Puffle’ is now on his way to his new home. Congratulations to Brian Hummerston for choosing the winning name.) Many thanks to all those who helped make and sell the cakes, especially Chris Holdys, year 12, who did the shopping and organised the baking. The evenings were a huge success and raised over £200 for the chosen charity, MIND.
Mind helps people take control of their mental health. We do this by providing highquality information and advice, and campaigning to promote and protect good mental health for everyone. ENGLISH LUNCH Our first Sixth Form English lunch takes place on Monday 10th October. Over 25 year 12 and 13 students will be joining a group of English teachers to discuss the course content in both English Lit and Lit/Lang. We hope this will be a regular event and will keep you updated. SPORT 1ST XI Football v London Nautical School. Monday 10 th October. Away fixture. Players should get changed at break and meet in the changing room at 12:00. Good luck! GLAXOSMITHKLINE WORK EXPERIENCE OPPORTUNITES – 13 TH TO 17 TH FEBRUARY 2012 st Please see Julie Calder for more info. Deadline for applications is 1 November. If you have already expressed an interest please return your forms to Julie ASAP. WEECYCLE BRIGADE Recycle greeting cards is an interesting project that has been set up by Weecycle Brigade. The project is open to all schools and colleges, and includes an incentivebased recycling contest and benchmarking programme. Registration is open until Monday the 4th of June 2012 with the contest culminating around The Recycle Week. Participating schools and colleges are able to keep track the performance of all Weecycle Brigades by regular email updates and via this website. At the close of the competition, the Weecycle Brigade with the most greeting cards will win £3,000. The 2nd and 3rd prizes of £1,500 and £1,000 will be won by the runnerups respectively. All prizes will be used to fund environmentally friendly projects run by the Weecycle Brigades. To take part, schools and colleges must register a Weecycle Brigade. Teachers or parents need to register their interest using the form below. The website says that a Weecard.it representative will assist you in setting up your Weecycle Brigade. More details on http://www.weecard.it/weecyclebrigadecontest.html PHILIP ALLAN PSYCHOLOGY & SOCIOLOGY REVIEWS Psychology and Sociology reviews are also available. Please see Mrs Adsead for more information BOOKCLUB You are invited to join us for a Staff and Sixth Form Book Club on Thursday 13th October at 1.30 in E1. At this meeting we are discussing 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. Please bring your lunch with you and join us for what I am sure will be an interesting discussion about a fascinating book! See you then, Mrs Howells COMMON ROOM Please help our cleaners by putting all of your rubbish in the bins and putting the chairs on the tables at the end of each school day. Thank you
UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM UNIVERSITY TASTER CONFERENCES The University of Nottingham taster courses in December for year 12 students considering studying the following courses: Medicine, veterinary, business and management, physiotherapy, chemistry, forensics, criminal law, physics. These are 2/3 day courses giving students an insight into life at university studying these types of courses. We always get very positive feedback each year from students who go who feel they help them decide on their chosen degree subject. Please see the careers board in the lower area in the common room or me for more info. Julie Calder Do Something Amazing...GIVE BLOOD 96% of us rely on the other 4% to give blood. Please don’t leave it to someone else. HERTFORD THEATRE, THE WASH, HERTFORD. Tuesday 1st November 2011 IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS FOR OUR BULLETIN PLEASE CONTACT LYNN SALT.
SIXTH FORM IMPORTANT DATES Year 13 Assembly Tuesday 11th October Year 12 Assembly Thursday 13th October 6th Form Open Evening Thursday 17th November 6.00 – 9.00pm Autumn Concert Tuesday 22nd November
Published on Oct 9, 2011