Page 11

sports & activities

The Eye

February 5, 2010


Eagles boys go for gold, but finish Girls touch team overcomes tough day to defeat Jakarta for bronze by Natalie Muller With the scorching sun beating down on Jakarta International School’s turf field, the SAS boy’s rugby team and girl’s touch rugby team took to the field for first day of their respective IASAS tournaments. Both teams started Thursday strongly with the boys recording a close 15-12 win over the International School Bangkok (ISB) Panthers and a more dominant 30-5 one over the International School Manila (ISM) Bearcats. Likewise, the girls, last year’s champions and tournament favorites, proved to be up for retaining their crown after beating the International School of Kuala Lumpur (ISKL) Panthers 6-1 and the Taipei American School (TAS) Tigers 5-3, in a match which needed a stellar second-half performance. The second day of the tournament placed both teams against tougher competition and by and large decided which teams would make it to the final. The girls faced a tricky day against ISB and ISM, the team’s main rivals for the gold. Lacking a creative spark, the girls fell 0-2 and 1-3 to excellent teams. This placed the two in the touch rugby final, leaving SAS to play in the consolation game. Senior and cocaptain Erika Farias summarized the feelings of the team. “We were crushed. It was tough knowing we couldn’t get into the finals, especially with a lot of us being seniors and this being our last chance.” The boys on the other hand started the day strong with a hardfought 29-19 win over ISKL. Their real test came in the afternoon against a Jakarta International School (JIS)

Dragons side that had already crushed ISKL 67-0. A strong team performance combined with moments of individual brilliance from seniors Max Shaulis and Austin Cox left the score at a 1212 draw. This put both Jakarta and Singapore in the final, a repeat of last year’s championship. Senior Nico Daily said the team was happy with the result. “They were the team to beat. We didn’t really have to win. Our coach wanted us to tie, more than to win or lose. He didn’t want us to win and be cocky coming into the final. He also didn’t want us to lose because then our confidence would have been too low.” Saturday, the final day of the tournament, pitted the girls against JIS twice, once in the morning for a round robin match and the other in the afternoon for the consolation game. Halftime at the morning game saw SAS losing 2-1 against a JIS side playing in front of their home crowd. A resurgent second half, with brilliant breaks through the JIS defense by junior Becky Kreutter and senior Lauren Felice saw the game finish with a score of 3-2. Co-captain Farias saved particular praise for Kreutter. “Becky Kreutter played a lot better the few games leading up to IASAS. She stepped up for IASAS and got on the all-tournament team,” Farias said. The final again saw JIS take an early lead but junior Kristen Skill eventually leveled the score before co-captain Felice scored the winning try. The girl’s touch team left Jakarta with the bronze medal, receiving some inspiration from past SAS touch rugby players.

Girls rally to take

Senior co-captains Caroline Hui and Arshia Ahuja celebrate after coming back from 0-4 down in the second set agaisnt ISKL in the 2nd doubles match. Photo by Andisya Siregar

Going nowhere: Sophomore Andrew Milne makes a game saving tackle during the SAS vs. JIS championship game. JIS would go on to win 24 - 10. Photo by Slorinda Farias

Speed is skill: Sophomore Isabella Shaulis sprints through a gap in the defense during the ISKL vs. SAS match up.The Lady Eagles would go on to defeat the Panthers 6-1. Photo by Slorinda Farias

“Nora Hanagan emailed her dad [coach Bill Hanagan] a letter that Lauren read out loud to us. She knew that we were already out of the finals but told us to leave that in the past,” Farias said. The boys breezed through their Saturday morning match against TAS, perhaps with an eye turned toward that afternoon’s final. JIS scored the first try before Shaulis

went on a deadly run to score a try and level the score. Although JIS again took the lead, a great steal by sophomore Andrew Milne led to him outsprinting three JIS players and scoring SAS’s second try. With four minutes left to go in the second half, persistent pressure by Jakarta on the SAS line led to the Eagles giving up two more tries. “I think we just lost focus. After

Max missed the kick, we were all pretty down,” Daily said. As the whistle blew signaling the end of the match and the Jakarta fans ran out onto the field to celebrate, disheartened Eagles stood on the field with a sense of déjà vu—JIS had broke through their line to win it last year.

while boys place fourth by Natalie Muller In a close IASAS Tennis characterized by third sets, tiebreakers and deuce-filled games, the SAS boys team finished in fourth place and the girls brought home the bronze medal. “Competition was tight this year,” senior captain Caroline Hui said. “All the teams have improved from last year. We had to work hard for every match we won.” Both teams finished all square on the first day with 1-1 record. The boys beat the International School of Kuala Lumpur (ISKL) Panthers 5-0 but lost to the Taipei American School (TAS) Tigers 0-5, while the girls beat the International School Manila (ISM) Bearcats 4-1 but lost to TAS 1-4. The Thursday schedule disadvantaged the girl’s team as some players had little rest time in between their matches against ISM and TAS. “I had just finished playing a three-set match against ISM,” Hui said. “I went to report my score, sat

down and got a drink and then got called up to play my next match. I basically played five sets in a row.” Because the Jakarta school’s facilities had only had three tennis courts, the boys and girls’ teams took turns taking a bus to the nearby Anglo Chinese School (ACS) courts. “The bus ride was about half an hour long. It was annoying, but I only had to do it once,” senior

“We had to work hard for every match we won” -Senior captain, Caroline Hui Aaditya Chowdhry said. At the start of Saturday morning, the boys team knew that whether they finished in fourth or fifth place depended on that day’s matches. After particularly hard-fought matches by juniors Kartik Das and Devansh Pasumarty and seniors captain Sid Shanker, Aaditya Chowdhry and Shawn Teng, the Eagles beat ISM 3-2 to finish in fourth. All three matches won went to a third set. First doubles team Shanker and Chowdhry saved

a match point before clinching the third-set tiebreaker, 11-9, and securing the team a fourth place. “Last year we lost to ISM and so we lost the championship. Our specific match was the last match being played for the whole of IASAS and it turned out that it determined whether or not we finished in fourth or fifth place. It felt so good,” said Chowdhry. Although both teams placed lower than they did last year, when the girls finished in first and boys finished in second, both teams were young. The girls had four freshmen and only three returning IASAS players, while half the boys team was new. “Last year we had seniors who had been on the IASAS team all four years. This year we had four or five people who came to IASAS for the first time. The lack of experience cost us a lot of points,” Chowdhry said. Next year’s IASAS Tennis will be hosted at home at SAS.


SAS community raises almost 100,000 dollars (story, page 3) February 5, 2010 / Vol. 29 No. 4 Singapore American School FFFFFFFFFFeFFFFFFbrua...


SAS community raises almost 100,000 dollars (story, page 3) February 5, 2010 / Vol. 29 No. 4 Singapore American School FFFFFFFFFFeFFFFFFbrua...