Seminary Professor Emeritus Honored on Golden Anniversary Toronto, Canada. This large parish was established to meet the needs of recent Greek immigrants. In his six years as a pastor there, Fr. George performed the Holy Sacrament of Marriage for 2,212 couples and baptized 4,418 children. Fr. George also led a successful fundraising effort to purchase a local Protestant church building, which was transformed into an Orthodox temple.
he Very Reverend George Dimopoulos was ordained to the holy priesthood on August 31, 1957 at the Church of St. George, Constantinople by Metropolitan IAKOVOS of Iconium, in the presence of His Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch ATHENAGORAS. Father George had studied the previous six years (1951-1957) at the Theological Seminary in Halki, Sea of Marmara. This historic seminary was housed on the site of the ruined Monastery of the Holy Trinity. Numerous Orthodox scholars, theologians, priests, bishops, and patriarchs graduated from Halki, including His Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch BARTHOLOMEW I. Fr. Georgeâ€™s academic endeavors did not end there. From 1957 to the present, Fr. George has continued his theological study at such distinguished institutions as the University of Toronto, Holy Trinity Theological School
(New York), General Theological Seminary in New York, and the University of Scranton (Pennsylvania). Fr. George has faithfully labored for over fifty years as a parish priest. He began his work in September 1957, when he was appointed to Holy Trinity Church in Constantinople. This appointment lasted until the infamous day, Holy Thursday, May 12, 1958, when Turkish authorities deported the Greeks of the region. Fr. George then served as a priest at the Church of the Panagia in Halkeon at the request of Metropolitan PANTELEIMON. This appointment included the surrounding area of Thessaloniki during the summer months when many priests were on vacation. Four months later, in September of 1958, Fr. George was assigned as the first priest of the Church of the Annunciation in
In November 1964, Fr. George began his labors in the United States. He was given a shortterm appointment at St. Eleftherios Church in Manhattan, New York before being assigned to Annunciation of the Virgin Mary Church in Scranton, Pennsylvania. He spent the next 21 years in Scranton, where, along with faithfully serving his flock, he solicited and directed donations for the growth and expansion of the church. This entailed the purchase of land adjacent to the church in addition to the renovation of both the interior and the exterior of the temple. New icons were painted by one of the foremost iconographers, and the church became a place of peace and beauty where people from all over came to pray and receive the Holy Sacraments. In October 1986, Fr. George accepted the challenge as the priest of a large Philadelphia area community parish. During his 12year tenure at St. Demetrios Church in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, Fr. George helped to organize, supervise, and execute the building of a new iconostasis, a new marble floor for the soleas, and the full repayment
The Tikhonaire from 2008