Page 1

ST NEOTS TOWN Histon FC ISSUE 15: THE OFFICIAL MATCHDAY MAGAZINE £2.00 The Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division

Function Room Hire available from January 2016

Due to  our  Scholars  moving  into  their  new  classroom  at  Rowley  Park    both  Function  rooms  (including   the  large  Gregory  Suite)    at  St  Neots  Town  FC  are  now  available  to  hire  during  the  day  time  from   January  2016.           We  have  already  catered  for  Toddler  groups,    Zumba  classes,    Weight  watchers  meetings  etc    and  can   now  extend  this  to  day  time  hire.  We  have  ample  parking  and  easy  access.       Please    contact  Lou  on  01480  470012  or  email      

Coming Soon  

WELCOME In the middle of a testing schedule Good evening everyone and welcome back to the Premier Plus Stadium, home of St. Neots Town Football Club and the Mick George Academy, for tonight’s Evostik League Southern Premier Division match. Tonight we extend a very warm welcome to the players, officials and of course, the travelling supporters of near neighbours Histon FC and we hope you all have an enjoyable stop here in St Neots before making the relatively short trip along the A428/ A14 later tonight At the time of writing these notes we are in the middle of a testing schedule on our travels, having been comprehensively beaten at top of the table Poole Town, followed up with a win at Cambridge City and then gaining a valuable point at third placed Redditch United

last week, we are due to travel to Leamington FC tomorrow evening, who currently sit in second place and this is followed by the annual tricky visit to Beaconsfield as we take on Slough Town on Saturday 5th December. Quite a difficult schedule I’m sure you will agree and hopefully the talk this evening will be of a decent points haul gained from our remaining travels before tonight’s game, which is the first of

three games here at home (Histon, Kettering (12/12) and Weymouth (19/12) before a short Boxing Day trip down the A1 to Biggleswade Town and then Kings Lynn Town come here on January 2nd. Talking about Biggleswade, It’s great to have the Big Bear back amongst our numbers with centre half Ryan Frater transferring back to us after moving to the Waders pre season, so please give Ryan the welcome he deserves tonight.Sadly, I won’t be in attendance this evening as this rearranged game didn’t fall favourably within my work shift pattern and I have no more holidays left to take so apologies for the lack of any PA announcements this evening and I hope this doesn’t detract from the entertainment too much.

It was brilliant to see so many turn out in support of the lads at Cambridge City almost a fortnight ago at a time when moral was a little low and ridiculous rumours had been circulated on social media, our support that evening shows just how much this great club means to so many people. The banter between the two sets of fans was awesome all evening and we of course were rewarded with a brilliant 4-1 victory giving us the bragging rights over our local rivals and this leads me nicely onto tonight’s game, as our visitors will be wanting to ‘put one over us’ so we will need to be at our very best on and off the pitch tonight so please, get behind the lads from the first whistle and your input into proceedings will play a big part on the final result and hopefully, more bragging rights in the bag. Until Saturday (when I shall be here). COME ON YOU SAINTS………. Mick Green


HISTON FC Year founded: 1904 Nickname: The Stutes

Chairman: Russell Hands


In their second season back at level three Histon are struggling to regain a berth at the higher level. A very special welcome for our next engagement in the Evostik Southern League Premier Division with a visit from near neighbours Histon. Histon have recently undergone a major change of direction with a Managerial change as Steve Fallon returned at the helm where he had so much success at the higher level in his earlier spell as the boss. However Histon are still struggling to re-establish themselves at level three as they try to regain a berth at the higher level. Currently 20th in the league table just one place above the relegation zone they (like us) were recent victims of the league leaders Poole Town who knocked ten goals past our two clubs in a four days spell without reply. Last season Histon who at the time were hosting Cambridge City in a ground share finished 18th in the final table well clear of the relegation area but they are finding life very challenging at this level as they follow a deliberate youth development policy. In the FA Cup this year Histon lost at home to Aveley whilst in the FA Trophy they drew at home with Stratford Town before losing in the replay. However it is the Red Insure Cup where they have been producing their real cup form. Having inflicted on Rushden and Diamonds a rare home defeat in the first round they went on to win a penalty shoot-out away at Kings Lynn in the second round and they have now earned a third consecutive away tie in the competition – this time a short trip up the guided busway to play former tenants Cambridge City at St Ives next Wednesday. Our only league meeting here at the Premier Plus Stadium last season ended in a 4-0 victory for our lads with Drew Roberts (2), Ryan Frater and Jay Davies on the score sheet.

Club History The start of the 21st century for Histon was slow, and in the first three seasons Histon managed 4th spot twice and a

disappointing 10th which momentarily halted the fast rise they had experienced with Steve Fallon up the non-league pyramid. The 2003–04 season saw Histon finish 2nd in the Southern League’s Eastern Division to claim promotion to the Premier Division, and they followed this up by winning the Premier Division championship at the first attempt, and with it promotion to Conference South, the highest level at which the club had ever played. In the same season, Histon took on League Two side Shrewsbury Town in the F.A. Cup 1st Round Proper, setting up a 2nd Round tie at home to Yeovil Town with a 2–0 victory. They lost to Yeovil in the 2nd Round, but they clinched the Southern League Premier Division title on the last day of the season.

In their first season at Premier Division level Histon finished in 5th place, enough to secure a place in the play-offs for promotion to the Conference National. They won their first game away at Farnborough Town 3–0, but lost 2–0 in the play-off final at Broadhall Way against St. Albans City. In the FA Cup they managed to reach the second round proper after beating Hednesford Town in the first round. The team managed a draw away at Nuneaton Borough but were defeated in the replay at Bridge Road 2–1. They would have played Premier League club Middlesbrough if they had won. The second round replay saw 3,077 people at Bridge Road, the highest attendance of the whole season. The season was also notable for a 5–0 win against local rivals Cambridge United in the FA Trophy. On 14

April 2007, the Stutes beat Welling United 1–0 at Bridge Road to secure promotion to the Conference National for the first time in their history, Adrian Cambridge scoring the winner in the 89th minute. Two days previously, officials from the Conference had passed Bridge Road as fit for Conference football, paving the way for promotion—the club’s fourth in 7 years—to the highest point in the football league pyramid reached in the club’s history. In the same season striker Neil Kennedy got his 300th goal for the club with a hat-trick against Havant & Waterlooville. In Histon’s first season in the Conference National the Stutes played their first televised game, Setanta broadcasting their 1–0 home win against Oxford United. Later in the season the club broke their record home attendance when a crowd of 3,721 saw Histon beat local rivals Cambridge United 1–0 on 1 January 2008. Histon finished the season in 7th, two places and nine points away from the play-offs, and bade farewell to the club’s record goalscorer, Neil Kennedy. He played his last competitive game against Forest Green Rovers on the last day of the season in a substitute appearance. Histon’s second season of Conference started well, and the Stutes were top of the division during November. They finished third in the league season, qualifying for the play-offs, where they were defeated 2–1 on aggregate by Torquay United in the semi-final. In the FA Cup, Histon reached the third round for the first time after beating Football League opposition in Swindon Town 1–0 at home in the first round, and Leeds United 1–0 at home in the second round, the first time Leeds had lost to a non-league side.http:// - cite_note-12 They lost 2–1 to Swansea City at home in the third round. In 2010/11 they finished the season bottom of the Conference and were relegated, being allocated a place in the Conference North for 2011–12. Histon finished their first Conference North season in 16th place.

WHO’S WHO RYAN AUGER (MIDFIELDER): Born in Cambridge, the 21 year old joined Southend United aged 11 and progressed through their Academy and on into their Scholarship Programme before earning a two year pro deal with the Shrimpers. He was released in August 2014 and signed for Bishop’s Stortford where he made 14 starts last season, scoring on 3 occasions. He made the switch to Histon in early February 2015 and made an instant impact at the heart of midfield, making 15 appearances and scoring twice before signing a new contract at Histon in July. BRENDAN BROWN (GOALKEEPER): 18 year old keeper Brown was with our own Academy here at Histon until the age of 16 when he turned down a Scholarship place at Bridge Road to instead take up a place on Northampton Town’s scholarship programme. Released by the Cobblers this summer, Brown returns to provide competition for the Number 1 shirt and, based upon his impressive performances in pre-season, will push Denzel Gerrar hard for a place in the side. NICK FREEMAN (MIDFIELDER): Another Histon Scholarship graduate who has over 80 First Team appearances to his name despite still being only just 19 years of age. A key player for the youth teams when a Scholar, he made the step up to First Team level during the 2012-13 season and has featured regularly ever since. Able to operate wide on either flank or centrally when required, his ability to run at defenders combined with a fearsome shot on either foot make him a threat to any opposition. He top scored for the First Team last season with 17 goals in all competitions and signed a new contract at Bridge Road in July. CURTIS FULCHER (MIDFIELDER): A graduate of the Histon FC Scholarship Programme, Fulcher consistently impressed as he moved up through the age groups and earned a senior debut from the bench during 2012-13. He spent much of the 2013-14 season on loan at Huntingdon Town gaining valuable experience, and his performances for the Histon Under 21’s last season were recognised with more regular game time at First Team level. A central midfielder with a wide range of passing who made over 30 senior appearances last season. DENZEL GERRAR (GOALKEEPER): Denzel initially joined the Stutes on loan from Millwall in October 2014 and went on to make 18 appearances for the club. He made a lasting impression during his time at Bridge Road with a string of impressive displays between the sticks before returning to The New Den in early January. He was an unused sub for Millwall in the Championship on a number of occasions but was released by the Lions in the summer and Page was quick to secure the signature of the hugely talented young keeper. EVAN KEY (MIDFIELDER/DEFENDER): Key was with Bury Town as a youngster

but joined the Biggleswade Town in 2012, quickly becoming a regular starter in the Waders First Team. He moved to Bridge Road in September 2014 and his versatility initially saw him appearing in midfield and defence before settling into a centre half role, a position he has since made his own with a string of dominant performances. SAM IVES (MIDFIELDER): Cambridge born midfielder who was with Cambridge City as a youngster before switching to Cambridge United where he completed his Scholarship before being offered a two year pro deal. He was released at the end of that deal and moved to Corby Town where he enjoyed three seasons before joining Brackley Town at the start of 2014-15. He moved to Biggleswade Town in October 2014 before joining the Stutes in February 2015 where his impressive performances have made him a key member of Brian Page’s side. ROGAN MCGEORGE (MIDFIELDER): Rogan started his career with Cambridge United before spells at Soham Town Rangers, Wisbech Town and more recently, Hitchin Town. He was close to signing a professional deal with Cypriot side Akritas Chlorokas early in 2014 but it fell through at the last minute and he was signed by Stutes Manager Brian Page in August 2014 to bring some steel to the centre of midfield. A tough tackler and impressive ball player, Rogan has made himself a key part of the Stutes midfield with over 30 appearances last season. TOM MCGOWAN (MIDFIELDER): 23 year old box to box midfielder signed in June from Stamford. Originally with Northampton Town as a Scholar Tom joined Corby Town in 2011 and enjoyed a three year spell with the Steel Men before leaving for Brackley Town in the summer of 2014. That stay proved short lived however as he moved to Stamford in September of that year and went on to complete the season with The Daniels, scoring twice in their dramatic 3-2 win over Witton Albion on the final day of last season to secure the clubs’ Step 3 status. Brian Page has been a long time admirer of McGowan and finally got his man in the summer. MATTHEW MEACHER (MIDFIELDER): Meacher can play either side of midfield or centrally and is a player Stutes supporters may remember form his time as a Scholar here before he left after completing his Scholarship in 2012. Returning to join up with the squad for pre-season the 20 year old has made an impact in every game and will add competition for a starting place and midfield options for the Gaffer. JORDAN NICHOLSON (MIDFIELDER): 21 year old attacking midfielder who joined the Stutes from Eynesbury in June following a prolific season for Rovers in which he found the net 26 times. He was with Cambridge City until 2014 before leaving for the Memorial Ground, but a promising start to the season was marred by a serious ankle injury that kept him out of the Rovers line up for three months.

Returning in January he was straight back into the groove and picked up where he left off both scoring and creating goals for his team. Manager Page had been monitoring him for a while and swooped in the summer to add the talented attacker to his squad. JOSHUA OYINSAN (STRIKER): Brian Page signed the tall, powerful Oyinsan in August just ahead of the game away at Bideford. The big striker brings attacking options to the squad and Page had been impressed with Josh during training before offering him a deal. Previously at clubs including Barnet, Bromley and AFC Wimbledon in his younger days, Josh spent most of last season at Potters Bar Town where he scored 10 times in 18 appearances. Made his Stutes debut away at Bideford in August. SALIM RELIZANI (FORWARD): Pacey, tricky and direct, the 20 year olds’ performances and goals for the Youth Teams earned him a chance in the senior side in 2013-14. After graduating from our Scholarship Programme in the summer of 2014 the Manager was keen to get a deal in place to keep him at Bridge Road and was pleased to secure his signature along with a number of others. He gained widespread acclaim for stepping forward to come on as a sub against Telford United in March – to replace the injured Charlie Grainger in goal – and producing a fine performance between the sticks, but his attacking threat and goals are what he will bring to the side. He had a loan spell at at St Ives Town during 2014-15 and on his return to Histon scored his first Stutes goal with a dramatic injury time equaliser against Hitchin Town, soon following that up with a stunning long range strike against Banbury United. GEORGE ROOT (MIDFIELDER): Another graduate of the Histon Scholarship Programme, George can play centrally or out wide as needed. Comfortable with the ball at his feet, the talented youngster can run at opponents and his range of passing makes him a constant threat. After graduating the Scholarship in 2014 he was set for a big season last year but an injury in pre-season set the tone for a difficult few months as he struggled to get back to 100%. This year could be the year though as he’s fit and ready to go. DANIEL RUMENS (DEFENDER): A versatile defender who signed on a Work Experience deal from Dagenham & Redbridge on deadline day in March 2014 and was impressive during his time at the club. A regular in the Daggers Under 18 side, he had spells at Thurrock, VCD Athletic and Harlow Town but was released last summer. Manager Page was quick to react and signed the 19 year old to a deal at Bridge Road and was rewarded with consistently strong performances throughout last season whether as one of a back three or, on occasions, at left back.



Needham Market 4 - 3 St Neots Town The goal that proved to be the winner of the seven scored in a pulsating match in difficult conditions was a screamer from a free kick that came direct from the training pitch. It left St Neots deflated as they travelled back up the A14 with their FA Vase dream shattered for another year but they were entitled to hold their heads high after a sterling performance against the side that last season were within one match of the Final of the Vase at Wembley Stadium. Manager Marvin Johnson was philosophical acknowledging that his inexperienced side had performed well against more seasoned opposition but he said ‘you can’t expect to win if you concede four goals.’ The match was within an ace of not being played with the pitch heavily sanded and almost waterlogged down one side but to the credit of both sides they persevered with a brand of skilful football that delighted the spectators – especially St Neots travelling ‘barmy army’ of noisy supporters. In the early exchanges the side swapped attempts on the others’ goal with Declan Rogers cutting in to shoot wide and Ben Dyett heading over from a free kick whilst Rhys Barber failed to direct his free header low enough to beat Chris Adams. Then after eleven minutes St Neots took the lead as Rogers crossed from the left and Pete Okechukwu’s clever flick set up Luigi Rocco for his first goal since the middle of October. However a lack of defensive concentration saw the lead

last for less than ninety seconds as Needham levelled almost from the restart. James Evans rounded Jon Hall far too easily and slack marking allowed Craig Parker to volley past the despairing dive of Chris Adams. St Neots responded with Okechukwu heading over the bar and James Hall showing pace to lose his marker but shooting across the face of goal. Two more goals in as many minutes just before the break kept the pot on the boil. Needham were first to strike when Rocco was dispossessed in the centre circle and the ball was swept wide to James Evans hugging the bar touchline. Once again he deceived his marker and his high cross-cum-shot sailed over Adams at the near post to dip under the bar for rather fortunate finish. St Neots response was swift and effective as Rogers combined with Okechukwu who swept the ball wide to James Hall and his curling left foot shot beat Liam Jones who was a couple of yards off his line. There was still time for Luke Knight to send a free kick the wrong side of a post before the sides trudged off for a welldeserved break. St Neots looked the better side upon the restart. Rocco left two defenders in his wake to bring a good save from Jones and the keeper also saved well from Okechukwu but as the pitch deteriorated it became more difficult especially for defenders. Dogbe twice saved St Neots with well-timed tackled but it was against the run of play when the home side regained the lead after 64 minutes. The attack came down the left prompted

by Needham’s best player Danny Thrower and the ball was deflected to James Evans who claimed his second goal of the match. St Neots responded by sending on substitutes Jamie Steele and Arin Fehmi returned to the club after his spell with Stotfold for Okechukwu and Rogers but two minutes later came what proved to be the clinching goal. Needham won a free kick forty yards from goal and Thrower cleverly ran over the ball but continued running into space where Evans’ free kick was knocked down for him to volley fiercely into the roof of the net. St Neots understandably looked deflated by this major setback but once again they responded and Steele had a shot touched over the bar by the home keeper. Needham cleverly slowed the game down and was happy to play keep-ball and after Adams had made a good save from Danny Smy who was clear on goal St Neots got a late consolation goal when Ben Dyett converted from a Luke Knight corner. However by now the match was in added time and there was no chance of a late equaliser and extra time.

St Neots: Adams, McElroy (D), Jon Hall, Bannister, Dogbe, Dyett, Rocco, Knight, Okechukwu, James Hall, Rogers. Subs: Steele (for Okechukwu 65 mins), Fehmi (for Rogers 65 mins) Kenneford & Thomas. Man of the Match: Steve Dogbe

CAMBRIDGE CITY 1 ST NEOTS TOWN 4 Southern League Premier Division / 26.11.2015 / Attendance: 237 / Referee: Alexander Guy (Wymondham)

St Neots arrested a sequence of four matches without a victory – the worst run under the tenure of Manager David Batch – with a confident and well deserved victory over neighbours Cambridge City at their shared home with St Ives Town. The victory was revenge for a Red Insure Cup penalty shootout defeat by City just two weeks earlier and buried a bit of a bogey for this was only St Neots’ second victory over Gary Roberts’ side in eight meetings since joining the Southern League. The match was also significant for featuring Drew Roberts’ first goal since 25th April as he eases himself gradually back to match fitness and it was St Neots first away league victory since they won at Paulton on 10th October. Undefeated at home in the league since September, City started as favourites but after a good start they faltered after the break and were incommoded by the reduction to ten men when John Kyriacou was dismissed for a rash tackle after 65 minutes. St Neots now face a further three away league matches before hosting Histon on December 8th. There could hardly have been a worse start for the visitors’ for in City’s first attack in the third minutes Brett Langdon was judged to have tripped Ieuan Lewis and Josh Dawkin confidently stroked home the resultant penalty kick. The home side looking slick and confident next mounted a flowing

move from which Joel Norris wastefully shot across the face of goal and then Danny Kelly failed to score from close range after good work by Norris. St Neots settled after repelling these early attacks and were level after 20 minutes when Tom Meechan was brought down twenty yards from goal by Lee Chaffey and Ryan Hawkins delightful chip over the defensive wall left Zac Barrett helpless. Ten minutes later Norris did get the ball in the net from a Buster Harradine cross but was ruled offside and St Neots varied their approach by pushing the lively Hawkins up front with Drew Roberts moving back in midfield. Just when a first half stalemate looked on the cards St Neots snatched the lead sixty seconds into added time when Roberts produced a well-placed bullet header to a Jamie Anton cross. City needed a quick response after the break but fortune went the other way when Barrett brought Meechan down as he bore down on goal and Meechan climbed to his feet to confidently despatch the penalty kick to extend St Neots lead.

into the visiting side. With Matt Mitchel-King moved back into defence they looked sure at the back and menacing in attack as first Isaac Galliford and then Ryan Hawkins shot just wide of the target. City introduced substitutes to freshen their approach with little noticeable success and St Neots went close to further extending their lead when Shane Blackett headed narrowly wide from a Galliford corner. Then after 65 minutes Hawkins’ pace took him past Kyriacou on the edge of the penalty area and the defender was issued with a straight red card and from the resultant free kick Barrett produced the save of the match to deny Roberts a second goal. City seemed totally unable to regain any momentum after this and St Neots were able to coast to victory adding a fourth goal deep into added time when Isaac Galliford’s shot took enough of a deflection to beat Barrett to see St Neots retain their record as the second highest goal scorers in the Division. John Walker

This third goal seemed to breathe confidence lacking for so long

St Neots Town

Cambridge City

Wilton, Jones, Longden, Mitchel-King, Anton, Blackett, Hawkins Clarke, Meechan, Roberts, Galliford Subs: Ofosu (for Roberts 83), Mailancol, Vieira, Hobbs and Gordon. Cards: Jones (Y – 73), Longden (Y – 78) Goals: Hawkins (20 mins), Roberts (45+1 mins), Meechan – pen (47 mins), Galliford (90+4 mins

Barrett, Kyriacou, Day, Murray, Chaffey, Harradine, Lewis, Kaye, Norris, Kelly, Dawkin Subs: Reynolds (for Harradine 49), Gleeson (for Norris 59), Malcolm (for Kaye 74), Serrano and Midgley. Cards: Kyriacou (RED – 65), Dawkin (Y – 90+3) Goals: Dawkin (3 mins)

Hello to all from Histon for tonight’s match I hope you all have a pleasant evening but of course go home empty handed. Well what a few weeks this has been for us, we have now completed four away games in succession and writing these notes before the Slough match I must say that we are all very pleased with recent performances. The away match at Poole Town was nothing short of a disaster where we were what I can only say as useless, beat by a far superior side on the day. But sometimes it takes something like that to add that extra spark into your performance and the next three games we certainly did that. A great win against one of our bogy teams Cambridge City on a not so very good pitch where after the first fifteen minutes or so we mastered the conditions and the game. Then onto our nemesis third placed Redditch where again we were by far the better team but had to settle for a draw in again awful

conditions. On the road again to second place Leamington of whom we beat at the start of the season in a very feisty match, so we knew we were in for a bit of a battle. And so it was and another great point against a very good side. As most have read the match report we again mastered the match and played most of the second half with just ten men, I wont go into the farcical way in which Ryan sent off but I really think we would have went on to win that game if we had a full eleven on the pitch that night. Not knowing the Slough result before I wrote these notes but what ever happened in that match we have had a good run of results on the road. We have now played the top two teams in the division twice and the next four teams away, also a dangerous Dunstable Town twice. So all to play for in the second half of the season. I said in my earlier notes that one of the things that we were missing was one of grit and a determination not to get beat and I think we have overcome that with recent results. My job now is to keep that going for the rest of the season as we did last season and who knows what

can happen. Lastly a mention for two players a welcome back to Ryan Frater who certainly has that determination and also Rob Jones (pictured) who came in to the team in

our hour of need against Cambridge City and has battled away in midfield ever since. Well done to you both and indeed all the players. Also not forgetting young Remy Gordon who just might get some playing time tonight after his long term injury, those who saw Remy at the start of the season would have witnessed a very good footballer who will be like a brilliant new signing for us for the second half of the season. A run of three home matches now and lets see if we can improve our home form. Batchy





2 2 5

6 1

1 2 15 1 19 13 1 2 1 9 14 9 13

1 5

1 3 1 4 1 1 3 6 1

7 1


1 3 1 6 4 3

8 6



1 17 2

2 5 9 5 1



2 3 8 3 8 5 3



1 1 1

1 1

1 1



1 1

1 4

3 2 3 1

23 1 9 3 0 1 14 0 0 1 12 4 1 0 20 2 9 0 3 0 22 0 24 1 0 2 5 6 0 0 2 0 17 2 6 4 28 0 18 1 2 8 0 1 4 1 4 0 17 4 3 10 22 1 14 0 16 0

1 1 0 0 8 1 0 3 0 2 0 0 7 2 1 0 1 9 0 0 2 4 1 9 4 5 0 3 1

1 1 0 1 0 4 0 3 0 2 4 9 1 1 0 0 0 1 20 3 1 0 1 0 1 2 3 0 0

1 2 1

2 4 1

3 1 1

1 2 2

Details correct up to and including Saturday 28th November







1 1



9 1 14 8 3 14 18


2 1



5 1


7 3


1 1


1 1



1 1



16 6



Anton Jamie Beech Josh Berkes George Blackett Shane Burton Ben Clarke Lee Frater Ryan Galliford Isaac (L) Gay Danny Gordon Remy Hall Connor Hawkins Ryan Hobbs Dan Horne Ryan (L) Jeckells Evan Jones Ben Longden Brett Mailancol Guy Meechan Tom Mitchel-King Matt Ofosu Claudio Ossei-Addo Kelvin Roberts Drew Sutton Ollie Tann Adam Vieira Luis Ward Tom Wilton Andy Wilkinson Jack





St Neots Town First Team Player Stats 2015/16


3 1


1 1 4 2 4

1 4 1 4 1 2

1 1


Good evening to our opponents tonight and to the Officials, Players and supporters of our near neighbours Histon, I hope you all have a very safe journey home. Going away on holiday just a few weeks ago thinking well all is covered and I won’t have much to do but relax on the beach and have a good time.

It seems that every time I go away we have to deal with some major issues and this time was no different in that we released some players and were looking to sign some new ones. On the phone I am to David discussing this and that and you know how it is because when you are so far away from home you seem to speak loudly down the phone. Well here I am on the phone to David and saying yes I agree he can be released and yes I agree we want a transfer fee for him and how is this going with new players and general football discussion without knowing that my conversation was in ear shot of many other beach lovers. Can you believe the embarrassment when I came off the phone to be told off by my wife that I was too loud and then having people coming up to me asking for my autograph not even knowing who I was? I had to rush for the sea, they must have thought I was someone else and put two and two together. I said to Nicki maybe they thought I was

Jose Mourinho and she said I think you have had too much sun more like Del Boy she said. But still I had five minutes of stardom and signed a few autographs to the total embarrassment of my wife. Fame lasts a short time they say mine lasted 10 seconds. Anyway business was done and I wish those players who have moved on every success in the future. To Ryan Frater welcome back, you are a supporter’s firm favorite and a very good player, and I don’t blame anyone for looking at the grass on the other side but can assure you that it is always greener on our side in more ways than one.

Now today is quite historic with another first for the club in that I believe that we are the very first club to give away the match day programme absolutely free of charge, I seriously do not know or have heard of any club that does that. The reasons we have come to that decision is that we appreciate that the cost of a days football is getting ever more expensive. However we still want you to

spend as much as you can to help boost the clubs finances so maybe spend the saving of the cost of a programme on a pint of beer or some food from the food court. Having a website as good as ours and it being bespoke in many applications allows us to be able to download any e brochure we have with great quality, and we believe that our match day programme is not

only superb quality but a great read, Some cannot afford to purchase one and I understand that and they are certainly missing out and Lees, David’s and my views and other interesting articles that are current and dealing with what everyone maybe talking about. We also have great pictures taken by Claire Howes that need to be given a boarder audience. Having so many visitors to our web site each and every day also gives us the opportunity to allow those who just like football to have a good read. We have people like Steve Ridley who attended every match and always purchased a programme having now moved abroad and others like maybe Dan Jacob and Shane Tolley both in Dubai have the opportunity to keep up with things while away as I’m sure their hearts are with us every single match.

So many pluses for us to take this new route and a few minus of course in that we loose revenue but hopefully it might just swing the other way and is just another string to our bow when trying to increase gates and revenue. Enjoy the publication and for those who regally purchase one I thank you for your support, for those who didn’t for what ever reason here is what you were missing. Think forward, of course we do as we are always striving for perfection on and off the pitch. On to tonight’s match and lets get behind the team as we are coming up to that decisive period in the season, lets get into the top ten in the league and anything can happen yes it can because we have been there and done that and very nearly won our way to promotion. Can we do that again of course we can and I have no doubt that we will. Mike

Players who made it late

Javi Varas arrived at Sevilla FC aged 23, after having only played amateur football in Andalusia.

Although he was spotted by his mentor at Sevilla, Pablo Blanco, when he was 11, Varas didn’t make his competitive debut for the first team until close to his 27th birthday. (Coincidentally, his second La Liga match was at Camp Nou in 2009, and he had to pick the ball out of the net four times.

In fact, when Varas was 25, he needed to work part-time as an administrator in a steel company because Sevilla loaned him out to a small semi-professional team which only paid its players around 360 euros per month. Varas seriously considered quitting football altogether, swallowing his pride and accepting a full-time post as an administrator in that steel company. He has appeared 137 times in La Liga, how many more games would he have played if he were given the chance at a younger age.


As we edge ever closer to the busy Christmas footballing calendar, the headlines just keep on coming for former Non-League starlet Jamie Vardy. The ex-Stocksbridge Park Steels, FC Halifax and Fleetwood striker Vardy has made a remarkable impact on the Premier League having equalled former Manchester United forward Ruud van Nistelrooy’s record of goals in ten consecutive games. His tenth of the season signified that he was not just a one season wonder having played Non-League football just four

years ago. Talent is often buried in the most unlikely of places. But in recent weeks Non-League football has been dealt a tough card – perhaps taking away from the influence Vardy has had on the search for emerging talent. Unsurprisingly, Football League clubs have voted in favour of increased parachute payments for clubs relegated from League Two in to the Conference. The cash that clubs receive is set to ascend at

an alarming rate. An unbelievable £750,000 will be on offer, meaning that relegation will result in around £474,000 being handed out followed by a “mere” £237,000 during a club’s second year in the National League. Not only does this sort of money draw parallels with clubs relegated from the Premier League (a sore subject for many football fans) but it allows clubs to readily spend in the notoriously “toughest” league to get out of. Cheltenham Town are sitting pretty at the top of the National League and, having been an established Football League club for sixteen seasons, have the credentials to get back in to League Two. But just ask Luton Town fans and they will tell you that nothing is certain. Surely that is all part of the fun? Maybe ‘fun’ is not the right word for fans but the point of a promotion battle is to be competitive, prove you

are better and have the best side win the league. Forest Green are certainly on Gary Johnson’s heels to book their first-ever place in the Football League and there will no doubt be more twists and turns as the season progresses. However, it begs the question of how long that will last with increased payments easing the blow of one of the biggest fears in football – relegation. Will we really have to rely on the FA Cup to provide us with excitement – although based on recent years that shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Rising star stories including that of Stevenage Borough, Crawley Town, Yeovil Town and Dagenham and Redbridge – clubs who have progressed up the ladder – are at risk of becoming a distant memory. These clubs now all currently face the prospect of the drop from League Two and surely giving them a head start defeats the object of their past achievements? We should be nurturing talent like Vardy and enjoying the competitive football in all leagues, not letting money cause conflict and resentment. So whichever match you may be watching, look out for the next big name as talent can overrule money. Sheridan Robins Follow us on twitter: @NonLeguePaper



A brief round up of the recent results from the teams that matter FA Trophy Third Round Qualifying Ties 28 November 2015 Cirencester Town scored twice in the opening twenty-seven minutes and, although conceding a goal before the break, ran out 2-1 winners over visiting National League South outfit, Gosport Borough. Leamington, who went behind after fourteen minutes, built up a two goal lead with twenty minutes remaining before eventually securing a 4-2 home victory against National League North Hednesford Town. Hungerford Town scored after twelve minutes and added two late goals to win 3-0 at home against Thamesmead Town of the Isthmian League Division One North. Frome Town, having gone behind in the first half, scored twenty minutes from the end to draw 1-1 and ensure a replay at Chesham United while Merthyr Town, having taken the lead a minute after the break, face a replay at East Thurrock United after the Isthmian Premier Division club secured a 1-1 draw with a goal just before the midway point of the second half. Weymouth conceded a first half goal to go out 1-0 at National League South Hemel Hempstead Town and Bideford also went out to the same level of opposition when, after being a goal down just before the break, they lost 4-0 at Maidenhead United. Division One South & West Marlow took a third minute lead but, after sharing four first half goals and taking the lead five minutes into the second half, slipped to a 6-3 defeat at National League North Oxford City.

Premier Division 28 November 2015 Leaders Poole Town came unstuck when hosts Kettering Town scored nineteen minutes into the second half to win 1-0. Third in the table Redditch United, having taken the lead seven minutes into the second

half, had to settle for a 1-1 home draw when St Neots Town scored ten minutes from time. Chippenham Town scored twice in each half to move into fourth place with a 4-1 home victory over Dunstable Town. Dorchester Town struck after eight minutes to register a 1-0 victory at Histon while Biggleswade Town, ahead from a penalty after five minutes, scored three times in the second half to secure a 4-1 home win over bottom of the table Bedworth United. Stratford Town, three ahead just after the half hour mark, recorded a 4-0 home success against second from bottom Paulton Rovers.

Division One Central 28 November 2015 Leaders St Ives Town took a sixteenth minute lead and secured a 2-0 home win with a goal a minute from time against Kings Langley, who dropped three places to seventh, while AFC Rushden & Diamonds stayed a point behind when a goal just three minutes from the end gave them a 1-0 victory at Petersfield Town and Egham Town struck on the hour to secure a 1-0 home success against Aylesbury and move into fifth place. Ware scored twice in the first seven minutes and added a third from the spot five minutes before the break to set up a comprehensive 6-1 home win over Fleet Town which took them into fourth place but Royston Town, behind on the stroke of half time, scored just before the midway point of the second half to secure a 1-1 draw with Uxbridge and Beaconsfield SYCOB, ahead thirteen minutes after the break, were also held 1-1 at home when Barton Rovers equalised ten minutes from time while Northwood recorded a 1-0 win at Arlesey Town with a goal five minutes after the interval. Aylesbury United scored two minutes before the interval to secure a 1-0

home win over Potters Bar Town while Godalming Town, behind after fourteen minutes, scored twice in four minutes during the last quarter of an hour but had to settle for a 2-2 home draw when second from bottom Leighton Town equalised two minutes from time.

Division One South & West 28 November 2015 In the top against bottom clash, leaders Cinderford Town scored five times in the opening eighteen minutes and added two more before the break to set up an enormous 10-1 away win at Bashley while Winchester City, ahead after just two minutes, opened up a four goal lead by midway through the second half and moved into second place with a 4-2 victory at second from bottom Bridgwater Town and Tiverton Town went to third in the table when two goals in the first thirty two minutes set up a 2-1 home success over North Leigh, who slipped two places to fourth place after a rune of four games without a win. Although Banbury United, having gone behind just after the half hour, equalised five minutes before the interval and took the lead nineteen minutes into the second half, they had to settle for a 2-2 draw when hosts Swindon Supermarine scored ten minutes before time but Shortwood United scored twice in each half to record a 4-1 win at Wimborne Town and Taunton Town scored either side of half time to inflict a 2-0 home defeat on AFC Totton. Didcot Town scored twice in the opening eleven minutes and added a third before the break to set up a 5-1 home win over Larkhall Athletic but Slimbridge, having gone behind in the first minute and conceded a second five minutes after the interval, lost 2-1 at home to Wantage Town.

Manager: David Batch Assistant Manager: Steve Eastaugh First Team Coach: John Beck Goalkeeping Coach: Darren Plowman

Manager: Stuart Storer Assistant Manager: Andrew Penny


Line Up From:

Andrew Wilton

01: Brendan Brown

Ollie Sutton

02: Luke Trotman 03: Miles Smith


04: Evan Key

Brett Longden

05: Jack Uttridge

Adam Tann (Captain)

06: Rogan McGeorge

Tom Ward

07: Nick Freeman

Jamie Anton

08: Ryan Auger

Shane Blackett

09: Josh Oyinsan

Ryan Frater

10: Sam Ives 11: Joe Carden 12: Lewis Clayton

Midfielders Ryan Hawkins

14: Harry Norman

Lee Clarke

15: Dovydas Kairys

Mat Mitchel-King

16: Danny Rumens

Guy Mailamcol

17: Matty Allan

Remy Gordon

18: Curtis Fulcher

Issac Galliford Forwards Drew Roberts Tom Meechan Luis Viera Claudio Ofosu

Colours Dark Blue Shirts, Shorts & Socks

Colours Black and Red Shirts, Black Shorts & Socks

The match line up will be displayed on the electronic scoreboard Referee: Lee Marshallsay Assistant 1: Lee Grimsey Assistant 2: Doug Steele

Next Home Game: Kettering Town Evostik League Southern Premier Division Saturday 12th November / KO 15:00

As a Club we support Grass Roots Football and stand firm against racism within football, visit for more information on playing your part.

MD’S NOTES The school run and the classroom Programme notes are a strange old thing. It’s quite difficult not to keep repeating yourself or covering the same subjects and so I’ve decided that for these programme notes I’m going to talk about something that shouldn’t irritate but somehow, for whatever reason, does Trying to park when dropping the kids off at School. Parking is not a particularly gratifying experience for me, it’s not top on my list of “things to do at 8.30 in the morning” and so when having battled through 10 miles of traffic to find a number of (all in fact) mums and dads standing next to their cars having a jolly good gossip, having gleefully dropped their kids off on time, I find myself wondering how much porridge I’d serve if I were to mo them down like a row of domino’s. Isn’t everyone pushed for time, late or just in need of getting somewhere? The particular joy for me is seeing someone standing next to their car having a natter with the car in question taking up enough space to park a frigging spaceship in. My wife thinks is rude of me to request that they move or indeed express to them the view that it would be more prudent and indeed more thoughtful to either A. chat somewhere else or B. park away from the main gates and have a chat on the way back to the car? I watched my eight year old play for his school team a week or so ago against Walkern and saw something I’d never seen before and quite possibly the reason why England will never win a World Cup. The game had kicked off and five minutes in the manger of Fin’s side realised he’d not counted the number of players on

the pitch (neither had the ref) and so without hesitation he shouted “Can all Graveley kids stop running and stand still” and they did!! The game was in full flow and all Fin’s side where told to stop running so the manager could make sure only 7 kids where on the pitch. I nearly wet myself. The classroom was delivered only four weeks ago and already we are seeing things take shape. It arrived with toilets, a kitchen, and rooms all the wrong size so we’ve been busy ripping things out and putting things back together. Three good size classrooms, a small gym, office and reception area are all now in place, then Electrics, Alarm, Fire alarm and finally carpets and furniture and we’re ready to go. I anticipate completion by early January. We’ve already had a couple of day time

(long term) bookings for the function rooms and although we charge a very competitive rate it all counts towards building up these income streams. If you know anyone who is looking for day time hire get them to give us a buzz 01480 470012. The second Kids party room is also under way and will be up and running early January so please keep an eye out.

Right onto tonight’s game, let’s get behind the lads and hope I’m never needed to cover at Left back. Lee



Better advice from your local friendly independent financial advisor

Fenice Court, Phoenix Park, Eaton Socon, St Neots, Cambridgeshire PE19 8EP Email: Web:




Experts in Company Branding, Marketing and Website Design


01767 677559

Profile for St Neots Town Football Club

Issue 15 Histon FC  

Issue 15 Histon FC  

Profile for saints777