Obituaries Charles John Jones RS 49-56 Charles John Jones was born in Chester on 13 January 1940. He went to Rydal Prep School at Oakwood Park in Conwy in 1950, then to the Senior School in September 1953, leaving in 1956. He always said that these years were some of the best years of his life. On leaving school, Charles joined the family firm of Chas Jones, Agricultural Engineers, selling farm machinery and seeds throughout Cheshire and North Wales. He operated his own haulage company for a while, before working for Phil Morrey, and Old Rydalian school friend until his death. Charles had a lifelong interest in the fire service, and for a time owned two vintage fire engines, taking part in many rallies throughout the country. Charles died on 16 December 2011, leaving a widow, Ruth, son Richard and daughter Nicola. Phil Morrey Philip Duxbury Philip Duxbury was born in Bingley in 1928, went to Bradford Grammar School, and at 16 went to work at Magnet Joinery where he started his career. Magnet was started when his grandfather swapped his horse for the Magnet Firelighter company in the early 1900s. The company grew rapidly by concentrating on manufacturing standardised window frames, and was floated on the stock market in 1936.
Philip married Katherine Hagley from Grassington in April 1952. They went on to live in Birmingham where he managed the Magnet Factory for 10 years. It was whilst living in the Midlands his three children were born, Paul, Simon and Stephen. In 1962 the family moved back to Yorkshire. Magnet Joinery merged with Douthern Evans to become Magnet and Southerns plc in the early 1970s. During his 30 years with the company, Philip served on the main board, going on to become Managing Director. The company entered the FTSE 100 in 1984. In 1980 Philip went on to become a Director of the Bradford & Bingley Building Society, and became Chairman in 1988. He described himself as a ‘career businessman’, but also found time for lots of other causes, serving as a Keighley Councillor and being instrumental in the founding of the Yorkshire Clinic where he sat on the board for many years. Philip was actively involved with the village of East Morton, in particularly the Congregational Chapel, and was an active Governor of Rydal Penrhos for over 30 years. He is survived by his wife, Katherine, their three sons and six grandchildren. Stephen Duxbury
Edwin R P Boorman MA, DL, OBE RS 44-55 Edwin joined the Army in 1955 before attending Queens College, Cambridge from 1957-59, where he rowed for the College and gained an MA. He married and had four daughters before having a son in his second
marriage. He joined the family business, the Kent Messenger newspaper and stayed until his retirement in 2006. As President of the Newspaper Society he entertained HM The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh to lunch. He was also Chairman of British Legion Industries for approximately 20 years. He was a member of the court of the Worshipful Stationers Company and received an Honorary Doctorate from Kent University. He was High Sherrif of Kent 2001 and was awarded Deputy Leiutenant and OBE in 2002, and the Spirit of Kent Award 2003.
Edwin was a Knight of St John, a trustee of the Battle of Britain memorial, Chairman of Kent Youth, Chairman of Maidstone Foundation and Chairman of Maidstone Sea Cadets. He enjoyed sailing and competed in the London to Brighton Veteran Car run for 50 years in a 1902 Panhard et Levassor. He is survived by his wife, five children and seven grandchildren. Richard Ashbury, step brother
Norman A Smith MBE TD FCA RS 28-33 At Rydal, Norman was a competent student who was a good musician and won prizes for singing and life-saving. After leaving school he joined the Territorial Army whilst studying as an Accountants Article Clerk. At the beginning of the war he joined the RASC, going to France with the BEF and escaping at Dunkirk. Norman then served in Palestine, Cyprus and the whole of the North America campaign with the Desert Rats where he was awarded an MBE. He then took part in the D-Day landings, advancing through Belgium, Holland and Germany. After the war Norman took a brief job near Leeds before moving on to the Ground Nut Scheme in East Africa. Believing this to be a disaster, he resigned and joined Unilever with periods in Holland, Birkenhead, India and London, before retiring in 1976 as Head of the International Audit Department. A keen golfer, he was Captain of Effingham Golf Club (Surrey) in 1983 and was active in local activities. Married for 72 years, he leaves a wife, Beryl, two sons, Gordon and Dudley, a daughter, Jill, and five grandchildren.
Thomas Watson RS 91-00 After being diagnosed with Leukaemia in July 2010, Tom sadly passed away on 5th March 2012 at his family home in Colwyn Bay. Head Boy at Rydal Penrhos 1999-2000, Tom went on to enjoy four years at the University of St Andrews, studying Ancient History and Archaeology and then completed a postgraduate diploma in rural environment and land management at Harper Adams Agricultural College in Shropshire in 2006. After finishing his studies, Tom moved to York to work as a rural surveyor for The National Trust, and in 2009 he received his RICS status to become a qualified Chartered Surveyor. A keen sportsman throughout his life, Tom loved his golf, tennis and running in particular. He organised and
participated in many events, including a charity run from South to North Wales along Offa’s Dyke; the West Highland Way Race in Scotland in 2006 and 2007 and numerous marathons, including Paris, Dublin, Amsterdam and London. His last three marathons in London were all completed in under three hours. A brilliant encourager of others, Tom will be greatly missed by many and remembered as a kind and talented person with a wonderful sense of humour, who lived an active and fulfilled life. Anne Watson RS 66-68
Margaret Anne (Hetherington) Fowke PC 37-48 They joined Penrhos together in 1937: Junior’s youngest boarder, Peggy-Anne aged six, and Miss Constance Smith, the youngest headmistress to be appointed to a public school. Peggy-Anne, as she was always known, was born in a men-only club in India, where her father ran a tea plantation. During the War her parents stayed in India, her father joining the Army. No transport was available so Peggy was not to see her parents again until 1945. In spite of this dramatic start to her early life, Peggy rose above it all and become a very popular and hardworking member of school. A very gifted artist; I still have her painting in my autograph book circa 1941 and her sketches of Penrhos and Chatsworth were published in the Old Penrhosian of 1947. She was never a dullard at maths, played for the house (Ashcroft) hockey team and enjoyed singing in the school choir. Peggy was also a talented pianist – even surviving an electric fire thrown at her during a fraught one-to-one piano lesson!
After leaving school in 1948, Peggy helped her parents in their hotel in Runaway Bay, Jamaica where they had moved after the War. In 1983 HMS Sheffield escorted the SS Gothic with the Queen and Prince Philip on board for their visit to the island. A dance was arranged at the local tennis club for the Naval personnel and Peggy met Lieutenant David Fowke. Marriage to a Naval officer involved many house moves and, with two young children to look after whilst David was away at sea, life was not exactly humdrum. However, Peggy still found time to develop her artistic talents. While stationed in Singapore with David, she qualified as a Professor of the Sogetsu school of Ikebana. Later, when the children had left home, she trained and worked as an interior designer. Retiring to Alverstoke near Portsmouth, Peggy and David kept in close touch with many Penrhos friends. We will always treasure seventy years of memories of our happy and constant friendship through good times and bad. Peggy will be so missed by her husband David, children Caroline and Richard and her three grandchildren and many friends.
Ann (Lipkin) Mindelsohn 1948