Page 1

Your guide to

Royal Holloway 2018/19

Discover Royal Holloway 2018/19 We know many of you have just arrived at Royal Holloway for the first time, or maybe you’re returning after summer vacation. Either way, this guide has got you covered! These pages gather together the essential information you’ll need for the year ahead. We’ve included details like where to grab a coffee and get cash out, but we’ve left out all the stuff about dissertations and exams. If you have any questions, just flip to the back page where you’ll find details of who to contact. We hope you have a great 2018/19 academic year. Let’s get started!

How to stay up to date

Your timetable

If you’re after information about campus life at Royal Holloway, our student intranet at is the place to start. It’s updated every day with news and events from around campus, and has lots of detailed information – everything from sorting out problems in your halls, to finding a part-time job. You can also post messages on our online noticeboard and submit your own events to our online calendar.

Your academic timetable is available to see online through Campus Connect. You’re also able to download your timetable to your personal calendar on your phone! You’ll receive an email explaining how to access and download your timetable, but if you have any questions please contact

You’ll also receive a newsletter once a week during term-time highlighting the most important news and events from around campus – make sure to check your College email account so you don’t miss it! Finally, the Students’ Union website is a great way to find out about SU events and activities, which take place throughout the year. Check out their website at

©Hufton + Crow/Colorminimum

Follow us on social media! Royal Holloway Campus Life @RHCampusLife @RHCampusLife


Places to eat on campus For the latest food offerings and promotions, follow us on social media @RHfoodanddrink

Founder’s Building

Founder’s East, first floor next to the lift

Think food, think friends, think Founder’s – your new taste of home. Mon – Fri Breakfast 8 – 10am Lunch 11.45am – 2pm Dinner 5 – 7.30pm

International food, your way. Mon – Sun Lunch

11.30am – 2.30pm

5 – 7.30pm

Founder’s Building


Opposite main reception

Stylish café bar serving hot food and snacks. Mon – Fri 8.30am – 11pm


Artisan café with a wide range of vegetarian and vegan options. Mon – Fri

8.30am – 6pm

Street Food Downstairs at The Hub Relax with a coffee or a bubble tea. Mon – Sat 11am – midnight Sun


11am - 8pm

A mobile van serving food from around the world. Mon – Fri

8am - 4pm

Davison Building

Opposite campus on Egham Hill

Your Library café serving great, healthy food.

Stylish pub serving the whole community.

Sun - Thurs 7 - 4am

Mon - Sat

10am - 11.45pm

Fri - Sat


11am - 11pm

7am - 7pm

Find out more:

Kingswood Take a seat, eat and meet. Mon – Fri


6 – 7.30pm

Sat - Sun


11.30am – 1.30pm


6 – 7.30pm

Students’ Union Building

Kingswood Perfect for unwinding with a few drinks and a bite to eat with friends. Mon – Fri

8am – 9pm

Sat – Sun

1.30 – 6pm

Union Plaza

The Union’s burger bar, serving a range of hot and cold drinks with a wide selection of the best burgers on campus. Takeaway also available.

For the foodies out there head down to the Students’ Union and grab a quick lunch at the street food market.

Mon - Fri

Tuesdays during term-time: 10am - 3pm

9am - 8pm

Check the student intranet for opening times outside of term time. 4

Get involved How to meet people

How to join a sports club or society

If you’ve just started at Royal Holloway, it’s the perfect time to make new friends. Our advice is simple: get out there, have a look around and don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to people. You might find some of your best friends turn out to be people living next door to you in your hall, or they might be like-minded people you meet at an event, or in a sports club or society.

The Students’ Union has over 150 sports clubs, societies and media outlets for you to join, from fashion or film, to cheerleading and ultimate frisbee. You can find out more about each one at

Peer Guides Have you requested your Peer Guide yet? They are students from the same department who have been through their first year and can offer you advice and guidance. Find out more about how to get in contact with your Peer Guide at How to find out what’s on We list most events taking place on campus on our student intranet at, along with our Royal Holloway Campus Life social media channels. Most subjects and societies also have their own dedicated social media with details of smaller events and gatherings. You can find out about the Students’ Union’s events by visiting and their Royal Holloway Students’ Union social media accounts.

How to volunteer in your local community Volunteering is a great way to meet people, explore our local community, and grow as a person. Our award-winning Volunteering team has over 2,000 registered volunteers and over 250 community partners. On top of this, over 10,000 hours of volunteering are logged by students each year! Find out more and get involved at Keeping active on campus Our Sports Centre is located at the bottom of campus, and with a sports hall, tennis courts, astroturf pitch, 3G pitch, grass pitches and a newly-refurbished fitness suite, it couldn’t be easier to keep active! Each term there are timetables of drop-in sport from our Active programme, as well as social leagues and group exercise classes. All of these can be accessed through our various memberships on offer. To find out more visit If you’re interested in getting involved in other ways, such as student representation, visit page 13!

Follow us on social media! @RHULSPORT @RHULSPORT @RHULSPORT


Learn and develop How to get online If you’re new to Royal Holloway, you should have received your College username and password by email. You can change your password at any time by visiting If you can’t remember your login details, please contact our IT team. Our campus Wi-Fi network is called CampusNet. To connect:

Your email account is also yours for life – we’ll let you access it forever, so you can put it on your CV (or anywhere else you want to use it) without worrying about it disappearing. Saving your work While you’re at Royal Holloway you have your own personal secure network drive where you can save your work: your ‘Y drive’. To access your Y drive from any Royal Holloway computer: 1. Click on Computer from the main Windows menu

1. Select CampusNet as your wireless network

2. Select HOME (\\MYDATA) (Y:).

2. Open a web browser 3. Enter your College username and password.

You can also map your Y drive to your own computer or device if you’re connected to CampusNet or if you’re using our Campus Anywhere VPN service off-campus.

With CampusNet you can do everything you would on the internet at home, plus you can:

How to get help with IT

1. Access materials from your course, including our Virtual Learning Environment at and digital library resources 2. Save work to your personal network drive, which you can then access from anywhere 3. Send files to print to our combined printer/scanners (MFDs or Multi-Function Devices) across campus. To find out more go to Your College email account Email is the main way the College and your department will contact you, so be sure to check your email regularly. You can access your College email account by visiting and logging in with your username followed by ‘’ (e.g. and your password. You can use this log in for your Students’ Union account too.

The IT team are here to answer your technical queries online, in person, by email and on the phone. You can call them on 01784 41 4321 (9am – 5pm weekdays) or email us at If you have time, come and visit us in the Davison Building – we might be able to fix your problem right then and there. We’re based next to the helpdesk on the ground floor, and are open at the following times (during term time): Mon – Fri: 12 – 4pm, and 5 – 9pm Mon – Thurs (10am – 4pm during the first two weeks of autumn term) Sat – Sun: 12 – 5pm For more information, visit

Download our free software (like Microsoft Office) You can get a free copy of Microsoft Office 365! To download yours visit msoffice and follow the instructions. We also offer free antivirus and a range of other software totally free while you study here – visit to find out more.


Using our Library Where you can go to study There are lots of places to study on campus, including the Library in the Davison Building. You can also study in our Computer Centre, in between the Moore Building and the Windsor Building. It’s open all day, every day, and has several PC Labs where you can log on and work.

Accessing resources for your course

How to borrow

The Library is divided into different areas. The High Use Collection on the Ground Floor is where you’ll find the essential and recommended books on your reading list. All other books will be located on the First and Second Floors.

Your College Card is your library card. To borrow a book, take it to a self-issue kiosk and follow the instructions. You can borrow up to 25 items at once.

Our Archives and Special Collections can be found on the Lower Ground Floor of the Davison Building. You can discover exactly what resources are available by visiting and using LibrarySearch. You can find resources specific to your course at

Making the most out of your Library Knowing your way around the Library can certainly help your time at university. And you’ll never tire of hearing the importance of referencing properly! There are a number of video tutorials that can help you to make the most of your Library and its resources, from the basics of locating a book to searching individual databases. Alternatively, there are also a number of free Library and Research Skills courses which you can sign up to. If you can’t attend in person, you can download the course handbooks online. To find out more go to

Library opening hours Davison Building Open 24/7 Helpdesk 9am - 9pm

Royal Holloway Library @rhul_library @rhul_library LibraryRHUL


©Associated Architects/Ben McPhee

Follow us on social media!

Develop your academic skills Get ahead with CeDAS Do you want to take your academic writing to the next level? Need some guidance on statistics for your research paper? Our Centre for the Development of Academic Skills (CeDAS) is here to help you achieve your academic best. CeDAS offers a range of workshops, drop-ins and one-to-one tutorials covering everything from writing and research skills to academic english, maths and stats and more. CeDAS is here to help every student, no matter what year you’re in. Find out what CeDAS can offer you at or ask the team a question at

Follow us on Twitter! @cedasrhul


Careers & Employability Finding a job!

Perhaps finding a job isn’t on your mind right now. But getting a parttime job while at Royal Holloway can be a great way to earn some extra cash and make new friends – plus it’s great experience for your CV.

Our Careers & Employability Service runs a range of fairs throughout the academic year, including the Part‑time Jobs Fair. It’s a great place to meet employers, find out about job opportunities and get a job that fits with your studies. The Part-time Jobs Fair even offers on-the-day interview slots – bring your CV along and perhaps you’ll get hired! With so many bars and food outlets on campus there are lots of job opportunities here! The Students’ Union alone employs more than 350 students in a range of roles from catering assistants to graphic designers and photographers. If you’re thinking about careers for when you graduate, careers fairs are held throughout the year. These fairs are the perfect place to meet potential employers and secure internships and placements, with over 1,000 students attending last year’s largest fair! To find out more about our fairs visit


Thinking about your career The Careers & Employability Service is here to help you, whether it’s for one-to-one support or advice on applying for a part-time job and starting your career plan. The Employer in Residence scheme enables you to meet visiting employers and explore your options in different work sectors in a relaxed, informal environment. And look out for their awardwinning micro-placements scheme that runs in 12 departments! They’re located in the Davison Building every weekday from 10am – 6pm term-time, and 10am – 5.30pm during vacation. Alternatively, you can contact the team on 01784 443 073, email careers@, visit careers or to book appointments, sign up for events and search for jobs. The Royal Holloway Passport Award The Royal Holloway Passport Award recognises your contributions to the College and the wider community through co-curricular activities, and is popular with employers. Every student is automatically enrolled onto the scheme. To find out more and to start earning passport points visit

Looking after yourself and each other What to do if you need help with anything We’re a friendly and caring community here at Royal Holloway. And for those of you who have just joined us, we know coming to university isn’t always a smooth transition. Luckily, our Wellbeing team is here to help, whether you need a listening ear or more proactive support. We’re always happy to listen and support you To get in touch with the Student Advisory & Wellbeing Services team call them on 01784 443395 or email at To find out more visit RoyalHollowayWelfareAndWellbeing @RH_Wellbeing @RH_Wellbeing If you’re living in halls, the Hall Life team is on hand to help. The Hall Life team run innovative events and campaigns for you, bringing the student community together in halls of residence and promoting a happy hall experience! They can also talk to you about

problems and direct you to more specialised help if you need it. You’ll meet the Hall Life team during your first few days on campus. How to register at the NHS Health Centre (and what to do if you’re ill) Whether you live on campus or not, it’s important that you register at the on-site NHS practice as soon as possible after you start at Royal Holloway. That way, if you do need treatment for anything the practice team will have your records on hand to help take care of you. For most medical problems you can call the NHS practice on 01784 443131. An NHS out of hours care service is provided locally. If you have a medical emergency that may be life-threatening, call 999 immediately. If you need urgent medical advice (but it’s not life-threatening) call the NHS advice line on 111. Students’ Union Advice Centre The Students’ Union runs an independent Advice Centre, with Student Support Advisors on hand to give specialist advice in relation to any academic or housing issues. Find out more at What to do in an emergency If you need urgent assistance, call Security on 01784 443063 or the emergency services on 999. It’s a good idea to save these numbers on your phone in case you need them quickly. You can report a crime or speak to the police about something that’s not an emergency by calling 101. Only call an ambulance if you need it. Our closest hospital is St. Peters in Chertsey, which can be reached by bus and is a 15-20 minutes drive away. Our Security team operates 24 hours a day, every day, and can provide emergency support at all times. You can find out more at


Managing your money How to pay for items on campus Your College Card acts as your Campus Account card and you should carry it with you at all times. Your Campus Account is a quick and easy way to pay for things on campus – with money in your account, you can pay just by swiping your card. It helps you save money too. If you use your College Card to pay for something on campus you’ll automatically save 20% (the Value Added Tax, or VAT) on most food and hot drinks in College-run catering outlets. If you’re living in Founder’s, Reid or Kingswood you’ll receive an even bigger 50% discount on food and drink in Founder’s and KW’s dining halls, on top of the 20% VAT discount. All you need to do is top up your card and start spending. You can do this at one of our top up machines or you can manage your account online. Start saving money with your Campus Account Say our lasagne costs you £3.60 a portion if you paid by cash. If you’re living in catered ‘pay as you go’ halls, you get a 50% discount on the food, plus another 20% discount for not paying VAT. That means that £3.60 lasagne actually only costs you £1.50 at the till, if you use your College card. If you’re not in catered ‘pay as you go’ halls, the lasagne would still only cost you £3, as you wouldn’t have to pay the VAT. All you have to do is pay with your College Card! To set up your online account: 1. Go to 2. Enter ROYALHOLLOWAY as Company’s affiliated ID 3. Your user ID is the last six digits of your student ID number and follow the instructions on screen Once you’ve topped up your card, just present it when you’re asked to pay.


You can also download the upaychilli app once you’ve registered. The app enables you to scan your phone to pay for products. Getting money out and banking You can withdraw cash for free, if you have a UK bank account, at the ATM machines on campus. We’ve also got our own branch of Santander located within the Davison Building which offers a range of banking services. Find out more about student banking at opening-a-student-bank-account.aspx What to do if you need help with money If you find yourself getting into difficulties with money, please talk to us. We can talk about and help you with most financial concerns. You can contact our Financial Advice team on 01784 414633 or 276109 or by email at

Supporting you Where to look for information If you need to find out about an aspect of life at Royal Holloway, the student intranet should be your first port of call. It’s regularly updated with the latest campus news, events and there’s an online noticeboard where you can organise club and society activities, buy and sell things and more. Visit Where to go if you need help If you’ve got a problem with anything at Royal Holloway the most important thing is to talk to us about it. If we know there’s a problem, we’ll always try and help. It might be obvious who to talk to if you’ve got an issue (like your Hall Reception to fix a problem in your room, or your academic department if there’s something you’re having difficulty with on your course) while other times it might be less obvious.

If you don’t know who to talk to, speak to our Student Services Centre team – even if they can’t help you they’ll find out who can. They are located in the Davison Building and are open Mon - Fri, 8.30am 6.30pm during term-time and 9.30am - 5.30pm during vacation. You can also contact them on 01784 276641 or email Need proof of your student status? There are a variety of documents available to you as a student. Find out more about these documents and how to access them at study/documents-and-forms A dog ate my College Card It happens to the best of us! Your first replacement College Card is free, then it’s £10 each time. To get a new one, visit the Student Services Centre in the Davison Building. We’ll print your replacement there and then!


Be Heard Effective student representation is a key part of Royal Holloway’s campus life and there are lots of ways you can get involved to ensure that you have your say. Your Sabbatical Officers The Students’ Union is here to represent your views so that your time studying at Royal Holloway is a positive and enjoyable experience. Every year you, the student body, elects a team of five full-time officers to lead the Union. The Officers work on a range of issues relating to student life; from listening to your views, through to working with the College to introduce positive change on campus. This year your Officers are Clem, Willow, Jack, Holly and Dom – find out more about their roles at Course Reps Course Reps are an important link between students and staff at Royal Holloway. They are elected by students on a particular course to represent their views, and ultimately to help improve the quality of the educational experience of students at Royal Holloway. Find out more at Bright Ideas Launched in 2016, the Bright Ideas platform is here for you to make things happen! You can submit any idea



you have to improve student life at Royal Holloway and when an idea reaches a critical mass the SU will begin work on making it happen. Find out more and submit your ideas at The Royal Holloway 100 The RH100 is a large focus group, with 100 panellists from across Royal Holloway, acting as a representative sample to influence decisions being made at the College. As part of the RH100 you can drive change by providing your input and working in partnership with the College. If this sounds like something you’d like to be part of, look out for our recruitment drive and find out more at or contact us at Student Surveys Every year, you’re encouraged to take part in a student survey. This is your chance to let us know what you’re liking and what could be improved at Royal Holloway. We read every survey response you give us, and every department makes an action plan based on what you tell us. Past responses from students are why we built the Davison Building and the Boilerhouse Café!


Need help? • The student intranet at has answers to most questions about Royal Holloway • Visit the Student Services Centre in the Davison Building from 8.30am - 6.30pm on weekdays during term-time, or 9.30am - 5.30pm on weekdays during vacation time • Contact the Student Services Centre by emailing or call them on 01784 276641 • In an emergency call Security 24/7 on 01784 443063

2018/19 term dates Autumn term Monday 24 September - Friday 14 December 2018 Spring term Monday 14 January - Friday 29 March 2019 7850 07/18

Summer term Monday 29 April - Friday 14 June 2019

Your Guide to Royal Holloway 2018/19  
Your Guide to Royal Holloway 2018/19