Lincolnshire Learning, Wisdom and Folklore Heritage Open Days Festival Friday 13 â&#x20AC;&#x201C; Sunday 22 September 2019 Barton upon Humber Guide
We would like to thank the following people for supplying photographs for this brochure: Paul Laws, David Lund, Emma Bradshaw & Jo Marwood This is a partnership project managed by The Ropewalk and Wilderspin National School Museum, and funded by Heritage Lottery Fund.
Lincolnshire Learning, Wisdom and Folklore
elcome to Barton upon Humber, and your guide to Heritage Open Days, taking place around the UK from Friday 13 to Sunday 22 September 2019.
Each year, Heritage Open Days is an opportunity to celebrate Barton’s best-loved treasures and hidden gems, with exclusive events, talks, tours and activities for all the family to enjoy. This year’s theme is “Lincolnshire Learning, Wisdom and Folklore”, and we’re offering a special insight into some of the buildings, industries and skills that shape the past, present and future of our town. New to this year’s programme is the chance to explore the fascinating history of the Barton Haven Shipyard, learning traditional knots and lashings and scaling some of the boats under renovation. For those in need of a little relaxation, enjoy a taster session of Tai Chi at The Ropewalk or an unusual Gong Bath at Joseph Wright Hall. Following last year’s success, there’s another opportunity to head down into the anchorage of the Humber Bridge, and even a special tour of the Ossuary (bone store) at St. Peter’s Church! Within this guide, you’ll find details of all the events taking place over the festival, venue details and a handy map to plan your route – it’s also an ideal souvenir to keep and use to visit many of the venues at other times of the year. At several of our events, you’ll spot our volunteers who will be on hand to help with directions, give suggestions of other places to visit, and help you to get the most out of the Heritage Open Days programme. We encourage you to walk, wherever possible, between the participating venues to fully experience the heritage offering of our market town. Look out for independent shops and eateries, spot the plaques marking our important historic buildings and walk in the footsteps of the people that have shaped the learning, wisdom and folklore of our special corner of North Lincolnshire. Some events require booking in advance, which is clearly marked on the relevant listings. Parking and toilet facilities are available at some venues and around the town, but please telephone the venue directly if you have specific requirements. Most events are free of charge although some do incur a small fee. There’s so much to discover in Barton upon Humber, so come and celebrate Heritage Open Days with us from Friday 13 to Sunday 22 September – we look forward to welcoming you!
What’s On - At A Glance THROUGH THE WEEK
St. Peter’s Church
An Archaeological Treasure Trove
Friday - Sunday, 10.00am – 3.00pm
Joseph Wright Hall
50 years of safeguarding Barton’s heritage: 1969-2019
Thursday - Sunday, 10.00am – 4.00pm (except Saturday 14, 12.00 pm- 2.00 pm & Saturday 21, 12.00pm - 4.00pm
Baysgarth House Museum
Links to Learning & Wisdom (+ guided tours)
Thursday - Sunday, 12.00pm – 4.00pm
Sue Stone - Collected Memories Exhibition
7 days, 10.00am – 5.00pm (10.00am - 4.00pm Sunday)
United Reformed Church
Behind the Chapel doors
Weekends, 11.00am - 3.00pm
Joseph Wright Hall
Grand Masters with Wilderspin Arts Group
Thursday 19 - Sunday 22, 10.00am – 4.00pm
Wilderspin National School Museum
Thursday - Sunday 10.00am – 4.00pm
13 SATURDAY 14 FRIDAY
Humber Bridge Anchorage Tours
8.15am – 4.00pm
Barton Haven Shipyard Guided Tours
10.00am – 2.00pm (tours every 30 minutes)
Trinity Methodist Church: Coffee Morning and Guided Tours
10.00am – 2.00pm
The Ropewalk: Tai Chi Demonstration and Session
Demo: 11.00am – 12.00pm, Session 2.00pm – 3.00pm
Waters’ Edge Visitor Centre: Natural discovery Meet the Bats!
11.00am – 3.00pm 1.00pm – 2.00pm
St. Peter’s Church: The Ossuary – Expert Talk
11.00am – 12.00pm
Applegate House: Barton Bunker: Open for 12.00pm – 3.00pm Viewing Bardney Hall: Open Gardens & Ice Cream
12.00pm - 3.00pm
Joseph Wright Hall: The Gong Space Sound 3.00pm – 4.00pm Therapy Session
Joseph Wright Hall: Sunday School
10.00am – 4.00pm
Barton Haven Shipyard Guided Tours
10.00am – 2.00pm (tours every 30 minutes)
The Ropewalk: Guided Tour
11.00am - 12.00pm
St Peter’s Church: The Architecture of St. Peter’s 11.00am – 12.00pm Church - Expert Talk Trinity Methodist Church: Open Church and Guided Tours
12.00pm – 4.00pm
Far Ings National Nature Reserve - Education & 1.00pm – 3.00pm Visitor Centre: Practical Plants Applegate House: Barton Bunker Guided Tour
1.00pm – 3.00pm
Tyrwhitt Hall: Open for Viewing Expert Talk
1.30pm – 3.00pm 3.00pm - 4.00pm
Bardney Hall: Lincolnshire Afternoon Tea
2.00pm, 3.30pm & 5.00pm
16 TUESDAY 17 WEDNESDAY 18 MONDAY
The Old Tile Works: My Time with Ted Lewis
10.00am – 1.00pm, 3.00pm – 4.30pm
Barton Cemetery: Natural Heritage Guided Walk
6.00pm – 7.00pm
Applegate House: Barton Bunker
1.30pm – 4.30pm
The Ropewalk: Traditional Printing Session 2.00pm – 4.00pm Heritage Printing for Young People 6.30pm – 8.30pm
20 SATURDAY 21 FRIDAY
Barton Haven Shipyard Guided Tours
10.00am – 2.00pm (tours every 30 minutes)
Ropery Hall: Film Matinee Boys Will Be Boys (1935)
1.30pm – 3.00pm
The Ropewalk: Guided Tour
3.00pm - 4.00pm
Ropery Hall: Film Evening School for Scoundrels (1960)
7.30pm – 9.00pm
Joseph Wright Hall: Barton Civic Society Talk 7.30pm – 9.00pm “Waters’ Edge” Wilderspin National School Museum: Heritage Printing Drop-in
10.00am – 1.00pm
Barton Haven Shipyard Guided Tours
10.00am – 2.00pm (tours every 30 minutes)
Trinity Methodist Church: Coffee Morning and 10.00am – 2.00pm Guided Tours
St. Peter’s Church: The Ossuary – Expert Talk
11.00am – 12.00pm
Applegate House: Barton Bunker Guided Tours
1.00pm – 3.00pm
Barton Haven Shipyard Guided Tours
10.00am – 2.00pm (tours every 30 minutes)
Trinity Methodist Church: Open Church, Guided 10.00am – 4.00pm Tours & Service St. Peter’s Church: The Architecture of St. Peter’s 11.00am – 12.00pm Church – Expert Talk The Old Tile Works: Guided walk along the “Ted Lewis Trail”
11.00am – 1.00pm
Applegate House: Barton Bunker - Open for 12.00pm – 3.00pm Viewing Far Ings National Nature Reserve - Education & 1.00pm – 3.00pm Visitor Centre: Practical Plants
Tyrwhitt Hall - Expert Talk
1.30pm – 4.30pm (tours at 2.00pm, 2.45pm and 3.45pm)
Bardney Hall: Lincolnshire Afternoon Tea
2.00pm, 3.30pm & 5.00pm
See individual entries for full details
Outdoor clothing/footwear recommended
EVENTS & VENUE INFORMATION Applegate House
Applegate House (50 Holydyke) has long been renowned for offering support services to the local community, including once operating as the Lindsey County Council Welfare Centre from 1933, and subsequently as an antenatal and postnatal clinic for the new mothers of Barton. Today, the site is managed by Options Group, providing accommodation and personalised support to people with autistic spectrum conditions, learning disabilities and complex needs. During WWII, many households in the town received Anderson Shelters, but an additional 12 public air raid shelters were built around Barton including one in the grounds of Applegate House. This public shelter has two separate entrances/exits, and with support and funding from Barton Lions, The Ropewalk and Wilderspin National School Museum, has been restored and opened in 2018 for Heritage Open Days as the only publicly-accessible shelter remaining in the town.
EVENT Barton Bunker Open for Viewing Saturday 14th September 12.00pm - 3.oopm Wednesday 18th September, 1.30pm – 4.30pm Sunday 22nd September, 12.00pm - 3.oopm Guided tours Sunday 15th September, 1.00pm – 3.00pm Saturday 21st September, 1.00pm – 3.00pm Join the Wilderspin National School Museum and the Options Group to take a trip underground and explore one of the last-remaining public air raid shelters in Barton upon Humber, built during World War II in the grounds of this former clinic. Guided tours every 30 minutes, booking is essential on 01652 660380.
Bardney Hall is a fine Queen Anne house in Barton upon Humber, built in the early 1700s for William Gildas as a private residence. Located on the corner of Whitecross Street, Preston Lane and Caistor Road, opposite to Baysgarth Park, it stands on the site of Bardney Abbey Rectory, the Lincolnshire monastery owning much of Barton during the Middle Ages and reputed to have a secret passage to Thornton Abbey. The Hall has many fine architectural features which reflect the town’s growing prosperity during the 18th Century. This Grade II-listed property features a wealth of original and period features including stunning fireplaces, Ionic capitals and pillars, wooden panelling, sash windows and beautifully-proportioned rooms.
EVENT Lincolnshire Afternoon Tea Sunday 15th September, 2.00pm, 3.30pm or 5.00pm Sunday 22nd September, 2.00pm, 3.30pm or 5.00pm Explore the historic and beautiful Bardney Hall and grounds. Now a boutique bed and breakfast, take a stroll around the house, peek into the rooms, and then enjoy a luxurious Lincolnshire afternoon tea with prosecco! Afternoon tea is priced at £13.95 per person and booking is essential on 01652 638188. Open Gardens Saturday 14th September, 12.00pm - 3.00pm Spend the afternoon enjoying the gardens, secret pathways and areas of formal planting, then relax on the lawn with an ice cream. PLEASE NOTE: Bardney Hall will not be open to view on this date.
Set in superbly-landscaped grounds within the conservation area of Barton upon Humber, Bardney Hall is mentioned in Pevsner’s architectural guides. At one time used as a Rosminian Sisters church school, the adjoining St. Augustine Webster church stands within its former grounds. Bardney Hall has been refurbished to an exceptionally high standard, and currently runs as a high-end boutique bed and breakfast.
Barton Haven Shipyard
Barton was once a major port on the River Humber, before the growth of Hull in the Middle Ages. Records are in existence of Barton ships and ship-owners trading with the continent in the 1300s, so it seems likely that repair or building facilities existed alongside this trade. Documents from the 18th century list several shipbuilders who repaired the many coastal schooners and ketches that used Barton Haven, and built fishing smacks, keels and sloops. The yard had a sail loft where sails for keels and sloops were made, and a floating dry-dock for repairs. It eventually became a partnership of William Brown and Robert Bell Clapson, who met during their apprenticeships at Burton Stather shipyard.
EVENT Barton Waterside and the history of boat building Saturday 14th September, Sunday 15th September, Thursday 19th September, Saturday 21st September, Sunday 22nd September 10.00am – 2.00pm (tours every 30 minutes) Once Brown and Clapson’s shipyard in the mid-19th century, the shipyard adjacent to Barton Haven is now dedicated to rebuilding and restoring vintage yachts. Enjoy a guided tour of the boats under restoration, try your hand at carving, knots and lashings, and gain an insight into the skills behind heritage boat building, as well as the owners’ plans to pass on these skills to future generations. Stout footwear is essential, as the tour involves climbing ladders and moving around a working shipyard. Booking is essential on 01652 660380.
Clapson & Sons was established as a company in 1912 by Robert Bell Clapson and his three sons to take over Barton shipyard, after William Brown’s retirement. The new owners built a number of vessels during both World War I and World War II, which were in service worldwide. Barton shipyard built many of the sloops and keels which traded under sail, and also provided masts, spars and leeboards to other shipyards such as Hessle and New Holland for their new vessels. Some of the early fishing smacks for the new railway port of Grimsby were also built at Barton. As commercial vessels disappeared from from the Humber, cargoes now being carried by road, the yard concentrated on pleasure craft. The shipyard continued in existence under the ownership of Eric Hammond trading as Offshore Steel Boats, where a successful range of inshore fishing vessels were supplied country-wide as well as steel yachts and work boats. This work continued until 2009, when current owner Joe Irving established Draughtsman Racing Yachts, with the business rebuilding and restoring vintage yachts to a high standard.
Baysgarth House Museum
Baysgarth House is the Grade II-listed ancestral home of the Nelthorpe family, who owned the house between 1620 and 1792. The house changed hands frequently until 1889 when it was purchased by barrister Robert Wright Taylor, whose father, Robert, had lived at New Hall on Newport. The heir of the house, Lieut. George Robert Marmaduke Stanbury Taylor, was killed in a gas attack while serving with the Royal Field Artillery at Passchendaele. On the death of Wright Taylor in 1929, Baysgarth House was inherited by his daughter Clare Ermyntrude Magdalen Wright Ramsden (nĂŠe Taylor) who, being married and settled in Norfolk, gifted the house to Barton Urban District Council in 1930.
Over the decades, the house has served a range of uses. In 1940, an Air Raid Precaution Officer was stationed in the house, and an ambulance service operated from the site. Following the war, it became part of the Barton Grammar School, and from 1960-1997 Council Offices were located there. In 1981, a Museum opened in the building, which was taken on by CHAMP (Community, Heritage, Arts and Media Project) in 2004 when the Council closed the building.
Baysgarth House: Links to Learning & Wisdom Thursday - Sunday 12.00pm â&#x20AC;&#x201C; 4.00pm Tours at 1.00pm and 3.00pm during the weekends An exhibition around education in the Barton area and Baysgarth House, featuring the works of Rex Russell. Take part in a guided tour of the Museum and learn about its fascinating history. Booking for the tour is essential on 01652 637568.
Barton Cemetery was a product of the series of Burial Acts of the 1850s, which set out to deal with the problem of “over-full” churchyards. In November 1866, the Burial Board gained a loan of £3,000 from the Public Works Loan Commissioners for the creation of a cemetery on the Barrow Road site. By early 1867, Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln had been appointed architects and surveyors for the scheme and A. Swanson, gardener of Barton, had been contracted to plough, harrow and grass seed the 4.5 acre site. He was also to plant trees, shrubs and plants as prescribed by the architects, maintain them for a year, dig out existing hedgerows and reduce the bank beside the road. The site for the cemetery was on gently sloping land leading down to the estuary warplands, therefore some embanking was needed which is still evident today. The site was divided into rectangular blocks, some being consecrated by the Bishops of Lincoln to accommodate the then requirements of the Established Church, whilst the unconsecrated land was often preferred by the Non-Conformists. Gradually, burials became less denominational although a Catholic area remains today. Unusually, Barton cemetery has no specific area to accommodate the preferences of ethnic minorities. As was usual in cemetery design, the site was to have three buildings; a cemetery-man’s Lodge with a range of outbuildings including a Registrar’s Office, Chapels of Rest and a Dead House. Although the Dead House no longer exists, the “Lodge” remains in good condition, retaining most of its original features, and the Chapels of Rest also remain although no longer serving their original purpose.
EVENT Natural Heritage Guided Walk Tuesday 17th September, 6.00pm – 7.00pm Meet local historian Richard Clarke at the west gate of Barton Cemetery, for a guided evening walk of the grounds. The original part of Barton Cemetery, with its chapels of rest, cemetery-man’s house and quality planting, is a fine example of Victorian public investment as well as being a pleasant green space today. Booking is essential on 01652 660380.
Far Ings National Nature Reserve – Education & Visitor Centre
For centuries, the thick layer of clay which borders the Humber Estuary has been used to make tiles, bricks and cement. The tile yards on the Far Ings site were abandoned in the 1950s, leaving the pits to fill naturally with water. “Ings” is an old English word for the wet pastures to the west of Barton which, before embankment, were part of the Humber flood plain. In the late 19th century there were 15 brick and tile yards; hundreds of men were employed to dig the clay by hand. Supplies of clay began to run out during the early 20th century when many yards were abandoned, including those on the Far Ings site. The clay workings soon filled with water and were colonised by reed and willow, forming a haven for many wildflowers, insects and birds. In 1983, Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust acquired the 100
Practical Plants Sunday 15th September, 1.00pm – 3.00pm Sunday 22nd September, 1.00pm – 3.00pm A family guided walk exploring the various plants growing at Far Ings. We will then have a go at creating some fun items from the practical plants that we collect! Stout footwear is essential, as the site can be muddy and rough underfoot in places. Booking is essential on 01652 660380, or email email@example.com. acres of old pits which now form the Far Ings National Nature Reserve. In the 1980s, the reeds in the old clay pits were thick and dense, and the booming call of the bittern was just a dream. Over the years, Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust has developed the techniques of reedbed management to dramatic effect. Bitterns, kingfishers, water voles and an array of other wildlife can now be seen at the nature reserve.
EVENT Humber Bridge
A bridge was originally proposed by Hull City Council in 1920, but due to lack of funding and a strong petition by the Farmerâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s Company of Barton, the proposal was denied. Had the proposal gone through, the view of the River Humber would be very different. In fact, a range of proposals had been made that could have changed the history of the river, including a railway bridge, toll bridge, road tunnels and railway tunnels. Approval for the construction of a suspension bridge was granted in 1959 with the passing of the Humber Bridge Act and the creation of the Humber Bridge Board, although it was not until 1973 that work finally began on this iconic structure. There were two reasons why a suspension bridge was chosen. Firstly, because of the geology and topography of the area, the cost of constructing a tunnel would have been excessive. Secondly, the River Humber has a shifting bed, causing navigational problems for vessels. This necessitated a wide, unobstructed path to be maintained across the channel, which could only be achieved via a suspension design. The bridge first opened to traffic on June 24, 1981 and was officially opened by Her Majesty The Queen on July 17, 1981.
Exclusive Tour of the Humber Bridge anchorage Friday 13th September, 8.15am â&#x20AC;&#x201C; 4.00pm (tours last 1.5 hours, at 8.15am, 9.45am, 11.15am, 1.00pm, 2.30pm and 4.00pm) At 38 years of age, the Grade I-listed Humber Bridge is an iconic landmark admired across the globe. Many cross by road and foot every day, but few have witnessed the amazing sights beneath the Bridge deck. Join staff for this exclusive tour deep into the anchorage, an experience that is like walking onto a film set! Stout footwear and trousers are essential, and other protective equipment will be provided before the tour commences. Tours are only open to people aged 18+ and are not suitable for people with disabilities. Due to limited capacity, the tours will run to strict timings. Meeting point is at Humber Bridge Offices, Ferriby Road, Hessle, HU13 0HX. Booking is essential on 01652 660380.
Joseph Wright Hall
The foundation stone for the former Queen Street Primitive Methodist Chapel was laid in April 1867, and the chapel was opened later the same year to replace an earlier chapel of 1838 in Newport. Barton upon Humber fell within the Hull District at the time, one of the leading areas for Primitive Methodism in the country. This huge and ornate Primitive Methodist Chapel originally had seating for 600 people, and was designed by architect Joseph Wright of Hull, who designed more than 20 chapels in the region. At a cost of £1,500 to build, this was one of his most impressive buildings and is among the last surviving examples of his work today.
EVENT 50 years of safeguarding Barton’s heritage: 1969-2019 Friday 13th September, 10.00am – 4.00pm Saturday 14th September, 12.00pm – 2.00pm Sunday 15th September, 10.00am – 4.00pm Thursday 19th September, 10.00am – 4.00pm Friday 20th September, 10.00am – 4.00pm Saturday 21st September, 12.00pm – 4.00pm Sunday 22nd September, 10.00am – 4.00pm An exhibition by Barton Civic Society to celebrate its 50th anniversary! In partnership with Barton Camera Club, visit this exhibition to trace the changes in Barton upon Humber over five decades, and the projects that the Civic Society has supported.
The building ceased to be used by the Methodists in 1961 and subsequently became the Salvation Army Citadel in 1965. The interior of the main hall was substantially redesigned by the insertion of a floor at gallery level, removal of the ground floor pews and alterations to the frontage. Most of the gallery, together with virtually all the beautiful windows and the plasterwork to the ceiling and organ chamber arch, survive.
The Gong Space: Sound Therapy Session Saturday 14th September, 3.00pm – 4.00pm Gongs are healing instruments that have been used for thousands of years to promote healing, stress relief, meditative states and deep relaxation. The therapeutic gong space bathes you in sound-waves and vibrations to re-tune and balance on a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual level. Learn about the history of this therapy, and take part in a session in this historic building. Booking is essential on 01652 660380.
Sunday School Sunday 15th September, 10.00am – 4.00pm Learn the history of the Primitive Methodist Sunday School in this Grade II-listed former chapel, designed by renowned architect Joseph Wright and opened in 1867. Please note - the first floor gallery is accessible by stairs only. Grand Masters with Wilderspin Arts Group Thursday 19th September - Sunday 22nd September, 10.00am – 4.00pm The Wilderspin Arts Group’s popular exhibition, with its members’ recreation of paintings from the “Grand Masters”, returns on the first-floor gallery of the Joseph Wright Hall. Please note – the gallery is accessible by stairs only. Barton Civic Society 1969-2019: Waters’ Edge Friday 20th September, 7.30pm – 9.00pm Waters’ Edge Country Park was created from reclaimed industrial land which had become one of the most toxic sites in Europe. Landscape historian Richard Clarke traces the story of the site, and the clean-up challenge inherited by North Lincolnshire Council – a project closely monitored by the Civic Society in the 1990s. Victorian Music Hall Show Friday 13 September, 7.30pm, Adults £6.50, Children & Concessions £5. Enjoy the thrills of Victorian music hall theatre in our “eclectic, energetic and effervescent” variety show, certain to entertain and keep you smiling! Although not essential, the audience is encouraged to wear Victorian attire! Please note our Victorian theatre is accessible by stairs only. Booking Essential: (01652) 635172
EVENT My time with Ted Lewis Monday 16th September, 10.00am – 1.00pm, 3.00pm – 4.30pm
The Old Tile Works
William Blyth’s Tile Yard is one of the few remaining tile works in the UK still using traditional production methods. Blyth’s Tile Yard began operations in 1840, and was one of 13 tile works in Barton by the late 19th century. The tile industry flourished in the area thanks to the rich source of clay along the banks of the River Humber, that was ideal for making tiles and bricks. The industry was particularly prosperous after 1850 when the Brick Tax was abolished.
Barton-based novelist, artist and musician Ted Lewis was most famous for the film “Get Carter” and managing graphics on The Beatles’ Yellow Submarine. Drop in to record your anecdotes of Ted Lewis, no matter how small, and show any artefacts you may have! If you have detailed information to provide, please get in touch on 01652 661823 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blyth’s Tile Yard has been a key player in the UK’s construction industry throughout its history, with many roofs across the country, particularly in London, being built with tiles from this yard. Many of the workers in the industry lived in cottages built in the yard, of which one pair remains here. The remaining ponds, marking the pits from which the clay was extracted, are evidence of its former importance to the economy of the town.
Guided walk along the “Ted Lewis Trail” Sunday 22nd September, 11.00am – 1.00pm
Now known as The Old Tile Works, tile production continues on the site today, and uses the same traditional clay and firing techniques to produce a variety of colours and textures to the tiles. There is now also a restaurant/coffee shop on site, an Artisan Village and Garden Pottery Shop.
A guided walk conducted by one of Ted Lewis’ biographers and Barton friends, sharing the Humber Bank heritage which influenced and is described in three of Ted’s novels, and other important places in his life. Donations are gratefully accepted, and stout footwear is advised. Booking is essential on 01652 660380.
Hall’s Ropery dates back to 1767 when the Halls, a wealthy ship-owning family from Hull, first became involved in rope making in Barton as the town already had a workforce of skilled dressers, spinners and rope makers. Ropemaking on the Maltkiln Road site is believed to have begun in 1800 when Thomas Hall and his son William bought land to the east of Barton Haven, and buildings including the characteristic “ropewalk” were constructed. Thomas’s eldest son, John, began the development of ropemaking in earnest after the business was transferred to him around 1802 and the works steadily expanded. His son, John Edward, continued the expansion of Hall’s Ropery but the company suffered with the
advent of steam fishing, so it was reborn in 1890 as Hall’s Barton Ropery Ltd. With the works extended to meet the war-time demands between 1914 and 1918. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s, the company’s export trade was vigorously pursued with “Hall-Mark” ropes being supplied around the world. With the advance of new technology in plastics in the 1950s, the works began producing ropes from synthetic fibres and continued through the 1960s and 1970s to make both synthetic and natural fibre ropes. The site was closed in December 1989, and stood empty until it was re-purposed as a quarter-of-a-mile long, Grade II-listed arts centre housing galleries, a sculpture garden, museum, coffee shop, artists studios, meeting rooms and Ropery Hall – a venue for live music, comedy, theatre and cinema.
EVENT Sue Stone: Collected Memories Saturday 14th September – Sunday 22nd September, 10.00am – 5.00pm (Sundays 10.00am – 4.00pm) For the “Collected Memories” project, Grimsby-based textile artist Sue Stone invited members of the public to share their memories of themselves and their relationships in the form of anecdotes, sounds and images. She has now collected memories from participants all over the world, with a huge variety of stories to tell. Sue’s inspiration is drawn from personal relationships, life observations and a pride in her heritage. Her work has an emphasis on hand embroidery mixed with machine stitch and paint.
Guided tour of The Ropewalk Sunday 15th September, 11.00am - 12.00pm Thursday 19th September, 3.00pm - 4.00pm Join Liz Bennet, Managing Director for an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of this historic building. Hear the stories of how Hall’s Ropery began on the Maltkiln Road site, the expansion of the rope making trade, and its eventual closure and re-purpose as an arts centre. Walk through this iconic quarter-of-a-mile long building, and finish the tour in Ropery Hall with an illustrated talk on the recent history of the site. Booking is essential on 01652 660380. Traditional Printing with the Ropewalk Printmakers Wednesday 18th September, 2.00pm – 4.00pm Join the Ropewalk Printmakers in the Print Room of this former ropery, for a demonstration of press printing and opportunity to make a traditional relief print from rope-themed printing blocks, or design your own printing block to print from. Booking is essential on 01652 660380. Heritage Printing Wednesday 18th September, 6.30pm – 8.30pm
Tai Chi: Demonstration and Session Saturday 14th September, demonstration 11.00am – 12.00pm, session 2.00pm – 3.00pm
The regular Art Club for young people is running a special heritage printing night! Suitable for 12-19 year olds, create prints from everyday items and natural materials. You can choose to create your design on paper to create your own cards, or onto fabric to transform into a bag or cushion at home! Booking is essential by email - email@example.com.
Tai Chi is a very gentle form of exercise that uses the whole body and helps the mind to focus. It is slow as well as gentle and therefore suitable for almost everybody, improving posture, flexibility, breathing and general stamina. Ann Lee will be demonstrating Tai Chi exercises in the Sculpture Garden, and delivering a taster session to introduce you to this ancient form of therapy. Booking for the session is essential on 01652 660380.
Film Matinee: Boys Will Be Boys (1935) Thursday 19th September, 1.30pm – 3.00pm A free film screening in the northern section of this former ropery, now re-purposed as an arts centre. Will Hay stars as Dr. Alec Smart, an inept teacher who applies for the headship of a public school. Film Evening: School for Scoundrels (1960) Thursday 19th September, 7.30pm – 9.00pm A free film screening in the northern section of this former ropery, now re-purposed as an arts centre. Henry Palfrey tries hard to impress but always loses out to the rotter Delauney, until he discovers the College of Lifemanship in this British comedy. Inspired by the “Gamesmanship” series of books by Stephen Potter, the film stars Ian Carmichael, Terry Thomas and Alastair Sim.
St. Peter’s Church
St. Peter’s Church can trace its history back more than 1,000 years and is one of the most studied churches in England. The stone church visible today was first built in about 970, and has distinctive Saxon features. Around the time of the Domesday Book, the tower was heightened with a new belfry that survives today, whilst various phases of building continued over the next four centuries with notable features including the rare, early 14th century Crucifixion window above a side altar, and a series of carved portrait heads, grotesques and Green Men among lush foliage. By the mid-16th century, St. Peter’s had grown to six times the size of the original Saxon church. In 1819, St. Peter’s was the first building in England to be identified as Anglo-Saxon by Thomas Rickman, the historian who defined the various styles of Saxon, Norman and Gothic architecture. St. Peter’s became redundant in 1973, passing into public guardianship in 1978. From 1978 until 1984, a major programme of excavation and survey was instituted, exploring the church and its churchyard, which means that St. Peter’s is now the most intensively-studied and recorded parish church in the country. It is home to more than 2,800 burials dating from Anglo-Saxon to Victorian times, and remains from these burials (about a quarter of those estimated to lie here) have yielded important information on early medical practice, as well as the history of diseases such as arthritis.
St. Peter’s Church – an archaeological treasure trove - Open for Viewing Friday 13th – Sunday 15th, and Friday 20th – Sunday 22nd September, 10.00am – 3.00pm View the fascinating “Buried Lives” exhibition and reconstructed skeletons. Admission is free by kind permission of English Heritage. The Ossuary – expert talk Saturday 14th September, 11.00am – 12.00pm Saturday 21st September, 11.00am – 12.00pm Join the English Heritage curator for St. Peter’s Church to learn about the fascinating history of the Ossuary (bone store) where excavated skeletons have been placed, to leave them in consecrated ground close to their original location whilst still permitting future study. Booking is essential on 01652 660380. The Architecture of St. Peter’s Church – expert talk Sunday 15th September, 11.00am – 12.00pm Sunday 22nd September, 11.00am – 12.00pm Join local historian Geoff Bryant for a tour of St Peter’s Church - Barton’s greatest historical treasure and Britain’s most thoroughly-explored parish Church. In particular its Anglo-Saxon tower and baptistry, archaeologically researched in the 1980s, will be explored in great detail from the digging of its foundations to its completion and use for worship in the years around 1000AD. Booking is essential on 01652 660380.
Trinity Methodist Church
Records of a Wesleyan Society in Barton date back to 1760, when they were meeting at a house on King Street, and in 1788 land was purchased on Cottage Lane and a building erected. As the Society grew, the need for larger premises was identified, with land being purchased on the current site between Holydyke and Chapel Lane. The building opened in 1816 with only 46 members, and the Cottage Lane building was used as a school until 1825. By 1839, the number of members had increased to 200 with an additional 700 “hearers”, and so the Chapel was enlarged at a cost upwards of £1,500, with vestries, Sunday School rooms, classrooms and an organ installed. In late 1859, the Trustees decided that a rebuild was the only option as further enlargement was required. By May 1860, demolition was complete and the foundation stones were formally laid for the new building – only five months later the Chapel was ready to reopen, which was marked by the delivery of sermons by popular preachers in January 1861. The Trinity Methodist Church is not the only Wesleyan Chapel in the town. In 1868 a Chapel and Sunday School was built on Waterside Road and gifted to the Wesleyan Society, because of the need identified for that area of the town. Early records of Primitive Methodism appear to have been lost, but it is likely that this branch of Methodism was formed in the town around 1818. A chapel was built in Newport in 1838 and extended in 1844, resulting from the sale of an earlier building in King Street. A Primitive Methodist Chapel was built on Queen Street and opened in 1867 following the Methodist movement split – this new building was capable of holding 600 worshippers, and was designed by architect Joseph Wright of Hull. The 1932 Deed of Union bonded the Methodist traditions, and in 1960, local needs brought the three Barton Methodist Churches together as a single Society based at the current premises. The Church was redesignated as the Trinity Methodist Church to reflect the traditions of the three separate societies.
EVENT Coffee Morning and Guided Tours Saturday 14th September, 10.00am – 2.00pm Saturday 21st September, 10.00am – 2.00pm Coffee morning from 10.00am – 12.00pm, guided tours at 11.00am and 1.00pm. Visit Trinity Methodist Church to learn about Methodism historic and present, explore the building, view the special touring “Knitted Bible” exhibition plus scenes from the life of John Wesley, and view a sculpture of Christ made by famous Barton sculptor Philip Pape. Open Church and Guided Tours Sunday 15th September, 12.00pm – 4.00pm (Guided tours at 1.00pm & 3.00pm) Open Church and Celebratory Service Sunday 22nd September, 12.00pm – 3.00pm (service 3.00pm – 4.00pm) Special celebratory service at 3.00pm featuring children’s hymns and family activities.
EVENT The medieval timber-framed Tyrwhitt Hall – open for viewing Sunday 15th September, 1.30pm – 3.00pm
Tyrwhitt Hall is a Grade II-listed building, late medieval in origin and extended and altered in the 17th and 18th centuries and later, and is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Barton. Its north wing is a magnificent timber-framed open hall while the south wing, built of a combination of chalk, brick and heavy timber framing contains the chambers, or private rooms, used by the household. Tyrwhitt Hall is also connected to Philip Pape, a local sculptor, letterer, singer and choirmaster who lived and worked here between 1960 and 1982. During the 1960s, Pape was also a tutor at the Grimsby Art School. Several of his works can be seen in Barton, including a carved bust of Christ in the Trinity Methodist Church, and a carved notice board at the entrance to St. Mary’s Church.
A rare opportunity to view the medieval timber-framed Great Hall in one of Barton’s most historic buildings, associated with Barton sculptor, singer and choirmaster Philip Pape. The rest of the building is a private residence, and is closed to the public. The medieval timber-framed Tyrwhitt Hall – expert talk Sunday 15th September, 3.00pm - 4.00pm Local historian Richard Clarke will deliver a talk in the medieval timber-framed Great Hall, about the architecture and history of the building itself. The rest of the building is a private residence, and is closed to the public. Booking is essential on 01652 660380. The medieval timber-framed Tyrwhitt Hall – expert talk Sunday 22nd September, 1.30pm – 4.30pm (tours at 2.00pm, 2.45pm and 3.45pm) Historian Keith Miller will deliver a talk in the medieval timberframed Great Hall, and a short tour of the garden with its medieval fishpond. The rest of the building is a private residence, and is closed to the public. Booking is essential on 01652 660380.
United Reformed Church
The United Reformed Church, an Independent chapel and adjoining manse built in 1806, is the oldest surviving Independent chapel in Lincolnshire with its original seating intact, and a rare example nationally of a remarkably well-preserved non-conformist chapel of this period. Following a period of growth of dissenting congregations in Lincolnshire. The Barton Independents were the oldest dissenting congregation in the town, and in Lincolnshire the Independents grew from one or two congregations described as Presbyterian or Independent in the early 18th century, to having 38 places of worship by 1851. Their earliest recorded place of worship was a house in King Street and they met at several locations before the Providence Chapel, as it was then called, was established in 1806. The Independents were the first dissenting group in Barton to build a chapel and have a burial ground solely for their own use. In the grounds today, only two tombstones survive in situ, one of which bears an inscription to the Rev. John Winterbottom (the Chapelâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s second Pastor), his wife Ann, and their daughter Sarah Ann. During the ministry of James Hoyle from 1859-1864 the chapel was refurbished, involving the addition of the entrance porch, the re-slating of the roof, and the installation of the pulpit and communion rail. The extension for the organ chamber and vestry was built before 1887 when it is shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map, and the chapel windows were re-glazed in 1898. The Sunday School to the northeast of the chapel was built between 1865 and 1873 during a time when the Nonconformist and Anglican churches in the town were developing their Sunday and Day Schools. In 1972, the Barton Congregational Church was incorporated into the United Reformed Church which closed in 1991.
EVENT Behind the chapel doors Saturday 14th September, 11.00am - 3.00pm Sunday 15th September, 11.00am - 3.00pm Saturday 21st September, 11.00am - 3.00pm Sunday 22nd September, 11.00am - 3.00pm Come and explore the oldest surviving independent chapel in Lincolnshire, built in 1806 and awarded Grade II* listed status in 2017 for its recognition as a significant national treasure. Now part of a private residence, view the chapel and part of the adjoining manse and grounds, and speak to the owners about their plans to transform the building into a museum.
EVENT Waters’ Edge Visitor Centre
Between the early 19th century and mid-20th century, the site on which Waters’ Edge stands was quarried for brick and tile clay. In 1955, the last brick works were demolished, although the clay quarries to the south of the brick works are still in existence today. The remains of a number of the quarries can be seen in the form of freshwater reedbeds. The quarries located to the west of the works were filled in and later built upon. Other industries associated with the area and the site before 1874 include rope making, malt kilns and fertiliser production. By the 1950s a large factory was well-established on the site making fertilisers from animal waste. The process had advanced and the factory was an established chemical plant with facilities to make acids, but unfortunately these fertiliser materials and the associated chemicals contaminated the site. North Lincolnshire Council inherited the site from Glanford Borough Council in 1996 and work soon began to convert the site to a country park. The old contaminated soil was stripped back layer by layer and moved in convoys of lorries off-site and buried in a secure site. The ponds were excavated and local topsoil from the nearby Far Ings National Nature Reserve was brought in. Thousands of reeds were hand-planted along the banks of the ponds, and an area of native woodland was created with the first part of the country park opening to the public in 2003. In 2006 an innovative, sustainable Visitor Centre was opened on the site to house the Tourist Information Centre, café and a hub for local businesses.
Natural discovery at Waters’ Edge Saturday 14th September, 11.00am – 3.00pm Join us for a variety of activities including pond dipping, a hunt for creepy crawlies, and a nature trail around the ponds and woodland. Meet the Bats! Saturday 14th 1.00pm – 2.00pm
Join Julie Ellison from the Lincolnshire Bat Group for an informative talk about the bats of Lincolnshire, learn about these elusive, nocturnal creatures and see them up-close! Booking is essential on 01652 660380.
Wilderspin National School Museum Samuel Wilderspin (1791 â&#x20AC;&#x201C; 1866), one of the founding members of modern schooling, had a profound impact on educational practice and the design and furnishing of schools and their grounds. He specialised in the youngest age group, from 18 months to seven years, and was especially concerned with education for the poor. He became best-known for his pioneering work on infant schools, but his innovations gradually transformed schooling for children of all ages.
After many years spent travelling and promoting infant schooling throughout Britain and Ireland, Wilderspin moved to Barton and created his own model infant school on Queen Street which was built in 1844. He was the first superintendent of the infant school and taught here with his wife and daughter as well as training teachers and nursery governesses, and using it as a base for his promotion of enlightened education throughout Britain
The school, a Grade II*-listed building, closed in 1978 and fell into disrepair. Restoration of the school was completed in 2009, and it now stands as a celebration of the life and work of Samuel Wilderspin. Wilderspin National School Museum is the only place in the world where a Wilderspin school building and playground survive, making it a place of national and international importance.
Heritage Printing drop-in with ST-ART Saturday 21st September, 10.00am â&#x20AC;&#x201C; 1.00pm Young people of all ages can drop in and learn traditional printing techniques, using inspiration and materials from the Museum to create your own printed card or picture to take home.
For more information about Barton upon Humber, pick up a Town Walk leaflet. Produced by Barton Civic Society, The Georgian, Victorian and Waterside Walk guides are available for free at The Ropewalk, Waterâ&#x20AC;&#x2122;s Edge Visitor Centre and Wilderspin National School Museum. Or download the Hidden History Barton Smartphone app hiddenhistory.org.uk/barton
Venue Contact Details 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15.
Applegate House Bardney Hall Barton Cemetery Barton Haven Shipyard Baysgarth House Museum Far Ings National Nature Reserve Humber Bridge Joseph Wright Hall/Wilderspin National School Museum The Ropewalk/Ropery Hall St. Peter’s Church The Old Tile Works Trinity Methodist Church Tyrwhitt Hall United Reformed Church Waters’ Edge Visitor Centre
50 Holydyke, DN18 5PP Whitecross Street, DN18 5DF Barrow Road, DN18 6DA Waterside Road, DN18 5BD Baysgarth Park, Caistor Road, DN18 6AH Far Ings Road, DN18 6AH Ferriby Road, Hessle, HU13 0JG Queen Street, DN18 5QP Maltkiln Road, DN18 5JT Beck Hill, DN18 5EX Far Ings Road, DN18 5RF Holydyke, DN18 5PS Beck Hill, DN19 5EY Chapel Lane, DN18 5PJ Maltkiln Road, DN18 5JR
Discover Barton’s Hidden History With the smartphone app
Guided circular walks, photos, videos and information to bring the history of Barton upon Humber to life!
scan the QR code to download the app or visit: hiddenhistory.org.uk/barton or search “Hidden History Barton” in your app store
VISIT BARTON UPON HUMBER Attractions | Events | Where to eat | Where to stay | Local news
Your official online guide
www.barton-upon-humber.org.uk BARTON TOURISM PARTNERSHIP Barton Town Council
Education in Barton
No-one contributed more to our understanding of the history of education in Barton than local historian Rex Russell (1916-2014). Much of what follows is attributable to his research of schooling in nineteenth century Lincolnshire. During the early part of Queen Victoria’s reign the employment and working conditions of children in mines, factories and farms were a major concern. In Barton many families and employers relied upon children to work in the home, on the farm, in the rope factory and in the brick and tile yards. Even when children attended the early Barton Schools their Log Books record many absences at harvest time revealing this ongoing problem. The changes in Barton during the 1800s reflected national trends. The population was expanding, more and more people were living in towns and cities, and new types of work were emerging in an increasingly industrial age. The nineteenth century was also a significant period of religious and educational change in Britain. Educational provision for children expanded rapidly and different systems of schooling developed.
Robert Raikes (above) and Thomas Stock set in motion the Sunday School Movement from the late 1700s and by 1800, 200 000 children were enrolled in English Sunday schools, rising to two million by 1850.
The population of England and Wales more than trebled during the nineteenth century – a trend mirrored in Barton where the population reached 5,761 by 1901. By 1851, just under half of this fast growing population was under 20 years of age. Educational provision desperately needed to catch up, and both Church and Chapel vied with each other to provide this. The huge expansion of local Methodism spurred on the Church of England to set up schools to counter this challenge. Sunday schools were easier to set up and cheaper to run than Day Schools and by 1856 there were over 500 Sunday Scholars in Barton. During the first half of the nineteenth century the only schooling most working class children received was at Sunday School. They had become well established in Barton and there was great rivalry between the Sunday schools of Church and Chapel. By the 1850s the bulk of Barton’s Sunday scholars attended schools run by the Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists and the Congregationalists. The Church of England catered for around twenty per cent of Sunday scholars. The curriculum emphasised reading and writing, some arithmetic, and religious learning. Day Schools were an alternative but were more difficult and costly to set up and run than Sunday Schools. As Day Schools charged a fee, unlike the
Arithmetic lesson (1920s) in the schoolyard at St. Chad’s Church School. Acknowledgement: Winn Readhead (Wilderspin National School Museum)
Sunday Schools which were free, they catered for a minority of children in the town. A number of these private schools were listed as “Academies” in various trade directories, but little else is known about them. The quality of education must have been of varying quality. Some were known as Dame Schools and were of dubious quality, providing basic child minding services at best. William Long’s Charity School was established in 1722 and provided some free places for the poor. Children from three years old were taught reading, writing and arithmetic in addition to scripture studies. Various rented rooms were used, including part of the Wheatsheaf Inn, but from 1831 the School had permanent premises built on New Road (Queen Street). Isaac Pitman, inventor of the shorthand system, was the Master for four years. It was a “British School” adopting the mutual or British system connected to the British and Foreign School Society founded in 1814. Numerous ‘Superior Academies’ or Seminaries were common throughout the town. In addition to English, writing and mathematics, the schools offered French, Latin, music, dance and drawing. These were small, lucrative, fee-paying schools for young ladies and gentlemen of the middle classes and so avoided the challenges faced by schools for the working class poor. Following closure of the Long’s British School in 1842 the Church and Chapels, which hitherto had worked in collaboration to provide Sunday Schools for the poor, began preparations for Day Schools independently of each other. Shortly after the ceremony to lay the foundation stone for a new National (Church) School on Queen Street in September 1844 moves began to create a new Wesleyan Methodist School on Holydyke.
St. Chad’s School on Waterside Road was Barton’s second Church of England school and operated between 1904 and 1960.
The mid 1800s was a significant period of educational expansion and school design. Two systems dominated the scene nationally and here in Barton. Both were monitorial or mutual – involving older children to teach younger pupils. The British system was developed by Joseph Lancaster and promoted by the Royal Lancastarian Society from 1808. Crucially, the schools were non-denominational. Teaching was designed to cope with hundreds of boys or girls at a time in a large schoolroom supervised by a single Master or Mistress assisted by older pupils or monitors. In 1839 we know that Long’s British School on Queen Street catered for around one hundred pupils. The new Church School was part of the ‘national system’ promoted by the National Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of
the Established Church. Founded in 1811, the Society aimed to build an elementary school in every parish and began its work in Lincolnshire in 1812. It adopted another monitorial system developed by Alexander Bell, and of course, the religious teaching was that of the Church of England. The need for such a school in Barton was highlighted by the Curate: “Hundreds of poor children are wandering about in idleness without education or employment.” The School opened in 1845 for 300 boys and girls, and 100 infants but within months had to be enlarged to accommodate a further 50 infants. Gradually, the fashion of creating smaller classrooms was adopted, by subdividing the large schoolrooms with glazed wooden screens. The first Superintendent of the Infant’s School was Samuel Wilderspin who also trained teachers in the School. This was towards the end of Wilderspin’s career as an Infant Educator and was the opportunity for him to create a purpose-built Model Infant School that encompassed his system of infant teaching. The system valued the importance of learning through play and the Barton School featured a playground with flower beds much larger than the yard for older children. Wilderspin had spent the previous twenty years travelling throughout the British Isles promoting Infant education and setting up schools. His interest in infant education began with his involvement in England’s first Infant School opened at Westminster in 1819. It was here that he met James Buchanan, the teacher from the world’s first Infant School at Robert Owen’s mill complex at New Lanark. Not long after the opening of the Church (National) School a Methodist Day School was set up above the Vestry at the Wesleyan Chapel on Holydyke. Funds had to be raised from donations and activities like bazaars, sermons and lectures. The School took children between 6 and 14 years old. Further expansion and rebuilding followed but in 1867 the Chapel required more space so the School was relocated to a new school building on Maltby Lane where it remained until a larger school was built on Castledyke in 1914 by Lindsey County Council, bringing to an end the last direct link between Chapel and School. Two Church Schools remained: the one on Queen Street and another, St. Chad’s Day School, opened on Waterside in 1904 for around 100 children aged five to fourteen. Various Acts of Parliament throughout the nineteenth century improved the lives of children of the poor – more children received an education and the employment of children was gradually phased out. If more proof was needed that better schooling brought wider benefits to society (and many doubted or even feared the effects of educating the children of the poor) then Rex Russell points to improvements in literacy to demonstrate the effectiveness of educational advances. The Marriage Registers are
The Log Books of each of Barton’s schools record the impact of the First and Second World Wars on school life including the Zeppelin raids on the Humber during the First World War and the Hull Blitz during the Second World War. Pupils got involved in all sorts of home-front support including knitting socks for troops, savings schemes and helping with shortages. Boys from St. Chad’s Church School (above) show off vegetables they had grown to help cope with food shortages during the Second World War. During the Second World War each of the schools took in evacuees from Hull. Acknowledgement: Nora Thompson (Wilderspin National School Museum)
KEY DATES 1870 The Education Act requires the establishment of nondenominational elementary schools - for children aged five to thirteen – managed by locally elected School Boards. 1880 Attendance is made compulsory until the age of 10. The average attendance was around 90 per cent. Twenty years before, ninety per cent of children in this age group were not in school. 1891 Elementary education effectively becomes free. 1893 Eleven became the school leaving age and the minimum age at which a child could work in a factory. 1899 School leaving age raised to twelve. 1918 Leaving age is raised to 14. 1944 Education Act (“Butler Act”) introduces selection by 11+ exam for Grammar, Secondary Modern and Technical schools. Secondary education free to all. School leaving age rose to 15. 1973 Education Act raised the school leaving age to 16. 1976 Education Act that attempted to make Comprehensive schooling compulsory. 1988 Education Act introduced the National Curriculum 1995 Tests (SATs) introduced for children aged 7. 11 and 14. 1997 National Literacy Strategy introduced. 2002 City Academies introduced designed to improve inner city education with involvement of private funding.
testimony to the change from a semi-literate population at the beginning of the nineteenth century; almost 60% of brides and a quarter of bridegrooms signed their names with a cross only in the early 1800s. Mid century 35% of brides and 17% of bridegrooms could not sign their names in the Marriage Register. And by the end of the century only 8% of brides and 8% of bridegrooms were illiterate. Until 1918, children completed their schooling at one of Barton’s three public elementary schools until they were twelve years old. The school leaving age was then raised to fourteen and most pupils would go off to work. Further education was only available in Brigg and further afield. There had been a private ‘Grammar School’ of sorts for young gentlemen at the Barton Vicarage between 1820-28, but Barton’s own Grammar School proper didn’t open until 1931. The first intake was 62 boys and girls from the town and surrounding villages who had successfully passed the scholarship entry exam at the age of eleven. From 1957 pupils over eleven transferred from the Church and Council Schools to the Grammar School or the new Beretun Secondary Modern School. Changing industry and population on Waterside diminished the need for a separate Primary School so St. Chad’s Church School closed in 1960 and Waterside children attended the Church School on Queen Street or the Council School on Castledyke. In 1975 the Grammar and Secondary Modern schools merged to form the Baysgarth Comprehensive School. The remaining Church School on Queen Street closed in 1978 when two new Primary Schools were opened: Bowmandale and Barton St. Peter’s Church of England Schools. The School of Our Lady of the Snow and St. Oswald was a Roman Catholic Day and Boarding school for 4 -14 year olds based in Bardney Hall. Private schools operated from New Hall (Wressell’s School) in the 1920s-40s, and Mrs Cooper’s School operated on Burgate in the 1920s. Other buildings in the town have been used by Barton schools when there were shortages of space. Providence House was used by Castledyke School after the Second World War. Baysgarth House was used by the Grammar School and the Liberal Club building and Assembly Rooms on Queen Street were used at times by the Queen Street Church School. More detailed information about education in Barton is included in Rex Russell’s book, Great Changes in Barton 1793-1900 (2002) and Barton on Humber in the 1850s – Cradle to the Grave (1984) published by the Barton on Humber Branch of the Workers’ Education Association. During this year’s Heritage Open Days Festival there is another opportunity to discover more about Rex Russell’s work in this field and the history of Barton’s schools in exhibitions at Barton at Baysgarth House Museum.