Page 1





IN THIS ISSUE We celebrate TS Royalist’s last 12 months of service.

ON PAGE 3 Commodore’s Welcome 2015

ON PAGE 12-13 ON PAGE 20 Messages from Sea Membership and Cadets across the UK Bursary News


The Committee President

In this issue

Commodore Roger Parker RN



Commodore’s Welcome

Hugh Illingworth


The Love I Feel Royalist Adieu

Vice Commodore


John MacDonald

The final TS Royalist Charter in 2014 for the Square Rigger Club by Tom Wareham

Hon. Secretary

The SRC Adult May Charter took place over the bank holiday weekend (3-6 May 14) by Sam Smith (Charter Secretary)

Emma Coakley

Hon. Treasurer John MacDonald

Charter Secretary



The Penultimate Charter

I remember it well...

Rosemary Mudie takes us back through time, to when Royalist was, but, a dream...


Ships of the Royal Navy bearing the name ‘ROYALIST’

Sam Smith Tel: 07708 038971

Ending several months of speculation the announcement that the new ship is to continue with the name of TS Royalist has been greeted with much enthusiasm. There has been a fine line of ships bearing the name HMS Royalist within the Royal Navy and the Sea Cadets are proud to continue the association, which initially is recorded as starting from 1796.

Bursary Secretary


The Naming and Commisioning of TS Royalist.

Richard Weston


Hon. Treasurers Report.

Membership Secretary


Bursary Secretary’s Report.

Alex Coakley


Welcome Aboard

Newsletter Editor

Back Cover

AGM Advert

James Thompson

Committee Members Andy Krasun Gordon Hartsthorne Irene Munday Rosey Skeffington

Ex Officio Cdr (SCC) Jeremy Bearne Offshore Commander Marine Society and Sea Cadets

Editorial Assistance Rosey Skeffington Irene Munday

Content Submission Do you have an article you think our members may be interested in? Are your albums full of interesting photos that you would like to share? Email them to the Editor and they could feature in our next newsletter!


Here is the first opportunity to sail the magnificent new TS ROYALIST with the Square Rigger Club Charity!

If you have enjoyed sailing the old ship - or have never sailed a square rigger - and would like to, there are still a few remaining berths. South Coast Charter 12th - 18th September 2015 Contact the Charter Secretary, Sam Smith E: T: 07708 038971 or book on line:


Commodore’s Welcome Dear Square Riggers A momentous year for the Square Rigger Club Charity! Who could have envisaged that that TS Royalist, the vessel which has influenced our lives in so many ways has come to the end of her working life with the Sea Cadet Corps. Each one of us has loved and admired the ship for lots of reasons - the many life enhancing experiences for young people or the influence she had on us personally. Maybe you sailed on her as a young person, maybe you sailed on her as crew or Afterguard - maybe you just recognise the benefit of young people spending a week at sea in such a challenging environment. Sadly, the ship was decommissioned in November 2014 to be replaced by the new ship in June this year. We must of course look forward, but just for a moment let us think how much TS Royalist has influenced our adult lives over forty three and more years – from its creation with Morin Scott at the helm to its many years of service. For us adults, TS Royalist has, apart from the challenging and fun SRCC charters, given so many of us personal and great sentimental affection, for our Ship. For some families, TS Royalist has played its part for engagements, christenings, weddings as well as

Square Rigger Club Charity will provide the same unstinting support. the scattering of ashes. Whatever the memories we may have we must also consider the wonderful impact that the ship has had on so many young people. We move on but with much gratitude for the old ship. So, into the future, the new ship will be in service in Summer 2015, also named TS Royalist and the Square Rigger Club Charity will provide the same unstinting support. The legacy continues and we all wish the new TS Royalist equal success in the future. You will see that we have one introductory charter this year from 12th -18th September. The schedule has been revised from the one previously advised and is due to start and finish on the South Coast. At this moment there are still a few available berths. Please note also that there will be an opportunity to visit the new ship when we hold our annual AGM at Weymouth on Saturday 17th October - a note for your diary! Best wishes

Hugh Illingworth Commodore Square Rigger Club Charity



The Love I Feel The love I feel for such a ship Is a love that will never fade It stems right back to my very first trip A journey I’m so glad I made I was nervous at first But it didn’t last for long My excitement had burst I knew I would belong While on board, you’re in a bubble With happiness, joy and lots of smiles You get away from the world and it’s troubles And sail along for miles and miles She gives people a sense of hope When times may be quite hard All you need are some lines of rope And the all important watch card The crew on board are all so great With them around, no second’s a bore They’ll think about the sea and it’s state They’ll help you learn and explore She’s given people memories of a lifetime Over 30,000 people she has served Whether it’s taking the helm or completing a climb A well done is well deserved Although we’re losing such pure beauty The memories shall never die She’s done us proud, she’s served her duty And now it’s time to say goodbye We’ve had our fun we’ve had our games She had her life she’s got her story We’ve done a lot we’ve achieved our aims May her name remain forevermore in glory The love I will feel for our new ship Is a love that will never fade It will stem right from my very fist trip A journey I’ll be so glad I made

Written by PPO (SCC) Amy Bales, Chiswick Sea Cadet Unit following her inspirational trips onboard over the years.





Royalist Adieu

The final TS Royalist Charter in 2014 for the Square Rigger Club by Tom Wareham

Those of you who are old hands will know that feeling – the first time you step on board again after a year (or maybe two or three) - the feeling under your feet as you step down onto the deck, the feel of the well-worn ropes against your palms, the warm breath of the forward hatch, the fragrance of the engines, the soft hum of the generators – and the quietness of the ship as she waits to come alive again. And it was all there as usual as we boarded at Ramsgate for our final voyage on the old Royalist. Under instructions to be on board by mid-day, some of us struggled to figure out exactly which pontoon the ship was lying on in the town’s Royal Harbour, and there was some good-humoured redirecting of patient taxi drivers as we followed each other from one gate to another; but gradually we all assembled on deck. The plan had been to set sail the same day, but the tides were against us, so we spent the first few hours running through the usual admin and safety work, then moved the ship out of the marina to the slightly more dubious pleasures of a commercial deep-water terminal for the night, preparatory to making an early start for France the next morning. A few moments were spent pondering the benefits of the longer stroll back into Ramsgate for the evening, but since no-one knew the way out through the abandoned sheds and rusty scrap of the terminal, we settled in for a fairly quiet drink on board, followed by the inevitably variable quality of the first night’s sleep. Early next morning we slipped from our berth and began to motor across to Boulogne. Although there was little wind there was the compensation of an unexpectedly bright September day. Part way through the morning we were witness to a fierce and deadly struggle just off the starboard side. A sparrowhawk had spotted a solitary finch on its migration passage across the Channel, and there was a desperate flurry of wings as the little bird dived and twisted, span and climbed to evade the grasping talons of the predator as it tried to strike again and again. Clearly tiring, the weary little bird suddenly made a neat side slip inside Royalist’s ratlines to find sanctuary in the radar netting. Panting painfully it gave several high pitched cheeps while the bigger bird cruised furiously round the masts for several long minutes before giving up and soaring away. Later in the afternoon a light breeze sprang up and we put in some sail-setting practice before motoring into Boulogne, passing 6    SQUARE RIGGER CLUB CHARITY - SUMMER 2015

the somewhat lugubrious apartment blocks which stand on either side of the narrow port. Having tied-up we were keen to make use of the marina’s facilities but, unfortunately, the official with the only key had gone off to operate the inner-basin lock gates. So a happy hour was spent by some of the crew on the sunlit balcony of the marina bar, sampling some deliciously chilled glasses of bière. A good shower, a quick meal on board, and then the rest of the evening was our own, either to seek out the pleasures of Boulogne or, yes – you may have guessed it – to spend a few more hours admiring our dear old ship from the convenient balcony of the marina bar! Somewhat later that night there was an assembly in the cockpit on board where – courtesy of Captain Roy and his guitar – there was an enthusiastic rendering of some popular sea shanties, in the singing of which we were possibly joined by the residents of the flats adjacent to the marina … at least we think they were trying to join in! Early next morning, with a pre-dawn sky greeting a few sore heads, we slipped after a last minute delay while a shore party sought out freshly baked croissants and baguettes. Leaving at 06.35 French time, our destination was now the port of Dieppe. The day brought us a little more of a breeze so we put in some gentle sailing while the as-usual partly-experienced crew were flogged into position by the Bosun (Alex the Cruel) and we began the traditional exercises. You know the sort of thing - the inevitable brace to port, brace to starboard, bracing square, handsomely, roundly, roundly, handsomely, mast against mast, heaving-to, man/woman/soggy-rubberiseddummy overboard – sort of thing. Just the thing to toughen up those callouses and remind you that you had really meant to clip those finger nails before leaving home. Later in the day we rolled down the coast past nuclear power stations and windmills and uncertain small French coastal resorts which looked vaguely deserted, to reach Dieppe in the afternoon sunshine. That evening, following showers on shore and beginning to feel weariness bearing down on us, we found time for a quick drink in one of the port-side bars before seeking the dubious comforts of the ship’s bunks. Rest was shattered in the early hours by the sudden shriek of the compressor alarm. Fearing the worst in our semiconscious state, we grabbed clothing and shoes – anyone’s – and scrambled out onto the pontoon in varying degrees of nakedness. It was only after most of us had been standing there for several minutes that it was realised that the alarm was not in fact the fire alarm and


did not actually require us to abandon ship. Furthermore, the alarm had only sounded on the messdeck, so the Afterguard were happily still snoring away in their bunks! An apologetic looking engineer (Chris) gave us the good news, and rather sheepishly we returned to our much needed sleep. Tuesday woke us to a pallid morning with thin cloud and misty air. A terrific tidal drop had exposed twenty or thirty foot harbour basin walls encrusted with shellfish which, the previous night had exuded an almost primeval air of mud, water and weed. Since we weren’t due to depart until 13.00 we had time for the luxury of a morning shower. Most of us followed this with an easy amble around the town, quaffing coffee and pain chocolat, and wondering at the alarmingly crumbling cathedral and the different monuments to local history, e.g. the 700 young maids who were sent to colonise Quebec, the heroic Admiral Duquesne (second-in-command of the French Squadron at the Battle of Solebay in 1672), and the disaster of the Dieppe Raid of 1942. Then, just before a very welcome lunch of fresh fromage and salad, we had a surprise visit from the local customs service who promptly ordered everyone onto the pontoon while they checked our papers and an armed boarding party searched the ship - very thoroughly, as we later discovered. Sadly three of the crew had to depart at Dieppe and two, Mark and Debbie, waved us off from the harbour wall as we slipped our lines, backed the staysail and set the topsails to glide majestically out of the harbour with ‘La Marseillaise’ blaring loudly from the ship’s speakers. (Ironic really as the Marseillaise was originally written as a battle song for the French

agreed to load on more sail and we added the fore and afts to the aforementioned sails. Finally we hauled taught, gave a communal sigh of pleasure, and watched as the wind dropped and dropped, and finally died. Consoling ourselves with a cup of tea, we eventually furled sail and starting the engines made a SECOND exit from Dieppe! Plans for a romantic night passage down the French coast were thus frustrated by a fickle and contrary wind that plagued us all week. Nevertheless we went into a two-hour watch routine and motored our way into a sunset that would have driven Turner demented with early impressionist envy if he hadn’t already slipped into a private world of his own. Turner aside, cameras and mobile phones proliferated suddenly as we watched, transfixed, as blues faded to pinks, and clouds transformed from grey feathers to purple sky-surf. Then a crystal night sky swept in and the watches joined the afterguard in a spot of star gazing. (I mustn’t get too carried away here…a certain amount of time was also spent dodging ferries, fishing boats and buoys as they cast their own

tetchily and warblers and robins sang from the canal side shrubbery Our destination was the Pegasus Bridge, a site of huge significance during WWII, for it was here that British glider troops landed to seize a vital bridge just hours before the landings on the Normandy beaches in 1944. Before we dispersed to pay our respects though, there was the small task of a thorough harbour stow courtesy of the Sailing Master. So having tied-up a stones’ throw from the bridge, willing climbers donned the (newish-design) harnesses and once again clambered aloft to do our duty. Actually, although the first climb and yard-hug of a trip is the worst – it always gets easier: at least that is what I always tell myself! An hour later we were back on deck admiring what really was one of the neatest harbour stows I have seen – and so we went to celebrate the occasion with a very welcome chilled beer and platter of the finest local fromage, at the famous little café by the bridge. Madam – the proprietor – was apparently present there as a child at the time of the liberation, and perhaps because of this she has always had a soft spot for Royalist, so a warm welcome is always there. (We also noticed a Royalist baseball cap lodged among the liberation-related memorabilia that festoons every wall and surface of the place). Then, well refreshed we strolled to the nearby Pegasus Bridge museum, where the original wartime bridge has been installed as a memorial. Predictably the museum was populated with displays of weapons and uniforms, and photos of the participants of the glider and paratrooper landings. There was no mention of the German troops who served and were killed here, but

we slipped our lines, backed the staysail and set the topsails to glide majestically out of the harbour Revolutionary army in 1792.) Being of a piratical bent by now, some of the crew were for a full broadside of ‘Rule Britannia’, but Captain Roy was not keen to encourage another visit from les douanes, so we belayed that impulse. Then, clearing the harbour, yardsmen scrambled aloft to loose topgallants and forecourse, and we put to sea with warm sun burning through the cloud to bathe the deck with a soft glow. Then – yielding to persuasion – the captain

illuminations towards us across the water.) Motoring all night is no friend to sleep and morning arrived with varying degrees of refreshment for us all. When dawn broke we were approaching Caen with its deep entrance lock into the Caen canal, and there followed a magical glide as the sun rose, through misted morning meadows, silent cows and shivering alders, while ducks and moorhens complained

that is perhaps understandable. Behind it all, however, was a quiet sadness as though the very landscape had absorbed a sense of tragedy. I was struck, for example, by the display of a very corroded bren gun that had only recently been discovered in a nearby swamp, where it had fallen from the grip of a British soldier who had drowned there after leaving his glider. Thus the



landscape still retains and only reluctantly relinquishes the relics of that night seventy years before. Enough! Back to the ship and time to set up the evening barbecue. By the time the fire was lit, darkness had fallen along the

canal, and then slowly, like the wary spectres of condemned sea rovers, a desperate band of pirates and their molls emerged from the shadows. And thence began an evening of such debauchery and spoliation that, dear reader, my pen blushes to relate and my very soul shivers to remember. Of this I may not give you detail more, lest by innocent word and phrase I offend thy delicate eye, chasten thy moral sensibility and condemn thee to the very pit of purgatory along with all that scurvy crew. But let it here be recorded, that at ye height of ye proceedings, their Captain Roy emerged from the sulphurous smoke in his true manifestation as ye fearsome and mighty Blackbeard, and all they were humbled and afeard ‘til he bad them eat of the chicken and drink of the ruby wines, and they did cheer and fall to with good heart ‘til ye moon did sing her goodnight. And then t’was back to ye ship for a night of wild yarns and merriment on the messdeck. In the slight mist of the following dawn we emerged on to a dampened deck, somewhat chastened and less piratical, to be sure, with heads that boomed with broadsides and ached with the thunder of loose roundshot. So we slipped from our berth to make our way out through the canal and back up the coast to our final destination, the beautiful little port of Honfleur. The passage plan was to arrive there at 15.30 in time for free flow – the entrance for the port involving a tricky little manoeuvre which benefits from slack tide. Much refreshed by our cook Dinah’s excellent lunch - which like many of the meals on this trip, took full advantage of the al fresco opportunities offered by the surprisingly clement weather - we enjoyed an excellent passage, and began stowing our dunnage so as to be ready to make the dash back to Ouistreham for our ferry back to the UK. Arriving at Honfleur we stood on the deck gazing at the delightful little town with its quaint old Normandy buildings and churches tumbling their way down to crowd around the neat inner basin. We had hoped for time to explore, but an error by the 8    SQUARE RIGGER CLUB CHARITY - SUMMER 2015

harbourmaster resulted in us having to shift our berth as soon as we had landed our lines, resulting in much lost time. Even then, to disembark, all hands and baggage had to reach a quayside some 15’ above the ship’s deck. Sadly, time was not on our side on this occasion, and under growing pressure – and I confess somewhat emotionally – we thanked the fantastic members of the afterguard and bade adieu to our faithful old ship before rushing for the buses and the back-to-earth overnight ferry to Portsmouth. I cannot pass without expressing our joint gratitude to the Afterguard (Roy, Jethro, Chris, John, Dinah, Andy, Alex, Mark, and Charlie) who as always shepherded us throughout the week, informed, amused and befriended us. And I also, and in particular, acknowledge the very special contribution of Hugh, Rosey and Miles, without whom we would still either be standing at an obscure French bus stop looking thoroughly lost, or arguing with maddening French officialdom! Every Royalist trip is different. Some are more challenging than others, and each of them has its highlights as well as its disappointments. But every trip brings that rediscovered joy of overcoming self-doubt, of finding new friends and messmates, as well as greeting old crewmates. This trip was no exception – nor I hope will any future trip – but there will be one old friend who will not be there with us. So as we bid a very fond farewell to our faithful old barky, we can also look forward to her reincarnation as the new, bright and ready Royalist (II), eager as ever for a fair wind and a willing crew.


The Penultimate Charter The SRC Adult May Charter took place over the bank holiday weekend (3-6 May 14) by Sam Smith (Charter Secretary) Thankfully - due to the great skill of the Coxswain the two swimmers were retrieved from their jolly in the sea, and brought back on board for some TLC. Unfortunately their cameras were a write off! Under observation the two patients were monitored down below whilst the remainder crew sailed the ship to Cowes. The monday evening we attended a pub in Cowes for a lovely meal and optional Pirate night! Thankfully our two MOB’s arrived at

The SRC Adult May Charter took place over the bank holiday weekend (3-6 May 14). We were joined by a total of 18 Crew plus the Charter Secretary in a ratio of 15 male/4 female. After conducting safety briefings and round robins and up and overs on the saturday (which went very well) The Royalist set sail for a very short passage across the harbour to Gunwharf Quay where the pirates (I mean crew) were let loose for a bit of shopping and drinking (I meant shore leave!). After a quick breakfast Royalist set sail on the Sunday for Poole. A good day’s sailing was had by all as the crew learned the ‘ropes’ and got to grips with their watches and how the mess duty worked. During the evening we were moored alongside in Poole quay and Royalist was floodlit (in order to attract some more budding SRC members! and show off how lovely she looked). After dinner - shore leave was granted again (lucky crew this lot!) and most people frequented the Portsmouth Hoy for a tot or two of rum! On Monday we had to wait for the tide (so that we did not risk catching the protruding bow sprit or the stern davits where the RIB is hoisted) so it was a late start.

the pub later to join us for a drink and meal! so all came good in the end and the whole ordeal was the topic of conversation all evening. After the overnight stay in Cowes, we set sail on the Tuesday bound for Royalist’s home - Gosport. A good day of sailing was had by all. Whilst the crew conducted a meeting about the MOB situation - the rest of the crew led by myself undertook a clean of the ship!

There was a lot of activity for example sail lowering, stopping Royalist, coastguard calls and the emergency procedures kicked in!

Royalist slipped at appox 10am and began her voyage to Cowes when we managed to get nearly all the sails up and a photo opportunity emerged for 4 eager crewmates to disembark on the RIB with the Coxwain with their cameras in hand. During this photo opportunity two crew members decided to instigate a MOB exercise (Unplanned!!) and for about 3 minutes there was a lot of activity for example sail lowering, stopping Royalist, coastguard calls and emergency procedures kicked in!

At approximately 5pm I waved goodbye to 18 happy Charter attendees all wanting to sign up again for a trip on ROYALIST! Plenty of positive feedback has been received through the SRCC charter sec email. Some rating the whole expereience as fantastic! even one of the MOB who volunteered to do it again in Sept! (True to his word he did!)



I remember it well...

Rosemary Mudie takes us back through time, to when Royalist was, but, a dream...

Morin Scott, then National Offshore Sail Training Officer of the Sea Cadet Corps and an old friend, came to see us in 1967, when our drawing office and home were still in London. He had an idea for a brig for the Sea Cadets small enough to enable youngsters from 13½ years old to sail in a square rigger. At that time most sail trainees were aged from sixteen, but he told us that special permission had been given to the SCC in the 1920s to allow them to take 13½ year olds afloat. Could Colin do a sketch of a little brig for him? Colin did and produced a General Arrangement Drawing. What happened after that is well known, and on Trafalgar Day 1970 Morin’s wife Veronica (Vicki) used a welding torch to perform the keel laying ceremony at the Groves & Guttridge Cowes boatyard. On schedule, the brig was launched in 1971, the masts and spars rigged alongside, with help among others from Morin’s son Frank, then a youngster. She was named Royalist by H.R.H. Princess Anne on 3rd August, in Cowes Week. The story goes, perhaps apocryphal, that when Royalist first sailed out of Cowes Princess Anne ran to the stern of the Royal Yacht Britannia calling out to her family to come and wave to “my ship”. There are many other stories about Royalist’s history. She was built under Lloyd’s survey and we were all very pleased when she was given the 1971 Lloyd’s Register of Shipping Award for best design and construction. The whole design and build process had been well organised; the committee which ran the project was an unusually good one – so much so that we had a celebratory dinner at H.M.S. Excellent, traditional silver on the table, and were each given a delightful silver souvenir ashtray on which were signatures of all the team: Major General Thomas, Cdr. A.S.C. Armitage, Morin Scott, Colin Mudie, Ken Downer, Lt Cdr Ivor Hutcheson. Around the edge it says: “The Object was achieved – On Time – Within the Budget” and “LLOYD’S AWARD 1971”. 10    SQUARE RIGGER CLUB CHARITY - SUMMER 2015

Colin has a chapter with further detail in his ‘Colin Mudie Sailing Ships’ book published in 2000. He tells of the great support given by the owners of the G&G yard and the people who worked there, as well as how Uffa Fox, then not terribly mobile, was driven up in his motor launch to see Royalist go into the water. There was also a great deal of support from sea cadets around the UK and from other fundraisers. Colin and I never forget a farewell dinner given us by clients, who had become friends, in South Africa; they asked if we had any projects involving the sea and/or education. An uncle had recently died and they were trustees aiming to allocate the funds. When we returned home we arranged for another trustee to experience a Sunday Sea Day aboard Royalist. This has always been a prime illustration of what sail training and the SCC is about and the result was that the Meaker Trust gave Royalist financial support; they had a sensible way of releasing funds by selling shares when the market was good, rather than selling off everything at one go, and passed on the money from time to time (as will surprise nobody, S.T.S. Lord Nelson also received a share). Royalist has had many good captains and crews, and we particularly remember David Gay starting a tall ships race in Falmouth on starboard, catching most of the rest of the fleet on port; Royalist won that race. Later David thought to sail her up the river to Lymington. An idea not altogether greeted happily by the harbour master, who quite rightly thought it might interfere with the Lymington to Yarmouth ferries, which have quite enough to cope with in the narrow, well used, river. Nothing daunted, David went to the ferry terminal and asked what they thought and was greeted happily; we joined Royalist in the Solent and when we sailed up past the waiting ferry the Captain came out on the bridge to wave and clap his hands at her.


Royalist’s bow and stern carvings, so beautifully carved and painted by Norman Gaches, have always also been notable. We commissioned him to make a miniature of the stern carving and I asked him what the copyright fee would be if I made a mould and then resin mouldings from it; he replied that there would be no fee as long as they were sold for charity. So we have had some in the Square Rigger Club for presentation and for AGM sales. We all have stories about Royalist and sailing in her, and many have been published in this journal for over forty years. Her well-chosen paint scheme means that many recognised her by her gun ports, particularly chosen so that parents could immediately distinguish their offspring’s ship from others in the fleet, and we all have anecdotes

(not all publishable) about the youngsters’ experiences. Colin and I particularly remember one visit when we were being showed round by a young cadet. He carefully pointed out various aspects of her to us and I became worried that he might feel a bit silly if he later

A grin came on the cadet’s face, he lifted his thumb up and said, “Ace”. learned that he had been telling these to her naval architect. When I mentioned that Colin had in fact designed Royalist he immediately rushed to his locker and asked if Colin had designed this too; concerned that there

might be something wrong, Colin admitted that he had. A grin came on the cadet’s face, he lifted his thumb up and said, “Ace”. We had some initial resistance to our idea that that the words ‘T.S. Royalist’ ‘Sea Cadet Corps’ might be displayed on forward square sails; ‘How can we keep them up alongside in the wind?’ we were asked. After we explained that we proposed using net sails for this purpose the idea was approved and implemented, and is now copied by other vessels. Finally, who can forget the mother who wrote, “I do not know what you did to him in one week which I could not do in fourteen years, but he came home and tidied his bedroom. When can you take his brother?”

Gift Aid

Ha Ch ve Y ec ou ke d?

The club is always trying to generate more funds and one that is available through the revenue is that of Gift Aid. We currently have over 150 members who donate with Gift Aid and this generates some £1800 to £2000 pa in tax claims from the revenue. We will never achieve 100% of the Membership as some people are non-tax payers, but feel we could raise more through this method. Remember, it does not cost you a penny. Even if you are not sure if you have signed in the past, you can still fill in the form and return it back to our Hon. Treasurer at the address below. We can then check our database to ensure the charity is claiming the correct entitlement. For further information you can look on the Government’s official website: charities/gift-aid.htm Please address all completed forms to: John MacDonald, Square Rigger Club Charity, 146 Manchester Road, Mossley, Lancashire, OL5 9BG Top Left: Keel laying 21 October 1970. Vicki Scott performs the ceremony with a welding torch. Top Right: Necklace given to Rosemary by Morin Scott after she first climbed Royalist’s mainmast. Bottom Right: The Silver Ashtry All photos: Rosemary Mudie







Ships of the Royal Navy bearing the name ‘ROYALIST’ Ending several months of speculation the announcement that the new ship is to continue with the name of TS Royalist has been greeted with much enthusiasm. There has been a fine line of ships bearing the name HMS Royalist within the Royal Navy and the Sea Cadets are proud to continue the association, which initially is recorded as starting from 1796. HMS Royalist Schooner 14 x 6 pounder. Purchased 1797. Listed 1801. No additional information on the ship other than another ship of the same name is listed around this period but the information may have been duplicated.

HMS Royalist

Illustration of a Brig-Sloop

HMS Royalist Brig-sloop 2 x 6pdr. 10 x 4pdr. 8 x 18pdr. carr. 90 x 25ft. Cherokee class. 231 bm. Portsmouth DY. 12 May 1823. Sold 8 Nov 1838 to Mr. Lindon. The Cherokee class was a 10-gun class of brig-sloops of the Royal Navy. Brig-sloops are sloops-of-war with two masts (as per brigs) rather than the three masts of ship-sloops. The best known of the class was HMS Beagle, converted in 1825 into a three-masted exploration vessel for its first survey voyage, then considerably modified for the second voyage with Charles Darwin on board as a gentleman naturalist; however, a total of 114 vessels were ordered to this design, including 4 which were cancelled and 6 completed as steam vessels. The design for the Cherokee class was completed in 1807 by Henry Peake and approved on 26 November 1807, with the first four vessels having been ordered in March 1807 but not laid down until December; by the end of 1808 another 30 vessels had been ordered to this design. After these 34, a further 2 were ordered in 1812 which were built of teak at Bombay. The design was subsequently revived after the end of the Napoleonic Wars, and another 78 were ordered in two batches between 1817 and 1827. The first batch of these later ships consisted of 34 orders whilst the second amounted to 44 new vessels of which 4 were cancelled and 6 replaced by orders for paddle vessels. right 

Cherokee class sloop (HMS Beagle was converted to three masts from two)


Brig-sloop 16 x 32pdr. Carr. 2 x 6pdr. 100½ x 30½ft. Cruizer class. 385 bm. Hills, sandwich. 10 Jan 1807. Sold 3 Feb 1819 to W.Harper. The Cruizer class was an 18-gun class of brig-sloops of the Royal Navy. Brig-sloops were the same as ship-sloops except for their rigging. A ship-sloop was rigged with three masts whereas a brig-sloop was rigged as a brig with two masts - a fore mast and a main mast. The Cruizer class was the most numerous class of warships built by the British during the Napoleonic wars, with 110 vessels built to this design, and the second most numerous class of sailing warship built to a single design for any navy at any time, after the Cherokee-class brig-sloops. Of the vessels in the class, eight (8%) were lost to the enemy, either destroyed or taken. Another was taken, but retaken. Fourteen (13%) were wrecked while in British service. Lastly, four (4%) foundered while in British service. In all cases of foundering and in many cases of wrecking all the crew was lost. Many of the vessels in the class were sold, some into mercantile service. One at least was wrecked. The fate of the others is generally unknown

SQUARE RIGGER CLUB CHARITY HMS Royalist Brig (ex-Mary Gordon) 6 x 6pdr. 88 x 25½ft. 249 bm. Purchased 9 Jul 1841 in China. Lent Police as hulk 1856. Sold 14 Feb 1895.

HMS Royalist Wood Screw Sloop (Barque rigged) 1 x40pdr. 6 x 32pdr. 4 x 20pdr. 160 x 30ft. 913 tons 669 bm. Devonport DY 14 Dec 1861. Broken up at Chatham Sep 1875.

HMS Royalist Satellite Class Composite. Screw corvette (S. sloop upgraded to S. corvette). 2 x 6in. 10 x 5in. 200 x 38ft. 1,420 tons. Devonport DY 7 Mar 1883. Harbour service Feb. 1900. Renamed COLLEEN 1 Dec 1913. Transferred to Irish Free State. 19 Feb 1923. Broken up in 1950.

HMS Royalist Arethusa Class Light cruiser. 2 x 6in. 6 x 4in. 410 x 39ft. 3,500 tons. William Beardmore 14 Jan 1915. Sold 24 Aug 1922 Cashmore, Newport. On being commissioned, she was assigned to the 4th Light Cruiser Squadron of the Grand Fleet, and on 31 May to 1 June 1916 Royalist took part in the Battle of Jutland. She survived the battle and in February 1917 was reassigned to the 1st Light Cruiser Squadron of the Grand Fleet. She survived to the end of the First World War, and was sold for scrapping on 24 August 1922 to Cashmore, of Newport. left 

HM Submarine

HMS Royalist in Sydney

Submarine. 1 x 4in. 8 x TT. 260 x 30ft. 1,475 tons. Beardmore. Laid down 10 Jun 1929. Cancelled in Ju1 1929.

HMS Royalist Cruiser. 8 x 5.25in. 12 x 20mm. Scotts 30 May 1942. To RNZN 1956. 485 x 50½ft. 5,770 tons. Sold Nov 1967 BU Osaka Japan. HMS Royalist (pennant number 89) was a Dido-class light cruiser of the Bellona subgroup of the Royal Navy. The vessel was a modified Dido design with only four turrets but improved AA armament - aka Dido Group 2. She was built by Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company (Greenock, Scotland) with the keel being laid down on 21 March 1940. HMS Royalist was launched on 30 May 1942, and commissioned 10 September 1943. right 

HMS Royalist Arethusa Class Light Cruiser


San Sebastian 1813 Jutland 1916 S. France 1944 Aegian 1944 Burma 1945

Abbreviations used in the summaries Bm - builder’s measurement. A capacity measurement. Used up to 1873 and perhaps arrived at by calculating the number of tuns (casks) of wine, that the ship would carry. After 1873 displacement tonnage is used, changed in 1926 to standard displacement. BU - Broken up. carr - carronade/s. compos - composite (wood/iron). DY - Dockyard S. - Screw.

Acknowledgements MSSC Offshore Office Wikipedia Additional research and editing - Hugh Illingworth left 

HMS Royalist Cruiser 1942



The Naming and Commisioning of TS Royalist. In the prior week, the weather forecast had persistently advised rain for the day and although the early morning was fine, it duly begin to rain at 1100. At that time guests had assembled at Heron Quay in a marquee and awaited the arrival of HRH Princess Royal at 1140. The new ship was moored alongside the quay with MV John Jerwood and MV Jack Petchey also in attendance and moored just aft. A marquee had been erected adjacent to the quay and with much pomp and ceremony that such an occasion provokes, uniformed officers, dignitaries and hierarchy of the MSSC observed the parading and marching of the Sea Cadet Band before the arrival of HRH. Following the arrival of the Princess, the Ceremony began with speeches by the CEO of the MSSC Martin Coles, followed by the Chairman of the Flagship Appeal, Robert Woods CBE. HRH named the ship ‘TS Royalist’ and this was followed by an inspection of the ship’s Company and then there was a reading of the commissioning Warrant by Offshore Commander Jerry Bearne RNR and the act of dedication commenced with an introduction by Captain Philip Russell RN, Captain of the Sea Cadets. The serviced progressed with the inclusion of the hymn ‘Eternal Father, strong to save’ and concluded with a Blessing by Rt Revd. Hon Richard Chartres KCVOI, the Lord Bishop of London. At the conclusion of the service, the Princess was then escorted on board the new ship, greeted by Captain Angie Morris and the guests gathered in the marquee awaiting the cutting of the cake by HRH and enjoyed champagne and canopies in convivial company. After a while and with expert organization, groups of ten or so guests had been assembled together and the Princess was introduced into those groups with informal conversation. At the conclusion of the visit by the Princess, guests were invited to tour the ship and I took full advantage and was conducted around the ship by Roy Taylor the Sailing Master. Above deck, many features are similar to the old ship and I am sure that people will get to ‘know the ropes’ fairly quickly if they have sailed on the original TS Royalist. Down below though, is completely different and being used to the old ship and its spartan interior, it has to be recognised that the new ship has been built in a different age and with more comfort. Whilst there is some three tier accommodation, the crew sleeps in proper bunks now! It is surprising how much the approximate three metres in length and two in the beam create a more spacious feel. During recent months, one of our members Eric Greenough, a member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers , whom many SRCC members will know, made a new Bell Rope for the ship. We took the opportunity to present this to the ship in a symbolic way and a small presentation was made to the Captain and crew with the following words spoken by our Commodore, Hugh Illingworth, “On behalf of the Square Rigger Club Charity, I would like to affirm our support for the new ship TS Royalist by presenting this magnificent Bell Rope. The Square Rigger Club was formed by our forbears including Morin Scott, Colin Mudie and a small team who were the creators of the original TS Royalist some forty years ago. I am delighted to see that their legacy lives on. Captain Morris, may I please present you with this Bell Rope for the new ship? Thank you.” I am certain that the Sea Cadets will be very proud of their new flagship! The Square Rigger club is lined up for a charter in September and I shall look forward to being there! 16    SQUARE RIGGER CLUB CHARITY - SUMMER 2015




Hon. Treasurers Report.

Welcome Aboard

I have reconciled the Accounts to the 21st of Jan 2015 and I am satisfied the figures are true and correct. All un-presented cheques and lodgements are reflected in the balances.

A warm welcome to all of our new members this year, thank you for your kind generosity and support. Miles Banister from Winchester

Financial Review Trevor Russell From Surbiton, Surrey The club is coming up to another yearend and I can confirm the club is in good shape considering the large payment out we made towards the new Royalist 12 months ago. New vessel funds in total £10,550.41 if we add the Gift Aid, then in round figures £13,000 has been achieved. Gift Aid was as a result to this to £ 3,564 I have ring-fenced £13,000 for a yet to be decided project for the new Royalist, this leaves approx. £ 14,000 in reserves.

Marina Harding From Holloway, London Amy Bales From Shepherds Bush Mark Walton From Newborough, Anglesey


Summary Numbers since last Accounts

We at the Square Rigger Club Charity would like to say farewell and wish Cdr. Jerry Bearne RN a happy retirement from the Sea Cadets as he steps down from being Offshore Commander. Jerry has been a very loyal and diligent ex officio member of the Square Rigger Club Charity committee over the last nine or so years.

Subscriptions £ 6,101 Donations £ 3,270 Profit on Charters £ 3,889 New Vessel Fund £ 6,981 Tax Refund (Gift Aid ) £ 3,564 Bank Accounts £ 36,051

At the last committee meeting attended by the commodore and two former commodores, Jerry was presented with a fine engraved Royalist goblet with our grateful thanks.

Membership Break-down Rear Commodores 39 Revenue Masters Mates 45 Revenue Members 131 Revenue Honorary 10 Totals 225

£ 2,560 £ 1,300 £ 2,241 £6,101 J. R. MacDonald Hon. Treasurer

Bursary Secretary’s Report. The following are a few statistics from the offshore season 2014; Overall number of Sea Cadet training weeks achieved across the Fleet = 1,372 (includes 86 RM Cadets) That figure is broken down as follows: Royalist 567 Jack Petchey 346 John Jerwood 269 Yachts 190 -

Boys Girls


Number of different units using the offshore fleet:

In Memorium It is with a heavy heart that we announce that John Bradnock BEM (JB) has recently passed away. JB was a permanent fixture onboard TS Royalist for 36 years and was awarded a BEM for his service. There is no one that sailed onboard Royalist that hadn't met or at least heard of JB, in short the man was a Royalist Legend and we will not forget him! We will miss you JB and Lets just hope the Angels like Teddy Buns!

778 594 249

· In addition, the fleet took 12 Canadian Cadets to sea for 2 weeks (1 week each on ROY and JJ), 14 youngsters from Youth Utd, and 16 ATC. 57 Adults took part in 3 adult charter weeks.


Weeks lost due to mechanical defects/refit over-run


4 x John Jerwood refit over-run and 1 x Vigilant – Defective seacock


Weeks lost due to manpower shortages = Nil - Well in excess of 200 relief weeks required! R. Weston Bursary Secretary






bottom  Ctrl-Shift-click to edit this caption.




TS Royalist is the brand new square-rigged sail training brig belonging to the Sea Cadets Corp, and replaces the original ship commissioned in 1971. The vessel has introduced over 30,000 cadets to life at sea, and understanding the value of this, The Square Rigger Club has been supporting her work for over 40 years.

Membership starts from just £20 a year and makes a perfect present for any sailors, or would be square riggers looking to fulfill the dream of a lifetime. Join online at Join by post or email, complete the application form on the website and send to Mr J. MacDonald, Hon. Treasurer, SRCC, 146 Manchester Road, Mossley, Lancs OL5 9BG or

How To Join

SRCC Annual General Meeting 2015

View of TS Royalist at Weymouth in 2011

The Square Rigger Club Charity invites you to meet the new TS Royalist and attend the

on Saturday 17th October 2015 Come and join us for our annual meeting to be held at the Sea Cadet Training Centre in Weymouth. Times are provisional but the hope is that the ship will be available for viewing from 10.30am, a Buffet luncheon will be held at the Sea Cadet Training Centre from 12.30 and the AGM will commence at 14.00. Whilst there is no charge for attendance at the AGM, the fee for the buffet luncheon will be ÂŁ10.00 per head.

Please make a note in your diary, a formal notice of the AGM will be mailed out closer to the time. Photos Courtesy of David Harland

SRCC Newsletter 2015  

Summer 2015 edition

SRCC Newsletter 2015  

Summer 2015 edition