Glasgow awarded the highest possible grade in the first ever National Teaching Quality Assurance evaluation, and voted the number one veterinary school in a perception study conducted by the Association of Veterinary Students. Synergy with the University of Strathclyde: The Veterinary Informatics and Epidemiology group is a research affiliation which bridges institutions, faculties and departments, providing an environment for researchers to apply their combined expertise to study quantitative epidemiology, statistical and mathematical modeling and information science in the domain of animal and human disease.
Andrea Nolan becomes Dean, the first female Dean of a UK veterinary school. The ‘Fifty and Forwards’ celebrations take place. 1999 was the 50th anniversary of amalgamation with the University of Glasgow. The Faculty is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), one of only a few schools in Europe to have AVMA accreditation. The accreditation endorses the academic, research and teaching excellence at the highest level. Glasgow’s Faculty of Veterinary Medicine can be considered to be ‘world class’.
The University celebrates 550 years since its creation by Papal Bull in 1451. The Weipers Centre for Equine Welfare surgical suites are completed at a cost of £6.2 million, providing state of the art facilities for the treatment of horses.
The Development Fund is set up to build on relationships with our alumni and friends worldwide and harness support for current and future projects.
Sarah Chiodetto appointed Faculty Secretary.
© University of Glasgow 2011 Design: MVLS Graphic Support Unit, University of Glasgow www.glasgow.ac.uk/gsu The University of Glasgow, charity number SC004401
A capital campaign is launched to raise £10 million to build a new Small Animal Hospital, to provide the Faculty with a world-class centre for the welfare of companion animals and students with a first-class educational environment.
Stuart W J Reid appointed Dean. Faculty recognises the ‘Glasgow greats’ by naming key buildings: McCall, Jarrett, Stewart, Urquhart. The Henry Wellcome Building for Comparative Medical Sciences, the research hub of the Faculty, opens at a cost of £7 million.
The first students are admitted to the Faculty’s new Masters Degree in Veterinary Public Health. The Faculty holds its first Alumni Dinner. Memorandum of understanding signed with the Moredun Research Institute, cementing commitment to research for the benefit of food animal production and farming. The virtual rectum – a haptic training device invented in the Faculty is featured on the Discovery Channel.
Seven more years! The Faculty receives renewed accreditation by the AVMA and is commended on its esprit d’corp.
New £2 million Scottish Centre for Production Animal Health and Food Safety established at Garscube Campus, replacing ‘the byres’. Alumnus Ewan Murray selected tight head prop for the British and Irish Lions tour to South Africa. Second stable block at the Weipers Centre for Equine Welfare constructed.
Official opening of the multi award winning new Small Animal Hospital – quite possibly the best of its kind worldwide. Faculty honour the men and women who were enrolled in Glasgow Veterinary College in the late 1940s when it became part of the University of Glasgow, but who until 2010 never received a Glasgow degree. Faculty translated from ‘Faculty of Veterinary Medicine’ to ‘School of Veterinary Medicine’ within the College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences. Stuart W J Reid appointed foundation Head of School. The School comes top again in the UK for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey. Official opening of the Scottish Centre for Production Animal Health and Food Safety.
Professor Ewan R Cameron appointed Head of School.
Vice Principal Peter Holmes receives OBE.
Joint top of all accredited veterinary schools in the RAE. The Faculty tops charity and research council income leagues for veterinary schools for the sixth consecutive year. Professor James McCall Memorial Lecture established in memory of the founder of the Glasgow Veterinary College. The Inaugural Lecture, entitled ‘Viruses, Vaccines, Pandemics and Paranoia’ is delivered by Professor David Onions. The Faculty establishes new BSc programme in Veterinary Biosciences.
The documentary series ‘Animal ER’, filmed across the School of Veterinary Medicine, is launched on Discovery’s ‘Animal Planet’ channel. Feedback revealed a steady climb in audience figures, making it the second most popular show on the channel – only losing out to Bondi Vet! Work commences on the new Centre for Virus Research. The Complete University Guide ‘University League Table 2012’ recognises the University of Glasgow’s rise in the national rankings of higher education institutions in the UK to 21st place, with the School of Veterinary Medicine crowned No 1, as the best place in the UK to study Veterinary Medicine.
A Brief History World class and proud of our heritage www.glasgow.ac.uk/schools/vet/
A Brief History
The School of Veterinary Medicine 1862
Glasgow Veterinary College founded.
Royal Charter granted to James McCall establishing Glasgow Veterinary College.
Alf Wight (James Herriot) graduates.
Amalgamation with the University with William Weipers as Director. From its inception in 1862 to 1949, Glasgow Veterinary School had been a privately funded body situated at Garnethill, whose students graduated with a Diploma of Membership to The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. The first moves towards amalgamation were made in 1936 and by 1944 the second Loveday Report recommended that the Veterinary School become part of the University and that students receive a degree. Under the guidance and leadership of William Weipers the School became part of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Glasgow and the first 40 students were enrolled in 1949.
Chairs of Veterinary Surgery and Veterinary Pathology established.
The new veterinary school, the building of which began in 1950, opens at Garscube. Cochno Estate purchased. The estate continues to be an integral part of veterinary undergraduate, postgraduate and CPD teaching as well as a centre of research and development.
The Chair of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Preventative Medicine established.
Glasgow develops the use of tissue culture for the diagnosis of canine distemper. Medical colleagues visit Buccleuch Street to witness the new technology at first hand.
Chair of Veterinary Medicine established.
The bovine lungworm vaccine produced. Glasgow’s multidisciplinary approach to research, which included George Urquhart, Bill Jarrett, Ian McIntyre, Bill Mulligan and Frank Jennings, led to the development of the first commercially available parasitic vaccination that revolutionised the control of parasitic bronchitis in cattle.
Chair of Veterinary Physiology established. Centenary of Glasgow Veterinary School.
The first official Faculty link with Africa involving undergraduate education in Kenya is formed. This has led to a tradition of Glasgow being strongly associated with Africa through contributions to the development of veterinary schools and animal research centres.
Feline leukaemia virus first identified by Bill Jarrett. Working with a local practitioner, Harry Pfaff, Professor Jarrett realised that clusters of cats were dying from lymphosarcoma suggesting an infectious origin. The first isolation of feline leukaemia virus particles helped to establish Glasgow as an internationally recognised centre for research into retroviruses and cancer. This work has subsequently extended into the realms of human medicine with investigations into the role of leukaemogenic viruses in human cancer.
William Weipers receives knighthood.
1968 Faculty of Veterinary Medicine established with Sir William Weipers as Dean. The Department of Pathology moves to Garscube from Buccleuch Street.
The Department of Veterinary Anatomy moves to Garscube and Buccleuch Street closes its doors for the last time. John Roberts becomes the first Clerk to the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.
Betty Blake becomes secretary to the Dean, Sir William Weipers and, until her retirement in 1995, saw seven Deans through their terms of office.
Silver Jubilee of the University of Glasgow Veterinary School and the retirement of Sir William Weipers. In addition to his knighthood, Sir William’s significant contributions to veterinary education and research were acknowledged by honorary degrees from Glasgow and Stirling universities, and his fellowship and presidency of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. Ian McIntyre becomes the new Dean.
The refurbished Small Animal Hospital opens.
The 4th General Assembly of the European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education held at Garscube. Representatives of 50 veterinary schools in Europe attended the first UK meeting of EAEVE, the body involved in monitoring veterinary education in Europe.
James Armour becomes Dean.
Ian Botham opens the Leukaemia Research Fund Virus Centre.
Sir James Black, who in the 1950s established the foundations of research in veterinary physiology at Glasgow, is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine.
Bill Mulligan succeeds Ian McIntyre as Dean.
Glasgow awarded the highest Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) score of a UK veterinary school.
Chair of Veterinary Anatomy established.
Donald Lawson becomes Dean. Bill Mulligan becomes Vice-Principal of the University of Glasgow, the first of a further four from the Faculty, namely Sir James Armour in 1991, Peter Holmes in 1998, Andrew Nash in 2002, and Andrea Nolan in 2004. Bill Jarrett elected Fellow of the Royal Society on account of his many distinguished contributions to veterinary and comparative medical research.
The introduction of a lecture-free final year at Glasgow: An idea conceived by Ian McIntyre, which has since been adopted by all the veterinary schools in the UK. The Feline Virus Unit established under the directorship of Os Jarrett.
Fire destroys most of the pathology buildings.
Tom Douglas becomes Dean.
Norman Wright becomes Dean.
Glasgow again excels in the RAE.
1994 Tom Mathieson becomes Clerk to the Faculty. CLIVE’s (Computer-aided Learning in Veterinary Education) association with Glasgow begins.
The Faculty, along with Cambridge Veterinary School, is threatened with closure after the publication of the findings of the Riley Committee. A huge public awareness campaign culminated in a petition of more than 650,000 signatures which was presented to Downing Street. The Faculty received vital support from the University of Glasgow with Sir William Kerr Fraser, the Principal at the time, playing a pivotal role. In 1990, a new government report - the Page review recommended that all six veterinary schools remain open and that they increase student numbers. With that, the Riley Report was consigned to history.
After 20 years as Clerk to the Faculty, John Roberts or ‘JR’ as he was affectionately known retires and Robin Lee succeeds him.
New GUVMA Common Room opened, replacing the GUVMA hut.
James Armour receives knighthood. The Weipers Centre for Equine Welfare opens. The establishment of the Weipers Centre has seen equine medicine and surgery raise its profile at the school, catering for an expanding clientele from children’s ponies to Cheltenham winners. The James Herriot Library officially opened by Jim Wight, the author’s son.