About Robert Morris University
Robert Morris University was founded in 1921 in downtown Pittsburgh as the Pittsburgh School of Accountancy. The school’s founder, educator and accountant Andrew Blass, rented classroom space in the Blackstone Building. In 1935, the school’s president, Richard Khuen III, changed the name of the institution to the Robert Morris School of Business in honor of the founding father popularly known as the financier of the American revolution. After leasing space at several other Pittsburgh locations, including downtown’s famed William Penn Hotel, Robert Morris purchased a building of its own in 1959, the Rust Engineering Building at 600 Fifth Ave. in downtown Pittsburgh. Three years later, Robert Morris acquired the estate of Oliver Kaufmann
in Moon in order to build its first residential campus. The first students on campus lived in the Kaufmann mansion, where today sits Massey Hall. A record 2,070 students lived at the Moon campus during the 2013-14 academic year. In the fall of 2013, RMU welcomed 980 new freshman students, the largest incoming class in its history. In 1961, Robert Morris became a nonprofit institution so that it could become a junior college, a change necessitated by a decision of the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants to require candidates for the CPA exam to earn a college degree. The following year, the name of the school changed to Robert Morris Junior College, and then in 1969, it became Robert Morris College.
2015 ROBERT MORRIS UNIVERSIT Y FOOTBALL
Robert Morris continued to grow throughout the next three decades, expanding to include graduate degree programs and adding more bachelor’s programs as well. In 1977, Robert Morris joined the NCAA Division I for intercollegiate athletics. In 2002, following approval by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the school became Robert Morris University. In 2010, RMU sold the Pittsburgh Center to Duquesne University. In 2011, Robert Morris opened a new School of Business building at the Moon campus, and the next year the university unveiled the Wheatley Center for the School of Communications and Information Systems. This fall, the university opens another academic building, this time for the School of Nursing and Health Sciences.
Independence Day Magazine (Sept. 19, 2015)