Page 1

Where do I eat?

Quiet Hours?

All meals are served in the central dining hall, The Market Place, located adjacent to most of the residence halls. It offers several entrees at each meal, special hot and cold sandwich lines, and a salad bar at lunch and dinner. Special diets can be arranged with the food service. A campus snack bar called “The Cyber Cafe” is also located in the Student Center.

Twenty-four hour courtesy hours exist in all residence halls. Quiet hours (study hours) begin at 11:00 p.m. in all communities. Conditions conducive to study should prevail at all times. How will I receive my mail? My E-mail?

All campus buildings are well within walking distance; however, if you wish you may bring a car, motorcycle or bicycle. All motorized vehicles must be registered with the University and you must purchase a parking permit for them. Parking is at a premium. No storage area for bicycles.

Each student is assigned a mailbox in the Campus Post Office located in the Student Center. Your address will be: Your Name MSC Box_________, University of Rio Grande Rio Grande, Ohio 45674 Each student is assigned an E-mail box at class registration. Internet connection is available in rooms.

What appliances may I bring?

What about telephones?

Students may bring the following list of U.L. approved appliances: clock, radio, fan, hair dryer, curling iron, electric razor, iron, small portable refrigerator, small microwave oven, computer, stereo, tape recorder, VCR/DVD and small television. (Basic cable T.V. is provided). All residence halls are air-conditioned. Please be advised all residence hall rooms have been assigned an amperage limit for safety purposes. Check with your R.A. or SLC before installing these items in your room. NO appliances with an exposed heating coil are permitted, i.e. toasters, toaster ovens and hotplates. Major cooking is not permitted in the residence halls.

A telephone jack is available in each residence hall room and a line for every two students in the suites. Students are responsible for long distance tolls and for providing their own phones. Voice mail is available in all rooms. There are no public pay phones in the residence halls.

May I bring a car or bicycle?

What about visitors? Visitors of the opposite sex who are registered students (or registered guests) may be entertained in student rooms from noon until midnight, Sunday through Thursday and from noon until 2:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday in the Cardiff community. Other communities have more relaxed visitation hours. May I consume alcoholic beverages in my room? Alcohol is prohibited in all residence halls.

What if an emergency arises and my parents can’t reach me or the residence hall telephone? Parents should then contact one of the following: Office of Student Services ..................(740) 245-5353 Ext. 7234 THE STUDENT LIFE COORDINATOR OF . . . Davis Hall .....................................................245-7393 Boyd Hall . ....................................................245-7501 Holzer Hall . ..................................................245-7282 Moulton Hall . ...............................................245-7290 New Hall .......................................................245-7471 Campus Police Office ...............245-7286 • Ext. 7286 While Rio is in session, the University switchboard is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. You may use the toll-free number 1-800-282-7201 (Ohio only), or (740) 245-5353. When the switchboard is closed, emergency calls may be directed to 245-7286.

A Checklist of Suggested Items For The College-Bound Student LINENS ■ Sheets ■ Pillow(s) ■ Blanket(s) ■ Bedspread ■ Afghan ■ Towels ■ Wash cloths ■ Mattress pad APPLIANCES ■ Clock/Radio ■ CD/MP3 Player ■ Hair dryer ■ Curling iron ■ Electric razor ■ Iron/Board ■ DVD/Game System ■ Television (Cable ready) ■ Computer ■ (q.v. “What appliances may I bring?” Paragraph in this brochure.) PERSONAL ITEMS ■ Soap, shampoo ■ Deodorant ■ Cologne, perfume ■ Make-up ■ Robe ■ Shaving cream ■ Aspirin ■ Medicine ■ Band-aids ■ Toothbrush ■ Toothpaste ■ Tissues ■ Cotton balls ■ Cotton swabs ■ Razors ■ Hand lotion ■ Shower bucket ■ Shower shoes

SCHOOL SUPPLIES ■ Paperclips ■ Rubberbands ■ Tacks, pins ■ Masking tape ■ Scotch tape ■ Glue ■ Stapler-staples ■ Notebook, folders ■ Tablets, paper ■ Pens, pencils ■ Memoboard ■ Ruler ■ Scissors ■ Calendar ■ Stamps ■ Envelopes ■ Posters ■ Bookbag ■ Pictures OTHER ITEMS ■ Laundry supplies ■ Cleaning supplies ■ Dishes for snacks ■ Cups, glasses ■ Small sewing kit ■ Safety pins ■ Outlet strip ■ Flashlight ■ Batteries ■ Roll of quarter ■ Camera ■ Umbrella ■ Sweeper ■ Waste basket ■ Trash bags ■ Lining paper ■ Study Lamp ■ Area rugs ■ Lounge Chair

Revised 2-23-10

Living & Learning at Rio Grande

The University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College do not discriminate against applicants, employees, or students on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, marital status, veteran status, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, or disability. Questions about this policy should be directed to the Human Resources Director, Allen Hall, 740-245-7228. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be made through the Human Resources office.


The residence halls at the University of Rio Grande are more than just a place to sleep and study. They give added meaning and purpose for every student, staff, and faculty member who contributes to the community of the residence halls. For many, this type of community life is a new experience which should be enjoyable and educational. Residence life offers a unique opportunity for personal growth outside the classroom. This brochure has been designed to provide valuable information concerning residence life and the guidelines that are so often necessary to facilitate learning and consideration for others.


Once your room reservation form has been received and processed, you will be notified as to your residence hall assignment; usually the last of July for the fall semester. Davis Hall (women) and Holzer Hall (men) are traditionally the Cardiff Community. Boyd, New and Moulton Hall house the Dean Lewis, Wellness and 45674 Communities as the student population demands. Your placement in the community is dependent upon age, previous college experience and gender. Rooms can be assigned on the day you check into the residence hall, but the choice of a roommate will be limited.


The University of Rio Grande is a residential campus which considers education a process of growth and development. For this reason, the University maintains a dining service and residence halls as integral parts of the total academic program to facilitate an individual student's growth toward independence.

Learning does not end in the classroom but is enhanced by interactions with a diverse group of fellow residents participating in leadership opportunities, social, educational and service activities. Residence life is a sense of belonging you will feel as soon as you get your keys and decorate the walls. There is something about close quarters that translates to close friendships. Special bonds grow over time even as you move out and move on.


There is a limited amount of single and super single rooms available. These can only be accommodated by request to the housing office as early as possible prior to the beginning of the term of expected occupancy. Single/super single rooms will be assigned on a first come first serve basis. Single/Super Single rooms are an additional cost. NOTE: Each resident must complete the "checkin" process with the Resident Assistant on his or her floor when they move into the hall. Each resident must complete the "check-out" process prior to leaving the hall. If this process is not completed, the student will be charged an additional fee.

OPENING DATES OF RESIDENCE HALLS FALL SEMESTER August 21, 2010 (returning)............9:00 a.m. - noon August 21, 2010 (new students) .....1:00 - 4:00 p.m. SPRING SEMESTER January 9, 2011 .................................... 1:00 p.m.

MOST COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ‌ What does the University furnish? Residence Hall room furnishings include a bed, mattress, dresser, mirror, lighting, closet, desk and chair, and drapes. All halls are carpeted/tiled, air conditioned and Smoke Free. May I arrange my room? Room furnishings that are moveable may be arranged to individual taste, but may not be removed from the room. Your room must be returned to its original state before checking out. Students will be billed for any damages incurred, including damage to furnishings, walls, doors, ceilings, etc. What is a Resident Assistant? Each residence hall has a staff of Resident Assistants (R.A.’s) that are full-time students selected and trained to assist residents in a variety of ways. Each R.A. has a wing or floor of approximately 20 students. Your R.A. is a friend available for counseling, programming, information, or provide the opportunity to chat. What is a Student Life Coordinator? A Student Life Coordinator (SLC) is a staff person who resides in the residence hall. The SLC is responsible for the overall management of the residence hall and is the direct supervisor for the Resident Assistants. What should I do if I become ill? The University Health Center, located in the James A. Rhodes Student Center, provides health care to students from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. After hours, please contact your R.A. or SLC. They can arrange for a sick tray from the dining hall, and if necessary medical treatment.

What do I do in case of emergency? Immediately contact your R.A., the R.A. on duty, or your SLC. They will assist you and know whom to contact if necessary. Am I allowed to change rooms? Room changes are permitted, but recommended after two weeks of the first term to allow for adjustment. Room and roommate changes need to be approved by the SLC. If at any time you encounter roommate problems, contact your R.A. or SLC. May I stay in my room during vacations? During vacation periods, residence halls are closed to students. A student remaining in the area will need to make arrangements for off-campus housing during the vacation periods. Refrigerators left during vacation periods must be emptied and cleaned. What about theft? Although Rio Grande does not have a serious theft problem, you are encouraged to exercise good common sense and take preventative measures. You should lock your door at all times and never leave cash or valuables in the open. If a theft does occur, please notify your R.A., SLC, and Campus Police immediately. What happens if I lose my keys? If you lose your key, report it immediately to your R.A. If your originals cannot be found, the core will be changed for security purposes and you will be billed for the cost of the change. University keys are not to be duplicated. Where do I do my laundry? Each residence hall has a laundry room. It is equipped with coin-operated washing machines and dryers. Change machines are also available.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you