MENTORING OF MANAGEMENT TEAM PURPOSE To compete in today’s global markets your organisation needs to develop and support 21 st century leadership, ethics and values. The mentoring programme will give your Senior management members the extra edge to compete in these turbulent times. This is a Holistic Diagnostic Programme for these selected individuals and utilizes the latest research in Brain Re-engineering , the psychological, physical, family, spiritual, commercial and social factors that influence an them as they work for YOUR COMPANY . The extended programme conducted over a year also helps the mentees look at how to transcend from IQ (Intelligence Quotient) to EQ (Emotional Quotient) and ultimately to SQ (Spiritual Quotient). The mentor also demonstrates how to use NLP tools to enhance IQ, EQ and SQ both from an Organisational perspective and an individual perspective. This opportunity will be an enriching experience for mentees ,currently in positions of leadership and prepare them for leadership challenges of the 21st Century. The mentees who closely work with the mentor will learn how they think at present and how they could improve their thinking styles, develop confidence, principles of a winning mind, stress control , removal of negative traits that block full potential, and life transformational principles. They will begin to appreciate that often the problem lies within us: within individuals who haven’t grappled with internal conflicts, which manifest externally. Many of us operate on a superficial level, which is known as sensory level activity, or sometimes even at an intellectual level. What we fail to realize is that we need to reach beyond these levels to what is known as the integral level, at which point a person’s consciousness can be restructured. With the proposed approach this could very well be the start of a journey towards the complete transformation of the personality of the individual.
WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THIS RELATIONSHIP Mentoring is: An informal and supportive relationship whereby the Consultant undertakes to help the Senior staff learn qualities that will develop his job and develop world-class leadership and personal qualities as a senior member of YOUR COMPANY . The mentor will provide:
• initial guidance on a respective area identified • observation of feedback • the opportunity for the mentee to learn from the mentor's example and experience • examples of, and guidance on, acceptable standards of work in all aspects of being . • information, advice and guidance on quality behaviour and standards of emotional and spiritual conduct • guidance on interpreting and living the YOUR COMPANY culture - 'the way we do things here' The mentor is prepared to:
• initiate regular meetings with a member and be available, within reason, on request- Schedule is indicted separately. • assist with any problems relating to his performance which a member chooses to raise • appreciate a member’s differing experience and needs • respect the importance of trust in the mentoring relationship • maintain a written record of meetings held with the member of Senior staff The mentor will be able to: • listen actively and attentively • ask open and appropriate questions • reflect back feelings and opinions he/she observes • make suggestions without sounding prescriptive • summarise the main points of discussion • give constructive, positive and precise feedback. The Basics of Good Mentoring Relationship for Mentors
• Engage mentees in ongoing conversations • Demystify the profession, organization, or business • Provide constructive and supportive feedback
• Be efficient in interactions with your mentor • Take yourself seriously • Accept critiques in a professional manner
• Provide encouragement and support • Help foster networks • Look out for your mentee’s interests • Treat your mentee with respect • Individualize and personalize your interactions
• Be responsible • Demonstrate your commitment to the profession • Follow your mentor’s advice • Respect boundaries
THE RATIONALE The challenge for organisations today is how to enlist the hearts and minds of all their employees. Even those employees involved in direct production and service delivery must strive for continuous improvements in quality, reducing costs and process times to meet customers' expectations and keep up with the competition. Doing the job as it was done before is unlikely to be enough.’ Much of the work done today is mental rather than physical. Automation has reduced the proportion of people in organisations who do manual work. Employees are involved in more discretionary tasks, such as product development, marketing and customer relations. Imagine a standard 2 x 2 matrix. The vertical axis represents effectiveness, doing the right things, thinking. The horizontal axis represents efficiency, doing things right, performing. There are four quadrants in the matrix: 1. Lower left: the Lifetime Liability - the employee who neither performs nor thinks 2. Upper left: the Wish-List Dreamer - the thinking non-performer who, if he has ideas, keeps them to himself 3. Lower right: the Automated Bureaucrat - the non-thinking performer who does what he's told and no more 4. Upper right: the Thinking Performer - the ‘strategic activist’ employee who adds value through continuous challenge and self-imposed improvement goals Effectiveness
What it means The Thinking Performer paradigm reflects a behavioural model of people at work which is characterized by the following patterns of action: 1. The efficient delivery of expected results and performance of required processes - the 'performance' element. 2. Periodic reflection on the way things are currently done in order to seek ways of doing them better (to higher standards of cost-effective quality), cheaper (at lower costs, measured financially or via other means of resource utilization, including time) or faster (with improved response times and personal/team productivity). 3. Challenges about the things that are currently done, the procedures followed, the systems already in place, in order to check whether these things/procedures/systems genuinely add value and make a positive difference to the desired outcomes. 4. Clear understanding of and commitment to the purposes behind tasks and activities, so that the 'means' never gets in the way of the 'ends'. 5. Assimilation of appropriate, defensible and consistent ethical attitudes, plus a preparedness to articulate concerns when the circumstances are justified. The programme will be built around the qualities of a world-class leader
What are these qualities of a World-class Leader 1. Humility: This is the ability to control your ego, not permanently subdue it. Humility should not be confused with timidity. Humility is keeping oneâ€™s ego in check. 2. Competence: This is the demonstration of knowledge and skill as it relates to your areas of responsibility. 3. Approachability: Individuals will approach those whom they trust, that is, those with integrity; and those whose personal style and manner is flexible rather than rigid. Learn to be adaptable to the various needs and personalities of others. 4. Discipline: Exercise the required self-disciple to deliver what you say you will deliver; and behave the way you know you should behave. Discipline puts feet to intent.
5. Conviction: People will follow those who believe in themselves, and display conviction regarding the course of action. Assess carefully how you will lead and then persevere, displaying confidence and conviction as you lead others towards your goal. 6. Decisiveness: Assess and then act. Take responsibility for your actions, donâ€™t prepare a barricade or pass blame for your decisions in times of failure. When you must make a decision, make it. Make it decisively, and take
responsibility for its outcome. 7. Knowledge: Use your knowledge wisely to promote effective action; and when in doubt gain the necessary knowledge. 8. Direction: Have clear goals and a clear vision for yourself which you then pass on to others. It is important that you have clarity of direction yourself, and the ability to clearly communicate this direction. 9. Clarity: Your communication needs to be simple and memorable. People must be able to understand it in your presence, and recall it in your absence. 10. Charisma: Charisma does not mean the ability to win a popularity contest, rather it means that you are likable. We all tend to gravitate to individuals we like, and so as a leader be friendly and likeable.
The programme will also aim at inculcating certain qualities of a 21 century Leader What are these qualities ? Knows the Importance of The Middle Way The Way of Nature Is a trusting person. Is a Thankful, Giving Person Makes sure Customers have access to him Knows their Body and Their mind Knows that every action they take to help another benefits themselves. Every action they take to Hurt another Hurts them selves. Emotionally and Physically. Knows that every disease in the Human Body originates with negative thinking. Is a person who leads with their heart and brings out the best out of everyone at every level of the Community and Their Company. Inspires leadership in others. Puts People before procedures. Is a person who can laugh at himself. Learns from a three year old and is not being ashamed to tell everyone Is a person who always believes in other people and the goodness of life. Thinks that everyone deserves a second chance. Understands that Companies get SARS just like people and that it comes from covering up â€œmistakesâ€?.
Keeps People informed. Balances their life between career and family. Their family supports them and they support their family. Writes poems. Always look at the best qualities in their people and focus their attention in developing those qualities. Owns their Country / their Company in Their heart. Believes that they can achieve success no matter what may have happened the past. Understands the concept of the Circle. Knows the importance of regular Unlearning and Learning. Knows that just because it was right yesterday does not make it right today or Tomorrow. Never Restructures or Re Engineersâ€“ They Regenerate and Resuscitate. They Revive and Renew. Thinks Long Term Accept other have weakness just like themselves, but choose to focus on and enhance the personâ€™s strength instead. Is a forgiving person! Practices forgiveness in everything to themselves and others. Spends time with nature. Makes regular visits to the beach, the forest or a waterfall. Invites and encourages different Opinions to their own Treasures the old folks, the old employees and the old memories. Believes that people are free to choose what they believe. Never judges. Leaves the business of judgment totally to God. Love unconditionally in every circumstance all the time, all the place. Blows a kiss to the world once in a while. Listen to the ideas of others and understands they may also come from Nature, Children or pets. Sponsors a bright young orphan for a college education and remains anonymous. Coaches Others.
Respects Privacy. Acknowledges the success of the other people’s brand / product / country even though they are the closest competitor. Sees technology as a Tool to enhance as opposed to a Tool to Control. Takes time to stop and think, “What would my Mother / My Wife (Husband) / my Child / My Boss / My Staff do if they are in my shoes right now?” Walks in the rain, once a while. Has a coffee / lunch with the tea lady / janitor at least once in their own lifetime. Never believes their own Marketing material but always searches for the truth and the best of service. Knows that the best is the target and everyone else wants to get there. Knows that the world is one market whether we like it or not. Knows that Truth always wins in the end. Knows, understands and Practices the Boomerang Theory. Thinks First World. Puts Service to Others before all else – Staff and Customers. Says and hears what has to be said and heard versus what others what to hear. Knows the difference between Right or Wrong and Always supports only actions that help others and never supports actions that Hurt.
SUGGESTED POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS BY MENTEES
PRINCIPLES OF PERSONAL TRANSFORMATION AND AFFIRMATIONS (1) There is a tremendous potential lying within me to be realized. Once realized, as an individual, I will be able to live life to the fullest with peace, joy and sound mental and physical health. - I am a unique individual at YOUR COMPANY and will be what I truly want to be for the benefit of myself, my family, and the society at large.
(2) The fundamental problem most of the time is with my negative thinking habits that yields negative poor results and drain my energy. By correcting my thinking habits, I can correct the outcome and give a greater benefit to myself. - I will always entertain positive, realistic thoughts that are beneficial to me, and those around me (3) Negative traits, such as hatred, deceit, anger etc. which are within me cause stress and irritability on my nervous system. These must be eliminated in order to have a fully productive, participatory role in life. - I will strive to eliminate these negative traits and stress and will not harbor any grudges against those who have caused me pain. I am an over comer and an active person in YOUR COMPANY and also society. (4) I know that negative traits must be replaced with positive units of love and concern for others. This would give peace to me and to others around me. I will incorporate ethical values in all my daily dealings. - I will act with care and responsibility towards those around me and strive to maintain high ethical standards and a transparency in my dealings and do nothing that would cause harm and grief to those close to me. (5) I know that all forms of life is precious. Therefore, every effort needs to be taken to protect human, animal and plant life, and their rights. -
I will protect all forms of life without discrimination and value others and their rights.
(6) I believe that even though knowledge could be acquired from different sources, the full development of myself comes gradually as I live closest to nature, unhurried, focussed, tolerant and humble. I value my culture and respect each other within the society. - I will live close to nature and maintain a calm yet dynamic composure. With that inner calm and strength, I can achieve almost anything. Methodology The suggested mentoring programme for first batch will be conducted over 3 months . It is proposed to get all mentees to participate in a 3- 4 hr sharing of vital issues and standards etc on the last Friday of each month from 2-5 pm or time to be agreed upon , held at a suitable location.
All aspects followed up during the following month , including formats etc ,will be distributed to mentees at this monthly session which is compulsory. Thereafter, there will be a one-hour individual, confidential sessions with each mentee during the month on the following days: The Consultant will be available at agreed location on these agreed day of each month and discuss with mentees during a morning of each day.
Designed for Members of the management team or as identified by the Company , ideally for a team of around 10 key people . Venue At agreed location Mentors Prof. Dr.Lakshman Madurasinghe & Prof. Dr.Cees Torre
PURPOSE An informal and supportive relationship whereby the Consultant undertakes to help the Senior staff learn qualities that will develop...