GramFacil_1-10 Fronts_express_maio2012.indd 1
5/16/12 11:29 AM
Possessive Adjectives and Pronouns my, your..., mine, yours... Is that car yours?
Os possessivos concordam com o possuidor. I love my girlfriend, you love yours.
Adjetivos possessivos precedem substantivos. This is my bike. His hair is brown.
Pronomes possessivos podem ser usados depois de of.
Pronomes possessivos substituem substantivos.
She is a friend of mine. (one of my friends)
This is my homework. Where’s yours? (your homework)
They are friends of ours. (some of our friends)
I. Underline the correct alternative. Example: (Our / ours) bags are here. Where are (your / yours)? 1. Don’t interrupt me. I’m doing (my / mine) homework. 2. “Is this (her / hers) bike?” “Yes, it’s (her / hers).” 3. Look, there’s Rachel! Is she a friend of (your / yours)? 4. (Our / Ours) grandparents always come to lunch on Sundays. 5. The children don’t like (their / theirs) new school. 6. Marta and Letícia are friends of (our / ours). 7. My cat is eating (it / its) food. 8. “Where’s Cristina?” “She’s with (her / hers) father.” 9. (Theirs / Their) car is white, but (his / him) is black. 10. This isn’t (ours / our) luggage, it’s (their / theirs).
10/17/08 4:19:08 PM
II. Complete these sentences with possessive adjectives or pronouns. Example: My brother always checks 1. Tatiana gave
homework, but I never check
friend a CD. friends at the movie theater.
2. Marcelo and I are going to meet 3. Give me your address and I’ll give you
4. We really like
math teacher. Do you like
5. Dan is riding
bike. Rebecca is riding
6. Diego and Luciana are our neighbors.
apartment is near
7. Do you know Rafaela? She’s a friend of
. We’re in the same class.
8. Márcia and Paulo are visiting some of
III. Underline the correct alternative to complete the dialogue. Steve: Look at (my / mine) exam results! They are terrible! What about (your / yours)? Ben:
(My / Mine) are OK. How are Rachel’s results?
Steve: (Her / Hers) are OK too. Ben:
Steve: (His / He) results are OK too! Ben:
IV. Manuela is studying English in the U.S. Complete this letter to her friends in Brazil. Use possessive adjectives and pronouns.
Hi, guys! How’s school? I am studying hard. English classes are difficult, but teacher is really friendly and patient. And after school, I have a lot of fun with the other students in class. On Friday, we had a big party. I met a nice boy and I gave him phone number. He gave me too. An Italian boy asked all the girls for e-mail addresses. Ângela didn’t give to Carlo. But she gave it to a really cute guy called Stefan. I’ll write again soon with some more news. Bye for now! Love Manuela XXXX 15
07/05/10 6:01:19 PM
1. Read the text once, quickly, to get the general idea. Then underline all the possessive adjectives and pronouns. You should find nine.
my composition I’m mad at my friend Janice. The other day, I showed her teacher, Mr. Swan, and later I found out that she’d simply copied it!! Our I told him what thought that the composition was hers and not mine! When had happened, he said that it wasn’t his problem. When other friends of mine tried to help by talking to a problem Mr. Swan, he said that they shouldn’t get involved in that isn’t theirs! I had a huge argument with Janice and she finally confessed that the composition was, in fact, mine!
Source: Graded English. Amos, Prescher and Pasqualin. Moderna, 2006.
2. Read the text and choose the appropriate grammatical form to complete de dialog between Carlos and Alex. Carlos: The movie we saw last night wasn’t very good. It was all about life in a small town like ours here. Alex: So? Carlos: (There wasn’t / There are / There weren’t) any point to the story, to tell you the truth. Why would anyone want to know what life is like in a place like this? (There are / There’s / There isn’t) ever anything exciting going on round here1. Alex: You obviously didn’t hear what happened yesterday downtown then, did you? Carlos: No! What? Alex: (There weren’t / There are / There was) a series of robberies in the afternoon! Three armed robbers broke into four different banks. Carlos: And (wasn’t there / aren’t there / won’t there be) any clues2 for the police to find out who the robbers were? Alex: So far they have no idea. Carlos: Wow! (There will be / There is / There was) more going on here yesterday than at the movies then!! •
going on round here = acontecendo por aqui clues = pistas
10/17/08 4:20:23 PM
3. Quickly read the text to understand the general idea. Then underline the correct demonstrative pronoun given in parentheses. Take a look here! (This / These / Those) is my high school photo album. (This / These / That) three men were my teachers. (This / These / Those) one on the left was Mr. Peters. He was an excellent teacher. Everybody in the school loved him. (That / Those / This) woman on the right is Ms. Winslett, the principal. Look at (that / these / this) other four pictures. (That / These / This) are my parents and (these / that / those) little girl is my sister when she was three! She was so cute. Can you believe Mr. Peters is her teacher now! (That / This / These) last one is our summer vacation ten years ago. Can you guess which one is me? Source: Challenge. Amos, Prescher and Pasqualin. Richmond Publishing, 2006.
ll e h
he a ve
Almost everyone has
wish, but not
many people are able to make their wishes come true1. Once in ancient China,
4. Read the article once and then complete the text. Use a / an or Ø (no article).
strange wish. “I want to see the
hell before I die,” he used to say. Then, one day, his wish came true. When he was visiting full of
hell he saw
delicious food, but everyone was hungry and angry.
food, but had to sit far from the table because they
were forced to use very long chopsticks2. It was impossible for them to put any food into their mouths. When the man was visiting
heaven, he had
surprise. Everything looked the same:
big table full of
delicious food, people sitting far from the table, and using very long chopsticks to eat. It was exactly like
hell, but in
heaven the people were happy and well-fed . The difference is that in 3
heaven they have realized that
does not stop you feeding5 others!
make a wish come true = realizar um desejo chopsticks = hashi, pauzinhos 3 well-fed = bem alimentado 4 chain = corrente 5 feed = alimentar
• • •
Source: Graded English. Amos, Prescher & Pasqualin. Moderna, 2006.
10/17/08 4:20:26 PM