Texas Midwest 2022 Visitors Guide

Page 125

SEYMOUR

Population 2,660 (page 80) Seymour’s town site was settled in 1874 and incorporated in 1879. The community was settled by pioneers from Oregon who called the place Oregon City. When its post office was established in 1879, the name was changed to Seymour, reportedly for Seymour Munday, a local cowboy. The early days were lively because of conflicts between cowboys and settlers, which culminated in the killing of county judge in 1880. Seymour boomed after citizens raised $50,000 to encourage construction of the Wichita Valley line through the area in 1890; when the railroad built through, most residents of nearby Round Timbers moved to Seymour. The town grew again after the discovery of oil in the county in 1906. The 1890 railroad boom had been short-lived and the town corporation, organized in 1890, was dissolved in 1892 due to inability to meet obligations. With its economic revival in 1906, Seymour once again incorporated. A Cowboy Reunion and Rodeo has been held annually since 1896; thus making it the oldest continuously held rodeo reunion in Texas. City of Seymour, 940-889-0030, lbush@cityofseymour.org

SNYDER

Population 11,400 (page 84) Snyder is where buffalo hunter, J. Wright Mooar, killed one of only seven white buffalo ever seen in the U.S. The original hide is on display at the ranch home of Mooar’s granddaughter Judy Hays. The town was named after William Henry (Pete) Snyder on November 21, 1885. Sites in Scurry County include fields of snow-white cotton, herds of Texas cattle, miles of bobbing pump jacks bowing to past and present, oilrigs highlighting the terrain like magnificent monuments and wind farms with amazing views of wind turbines that mesmerize travelers along state highways connecting Snyder to nearby communities. You will see the most beautiful sunsets and starry nights your mind can imagine. Visit Snyder - the hospitality, like the warm and friendly sun, shines all year long! Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Center, 2302 Ave R, 325-573-3558, info@snyderchamber.org

SPUR, TX

Population 1,219 Spur is on State Highway 70 sixty miles east of Lubbock in southern Dickens County. The name is from the Spur Ranch, which formerly included the townsite. E. P. Swenson and his associates purchased the Spur Ranch in 1907 and began subdividing the land for sale to settlers. Charles Adam Jones, then manager of the Spur interest, played the leading role in persuading Daniel Willard, head of the Burlington Railroad, to route a proposed railway line northwest from Stamford through the future site of Spur. On November 1, 1909, the first train of the Stamford and Northwestern arrived at the new depot at Spur as the town was opened. Over 600 lots had been sold. The first businesses in town were the W. S. Campbell Mortuary and Furniture Store, which started operation ten days after the town opened, and the Spur Hardware and Furniture Company, managed by N. A. Baker. Other early business concerns included the Spur Inn, the furniture store of C. Hogan and Company, the Love Dry Goods Store owned by C. L. Love, the Brazelton-Pryor Lumber Company managed by F. W. Jennings, and the first newspaper, the Texas Spur, published by Oran McClure. The town was incorporated in 1911. The Spur school district grew from a one-room schoolhouse, which started in 1909. Professor St. John was the only teacher until the arrival of Miss Reavis from Haskell. By the mid-1980s the school district comprised nearly half the county. Despite the fact that Spur has been steadily losing businesses

TMCN Visitors Guide

123