Page 112

children; it was an honour to know and serve with him. Rest in peace, Mick.

Trooper George Morley Late The Life Guards by Major Brian Rogers, The Life Guards Tpr George Morley served with the Household Cavalry from 1941-1946. He was born on 10th February 1922 into a farming family at Sleights, North Yorkshire. George, despite being in a reserved occupation enlisted in The Life Guards, influenced by his Uncle Jack who had served before him. He attested at Scarborough on 20th March 1941, aged 19yrs 31 days and was posted to the Household Cavalry Training Regiment until 14th September, from where he was posted to 2HCR. He embarked for North West Europe with 2 HCR on the 11th September 1944 and served through France, Belgium, Holland and Germany and was subsequently awarded the ‘39-‘45 Star along with the France and Germany Star. At the end of the war he was cross-posted to 1 HCR on 17th August 1945 to The Life Guards as they reformed; he was eventually demobbed on the 17th January 1946. Over the radio George was known as “The girl with the golden voice” due to his higher pitched vocals. He was a despatch rider and armoured car driver in NW Europe, involved in the breakout from Vernon to Arras; at the end of the war he was in the force that met the Russians as the war in Europe came to an end. George kept in touch with many of the men he served with, and he and Hilary would visit many old comrades, and in return also host them in North Yorkshire. After the war he returned to farming and was a frequent visitor to Irish cattle markets. When he attended Roscommon Market in Ireland he was immediately recognised by the auctioneer, Jimmy Conry-Candler, whom George had last seen lying badly injured on the outskirts of Brussels. George and Jimmy stayed in touch and George went on to visit Jimmy on his numerous trips to Ireland. George was also an avid horseman; he

112 ■ Obituaries

would visit Ireland to purchase young stock which he would break in and sell on to the Police, for hunting, eventing and all equestrian disciplines. Growing up I knew George as the owner of the local riding stables, and I had no idea until after I had joined The Life Guards, that we shared that service in common. I last bumped into him at a recent Life Guards Association Dinner, which was the first one he had attended for a while. Like many wartime soldiers, he had attended the 2HCR Dinners and subsequent lunches, rather than the Association Dinner. George enjoyed many hunt meets and also hired horses out to local hunts and continued riding himself long after his official retirement age. He only really “retired” and moved away from his farm in 2014, into a bungalow aptly named Guardsgate, in Pickering. George died suddenly aged 94 on 3rd June 2016 and was cremated at East Riding Crematorium, Octon with donations going to The Life Guards Association Charitable Trust. He leaves behind his long term partner, Hilary, and he was the father of Christine, the late Richard, William and Robert as well as being a Grandfather and Great-Grandfather. He was dearly loved and will be sorely missed, and our thoughts and prayers go out to Hilary and his family.

Mr Royston William Vines Stokes Trooper 22078017, Royal Horse Guards Royston “Roy” Stokes was born on the 10th July 1930 in Bristol, an only child to Reginald and Evelyn Stokes. He had a happy childhood up until his father died when he was eight years old. He was then brought up by his mother and grandparents. He joined and served the Royal Horse Guards at the age of 18 years old, from 1947-1950. Also being called up again for Korea. But not being required. Good food, hard training and discipline set him up for life! His pride at being part of the family of Guards continued until his passing. After being demobbed, Roy carried on to have a very varied working life, from working in the boot factory’s in Kingswood, Bristol to being a milkman, salesman, driving instructor, a continental HGV 1 driver, taking Westland Helicopter parts down to Marseille, France. Following that he went on to become a machinist for British Aerospace, Filton for 11 years before taking early retirement. Not content with taking life easy he then became a Security Officer for a retail park until he was 78 years old, becoming the oldest guard in Bristol. His love of the Regiment stayed with him always and wore his blazer and guards tie with immense pride. For which myself, his daughter Anita and his granddaughters will carry this legacy with pride for the rest of our lives.

Household Cavalry Journal 2016  
Household Cavalry Journal 2016