Jimmy Carter (Oct. 1, 1924 to Present) 38th President of the United States
“America did not invent human rights. In a very real sense, human rights invented America.” — Jimmy Carter
Walter Mondale (Jan. 5, 1928 to Present) 42nd Vice President of the United States
• The end of manufacturing the VW Beetle after 30 years and 20 million cars • Gold reaches an all-time high of $200 per oz. • Bulgarian defector Georgi Markov assassinated by Bulgarian Secret Police using poisoned umbrella tip • Pope Paul VI dies at age 80 • John Paul I becomes Pope but dies just 33 days later • Cardinal Wojtyla becomes Pope John Paul II. • World population estimated at 4.4 billion
commit suicide in Guyana • Due to poor Cold War relations, U.S. bans sale of latest computer technology to Soviet Union • Three American balloonists make the first crossing of the Atlantic by hot air balloon in The Double Eagle • Karl Wallenda, founder of the Flying Wallendas, dies after falling off a tight rope
• Camp David Peace Treaty… Egypt makes peace with Israel • Teachers strike extends summer holiday for students • Dollar plunges to record low • Japanese car imports account for half the market following the energy crisis and fuel prices • Serial killer David Berkowitz, the “Son of Sam,” is sentenced to 25 years to live in prison
• U.S. stops production of the neutron bomb (kills people but leaves buildings and infrastructure standing) • Susan B. Anthony dollar is minted. • Roman Polanski flees to France just hours before he was to be formally sentenced for rape and other charges against a child • Cult leader Jim Jones instructed over 900 members of his church, “People’s Temple,” to
• Illinois Bell Company introduces the first ever cellular mobile phone system • Space Invaders launches craze for computer video games • First ever computer bulletin board system (BBS) is created • 98% of all American homes have a TV • First test tube baby is born
• The Washington Bullets beat the Seattle Supersonics for the NBA Championship title. • Dallas Cowboys beat the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl.
18 July 201315, THE PRESS Page 1815, June 2013MILITARY THE MILITARY PRESS
www.MilitaryPress.com • firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember When section of the Military Press highlights a different year in history every issue.