• 6.75 Richter scale earthquake in Ecuador kills 6,000 and destroys 50 towns
• Soviet Union tests its first atomic bomb • North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) established • Federal Republic of Germany
officially founded • Indonesia gains its independence from Netherlands • Berlin Airlift officially comes to an end on May 12th • The Communist People’s Repub-
lic of China is proclaimed under Mao Tse Tung • Republic of China / Taiwan on the island of Formosa comes into being following the defeat by Mao Tse Tung • The Geneva Convention is agreed providing an agreement on the treatment of prisoners
• RCA perfects a system for broadcasting color television • First Polaroid Camera sold for $89.95 • President Harry S. Truman authorizes $16 million in aid for Palestinian refugees • The Emmy Awards first presented • First Volkswagen Beetle The Peoples car sold in U.S. • The first car with a Porsche badge is shown at the International Automobile Show in Geneva (Porsche 356) • De-Havilland Comet first commercial passenger jet airliner test flight
• Apartheid made official policy of National party in South Africa • Newfoundland Joins Canada Confederation • NBA National Basketball Association forms
• The first automatic street lights are installed in New Milford, Connecticut • 45 rpm records • The world’s first commercially available computer, The Ferranti Mark 1, released
“I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.” – Harry S. Truman 30 November 1, 2012 THE MILITARY PRESS
remember when . . .
• George Orwell’s book “Nineteen Eighty-Four” is published • “’A’ Your Adorable” by Perry Como • “Mule Train” by Frankie laine • “Twelve O’Clock High” • Frank Sinatra stars in “On The Town” with Gene Kelly • Rodgers and Hammerstein debut the musical “South Pacific” on Broadway
Average cost of new house $7,450 Average wages per year $2,950 Cost of a gallon of gas 17¢ Average cost of a new car $1,420 Minimum hourly wage 70¢/hour Bacon per pound 50¢ Dobbs hat $8.50 Kitchen table and chairs $100
“You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.” – Harry S. Truman For advertising information, call (858) 537-2280
November 1, 2012 THE MILITARY PRESS 31
Remember When section of the Military Press highlights a different year in history every issue.