Core Syllabus Course Name: Word Processing Course Number: BCA 134 Class Location: Room 224
Instructor: Mrs. Susan Oehlertz
Phone: 841-5000 Ext. 158
Location: Business Room 224
1. Total Semester Hour Credit: 3 2. Catalog Description: This course will assist students in learning word processing from concept to comprehension. The primary goal is to instill confidence, build the skills and insight necessary to master the software application, develop a basic understanding of the concepts behind each task, and comprehend how different applications are often used interactively to complete a variety of tasks. Ability to type by touch is strongly recommended. This course is offered in the Flexlab. Prerequisite includes the ability to type by touch.
3. Textbook Required: Rutkosky, Nita and Audrey Rutkosky Roggencamp, Microsoft Word 2007, Paradigm Publishing Company, 2007, which includes one CD-ROM disk Signature 2007 disk.
4. Additional Course Information: Submit assignments as scheduled. Past experience by students has shown that if you get behind in submitting your homework, it can be difficult to get back on schedule. Set time aside in your schedule and stay on task. Complete and hand in assignments. A minimum of six (6) hours per week of computer time is recommended for students to complete assignments. When an assignment is complete, proofread it carefully before turning it in. Assignments should be clearly marked with your name, the chapter number and exercise name. All assignments and tests assigned must be completed or the student will earn a grade of no higher than a “D” for this course.
5. Grading Policy: If any assignment(s) and/or test(s) are not completed, the student will earn a grade of no higher than a “D” for this course.
Sixty percent (60%) of your final grade will be based on the Unit Performance Assessments and the five unit tests. Forty percent (40%) of your final grade will be based on the assignments. The grading scale used in this class will be: A B C D F
= = = = =
100 – 90% 89 – 80% 79 – 70% 69 – 60% 59% and below
6. Course (Student) Outcomes: On completion of the course the student will demonstrate the following skills: 1. Create, Print, and Edit Documents 2. Format Characters 3. Align and Indent Paragraphs 4. Customize Paragraphs 5. Proof Documents 6. Format Pages 7. Customize Page Formatting 8. Insert Elements and Navigate in a Document 9. Maintain Documents 10. Manage and Print Documents 11. Insert Images 12. Insert Shapes and Word Art 13. Create Tables 14. Create Charts 15. Merge Documents 16. Sort and Select 17. Manage Lists 18. Manage Page Numbers, Headers, and Footers 19. Insert Endnotes, Footnotes, and References 20. Create Specialized Tables 21. Create Forms
7. Chapter (Competencies) Outcomes: 1. Creating, Printing, and Editing Documents • Opening Microsoft Word • Creating, Saving, Printing, and Closing a Document • Creating a New Document • Saving Document with Save As • Exiting Word • Editing a Document • Selecting Text • Using the Undo and Redo Buttons • Using Help
2. Formatting Characters • Changing Fonts • Applying Styles from a Quick Styles Set • Applying a Theme • Adjusting Character Spacing 3. Aligning and Indenting Paragraphs • Changing Paragraph Alignment • Indenting Text in Paragraphs • Spacing Before and After Paragraphs • Repeating the Last Action • Formatting with Format Painter • Changing Line Spacing • Applying Numbering and Bullets • Revealing Formatting 4. Customizing Paragraphs • Inserting Paragraph Borders and Shading • Sorting Text in Paragraphs • Manipulating Tabs on the Ruler • Manipulating Tabs at the Tabs Dialog Box • Cutting, Copying, and Pasting Text • Using the Clipboard 5. Proofing Documents • Checking the Spelling and Grammar in a Document • Creating a Custom Dictionary • Displaying Word Count • Using the Thesaurus • Researching and Requesting Information 6. Formatting Pages • Changing the View • Changing the Page Setup • Inserting a Section Break • Creating Columns • Hyphenating Words • Inserting Line Numbers 7. Customizing Page Formatting • Inserting Page Elements • Inserting Predesigned Page Numbering • Inserting Predesigned Headers and Footers • Finding and Replacing Text and Formatting • Using the Click and Type Feature • Vertically Aligned Text 8. Inserting Elements and Navigating in a Document • Inserting Symbols and Special Characters • Creating a Drop Cap • Inserting the Date and Time • Inserting a File • Navigating in a Document
Inserting Hyperlinks Creating a Cross-Reference
• • • •
Maintaining Documents Maintaing Documents Changing Dialog Box Views Saving a Document in a Different Format Creating a Document Using a Template
• • • • •
Managing and Printing Documents Working with Windows Previewing a Document Printing Documents Creating and Printing Envelopes Creating and Printing Labels
• • •
Inserting Images Inserting an Image Inserting and Customizing a Pull Quote Creating SmartArt
• • • • •
Inserting Shapes and WordArt Drawing Shapes Charts Linking Text Boxes Selecting Objects Creating WordArt
13. Creating Tables • Creating a Table • Selecting Cells • Changing the Table Design • Drawing a Table • Inserting a Quick Table 15. Creating Charts • Creating a Chart • Changing Chart Design • Formatting Chart Layout • Changing Chart Formatting 16. • • • • •
Merging Documents Completing a Merge Merging Envelopes Editing a Date Source File Inputting Text during a Merge Using the Mail Merge Wizard
• • •
Sorting and Selecting Sorting Text Sorting Records in a Data Source Selecting Records
18. • • • •
Manage Lists Inserting Custom Numbers and Bullets Inserting Multilevel List Numbering Inserting Special Characters Finding and Replacing Special Characters
• • • •
Managing Page Numbers, Headers, and Footers Customizing Page Numbers Inserting Headers and Footers Printing Sections Keeping Text Together
26. Inserting Endnotes, Footnotes, and References • Creating Footnotes and Endnotes • Creating Citations and Bibliographies 28. Creating Specialized Tables • Creating a Table of Contents • Creating a Table of Figures • Creating a Table of Authorities 29. Creating Forms • Creating a Form • Inserting Text Controls • Filling a Form Document • Editing a Form Template • Creating Forms Using Tables • Inserting Instructional Text • Creating Drop-Down Lists