Page 3

Wantirna was first settled in 1840 when Mrs. Madeline Scott established the "Bushy Park" cattle run on the banks of the Dandenong Creek. During the 1870s other pioneers opened up the area to settlement. In 1912 the need for a school to serve the local area soon became apparent in this small but fast-growing area; the Finger family donated two acres of land on the southern side of Mountain Hwy (then known as Wantirna-Sassafrass Rd) and a timber schoolhouse was opened. The Finger and Fankhauser families were prime movers in the erection of the Methodist Church opened opposite the school in May 1914, and a Parish Hall was built on Burwood Highway in 1924. Wantirna Post Office opened on 1 November 1913, closed in 1977, and reopened in 1983. The Wantirna Reserve was provided by the council in 1925 and a tennis court was built there shortly afterwards. In December 1939, after the outbreak of World War II, West Prussia Road was renamed Wantirna Road Biggin & Scott (Knox) Wantirna Suite 8/426 Burwood Highway, Wantirna South (03) 9800 1413 wantirna@bigginscott.com.au

Y A M Y 19 MA AY 25 RD Y TU A SA FRID –

WANTIRNA

Biggin & Scott Abode Magazine: May 19th 2018  
Biggin & Scott Abode Magazine: May 19th 2018