RB Boosters • AD Zeman presents, annually, as a not for profit and states that contributions are deductible • They supplement the athletic budgets • Many dedicated volunteers work very hard
Illinois Secretary of State • RIVERSIDE-BROOKFIELD HIGH SCHOOL BOOSTERS ASSOCIATION •
Type of Corp
Incorporation Date (Domestic) 12/20/1954
NOT GOOD STANDING CORPORATION
Zeman Requested Assistance • File past due IRS form 990’s • Report finances • Lawyer to bring corporate filing current • Insurance issues
Recruited help • Some records were provided • Some bank accounts not disclosed • Some questionable transactions- related parties, unusual vendors/amounts
Insurance- Beer on the golf course (Do students participate?)
• AD suggested that we get a policy but hold check until we know if it was needed. If not, then cancel. • Members suggested that Host Liquor Liability could be added as an endorsement or a special event policy purchased. • Also suggested that food service function be insured due to risk. • Was insurance put in place?
Favored Suppliers • The boosters approved $3000 for the BWC • AD Zeman pushed the BWC to purchase projector from his son. • The boosters increased the budget to cover the more expensive projector • Facts were misrepresented • Critical questions were not answered
A click away from a better price
Political Contributions/Loans • Athletic funds were paid, on three occasions to a political fund run by insiders • The funds recorded as a loan were never recovered • Other funds came from a “missing bank account” (AD Zeman’s description).
Boosters checking account • 1/13/2006 2752 CITIZENS FOR RB Referendum Purchase:Donation ($5,000.00)
• 5/4/2006 2783 CITIZENS FOR RB Loan for outstanding expenses Misc:RB REFERENDUM ($8,000.00)
• Riverside Brookfield Boosters $5,000.00 2/1/2006 Individual Contribution
• Riverside Brookfield Boosters $2,800.00 3/9/2006 Individual Contribution
• Riverside Brookfield Boosters $8,000.00 5/12/2006 Individual Contribution Not recorded as a loan as presented
Sports Money Used for Politics Boosters
Citizens for RBHS # 13267
Political Committee (recorded as a loan)
No account provided
Booster Parents • We contributed to a not-for-profit, as represented by AD. • Money was for our kids sports. • Boosters should not make political contributions. • The political committee should not have accepted money from Boosters.
Bill McCloskey, Chairman
Tim Scanlon, Assistant Chairman
William McCloskey, Chairman Gary Zeleney, Treasurer
The largest expense was for Unicom Arc, St Louis, Mo. who was paid about half the fund. They were fully financed by our kidsâ€™ sports money.