WHY IT’S ALL THE RAGE TO STAGE “I could see myself preparing a healthy dinner for my family in this kitchen.” “This would be a great room to have family movie-night.” “I could sleep so well in this bedroom, and our furniture will fit perfectly!”
his is the kind of internal dialogue you want
buyers to have when they walk through your
• Place nothing on your counter except one or two dec-
home. When listing a home, a seller should
do everything possible to help buyers see themselves actually living in the house. One of the best ways to encourage this vision is through staging your house. Seventy-one percent of sellers’ agents believe a
• Freshen up and modernize cabinets with a fresh coat of paint or stain. • Clean or replace appliances. The Real Estate Staging Association strongly recommends stainless steel.
well-staged environment increases the dollar value
Tip: You can get the look of stainless for the cost
buyers are willing to offer, according to the Nation-
of a cheap dinner with stainless films.
al Association of REALTORS® “2015 Profile of Home Staging.” While staging isn’t guaranteed to get you more
• Remove all refrigerator magnets, and clean inside and out. BEDROOMS
money, it is an important marketing tool to help you
• Use neutral colors. This is not the place to show-
compete at the right price, which means you can sell
case your unique tastes and personality. Think
faster, according to a study from the Real Estate Stag-
clean, neutral and modern.
ing Association. Don’t stop at simply cleaning your home and fluffing
• Pack up most of your clothing to make your closets look larger.
your pillows. You need to declutter; remove items that
• Put jewelry and other valuables in a safe spot.
are unique to your family and make updates wherever
• Remove televisions or video game consoles to de-
possible. That cozy afghan grandma made for you in
personalize and create a serene setting.
1981? Yes, fold it and put it in the closet. And speak-
ing of closets, buyers open them up, so make sure
• Set out some chic place settings around the table,
they are well-organized, too. No one wants to envision themselves living in a messy or cluttered home. Here are a few tips to help you stage and beautify
or a few wine glasses and a decanter on the buffet. • Strike a balance between overly formal and too casual with an attractive runner and a few deco-
your home for sale:
rative elements — think small floral vases or short
• Use fashionable pillows and chic table lamps to decorate. Arrange them in a symmetrical manner. • Use light and airy staging furniture or place light-colored slip covers over sofas. • Remove at least one piece of furniture from your living room to make it feel more spacious. • Arrange furniture in conversational groupings; leave out a bowl of fruit and few nice coffee table books. 32
orative items, such as a vase of flowers or fresh fruit.
BATHROOMS • Spend extra time scrubbing tile grout and re-caulk around the tub if necessary. • Remove clutter from the countertop, tub and top of toilet. • Pack up and hide all your personal products. • Create a luxury spa look with a fancy soap dispenser, fluffy white towels and decorative baskets.