Page 1

1

Queen Margaret Union  Meeting of the Board of Management Meeting 12: 16th April 2012  1.    Sederunt  Executive: C. Fraser, K. Hill Convenors: N. Ballantyne, L. Clarke, P. Hughes, E. Munro, L. Porterfield Elects: J. Ansell, R. Callaghan, L. Hinton, P. Kelly, T. Kelly, E. Murphy  Ordinary Board: A. Black, H. Brand, A. Compton, K. Irvine, R. Male, A. McAllister, S. McFarland, J. Reid, C.  Sutcliffe, E. Zhdanov Staff Representative: M. Lafferty General Manager: A. McConachie Honoraries: G. Stewart  2.    Apologies  L. Hainey, I. Smith, A. Johnson and M. Bruce have submitted apologies.  3.    Addition    of    Agenda    Items  ­  4.    Minutes    of    the    Previous    Meeting  ACTION POINT: E. Munro and N. Ballantyne to meet re: council hustings. Completed ACTION POINT: E. Munro to get all 4 colours of glowsticks. Completed ACTION POINT: L. Porterfield to meet C. Fraser and E. Murphy re: Question of the Week. Completed ACTION POINT: T. Kelly to clarify qmunicate Unity source. Completed ACTION POINT: C. Fraser to send all available Strat Plan Committee minutes to L. Porterfield. Completed (6.4) Reports: Honorary Assistant Secretary S. McFarland: What training are you referring to? C. Fraser: General Board training that will now likely take place the weekend after helper  Motion to pass Minutes of Board of Management Meeting 11: 12/03/12. Prop: R. Callaghan Sec: L. Clarke PASSED  5.    Minutes    from    other    meetings  5.1 Finance Committee 07/03/2012 (8.1) Wi­Fi E. Zhdanov: What is the wifi fee for? K. Hill: Upkeep for the hardware that distributes the signal. (4) Mardi Gras T. Kelly: Are there any successes that we can take from this event? K. Hill: People were drawn to the drink deals, particularly those involving free merchandise. R. Callaghan: People like beads, masks etc. Motion to pass the minutes of the Finance Committee 07/03/12 Prop: C. Fraser Sec: E. Murphy PASSED 5.2 Finance Committee 21/03/2012 (5.2) Mace

interviews.


2 G. Stewart: Has this been returned to us yet? K. Hill: No. (4) 2012­13 Budget R. Callaghan: What does 'games' refer to, and why is there a projected decrease? A. McConachie: Pool etc. in the bars – this is the pattern we are observing currently. S. McFarland: Will Jim's only be open 5­6? K. Hill: No, will be open from 5­6. Motion to pass the minutes of the Finance Committee 21/03/12 Prop: C. Fraser Sec: L. Hinton PASSED  6.    Reports  Replies given by report author unless otherwise stated. 6.1 General Manager's Report to the Executive Submitted by A. McConachie (1.4) Bar Prices G. Stewart: has the price of Tennent's been affected by the rise? ­ Yes, reverted to £1.80 as of this morning. (1.7) C7 Church Block Booking L. Porterfield: Is there doubt as to the repeat of this arrangement next year? ­ Don't know yet – I will be talking to both C7 and the incoming executive about this. C7 are  looking for  a permanent home right now, but we have the opportunity to host them for a  while longer while they do this. (1.5) Late License Applications R. Callaghan: What is the late license on May 18th for? K. Hill: The end­of­exam party. (1.7) C7 Church Booking A. Compton: What 'mixed feelings' have there been? ­ Some Board, Clubs and Societies have experienced disruption with bookings, and attitude to  the Board.  These issues will have to be raised in negotiations. Use of the building on Sundays  is absolutely minimal. E. Zhdanov: What time do the church have Qudos until? ­ The agreement basically says the have it for all Sunday ­ nominally 11pm. E. Munro: They are normally done by 8pm. ­ They have the venue cleared by 10, usually. We have to see the big picture here – there are  few people  in here on Sunday and this income is very significant. We can find ways to work  around the booking. J. Ansell: This is not just a Sunday issue – we get noise complaints on Wednesday. K. Hill: That's the CU, not C7. (1.6) QMU Live L. Porterfield: How is this being organised? Are we expecting money from this event? ­ This is part of an ongoing programme to generate interest in live music in the Union. There  were two  planned events – the other fell through. We have a significant lead­time on this  event. Obviously we can't heavily  subsidise events like these – we are expecting to at least  break even. (1.7) C7 Church Booking E. Munro: What is the situation on Freshers' Week Sundays? ­ At the moment there cannot be a booking at the start of the week. We will discuss the  following Sunday  when plans for the week have crystallised. 6.2 President


3 Submitted by K. Hill (2.3.2) Meetings: Charles Kennedy C. Fraser: Can you give a verbal report on this meeting's outcome? ­ Not a lot came from this. It was, as usual, very GUU­centric. They will be out of the Hive for  a year in  exchange for a purpose­built new facility, and significant compensation package. We  have suggested a counter­ development in the QM – this got a positive reaction, but I do not  expect this support to be taken much  further. ACTION POINT: K. Hill to email C. Kennedy for handbook introduction (2.4) Handover K. Hill: Be very aware that time is fast running out – we need to hit the ground running next year so can  comprehensive handovers please start now. 6.3 Honorary Secretary Submitted by L. Hainey (3.1) Clubs and Socs A. McConachie: How is L. Hinton progressing with the clubs and societies event? L. Hinton: There is a cheese and wine event on 14/05 arranged. It will push 2012­13  affiliation and  block bookings. Any help is welcome. K. Irvine: Will you only be in touch with affiliated organisations or are you branching out? L. Hinton: Initially the former, followed by the latter. (3.2) Life membership G. Stewart: Are there any developments on this? K. Hill: Nothing material. (3.1) Clubs & Socs J. Ansell: Have we thought of expanding upon the supporters' clubs idea? L. Hinton: I will be meeting A. Compton – who has expressed interest in this area – on  pushing the sports  programme. ACTION POINT: A. Compton, J. Ansell & L. Hinton to meet re: Sports. L. Porterfield: Have you considered producing documentation outlining the facilities and perks of affiliation? L. Hinton: This is definitely something I want to do. (3.4) President's Dinner A. McConachie: The office staff can address and send these invitations. Also, have the invitations been spell­ checked? ACTION POINT: C. Fraser to spell­check President's Dinner invitations E. Zhdanov: Should we start preparing RSVPs? C. Fraser: You haven't been invited yet. 6.4 Honorary Assistant Secretary Submitted by C. Fraser (4.1) Training P. Kelly: Have you considered the helper interviews vs. training clash? ­ Yes, this will be rescheduled to the next weekend. (4.4) Freshers' Week A. McConachie: When is Freshers' Week Committee? ­ Probably next Monday. We need to collate all the information gathered from the various 

surveys


4 sent to committees, prospective freshers and helpers. S. McFarland: How many helpers will there be? ­ A cap of 100, but essentially as many applicants as are up to standard. K. Irvine: Are there many first­time applicants? ­ Surprisingly so, yes. A high number of international students also, which is a very promising  ACTION POINT: T. Kelly, L. Hinton and C. Fraser to meet re: Freshers' Week 

sign.

publications.

L. Porterfield: What is the volume of response to the surveys? ­ A fairly wide response from most committees. We also have 150 helper responses to this  aspect.  The prospective freshers' responses have been very limited – can the Board please  push this to anyone they  can think of. 6.5 Campaigns & Charities Submitted by E. Munro [E. Munro submites 2011­12 review and 2012­13 plan – the committee were consulted on the strenghts,  weaknesses, opportunities etc. for the committee. This is not a finished document – any input would be more than  welcome. K. Hill: This is a good example of the kind of review that needs to be carried out by each  committee  in preparation for the AGM, and handover. Would appreciate if the Elects were  very much involved with the  compilation of such reviews. (5.4.1) Council Hustings C. Fraser: At what stage of organisation is this event? E. Munro: We definitely have 4 candidates booked, and are still looking for more. C. Fraser: This would definitely beneift from advertising to the wider G12 community. E. Munro: Already working on that. A. McConachie: Is there more than one of these events? E. Munro: Yes. Time constraints have limited how we can run this. Will definitely looking to  future if this is successful, though.

expand for 

6.6 Events Submitted by P. Kelly. Responses by L. Clarke. G. Stewart: Is there a Cheesy this week? ­ Yes, the event is up online. Would appreciate if Board could push this as much as possible. (6.2.2) St. Paddy's Day J. Ansell: The building clear ran for this event was not a great move – people had been here all day and would have  stayed longer. A. McConachie: I agree this was regrettable, but the contract with the promoter would have  had the  Union charged for every person left in the building. G. Stewart: Was this event financially worse off? A. McConachie: Yes, a bit – the cost of stewarding mainly accounted for this spend. We had  expected  more people from the promoter – they did as well. People had been out all day,  though. We will learn from this. L. Hinton: Has there been feedback from the promoter? Is there a possible future here? ­ Not that I know of. A. McConachie: They are still interested despite the event – nature of the business. We will  discuss  opportunities as they come. 6.7 Ordinary Board Submitted by L. Porterfield (7.2) Question of the Week R. Callaghan: I thought we weren't to run facebook polls as they are too annoying? ­ There is a balance to be struck, but these polls are definitely an option for us. K. Hill: The recent Food Factory poll got a positive response.


5 A. McConachie: Are we not sacrificing the face­to­face aspect of surveying if we do this? ­ We plan to survey people face­to­face in conjunction with the web versions. K. Hill: Different answerers would give us a different range of data. (7.1) PR Projects C. Fraser: Can we put the new Food Factory posters up in the library? ­ Yes, we will pick some of these up. K. Hill: Can we take down the £1.60 Tennent's posters wherever we see them? Also, can Ord. Board please attend  committees – this is a requirement of your remit. 6.8 Publications Submitted by T. Kelly (8.5.3) Full Colour E. Munro: What should this blank space say? N. Ballantyne: We are investigating whether full colour is an option for next year. (8.2.3) Content T. Kelly: The good feature mentioned here is no longer happening – we were relying on someone to submit this on  time. They didn't. S. McFarland: Why? N. Ballantyne: We need to have a stern word with the committee re: the importance of  deadlines. ACTION POINT: N. Ballantyne, T. Kelly and executive to meet re: next issue of 

qmunicate.

6.9 Social Submitted by P. Hughes (9.1) Unplugged N. Ballantyne: How are you planning to promote this as a place to relax and study? ­ Mainly by word of mouth. (9.2) DJs in Jim's S. McFarland: Do you have an idea of the numbers for this event? ­ Not really. I will check tomorrow. (9.3) BWNPQ E. Zhdanov: Are the new hosts taking over now? ­ Yes, straight away. They are being supervised by J. Ansell, but the transition is sorted. Motion to pass Reports to the Board of Management  16/04/2012 Prop: C. Fraser Sec: L. Porterfield PASSED 7. Affiliation ­  8.  Life Membership Applications     ­  9.  Strategic Plan      [K. Hill submits Strategic Plan update We have started to gather finance details as to set targets for commercial areas, and gather relevant sections of  CBP for the introduction and guidance sections. The online board SWOT survey will be added. ACTION POINT: K. Hill to send SWOT survey to incoming Board Members, and results to all Board Members

external survey 


6

We have used the responses to the external survey to address what areas need promoted and focussed on.  Retention of those who already use the building to a small degree needs to improved. 9.1 Events & Social Space The balance between maintaining and improving current events and investigating new ones will be examined. K.  Hill will specifically look into targets for the latter.  Additionally, a section more specifically looking into co­running events with affiliated clubs & societies was  suggested. 9.2 Community This aspect of the Strat Plan will acknowledge the QM in a wider community aspect. We should be wary of setting a  numerical target for campaigns – we should want to be involved in these for more fundamental reasons. The postgrad/mature student sections should acknowledge other recent developments on campus – our focus will  be less to provide dedicated space, and more about working these groups into the Union community. We may  consider inviting the GUSRC postgraduate representative to Board/executive meetings. There is a target to look into working specific officer positions onto the board as part of the strategy to work minority  groups into the Union. Whether this would be internally/externally elected etc. is to be discussed by future Boards.  We are still to find an effective way of attracting international students outside of the society. Additionally, restructuring the executive committee is a discussion to be had ahead of the upcoming AGM and going  forward. 9.3 Individual Development We have already secured academic accreditation for those involved in the Union. We will have to set out a criteria  for whom gets this benefit. This could also be a good way to promote involvement in the running of the Union. ACTION POINT: K. Hill and convenors to meet re: accreditation criteria The proposed peer­to­peer learning system would run much like last term's First Aid session: we would look for  relative experts from within the membership and affiliates to offer training in certain areas. The proposed summer  courses for those who want to learn more advanced aspects of technical operation are a good example of this. Overall, the strategic planning committee will now be working on individual goals in greater depth, and producing  Mission/Vision/Values CBP in order to serve as an introduction in the short term.  10.  AGM 2012     This will be held on Wednesday 16th May at 5pm in the Food Factory. K. Hill requests that all reports be submitted  at least two weeks in advance. 11. Budget Submission This was submitted to the University last week. The projected year­end figure is a staggering deficit of around £60k,  based on optimistic performance models in each commercial area. Obviously this is not a good position to be in.  This year's budget was to be ­£1k. We are currently expecting to come in at ­£83k, if we're lucky. Every event, every service and every aspect of the Union needs to be pushed and supported by the Board and  those who help us. We cannot afford any less. People are already losing jobs, and the departments are already  losing aspects that have existed for years, such as Jim's Bar being open during the day. There will be no  passengers. It is possible to look at this as a positive opportunity – gradual improvement is a good enough start: 5 more people  to each Social event, more life members at least partially involved, and more clubs and societies through the door.  Freshers' Week must be delivered on time, with full backing, and of highest quality, in order to get people back in.  Just 5­10% more effort and time from everyone is enough to start improving our services. Each committee meeting  and each event has an influence on the future of the organisation – for each fulfilled manifesto pledge, each  delivered special event and every new face involved, our state is slightly reversed. 12. AOCB 12.1 CBP There will be several CBP meetings in order to prepare changes for the AGM, hopefully with as much Board 


7 support as possible. ACTION POINT: C. Fraser to update online version of CBP documents ACTION POINT: E. Murphy to schedule CBP meeting  14.    Action    Points    arising  ACTION POINT: K. Hill to email C. Kennedy for handbook introduction ACTION POINT: A. Compton, J. Ansell & L. Hinton to meet re: Sports. ACTION POINT: C. Fraser to spell­check President's Dinner invitations ACTION POINT: T. Kelly, L. Hinton and C. Fraser to meet re: Freshers' Week publications. ACTION POINT: N. Ballantyne, T. Kelly and executive to meet re: next issue of qmunicate. ACTION POINT: K. Hill to send SWOT survey to incoming Board Members, and external survey results to all Board  Members ACTION POINT: K. Hill and convenors to meet re: accreditation criteria ACTION POINT: C. Fraser to update online version of CBP documents ACTION POINT: E. Murphy to schedule CBP meeting  15.    Date    of    next    meeting  The next meeting of the Board of Management shall convene at 5.30pm on Monday the 30th of April 2012.

Meeting 12 minutes  

Minutes of the meeting of the Board of Management that took place on 16th April 2012.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you