Issuu on Google+

Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

Queen Margaret Union Reports to the Board of Management Meeting 9: 11/02/2013 General Manager President Honorary Secretary Honorary Assistant Secretary Campaigns & Charities Current Student Representatives Events Publications Social

Submitted Submitted Submitted Submitted Submitted Submitted Submitted Submitted Submitted

1. General Manager’s Report to the Executive Committee 1.1 Block Grant Funding There has been some movement on this issue over the last week in that we have received confirmation that our suspended funding is to be released. The correspondence from the University still highlighted their concerns about the QM Union moving forward and this is something the Board of Management will have to address within the next two months. 1.2 Finance Update I have submitted a copy of the December Management Accounts to the University and stressed they are only internal management account. They provisionally suggest we have made a significant improvement on the £16K loss reported last year, indeed a surplus of around £50K is shown. The Honorary Treasurer will be reporting on the Interim Accounts to 31st December 2012 to the Board of Management next month. The start of this year has however been rather disappointing with sales across all trading areas down by over 10%. Significant costs reductions should however reduce any likely losses for the month of January, which is historically, a difficult trading period. Attendance at Cheesy Pop is down this term which is a reversal on the success of first term. Looking forward, both February and March are very busy months for us and it is hoped that we can build this momentum going forward. There are only a few dates available in the calendar and we are working hard to see if we can fill as many as possible. The next couple of months will be an exciting time in the QM Union and having an election in the middle of this period will only add to the fun. 1.3 SuperBowl The event was a big success and I believe the numbers who attended the night justified my decision to show the event in Qudos rather than Champions Bar. We had over 220 in for the event and by 1am only 14 had left the building. Bar income was up on last year and despite two customers complaining about the choice of venue I understand everyone else had a great time and enjoyed a thrilling game – blackout and all. 1.4 Best Bar None Seminar I attended this seminar which was run by Glasgow Community & Safety Services and while the time of the event was not ideal it was very interesting evening. The session on Crime Scene Management by DS Douglas Robertson was most informative and will go a long way in helping me write a procedure for us to implement. Other sessions on Duty of Care and the SOS Bus & Street Pastors will also give us a few ideas on how to be more responsive to our customers. It was interesting to see all the big operators from the city in attendance and G1 Group were constantly mentioned with regard to best practice. The use of a grab bag was a good example 1

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

where we can make improvements to our own procedures. There is now a Best Bar None App and a website on which we need to get the QM Union listed. There are plans for a Best Bar None Week and the 2013 launch will be on Wednesday 17th April. It was also made clear by Constable Euan Baillie that standards are continuing to rise and that premises will have to develop and improve if they hope to retain their existing award and work even harder if they hope to step up a category. The challenge has been set and the Queen Margaret Union now needs to respond. 1.5

Charity Fashion Show (November 2012) We have received a very nice letter from the course co-ordinators of the Business & Bioscience course to thank us for our help and support of their students at the above event. They raised over £1,000 on the night and are keen to make this an annual event. They will also be showcasing the students’ efforts at a seminar in March and have promised to acknowledge our help and support. 1.6 Video Juke Box The installation timetable has slipped somewhat but I have been in contact with the supplier and he has placed the kit on order and is hopeful of installation within the next week or so. 1.7 Fire Evacuation Training Following our recent Fire Evacuation there is a clear need for renewed training. I have already carried out a refresher training session with most of the departmental managers and those who missed out will have their training this week. I hope to re-train all the reception staff by Friday 22nd February and plans are in place for every other member of staff to be re-trained before the end of term. It would be beneficial if all members of the Board also had some refresher training and I am happy to carry this out at the earliest opportunity. Given the numbers involved it would be best to run two sessions. I will await a response from the Honorary Assistant Secretary and if required agree a couple of dates. I expect early evening would suit most people best. 1.8 Trade Union Representative Stephen Bailie, Regional Organiser from the GMB Trade Union was in on Tuesday 29th January to recruit new members for the trade union. We still have a very low trade union membership but I believe he was successful on this occasion in increasing his membership. 1.9 Staff Consultative Committee The third meeting of the committee was on Tuesday 29th January and discussed a range of issues including; concerns over the recent fire evacuation procedure, “gunging events”, poor use of the telephone system and the need for training. The next meeting is schedule for during the week beginning 4th March. 1.10 Payroll RTI This new process goes live in April with the new tax year and involves providing weekly information to HMRC. I have now attended a training course on the new system and intend to get at least one other member of staff trained in payroll to provide for succession management. 1.11 Employee of the Month (January 2013) Nominations closed for this award last week and after careful consideration of the nomination forms Terry McNulty from the bar received the award for January. Terry will now automatically be entered into the Employee of the Year award which will be decided in May. 1.12 Catering Initiative The catering depart decided to take some samples out onto campus on Thursday morning and 2

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

distributed around 50 taster portions of noodles. They were well received and initial responses were generally that people did not know our location or that we offered a wide range of food. When we do this again we will probably distribute cards with a discount voucher to measure the uptake of the promotion. It was a good idea and will help raise our profile around campus. 2. President's Report 2.1 Return of the block grant. This is a very positive development. This was principally due to the plan which you should all have received (and read) at the close of last week. The process of developing the areas will be something that we will be working a lot on in the coming months, particularly with the new executive committee. We will soon have the opportunity to inflict lasting and significant improvement upon the building and the organisation, and – while it should be well-considered and planned – it should most definitely be sooner rather than later. All in all, a pleasant and constructive outcome to the process, but I maintain that the same could have been achieved (if not more) without the ugly spectre of £67k held over our heads like the incredibly ominous proverbial stick to. The last thing I have to add at this point is a to thank everyone throughout the Union and University who helped the process, notably the General Manager who has devoted an enormous amount of time and effort to the negotiation and development of the Sust Plan. 2.2 Survey I will be presenting a short overview of the survey results to the Board (with paper accompaniment) on Monday. Suffice to say here that there are things that we can change and develop, and some things (the building) that we – largely – work in spite of. I have already started moving on consulting with the appropriate persons in some areas. 2.3 Election This is being announced. If you intend to resign, please do so before the meeting so we can call your seat. Good luck to all, and please encourage all and sundry to run – I'm concerned about the amount of CSR seats up for contest, so push push push anyone thinking of getting on Board to run for these seats. Forgive the broken record act, but please remember that – whatever you're running for – there are still your current roles to fulfil. I cannot abide electioneering – however minor – in the building, and particularly in Board areas. Please, for all that is holy, refrain from even coming close to slandering anyone, running, current, or past. Remember that you are still working with all of the people around the Board table and beyond, and that – for whatever reason – you will have to look them in the eye on an always daily basis. I think that just about covers everything. If you have an concerns, questions or complaints, myself and E. Murphy are fairly versed in this and welcome the conversation. 2.4 Third term developments Myself and the Executive have been discussing several ways to 'shake up' some ingrained practices, and a new Board and third term will give us a chance to trial some of these. If anyone has any suggestions re: anything from duty to day-to-day, from board areas to committee rooms, please do not hesitate to speak up. I am also going to arrange open training sessions for members in this period. My current list comprises design software, first aid, DJing and tech (and I need to speak to all appropriate persons – Action Point) – if anyone else can think of any, please speak up. L. Hinton's development on the life members' dinner is coming along swimmingly, and the 3

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

inclusion of this in the University's alumni update has garned a lovely response from people who have not heard from the Union in many years. 2.5 Online I have delegated some facebook posting privileges to people more knowledgeable than myself of the days' events – notably social and sport, and this seems to be going well. I am writing a style guide such that we can all be of roughly the same 'voice'. I wish I had done this sooner, but we plough ever onwards. 2.6 Thank yous I keep meaning to have a meaningful think about rewarding the folk who go over and above – often thanklessly – every day, and promise to do this soon (Action Point). In the meantime, many thanks to R. Callaghan for working a ton on RAG Week, E. Jewson for focusing on some of the less glamorous areas of the building, S. Strausz for the 6 Nations PR, everyone who contributed to the outrageous success that was Superbowl and – as ever – Suki. 3. Honorary Secretary 3.1 Clubs and Societies 3.1.1 Club and Society Affiliation Apologies that I cannot attend the meeting today. I am sure C.Fraser and E.Murphy can answer any questions but if not feel free to drop me an email (or just grab me when I am back) Clubs to be affiliated today are: Scottish Literature Society GU Psychology Society 3.1.2 Clubs and Societies Speed Dating at SRC Thank you very much for C.MacInnes, E.Jewson and R.Callaghan for coming with me to this event. It was not very well attended but it was a great opportunity to talk to the societies that were there. Most of them were already affiliated with us so it was more about encouraging them to hold their events in the union rather than encouraging affiliation. Despite the fact that it was not that well attended this year I would recommend that we attend the next one, if there is to be one, all the same. 3.2 Life Membership Meeting 01/02/13: 5 Board Members - E. Murphy, L. Hinton, C. MacInnes, K. Simmons, T. Kelly 3.2.1 Life Membership Dinner I am currently in the process of looking for printers for menus and tickets. I aim to have the tickets ready to be sold by the next board meeting. The reception of the dinner has been very encouraging. It seems the alumni newsletter has encouraged many old board members to get in touch and all seem interested in getting some groups together for the event in May. It has not been more widely advertised yet but I am encouraged by these first steps. 3.2.2 New Life Members (Do not need to be passed – Automatic or Card Renew) Ruth Sharp (nee O’Beirne) 1974/5 President Helen McEwan Stephen D Strowes Patricia Thomson (nee Smith) Annabelle Gray Susan E. Fogg Stephen Rixon Muriel Bone Norma Denny 4

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

4. Honorary Assistant Secretary 4.1 Training In the last fortnight, I offered tech training to those who were interested on an ask and you shall receive basis. On Tuesday evening last week, two board members and one committee member who was in the building took the opportunity to run through basic microphone and auxiliary input set-up of equipment in Jim's Bar. I am confident in their ability to work the system now, and I am hopeful they found it a useful half hour or so. If anyone else is interested in tech training, either on a basic or more advanced level, please just ask me and if I cannot help you then I shall find someone who can. Again on the topic of training, thank you to L. Hinton who has been in contact with GU Red Cross to organise first aid training for the board at the beginning of next month. This training will be following the election, and as such will be delivered to a new board. Apologies to those of you who came on towards the end of last year and are now leaving without some of the training you may have hoped for. I am sorry that some elements of your training were overlooked in the intervening months. With a new board fast approaching, if anyone would like to give me input for topics or content of training, pleas do not hesitate to contact me. I have ideas regarding union structure, budgeting and general financial aspects to be delivered to the entire board. Specifics for convenor roles shall be looked at in the next few months. 4.2 Constitution, Bye-Laws and Policy Meeting 01/02/13: 6 Board Members: E. Murphy, L. Hinton, K. Simmons, C. MacInnes, T. Kelly, A. Compton Submitted for this meeting are policy amendments for the job descriptions of the executive and campaigns & charities convenor. I have spoken with the publications convenor who is content with their description. I have not given a full explanation of all of the points in the document, but if there are any questions please ask and myself, Lauren or Colum will happily try to answer them. Once some more election documents are sorted, I plan to look into the discipline section of Bye-Laws, with input from those who have concerns. Many changes are hard to generate on your own, and I am reluctant to do so as the documents are meant to represent the board's ideas. 4.3 Election This is happening. I have met with the events manager over the last few weeks who has helped produce some art work, and we now have several different designs coming in A1 to decorate the windows of Qudos and the foyer. Around fifty A3 posters should be printed for distribution around campus, and I will be monitoring this closely along with A. Compton to make sure that this essential PR is going out. 4.4 Internet This is becoming a broken record in my report. I have still not heard anything, and have unfortunately and annoyingly overlooked it in my free time. I want to action point myself on this to visit the library help desk and see if I can organise a 5

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

meeting in person. Ultimately I would like to have action on this ready for the Easter holidays at the latest so that development of the network may be in place for the study period. 4.5 Review I have spoken with a few board members in the last two weeks about their experiences on board. I want to try and collate a general opinion of the board regarding a few aspects of board in general. Part of this I hope to raise at the meeting as it is an opportunity to gain the opinion of everyone, but in general I would like to hear from people about the ups and downs of being on board, as well as any areas of improvement. So if anyone at anytime has anything to say about the board, please let me know by any method. I have a long term plan (for the Easter holidays) to reconsider the entire structure of the board and how it operates on a daily basis, to hopefully improve productivity and atmosphere. 5. Campaigns & Charities Sedurunts: 28th January - 8 Board Members: R.Callaghan, C. MacInnes S. McFadden, K. Simmons, C. Cuthbertson, B. Johnston, A. Kattenhorn, K. Stevenson, & 8 members 4th February - 8 Board Members: R.Callaghan, C. MacInnes, K. Simmons, S. McFadden, B. Male, S. Strausz, K. Stevenson, A. Compton & 10 ordinary members Last 2 weeks 5.1 Condom service The service has been going well & due to committee request we have decided to start an hour earlier on Fridays so now all three days are running 12-4. 5.2 Fundraising This has picked up a bit after a lull in the end of last semester, many thanks to the board members that have been helping out. There was an issue at the last Cheesy however as there were an outside group (SVA) who had been allowed to set a facepainting stall at Cheesy. It saddens me that this was allowed to happen as we have always had quite a strict policy of not allowing external fundraisers while we my committee are raising money for the charity of the semester, chosen by the members. 5.3 Debates Once again C. MacInnes has been doing a fantastic job as debates representative and has been very good at getting QM regulars to join QM Debates and hopefully this can be worked on further. Coming Up 5.4 Jailbreak Posters have gone up around the building & will hopefully start going out in the library once we have black & white ones. I’m still waiting on conformation for a sponsor for the t-shirts & shortly there will be an online article with pervious participants giving advice to those interested in taking part this year. 5.5 Go Green Week As previously stated there were problems setting up any arrangement with those coordinating 6

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

it on campus, however there will be a stall in Food Factory giving information during the week. 5.6 RAG Week I had a meeting the VP Student Support the other day to discuss activities that we will be doing/facilitating. There is now an outline for pretty much the whole week, Thursday may be the only day where there is nothing happening in our building due to the election & a live gig. 6. Current Student Representatives Sederunts: Meeting 31/1/13 Present: A. Compton, E. Jewson, S. McFadden, C. Cuthbertson, K. Simmons. Apologies: S. Strausz, B. Johnston, C. MacInnes, J. Reid. N/A: R. Male. Meeting 7/2/13 Present: A. Compton, C. MacInnes, S. Strausz, K. Simmons, C. Cuthbertson, B. Johnston, E. Jewson. Apologies: J. Reid. N/A: R. Male, S.McFadden. 6.2

Previous Fortnight

6.2.1) Analyse the success of the new PR system. The new PR system has been largely successful, more PR has been going out, and it is now easier to see who is PRing and when. Any feedback from the board would be very much appreciated. 6.2.2) Discuss the roles of the CSR and CCSR with the Honorary Assistant Secretary. Following a brief discussion no changes are likely to be made due to the CSR Committee being happy with both the description of the CSR and the CCSR. 6.2.3) Meet with each convenor to discuss the attendance and performance of the individual CSRs. By the time of the meeting I will have discussed this with each convenor and will take the feedback to the individual CSRs as a matter of urgency. 6.2.4) Re-evaluate success and future of group projects. After discussion with the committee, the group projects were deemed to have been a failure. We attributed this to several factors, including difficulty in arranging mutually available times for discussion, as well as a general lack of feeling of individual responsibility and dedication to each project. I would therefore recommend to my successor that the group projects either be discontinued or are significantly reformed, and I would be happy to meet with them postelection to brainstorm this. 6.3

Board Responsibilities

In light of the events of the last meeting of the Board of Management I’d like to remind all CSRs that should they feel they are struggling with the workload of being a board member, or have any questions or concerns regarding their role, I am more than happy to meet up to discuss this. 6.4

Question of the Week

I have been reminded that this is in my remit. Following discussion about this with the Honorary Assistant Secretary is something that I would like to ‘bring back’ in some form. Whilst I agree that the old Question of the Week was too intrusive and annoying to members, I feel that new methods of getting member feedback should always be explored, even if these new methods are old. I will be attempting to conceive a less-intrusive method of having Duty 7

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

Board interact with members and receiving feedback on what we do in the next few weeks. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. 6.5 The weeks to come. 6.5.1) Compile a handover document for my successor (I’m a real convenor. No, really, I AM). 6.5.2) Drawing to a close my term as CCSR by reporting on the final progress of all projects in the next board meeting, as well as a summary of my term. 6.5.3) Successfully establish the return of, or replacement for, Question of the Week. 7. Events 7.1 Last two weeks The past two weeks have seen the return of bog standard Cheesy Pop, and whilst numbers have not been dire they have been quite low. I have noticed both weeks that many people have been turning up after 11:30pm, leaving the bars presumably quite quiet. This suggests to me that we should perhaps think of improving and/or increasing PR regarding karaoke. I will try and work with the Social Convener in the coming weeks to see if anything can be done about it. Balloons with Free Passes were tried on 1/02/13 – however due to the weather and some unforeseen technical difficulties this could of gone down smoother than it did. I would like to try it again soon. There also seems to be a lack of morale/numbers regarding committee attendance, which I will try to improve. I feel that this, in turn, has had an adverse effect in the morale of both myself and Katy – simply put, there is just too much work to do for two people to handle. Improving the proactivness of the committee is extremely important to me, and I feel it is necessary for the future convener. However we do have a couple of new First Year members which is absolutely wonderful. In addition, Aonghas, Claire and Yasmynn have been working with enthusiasm in their new roles on the committee. All three of them have been absolutely commendable, as have the rest of the Tech Team. 7.2 Upcoming Events This Tuesday we have Mardi Gras, which currently has 112 people attending on facebook. If you haven’t invited your friends already, please do so. I am hopeful it will be a very special event, my only fear is that it will be difficult to entice people to come out on Tuesday. This Thursday we have Take Me Out. The organisation of this event has been sloppy to say the least and for this I can only apologise. However, I feel it will be a very good event – again, invite all your friends. Rainbow Cheesy is taking place on the 22nd, though I am unsure of what extra attractions we will be adding around the building. On the 24th we will also be hosting Oscar’s Sunday. Katy has designed a lovely poster, and the QMU Film Club have expressed an interest in showing ‘The Artist’ beforehand (last year’s winner of Best Picture). Times for Oscar’s on Sky at 11pm-1:30am Red Carpet and 1:30am-4am is the ceremony. I sincerely believe that this is something people will come out for despite the late times, but there does need to be a discussion about the logistics of the event. 7.3 Planning for future events Plans for 10 Hour and St Patrick’s Day are all underway. I have found working with the Events Manager on planning these events both constructive and positive. The theme for 10 Hour is Spring Break, to the perceived general satisfaction of all. However, it looks like we may not have the budget for an act and for the attractions around the building – however this is not yet confirmed. As many of you know, the planning of a new club night is also being discussed – thank you to everyone for your constructive input on this matter. 7.4 What you can do Come along to Events Committee and please do PR. It is the vital ingredient to the success of all our events. If board members refuse to PR, my insistence that the committee do it appears to be a gross double standard. We also still need at least two more boys for Take Me Out, so use all your manipulative skills to find me some if you can. 8

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

8. Publications 30/1/2013 3 Board Members and 14 Ordinary Members. Board Members: T. Kelly, E. Jewson, C. MacInnes 6/2/2013 3 Board Members and 14 Ordinary Members. Board Members: T. Kelly, E. Jewson, B. Johnston. Review of previous goals New goals: 8.1 Distribute this magazineOngoing 8.2 Complete the retrospectiveOngoing- The articles are all typed up and a large amount of the editing is completed. 8.3 Ensure training for committee membersA presentation has been prepared for Training of members that can hopefully also be used to train regular members Upcoming Goals 8.4 Complete issue 102A large number of articles are already distributed for this issue, including a good number of live reviews 8.5 Make a presentation for Photoshop similar to the InDesign presentation already prepared 8.6 Push Jailbreak through qmunicate.wordpress.comRobin has prepared an article with which we can help advertise the QMU’s charity efforts 9. Social 9.1) Sederunt 9.1.1) 31st January – 9 board members (J. Ansell, J. Reid, C. Cuthbertson, S. McFarland, S. McFadden, R. Callaghan, K. Stevenson, K. Simmons, E. Jewson), 10 ordinary members 9.1.2) 7th February – 12 board members (J. Ansell, J. Reid, E. Jewson, R. Callaghan, B. Johnston, C. MacInnes, K. Simmons, B. McBride, C. Cuthbertson, S. Strausz, T. Kelly, A. Compton), 16 Ordinary Members 9.2) Monday Night Music Quiz 28th January – 48 people, 9 teams 4th February – 54 people, 9 teams I am very happy with the current progress of the quiz, the almost finalised format seems to be enjoyed by participants, the hosts are gaining confidence and stage presence with each quiz, and I have been able to pass an extra budget through finance to allow for small prizes and sweets at the quiz too. Over the next fortnight I will be working with the hosts on creating new pr for the quiz based around photos of them re-enacting famous album covers. 9.3) DJ’s in Jim’s 28th January – 45 (max), 19 at close (1am) 9

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

4th February – 10 The last fortnight has certainly been up and down for this event. The 28th saw the Metal society come and play for us whish was a great night with numbers in the bar until close. Last Monday though was a disaster though, with almost all the folk in the bar leaving before the event began and in the end we chose to stop the event after half an hour. Whilst I am at a loss to explain the complete lack of attendance to the event, one fact which has become obvious is the need for the DJs to pr and bring folk to the event themselves, which is why contacting clubs and societies might be the better option going forward. Over the next fortnight I will be looking at streamlining the changeover from the MNMQ to this event and hopefully complete the bookings for the rest of term. 9.4) Unplugged 29th January – 55 (Max), 38 at midnight 5th February – 10 Again we see a mixed bag in event attendance. On the 29th we had a great unplugged but on the 5th there was in total 10 people in the bar. I have spoken to duty board from that night and have been told that the entire building was dead. I therefore will look at this as just a freak event and fully expect/hope normal attendance figures to resume come the next Unplugged, which will be our musical themes night. Over the next fortnight I will be creating pr for the musical night, the Unplugged competition and contacting local musical business for potential sponsorship. 9.5) Big Wednesday Night Music Quiz 30th January, (Useless Quiz) – 99 people, 20 teams 6th February – 60 people, 13 teams The useless quiz was a great night, with great numbers seen in the bar. The sheer magnitude of prizes was also very well received and I think helped massively when pr-ing via the weekly photo of the prizes on facebook. Over the next few weeks I have a few things to change about the quiz. Firstly we are changing the format, so as to shorten the quiz as general consensus is that it is too long. Secondly I will be talking to the hosts about when they are showing up to the event as well as their general commitment to the quiz, as it would be nice to see a renewed burst of enthusiasm from them before their tenure ends, as opposed to fizzling out. (On that note there will also be another trailer being filmed for the quiz after next.) 9.6) Bingo 31st January – 65 people A fantastic night! The event I felt was well attended and people seemed to have a very good time. The hosts performed their duties admirably and we still had some extra prizes to give out from the Useless Big Wednesday the night before. Whilst I don’t think we can roll this event out as a weekly thing, I am sure that should any other holes arise in our events calendar, then we can put on another Bingo with no trouble at all. 9.7) Pop Culture and a Piano 1st February – 45 people, 8 teams 8th February – 62 people, 12 teams The quiz is doing well and it is nice to see number not only stay the same but also improve during this in the academic calendar. Last Friday’s special themed Pop Culture and a Recorder also went down very well, and I feel that the increased use of the televising during the quiz is being received well. 9.8 Karaoke Karaoke is continuing nicely and we have seen a few new faces also join the fabled fold of 10

11/02/13


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

karaoke hosts which is very nice to see. 9.9) AOCB 9.9.1) Hosts I have met with the hosts and we have set next Thursday after the social committee as when we will be auditioning new people. There will be an event up on facebook and physical pr around the campus for this so I am hoping to see a number of people come and audition to host next terms quizzes.

11

11/02/13


2012-13 Meeting 9 Reports