Page 1

Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

Queen Margaret Union Minutes of the Board of Management Meeting 4: 05/11/2012 1. Sederunt Executive: C. Fraser, L. Hinton, E. Murphy Convenors: J. Ansell, R. Callaghan, P. Kelly, T. Kelly Current Student Representatives: E. Jewson, B. Johnston, R. Male, C. MacInnes, S. McFadden, J. Reid, S. Strausz Former Student Members: K. Stevenson Honoraries: C. Hall, E. Munro SRC President: J. Harrison General Manager: A. McConachie 2. Apologies A. Compton, A. McAllister 3. Addition of Agenda Items 4. Minutes of the Previous Meeting L. Hinton: The survey will be going up after this meeting. E. Murphy: Have events other than clubnights be discussed in the events committee since the last meeting? P. Kelly: Yes; ceilidhs and cinema events. E. Murphy: When is the first cinema event? P. Kelly: Some licensing issues have been encountered, but the 24th November possibly. C. Hall: Why fix on Saturdays? P. Kelly: They are clear in the calendar. E. Murphy: How are style guides progressing? T. Kelly: They have been started, but are not online. C. Fraser: When will they be? T. Kelly: By the end of the week. E. Murphy: Have back-up hosts been considered for social events? J. Ansell: Unplugged, yes. Details of those who sign up are taken weekly. Other events are a work in progress. [R. Callaghan enters AP. C. Fraser to share Guardian letter with the Board. COMPLETED AP. E. Murphy to add speaking to Clubs and Societies to Duty Board check-list. COMPLETED AP. L. Hinton to bring sweets to the next life membership meeting. NOT COMPLETED AP. E. Murphy to add equipment training to duty training check-list. COMPLETED AP. E. Murphy to ensure level ones train new duty board in tech set-up of Jim's Bar. ONGOING AP. Everyone to sign up to Movember. ONGOING AP. J. Ansell to send PC&P special event information to C. Fraser. COMPLETED AP. L. Hinton to contact GUPDC regarding affiliation. COMPLETED AP. E. Murphy to check CBP for registered and union membership requirements of board members. COMPLETED AP. E. Murphy to contact registry regarding the election. ONGOING - there are difficulties in collecting this information from the registry AP. A. Compton to send C. Fraser weekend football fixtures COMPLETED 1

05/11/12


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

AP. A. Compton, J. Ansell, T. Kelly and others interested to meet on sport. COMPLETED AP. R. Callaghan to look for white poppies. COMPLETED AP. E. Murphy to consider how to replace Qudos barriers earlier in week. COMPLETED - the convenors of Monday and Tuesday committees have volunteered to help duty board AP. E. Murphy to compile a "how to use the desktop photocopier" document. NOT COMPLETED Motion to pass minutes of Board of Management Meeting 3: 19/10/12 Proposed: R. Callaghan Seconded: J. Reid PASSED 5. Minutes from other meetings 5.1 Finance Committee, Meeting 6: 16/10/12 K. Stevenson: When is the cinema licence valid? C. Fraser: May to May, although we have encountered issues. S. Strausz: What is the union's biggest expense, after power and staffing? A. McConachie: Maintenance. [C. Fraser passes the chair to E. Murphy Motion to pass minutes of Finance Committee Meeting 6: 16/10/12 Proposed: C. Fraser Seconded: L. Hinton [E. Murphy passes the chair to C. Fraser 6. Reports Replies given by report author unless otherwise stated. 6.1 General Manager's Report to the Executive Committee [Submitted by A. McConachie (1.4) Membership J. Ansell: When is membership closed until? - It shall open again in January. J. Ansell: Why close it? - New members would sign up for 12 hour, and then never use the building again. S. Strausz: Will sign in still be possible? - Yes. (1.1) Business Update E. Munro: Can you give the verbal report mentioned? - The accounts for September for the first quarter will go to the university tomorrow. I am not overly confident with them. (1.7) C7 New Year Ceilidh R. Callaghan: Will duty board be required for this event? - No, the building will be completely closed other than for the event. (1.5) Opening Hours C. Hall: I don't understand this point. - Me neither. 2

05/11/12


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

(1.9) Hallowe'en S. Strausz: How were the numbers for this? - Capacity was reached by midnight. 6.2 President's Report to the Board of Management [Submitted by C. Fraser (2.1) Welcome C. MacInnes: What aspects of the Union are improving? - 1.1 of the General Manager's Report lists the areas. In 2.7 I discuss the importance of attracting groups to use the building. (2.2) University Finance J. Harrison: Do you have any indication of when you will receive the rest of your block grant? - Targets have not been clearly set for us to meet, and there has not been any indication of when it may be received. J. Harrison: You mention VP L&D - who do you mean? - Ah, Vice Principal not the SRC Vice President. (2.3) Online C. Hall: I have noticed a pattern of Facebook events being put online just before the day of the event. - Other than the last comedy, most event pages are rolling, or have a page. C. Hall: Special, bigger events should have an event page by themselves, to highlight them. The hosts and convenors should be responsible for this. (2.3) Online S. Strausz: Facebook has a promotion option. Has this been considered? - I looked into this recently. There is a benefit. (2.2) University Finance E. Munro: (to J. Harrison) How much interaction with the University have you had on this? J. Harrison: I have spoken to the Principal, and I asked the Secretary of Court to raise it at the last meeting. (2.5) By-Election and Election Mk. II K. Stevenson: Was there any specific reach to first years? - There was an online presence. We are struggling to get into halls just now. - Please encourage all first years you know or encounter to run for board. K. Stevenson: Should people go to Murano? - It's difficult to get access. It will be included in the next membership email though. P. Kelly: Queen Margaret halls are accessible. R. Callaghan: There are first years in my committee who are interested. [J. Harrison exits 6.3 Honorary Secretary's Report [Submitted by L. Hinton (3.3) Life Membership R. Callaghan: The Facebook Life Membership page - how many Likes does it have, and how many are actual Life Members? - I have not got the information about who are current students and not, but it is good to have the support from current students too. The page has 46 Likes.

3

05/11/12


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

E. Munro: When is your next meeting? - Wednesday at 7pm. Although I need to coordinate with E. Murphy. AP. L. Hinton to organise a Life Membership meeting. K. Stevenson: What is the page for? - To contact members, share photos, and promote targeted events. 6.4 Honorary Assistant Secretary's Report [Submitted by E. Murphy (4.3) Committee Attendance R. Callaghan: Can I just point out that the two lines regarding attendance are separate points? (4.2) Training C. Hall: Can the CSR guide and CCSR handover document go online for everyone to read? 6.5 Campaigns and Charities Convenor's Report [Submitted by R. Callaghan (5.1) Free Condoms E. Munro: Do you have condom PR? - Posters are up, and flyers have been printed but are yet to be cut. (5.6) Blood Drive K. Stevenson: Can you give a verbal report? - I went at 11am, to see what was needed. The organisers ran the event themselves, and there was a steady queue throughout the day. I checked in with them at the end of the day to get feedback; it was cold in the room, but they were happy with turnout. K. Stevenson: Was it still busy at the end? - Yes. K. Stevenson: Is it better to run the event over two days rather than one? - I shall see how tomorrow goes, and report back. J. Ansell: How much blood was donated? E. Munro: The figures will probably come back soon. (5.2.2) Hallowe'en J. Reid: Have you heard anything from the Red Cross yet? - No. 6.6 Convenor of Current Student Representatives' Report 6.7 Events Convenor's Report [Submitted by P. Kelly (7.1.1) Cheesy K. Stevenson: What themes are you planning in November? - Children in Need, and St Andrews. (7.1.5) PR R. Callaghan: Has anyone returned the postcard flyers yet? - I shall ask at reception. S. Strausz: Could tickets for Cheesy be sold at halls? 4

05/11/12


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

C. Fraser: Volunteers can't handle money, although it's not a bad idea. (7.4) 12 Hour E. Munro: Do you have a schedule for PR? - Not yet. C. Fraser: As soon as possible please. 6.8 Publications Convenor's Report [Submitted by T. Kelly - Apologies for no sederunts. I am used to my lieutenant doing it, but am currently without one. - The dip in attendance was due to Hallowe'en. P. Kelly: Can you talk about your columnist issues? - I have not spoken with editors and columnist before. I understand the need to. P. Kelly: When will you? - Tomorrow, once the magazine is sent away. - I have numerous topics to raise with the committee, including a possible restructuring. R. Callaghan: The board should be informed of this also. [J. Reid exits - The committee structure needs addressed; it is only serving as a contributors meeting, and there is no discussion of the magazine as a whole. Design and feedback should be a major topic. - A subcommittee might be the way forward, although I do not wish to call it that. E. Munro: There are some board members here who are committee members also. We should hear from them. E. Jewson: The committee is good at one thing, and not another. By splitting design from contribution, it might help with the training system, and encourage contributors to become more involved with the magazine as a whole. B. Johnston: It may help chase people to submit on time also. C. Hall: I am not sure about a second meeting. In the past, during editing time, drop-in sessions were encouraged. C. Fraser: Formalising and simplifying the editorial team. - It should not be a simplification. E. Jewson: There are problems with distribution. It is not organised in the meeting. C. Hall: The online forum could organise distribution. [J. Reid returns C. Fraser: Can those interested in further discussion on this please attend the committee. A. McConachie: Issue 99 has been delayed. What are the dates now for issue 100? - Now looking at the 28th November, not the 26th. [R. Callaghan exits 6.9 Social Convenor's Report [Submitted by J. Ansell (9.2) Monday Music Quiz 5

05/11/12


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

S. Strausz: We need to get more people at this event. - I will raise it at the next committee, to promote this event more. - The event will have more breaks in it. S. Strausz: Should it move to Saturdays? - Saturdays have even poorer turn out. [R. Callaghan returns (9.4.1) 31st October P. Kelly: Any feedback on karaoke? - It was an overall success. (9.6) Pop Culture and a Piano E. Munro: Numbers are wavering. Is there anything being done to reverse this? - This is the first quiet Unplugged, and Pop Culture. As this is away from essay deadlines, I am not sure why this is. C. Fraser: Lots of focus should be on this event. If prizes are bought in advance, a photo of them can be shared online to promote the quiz. (9.4) Big Wednesday Night Pub Quiz C. Fraser: When was the last special event, or video? - A video round shall be produced. - We haven't done a Really Smart quiz for a while, or anything similar. AP. J. Ansell to produce a plan to motivate quizzes. P. Kelly: Pop Culture is not seeing new teams. E. Munro: How are hosts' commitment to their event? - Unplugged is really owned by the hosts. The quizzes are contributed to by their hosts, and the prizes are sourced by the hosts. E. Munro: Could hosts be encouraged to bring people along, or even encourage teams to do the same? S. Strausz: Have you tried tying societies into the quiz? Target them and have them submit to the quiz? - That's a good idea. [A. McAllister enters E. Munro: I am not seeing much PR in the library. E. Murphy: Do you monitor the PR, and make sure it is distributed? - Yes. E. Murphy: Since you are not seeing new teams at Pop Culture, could you ask the teams that come every week why they do? P. Kelly: Yeah. R. Callaghan: You could use the back of the quiz sheet. S. Strausz: Have you asked outside of the University for people to attend Unplugged? J. Reid: This has been discussed in the committee. Motion to pass the reports to the Board of Management, Meeting 4: 05/11/12 Proposed: P. Kelly Seconded: J. Reid 6

05/11/12


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

7. Life Membership Applications Alice McNaugher Matthew Lafferty Lindsay Laing Proposed: C. MacInnes Seconded: S. McFadden PASSED C. Hall: How are online applications going? L. Hinton: I have received several emails and the online form is being used. 8. Affiliations STAR GU Climate Action SASC (Society for the Advancement of the Science of Chess) GU Alchemists Cut Filmmaking MORGUL - GU Rock and Metal Society Mature Students Association QMU Film Society GUPDC GLASS (Glasgow Laughter and Sketch Society) Proposed: S. Strausz Seconded: J. Ansell PASSED QMU Whisky Club should affiliate. C. Hall: Are passes for Cheesy Pop being used? L. Hinton: There are member lists at the door being used instead. S. McFadden: Do we actively approach clubs and societies? L. Hinton: Yes. I work from the list of clubs and societies that the SRC has. I shall get in contact with GUSA to get contact details for sports clubs. AP. L. Hinton to email life members about St Andrews dinner. 9. By-Election Mk. II A by-election shall be held on 22nd November. The following seats are open for election: Current Student Representative A, 1 seat, until the Annual Election 2013 Current Student Representative B, 2 seats, until the Autumn By-Election 2013, first year only Nominations open on November 12th at 9am, and close on November 16th, 4pm. The Returning Officer shall be Dr Mark Stewart, and the Assistant Returning Officer shall be Colum Fraser. 10. Staff Election The election of the staff representative shall be on November 23rd. 7

05/11/12


Queen Margaret Union

Board of Management

The seat shall be for one year, and is only open to staff members of the Union. Nominations open on November 12th at 9am, and close on November 16th, 4pm. The Returning Officer shall be Colum Fraser, and the Assistant Returning Officer shall be Lauren Hinton. 11. Any Other Competent Business 11.1 Committee Posters R. Male requests that duty board change the poster by the lift in reception, and at the lift on the third floor, to accurately detail which committee is on the next day. [A. McConachie exits 11.2 Election of Convenor of Current Student Representatives A. Compton, S. McFadden and R. Male stand for the position. A. Compton is deemed elected. 11.3 Lieutenants Campaigns and Charities: C. MacInnes and R. Male stand for the position. C. MacInnes is deemed elected. Events: No one stands for the position. Publications: B. Johnston stands for the position. B. Johnston is deemed elected. Social: J. Reid stands for the position. J. Reid is deemed elected. 11.4 Representatives Dialectic Representative: C. MacInnes stands for the position. C. MacInnes is deemed elected. Health and Safety Representative: S. Strausz, E. Jewson, S. McFadden, R. Male and P. Kelly stand for the position. S. Strausz is deemed elected. 12. Action Points Arising from Meeting AP. L. Hinton to organise a Life Membership meeting. AP. J. Ansell to produce a plan to motivate quizzes. AP. L. Hinton to email life members about St Andrews dinner. 13. Date of Next Meeting The next meeting of the Board of Management shall be at 5:30pm on Monday 19th November.

8

05/11/12

2012-13 Meeting 4 Minutes  

Minutes of the fourth meeting of the Board of Management 2012-13. Below is the link to the reports which are referenced in the minutes.

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you