Page 1

O

Fall 2014 Celebrating 106 Years of Serving Youth Our Mission PBC seeks to transform the lives of vulnerable young people through integrated experiential and adventurebased programming in schools and at our outdoor campus.

PBC: Changing Lives in Urban Schools As the holiday giving season approaches, the PrincetonBlairstown Center (PBC) is proud to share important data regarding the success of our School-Based Programs and the positive effect your continued support enables. For decades, our Blairstown programs have focused on character education, or Social Emotional Learning (SEL) as it is termed today. Over the past year, PBC has successfully developed deep partnerships with four schools to enhance SEL and combat the devastating personal, family, and broader social effects of early school dropout rates. Our goal is to always work smarter and more effectively in providing valuable SEL to the young people we serve. To do this, we are internally evaluating our programs and our performance, and we are using evaluation tools to measure our effectiveness. Dr. Robert Balfanz, a leading national dropout prevention researcher at Johns Hopkins University, reports that a sixthgrader’s likelihood of not finishing high school can be predicted by the ABCs – “Attending school less than 80% of the time, receiving an unsatisfactory Behavior grade/ demonstrating mild but sustained misbehavior, or Course failure (particularly in math or English/reading). Students

demonstrating at least one of these traits have only a 10%20% chance of graduating on time, and an increased chance of not graduating at all. PBC partnered with two middle schools and two high schools over the past year to expand our School-Based SEL programs and provide comprehensive support services to a cohort of the most at-risk students at each school. Three of the schools are in Trenton, New Jersey and one is in New York City.

Dramatic Middle School Outcomes In addition to weekly SEL student workshops and trips to our Blairstown Campus, PBC’s middle school Site Coordinators provided intensive, individual academic and personal counseling to the very highest risk students in our two partner middle schools, focusing on the ABC’s cited by Dr. Balfanz. The results have been gratifying. At our New York City partner middle school, the Global Neighborhood Secondary School, 79% of our students passed their core classes. Our staff then assisted the remaining 21% of Cont. on page 2

1

PBC Fall 2014 Outlook  

Princeton-Blairstown Center's Fall 2014 Outlook Newsletter

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you