Maker Highlight A series focused on digging deeper and meeting some of Wine Country’s Makers. This week we caught up with Jeff Duckhorn, Master Distiller of Redwood Empire Whiskey in Graton, CA. We learn more about Jeff, how he got started in the business, where he finds inspiration and the all important question, what is your go to drink? Check out these answers and more below! 1)
How and why did you get started in the booze business? I have been working for Purple for almost 10 years. I started in Finance and worked my way over to booze maker.
2) If money and time were unlimited what would you make? Single Malt and different Rye and Bourbon whiskies with unique mash bills and different bbl types.
3) Where do you find inspiration? Reading online and magazines. Getting out in the market when I can and talking to people.
4) What is your go to cocktail? Rye Old Fashioned
5) What advice would you give to someone interested in becoming a distiller? Get your spreadsheet skills down and be good with numbers. Also, be very patient.
6) What do you love about your industry? The variety in the day to day schedule. Production, sales, promotion. Lots of different hats to wear.
7) What is your passion projects? Single Malt Whiskey
8) Under the recently revised ABC laws how/where can folks purchase your product? Ex: Online, retailer, curbside pickup? At local bottle shops. Hopefully online soon!
9) What is your favorite thing about living in Sonoma County/Wine Country/North Bay/Bay Area? Access to the beach and the Redwoods. Great for growing just about everything in my yard.
10) Top 3 favorite places to dine: Starks for a nice night out. Sushi Tozai for a quick local bite. Las Vegas
11) Just for fun, what did you want to be when you grew up? Marine Biologist