Issuu on Google+

Point Pleasant, WV The Way We Were


The purpose of this slideshow is to place pictures about Point Pleasant’s early history in one place for viewing by all. It is not intended for any commercial purpose. Rather it aims at providing a sense of how the town grew over the years. Sources include images placed on Facebook by various people interested in Point Pleasant, the WVU Historical Photographs Collection, the Library of Congress, the Point Pleasant Weekly Register, the Point Pleasant Register, the Charleston Gazette, and the Athens Messenger.


Coupola in middle distance is the courthouse. Early 1900s.


Early 1900s Main Street


Early 1900s. Awnings on east side of Main Street to protect against sun, woman in bonnet on right.


1918 Main Street. Note street light top middle, woman on balcony on left, buggy on right.


1920s Main Street looking south from above post office. Street light can be seen faintly in the middle.


Main Street north from 9th Street.


Fort Randolph in what is now Tu-Endie-Wei park. The battle monument was not erected until 1909.


Viand north from the K&M railroad bridge


The Barbee Block. The Silver Bridge was later constructed to the left of this building


The AA VanGilder drug store and Western Union


Ben Franklin shoe store


Beale’s Hall


The Bickle Block


DS Snyder Grocery


Equity Milling


Filson Bros. Hardware


The Hein Building


HG Nease Store


Hooff’s Opera House – 313 Main Street


JW Friedman Clothes and Shoes


JW Rhoades Hardware


The Kisar Block


Mason County Jail


Mercy Hospital


Mutual Realty, builders of the Spencer Hotel, later renamed the Lowe Hotel


The Phoenix Hotel


Swisher Grocery


The “Mansion House” in Tu-Endie-Wei Park


Original location of Cornstalk monument by the first courthouse


Battle Monument Dedication


Battle Monument dedication program


County clerk’s staff


The Spencer Hotel, the Lowe Hotel beginning in 1929


The first high school, which later became Central Elementary school. Mason County Public Library is now at this location


September 7, 1910 Point Pleasant Register


The high school which sat in the open field roughly across from Wendy’s

The high school gym - left of the building in the image above


Malleable Iron Works


Malleable Iron Works - 1925


Point Pleasant Ice Plant


Point Pleasant Water and Light


Point Pleasant town lockup and hose house for fire hoses


Heights


Heights at left with Point Pleasant Development Association land to the right.


Heights


Main Street, Early 1950s


1913 Flood. The white cupola at right is the Mason County Courthouse


Flooded Main Street


1937 flood. Lowe Hotel at right, Silver Bridge in the background. The stained glass windows are on the hotel mezzanine level.


Main Street 1937 flood.


Flooded Main Street, 1947


1947 flood Viand Street looking south


Flooded Main Street


High water almost to the top of the Lowe Hotel fireplace, close to the mezzanine floor


House or “shanty” boat on the south side of the Kanawha near the Ohio River


Packet “Kanawha”, K&M railroad bridge in background


Packet “Kanawha”, K&M railroad bridge in background


Busy river and docks


Ice on the Ohio


Boat Builders 1916 – 1970s


Laying the post office cornerstone - 1913


First parking meters - 1942


1937 Potato Queen – this festival was held to encourage raising potatos in Mason County. Raising apples was also encouraged.


IGA Foodliner on Main Street


John Brown Grocery


A&P Grocery Store, 303 Main Street


Point Pleasant Grocery Compay


Evans Grocery


Fairs and shows played important roles in town history


One of several river shows that called at Point Pleasant


Town newspapers included the Weekly Register, followed by the Point Pleasant Register


Reported as the 4th car in Point Pleasant. No information about who owned it.


Jackson Avenue, 1918


Fruth Phamacy


Original post office, later state liquor store and now a restaurant. Silver Bridge was built to the left of the building. K&M railroad bridge across the Ohio to the left.


Shadle Bridge Tollhouse


New York Central Railroad Workers


Dr. Benjamin F. Sommer, Leon


Doc Eshenauer


Point Clinic Staff


Floodwall Construction: Ground broken August 21, 1948, by Mayor BW Krodel. Cost was $2.5M, scheduled for 1950 completion.


Harris Steakhouse fountain


WV Ordnance Works


Bob Evans Drive-In


Main Street Parade


Photo sources Ruth and Russ Finley Steve Shaluta The Point Pleasant River Museum Point Pleasant Restoration Foundation Point Pleasant Register Supplement 1922 Carolyn Costen Hartenbach Lynn Fruth Arlona Tait Rick Halstead Ami Williams Ryan Grady


Images from Point Pleasant's past