Point Pleasant, WV The Way We Were
Coupola in middle distance is the courthouse. Early 1900s.
Early 1900s Main Street
Early 1900s. Awnings on east side of Main Street to protect against sun, woman in bonnet on right.
1918 Main Street. Note street light top middle, woman on balcony on left, buggy on right.
1920s Main Street looking south from above post office. Street light can be seen faintly in the middle.
Main Street north from 9th Street.
Fort Randolph in what is now Tu-Endie-Wei park. The battle monument was not erected until 1909.
Viand north from the K&M railroad bridge
The Barbee Block. The Silver Bridge was later constructed to the left of this building
The AA VanGilder drug store and Western Union
Ben Franklin shoe store
The Bickle Block
DS Snyder Grocery
Filson Bros. Hardware
The Hein Building
HG Nease Store
Hoofâ€™s Opera House
JW Friedman Clothes and Shoes
JW Rhoades Hardware
The Kisar Block
Mason County Jail
Mutual Realty, builders of the Spencer Hotel, later renamed the Lowe Hotel
The Phoenix Hotel
The “Mansion House” in Tu-Endie-Wei Park
The Spencer Hotel, the Lowe Hotel beginning in 1929
Malleable Iron Works
Point Pleasant Ice Plant
Point Pleasant Water and Light
Point Pleasant town lockup and hose house for fire hoses
Heights at left with Point Pleasant Development Association land to the right.
Main Street, Early 1950s
1913 Flood. The white cupola at right is the Mason County Court House
Flooded Main Street
Flooded Main Street, 1947
1947 flood Viand Street looking south
Flooded Main Street
High water almost to the top of the Lowe Hotel fireplace, close to the mezzanine floor
House or “shanty” boat on the south side of the Kanawha near the Ohio River
Packet “Kanawha”, K&M railroad bridge in background
Busy river and docks
Boat Builders 1916 â€“ 1970s
First parking meters
1937 Potato Queen â€“ this festival was held to encourage raising potatos in Mason County. Raising apples was also encouraged.
IGA Foodliner on Main Street
A&P Grocery Store
Point Pleasant Grocery Compay
Original post office, later state liquor store and now a restaurant. Silver Bridge was built to the left of the building. K&M railroad bridge across the Ohio to the left.
Doc Summer of Leon
Point Clinic Staff
WV Ordnance Works
Bob Evans Drive-In
Photo sources: Ruth and Russ Finley Steve Shaluta The Point Pleasant River Museum Point Pleasant Restoration Foundation Point Pleasant Register Supplement 1922 Carolyn Costen Hartenbach Lynn Fruth Arlona Tait
The Way We Were