Page 1


Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

updated October 2010

Index Content




Section One: General Information


a) b) c) d) e) f) g) h)

2 2 4 4 5 5 6 7

Medical Insurance Student Visa and Student Permit Payment / Refund of Fees Theft of Property Loss of Passport Working in New Zealand Complaints Procedure Complaints Form

Section Two: Adjusting to Life in Auckland


a) b) c) d) e) f)

8 8 8 8 10 10

Climate Sun Smart Banking Culture Shock NZ Police Medical Emergencies

Section Three: Accommodation


a) Living with parents b) Designated caregivers c) Hostel d) Homestay Accommodation (i) Homestay Guidelines (ii) Homestay Rules (iii) Useful Translations

12 12 13 14 15 18 19


23 23 24

Independent or own accommodation (i) Apartments (ii) Going flatting

Section Four: Laws and Legislation a) Drinking Alcohol b) Smoking c) Gambling d) Drugs e) Recreational Fishing Rules e) Discrimination and Harassment f) Racial Harassment g) Sexual Harassment

25 25 25 25 26 26 27 28 29

Section Five: Road Safety


a) b) c) d)

30 32 32 33

Driving in New Zealand Passenger Safety Pedestrians Cyclists

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

updated October 2010

Section Six: Water Safety


a) b) c) d) e)

34 34 35 35 36

Beach Safety Rivers Pools Fishing Alcohol

Section Seven: Directories


a) b) c) d) e)

37 38 39 43 44

Recreational Services Places of Worship Diplomatic and Consular Representatives School Directory Useful Phone Numbers

Appendix • Contracts of Enrolments

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011


updated October 2010

Dear Student Welcome to Academic Colleges Group – Be an Achiever! On behalf of the staff of Academic Colleges Group I would like to welcome you warmly to our school, to Auckland and to New Zealand. At ACG we have two goals: - Excellent academic outcomes from quality teaching - A superior quality of service We will do everything we can to help you settle into your course and make real progress in your learning. In order to make progress it is important that you are happy in your class and happy in your home. So please ask us if there is anything which worries you. We are here to help you. ACG has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the New Zealand Ministry of Education. ACG is a leading provider of internationally-recognised quality programmes. Our schools, colleges and specialist education centres have been developed to offer the best educational pathways in preparation for university. Our vision is to create a unique and dynamic learning environment, providing students from all over the world with an internationally-recognised education of the highest order. We consider the quality of student accommodation to be of paramount importance for a successful educational experience. We acknowledge that to your parents there is nothing more important than being secure in the knowledge that their daughters and sons are safe, comfortable and happy in their New Zealand home environment. ACG, in compliance with the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, and in partnership with homestay families, strives to provide the highest quality accommodation services to our international students. Remember that learning English goes on outside the classroom as well; so make the most of your stay in Auckland, one of the world’s finest cities. Good luck in your studies; work hard, and enjoy your stay in New Zealand!

Richard M Kensington Academic Registrar Email:

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 1

Section One: General information a) Medical Insurance All international students are required to have comprehensive medical insurance. This is to ensure that our students are guaranteed the best possible health care while in New Zealand. ACG will arrange your insurance through Southern Cross Healthcare, New Zealand's largest health insurance company. However, if you have used a different health insurance company, you are required to provide a copy of your policy (at the time of application), which will be kept in your student file. The Southern Cross policy that meets the requirements of the Code of Practice is called “Student Max”. This is a comprehensive policy that includes travel cover, lost of property, public liability and medical cover. If you have a policy from another provider it must provide cover equivalent to the Student Max Policy. This is a sample of the SX Membership Card

b) •

Student Visa and Student Permit While you are studying in New Zealand, you are legally required to hold a valid student permit at all times.

A student visa enables you to travel to New Zealand. For the majority of students you will have obtained a student visa before you left your home country. The student visa must name the programme and the college you are studying with.

A student permit allows you to stay in New Zealand. When you arrived at the airport in New Zealand, you would have received a stamp in your passport. This is your permit.

You must make sure that you know the expiry date of your permit and that you make arrangements to renew your permit before it expires.

For assistance in renewing your permit, please see the International Office

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 2

Student Permit Application You have two options: Option 1: Use the On-line visa renewal service offered by the International Centre. Advantages: ƒ Cost is cheaper ($150 instead of $200 at Immigration New Zealand) if you apply 7 days prior to your current visa expiry date ƒ In the last 6 days the cost increases to $230.00 ƒ On the day your current visa expires on-line visa applications cannot be accepted ƒ On-line visa applications are quicker as less forms and documents required ƒ Your passport is held in the ACG safe and is not sent to Immigration New Zealand Option 2: Either complete the required forms and then: Post your application to: Student Applications, Private Bag 92223, Auckland Mail Centre, Auckland. Or place your application in the drop box in your Immigration branch foyer. Your local Auckland branches are: ¾ City: 450 Queen St, Auckland CBD ¾ Manukau: Level 3, Westfield Tower, Westfield Plaza, Corner Great South & Wiri Station Roads ¾ Henderson: 35 Paramount Drive (off Lincoln Road) Please Remember: You can no longer apply for your Student Permit in person at Auckland INZ branches.

For more information go to:

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 3

c) Payment / Refund of Fees International student fees should be paid to the “New Zealand International College Charitable Trust”. Any refunds that are due to students when they leave will be paid from the New Zealand International College Charitable Trust. The Contracts of Enrolment are included in Appendix 2. Printed below is the Refund Policy that is part of the Contract of Enrolment. Refund Policy Cancellation / Withdrawal (Schools and Colleges only –this is the policy that applies to ACG English and other High School Programmes in ACG. The policy for Norton College is different) All notices of cancellation / withdrawal must be made in writing to the Academic Registrar • • •

If written notice of cancellation is received between 2 and 5 months prior to course commencement, a refund of all tuition fees less a cancellation fee of twenty percent (20%) of the course fee shall apply. If written notice of cancellation is received between 1 and 2 months (30 and 60 days) prior to course commencement, a refund of all tuition fees less a cancellation fee of thirty percent (30%) of the course fee shall apply If written notice of cancellation is received less that 1 month (30 days) prior to course commencement there will be no refund of tuition fees.

Refunds • If the College withdraws an Offer of Place, or is unable to provide the course, all tuition fees are fully refundable. • Where a conditional offer of place is made and the academic condition is not met, the tuition fees paid for the course will be refunded in full. • A notice of withdrawal due to exceptional circumstances may be accepted as grounds for a refund of tuition fees. This is subject to the provision of acceptable documentary evidence in support of the application for the refund, and subject to the date the Academic Registrar receives written notice of withdrawal. This includes: o Inability to obtain a student visa; o Serious illness or disability of the student; o Death of a student or close family member (parent, sibling, spouse or child); o Political, civil or natural event that prevents arrival of the student • In the event of a withdrawal from a course/s, the College must be reimbursed for any fees, which have been paid or incurred by the College or other representatives. Where the College refunds the tuition fees, the student’s representative / student’s agent fees will be deducted from the refund. The cost of any additional services that were completed prior to withdrawal will also need to be retained.

No Refunds • The College will not refund the tuition fees of any student whose Offer of Place is withdrawn through the supplying of incorrect and / or fraudulent documentation, from a period beginning 4 weeks prior to course commencement. • The College will not refund the tuition fees of any student who is removed from the College roll through non attendance and / or is expelled by the College Board Payment of Refunds • Refunds will be made by bank draft / telegraphic transfer in New Zealand Dollars or foreign currency equivalent at the time of the refund • The bank draft / telegraphic transfer will be made out to the student and sent to the student’s home country address, unless other arrangements have been approved by the Academic Registrar.

The college reserves the right to amend its fees. For the most up to date fees, please refer to our website: d) • • • • •

Theft of property Always report all cases of theft to the police, regardless of the value of the items. Ask the Police to give you a report to indicate you have advised the police See the International Student Support Officer, who can assist you to make a claim against your Southern Cross Insurance Policy. Southern Cross will not process a claim until you have provided written evidence that you have reported the theft to the police DO NOT LEND MONEY TO FRIENDS – many students have lost large sums of money when ‘friends’ leave without paying back their debts. It is very difficult to get this money back. Money lent to friends cannot be claimed from your insurance.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 4

e) •

Loss or theft of a passport Carefully check the last places you have visited, especially your room. You may have placed it in a different place than you usually do.

If you do not locate it you must: • Report the theft or loss to the police • Place an advertisement in the New Zealand Herald in the “Lost and Found” column, advising a passport has been lost and if found how to contact you. • Inform Immigration New Zealand that you have lost your passport and that you have advised the police and placed an advertisement in the New Zealand Herald. This is absolutely essential if your student visa is about to expire as in some situations Immigration New Zealand will not renew a student visa once it has expired. • Contact your own Embassy or Consular Representative in New Zealand, advise them you have lost your passport and you need to apply for a new passport. Your Embassy will have a form to complete to enable you to request a replacement passport and you may be asked to supply the following: i. Evidence from the police that you have reported it stolen/lost ii. A copy of the New Zealand Herald advertisement to indicate how you have tried to find your passport. iii. Passport photographs etc. When you have your new passport you must take the replacement passport and a Reconfirmation of your Offer of Place from the Academic Colleges Group to the Immigration New Zealand to enable them to reissue your Student Visa and Permit Bring your new passport with your Student Visa / Permit to the International Centre so we can keep a copy of your passport on file. We also suggest you scan a copy of your passport and store it in your email inbox, or take a photocopy of your passport and place it in a safe place. Hopefully you will never have to use this copy.

f) Working in New Zealand International students holding a student visa enrolled in English language courses are not allowed to work unless you have an IELTS 5.0. This means that as a student of ACG English School, you are not allowed to seek any kind of employment, as this would be in breach of your student visa. Working illegally could result in having your student visa suspended and your place at your ACG College withdrawn.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 5

Students aged 16 and over in an ACG college under certain conditions can apply to work up to 20 hours per week and full time in the summer holidays. Your parents and the college must approve the request. Students in the University of Auckland Certificate in Foundation Studies (Standard and Fast Track Entry) may also apply to work. Students in the AUT International Foundation Certificate should be given the ability to work automatically. g) Complaints Procedure All ACG schools have agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the New Zealand Ministry of Education. If you have a complaint about your accommodation or any other related issue that has not been dealt with to your satisfaction, you should follow the complaints process outlined below: “I have a complaint”

“What do I do?”

STEP ONE Contact one of the following people for assistance Complaint is about …

Who to see …

Accommodation Matters Accounts Attendance issues Course Plans

Accommodation Manager Academic Registrar Attendance Officer A Senior Manager

Examination Entries Examination Results / Marking Medical / Travel Insurance

A Senior Manager Your subject teacher International Student Support Officer

Principal School Report Staff in the International Centre

Group Principal or Chief Executive Assistant Principal Academic Registrar


Your Dean or Harassment Officer

Subject choices

Your Dean

Staff at your school

Deputy Principal

“But I have done that and I am still not satisfied?”

“What do I do next?”

STEP TWO Put your complaint in writing on the form available from your Dean or Senior Manager and make an appointment to see your Principal. “What do I do next if I believe my Principal or Campus Manager has not resolved the issue for me?” STEP THREE Put your complaint in writing and write to: The International Education Appeal Authority, C/- Ministry of Education, PO Box 1666, Wellington, New Zealand.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 6



First Names: -


Student ID #:-


My Complaint is:

I have seen the following people to solve my problem:

I am not satisfied with their assistance because:

I would like to make an appointment to see the Principal / Campus Manager to assist me to resolve the problem. Please hand this form to: The Deputy Principal or his/her PA, who will then advise a time when you can have a meeting

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 7

Section Two: Adjusting to life in Auckland a)


You may have come from a warmer climate and Auckland may feel cold to you. In winter it will be even colder – and wetter. Adjusting to this change of climate may be difficult for you at first. The winter temperature ranges from 8 to 16 degrees Celsius. If you feel cold, do put on some warmer clothes. If you feel cold in bed at night, ask your homestay carer for another blanket. The homestay carer may offer you an electric blanket for your bed. This blanket is safe and will help to keep you warm. The electric blanket goes on the bottom of the bed under the sheets. Make sure you turn it off before you go to sleep. It is a good idea to have a raincoat or umbrella with you at all times in Auckland. Sometimes we have four seasons in one day! b)

Sun Smart

1. Sun Protection The sun in New Zealand is very intense. As a result New Zealand has one of the highest rates of melanoma in the world. It is important that you reduce the risks of sun damage by ¾ Using sunscreen with SPF of >30. Apply it a) 15 minutes before going out in the sun b) to all skin that will be exposed to sun e.g. face; top of feet; lips; eyelids c) every 30 minutes if swimming ¾ Wear a hat ¾ Wear sunglasses with UV protection ¾ Stay out of sun between 10.00am and 4.00pm ¾ Take shade with you e.g. umbrella 2. Sunburn If you do get sun burnt ¾ Avoid further sun exposure until redness, peeling have disappeared ¾ Apply sunburn treatment e.g. aloe vera ¾ Drink plenty of water to replenish fluid needs Remember to drink plenty of fluids at all times when enjoying the outdoors to avoid dehydration. c)


If you have cash with you please put it in a bank account as soon as possible. DO NOT LEAVE LARGE SUMS OF MONEY in your room. Ask your homestay family to help you open a bank account. Staff at the International Centre can provide you with a letter for the bank to certify that you are a student enrolled at ACG. d)

Culture Shock

When you first arrive in New Zealand, you may find life very different - from the language spoken, to the accommodation you live in, to the food that New Zealanders eat. It may take a little time for you to adjust to the New Zealand way of life. Make sure that you talk to your homestay or your tutor if you are unhappy. Culture shock is bought on by anxiety from being in a completely unfamiliar environment. This may bring on a feeling of helplessness and a longing to return home to what you know and understand.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 8

Nearly everyone will go through these emotions. Patience and time will help you adjust. Culture shock has four main stages. Stage 1 Most people are delighted by the new sights, sounds and activities. This is the “honeymoon” stage and may last a few days or a few weeks. Stage 2 When people begin to cope with the real conditions of life in the new country, their attitude changes. A negative attitude can grow out of the difficulty of adjusting to a new family, a new lifestyle and maybe a new language. Some people get angry, some very homesick and some unhappy. Some feel helpless and feel that nothing is right with the host country. People group together with others from their own country and criticize the host country, its ways and its people. Stage 3 As knowledge of the culture, host family, school and language develops, the attitude changes to, “this is a problem, but I can cope”. Instead of criticizing, people begin to joke about the difficulties. Everything starts to look brighter. Stage 4 Now the customs of the people and the way of life no longer seem strange. Life is becoming enjoyable. You can accept the people, their ways and the culture. Maybe you won’t want to go back home!

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 9


New Zealand Police

In New Zealand the police are approachable and committed to assisting all citizens wherever possible. You should trust the New Zealand police and seek their assistance if you are in danger. Call 111 when you need immediate help.

What for? • • • • • •

Anything that is happening now or has just happened, and People are in danger, or Property is in danger of loss or damage, or A crime is being or has just been committed and the people who did it are nearby There is a major public inconvenience, or Serious traffic accident

Other traffic accidents or incidents call * 555. Or contact your nearest police station to report incidents or crimes that have already happened sometime in the past.


Medical Emergencies

All international students are required to have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. Please refer to Section One: Medical Insurance If you are living with a host family they may take you to their own doctor or the nearest medical centre. You will have to pay, but if you keep the receipt you will be able to claim the cost back from your insurance company. You should always carry your insurance card, pay for treatment if necessary and claim it back later. Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services. Full entitlements can be found on the Ministry of Health website The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance to all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors but students may still be liable for all other medical costs. Details available on the ACC website at

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 10

Section Three: Accommodation Following the guidelines in the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, ACG has the following five categories of accommodation: Under 18 year olds: 1) Living with parents 2) Parent-designated caregiver (a relative or close family friend). 3) Hostel – currently not available but planning to open again subject to regulatory approval at a new location 4) Homestay – families can host to a maximum of three international students Over 18 year olds have two additional options 5) Princeton Apartments or Unilodge 6) Independent – own accommodation (Flat, apartment, own homestay for students aged 18 years or over) Under the Code of Practice: It is compulsory for all under 18 year olds to choose Option 1, 2, 3 or 4 At ACG we recommend all students go into homestay of the hostel for at least the first three months in New Zealand. There are a number of reasons for this: 9 It is safer. You have people looking out for you and giving you advice on safe living in New Zealand. 9 It is the best way for you to practice your English. Talking to the homestay family is a simple and effective way of building up vocabulary and practising speaking – a vital component of the IELTS examination. 9 You will receive breakfast and dinner. It is essential that students eat well as study requires a lot of energy and it is important that you have a balanced diet – not too reliant on fast foods.

An accommodation officer is available 24 hours a day to assist you.

Phone 09 377 7127 during business hours Or If you need their help in an emergency situation outside of business hours call

021 288 9849

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 11

1. LIVING WITH PARENTS Parents’ responsibilities • To live full-time at the same address as their child • To inform ACG if they are leaving New Zealand • To have a guardian visa if the child is 11 years old and younger • To inform ACG of any contact or address changes. ACG’s responsibilities • To visit the parent and child in their home once a term to offer support.

2. PARENT-DESIGNATED CAREGIVER (A RELATIVE OR CLOSE FAMILY FRIEND): Parents of each student with a designated caregiver are required to • Sign an indemnity document stating that the designated caregiver is a relative or close family friend and that the parents have selected the accommodation for their child subject to ACG approving the accommodation. • On or before enrolment ACG will meet and establish communication with the designated caregiver. • The relationship between the designated caregiver and student’s parents will be checked to confirm that they are a bona fide relative or parent’s friend.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 12

3. Hostel Currently not available but planning to open again subject to receiving regulatory approval at a new location (available to students who attend a programme in the city)

• • • • • • •

Within 5 to 10 minutes walk of all ACG Colleges Single rooms; shared bathrooms and kitchenette – self catering Staff who live on site to maintain security Video surveillance of the entry to the building Security swipe cards to access the lifts and their rooms TV lounge, swimming pool, theatre and a deck Additional fees for your own telephone and Internet

HOSTEL RULES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Students are required to abide by all rules set by the Board of Directors. Rules are based on respect for others and their property, and on ensuring that the college maintains an excellent reputation in the community. The Board of Directors may from time to time add or change rules as it sees fit. Every reasonable effort will be made to advise students of such changes either during classes, on notice boards or by letter. In addition, students must respect and abide by New Zealand laws and the Code of Practice. A breach of New Zealand law may be deemed to be a breach of a college’s rules. A breach of any rule may result in the expulsion of the student concerned, or, a student may be suspended or incur other penalties. The Disciplinary Committee of the Board of Directors has the final authority to determine the consequences for a student in the event of a breach of any rule. In particular, it is important that the hostel rules are respected so that good relations may be maintained with the community in general and, in particular, with those offering this service.

All students must sign the Licence Agreement of the apartments where the hostel is located 1. Courtesies and Respect ƒ At all times students are expected to be tolerant and courteous towards staff and other people residing in the hostel ƒ All students are expected to show respect for the rights, possessions and property of others. ƒ At all times students must respond to the requests of on site management 2. Drinking Alcohol ƒ It is against New Zealand law to purchase alcohol or drink in a public place (such as a beach or park) or have alcohol in your possession in a public place if you are under 18 years and not with a parent or guardian. ƒ Consumption of alcohol is not permitted in the hostel 3. Drugs ƒ It is against New Zealand law to buy, sell, use or possess illegal drugs. The use, possession and/or supply of illegal drugs (for example marijuana, heroin and amphetamines) may result in serious penalties, including prison and deportation. ƒ Use of drugs in the hostel is prohibited 4. Smoking ƒ It is illegal in New Zealand to purchase cigarettes or tobacco if you are less than 18 years of age. ƒ You must not smoke in the hostel Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 13

5. Curfew Times ƒ Communication between the student and the hostel manager is important. It is the responsibility of the student to advise the manager of their whereabouts at all times. Where the student has a mobile telephone, the number must be given to the manager and the college. ƒ Students must be in the hostel before 9:00 pm each night. ƒ Any exception to this time must be negotiated with the manager or the college before 9.00am that morning. ƒ Students must sign in at the reception. 6. Visitors ƒ All visitors to the hostel must sign the visitor’s book on arrival and when they leave. ƒ All visitors must leave before 10.00pm each night – no visitors to arrive after 10.00pm. ƒ At no times will males be permitted into females’ rooms or females into males’ rooms.

4. HOMESTAY ACCOMMODATION (available to all ACG students at all campuses) You and your homestay have a number of rights and responsibilities. Try to remember that, just as you feel a little shy and strange with your homestay carer, they may feel the same towards you. Here is some information to help you feel more comfortable in your homestay: Homestay responsibilities: Homestays are required to sign a contract with ACG to provide the following services for the homestay fee The homestay is required to: • Provide breakfast and dinner Monday to Friday (inclusive) • Breakfast, lunch and dinner, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays • A bedroom with a bed, bed linen, a desk and chair, clothes storage facilities, satisfactory lighting for studying • Laundry facilities Reasonable use of the facilities in the home, such as TV and telephone • The homestay is required to show you how to get to the college and home again by public transport for the first day of your study • The homestay is requested to contact the college if you cannot attend class • The homestay is required to contact the ACG Accommodation Officer who may notify the police if you have not arrived home at night by 11pm and you have not contacted the homestay to tell them where you are • The homestay is responsible for taking care of your physical needs and ensuring you are happy and comfortable in your home

You are expected to: • Keep your bedroom clean and tidy • Help with the dishes after dinner • Keep your phone calls to 15 minutes • Take short showers and keep the bathroom dry and tidy • Phone your host family if you are not coming home for dinner or will be late • Spend some time talking with the homestay carer • Respect the homestay carer’s wishes regarding smoking • Respect the homestay carer and their property Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 14



a) General Manners It is very important to remember to say "please" and "thank you". Talk with your homestay. Be considerate: • Turn off appliances if not in use • Call if you are not going to be home for dinner • Follow rules re smoking, alcohol, gambling, drugs, driving… • Using the bathroom / shower / telephone… b) Eating Breakfast A typical New Zealand breakfast consists of cereal, toast and a hot drink. It is normal in New Zealand families to ‘help yourself’ to breakfast. If your homestay carer asks you to help yourself to breakfast, you can: • Take the food out of the kitchen cupboards • Prepare your bowl of cereal and milk • Put the bread in the toaster • Get a cup out of the kitchen cupboard and make tea or coffee Lunch is often a cold meal that can be made up of bread, cheese, salad vegetables and chicken. In winter, there is often hot soup available. You will be able to prepare your own lunch from the food that has been put out or which your homestay carer has shown you. Lunch is provided by the homestay carer at weekends and on public holidays only. At the weekends, your homestay carer will prepare lunch for you or may ask you to ‘help yourself’ to lunch. Dinner is the biggest meal of the day in New Zealand. Families in New Zealand usually eat dinner in the evenings between 6pm and 8pm. It is a hot meal and can include chicken, beef, vegetables, rice, noodles or potatoes. This is often the time when families sit at a table and talk about the day’s activities. If you are unsure about how to behave at the dinner table, please watch your homestay carer or ask them what you should do. After meals you can: • Say: “Thank you very much” or “Thank you, it was delicious” • Take the dishes to the kitchen for washing • Ask: “Can I help you?” c) Cooking Some homestay carers allow you to use the kitchen facilities to cook and some prefer to do the cooking for you. If you want to cook, please ask your homestay carer first. When you have finished cooking, please wash all the dishes, clean the areas you have used for cooking and tidy the kitchen. d) Showers In New Zealand we pay for the water we use and the electricity to heat the water. It is normal to shower for 5 to 7 minutes only. Please do not stay in the bathroom for longer than 15 minutes. There may be other people who need to use the bathroom. When showering or washing, try not to splash water around and always wipe shower walls and the bathroom floor after you have showered. Please do not leave hair in the bath, shower or hand wash basin. Ask your homestay carer where to hang your wet towel to dry. You are required to provide your own soap, shampoo/conditioner and toothpaste. Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 15

It is normal to shower once a day in New Zealand and to wear clean clothes every day. e) Using the telephone Calls within the Auckland area from a home phone are not charged separately. The telephone account holder will be charged for calls to mobiles (021, 022, 027 or 029 numbers) and 0900 numbers. If the homestay family agrees to your use of the phone it is important to remember that you will be responsible for paying for these calls plus calls that are made to areas outside of the free calling area (other New Zealand cities or other countries). We would recommend you obtain your own phone card which will enable you to make cheaper calls than Telecom NZ will usually charge. Some New Zealand families use their home phone in their business so we request that you do not talk on the phone for longer than 15 minutes at one time. ACG understands that the time difference between your country and New Zealand may make calling your family a little difficult, but please do not use the homestay phone after 10pm unless by permission from your homestay carer. It is important to respect the host family in this way. If you have a mobile can you please give your homestay family the number – there may be times they need to contact you. f) Using the Internet Some homestays have Internet available and they may allow you to use their provider. Others will require you to get your own connection – they will assist you to do this. You are responsible for all charges involved with you using the internet. g) Your bedroom Your homestay carer may do some of the cleaning of your room for you. However, some host mothers request that you clean your own room. Ask your host mother where the cleaning equipment is and how to do this. It is important to keep your bedroom tidy and make your bed every day. If you wish to keep your own food in the homestay, please ask the homestay carer where you can store the food. Please do not store food in your bedroom. It is important that your bedroom windows are opened for some time each day to get fresh air in the room. Please ask for permission from your homestay carer before you put any pictures on the bedroom walls. It is acceptable to keep your door closed sometimes if you want some privacy. You may want to spend some of your time studying in your room, and it is a good idea to also spend some of your time talking with the homestay carer. When you are going to go to bed, please say ‘goodnight’ to your homestay carer. h) Laundry Your homestay carer may do your laundry. Please ask your homestay carer where to put your dirty clothes. You may prefer to do your own laundry. Your homestay carer will be happy to show you how to wash your clothes and where to put your wet washing. It is not acceptable to hang wet clothes in your bedroom. i) Expenses If you go out with your homestay carer (eg to a movie, a show) you are expected to pay your own expenses. However, if you are going out for a meal with the homestay carer, your homestay carer is required to pay for the meal. j) Transport Your homestay carer will help you to travel to the college on the first day and will also show you how to get home by bus or train. The homestay carer can help you to buy a bus or train pass or ticket.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 16

It is important to remember to carry your homestay’s name, address and phone number at all times. Bus drivers are generally helpful, so if you are unsure about where to get off the bus, ask the driver. j) Coming home times Your homestay carer will tell you what time dinner will be served. If you are going to be home late, please phone your homestay carer and tell them that you will be late. If you do not need dinner, please contact your homestay carer to tell them. If you are going to be late home and you would like your homestay carer to keep your dinner, please contact the homestay carer and ask them to keep your dinner. If you are under 18 years of age, you are required to sleep at your homestay’s house every night. If you are over 18 years old and going to stay at a friend’s house for the night, please tell your homestay family your friend’s name, address and home phone number. A cell-phone number is not acceptable. k) Changing homestays If for any reason you are having difficulties, please do not hesitate to talk to us. Remember we are here to help you. If you wish to change your homestay, please tell us and arrangements will be made to move you. You must inform the Accommodation Office and the homestay family of the date you wish to move, at least two weeks before moving out. If you want to leave immediately in most situations you will still need to provide 2 weeks notice.

l) •


Holiday breaks If you return to your home country during term breaks, the homestay family may be asked to retain the room and look after the luggage while you are away. During this time we ask you to pay a retainer of $70.00 per week. We like to give two weeks’ notice of an intended holiday to the homestay family. You can collect Holiday Plan forms from the Accommodation Office or your tutor

If you must return to your home country at short notice - the two weeks’ notice period may be waived.

If the homestay family asks you to move out while the family is on holiday, no retainer is paid.

Please ensure your homestay family is aware of holiday and term times of the college you are attending.

All payments are made to the homestay by ACG. Please do not make any payments directly to your homestay.

You are required to arrange your own accommodation after you have completed your studies at the College, unless by special arrangements with the Accommodation Manager. HOMESTAY RULES FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

Students are required to abide by all rules set by the Board of Directors. Rules are based on respect for others and their property, and on ensuring that the college maintains an excellent reputation in the community. The Board of Directors may from time to time add or change rules as it sees fit. Every reasonable effort will be made to advise students of such changes either during classes, on notice boards or by letter. In addition, students must respect and abide by New Zealand laws. A breach of New Zealand law may be deemed to be a breach of a college’s rules. Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 17

A breach of any rule may result in the expulsion of the student concerned, or, a student may be suspended or incur other penalties. The Disciplinary Committee of the Board of Directors has the final authority to determine the consequences for a student in the event of a breach of any rule.


1. Show courtesy and respect at all times towards homestay, family, other students and friends. 2. The law says all students under 18 years of age MUST live in homestay or with an approved caregiver or family member. Any other arrangements regarding homestay must be discussed with the homestay officer. 3. It is illegal to buy alcohol until you are 18 yrs old. 4. It is illegal to drink alcohol in a public place, like a park or beach. 5. It is illegal to buy, sell, use or possess illegal drugs, such as cocaine, heroin, cannabis, marijuana, ecstasy, ice, P. If you are caught with these substances you will face a fine, deportation (forced to leave New Zealand) and/or jail. 6. It is illegal to gamble in a New Zealand casino if you are under 20 years old. 1. It is illegal to place a bet on a horse or 2. use the TAB or 3. bet at a racing track until you are 18 years old It is illegal to buy an Instant Kiwi ticket until you are 16 years old. 7. It is illegal to purchase cigarettes/tobacco until you are 18 years old. 8. Curfew Communication between yourself, your homestay and your school is very important. ƒ It is your responsibility to inform your homestay of your whereabouts at all times. ƒ Give your mobile phone number to your homestay and your school. ƒ Call the homestay if you are late returning home. New Zealand law states that: ƒ A student under 14 years old may not be left at home alone without someone over 14 years old being present. ƒ Students under 14 years old must go directly home from school unless the homestay gives permission for the student to arrive home a little later. ƒ Students under 18 years old are not permitted to be left alone overnight in the homestay. ƒ Students under 18 years old are not permitted to stay overnight in accommodation that is not school approved.

Curfew times Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 18

Age 11 to 14 years old 15 years old 16 & 17 years old

Sunday - Thursday 6.00 pm 7.00 pm 7.00 pm

Friday & Saturday 6.00 pm 7.00 pm 10.00 pm

Students over 18 should negotiate appropriate curfew times directly with the homestay caregiver.

(iii) SOME USEFUL TRANSLATIONS WHICH MAY HELP YOU TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR HOST FAMILY IN THE FIRST DAYS OF YOUR ARRIVAL IN NEW ZEALAND 下面有一些简单的英语句子可以帮助你在第一天到达住宿家庭时与他们建立一个良好的关系 Of course we would expect you to begin conversing in English as soon as you can, as the opportunity to practise your English is one of the most important aspects of homestay accommodation. 同时我们也期盼你能尽快地用英文与你的住宿家庭沟通,这是住宿家庭所提供给你最好练习语言的环境和机会 My favourite food is ……… 我最喜欢吃的东西是 ……… I don’t like to eat…….. 我不太喜欢吃 ……… I have had enough to eat, thank you 我已经吃饱了,谢谢 I will be home for dinner at……….. 我会在………点钟回家吃晚饭 Could you keep my dinner please? 能不能帮我把晚饭留起来? I am still a little hungry – could I have some more to eat please? 我还觉得有点饿,能不能再来一些? Can I help you with the dishes? 我可以帮你洗碗吗? I do understand how to get to and from school 我知道要怎样去学校和从学校回家 I do NOT understand how to get to and from school 我不知道要怎样去学校和从学校回家 I am feeling well 我感觉不错 (身体健康,心情良好) I am feeling unwell 我不太舒服 (身体不适) Could you take me to a doctor please? 可不可以请你带我去看医生 …… as soon as possible …… …… 越快越好…… May I have an extra blanket please? Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 19

可不可以再给我一条毯子? Please can I phone my parents? 我可以打一通电话给我父母吗? Can you help me to get a phone line in my bedroom? 可不可以请你帮我在我的房间装一条电话线? Can you help me to buy a SIM card? 可不可以请你帮我买一张手机卡 (SIM Card) Can you help me to buy a bus ticket? 可不可以请你帮我买一张公共汽车票 Can you please take me/show me to the supermarket? (Stationery, personal items etc) 可不可以请你带我 / 教我去超级市场? (买文具、日用品)

Some useful translation for typical responses 一些基本回答问题的方法: Yes 是的 No Good 很好 Very well Not Good 不好 I don’t understand 我不明白,不理解,不懂 (礼貌地讲法) I don’t know 我不知道,不晓得 (随意的讲法)

不是 非常好 (礼貌地讲法)

Questionnaire for the First Days with Your New Host Family / Newly Arrived Student 新生在寄宿家庭的常见问题 What do I call you? Mum, Dad or first name? 我该怎么称呼你呢?妈妈,爸爸或者名字 Am I expected to: 我应该 Make my bed, and please show me how 整理自己的床铺吗?请告诉我该怎么做? Keep my room tidy at all times 总是保持房间整齐 Keep the bathroom clean, and please show me how to use the bathroom 总是保持浴室的整洁吗?请告诉我该怎么用浴室? What other jobs do you want me to do? 我还需要做些什么? Should I wash my own clothes? Where do I put my wet clothes? 我要自己洗衣服吗?湿衣服该晾在哪里? Where do I keep my clothes until wash day? 在洗衣服之前,脏衣服我该放在那里? Should I iron my own clothes? 我要自己熨衣服吗?

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 20

May I use the iron, washing machine, sewing machine, etc? 我可以用电熨斗,洗衣机,缝纫机吗? Where can I keep my bathroom toilet accessories? 我的梳洗用品应该放在哪里? When is the best time for me to use the bathroom on weekday mornings? 工作日的早晨我几时用浴室比较好? When is the best time for me to have a shower? In the morning or evening? 我什么时候洗澡比较好,早晨还是晚上? Would you please show me how to use the shower? 你能告诉我该如何使用淋浴房吗? What time do we eat? 我们通常什么时候吃饭? Do I have a regular chore at mealtimes? For example: 用餐时间我要做些什么? Set the table 摆放餐具 Clear the table 收拾餐桌 Wash up/dry up/stack the dishwasher 洗碗,擦干,整齐放入洗碗机 May I help myself to food and drink in moderation at any time or must I ask first? 在非吃饭时间,我能适当自己取些是食物或饮料吗?或者我必需先问呢? May I cook family meals? 我可以自己煮些家常菜吗? What areas are strictly private, e.g., bar, study, sewing room, pantry? 哪些地方我不可以随便进入,例如:酒吧书房,缝衣间,储物间 May I put up pictures, posters, etc., in my bedroom? 我可以在自己的房间里粘贴图片吗? Where can I store my luggage and suitcase? 我的行李箱该放在哪里? What time must I get up on weekday mornings? 工作日我该几点起床? What time must I get up at weekends and in holidays? 周末和假日我该几点起床? What time must I go to bed on weekdays? 工作日我该几点睡觉? Do I have to ask you if I want to go out? Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 21

我外出需要事先说明吗? What time must I be in at night if I go out? Can exceptions be made by special arrangement? 我晚上外出必需几点回家?在说明之后可不可以有例外。 Can I have friends to stay overnight? 我的朋友可以在家过夜? Can I invite friends of both sexes around during the day? 在白天我可不可以邀请同性或异性朋友来家里玩? What are the rules about local phone calls? 打市内电话什么要注意的吗? What are the rules about overseas calls? 打国际长途有什么要注意的吗? Do you have an e-mail facility, and can I use it? 我能在家收发电子邮件吗? What are the rules for internet use? 你对我使用互联网有什么要求呢? What is the procedure for posting letters? 我该怎么寄信呢? Do family members have any dislikes or hates, e.g., chewing gum, music, lack of punctuality, people being interrupted when reading the newspaper, smoking? 家里还有什么不喜欢或者讨厌的?例如:吃口香糖,音乐,不守时,看报纸时被打 断,抽烟 How do I get around? What is the bus route? 外出我该怎么坐车呢?可不可告诉我巴士的路线图? What are your rules about transport? 对于交通,你有什么要求吗? May I play the stereo or watch TV, etc? 我能自己看电视或录相,影碟吗? Do you expect me to give you a call if I am going to be 20 or 30 minutes late? From school? From any other outing? 如果我放学或外出回家迟到底20或30分钟,需要打电话回家吗? Check dates of birthdays of Host Mum, Dad, Brother, Sister (from host family papers) 注意寄宿家庭成员的生日。你可以从你的寄宿家庭简介里获知。

We have provided these translations in Mandarin because at the present time the majority of our students are from China. If you require translations into other languages ACG is happy to provide these

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 22

STUDENTS WHO ARE OVER 18 5) APARTMENTS If you choose to find your own accommodation we would urge you to look first at Princeton Apartments or Unilodge. Located in the heart of Auckland city, within easy walking distance to ACG’s city schools and colleges. These apartments are modern, purpose-built, self-contained and fully furnished apartment-style complexes for students. The residential management team provides students with comfortable living facilities, high security systems and an environment conductive to academic study. Apartments can offer: ƒ Some are fully furnished self-contained apartments with cooking utensils and facilities ƒ Excellent location in Auckland city centre ƒ Single or twin-share ƒ Dedicated broadband Internet access in every room ƒ Direct-dial phone line ƒ Professional cleaning services ƒ Sky TV lounge or movie theatre ƒ Princeton has an on-site café and restaurant ƒ Unilodge has a swimming pool and small gym ƒ Experienced and friendly multilingual staff ƒ On-site management and security ƒ Weekly fees included power; hot water and weekly apartment cleaning services. ƒ Princeton weekly fees include linen, laundry and swap Unilodge


6) GOING FLATTING: We urge you to be very careful when entering into a tenancy arrangement. There are pamphlets available in the Accommodation Office at your school or you can see your tutor for advice.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 23

Golden rule: Get a tenancy agreement. If you need any further advice: phone 0800 83 62 62 or visit

THE ACCOMMODATION SERVICES TEAM OF ACG IS LOCATED AT: International Centre Level 1c, 345 Queen Street Phone 09 377 7127 ACG Strathallan College Phone 09 295 0834 Accommodation staff also visit the Parnell Campus on a Tuesday and Thursday afternoon during term time If you have any concerns or problems in your accommodation please come in and talk about it as soon as possible – we will listen and help you to overcome any difficulties you may have.

An accommodation officer is available 24 hours a day to assist you. If you need their help in an emergency situation outside of business hours call on

021 288 9849

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 24

Section Four: Laws and Legislation Legislation that may be relevant to international students includes: • The Immigration Act 1987, for student • The Fisheries Act 1996 for the laws responsibilities relating to visas controlling the taking and possession /permits of finfish, shellfish and rock lobster. • The Disputes Tribunals Act 1988, for • The Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, provisions relating to small claims for information about guarantees for goods and services. • The Education Act 1989, for students’ rights and responsibilities relating to • The Fair Trading Act 1986, for education in New Zealand disclosure of consumer information relating to the supply of goods and • The Smoke free Environments Act services, and product safety. 1990, for the legal age to sell and buy cigarettes, and other provisions • The Residential Tenancies Act 1987, relating to the use of cigarettes and for provisions relating to tobacco. accommodation. • The Human Rights Act 1993, for provisions on harassment and discrimination. • The Sale of Liquor Act 1989, for information about legal ages for purchase and consumption of liquor. • The Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1975, for provisions relating to appropriate practices in the sale of motor vehicles.

The legislation can be viewed online at Please take particular note of the following laws: a) Drinking alcohol In New Zealand it is against the law for people under the age of 18 years to buy alcohol or drink alcohol in public or go to nightclubs. We ask that you respect these laws. You may be asked for an identification card when you purchase alcohol. There are severe penalties if you drive a car after drinking alcohol. Consumption of alcohol in the homestay is at the discretion of the homestay caregiver. Contact the Alcohol Advisory Council of New Zealand for more information

b) Smoking The minimum age for buying cigarettes in New Zealand is 18 years and no one under the age of 18 is expected to smoke. In New Zealand many people do not smoke and do not like the smell of smoke. Public buildings such as restaurants and theatres are smoke free – this means you must not smoke in them. You must not smoke inside your homestay. N.B.

All ACG buildings are smoke free areas. Please do not smoke in or near your school.



Gambling is taking a risk or playing a game in the hope of gaining money, success or an advantage over other people. - Includes casino games; card games; horse racing; internet gambling etc. Do you have a gambling problem? Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 25

If you • have tried but cannot stop gambling • do not have time to study because you spend too much time gambling or on the internet • do not get enough sleep because of the time spend gambling • are absent from school because you are gambling • have borrowed money to gamble • have money worries because you have lost money gambling • have lost friends through gambling Then you may have a gambling problem! What you can do about it: Talk to • Your tutor • The School Nurse • Student Welfare Manager • Or phone the Gambling Helpline – 0800 664 262 d)

Drugs ¾ It is illegal in New Zealand to buy, sell, use or possess illegal drugs such as marijuana, heroin and amphetamines. ¾ Be aware that ephedrine and pseudoephedrine-based products, such as Contac

NT tablets, are subject to legal restrictions ¾ Penalties for drug offences are high – do not be tempted to possess or use illegal drugs as your student visa will be terminated if you are convicted of a drug offence. ¾ Most drugs in this category are highly addictive and cause physical or psychological dependence. If you are concerned about your own drug problem or someone else close to you seek help from • Your tutor • The School Nurse • The Student Welfare Manager • Or phone 0800 787 797 – Drug and Alcohol Helpline

Do not import illegal drugs into New Zealand. The importation of drugs could result in your imprisonment. Be wary of carrying packages or baggage for strangers. e)

Recreational Fishing Rules

It is important that all recreational fishers know the limits, and help conserve the resource. The fishing limits are different for the four main recreational fishing areas in New Zealand. For rules phone 0800 478537.

Fishing is one of New Zealand's most popular recreational activities. Each year thousands of New Zealanders and visitors to New Zealand go fishing and take large numbers of finfish, rock lobsters

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 26

and shellfish. These quantities, from a very wide range of species, can seriously affect local fisheries. Recreational fishers are required to observe relatively simple rules with the main points to remember being: Don't take more than the daily allowable limit Don't take any undersized fish Don't sell or trade any of your catch Only those persons physically taking finfish, rock lobster and shellfish are entitled to claim their catch within the allowable daily limits All undersized fish, fish taken in excess of the daily limit and fish caught with undersized net mesh, must be returned to the sea at a point as near as possible to the place from where they were taken.

Fishers are also required to fully understand the restrictions on the fishing gear and methods that can be used. In the Fishery Management Areas there are regional and local rules and restrictions on the use of various types of fishing gear including: set nets, fyke nets, drag nets set lines lobster pots scuba equipment.

Read the signs at beaches and waterways carefully. Legal sizes of fish and shellfish will be stated as well as quantity allowed per person. DO NOT EXCEED THE LIMITS – THE PENALTIES ARE VERY HIGH.

f) Discrimination and Harassment In New Zealand all citizens are protected by law against unlawful discrimination and harassment. Discrimination occurs when a person is treated differently from another person in the same or similar circumstances • If can be direct or indirect • it is not always unlawful

Unlawful discrimination Discrimination is only unlawful when it occurs in one of the prohibited grounds and in one of the prohibited areas. Other forms of discrimination are also unlawful, including racial disharmony, racial harassment, sexual harassment and victimization. Prohibited grounds of discrimination (Section 21 of the Act) • • • • •

• • • • •

age (from age 16) colour disability employment status ethical belief

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 27

ethnic or national origins family status marital status political opinion race

• •

religious belief sex

Areas of public life • • •

access to public places, vehicles and facilities education employment

sexual orientation

industrial and professional associates, qualifying bodies and vocational training bodies partnerships provision of goods and services land, housing and accommodation

• • •

g) Racial Harassment Racial harassment is behaviour that is racist, hurtful or offensive and is either repeated or serious enough to have detrimental effect on a person Racial harassment is unlawful when it occurs in any of the following areas of life: • • •

Employment Partnerships Industrial and professional associations, qualifying bodies and vocational training bodies

• • • •

Access to public places, vehicles and facilities Access to goods and services Access to land, housing and accommodation Access to education

Racial harassment may include: • • •

Making offensive remarks about a person’s race Mimicking the way a person speaks – i.e. if they have an accent Making jokes about a person’s race

• •

Calling people by racist names Deliberately pronouncing people’s name wrongly

Racial harassment is serious Racial harassment should always be taken seriously because: • • •

People don’t have to put up with racist behaviour they don’t like Racial harassment is often repeated unless action is taken Racial harassment may affect people’s ability to work, study, or access services, or to feel comfortable in the school, tertiary institution or workplace

• • •

Racial harassment can lower self-esteem and cause health problems Racial harassment can cause major disruption to a workplace Employers may be liable for harassment by their employees, or of their employees by their clients, if they don’t undertake sufficient steps to prevent harassment occurring.

What can you do if you are being harassed? • • •

Keep a record of the incidents that you find offensive Talk it over with someone you trust and who will keep the information confidential. This may help clarify your course of action. Confront the person who is harassing you and tell them that you don’t like their behavior. Tell them that you do not like

what they are doing and that it is unlawful. Tell them you want them to stop – otherwise you will complain. You must do this in person, in a letter, or with another representative. Don’t confront the alleged harasser if you don’t want to. Only do so if you feel confident and safe.

If this doesn’t work, or is inappropriate, you can seek advice and assistance from •

Student Welfare Manager

You can then decide whether you want to make a complaint. If you do complain, the situation should be dealt with and the harassment stopped.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 28

h) Sexual Harassment Under the Human Rights Act two types of sexual harassment are prohibited. They are: 1.

A request for sex together with an implied or overt promise of preferential treatment or a threat of detrimental treatment. Sexual behaviour, language or visual material which is welcome or offensive and either repeated or significant enough to have a detrimental effect on the person subjected to it.


Sexual harassment of either kind is unlawful when it occurs in any of the following areas of • • •

Employment Access to education Access to public places, vehicles and facilities Provision of goods and services

Land, housing and accommodation • Industrial and professional associations, qualifying bodies and vocational training bodies • Partnerships

Sexual harassment may include: • • • • • •

Personally sexually offensive verbal comments Sexual or smutty jokes Repeated comments or teasing about someone’s alleged sexual activities or private life Persistent, unwelcome social invitation or telephone calls from workmates at work or at home Following someone home from work Offensive hand or body gestures

• •

Physical contact – i.e. patting, pinching, touching or putting an arm around another person’s body – which is unwelcome Provocative visual material – e.g. posters with a sexual connotation. Hints or promises of preferential treatment in exchange for sex, or threats of deferential treatment if not offered Sexual assault and/or rape

Sexual Harassment is Serious What you can do if you are being harassed •

• • •

Keep a record of the incidents that you find offensive; the time, day, place, short description of the incident. Talk it over with someone you trust and who will keep the information confidential. This may help clarify your course of action. Confront the person who is harassing you and tell them that you don’t like their behaviour. Tell them that you do not like what they are doing and that it is unlawful. Tell them you want them to stop – otherwise you will complain. You must do this in person, in a letter, or with another representative. Don’t confront the alleged harasser if you don’t want to. Only do so if you feel confident and safe.

If this doesn’t work, or is inappropriate you can seek advice and assistance from: • • • • • • •

Student Welfare Manager A sexual harassment contact person at school A dean, tutor or school nurse The Human Rights Commission A lawyer A professional disciplinary body such as the Medical Association The police (especially if you have been sexually assaulted). In addition you can also go to the police under the Crimes Act

You can then decide whether you want to make a complaint. If you do complain, the situation should be dealt with and the harassment stopped.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 29


Driving in New Zealand Licensing Laws It is illegal to drive on New Zealand roads before you have: • A New Zealand driver’s licence or • An International driver’s licence. You must carry your licence with you at all times while driving otherwise an instant fine may be enforced by the police.

There are three types of licence in New Zealand, namely: (1) • • • • (2) to drive • • •

Learner’s Licence – this allows you to start to learn to drive a car. You must have passed a written and oral test. You are not permitted to drive on the road unless you are accompanied by a person who meets the following requirements: At least 21 years old and has held a full licence for at least two years. They must sit in the passenger’s seat of the car with you. Restricted Licence – this means you have passed the practical driving test and permits you alone (i.e. you cannot have passengers), or with a person who has had a full licence for at least 2 years and not after 10pm unless you have a person with you who has had a full license for at least 2 years.

(3) Full Licence – You can apply for your full licence after you have held a learner’s licence for 12 months. If you are found in breach of the traffic laws you are liable for prosecution, which could result in a criminal conviction. This could result in your visa being revoked and deportation.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 30

International Licence If you have an overseas driver licence or an international driving permit, you can drive in New Zealand for a maximum of one year from your first arrival. If you have a Chinese licence you must have a translated version to make it valid. However before the year has ended you must apply for a New Zealand driver’s licence. You will need to pass a theory test and, depending on the country you have come from, a practical driving test as well. The New Zealand police are aware that fake international licences can be purchased. Being in possession of and using such a licence would mean you are liable for prosecution, which could result in a criminal conviction. This could result in your visa being revoked and deportation.


Frequently Asked Questions ¾ How do you get a New Zealand driver’s licence?

You can apply at any branch of the Automobile Association (AA).

How old do I have to be? At least 15 years old to start the process of getting a driver’s licence. In New Zealand, there are three stages to getting a driver’s licence. Learners Theory test Restricted Practical test Full licence -

¾ What are the key things I need to know about buying and owning a car in New Zealand? Warrant of Fitness (WOF) Ownership papers Registration Insurance The Automobile Association (AA) can help you with all of these services, except Warrant of Fitness. There are many local testing stations around Auckland where you can get a WOF.

¾ Should I get insurance? Yes. Full insurance includes damage to your vehicle and someone else’s car and property.

¾ What is third party insurance? It includes damage you cause in an accident, NOT damage to your own vehicle. May also include fire and theft for your car.

¾ How much does insurance cost? It depends on the age of the driver, their driving history and what kind of car is being insured. The following companies all provide insurance, there are others listed in the telephone book AA State Fintel Tower Insurance

• •

0800 500 221 0800 802 424 0800 654 743 0800 808 808

¾ What should I do if I have a traffic accident? If you are involved in a crash while driving and you are not badly injured, the first thing you must do is stop and check to see if anyone is hurt. If someone is hurt, you must tell a police officer as soon as possible, and no later than 24 hours after the crash.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 31


If no-one is hurt, you must give your name and address (and the name and address of the owner of the vehicle you are driving) as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours after the crash to: 9 The owner or driver of any other vehicle that has been damaged 9 The owner of any property that has been damaged. 9 A police officer as soon as possible and no later than 60 hours after the crash – if you cannot find the above owners. 9 Your insurance company as soon as possible after the crash – if your car is insured.

The Road Code:

Before you begin to drive in New Zealand you must obtain a copy of the New Zealand Road Code and learn it thoroughly. You can buy a copy from any good book store or driver licensing agency or visit the New Zealand Land Transport authority’s website: There are two important areas to note in the New Zealand Road Code that may differ from your home country:


Keeping Left:

Most roads in New Zealand are used by vehicles traveling in two directions. For this reason, you must keep on the left-hand side of the road when driving. If you don't, you could be involved in a head-on crash. This is one of the worst types of crash, as it almost always results in death or severe injury. o o o


Give Way Rules: o o o o



On an open road with a centre line, your driving seat should normally be in the centre of your half of the road. Reduce speed to maintain this position through curves. Keep well to the left when driving around a curve, whether it's a laned or unlaned curve. You never know what might be 'around the corner'. Remember: There may be cyclists, horses or pedestrians around the curve.

If you are going straight ahead, give way to all vehicles coming straight through from your right, unless they have a give-way or stop sign. If you are turning, give way to all vehicles not turning. If you are turning left, give way to vehicles coming towards you that are turning right. In 2011 this rule will change. Vehicles turning right will have to give way to vehicles turning left. If you are turning right, give way to vehicles on your right that are turning right, unless they have a give-way or stop sign. In 2011 this rule will change. Vehicles turning right will have the right of way over right-turning vehicles emerging from a terminating road. If you are leaving the path of the centre line, you are turning. You must give way to vehicles that are following the centre line.

Passenger safety:

It is compulsory for all passengers in a car to wear a seat belt. It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure all passengers under 15 years old are wearing a seat belt but if you are over 15 it is your own responsibility. You can be fined for failing to wear a seat belt in a moving vehicle.



Footpaths provide a safe place for you to walk. Where a footpath is provided, use it. Where there is no footpath: • walk on the side of the road facing oncoming traffic, except on curves, where it is best to walk on the outside edge of the curve • if possible, walk off the road, or as close as possible to the edge of the road • at night, wear light-coloured clothing or carry something white - a sheet of newspaper is better than nothing. A torch or reflective belt or arm band is better still • Cross the road only when it is safe to do so. Always check all nearby roads for vehicles before you cross, and walk quickly straight across the road. • Remember - it takes time for a vehicle to stop. Be sensible and wait for a gap in the traffic before crossing the road. Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 32

• • • • •


When crossing the road at an intersection, remember to check behind and in front for turning vehicles. When crossing the road at night, cross near a street light if you can. When you get off a bus, wait until it has moved away before checking for moving vehicles. If you have to cross the road between parked vehicles, move out as far as the headlight nearest the traffic. Then check for moving vehicles, and wait for a gap before crossing the road. Young children should hold an older person's hand.


Cyclists must wear an approved safety helmet. Always fasten it securely, by following the manufacturer's instructions. It's a good idea to wear brightly coloured or reflective clothing when cycling. That way you'll be easier to see. Don't ride your bicycle on the footpath unless you are delivering newspapers, mail or leaflets. At intersections, you must: • • • • • • • • • • •

follow the rules for motor vehicles or get off your bicycle and walk across You can only ride alongside another cyclist or moped. You must not ride alongside a car, truck, etc. Always ride in single file if passing another vehicle. Your bicycle must not be towed by another vehicle. Your bicycle can only tow a trailer and must not be fitted with a sidecar. You must not carry a pillion passenger on your bicycle unless you have a pillion seat and footrest. The pillion seat must protect children's legs from the wheels. You must not leave a bicycle blocking a footpath. Where there is an adequate cycle lane, cyclists must use it. You must ride with lights on from 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise - just like motorists must. You must keep your bicycle in good working condition.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 33

Section Six: Water Safety Being safe in the water does not mean that you can't have fun but thinking about some very basic messages may save lives. After all, one of the good things about having fun in the water is that you can come back again the next day and do it all again! For such a small country, New Zealand has some of the most extensive and beautiful coastline and waterways in the world. New Zealander's grow up with water - it's something we take for granted. It's fun, familiar....and a COLD KILLER! Around 130 die in New Zealander water every year.


Beach Safety

Enjoying the beach should be both safe and fun, especially if you follow a few basic safety tips. • Swim between the flags. • On patrolled beaches surf lifeguards put up yellow and red flags on beaches where they are patrolling. Each morning they check out the beach to see if there are any rip currents or holes and then they put up two flags with a gap in the middle to show that this is the safest place to swim on the beach. • Listen to advice from lifeguards. • Never swim alone. Always swim under supervision. • If in doubt stay out. • Know your limits. • Read and obey the safety signs. • Learn to recognise rip currents. • Always use safe equipment. • Never swim or surf when tired or cold. • Consider other surf users. Rip Currents What is a rip? A rip is a strong current of water running out to sea. Rips are formed by water in the form of waves washing up onto the beach. This water needs to find its way back out to sea. On many beaches the force of water forms a channel or pathway beyond the break called a rip. To avoid rips, look out for: • A darker colour because the water is deeper. • A calm rippled surface, generally with smaller waves. • Debris or foam floating on the surface out to sea. Getting out of a Rip

If you make a mistake and get caught in a rip, you can survive if you remember to: Relax: Stay calm, and float with the current. Swim across it not against it. Raise: Raise an arm to signal for help Rescue: Float and wait for assistance.



Crossing rivers can be fun. Being crossed by rivers is not. Venturing onto rivers is a pastime enjoyed by many, whether it be for rafting, tubing, kayaking, swimming or even simply crossing rivers when tramping. Associated with these enjoyable activities however is an inherent danger. Drowning in rivers accounts for nearly 30 percent of the annual drowning toll. • •

A basic understanding of rivers and a healthy respect for the power of moving water can help to eliminate some of this danger. Don't be in a hurry to experience rivers which are beyond your capabilities.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 34

• • • • • • • •

• • • •

Rivers and river banks are places where care should be taken. River currents are often stronger than they appear. Water in a river exerts a very powerful force which remains constant unlike the ocean where the force is released with each tidal surge. Even calm looking rivers are very powerful. You can throw in a twig to check how fast the flow is. Remember, the current is stronger around the outside of a bend in the river. River banks can also be dangerous places because the river hollows out the bank underneath the edge. Stand away from the edge so that the bank doesn't collapse and trap you under water. Be careful of tree roots and branches in the water as you may get caught up in the tangle. Swimming in a river is different to swimming in a swimming pool or in the sea. The pressure of moving water is constant and you may be drawn under the surface by the swirling currents. While white water rivers appear to be more dangerous than calm rivers, do not underestimate the power of any river. If you get caught in the current: Float on your back and travel feet first down stream to protect your head from impact with any objects. Angle your travel towards shore. Do not fight the current but head downstream to a suitable landing beach. Never attempt to come ashore amongst trees or river debris.

Crossing rivers: Tramping is an activity enjoyed by many people in this country. At some stage on any trip into the wilderness, rivers, streams and creeks will have to be crossed. • All rivers must be treated with respect and if in doubt err on the side of safety and caution. • River conditions can change rapidly due to heavy rainfall or the release of water from storage areas. • Always be prepared to decide against crossing. • Nothing can go wrong if you and your party stay on the riverbank.



Public Swimming Pools Pools are great - they can be exciting, challenging and heaps of fun but need to be treated with absolute respect. • Pool sides are slippery and depth can often be hard to gauge: • Always obey the pool's safety rules and listen to the instructions of pool lifeguards. • Play it safe – never run around the pool and remember to check for others before entering the water.



Fishing is one of the most popular recreational pastimes in New Zealand. Tragically it can be one of the most dangerous. Each fishing trip differs in location and conditions, presenting various hazards on each occasion. Do not be complacent, most accidents happen when you least expect them. They are often the result of ignoring local advice and taking needless risks. Here are a few simple rules which could save your life: • Always check the weather before going rock fishing, especially swell forecasts. A rising swell with an incoming tide is to be avoided. • Check tides. Some good locations are completely covered when the tide is in; others just get cut off. Explore unfamiliar locations on an outgoing tide. • Assess the sea conditions before climbing down onto a ledge to fish. Spend at least 10 minutes watching the wave pattern. Don't stand on wet rocks when waves or spray, are obviously sweeping them. • Fish with someone who knows the area and can judge whether it is safe under the prevailing conditions. • If you're even a little uneasy about the fishing spot, find a safer place. • Keep well back from the water's edge, especially if there is a swell running. • Under no circumstances turn your back on the sea. Watch the waves at all times and be prepared to run to higher ground at any time.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 35

• • • •

Don't risk your life for your tackle or a fish. If you drop something or a wave washes your gear into the sea, leave it there. Wear suitable clothing. Good, non-slip, lace-up shoes or basketball boots are good. Don't wear boots. Wear a buoyancy aid. Lightweight inflatable lifejackets are suitable for fishing and are available in New Zealand. Take notice of warning signs – they are there for a reason.

Some definite don'ts Don't ... • Jump from rock to rock. Climb and walk carefully and deliberately. • Turn your back on the water. Waves can get you when you least expect them. Retain an awareness of your surroundings all the time, even when concentrating on landing a fish. • Fish in a position where you cannot easily back away from a rising wave. Always have an escape route identified. • Trust ropes which have been permanently attached in rock fishing areas. • Drink alcohol. Alcohol and water don't mix. Do…. • Learn to swim. If you can't swim and survive, you have no business being near the water. IMPORTANT: Recreational Fishing Rules – see p.26 of this booklet.



Alcohol and Water Don't Mix Forget the myth that drowning people come up three times before 'going down for good'. Non-swimmers typically claw at the water for as little as 15 seconds. Then they go down for good - often without a cry for help as they are desperately gasping for breath. It takes even less time for a swimmer to drown if alcohol is involved. Each year, nearly 20 people drown while under the influence of alcohol. When you drink and participate in water recreation you increase the risk of drowning.

ALCOHOL + HOT WEATHER + COLD WATER = DEATH BY DROWNING Alcohol dramatically reduces your chances of survival by: • Making it harder to stay afloat due to lower concentrations of blood going to the brain and muscles • Contributing to heat and fluid loss • Sharply reducing the ability to hold your breath • Suppressing airway protection reflexes • Making it easier to inhale water Nearly all of the methods used to revive submersion victims are effective only for those without alcohol in the bloodstream. Even 'last ditch' drugs used by physicians do not work well. It's simple: • Don't go swimming when you've been drinking - whether at the beach or in your home pool. • Avoid drinking alcohol at pools, the beach, while boating or even drinking before or while taking a hot bath. Water activities and drinking is as lethal a mix as drinking and driving.

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 36

Section Eight: Directories a)

Recreational Services

Activities List Here are some suggestions of activities that you could get involved in while you are studying in Auckland. It is very important to have interests outside of academic study to give you balance in life. We have tried to give some contact names or numbers – if you do not feel confident contacting these people, please ask someone to help you, such as a friend, a teacher or one of the student support staff. Archery Archery Adventures in Mt Eden for indoor and outdoor archery. Email Brendan Gaffney ph 09 630 0841 or 027 677 7417 Badminton 99 Gillies Ave, Newmarket. You can play here either by being a member or just by going when you feel like it. Book online or ph 09 524-0872 Gymnasium – University of Auckland 17 Symonds Street Email Ph 09 373 7599 ext 847888 (general enquiries) 09 373 7599 ext 86796 (Health and Fitness Studio) Activities include Aerobics classes, basketball, weights rooms, climbing wall. Gymnasium – Les Mills Kung Fu Email Phone 09 379-9550. Ph 021 707 034

Learn to sail Contact Suzanne Bourke –,nz Ph 09 521 2387 Mobile 021 724 532 Table Tennis Auckland Table Tennis Association. 99A Gillies Ave, Newmarket email: ph 09 520 2291 T’ai Chi Ph Allister on 021 117 5247 (CBD) or Tim on 027 4301267 (Newmarket)

Youthtown Swimming, weights, squash, basketball, table tennis, pool tables, craft room. Email Visit 68A Nelson St or Ph 09 379-5430. You might also like to look at the websites below for some more ideas about Auckland. , www.aucklandtourism.

For further information Refer to the Auckland City Council website

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 37


Places of Worship PLACES OF WORSHIP Anglican Catholic Lutheran p?info_id=1 Jewish Christian Fellowship

Holy Trinity Cathedral 446 Parnell Rd St Patrick’s Cathedral 43 Wyndam Street Lutheran Church 1 Harris Rd Mt Wellington

09 303 9500

Auckland Hebrew Congregation 108 Greys Ave City Impact Church 794 East Coast Road, Browns Bay

09 373 2908

Presbyterian Tsi Ming Buddhist Temple e2.php

Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa NZ 74 Wellesley Street 17 Wairakei St, Greenlane

09 377 4985

Islamic Centres es_content.php#akl

17 Vermont St Ponsonby 9b Kaimahi Drive, Glenfield 140 Church St, Onehunga 185-187 Stoddard Road, Mt Roskill 31 - 33 Armada Dr, Ranui 429 Queen St

09 378 8200 09 441 2493


Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 38

09 303 4509 09 579 4490

09 477 0300

09 579 8758

0274 330383 09 833 9072 09 377 4063


Diplomatic and Consular Representatives

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 39


9 Terrigal Cres, O’Malley, Canberra ACT 2608, Australia

0061 2 6286 7355


Level 7, PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower, 188 Quay Street, Auckland

09 921 8800


Level 9, Deloitte House, 10 Brandon St, Wellington

04 473 3516


5 Canterbury Crescent, Deakin, Canberra ACT 2600, Australia

0061 2 6273 1154


19 Bolton St, Wellington

04 471 6270


588 Great South Road, Greenlane, Auckland

09 525 1588


Level 2, 161 London Circuit, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia 1 Darwin Ave, Yarralumla, Canberra ACT 2600, Australia

0061 2 6230 4203


0061 2 6273 4437


6 Pindari Crescent, O’Malley, Canberra ACT 2606, Australia

0061 2 6286 4021


31 Pipitea St, Thorndon, Wellington

04 473 5401


34-42 Manners St, Wellington

04 384 2555


90-92 Hobson St, Thorndon, Wellington

04 473 6063


9th Floor, 180 Molesworth St, Thorndon, Wellington

04 473 6390


70 Glen Road, Kelburn, Wellington

04 475 8699


PO Box 14733, Kilbirnie, Wellington

04 386 2976


34-38 Grant Rd, Thorndon, Wellington

04 473 5339


Majestic Centre, Level 18, 100 Willis St, Wellington

04 473 1540


20 Roebuck St, Red Hill, Canberra ACT 2603, Australia

0061 2 6295 9951


20 Raffles Pl, #14-06 Ocean Towers, Singapore

0065 6536 6100


Level 10, 396 Queen St, Auckland

09 379 0818


5 Callemonda Rise, O’Malley, Canberra ACT 2606, Australia

0061 2 6286 7777


1 Dalman Crescent, O’Malley, Canberra ACT 2606, Australia

0061 2 6286 4595

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 40


PO Box 4134, Shortland St, Auckland

021 190 2618


27 Endeavour St, Red Hill, Canberra ACT 2603, Australia

0061 2 6295 7378


10 Washington Ave, Brooklyn, Wellington

04 385 2439


Level 2, AMP Chambers, 185-187 Featherston St, Wellington

04 472 0555


1/44 Dalman Cres, O’Malley, Canberra ACT 2606, Australia

0061 2 6286 2947


17 Terrigal Cres, O’Malley, Canberra ACT 2606, Australia

0061 2 6290 0755


22 Arkana St, Yarralumia, Canberra ACT 2600, Australia

0061 2 6273 3811


709D Remuera Rd, Remuera, Auckland

09 522 4426


182 Onslow Rd, Khandallah, Wellington

04 479 0026


50 Hobson St, Thorndon, Wellington

04 472 9848


Jalan Mega Kuningan Barat, Block E 2.3 No. 4, Kawasan Mega Kuningan, Jakarta 12950, Indonesia 57 Messines Rd, Karori, Wellington

0062 21 5790 6560


Saudi Arabia

04 476 6113

Level 13, HSBC Building, 1 Queen St, Auckland SACM 190 Great South Rd, Greenlane, Auckland 17 Kabul Street, Khandallah, Wellington

09 912 7808

Sri Lanka

35 Empire Circuit, Forrest, Canberra ACT 2603, Australia

0061 2 6239 7041


41 Culgoa Circuit, O’Malley, Canberra ACT 2606, Australia

0061 2 6218 5200


2 Cook St, Karori, Wellington

04 476 8616


25 Blaxland Cres, Griffith, Canberra ACT 2603, Australia

0061 2 6260 8800


Level 8, 15-17 Murphy St, Thorndon, Wellington

04 472 1292


Level 12, St George Centre, 60 Marcus Clarke St, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia

0061 2 6230 5789

United Arab Emirates

12 Bulwarra Close, O’Malley, Canberra ACT 2606, Australia

0061 2 6286 8802


Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 41

09 903 9600 04 470 0850

United Kingdom

44 Hill St, Wellington

04 924 2888

United States Of America

Level 3, Citibank Centre, 23 Customs St East, Auckland

09 303 2724


7 Culgoa Circuit, O’Malley, Canberra ACT 2606, Australia

0061 2 6290 2900


Level 21, Grand Plimmer Tower, 2-6 Gilmer Terrace, Wellington

04 473 5912

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 42


School Directory

Need Help?

Staff to see – to be filled in by each school‌..

A Accommodation issues Address Change B Bank C Study Career Plan Course Changes Computer

Accommodation Officers If you change your address, please advise

Accommodation Officers

If you want to open a bank account If you want to talk about your study career plan If you wish to change your next course If you cannot log into your computer or any other questions relating to computers

H Homestay and accommodation

All questions

Accommodation Officers


If you feel sick during school time

School Nurse

If you need to see a doctor or dentist

School Nurse

I School ID card

International Student ID card

Medical Insurance



M Mail N Notice boards O Official Letters

If you lose your card please bring us: $5.00 A new photo If you are planning to travel overseas you can get a discount on airfares with this card. To apply If you wish to apply for medical insurance with Southern Cross Benefits Ltd To make a claim To claim insurance Personal property cover If you wish to insure items, such as your computer or electronic dictionary If you have received an invoice for tuition, insurance or accommodation fees

Your core class teacher will pass your mail to you in class Please check regularly for any information you may need Proof of Study or Payment Parent Invitation Letter

T Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 43

International Centre Officer

International Centre Officer International Centre Officer

Tax Numbers (IRD Number)

If you want to apply for an IRD number, you can ask for an application form

V Student Visas

If you need to renew your student visa or permit


Useful Phone Numbers

Emergency Numbers FIRE AMBULANCE: POLICE Central Police Station

111 111 111 Corner Cook & Vincent Streets ph 09 302 6400

Banks ANZ

126 Queen Street

ph 09 303 4469

ASB Bank

Cnr Queen & Wellesley Streets

ph 09 306 3011 BNZ

262 Queen Street

ph 09 379 9900


1 Queen Street

ph 0800 80 23 80

National Bank

205 Queen Street

ph 09 359 9828


79 Queen Street

ph 09 309 4200

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 44

APPENDIX: Contracts of Enrolment

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 45

Welfare and Accommodation Guide 2011

page 46

ACG Welfare and Accommodation Handbook  

Wefare booklet

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you