Page 22

NEWS

NATIONAL NEWS

Compiled by Hannah Monkcom

TOP 100 UNDERGRADUATE EMPLOYERS The annual list of the Top 100 Undergraduate Employers has been published, ranking the businesses that have actively offered work experience and career guidance to young talent across the UK. The announcement comes just weeks after it was revealed that more than 50% of UK graduates are currently employed in non-graduate jobs, one of the worst rates in Europe. Employers are paying undergraduates an average salary of £17,000 in 2015. This year sees financial giant Bank of America Merrill Lynch gain the coveted number one spot after several years of steady progress up the chart. The dominance of financial companies in the Top 100 is clear but there have also been successes in other sectors. Entertainment giant Warner Bros climbed an impressive 39 places to occupy the number three spot and Microsoft returned to number six in this year’s table. Lucy Saunders, University Recruitment Lead at Microsoft UK said: “We are going through a huge transformation at Microsoft and to have undergraduates coming to us with their fresh ideas and modern perspectives is so important to us.”

SHOCKWAVES OF NATIONAL LIVING WAGE

EVEN MORE MOBILE

The National Living Wage is also sending shockwaves through the UK labour market due to small businesses scaling back on recruitment in order to prepare for having to pay more in wages. James Hick, UK managing director of ManpowerGroup Solutions, which surveyed 2100 employers, said, “It’s one factor that’s creating a concern about whether to take people on or not.” Mr Hick said job prospects are at their weakest since 2012 as a result. Analysts have warned that some employers will struggle to pay the living wage of £7.20 an hour when the rules come into force in April. Retailers, care workers and cleaners are expected to be badly affected. The Office for Budget Responsibility said 60,000 people could lose their jobs. He noted that the worst affected areas are in the North. London is twice as optimistic as the national average. “It’s

Is scrolling through your apps to find the right one ever a chore? Well Jaocim Westland created a quicker way to access what he needs, and he’s called it ‘Flic’. The Swedish company has developed a silicone button the size of two two pound coins stuck together that can stick to your wall

this proliferation

/ fridge / chair, or through use of a clip to your coat / jacket / belt and it

of small

triggers specific functions on your smartphone. The button has just three

businesses in

functions but can be used in many situations, from the trivial (taking a

London that

selfie) to more serious (as a panic alarm for epileptics).

is bucking

The Flic has been developed as a bridge between the increasing number of

the trend and

functions that can be achieved on a phone – from turning on the lights and

there’s been a tech boom in London,” Mr Hick said.

the stereo to ordering a taxi – and the practicalities of everyday life, where people do not want to have to search through apps. The 60,000 preorders for the product will soon be sent out to customers. One currently costs $34 although the price reduces as the number bought increases.

“If there’s a 90% chance of failure, there’s a 10% chance of changing the world.” 22

Profile for Platinum Business

PLATINUM BUSINESS MAGAZINE - SUSSEX - ISSUE 16  

The widest-read business publication in the South East. Covering International Trade, Legal Issues, Accountancy, Wealth Management, Business...

PLATINUM BUSINESS MAGAZINE - SUSSEX - ISSUE 16  

The widest-read business publication in the South East. Covering International Trade, Legal Issues, Accountancy, Wealth Management, Business...