Page 1

THE BOOK OF

MONUMENTS Historical Monuments in Poitou-Charentes

HiP ! - Comenius Project 2012-2014 ROCHEFORT - LYCテ右 MERLEAU-PONTY


HiP ! - Comenius Project 2012-2014 ROCHEFORT - LYCテ右 MERLEAU-PONTY


Department of Deux-Sèvres


ABBAYE ROYALE DE CELLESSUR-BELLE :

L’abbaye royale de Celles-sur-Belle se situe au sud des Deux-Sèvres. Elle fut reconstruite sur les vestiges d’une abbatiale romane datant du XIème siècle. Cette abbaye est maintenant de style gothique. Sa construction débuta en 1137 sur l’ordre de l’évêque de Poitiers. C’est encore aujourd’hui, une étape importante pour les pèlerins en route pour Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle. Elle fut reconstruite au XVème siècle sur l’ordre de Louis XI puis détruite en 1568 par les huguenots. Au XVIIème siècle, elle fut à nouveau reconstruite par l’architecte François le Duc. En 1789, c’est la Révolution. L’abbaye va connaître de nombreux bouleversements : l’expulsion des religieux, la fermeture de l’église et la transformation de l’abbaye en lieu de détention. Après le Concordat de 1801, l’église reprend ses fonctions. L’abbaye devient une église paroissiale, appelée Notre-Dame. Des personnages célèbres comme Louis XI et François de la Rochefoucauld ont participé au renouveau de l’abbaye. Elle est connue pour ses jardins à la française, ses chapiteaux sculptés et décorés de motifs. Depuis 1971, elle est la propriété de la commune de Celles-sur-Belle et depuis 1977, elle est classée « Monument Historique ».


CELLES-SUR-BELLE ROYAL ABBEY Deux-Sèvres

The Celles-sur-Belle's Royal Abbey is located in the south of the Deux-Sèvres. It was rebuilt on the ruins of a Romanesque abbey dating from the XIth century. This abbey is now in Gothic style. Its construction started in 1337 by orders of a bishop of Poitiers. Today, it is still an important step for the pilgrims on the way for Saint-James of Compostela. The abbey was rebuilt in the XVth century under Louis XI's orders, and then destroyed in 1528 by the Huguenot. In the XVIIth century, the abbey was rebuilt again by the architect François le Duc. In 1789, it's the French Revolution. The abbey knew many upheavals like the religious' expulsion, the church's closure and the abbey's transformation in a sort of jail. After the Concordat of 1801, the church took back its functions. The abbey became a parish church called Notre-Dame. Some famous people like Louis XI and François de la Rochefoucauld participated in the abbey’s renewal. It is famous for its French gardens, its carves and decorated capitals. Since 1971, it is the Celles-surBelle's community’s property and, since 1977, has been classified as “Historical Monument”.


DONJON D’ALIÉNOR D’AQUITAINE Ce donjon se situe à Niort et est un des plus beaux donjons jumeaux de France. A la base, il formait le réduit central d’un vaste château. Auparavant, c’était un musée mais maintenant il abrite parfois des expositions temporaires. Henri II Plantagenêt voulait mettre en valeur les domaines apportés par sa femme Aliénor d’Aquitaine par leur mariage, alors au XIIe siècle, il fit construire le château de Niort et en fit une forteresse. Plus tard, le château servit de prison. Les deux donjons sont approximativement carrés et mesurent 23 et 28 mètres de hauteur. Le donjon nord commença à s’écrouler en 1749, mais fut reconstruit l’année d’après. Le bâtiment resta intact jusqu’en 2007, où il a été complètement restauré. Aujourd’hui, il est classé monument historique.


ELEANOR OF AQUITAINE’S CASTLE Niort, Deux-Sèvres

This keep is located in Niort and is one of the finest twin towers in France. At its basis, it formed the central stronghold of a vast castle. Previously, it was a museum but now it houses temporary exhibitions. Henri II of England wanted to create value for the domains brought by his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine by their marriage, and then in the XII century, he created the castle of Niort and made it a fortress. Later, the castle served as a prison. The two keeps are approximately square and are 23 and 28 meters high. The north one began to crumble in 1749, but was rebuilt the following year. The building remained intact up to 2007 when it was completely restored. Today, it is classified as a historic monument.


CHÂTEAU D'OIRON Le Chateau D'oiron date du XIIe siècle, son histoire commence en 1449 lorsque Guillaume Gouffier reçoit la terre d'Oiron de Charles VII. En 1470 il fait construire un château plutôt carré avec 4 tours d'angles. Le fils ainé, Artus, passionné d'art, entreprend d'autres travaux. La famille Gouffier s’enrichit et le château ne cesse de s’agrandir. Le corps de bâtiment principal commencé par Louis Gouffier vers 1620, fut terminé par La Feuillade vers 1670. Puis l'aile droite fut construite par Madame de Montespan avec l'aide de La Feuillade. Depuis 1993 il accueille une collection d'art contemporain conçue par Jean Hubert Martin sur le thème des cabinets de curiosité des XVIème et XVIIème siècle, dans une direction qui veut réconcilier la sensibilité et la connaissance. Seule l’aile gauche, occupée par des galeries, et le remarquable grand escalier Renaissance à noyau central évidé, sont conservés dans le corps de logis principal, datant du XVIe siècle.


OIRON CASTLE Oiron, Deux-Sèvres The Oiron Castle dates from the twelfth century. The story begins in 1449 when William the earth receives Oiron from Charles VII. In 1470 he built a castle rather square with four corner towers. His eldest son, Arthur, passionate art undertakes other work. Gouffier family grows and the castle continues to grow. The main building started around 1620 by Louis Gouffier, La Feuillade was completed by 1670. Then the right wing was built by Madame de Montespan with the help of La Feuillade. Since 1993 it houses a collection of contemporary art designed by Jean Hubert Martin on the subject of curiosity cabinets of the sixteenth and seventeenth century in a direction that will reconcile the sensitivity and knowledge. Only the left wing occupied by galleries, grand staircase and remarkable Renaissance hollow core is stored in the main building, dating from the sixteenth century.


CHÂTEAU DE LA MOTHE-CHANDENIERS Ce château a été construit au XIIe siècle, par la famille de Bauçay, seigneurs de Loudun. A la mort de l'une des dernières descendantes de cette famille, le château entre dans la famille Chaunay. Par la suite, le château change souvent de propriétaires. Lors de la Révolution Française, il est racheté par un riche homme d'affaires. Ce dernier le restaure, en aménageant le terrain qui entoure le château. Il fait construire plusieurs canaux et plante un vignoble. Il fait aussi construire un nouvel édifice s'inspirant des Châteaux de la Loire, avec des tourelles, des clochetons, des tours d'angle et des fenêtres à meneaux. A sa mort, sa fille hérite du château, elle continue l’œuvre de son père en s'inspirant du style des châteaux anglais du XIXe siècle. Le 13 mars 1932, un grand incendie détruit une grande partie du château quelque temps après l'installation du chauffage central par le propriétaire du château. Seule la chapelle est épargnée par les flammes. En 1963, un industriel rachète le domaine, pour le céder a la suite, au Crédit Lyonnais, qui le vendra en plusieurs lots. Aujourd'hui le château appartient à la commune de Trois-Moutiers. Et à part la chapelle qui reste en bon état, le Château est laissé a l'abandon faute de moyens.


LA MOTHE-CHANDENIERS CASTLE Trois-Moutiers, Vienne This castle was built in the 12th century, by the Bauçay family, lords of Loudun. On the death of one of the last descendants of this family, the castle came into the Chaunay family. Subsequently, the castle had many owners. During the French Revolution, it was bought by a wealthy businessman. He developed the land around the castle, he built several channels, and grew a vineyard. He also built a new building inspired by the Castles of the Loire river, with turrets, pinnacles, angle towers and mullioned windows. At his death, his daughter inherited the castle, she continued the work of her father being inspired by the style of the nineteenth century English castles. On March 13th, 1932, a big fire destroyed a big part of the castle, not long after the installation of the central heating by the owner of the castle. Only the chapel was saved by the fire. In 1963, an industrialist buys the domain, but let it later to the bank CrÊdit Lyonnais, which will sell it into several parts. Today the castle belongs to the municipality of Trois-Moutiers. And, except for the chapel which remains in good condition, the Castle has been abandoned because of the lack of funds.


Department of Vienne


BAPTISTÈRE SAINT-JEAN La baptistère Saint-Jean a été construit vers les années 360 à Poitiers. Sa construction est due à l’expansion du christianisme dans cette région. C'est le plus ancien monument chrétien de l’Oust de la France. Pendant la Révolution Française, il a été désaffecté et vendu comme bien national à un particulier, qui l'utilisa comme hangar. Il a été sauvé de la démolition en 1834 par une souscription publique qui permit de le racheter et de le restaurer. Comme pour de nombreuses églises, les historiens ont d'abord cru qu’il servait de temple païen mais des è fouilles, qui ont été faites au 20 siècle, ont permis de confirmer qu'il s’agissait bien d'un bâtiment construit dans le but de baptiser les convertis au christianisme.


ST. JOHN’S BAPTISTERY Poitiers, Haute-Vienne The Baptistery of St. John was built in Poitiers around the year 360, because of Christianity expansion in this region. It is the oldest Christian monument in the West of France. During the French Revolution, it was decommissioned and was sold as national property to an individual who used it as hangar. It was saved from demolition in 1834 by a subscription service that allowed its purchase and it was restored in the 19th century. Church historians first believed that it served as a pagan temple but excavations, which were made ​in the 20th, county confirmed it was built in order to baptize converts to Christianity.


ABBAYE SAINT-SAUVEUR L’abbaye Saint-Sauveur de Charroux a été construite 784 ou 785 par le comte Roger de Limoges et sa femme Euphrasie d’Auvergne. L’abbaye est faite de plusieurs parties : la tour octogonale, la rotonde, le portail et le bâtiment monastique qui comprend la salle capitulaire, le chauffoir, la salle dite du « trésor ». Des premiers bâtiments, il ne reste quasiment rien, deux chapiteaux sont conservés à Charroux et au musée de Poitiers, un fragment de l’inscription funéraire de Just, abbé de Charroux vers 817. A cause de la guerre de 100 ans ( de 1337 à 1453), l’abbaye est incendiée en 1422. En 1444, Jean Chaperon rebâtit l’abbaye pendant les 30 ans où il est abbé. A cause des guerres de religions ( à partir de 1561), l’abbaye est pillée et saccagée, après 1580, les moines restant ne peuvent plus vivre dans l’abbaye


CHARROUX ABBEY Charroux, Vienne Saint-Sauveur Abbey was built between 784 and 785 by the count Roger de Limoges and his wife, Euphrasia d'Auverge. The abbey is made of severals parts : the octogonal tower, the rotunda, the footbridge and the monastic building which holds the chapter house, the kitchen, and the room called the "treasures room". There's not much left of the first buildings anymore. Only two capitales are kept in the Poitiers's museum and in Charroux, there is just the fragment of the funerary inscription of the Charroux's abbot in the year 817, Just. Because of the Hundred Years War (from 1337 to 1453), the abbey was burned in 1442. In 1444, Jean Chaperon will rebuilt the abbey for 30 years. This would be his 30 years of being an abbot. During the religious war (startig from 1561), the abbey was plundered and ransacked (in 1580). So the monks couldn't live in the abbey anymore.


ABBAYE DE SAINT-SAVIN

Cette Abbaye est située dans la commune de SaintSavin-sur-Gartempe dans le département de la Vienne. Sa construction a débuté au IXe siècle. Elle est classée au patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO depuis 1983, puisqu’elle est connue pour ses très belles peintures murales romanes, qui constituent un ensemble très complet, très bien conservé et unique en Europe.

Elle est aussi importante du point de vue architectural, longue de 42m et 17m de large et 18 mètres de hauteur. L’église s’impose par ses volumes exceptionnels avant d’attirer le regard sur ses peintures. Les peintures murales représentent des scènes de l ancien testament.


ST. SAVIN’S ABBEY Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, Vienne The Abbey is located in the town of Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, in the department of Vienne (86). Its construction began in the 9th century. It’s declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1983, because it’s known for its beautiful Romanesque murals, which set is well preserved and unique in Europe.


ABBAYE DE SAINT-SAVIN Elle est aussi importante du point de vue architectural, longue de 42m et 17m de large et 18 mètres de hauteur. L'église s'impose par ses volumes exceptionnels avant d’attirer le regard sur peintures. Elles représentent des scènes de l'ancien testament.


ST. SAVIN’S ABBEY Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, Vienne It’s also important from an architectural point of view, 17m long and 42m wide and 18 meters high. The church stands out for exceptional volumes before attracting the gaze of its paintings. The murals depict scenes from the Old Testament.


NOTRE-DAME-LA-GRANDE Notre-Dame-la-Grande est une église collégiale romane située à Poitiers. Sa façade sculptée est un chef-d'œuvre unanimement reconnu de l'art religieux de cette période. Les parois de l'intérieur sont peintes.

On ignore presque tout de l'église Notre-Dame la Grande de Poitiers, que ce soit l'origine de son nom comme la date exacte de sa construction. La première citation de l'église dans un document écrit date de la fin du XIe siècle.


Notre –Dame-la-Grande Poitiers, Vienne Notre-Dame-la-Grande is a Romanesque collegiate church located in Poitiers. Its sculpted facade is a universally recognized masterpiece of religious art of this period. The walls inside are painted. Almost nothing is known about the church « Notre-Dame la Grande » in Poitiers, whatever the origin of its name or its exact date of construction. The first statement of the church in a written document dates back from the late 11th century.


A l’intérieur de l’Église nous pouvons voir des fresques romanes, il y a aussi un chœur qui se trouve au-dessus du cul-de-four (voûte en forme de quart de sphère, rappelant la forme du four à pain, utilisée dès l'antiquité et jusqu'à la fin de la période romane pour couvrir les absides). On distingue encore une représentation peu fréquente de l'apocalypse : la Vierge à l'enfant est représentée dans une mandorle, le Christ est en majesté sur la voûte, entre un cercle et un carré. Tout autour, sous des arcatures, les 12 apôtres sont représentés assis, comme sur la façade.

A l'emplacement de la croisée, une base carrée qui a un niveau circulaire surmonté d'un toit en écailles. Ce type de toiture, fréquent dans le sud-ouest, fut souvent copié par les architectes du XIXe siècle. Durant le deuxième quart du XIIe siècle, l'ancien clocher-porche qui se trouvait en façade fut rasé et l'église fut agrandie de deux travées vers l'ouest. Au sud, la tourelle d'escalier marque l'emplacement de cet agrandissement. C'est à cette époque que l'on édifia la célèbre façade-écran. Au nord, se trouvait un cloître du XIIe siècle. Il fut rasé en 1857 pour la construction des halles métalliques. Il reste la porte (murée).


Inside, we can see Romanesque frescoes, there is also a choir with a cul-du-four (vault with a form of a quarter sphere, recalling the shape of the bread oven, used since antiquity and until the end of the Romanesque period to cover the apses). You can still see a representation of the Apocalypse rather infrequent : the Virgin and Child in a mandorla is represented, Christ in Majesty on the vault, between a circle and a square. All around, under arches, the 12 apostles are shown seated, as on the front.

At the location of the cross, there is a square base surmounted by a level circular roof scales. This type of roof, common in the southwest, was copied by the architects of the nineteenth century. During the second quarter of the twelfth century, the old bell tower which was at the front was destroyed and the church was enlarged by two bays to the west. South, the staircase turret marks the location of this expansion. It was at this time that they built the famous facade screen. North, was a twelfth-century cloister. It was destroyed in 1857 for the construction of metal hangers.


CITÉ MÉDIÉVALE DE CHAUVIGNY Au XVe siècle, la ville de Chauvigny atteint sa plus grande extension, entourant de ses deux kilomètres de remparts cinq châteaux et trois églises.

Trois châteaux sont classés Monuments Historiques, les deux autres étant très mal conservés. Le premier château, construit au XIe siècle est dédié au baron, qui y fait construire deux donjons. Le château d'Harcourt est le mieux conservé, on y trouve au rez-de-chaussé une prison encore utilisée au XIXe siècle. Le château de Gouzon est partiellement détruit, son donjon encore debout est aujourd'hui un musée. Au XIe siècle commence la construction de la Cathédrale Saint-Pierre, qui dura cent ans, et qui nous offre à l'intérieur un décor richement sculpté. L'église Notre-Dame (image ci-contre) a été construite au XIe siècle par le premier seigneur de Chauvigny : Isembert Ier. Elle est classée Monument Historique depuis 1840. Dans l'église de Saint-Pierre-les-Eglises, on trouve des fresques peintes entre 780 et 980, elles font donc partie des plus anciennes fresques encore conservées dans l'Europe occidentale.


MEDIEVAL CITY OF CHAUVIGNY Vienne In the XVth century, the town of Chauvigny reached its biggest extension, surrounding with its two kilometers of ramparts, five castles and three churches.

Three castles are classified Historical Monuments, two others are very badly preserved. The first one, built in the XIth, is dedicated to the baron, who had two donjons built there. Harcourt's castle is the best preserved, we can find on the ground floor a still used prison in the XIXth century. Gouzon's castle is almost destroy, now its donjon is a museum. In the XIth century, began the construction of Saint-Pierre's cathedral, which lasted one hundred years. Inside we can find a set richly sculptured. Notre-Dame's church (on the picture) was built in the XIth century by the first Chauvigny's lord : Isembert Ist. It has been classified as Historical Monument since 1840. In church Saint-Pierre-les-Eglises, we can find some frescoes painted between 780 and 980, they are part of the oldest frescoes still preserved in Western Europe.


Department of Charente


THÉÂTRE GALLO-ROMAIN DES BOUCHAUDS Le théâtre gallo-Romain des Bouchauds est un monument situé sur la commune Saint-Cybardeaux en Charente. Il a été creusé et construit au flanc de la colline tandis que le sanctuaire est à son sommet. Le théâtre gallo-romain des Bouchauds au diamètre de 105,60 mètres, est le plus grand d'Aquitaine : il pouvait accueillir plus de 5000 à 8000 personnes. Il fut construit au début du Ier siècle mais des aménagements sous forme de rangées de gradins dans l’orchestra et des passages entre l’orchestra et la cavea datent du IIIe siècle. Son excellent état de conservation permet de découvrir les différents éléments de l’architecture des théâtres romains. Ce théâtre Gallo-Romain fut découvert pour la première fois en 1865 par Jean Gontier, un archéologue. Celui-ci engage à ses frais le déblaiement des structures gallo-romaines du théâtre. Après un classement du théâtre aux Monuments historiques en 1881, le Père Camille de la Croix, connu dans la région pour ses travaux de recherches à Sanxay ou au Baptistère Saint-Jean à Poitiers, est chargé par M. Laporte-Buisquit de terminer les fouilles du théâtre et de mener les travaux de conservation nécessaires. Ce n’est qu’au XXe siècle que les recherches sont menées au niveau du sanctuaire.


GALLO-ROMAN THEATRE SaintCybardeaux, Charente

The Gallo-Roman theatre is a monument located in Charente, in the town of SaintCybardeaux. It was dug and built on the hillside while the sanctuary is at its peak. This Gallo-Roman theatre, 105.60 meters in diameter, is the largest of Aquitaine : it could accommodate more than 5,000 to 8,000 people. It was built at the beginning of the first century, but facilities as rows of seats in the orchestra and passages between orchestra and cavea date from the third century. Its excellent state of preservation allows to discover the different elements of the architecture of Roman theatres.It was discovered for the first time by John Gontier, who was an archaeologist in 1865. Gontier undertook at his expense the clearing of the structures of the Gallo-Roman theatre. After ranking the theater as a historical monument in 1881, Father Camille Cross, also known in the region for his research in Sanxay or Saint-Jean Baptistery in Poitiers, was ordered by Mr. Laporte-Buisquit to complete the excavation of the theater and to conduct necessary conservation work. Research was conducted only in the twentieth century at the sanctuary.


ÉGLISE MONOLITHE SAINT-JEAN

L’Eglise monolithe souterraine st Jean, située à Aubeterre sur Dronne, en Charente, fut construite au VIIIe siècle et agrandie au XIIe par des moines bénédictins. Référencée parmi les plus importantes églises monolithes, elle est classée « monument historique » depuis le 3 septembre 1912. Sa construction architecturale appartient à l’art roman. Les colonnes sont typiquement cylindriques et surmontées de chapiteaux sculptés avec des représentations d’animaux, de plantes ou d’autres symboles géométriques. Cette église ressemble à une sorte de rectangle de vingt-sept mètres de long sur seize mètres de large. Elle abrite un reliquaire imposant de 6 mètres de haut, joyau de l’art roman, une fosse à reliques et une cuve baptismale paléochrétienne ornée d’une croix grecque et d’une crypte.


ST. JOHN’S MONOLITHIC CHURCH Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, Charente

The subterranean monolithic Church st Jean, situated in Aubeterre on Dronne in Charente, was built in the VIIIth century and enlarged in XII by Benedictines monks. Lisked among the most important monolithic churches, it has been classified as "Historic Monument" since September 3rd, 1912. Its architectural construction belongs to the Romanesque art, because it presents the antique Roman vault, columns are typically cylindrical and surmounted by capitals sculptured with representations of animals, plants or of the other geometrical symbols. This church looks like a kind of twenty seven meters long rectangle on sixteen meters wide. It shelters an imposing reliquary of 6 meters high, jewel of the Romanesque art, a pit on relics and an early Christian baptismal tank decorated with a Greek cross and with a crypt.


CATHÉDRALE SAINT-PIERRE La cathédrale St-Pierre est une cathédrale catholique de style roman située à Angoulême. Un temple dédié a Jupiter aurait été élevé à l'emplacement de la cathédrale d'Angoulême à l'époque gallo-romaine. Au IVe siècle, une cathédrale consacrée à Saint Pierre est construite. Les Wisigoths la détruisent. La cathédrale est rebâtie au VIe siècle. Ce deuxième édifice est détruit en 981 suite à un incendie. Une nouvelle cathédrale est alors élevée par l'évêque Grimoard de Mussidan. Cette cathédrale a été bâtie en une quarantaine d'années au début du XIIe siècle. La réalisation fut si importante qu'il ne fut pas nécessaire de reconstruire un édifice plus vaste à la période gothique. La façade sculptée constitue la pièce maîtresse de l'édifice. Plusieurs grands thèmes y sont figurés : l'évangélisation ; l'Ascension du Christ et son retour à la fin des temps. À droite du portail, on remarque une scène de chasse et une frise sculptée représentant la prise de Saragosse (ville d'Espagne) par un combat de cavaliers. À l'intérieur, la large nef est couverte de trois coupoles caractéristiques de l'architecture romane du sud-ouest de la France. Le mobilier d'origine a disparu, et fut remplacé au XIXe siècle.


St. Peter Cathedral is a Catholic Romanesque style church situated in Angoulême. A temple dedicated to Jupiter was raised on this place in the GalloRoman period. In the IVth century, a cathedral dedicated to St. Peter was built. The Visigoths destroyed it. The cathedral was rebuilt in the VIth century. This second building was destroyed in 981 after a fire. A new cathedral is then raised by the Bishop Grimoard of Mussidan. This cathedral was built in 40 years in the early XIIth century. The realization was so important that it was not necessary to rebuilt a larger building in the Gothic period. Heavily sculpted facade is the centrepiece of the building. Several major themes are represented : the Evangelization ; the Ascension of Christ and his return at the end of time. On the right of the portal there is a hunting scene and a carved frieze representing the capture of Saragossa (city of Spain) by fighting horsemen. Inside,, the wide nave is covered with three domes characteristic of Romanesque architecture in the southwest of France. The original furniture have disappeared, and were replaced in the XIX century.

ST. PETER’S CATHEDRAL Angoulême, Charente


CHÂTEAU DE LA ROCHEFOUCAULD Le château de la Rochefoucauld est un château de XVIe siècle (début de construction XIVe siècle) faisant partie d'un ensemble de cinq châteaux commandés par Charles le Chauve pour la protection des routes principales de France pendant les invasions normandes. Le Château de la Rochefoucauld est considéré comme le plus imposant château de Charente et comme un joyau de la Renaissance. Le Château de la Rochefoucauld est particulier, puisqu'il est constitué de parties pouvant avoir jusqu'à cinq siècles d'écart, par exemple le donjon de style roman est la partie la plus ancienne du château, il date de 1030, les parties les plus anciennes (sans compter pas les rénovations) sont les trois tours d'angles et les tours intermédiaires, datant toutes du milieu du XVe siècle. L'autre particularité de ce château réside dans le fait qu'il a été construit en surplomb de la Tardoire. Le premier maître du château fut un certain Fuldacus, qui fut le créateur du camp fortifié sur la roche qui domine la rivière Tardoire ; il est le prédécesseur de Foucauld, premier seigneur de la Rochefoucauld.


LA ROCHEFOUCAULD CASTLE La Rochefoucauld, Charente Rochefoucauld Castle is an 16th century castle with 14th century foundations. It was part of a set of five castles ordered by King Charles the Bald in order to protect the main French highways against the Norman invasions. It is considered as Charente's most impressive castle, a Renaissance architecture jewel. La Rochefoucauld castle is a little special, in so far as some of its oldest parts were built in 1030, like for example the dungeon. Three angle towers and defense towers were erected in the 15th century. Another peculiarity of this castle lies in the fact that it was built overhanging the Tardoire river. The first master of the castle, who was also the creator of the fortified camp on the rock which dominates the river Tardoire, was Fuldacus, predecessor of Foucauld, the first lord of La Rochefoucauld.


Department of Charente-Maritime


AMPHITHÉÂTRE GALLO-ROMAIN L’Amphithéâtre de Saintes est d'origine romaine car les Romains ont conquis la région et se sont installés sur les bords de la Charente. Il est situé à Mediolanum Santonum qui est actuellement la ville de Saintes. Il a commencé a être construit sous le règne de Tibère et a été achevé dans les années 40 ap. J.-C., sous le règne de Claude. Les dimensions de ce monument sont 126 mètres de long et 102 mètres de large. On le reconnaît à sa structure particulière, l'ensemble de gradins est appuyé sur les flancs du vallon à l'est et sur un remblai à l'ouest. Il y a d'une part la porte Sanavivaria où ressortaient les gladiateurs vainqueurs, elle est aussi appelée La porte des vivants et d'autre part il y a la porte Libitinensis, ou Porte des morts, par où sortaient les dépouilles des gladiateurs et des animaux qui étaient morts, et qui étaient enterrés non loin de là dans une nécropole. Aujourd'hui cette porte est comblée. A l'est et à l'ouest deux grandes portes de l’amphithéâtre permettent de communiquer avec l’extérieur. Il permettait d’accueillir 12.000 à 15.000 spectateurs autour de représentations sanglantes et violentes telles que des combats de gladiateurs ou des chasses d’animaux. Il permettait aussi de fournir au peuple des distractions et de la nourriture.


GALLO-ROMAN AMPHITHEATRE Saintes, Charente-Maritime The Saintes Amphitheatre is of Roman origin because the Roman conquered the region and settled on the banks of the Charente. It is located at Mediolanum Santorum which is now the city of Saintes. It began to be built in the reign of Tiberius and was completed in 40 AD, under the reign of Claudius. The dimensions of this monument are 126 meters long and 102 meters wide. It is distinguished by its particular structure, the tier is supported on the flanks of the valley to the east and west embankment. There is a Sanavivaria door, for victorious gladiators, it is also called The door of the Living, and secondly there is the Libitinensis door, or Door of the Dead ; the remains of dead gladiators and animals were buried not far in a necropolis. This door is now filled. To the East and West, two large doors of the amphitheater can communicate with the outside. It could accommodate 12,000 to 15,000 spectators around bloody and violent representations such as gladiatorial combat or hunting animals. It also allowed people to provide entertainment and food.


ARC DE GERMANICUS L'Arc de Germanicus est un arc de l'antiquité romaine construit à Saintes en l'an 18 ou 19 ap. J.C. pour l'empereur Tibère, son fils Drusus et son neveu et fils adoptif Germanicus. Il ne s'agit pas d'un arc de triomphe. Il s'agit d'un arc routier à deux baies initialement bâti à l’arrivée de la voie romaine Lyon-Saintes , au niveau du pont romain sur la Charente. Sur proposition de Prosper Mérimée en 1843 l'arc fut déplacé à quinze mètres de son emplacement d’origine pour des travaux sur les quais de la Charente. Il fut restauré en 1851. L'arc de Germanicus est classé monument historique le 5 juillet 1905.


ARCH OF GERMANICUS Saintes, Charente-Maritime

The Arch of Germanicus is a bow from the Roman antiquity built in Saintes in the year 18 o 19 AD for Emperor Tiberius, his son Drusus and his nephew and foster son Germanicus. It is not about a triumphal arch. It is about a road bow in two bays initially built upon the arrival of the Roman way Lyon-Saintes, at the level of the Roman bridge on the Charente. On Prosper MĂŠrimĂŠe's proposal in 1843, the arch was moved in fifteen meters of its original location to works on the quays of the Charente. Itwas restored in 1851. The Arch of Germanicus was classified as "Historic Monument" on July 5th, 1905.


ABBAYE ROYALE DE SAINT-JEAN D’ANGÉLY Fondée au IXe siècle pour accueillir la relique du crâne de saint Jean-Baptiste, reconstruite aux XIVe, XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles, son édification fut longue et pénible, entrecoupée par les troubles et les ravages de la Guerre de Cent Ans. On estime qu'elle fut terminée vers le milieu du XVe siècle. Actuellement, il n'en reste que les deux arcs-boutants et une partie du chevet de l'église actuelle, dont trois fenêtres dans le style du premier gothique. Quelques fragments d'architecture sont conservés au musée. Demeurent également "les tours", deux clochers et une immense façade inachevée, qui furent un temps transformées en prison.


ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST ABBEY Saint-Jean d’AngÊly, Charente-Maritime

Established in the IXth century to welcome the relic of saint Jean-Baptiste, rebuilt in the XIVth, XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries, its construction was long and painful, interrupted by the disorders (confusions) and the ravages of war of Hundred Years. We consider that it was ended by the middle of the XVth century at present. Flying buttresses and a part of the bedhead of the current church, among which three windows in the style of the first Gothic. Some fragments of archi-tecture are preserved in the museum. Its "towers", two bell towers and an immense unfinished facade, that were a time transformed into prison.


ABBAYE ROYALE DE SAINT-JEAN D’ANGÉLY Réhabilitée, elle demeure le plus remarquable ensemble architectural de Saint-Jean d'Angély. La façade présente une ordonnance classique, avec les ordres superposés. En revanche les ornements ne sont qu'ébauchés dans la pierre Il s'agit là, avec la cathédrale de la Rochelle (également inachevée), d'un des rares exemples d'architecture religieuse du XVIIIe siècle dans la région PoitouCharentes. Une Bibliothèque municipale est située à l'intérieur des bâtiments cette Abbaye, qui s'est transformée également aujourd'hui en hôtel luxueux, restaurant gastronomique et qui accueille des pièces de théâtre ou des spectacles musicaux. Ce site est classé au patrimoine mondial de l’Unesco comme étape du Chemin de Saint Jacques de Compostelle.


ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST ABBEY Saint-Jean d’Angély, Charente-Maritime

Rehabilitated , it remains the most remarkable architectural of Saint Jean d'Angély. The facade presents a classic prescription, with the superimposed orders. On the other hand the ornaments are only sketched in the stone It is along, with the cathedral of La Rochelle (also unfinished), about one of the rare examples of religious architecture of the XVIIIth century in the Poitou-Charentes region. A municipal library is situated inside this Abbey, which was transformed into a luxurious hotel, a gourmet restaurant today and which welcomes plays or musical shows. This site is classified in the UNESCO world heritage as a step of the Way to Santiago de Compostela.


ABBAYE AUX DAMES La fondation de cette abbaye bénédictine strictement féminine intervient en 1047 à l'initiative du comte d'Anjou Geoffroy Martel et de son épouse Agnès de Bourgogne. Cette abbaye de style roman appartient au culte Catholique romain. Elle se distingue notamment par la présence d'un clocher à base carrée, portant une tour circulaire accostée de pinacles (dits « en pomme de pin »).


ABBAYE OF SAINTE-MARIE-DES-DAMES Saintes, Charente-Maritime The (strictly feminine) Benedictine foundation of this abbey took place in 1047 on the initiative of the Lord of Anjou Geoffroy Martel and of his wife Agnès of Burgundy. This abbey is native of Romanesque style and belongs to Roman Catholic worship. It distinguishes itself by the presence of a steeple with square basis, bearing a circular tower surrounded by pinnacles (says "in pine cone").

Summary :


ABBAYE AUX DAMES

Important centre spirituel de sa fondation à la révolution, l'abbaye est placée sous la protection du roi de France en 1378. Comptant à son apogée jusqu'à cent moniales, elle se voit confier la mission d'instruire les jeunes filles de la noblesse française. Elle compte notamment parmi ses pensionnaires la future marquise de Montespan. Convertie en prison durant la période révolutionnaire, puis en caserne militaire jusqu'au début du XXème siècle, elle est restaurée au cours de la décennie 1970-1980. Inscrite à l'inventaire supplémentaire des monuments historiques en 1948, l'abbaye aux dames est également titulaire du label des Trésors de Saintonge.


ABBEY OF SAINTE-MARIE-DES-DAMES Saintes Charente-Maritime

Important religious center from its foundation to the Revolution, the abbey was placed under French King's protection in 1378. It was tasked to educate young girls of French nobility. It rates with its residents the future marquise of Montespan. Converted in prison during the revolutionary period, then in military barracks until the beginning of the XXth century, it was restored during the decade 1970-1980. Registered to the additional inventory of the historical monuments in 1948, the « Abbaye aux Dames » also holds of «Trésors de Saintonge»'s label.


ABBAYE DE TRIZAY Les vestiges de l’Abbaye de Trizay sont ceux d’un prieuré de l’ordre des Bénédictins fondé au XIe siècle. Après le rachat des bâtiments par la commune en 1990 et une importante restauration, on découvrira ce joyau architectural unique en Saintonge, avec sa salle capitulaire couverte par de belles voûtes du XIIIe siècle, ses élégantes arcatures et son réfectoire. Cette abbaye située au milieu des champs et dominant l’Arnoult est, depuis 2003, le centre d’art contemporain de la ville, régnant sur sa campagne silencieuse.


TRIZAY ABBEY Trizay, Charente-Maritime Trizay Abbey remains are those of a priory of the Benedictine order founded in the eleventh century. After the repurchase of these buildings by the municipality in 1990 and an important restoration, this unique architectural jewel is to be discovered in Saintonge, with its chapter house, covered by beautiful arches that date from the thirteenth century, its elegant bows and its catering hall. This Abbey located in the middle of fields and that dominates the Arnoult river is, since 2003, the contemporary art center of the city, ruling over its silent countryside.


ÉGLISE SAINT-PIERRE L'église Saint-Pierre se situe sur la commune d'Aulnay de Saintonge, au nord-est du département de Charente-Maritime. A l'époque gallo-romaine, s'élevait ici une première église, construite sur un site occupé auparavant par un temple païen. L’église romane a sans doute été édifiée au cours des années 1120-1140, à la demande du clergé de Poitiers.


ST. PETER’S CHURCH Aulnay-de-Saintonge, Charente-Maritime

St. Peter’s Church is located in the commune of Aulnay-de-Saintonge, north-east of the department of Charente-Maritime. In Gallo-Roman times, a previous church stood on a site occupied before by a pagan temple. The Romanesque church might have been built over the years 1120-1140 at the request of clergy of Poitiers.


ÉGLISE SAINT-PIERRE

Durant une partie du Moyen-âge, elle est une étape pour les pèlerins qui se dirigent vers Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle, avant de sombrer dans l’abandon au cours des siècles suivants. Redécouverte au XIXe siècle, elle fait partie des premiers édifices français à obtenir un classement aux Monuments historiques en 1840. Elle est aussi, avant tout, l'un des quatre sites du département à être inscrits au patrimoine mondial de l‘Humanité par l'UNESCO au titre des chemins de Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle, en France.


ST. PETER’S CHURCH Aulnay-de-Saintonge, Charente-Maritime During part of the Middle Ages, it was a step for pilgrims moves to St. James of Compostela, before falling in oblivion during the following centuries. Rediscovered in the nineteenth century, it is one of the first buildings to obtain a classification French Historic Monument in 1840. It is also, above all, one of the four sites of the department to be included in World Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO as Way of St. James of Compostela, in France.


PLACE FORTE ET ÉGLISE SAINTE-RADEGONDE Durant le haut Moyen Âge, Talmont devient un poste militaire. Celle-ci est acquise en 1284 par Édouard Ier d'Angleterre, Duc d'Aquitaine, qui la fait fortifier, créant ainsi une ville close au plan comparable aux bastides qui fleurissent alors dans tout le sud-ouest de la France. Dès cette époque, la

ville est également entourée de remparts, dont il est encore possible de voir quelques vestiges au-delà de l'église. Par exemple un pan de mur qui est l'unique vestige d'une tour carrée baptisée « tour Blanche ».

Place forte militaire importante, Talmont est aussi un lieu de pèlerinage sur la route de SaintJacques-de-Compostelle. Après avoir fait leurs dévotions à sainte Radegonde, la sainte patronne de l'église, les pèlerins pouvaient choisir, soit de traverser l'estuaire de la Gironde pour rejoindre la basilique de Soulac, soit de continuer leur périple en passant par Blaye et Bordeaux. L'église SainteRadegonde est une église paroissiale catholique édifiée à partir du XIe siècle par des bénédictins de l'abbaye de Saint-Jean-d'Angély. L'église fut classée monument historique le 30 août 1890.


STRONGHOLD & ST. RADEGUND'S CHURCH Talmont-sur-Gironde, Charente-Maritime

During the Early Middle Ages, the village of Talmont becomes a military stronghold. In 1284, Edward I of England, Duke of Aquitaine, surrounds it with walls, thus creating a fortified city similar to those which appear across the South West of France. It's still possible to see some remains of the walls today beyond the church. For example a wall which is the only vestige of a square tower called “the white tower”. An important military stronghold, Talmont is also a place of pilgrimage on the Way to St James. After their devotions to St. Radegonde, the patron saint of the church, the pilgrims could choose either to cross the Gironde estuary to reach the Basilica of Soulac or to continue their journey through Blaye and Bordeaux. St. Radegonde is a catholic church built in the eleventh century by Benedictine monks of Saint-Jean-d'Angély Abbey. The church was declared a Historical Monument August 30th, 1890.


HÔPITAL DES PÈLERINS L'hôpital des Pèlerins est un ancien hospice médiéval situé sur la ville-basse de Pons, en CharenteMaritime. Ce monument est l'un des plus anciens ensembles hospitaliers d'Europe à avoir été conservé et est à ce titre inscrit sur la liste du patrimoine mondial de l'Unesco depuis 1998. Il est également classé monument historique depuis le 16 Juin 1998. L'hôpital est fondé en 1160 à dessein hors-des-murs afin que nécessiteux et pèlerins puissent trouver soin et réconfort à toute heure du jour et de la nuit, mais aussi afin d'éviter la propagation des épidémies. Une chapelle dédiée à Saint-Louis est construite en 1778, ainsi que la salle des malades modernisée et de nouveaux bâtiments. L'ancien édifice est abandonné en 1818 au profit du nouveau couvent des Ursulines de l'actuelle rue du Président Roosevelt. Tandis qu'une partie des bâtiments est transformée en habitations et en exploitation agricole, la commune détruit en 1830 la tour qui s'élevait à l'origine au-dessus du porche et qui menaçait de s'effondrer sur la route. Le classement du porche par les monuments historiques en 1879 sauve in extremis cette partie de l'édifice de la destruction. Les murs sont ornés d'arcades, des graffitis représentant des fers à cheval et des croix rappellent le passage de plusieurs générations de pèlerins. De part et d'autre de la travée centrale s'ouvrent deux portails monumentaux en ornés principalement de motifs végétaux et géométriques.


PILGRIMS’ HOSPITAL PONS, CHARENTE-MARITIME The Pilgrims’ Hospital is a former medieval hospice located on the lower town of Pons, in the Charente-Maritime. This monument is one of the oldest hospitals in Europe to have been preserved and is therefore listed as World Heritage by UNESCO in 1998. It is also a historical monument since June 16, 1998. The hospital was founded in 1160 off-thewalls so needies and pilgrims could find care and comfort at any time of the day and night, but also to prevent the spread of epidemics. A chapel dedicated to St. Louis was built in 1778 and modernized the ward and new buildings. The old building was abandoned in 1818 in favor of the new convent of the Ursulines of the current street of President Roosevelt. While a part of the building has been transformed into dwellings and farm, the town was destroyed in 1830 the tower was originally above the porch and threatening to collapse on the road. The classification of the porch by the historical monuments in 1879 saved in extremis this part of the building from destruction. The walls are decorated with arcades, graffiti representing horseshoes and crosses remember the passage of several generations of pilgrims. On both sides of the center span two gates can be opened, adorned with monumental primarily vegetal and geometric motifs.


DONJON DE PONS Le donjon de Pons se situe sur la commune de Pons en Charente-Maritime. Cette tour est l'ancien donjon du château de Pons. Haut de 33 mètres, il constitue le symbole de la ville. Il reste de l'ancien château également les vestiges des remparts, la chapelle, le porche Saint-Gilles et le corps de logis. On y trouve un jardin public qui offre un très joli panorama sur la vallée de la Seugne. Le château de Pons a été une des plus importantes places médiévales grâce à sa situation sur la route des pèlerins de Saint-Jacques au croisement des grandes voies. Rasé en 1179 par le duc d'Aquitaine Richard Cœur de Lion à la suite d'une révolte de son vassal, le château est reconstruit en 1187 par Geoffroy III de Pons. De cette époque date notamment l'imposant donjon qui était une pièce maîtresse du dispositif de défense de la place-forte. Le château a été détruit à nouveau, à l'exception du donjon, en 1622 par les armées de Louis XIII, suite au siège de 1621. Le Donjon fait l’objet d’un classement au titre des monuments historiques depuis le 8 octobre 1879. On peut aujourd'hui le visiter.


KEEP OF PONS Pons, Charente-Maritime

This castle is situated in Pons, in Charente-Maritime. It is an old tower of the castle. It's 33 meters high, this is a symbol for the city of Pons. There is a big park with a very nice landscape. The castle was destroyed in 1179 by the Duke of Aquitaine and king of England Richard the Lionheart. It was reconstructed in 1187 by Geoffroy III of Pons. It was destroyed again by the army of Louis XIII, except the tower, in 1622. The tower is classified as a Historical Monument since October 8th 1879. We can now visit hit.


CHÂTEAU DE CRAZANNES Construit aux XIVe et XVe siècles en Poitou-Charentes et classé Monument Historique en 1913, le château de Crazannes a été entièrement restauré et aménagé. Il est l'un des plus anciens châteaux de CharenteMaritime, et l'un des premiers châteaux privés à avoir obtenu ce classement. Sa construction a débuté au XIV siècle, à l'emplacement même d'une ancienne forteresse médiévale du XIe siècle dont il reste aujourd'hui la chapelle, les douves et le donjon (vestige du mur d'enceinte). Initialement propriété des seigneurs de Tonnay-Charente, le site a connu de nombreux propriétaires dont, entre autres, Jacques Poussard (conseiller de Charles VI), la famille Daillon ou encore la famille Acarie. Cette famille, dont les hommes étaient d'illustres militaires, a vécu au château plus de 300 ans et a réalisé d'importants travaux d'agrandissement... Son surnom de " Château du Chat Botté " remonte au XVIIe siècle, quand il fut la propriété du vrai Marquis de Carabas dont s'inspira Charles Perrault pour écrire son célèbre conte !


CRAZANNES CASTLE Crazannes, Charente-Maritime Built during the 14th and 15th centuries, classified as a historical monument in 1913, Crazannes Castle is one of the oldest castles in Charente-Maritime. Its building started during the 14th century, in place of a former medieval fortress from the 11th century, from which there remains the chapel, the moats and the dungeon (vestiges of the surrounding walls). Initially owned by lords of Tonnay-Charente, this site has then had many owners among whom Jacques Poussard (counselor of Charles VI), the Daillon family and the Acarie family. This family lived in the castle for more than 300 years and carried out important works to enlarge it. It was given the surname of “Castle of the Booted Cat� in the 17th century, when it was owned by the true Marquis de Carabas who inspired Charles Perrault’s famous tale !


CHÂTEAU DE LA ROCHECOURBON Autour de 1475, Jehan II de Latour construit une puissante forteresse, nommée la ROMETTE. Elle devient le Château de la Roche Courbon au XVII siècle, lorsqu'elle est transformée par le marquis Jean-Louis de Courbon. Puis, vers 1710 elle est en partie détruite par un incendie. Deux cents ans plus tard, en 1925, vendu aux enchères, le site est classé Monument Historique pour partie et en 1946 dans son ensemble. Toujours en ruines, il s'ouvre à la visite. Pierre LOTI admire et s'attriste pour ce château. En 1908 il lance un appel à l'aide dans le Figaro : « Qui veut sauver de la mort une forêt avec son château féodal campé au milieu, dont personne ne sait plus l'âge ? ». Quinze ans plus tard, Paul CHÉNEREAU, ému par cet appel, décide de sauver le domaine. En 1990, un nouvel incendie dévaste la grange qui est heureusement rapidement restaurée. En 2004, le château obtient le label d’Etat « Jardins remarquables ». Actuellement, en raison des grottes préhistoriques sous le château, il dispose d'un musée de la préhistoire. Ce dernier n'est pas sa seule originalité... Le 9 octobre 1977, à 21h10 heures, trois personnes déclarent être témoins de la venue d'un OVNI. Plaisanterie, mythe, réalité ? Il semblerait que le château n'ait toujours pas révélé tous ses secrets...


LA ROCHE-COURBON CASTLE St-Porchaire, Charente-Maritime Around 1475, Jehan II de Latour built a powerful fortress named « the Romette ». It became the Château de la Roche Courbon in the seventeenth century, when it was transformed by Marquis Jean-Louis de Courbon. In 1710, it was partly destroyed by a fire. Two hundred years later, in 1925, sold at auction, the site was classified as a historical monument in part, and in 1946 as a whole. Still in ruins, it opens to visitors. Pierre Loti an artist, admired the castle. In 1908 he launched an appeal to help in the Figaro : "Who wants to save a forest of death with its castle camped in the middle, that nobody knows the age ?". Fifteen years later, Paul CHÉNEREAU, moved by this appeal, decided to save the field. In 1990, another fire destroyed the barn, but it was fortunately quickl restored. In 2004, the castle got the label state "Remarkable gardens." Today, thanks to the prehistoric caves beneath the castle, it has a museum of prehistory. This is not its only originality... October 09th, 1977 at 9:10 pm, three people reported being witness to the arrival of a UFO. Was it a joke, myth, reality? Maybe the castle has still not revealed all its secrets ...


VIEUX-PORT DE LA ROCHELLE ET SES TOURS

Le Vieux-Port de La Rochelle est le port historique de la ville. Les deux tours médiévales qui gardent l'entrée l'ont rendu mondialement célèbre. C'est grâce à ce port que La Rochelle a pris de l'importance durant la Guerre de Cent ans, puis avec la découverte de l'Amérique. Au 17è siècle et au 18è siècle, le Vieux-Port de La Rochelle a drainé plus de la moitié du trafic colonial vers la Nouvelle-France, ce qui en fait aujourd'hui un lieu de pèlerinage pour de nombreux touristes. Le port a été construit au 13ème siècle, les quais datent du 18ème et 19ème siècle.


OLD HARBOUR AND TOWERS La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime

The harbour of La Rochelle is the historic harbour of the city. The medieval towers to are famous all over the world. It thanks to the harbour that's La Rochelle takes importance Hundred Years War, then with the discovery of America. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Rochelle drained more than half of the trafic to colonial New France, making it today a place of tourists. The harbour was built in the 13th century and his quay in 18th and 19th centuries.

save the entry during de the harbour of La pilgrimage for


VIEUX-PORT DE LA ROCHELLE ET SES TOURS

Parmi les édifices autour du Vieux Port de La Rochelle, on découvrira la Tour de la Lanterne qui fut érigée au 15ème siècle. Haute de 55 mètres elle servit de prison aux Anglais, Hollandais ou Espagnols. La Tour de la Chaîne forme avec la Tour Saint-Nicolas la porte d’entrée du port de La Rochelle. L’architecte Juste Lisch rénova l'extérieur de celle ci entre 1884 et 1888. La Tour de la Chaîne se nomme ainsi car une chaîne robuste était tendue depuis cette tour jusqu’à la Tour Saint-Nicolas sur l’autre rive afin de barrer l’accès au port. Il existait à l’époque deux tours de la Chaîne, l’une plus petite, datant du 13ème siècle, où était attachée la chaîne et l’autre plus grande, construite entre 1378 et 1380, où logeait le capitaine de la garnison qui veillait à la défense du port. La petite tour fut détruite en 1827 pour élargir l’entrée du port.


OLD HARBOUR AND TOWERS La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime

Among the buildings around the Old Harbour of La Rochelle, we discover the Lantern Tower, which was built in the 15th century. High of 55 meters, it served as a prison for English, Dutch and Spanish. The Chain Tower forms with St. Nicholas Tower the door of the harbour of La Rochelle. The architect Juste Lisch renovated the exterior of this one between 1884 and 1888. The Chain Tower is called so because a robust chain was stretched from this tower to St. Nicholas Tower on the other side to block access to the harbour. There were two towers at that time, the smallest built in the 13th century, which was attached to the chain, and the largest one, built between 1378 and 1380, which housed the captain of the garrison who watched the defence of the harbour. The small tower was destroyed in 1827 to expand the harbour.


HÔTEL DE VILLE DE LA ROCHELLE L’hôtel de ville de La Rochelle héberge la mairie de la ville de La Rochelle depuis 1298. Entre 1628 et 1748, le bâtiment est la résidence du Gouverneur de l'Aunis et de la Ville avant de redevenir la maison de la ville. Il est classé au titre des monuments historiques depuis le 27 décembre 1861. Largement détérioré, le bâtiment subit, à la fin du XIXe siècle, une lourde restauration, mêlant restauration à l'identique, transformation et extension de bâtiment.


CITY HALL OF LA ROCHELLE Charente-Maritime The building is the city hall of La Rochelle since 1298. Between 1628 and 1748, the building is the residence of the Governor of Aunis and the City before becoming again the house of the city. It is classified as a historical monument since December 27th, 1861. Widely damaged, the building undergoes, in the end of the XIXth century, a heavy restoration, mixing restoration as before, transformation and extension of building.


PHARE DE CORDOUAN À la fin du XVIe siècle, pour assurer la sécurité des vaisseaux et de la navigation, le Maréchal de Matignon et son ami Michel de Montaigne passèrent commande à Louis de Foix, un ingénieur-architecte, le 2 mars 1584. Le phare de Cordouan a 6 étages. Pour arriver jusqu'à la lanterne il faut gravir 311 marches. Il est le 2ème plus grand phare de France avec 68 mètres de hauteur. Il est aussi le plus vieux phare d'Europe. Il a fêté ses 400 ans en 2012. Il est le premier phare classé monument historique en 1862 et l'unique phare en mer au monde, ouvert au public. Il est appelé le "le Versailles des mers".


CORDOUAN LIGHTHOUSE Verdon-sur-Mer, Gironde

At the end of the 16th century, to assure the safety of their vessels and of the navigation, Matignon's Marshall and his friend Michel de Montaigne placed order from Louis de Foix, engineer-architect, on March 2nd 1524. Cordouan lighthouse has six upstairs. Until the lantern's top, you have to climb 311 steps. It's the second highest French lighthouse with 68 meters. It's the oldest European lighthouse too. It's today 400 years-old. It's the first lighthouse to be historical monument in 1862 and the only one in sea in the world, open to public. It's called "le Versailles des mers".


FORT VAUBAN Le Fort Vauban se trouve à Fouras, dans le département de Charente maritime. Le fort possède un donjon, une cour, un rempart mais aussi une crypte.

Il a été construit au cours du XIe siècle, c'est un château qui contrôle l'estuaire et qui sert de péage. Le fort a été détruit vers 1351 et a été reconstruit en 1480 par Jean II de Brosse qui était maréchal de France. A partir de 1666, il devient une pièce importante du système de défense du littoral charentais grâce à la construction de l'arsenal de Rochefort. François Ferry (ingénieur du roi Louis XIV) transforme la demeure seigneuriale en « fort à la mer » de 1689 à 1693, il crée une plate-forme de tir pour 9 canons à 36 mètre audessus de la mer. A la fermeture de l'arsenal de Rochefort en 1927, le fort ne sert plus. C'est en 1937 qu'il est classé monument historique. Ainsi, de 1666 à 1927, il a servi de protection contre les ennemis, mais aujourd'hui c'est un musée d'histoire régionale.


Fort Vauban, also called « Fort de Fouras » or « Sémaphore de Fouras » is located in Fouras in Charente-maritime. The fortress contains a keep, a courtyard, a wall and a crypt. It was built during the eleventh century, it was a castle which controled the estuary and which served as a toll. It was destroyed in 1351 and rebuilt in 1480 by Jean II de Brosse, a French Marshal. In 1666, it becomes an important part of Charente's coast defence thanks to the construction of Rochefort's arsenal. François Ferry (engineer of king Louis XIV) transformed it between 1689 and 1693 : it became a Seigneurial house, in a Fortified town. He created a shooting platform with nine cannons on it 36 meters above the sea. In 1927, at the the arsenal's closure, it wasn't used anymore. In 1937, it became a historic monument. Between 1666 and 1927, it protected of invaders but now it's a history museum.

FORT VAUBAN Fouras, Charente-Maritime


FORT LOUVOIS

d'Oléron.

Le fort Louvois est une fortification située sur le rocher du Chapus, au pied du pont de l'Ile

Le projet de construction a été réalisé par le marquis de Louvois, puis confié à l'ingénieur François Ferry. Sa première fonction était de croiser les tirs de canons avec la citadelle d'Oléron afin de défendre l'arsenal de Rochefort et d'assurer un point de communication avec l'île. Il est classé monument historique depuis 1929. Pendant la seconde guerre mondiale, il est sévèrement bombardé en 1944, lors de la libération de Marennes. Il est alors entièrement restauré en 1960 par la DRAC (direction régionale des affaires culturelles). Le Fort Louvois est présent dans le générique de la célèbre émission Fort Boyard.


FORT LOUVOIS Bourcefranc-le-Chapus, Charente-Maritime

Fort Louvois is a fortification located on the rock Chapus, near the bridge of the isle of Oléron. The construction's project was made for marquis Louvois, and entrusted by engineer François Ferry. Its primary function was to cross the gunfire with the citadel of Oléron to defend the arsenal of Rochefort and provide a point of communication with the isle. It has been classified as a historic monument since 1929. During world war II, it was severely bombed in 1944 during the liberation of Marennes. Then, it was completely restored in 1960 by the DRAC (Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs). Fort Louvois is now present in the famous TV show « Fort Boyard ».


FORTIFICATIONS DE ST-MARTIN-DE-RÉ

Inscrites au patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO depuis 2008, les fortifications de St-Martin-de-Ré sont facilement reconnaissables à leur forme en étoile et par le caractère unique de leurs dimensions (un demi cercle de 1,5 km de rayon et plus de 14 km de murailles). Construites sous Louis XIV, par Vauban (grand ingénieur en architecture militaire) de 1681 à 1685, leur fonction était de protéger et défendre le port de La Rochelle et l'Arsenal de Rochefort des attaques anglaises. La taille des fortifications s'explique par le fait que la ville se devait de protéger l'ensemble de la population de l'île en cas d'attaque. Les fortifications sont extrêmement bien conservées, et n'ont subi aucune restauration majeure. Elles sont aujourd'hui un exemple unique de fortifications insulaires à travers le monde.


FORTIFICATIONS OF ST. MARTIN Saint-Martin-de-RĂŠ, Charente-Maritime

Registered in Unesco World Heritage since 2008, the walls of St Martin de RĂŠ are easily recognizable with their star shape (semicircle of 1,5km radius and 14km at walls). Built under king Louis XIV, by Vauban (engineer of the military architecture) from 1681 to 1685, their function was to protect and defend the Harbour of La Rochelle and the Arsenal of Rochefort from English attacks. The size of the walls is explained by the fact that the city had to protect the population of the island when attacked. The walls are extremely well preserved and did not undergo important restoration. Today, they are the only example of insular walls in the world.


FORT BOYARD

Le Fort Boyard est, comme son nom l'indique, un fort qui se trouve entre l'île d'Aix et l'île d'Oléron. Sa construction commence en 1804 et se termine en 1857. Il appartient initialement à l'armée française. L'architecte est d'ailleurs un génie militaire français. Ce fort était à l'origine construit pour protéger l'arsenal de Rochefort, il était dans une zone totalement hors d'atteinte pour les canons de l'ennemi, il devait également servir de prison. Le fort est ovale et il mesure 68 m de long sur 31 m de large. Sa superficie total est de 2 689 m². Il est construit sur un banc de sable nommé « longe de Boyard » auquel le fort doit son nom. Aujourd'hui son propriétaire est le Conseil général de la Charente Maritime, le Fort Boyard est inscrit à l’inventaire des Monuments Historiques et il est utilisé comme lieu de tournage du jeu télévisé Fort Boyard.


FORT BOYARD Dolus d'Oléron, Charente-Maritime

« Fort Boyard » is, as its name says, a fortification situated between the island of Aix and the island of Oléron. Its construction began in 1804 and ended in 1857, it initially belonged to the French army. Moreover, the architect was a French military genius. That fortification was originally built to protect Rochefort's arsenal. At its location, it was in a zone completely out of reach for the enemy's cannons, it was also used as a prison. Fort Boyard is oval, it is 68 meters long for 31 meters wide. Its total area is 2.689 m². It is built on a sandbank called « longe de Boyard » from which it owes its name. Today its owner is the General Council of Charente Maritime. Fort Boyard is registered and used as the location for the TV show Fort Boyard.


PHARE DES BALEINES En réalité il y a deux phares des Baleines. En effet en 1825 on décida de construire une nouvelle tour plus grande que celle de Vauban, soit en mer, soit sur la pointe rocheuse des Baleines. En 1849 sous les ordres de Léonce Reynaud (architecte) l'on commença simultanément la construction du grand phare actuel mais aussi celle d'un phare de troisième ordre en mer, le phare du Haut Banc Nord, appelé aussi phare des Baleineaux. Le phare des Baleines fut allumé en 1854, il a fonctionné au pétrole jusqu'en 1882, puis a été doté d'une centrale de production d'énergie électrique à vapeur vers 1904. Enfin, il a été raccordé au réseau électrique après la seconde guerre mondiale. Le grand phare des Baleines est un phare de premier ordre, dit aussi phare d'atterrissage, il est équipé d'optiques de Fresnel (toujours en service), dont la taille permet d'éclairer le plus loin possible. Ce bâtiment est une tour octogonale en pierres apparentes et le soubassement est en granit bleu de Kersanton. Sa hauteur est de 57 m et sa portée de 39 km.


WHALES LIGHTHOUSE Saint-Clément-des-Baleines, Charente-Maritime

In reality, there are two Whales lighthouses. In 1825, it was decided to build a new tower greater than Vauban’s, either at sea or on the Whales rock. In 1849 under the command of Léonce Reynaud (architect) simultaneously began the construction of the large current lighthouse but also a third order one at sea, the Bench of the High North lighthouse, also called the Light of Calves. The Whales lighthouse was lit in 1854. It worked with oil until 1882, and then with a central steam electric Power Production since 1904. Finally, it was connected to the grid after the Second World War. The great Whales lighthouse is a beacon of first order also said landing light, it is equipped with Fresnel optics (still in use), whose size can illuminate as far as possible. This building is an octagonal tower with stonework and its base is made with blue Kersanton granite. Its height is 57 m and has a 39 km range.


VILLA LA JETÉE Bâti en 1903 (1er quart du 20e siècle) par l’architecteCotton, cet hôtel particulier connu également sous le nom de Château Bugeau, est inscrit aux Monuments Historiques depuis le 2 février 2007. Elle se trouve au 3 boulevard de La Jetée et fait partie des 5 constructions répertoriées de Fouras. Cette villa a servi de cadre à des romans et à des séries télévisées.

Elle est aujourd'hui propriété privée.


VILLA LA JETテ右 Fouras, Charente-Maritime Built in 1903 (1st quarter of the 20th century) by Cotton (an architect), this mansion, known also under the name of Castle Bugeau, was registered as Historical monument on February 2nd, 2007. It is located in 3 boulevard of The Pier and is part of 5 constructions listed among Fouras Historical Monuments. This villa was used to realize novels or television series. Today it is property of a private person.


GARE DE LA ROCHELLE La gare de la Rochelle est une gare ferroviaire qui se trouve sur la commune de la Rochelle, en Charente-Maritime (PoitouCharentes). C'est le 6 janvier 1857 que la gare de la Rochelle-PO est mise en service par la Compagnie du chemin de fer de Paris à Orléans. La gare était située à l'origine sous les remparts de la ville, près de la porte Saint-Nicolas. L’actuel bâtiment de la gare, qui comprend une tour de l’Horloge haute de 45 mètres, a été construit en 1922 par Pierre Esquié pour les Chemins de Fer de l’Etat, en remplacement de la gare antérieure. Il a été restauré par Franck Beck et Luc Mouret au début des années 90 pour l’arrivée du TGV Atlantique. La tour de la gare de La Rochelle, ses façades, ses toitures, son hall et ses mosaïques sont inscrits au titre des monuments historiques depuis le 27 avril 1984.


LA ROCHELLE RAILWAY STATION Charente-Maritime La Rochelle station is a railway station which is located in the town of La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime (PoitouCharentes). January 6, 1857 the station of La Rochelle-PO is commissioned by the Company of the railway from Paris to Orleans. The station is located at the origin close to the walls of La Rochelle, near the Porte The station building, which includes a 45-metre-tall clock tower, was built in 1922 by Pierre EsquiĂŠ for the National Railway, replacing the older building. The station was renovated by Franck Beck and Luc Mouret in the early 1990s for the arrival of the TGV Atlantique. The tower of the station, its facades, its roofs, the lobby and the mosaics in the station of La Rochelle have been registered as parts of the historic monument since of April 27, 1984.


PONT DE L’ÎLE DE RÉ Le pont de l'île de Ré, situé en Charente-Maritime, va du lieu dit La Repentie, qui est proche du port de la Pallice au nord-ouest de La Rochelle, jusqu'à à la pointe de Sablanceaux à Rivedoux-Plage à l'Est de l'île de Ré. La construction de ce pont a été décidée par le conseil général de la Charente-Maritime, en 1980 et en vertu d'un arrêté d'utilité publique par le préfet de Charente-Maritime le 28 août 1984. Ce pont a été construit pour assurer la continuité territoriale entre le continent et l'île de Ré. Cette construction a été confiée à l'entreprise Bouygues et a débuté le 26 février 1987. La construction de ce pont a été terminée en 23 mois à peine, après quoi a suivi son inauguration le 19 mai 1988. Ce pont culmine à 42 mètres au dessus de la mer et mesure 2926,5 mètres de long. Après le pont de Saint-Nazaire, il est aujourd'hui le plus long pont de France.


RÉ ISLAND BRIDGE La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime The bridge of the island of Ré, situated in Charente-Maritime, links the industrial harbour of La Pallice, northwest of La Rochelle, to the eastern extremity of the island of Ré. The construction of this bridge was decided by the General Council of Charente-Maritime in 1980. This bridge was built to ensure territorial continuity between the continent and the island of Ré. This construction was entrusted to the company Bouygues and began on February 26th 1987. The construction of this bridge was completed in just 23 months, after which followed its inauguration on May 19th 1988. The bridge rises 42 meters above the sea and connects the island of Ré and La Rochelle with a length of 2926.5 meters. After the bridge of Saint-Nazaire, today it is the longest bridge in France.


THE BOOK OF MONUMENTS  

description

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you