The Point Wilson Lighthouse was built in 1913 by the Lighthouse Service. At a height of 51 feet, the beacon is the tallest on Puget Sound, marking the entrance to Admiralty Inlet. The lighthouse replaced an earlier wooden light tower built in 1879 on the roof of the station keeper’s house. The Point Wilson Lighthouse, located in Fort Worden State Park near Port Townsend, is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Washington State Heritage Register. It is one of the most important navigational aids in Washington, a link connecting Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The Point Wilson Light Station is still under the ownership and control of the Coast Guard Station in Port Angeles, WA. The Port Townsend Coast Guard Auxiliary, Flotilla #47 maintains the lighthouse and surrounding building and offer’s free guided tours at the Point Wilson Light Station for the public’s enjoyment.
W elcom e to PIH A ’s H istoric H aunting of W ashington State M agazine On behalf of the volunteer paranormal investigators of PIHA, I invite you to experience Washington State’s amazing historical sites and museums like never before. PIHA has created a program unlike any other in Washington State. Through our process of networking with local historical societies, museums and registered historical sites, PIHA hopes to help educate the public of our state’s exciting history and the process and technology utilized in today’s paranormal investigations. PIHA was created with two goals in mind: 1. PIHA hopes to bring our history to life by attempting to obtain significant evidence of these strange occurrences. Utilizing the latest in today’s electronic technology and dedicated paranormal investigators, we are accomplishing this objective. 2. PIHA wants to stimulate additional interest in our residents and visitors to Washington State’s fascinating history. We want to encourage individuals, families, schools and community organizations to visit these (and other) historical locations for a better understanding of our state’s history and the people who made it. PIHA is not out to prove or disprove the existence of possible paranormal activity, but to publish any significant evidence collected at an investigation and let each individual decided for himself what to believe or not to believe. Wherever your travels in Washington take you, best wishes for a “Trip to the Extraordinary”. For additional information about PIHA, visit our website at www.pihausa.com
In this Issue: Welcome to PIHA’s Historic Haunting of Washington State Magazine…..2 Washington State History……………………………..……….5 The History of Port Townsend Washington History.….….….7 The History of Point Wilson Lighthouse Station ……...…..…8 Paranormal Investigation Report……………………..…..…...11 Paranormal History Report………………..……………...… ...13 About PIHA’s Historic Haunting of Washington State Program………….15 Contact PIH A : PIHA (Paranormal Investigations of Historic America) Address: 16755 Wales Street SE City, State, Zip: Monroe, WA 98272 Phone: 360.799.4138 Email: Info@pihausa.com Website: WWW.PIHAUSA.COM Vaughn Hubbard: Case Manager/Historian Debbie Knapp: Lead Investigator/Historian Kathy Gavin: Lead Investigator Christian Wells: Investigator
PIH A M agazine Publisher: Publisher………………...…..….Historic Haunting Chief Publisher…………..……..Vaughn Hubbard Program Manager:………….…..Debbie Knapp Marketing Manager:………….....Kathy Gavin Graphic Designer:…………...…..Christian Wells
Reference M aterial: aterial : We wish to acknowledge the HistoryLink for allowing PIHA to use their published historical research information as reference material. To read about the history of Washington State visit the HistoryLink website at: WWW.HISTORYLINK.ORG
Washington State History The State of Washington occupies the far northwest corner of the contiguous 48 United States. It occupies 66,582 square miles (176,600 square kilometers) between the Pacific Ocean on the west and the Idaho border at 117 degrees longitude. Washington borders Canada on the north along the 49th parallel and Oregon on the south along the Columbia River and 46th parallel. Great Britain and the United States jointly occupied the region between 1818 and 1846, when Britain ceded the Pacific Northwest below the 49th parallel to the U.S. In 1848 the U.S. created Oregon Territory, including the future states of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho and a portion of Montana. Washington Territory (including Idaho and western Montana until 1863) was separated from Oregon on March 2, 1853, and gained statehood on November 11, 1889. The federal government created Oregon Territory on August 14, 1848. The area of the new jurisdiction included the present-day states of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and western Montana. The discovery of gold in California in 1848 triggered a large westward migration, and settlement of Oregon Territory was promoted by passage of the Donation Land Claims Act of 1850, which granted 160 acres to any U.S. citizen who agreed to occupy his or her land for five years. On August 29, 1851, 27 male settlers met at Cowlitz Landing (south of present-day Olympia) to petition Congress for a separate “Columbia Territory” covering the area between the Columbia River and 49th parallel. The petition was reaffirmed by 44 delegates who met in Monticello on November 25, 1852. Congress approved the new territory on February 10, 1853, but changed its name to “Washington.” President Millard Fillmore signed the bill on March 2, 1853, and Olympia was named the Territorial Capital and has remained the capital of both Washington Territory and State since 1853. President Franklyn Pierce named Isaac I. Stevens as the first governor of an area that included northern Idaho and western Montana until President Abraham Lincoln established Idaho Territory on March 4, 1863. Washington’s non-Indian population grew steadily to more than 300,000 over the following decades. Its residents began petitioning for statehood in 1881, and Washington was admitted to the Union on November 11, 1889, with the signature of President Benjamin Harrison. Thirty federally recognized sovereign Indian tribes and reservations occupy substantial areas in Washington, and there are an additional seven unrecognized but culturally distinct tribes. Native American Indian tribes have occupied this area; now know as Washington State for over 10,000 years and have a rich history in culture and survival. By the 1850s, when the first Euro American settlers arrived at Alki Point and along the Duwamish River, diseases had already taken a devastating toll on native peoples and their cultures. During the 80 year period from the 1770s to 1850, smallpox, measles, influenza, and other diseases had killed an estimated 28,000 Native Americans in Western Washington, leaving about 9,000 survivors. Historian Robert Boyd conducted extensive research on the effect of European diseases on Northwest coast Indians. In his book, The Coming of the Spirit of Pestilence, he states that the 1775 Spanish expedition led by Bruno Hezeta, commander of the Santiago and Juan Fracisco de la Bodega & Quadra, commander of the Sonora was the most likely carrier.
The History of Port Townsend Washington On May 2, 1792, Discovery and Chatham entered a well-protected natural harbor toward the east end of the Strait, which Vancouver named Port Discovery for his ship Leaving much of the crew with the anchored ships, Vancouver set out on May 7, 1792, with a party in three small boats to explore the surrounding area. They rounded the Quimper Peninsula, the neck of land jutting off the Olympic Peninsula that separates Port Discovery from the harbor of Port Townsend, and camped that night on a swampy spit of land, which Vancouver named Point Hudson, at the entrance to Port Townsend harbor. May 8, 1792, Vancouver wrote in his log "To this port I gave the name of Port Townshend, in honor of the noble Marquis" George Townsend, the marquis Vancouver honored, was a British general. The United States Exploring Expedition of 1841, led by Lt. Charles Wilkes, charted the bay as Port Townsend. The first Americans settled on the bay in 1851. In October of that year, Alfred A. Plummer, Charles Bachelder, Loren B. Hastings, and Francis W. Pettygrove met in the cabin Plummer and Bachelder had erected on the beach below Point Hudson and agreed to establish a town on the site. They named the proposed town "after the bay on which it was situated, Port Townsend". Port Townsend soon became the site of the U.S. Customs port of entry, the county seat of newly formed Jefferson County, and one of the leading settlements in Washington Territory.
In service 1920 The U.S.S. Governor 1921 it sank in Port Townsend
Port Townsend 1860
The History of the Point Wilson Lighthouse Station The Point Wilson Lighthouse was built in 1913 by the Lighthouse Service. At a height of 51 feet, the beacon is the tallest on Puget Sound, marking the entrance to Admiralty Inlet. The lighthouse replaced an earlier wooden light tower built in 1879 on the roof of the station keeper’s house. The Point Wilson Lighthouse, located in Fort Worden State Park near Port Townsend, is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Washington State Heritage Register. It is one of the most important navigational aids in Washington, a link connecting Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Point Wilson is situated on the Olympic Peninsula at the northeastern most point of Jefferson County, approximately two miles north of Port Townsend. This low, broad sandspit, extending over a half-mile into the water, marks the entrance to Admiralty Inlet from the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Here, the main shipping channel narrows and makes a sharp turn to the south into Puget Sound. Nearby shoals, heavy rip-tides, and persistent fogs influenced the placing of a lighthouse on Point Wilson in 1879. The Chimacum Indians named this point Kam-kam-ho; the S’Klallum Indians called it Kam-Kum. Captain George Vancouver (1758-1798) of the British Navy named Point Wilson on June 6, 1792, in honor of a colleague, Captain George Wilson. Marine surveys of Washington’s inland waterways, commissioned by the Lighthouse Board in the 1850s, recommended the entrance to Admiralty Inlet be marked with two lights; on Whidbey Island to the east, and on Point Wilson to the west. In 1856, Congress appropriated only enough money to build one lighthouse. The Lighthouse Board decided Whidbey Island was best suited to help sailing vessels clear the shallow waters around Point Wilson for the south turn into Admiralty Inlet and Port Townsend. On January 21, 1861, the first light was established on the 90-foot bluff at Admiralty Head; Point Wilson wasn’t to have a light or fog signal for another 18 years. Congress appropriated funds to establish a light station on Point Wilson. In 1879, the sidewheeler S. S. Shubruck, a 140-foot lighthouse tender, delivered building materials to the point, and construction of the light station began immediately. The new Point Wilson Light Station was commissioned on December 15, 1879. The Lighthouse Service appointed David M. Littlefield (1840-1913), a local resident, to be Point Wilson’s first light station keeper for which he was paid $800 per year. Littlefield, a Civil War veteran, arrived in Port Townsend in 1867 as a farmer. In 1869, he married Maria C. Hastings (1850-1912), the eldest daughter of Loren B. Hastings (1814-1881), one of Port Townsend’s founders. In 1884, after four years on Point Wilson, Littlefield left the Lighthouse Service, settling in Port Townsend. 9
The PIHA Grey Teamâ€™s Paranormal Investigation On Saturday, June 19th 2010 the PIHA Grey Team accomplished a paranormal investigation of the historic Point Wilson Lighthouse and came away with some interesting results indicating that possible paranormal activity does exist in this historic site. These are the results of that investigation. The Grey Team began their investigation at the Point Wilson Light Keeperâ€™s House at 8:00 PM. The PIHA Grey Team and Lead Investigator, Debbie Knapp, was assisted by Coast Guard Auxiliary, Flotilla #47, members Clyde Snyder and Lucinda Eubanks. As is the usual practice, the team first completes a scan of the area to be investigated. They use their EMF (Electromagnetic Field) detectors to locate any abnormal electronic energy that may exist. A team member also scans for any significant changes in the ambient (room) temperature. Next, the Grey Team sets up their IR (Infrared) camcorders to video tape any shadows or strange movement that may take place during their EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena) session. Finally they position the parabolic dish that they use to record any noises or voices that may or may not be heard by ear. The parabolic dish also has a headset attached allowing an investigator to hear any voices or noises that cannot be heard naturally by the other investigators during the EVP session. This has proven to be a valuable tool to validate anything recorded during the EVP session that would otherwise go unnoticed. Results of the PIHA Paranormal Investigation: 8:17 PM - At about 8:17 PM, Kathy felt something touch her hair 8:19 PM - During an EVP session the investigators hear noises from the upstairs area 8:24 PM - When Flotilla #47 guest client, Lucinda Eubank is talking about her past relatives who lived at the lighthouse, a moan is recorded. 9:40 PM - During an EVP session, Kathy hears what sounds like "Oh Boy" from an unknown source 9:41 PM - During the investigation, everyone hears sounds coming from the hallway outside of bedroom #1 9:49 PM - Kathy, Debbie and Lucinda hear a voice say Go On
9:50 PM - During an EVP session, Debbie asked for someone to knock and hears a knocking noise in response that sounds like it could be coming from the downstairs area. 9:56 PM - Lucinda has a strong impression of the name Kathy and then Art or Arthur 10:03 PM - While up stairs in the first room I was sitting in the corner and felt a vibration or sensed a present behind me as my heart started to feel pressed on like in a previous investigation. 10:08 PM - Debbie asked for a shadow to appear and gets an answer "No". Right then a shadow quickly appears on the wall next to Kathy and a noise is recorded but not heard. Since everyone is seated, it cannot be from anyone in the room 10:10 PM - A female sounding whining is heard during the EVP session 10:14 PM - A very faint voice is recorded on the parabolic dish 10:17 PM - During an EVP session the parabolic dish records an unknown voice that sounds like it is saying Vaughn 10:17 PM - Kathy feels another sensation behind her and Debbie validates her claims with the activity recorded on the K-II meter 10:22 PM - Another faint voice is recorded on the parabolic dish 10:28 PM - Debbie asked someone to tell Kathy their name and someone say's Michael. Right after a voice say's "Michael" another faint voice is recorded. 10:29 PM - Right at the end of the EVP session in bedroom #1 a sound which sounds like a sigh is recorded on the parabolic dish 10:35 PM - During the EVP session in bedroom #2 a sound which sounds like a sigh is recorded on the parabolic dish 10:35 PM - Right from the start of the sweep of bedroom #2, the K-II meters started indicating an EMF (Electromagnetic Field) presence in this area. Guest Client, Clyde Snyder from Flotilla #47, was told a story about another male figure that has been reported to be seen in this area and wonders if this activity is related to that male figure. The actual identity of this male figure has never been determined. 10:49 PM - During an EVP session, a strange small beam of light appears on Debbie and then quickly disappears
The History of Paranormal Activity The Point Wilson Lighthouse Station has a long and documented history of paranormal activity. This historic site has been investigated by other paranormal groups for years and most have stories to tell. Maybe it’s because of the location, the many shipwrecks and lost lives that have occurred, or the past residents that once occupied the facility. No one really knows for sure why these phenomena exist; all they know is that it does! Visitors and residents report a variety of phenomena from feelings of dread to seeing full bodied apparitions. There are also stories of being touched by an unseen source, hearing voices coming from no where, shadows and mist that can’t be explained. And the reports just keep coming and the stories are still being told. Coast Guard wives stationed at Point Wilson Lighthouse have reported a shadow of a woman has been seen and heard in the keeper's quarters. Many a time a movement out of the corner of the eye has been seen, and when the wife would turn, there was nothing there but a fleeting shadow. Footsteps would often be heard leaving the room as the wife would turn to look. The woman is apparently a little on the nosy side, as evidenced by hearing someone rummaging in the bathroom cabinet, but of course no one else was in the house. Who is this woman in a long gown that has also been seen wandering the grounds and going up into the lighthouse? No one seems to know for sure, but it is felt it could be the spirit of a woman whose daughter was lost in one of the numerous shipwrecks around Puget Sound. On one occasion, a mantle full of birthday cards was swept clean, all of them scattered on the floor. Perhaps it was the anniversary of the daughter's birthday. The neighbors have also heard the sounds of rummaging coming from the upstairs, even going so far as to call over and ask if anyone was there. Strangely enough, most of the men that were stationed at the light have never seen or heard anything, with one exception. A visitor staying there and sleeping on the couch, and awoke with the feeling someone or something was smothering him. He sat up, clutching his throat and gasping for breath, and saw a figure of a woman in the kitchen. As he got up to see if she was the one who'd attacked him, she vanished. After speaking with several people it appears that the sightings have been in the light keeper’s house, not the lighthouse. David M Littlefiend, the first lightkeeper of the Point Wilson Light, was married to Maria Hastings on July 5th, 1869. They lost a child who some believe drowned while they lived at the lighthouse. It is believed by some that Maria is the women who return looking for her child. Another story told is about the spirit of a male that was reported by a former resident of the duplex. Dot Ross (Coast Guard Auxiliary) was giving a tour of the Point Wilson Lighthouse when one of the visitors told Dot that she had lived with her parents in the duplex in the 13
1950's. She told Dot that a male spirit had made his presence visible to her and told her that he never wanted to leave the lighthouse area. During PIHA's investigation, Coast Guard Auxiliary member, Clyde Snyder, felt the presence of someone and was documenting some very high readings from his K-II (EVP) meter. Clyde believes that this presence could have been the spirit of that man.
O n behalf of the volunteer paranorm par anorm al investigators of PIH A , w e invite you to experience W ashington State’s am azing historical sites and m useum s like never before. PIH A has created cre ated a program unlike any other in W ashington State. Through our process of netw orking w ith local H istorical Societies, m useum s and registered historical sites, PIH A hopes to help educate the public of our state’s exciting history and the process pro cess and technology techn ology utilized in paranorm al research. research . E ach m onth, onth , "PIH A M agazine" features feature s the history of a tow n or com m unity, and the individual m useum s and historical histor ical sites that w e investigated. PIH A schedules tw o com m unities to visit tw ice in a m onth. W e then schedule tw o separate investigations at a m useum and/or public historical site, site , for each w eekend visit. This process allow s us to do a paranorm al investigation at four different historical sites each m onth.
The PIH A A pproach to Paranorm al Investigations The PIH A “G rey Team ” is m ade up of dedicated paranorm al investigators w ith a passion for history and a curiosity in the paranorm al phenom ena. O ur approach, equipm ent and procedures to paranorm al investigating are prim arily based on research and logic in obtaining evidence e vidence of possible paranorm al activity. PIH A never use m edium s, psychics or O uija B oards in our investigations. M any people w ho think that som ething paranorm al exist, physics and logic can debunk. That said, occasionally PIH A obtains evidence that neither physics nor logic applies. W hen this occurs, w e classify it as paranorm al evidence and let each individual decide for him self w hat to believe or not believe. If your historical com m unity, m useum or public historical site has a history of paranorm al activity activi ty and w ould like a free paranorm al investigation, please contact: Vaughn Hubbard, PIHA, Case Manager/Historian Email: Vaughn@pihausa.com Website: www.PIHAUSA.com