Page 1

b ASSESSMENT: The internal assessment (IA) requirement is worth 40% of the final assessment and consists of one design project for both HL and SL courses. Student work is internally assessed by the teacher and externally moderated by the IB. The remaining 60% is externally assessed through exam papers cover the topics studied. The external assessment (exam papers) Assessment outline-HL Component Overall Weighting (%) Paper 1 20 Paper 2 20 Paper 3 20 Internal assessment 40 Design project Assessment outline-SL Component Overall weighting (%) Paper 1 30 Paper 2 30 Internal assessment 40 Design project IA component Duration: SL 40 hours and HL 60 hours Weighting: 40% Individual design project Common Assessment Criteria for both SL/HL: A: Analysis of design opportunity B: Conceptual design C: Development of a detailed design D: Testing and evaluation HL is assessed against two further criteria: E: Commercial production F: Marketing strategies

Other requirements:  A real interest and a strong ability in designing and creating is highly recommended in order to succeed

In preparation for the DT course you will need to do the following: 1) Explore the Technology Diploma wiki on the school portal – Technology – Yr 12/13 2) Visit: e/design/and explore the Graphics and resistant materials links/topics 3) Find me an interesting Youtube video on something to do with one of the topic titles. Make sure it is from a reliable source. 4) Visit and bring along an interesting article with your comments on it for discussion.

See you in August!

Why should I study DT? Design Technology is in Group 4 of the IB diploma course. It is classified as Science and covers a broad range of components of design, materials, manufacturing including social and environmental factors with the design process at its core. It is often a good compliment to students studying art and an alternative to students not wishing to pursue traditional science courses. What careers would DT be useful for?  Design  Interior design  Architecture  Engineering  Industrial Arts  Manufacturing  Architectural Technicians  Project Managers  Business In fact all studies would benefit from DT as it is about problem solving and using the design cycle and design process. Design Technology SL/HL (Group 4 Sciences) Design Technology is based on a model of learning that incorporates knowledge, skills and design principles in problem-solving contexts. The design cycle is at the core of the course, and it is expected that students will use this process in the practical investigative work as well as in the theory. Each element in the design cycle represents an aspect of design technology, which, when viewed together, constitutes a holistic approach.

How will I be taught? Lessons are interactive and are accompanied by online resources and presentations so that you can review them at home. There are course topic booklets that cover the each topic that you will be provided with both in electronic format and hard-copy. You will be expected to regularly read extra information from your textbooks before and after lessons, and bring to class any questions. You should keep an eye on the news for new developments in design and technology. An expectation of this course is for you to participate in discussions to ensure understanding of course content across a variety of design contexts. What will I study? Core Units of Study: Both SL and HL topics 1. Human factors and ergonomics 2. Resource management and sustainable production 3. Modelling 4. Raw material to final production 5. Innovation and design 6. Classic design Additional Topics HL only 1. User-centred design 2. Sustainability 3. Innovation and markets 4. Commercial production

How specifically will I be assessed? You will be assessed in 2 areas; external examination papers an Internally Assessed Investigations (IA’s), which is the Design Project. Throughout the course you will also be assessed on class presentations and smaller practical coursework activities. EXAM PAPERS: For Higher Level(HL): Paper 1 is a 60min paper with 40 multi choice questions and is worth 20% of your final grade. Paper 2 is a 90min paper worth 20% of your final grade. Section A contains one data-based question and several short-answer questions. Section B requires answering one extended-response question from a choice of 3. Paper 3 (HL ONLY) is a 90min paper worth 20% of your final grade. Section A two structured question on extension material and topics for higher level classes only. Internal assessment based on class practical work and Investigations. You will do about 60 hours HL and 40 hours SL. You will also take part in the Group 4 project at the end of first year. Your investigations are worth 40% of your final grade.

IA component Duration: SL 40 hours and HL 60 hours Weighting: 40% Individual design project


Dt intro to course 2014 brochure  
Dt intro to course 2014 brochure