THE DANISH ACTIVE HOUSE IN VIETNAM
CONTENT • INTRODUCTION TO THE DANISH ACTIVE HOUSE IN VIETNAM
• • • • • •
Vision Strategy for the building Partners behind the project Timeline Economics Support
• THE ACTIVE HOUSE • Location • Design • Concept • Technical specifications • The potential for manufacturers and suppliers • What does your company gain from becoming a partner? • VIETNAM
• Facts • Institute of tomorrow’s knowledge • Where can you find more information?
THE DANISH ACTIVE HOUSE IN VIETNAM The vision of the project is to create a platform for Danish companies in the building industry that wish to establish or strengthen their position at the growing markets in Vietnam and Southeast Asia. At the same time the project will support the growth of the Vietnamese building industry through research, shorter- and longer educations and transfer of Danish knowhow. The Danish Active House will therefore help to create: • a rise in competency in sustainable, energy- and process efficient buildings in Vietnam. • access to – and knowledge of – attractive Danish materials and technologies among the parties in many extensive building projects in Vietnam. The Danish Active House is therefore a showcase for Danish and Vietnamese competencies and materials in sustainable building. The goal is to construct a building that not only has low energy consumption, but is also selfsufficient in energy without compromising the optimal indoor climate. The architectural context with sustainable and energy efficient architecture is executed with respect for local traditions.
STRATEGY FOR THE BUILDING – THE DANISH ACTIVE HOUSE IN VIETNAM The strategic goals for the building is industry from authorities to architecture and ambitious. The Danish Active House in engineers, developers and executing actors. Vietnam will represent the very best in Not only the building’s architecture and sustainable materials and solutions as well as construction principles, but also its materials Danish architecture and engineering science and products will be used in the training as in a Vietnamese context. In such a manner the ”Best Practise” examples. building will appear as a unique showcase for STATE OF THE ART – VIETNAM Danish competencies aimed at the entire Southeast Asian market. • September 2012 the government approved ”The Vietnam Green Growth Strategy”, aiming The Danish Active House will in the future for a reduction in the emission of greenhouse provide a framework for the education- and gasses from 8% to 10% compared to the level knowledge centre The Institute of Tomorrow’s in 2010. Knowledge, which is the partners’ education centre and an integral part of the project. The • Buildings in Vietnam are responsible for more institute will use the building actively in post- than 50% of the total energy consumption. graduate training of the Vietnamese building • Result: A large potential for low-energy buildings.
PARTNERS BEHIND THE PROJECT
DANIDA (Business Partnership Programme) supports and co-finances the development of the business partnership The Danish Active House in Vietnam – and the associated development of The Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge.
DANIDA BPP partner: ”The project creates possibilities for exporting our knowledge and energy-ef ficient solutions with high architectural value. This project is the starting point for collaborating with local partners and thereby expand our market field. We contribute to the project’s design, project development and conclusion and we support the training at The Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge.” - Jakob Thiel, Kærsgaard og Andersen Architects & engeneers.
TRƯỜNG ĐẠI HỌC KIẾN TRÚC TP HỒ CHÍ MINH Ho Chi Minh City University of Architecture
DANIDA BPP par tner; THE ENERGY CONSERVATION CENTER HCMC (ECC) is the state agency for energy efficiency and currently already offers lectures in energyefficient construction. The ECC contributes to the project with knowledge and access to both the state- and private market in energy efficiency. The ECC ensures that the Vietnamese government’s goals are met.
University College Nordjylland, DANIDA BPP partner: ”We wish to create an export of our Danish educations. The first step is taken in construction but our expectations for the future are great. We expect several of our educations to be offered in Vietnam over time.” “We contribute with financial funding for the construction of The Danish Active House and The Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge and make a great effort to develop a professional network and strong political relations in Vietnam.”
HCMUARC, which is the leading university in the - Niels Peter Horsted, University College Nordjylland education of architects in Vietnam, is an associated partner and contributes with knowhow in BIM. HCMUARC also contributes with a strong professional network and as a link to specialists within the project’s target groups.
License and start of commercial activity, summer 2014
Project deadline October, 2015 Opening of The Danish Active House in Vietnam, summer 2016
DANIDA BPP project Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge The Danish Active House in Vietnam Design & Financing
Construction and establishment
Operation and maintainance
ECONOMY 18 %
The total project budget for the establishment of The Danish Active House in Vietnam and The Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge is 4.06 million USD (2013-16), of which the project’s partners have already guaranteed investment of approx. 3.32 million USD (>80%). Funding the project is distributed as the following: Companies
ECC (VN) UCN + KAAI (DK) Danida
Focus: cooperation agreement with People’s Committee of Ho Chi Minh City signed at the Vietnamese-Danish Trade & Investment Forum - Copenhagen, Denmark, September 2013 in the presence of President Truong Tan Sang and HRH Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark.
Profiled development project for the Climate-, Energy- and Building Ministry: Minister Martin Lidegaard participates in the Project’s opening event along with Vice Chairman of the People’s Committee of HCMC, Le Manh Ha, November 2012.
Vietnam’s leading university in architecture and building design, HCMUARC, is included as associated project partner. Agreement of knowledge- and expertise cooperation signed in June 2013.
Reception for the project’s partners at Aalborg City Hall, September 2013: Aalborg Municipality and Region North Jutland Denmark, support the project agreement.
LOCATION The Danish Active House in Vietnam has extensive political support from the People’s Committee, which is the topmost political authority for Ho Chi Minh City. Among other things, the People’s Committee has donated a lot for the construction of The Danish Active House in Vietnam – situated in Quang Trung Software Park, Ho Chi Minh City. THE LOCATION IS HIGHLY ATTRACTIVE • Only 15 minutes’ drive from Ho Chi Minh City International Airport. • Shuttle Bus service to and from Ho Chi Minh City centre. • Leading professional park for the IT-business, among other things with several technical universities.
At the same time the placement in Quang Trung Software Park is strategically optimal, because the People’s Committee of Ho Chi Minh City is planning to construct their own 9-storey office building as a demonstration building for energyefficient construction as nearest neighbor to The Danish Active House in Vietnam. Hereby the demonstration-/showcase potential is increased for both buildings, as well as ensuring significant attention from the Vietnamese government.
The design is on the initial concept level, where it is still considered the active and passive energy technologies that are most effective in terms of both energy consumption and sustainability in a broader sense. The concept is based on ”technological innovation” - ”local traditions” and ”genius logi” - the spirit of the place, the qualities of the site.
THE CONCEPT The building must in its architecture and functionality reflect both the Vietnamese tradition while having a strong and unmistakable Danish identity. The concept includes also the possibility of a 9 storey building in close proximity to the project. The two buildings will together provide a particularly spacious dynamic that can bring new architectural qualities to the site. The main concept of the building is a large â€?floatingâ€? and shady roof, which binds the two main 2 storey buildingvolumes into a simple and elegant whole. The roof creates a large covered outdoor space that acts as a multifunctional arrival and activity area. The roof also serves as effective shading to the primary building volumes, which requires mechanical cooling. The two primary building volumes are oriented and positioned so that the wind from the south can pass between them, thus creating a natural cooling in the arrival area. This, combined with the shady roof creates a pleasant climatezone to those activities that do not necessarily require mechanical cooling. The building is placed in Quang Trung Software Park - a 45-minute drive from Ho Chi Minh Cityâ€™s bustling center in beautiful green surroundings with large shade trees as a special quality. The area is characterized by a dynamic development, research and teaching environment. The building is based on both active and passive measures to ensure an extremely low energy consumtion level.
The shady roof, optimal position relative to the sun and wind, and of course properly sized insulation is primary passive initiatives. Windows and workplaces are wherever possible placed to the optimal use of natural lighting. The old large trees on the property is also part of the overall energy concept. The large roof also serves as one of the primary active resources, since it is covered with solar cells. By creating differentiated climatic zones in the house, minimizes the premises that require mechanical cooling. A cooling which of course must be ensured through the most energy efficient ventilation and cooling technologies. The possibility of cooling with forexample river water is also examined. In relation to materiality and construction practices, it is desired to greatly build on local practices and technologies, but of course with Danish quality and design as a strong anchorage.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS BUILDING ORIENTATION north
The building orientation is based on a study of traditional vietnamese architecture. The reason for this was that it was very difficult to protect the building from the sun to the east and west rather than towards the north and south. This is also the reason why the window openings in the building is oriented towards the north and south.
Wind conditions in ho Chi Min City
max. wind load south summersun
avg. wind load
CLIMATIC ZONES The stationary functions are isolated in their own climate zone with active cooling. This isolated climate zone will have higly insulated wallls and windows. This will result in a lowered temperature and better working environment in the zones of the building which are used for teaching. EXTERNAL CLIMATE Blinds and a secondary roof is used to protect the building from the solar rays and overheating. The angles of the sun is used to construct the blinds which result in an optimized shading climatic screen. The wind from t he south is used as a natural ventilation for the parts of the bulding, such as the atrium hall, which do not need to be cooled down mechanically. ADDING PASSIVE MEANS Solar planels is added to the roof to power the technical fixtures and the buildings electrical use in all.
THE POTENTIAL FOR MATERIAL SUPPLIERS AND MANUFACTURERS A SAMPLE OF THE MANY POSSIBILITIES FOR MATERIAL SOLUTIONS
• Lammelae that screen the sun and shadows • Building parts that have great architectural value and create identity • Intelligent building parts that are activated according to the position of the sun • Building part with dimensions that create optimal natural ventilation
“The Danish Active House not only illustrates the future of building, but to just as great a degree the possibilities of renovating existing buildings.”
• Effective and architecturally handsome flooring
- General Director of the Danish Active House, René Martin Larsen
• Flooring with well-thought-out details based on Nordic design
• Well-thought-out roofing systems with integrated technique and optimal acoustics
• Complete roofing solutions in waterproof and effective solutions • Energy systems that utilise the sun’s energy for electricity, water, heating and cooling • Complete drainage systems that dewater in a sustainably optimal manner
• Façade coverings with variations and low operation costs • Façade systems with high insulation ability and integrated energy solutions • Windows and doors with high insulation ability • Glass and aluminium systems with high architectural value
North • Inventory with innovate design and well-thought-out functionality
• Energy-efficient ventilation systems • Intelligent cooling systems
• Mobile walls that create that multi-functionality • Light fixtures with effective energy savings and optimal utilization possibilities
WHAT DOES YOUR COMPANY GAIN FROM BECOMING A PARTNER IN THE PROJECT? THE DANISH ACTIVE HOUSE IN VIETNAM NEEDS SUPPORT FROM DANISH COMPANIES IN ORDER TO:
ARE YOU IN NEED OF A BASE, OR LOGISTIC HELP, FOR A MARKET PROMOTION IN VIETNAM AND SOUTHEAST ASIA?
• Create a sustainable economic foundation of establishing a Danish showcase for energy- • Then your company can draw on first class optimised constructional solutions in Vietnam, as conference-, meeting- and office facilities in The well as ensuring that The Danish Active House in Danish Active House in Vietnam and The Institute Vietnam becomes a comprehensive showcase for of Tomorrow’s Knowledge is available with the best Danish sustainable building solutions in assistance in order to ensure that all practical energy optimization of design, construction, matters run smoothly. operation and maintenance. DO YOU WISH TO BE A PART OF THE HISTORY IS YOUR COMPANY GOING TO BE PART OF THE (SHOWCASE) OF OPTIMAL DANISH TOTAL DANISH SHOWCASE IN VIETNAM? SOLUTIONS FOR SUSTAINABILITY AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN CONSTRUCTION? • If your company develops, produces or sells materials/equipment that is a part of the best • Then your participation in The Danish Active Danish sustainably optimised building solutions, House in Vietnam will make the company a part The Danish Active House in Vietnam can offer of the history presented to all Vietnamese actors you a range of benefits, if the company makes a in the building industry through the function of sponsor- or supplier agreement with the project. the active house as a showcase. The project’s Vietnamese partner, ECC, is the national agency DOYOUWANTPROFILINGOFTHECOMPANYANDSELECT for energy information and hosts annual events PRODUCTS IN VIETNAM AND SOUTHEAST ASIA? for several thousand actors from both the • Then we offer usage of the permanent showroom private and public sector. The active house will area in The Danish Active House in Vietnam for your be a living showcase – and the construction of presentation of the company and the chosen the house will be a red thread in the educations products. The showroom is used as an active part and lectures performed by the Institute of of the training lectures performed by The Institute Tomorrow’s Knowledge. of Tomorrow’s Knowledge.
DO YOU WISH TO BE A PART OF THE INDUSTRY’S MOST DYNAMIC PROFESSIONAL NETWORK IN VIETNAM?
DO YOU NEED A PARTNER FOR LECTURE DEVELOPMENT, LECTURE COMPLETION OR RESEARCH/KNOWLEDGE DEVELOPMENT IN SOUTHEAST ASIA?
• Then support for The Danish Active House in Vietnam will automatically prompt a membership • Then the Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge for your company in the Need2Know network. (among others, with University College Nothern Along with the project partners, UCN invests Denmark and University of Architecture of Ho Chi extensively in creating the industry’s most Minh City as support) can offer the framework dynamic and professionally respected network and assistance to develop and complete companyfor expertise in sustainable and energy- or product specific training for your employees optimised construction in Vietnam and Southeast or partners in Southeast Asia – with Danish Asia. The network is closely integrated with, Active House in Vietnam as a platform. We also among others, Green Building Club in Vietnam perform Ph.D. research courses in connection to and the innovative professional network the project, with own researchers focusing on Sustainovation in Denmark. energy optimisation – and are more than willing to cooperate with your company in regards to DO YOU NEED ACCESS TO THE INDUSTRY’S new knowledge in the area. LEADERS AND DECISION MAKERS? • Then we offer members of Need2Know the possibility of providing posts and presentations to the network’s participants, as well as additional possibilities in/through the connected networks in Vietnam and Denmark (Green Building Club, BIM Vietnam, Sustainovation)
FACTS ABOUT VIETNAM • 92.5 million inhabitants – of these 1/3 percentage more than in Denmark are younger than 30 years. • Market in growth: 5-8% annual BNP growth since 2008 – in spite of the financial crisis. Ho Chi Minh City
• Ambitious national ”Green Growth” strategy and 2020 goals commenced. • DANIDA country of focus for the development of Danish professional cooperation. • Natural intermediary for servicing the next Asian tiger economies: Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. • Member of ASEAN – the most important trade and cooperating organisation for Southeast Asia.
INSTITUTE OF TOMORROW’S KNOWLEDGE Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge is an following 5 years. The Danish Active House will education- and knowledge centre for process- provide the future framework for the centre and efficient and sustainble building. The institute is will, in addition to offices and service facilities, run through a Danish-Vietnamese cooperation also include four flexible teaching areas with a c onc er ned wit h t r ans f er r ing Danish total capacity of ca. 100 students. The partners competencies to Vietnam and the development of the agreement of the education- and of new competencies through international knowledge centre, Institute of Tomorrow’s research projects. The centre, which offers Knowledge, are: graduate- and post-graduate education as well • Energy Conservation Center, Ho Chi Minh City, as consultant assistance, works in a goalVietnam oriented manner with BIM-process as well as sustainable and energy-efficient building. • University College Northern Denmark, Aalborg The target group is consultants, building- and operation developers with a technical background in architecture or engineering. In the future, The Insitute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge aims to educate 1.500 students annually and have an expected growth of 30% annually in the
C 68 / M 0 / Y 100 / K 24 K 100
• Kærsgaard and Andersen Architects and Engineers A/S, Aalborg, Denmark Furthermore, The Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge cooperates with leading knowledge environments of construction in Vietnam, including Ho Chi Minh City University of Architecture.
WHERE CAN YOU FIND MORE INFORMATION? If you can see the possibilities in this project for your company, please contact one of the persons listed below: DENMARK:
Jakob Thiel Architecht Studio Manager Tel. +45 25 46 47 39 | email@example.com
Rene Martin larsen General Director Tel. 0166 241 0164 | firstname.lastname@example.org C 68 / M 0 / Y 100 / K 24 K 100
Dorte Marie Frilund Grøn Consultant in sustainable buildings Tel. +45 72 69 16 94 | email@example.com In the following the process of participation is described: Info meeting with KAAI and UCN in Denmark
Discussing the integration of product/material in the project
Final agreement on integration and indication of participation
Meeting with partners in Denmark
Meeting with partners in Vietnam
Realising the project
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Facebook: Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge LINKEDIN: The Danish Active House - Institute of Tomorrow’s Knowledge Newsletter: SIGN UP AT DMM@UCNACT2LEARN.DK
Published on Mar 14, 2014
This is a presentation of the new danish-vietnamese building project in HCMC. Many partners involved here of University College Nordjylland...