Page 1




ROANOKE COUNTY Community Development 5204 Bernard Dr. P.O. Box 29800 Roanoke. VA 24018 Phone: 540-772-2065 Fax: 540-772-2108

WHAT IS A BUILDING PERMIT? A building permit is a license that grants legal permission to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, or demolish a building or structure. Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code requires all dwellings being constructed to have a valid building permit. Permits and inspections are necessary to verify that local building and fire code standards are met and provide a permanent record of construction for the building. If not, the public's health, safety and welfare are at risk. If you hire a professional contractor to do the work, select a builder who is familiar with local building codes. The codes apply whether a professional or a doit-yourselfer does the job. Your home is your biggest financial investment. Construction mistakes can be exasperation, costly and in some cases deadly. Permits empower you to get safe quality workmanship and avoid problems down the line. When selling a home you are required to disclose all remodeling work and whether or not permits were obtained. With permits and inspections, you can expect a smoother closing process, free of lastminute hassles, inspections and repair work if the home isn’t up to code. Most people realize new buildings, additions to existing structures, renovations, demolitions, temporary buildings and fireplace installations usually require building permits and inspections. Permits are also required for installation of swimming pools and decks. In addition to building permits, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits are required before each trade begins.

Many problems can be avoided by contacting the Roanoke County Building Department before you begin a home or commercial remodeling or renovation project. Building department officials can tell you what type of projects require building permits and inspections, which ones don't, and even offer advice in completing the job safely. WHAT JOBS NEED A BUILDING PERMIT? All of the following items are examples requiring building permits. Construction of new structures Additions to existing structures Removal or addition of interior wall partitions. Finishing any unfinished space. (attic, basement, etc) Enclosing a porch or carport Demolition of any building or part of a building Repair of any structural elements. (wall studs, columns, piers, footings, foundations, floor joists, rafters, beams, etc.) Physical relocation of any building from one location to another Decks or associated steps Chimneys Storage buildings (over 150 sq. ft.) Tents (over 900 sq. ft.) Retaining walls (over 2 ft.) Swimming pools (holds over 5000 gal. of water or over 24” in depth) Building permits are not required for ordinary repairs, which include… Painting Replacement of doors, windows (same size) roofing, siding or gutters. Installation of cabinets in residential buildings

Repair of plaster, tile, and other interior wall surfaces Storage sheds (under 150 sq. ft. but zoning approval is required) Repair or replacement of deck or porch flooring (not to include supporting floor joists) Fences, driveways and sidewalks Barn renovations Repair or replacing interior wall coverings (drywall, plaster, paneling, etc.) These are just a few examples. If you have any questions, please call the building department. (540-7722065)

DO I NEED OTHER PERMITS? Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits are required for installation, replacement, modification or repair of electrical, plumbing, or mechanical fixtures or equipment. These permits may be obtained in connection with a structural building permit provided each trade contractor working is listed at the time the permit is obtained or obtained on a separate permit. The following are examples of activities requiring electrical, plumbing, or mechanical permits. Replacement of water heaters or furnace (if either is gas or oil or different type) Installing a new air conditioning system (no existing system in place) Addition or modification of electrical circuits (breaker panels, service upgrade, or change, new or replace wiring, over-current device, panel board etc.) Installation or replacement of HVAC equipment, gas piping or fixtures and new ductwork in existing home.

Repair or replacing fuel fired appliance vent or chimney. Repair or replacement of main drain lines Installing a lawn irrigation system for the backflow device. Examples of activities typically not requiring trade permits. Simple replacement of light switches or receptacles. Any equipment or wiring which operates at less than 50 volts. Replacement of fuses or circuit breakers with similar type Replacement of light fixtures with similar type Repair of HVAC equipment when motor changes are not involved Repair or replacement of plumbing fixtures or fittings. Repair or replacement of plumbing drain lines between fixture and the main interior drain collector lines

WHO CAN GET A PERMIT? Permits can be issued to‌ 1. The owner, if shown on the county's real estate records as the owner, or with proof of ownership, e.g. deed land sales con tract, or receipt from Clerk of Circuit Court's office showing the deed has been recorded.

2. The licensed Class A, Class B or Class C contractor (Provided he is licensed for the trade of the permit he is pulling). 3. The agent of the owner with written authorization from the owner. HOW DO I GET A PERMIT? The Roanoke County Community Development Department is located at 5204 Bernard Drive in the Roanoke County Administration Center on the second floor. Permits are issued daily Monday through Friday from 8:00am until 4:00pm. The time to pull your permit is before work starts. An application for a permit will need to be completed. The permit application will require basic information about the project, such as the job location, who will perform the work, what work will be done, and how the work will be done. The application may also ask you to submit sketches, plans or other documentation for review. Review for residential jobs could take up to 5 days for approval. Commercial job reviews may vary. If the construction plans do not comply with code, zoning and other related ordinances, a code official can help you adjust your plan to meet the requirements for a permit. CAN MY PERMIT BE REFUSED? The building official may refuse to issue a

permit until the applicant has provided certificates of functional design approval, and/ or until all requirements for approval are met. WHEN CAN A PERMIT BE REVOKED? The building official may revoke a permit only in the case of false statement or misrepresentation. WHEN CAN A PERMIT BE SUSPENDED? The permit can be suspended if there has been no work on the site for a period of six months. The building official may grant extensions up to six months. DOES MY PERMIT EXPIRE? A permit will expire after 6 months with no work. Each inspection called in and passed will renew the expiration date for another 6 months. HOW MUCH WILL MY PERMIT COST? 1. Building permit fees for new construction, additions, detached garages, carports or storage buildings are calculated on a square footage basis. 2. Demolitions and alterations are based on the estimated cost of construction. 3. Electrical, mechanical and plumbing permit fees are calculated by a percentage factor of the building cost based on the sq. footage given on the building permit for commercial jobs only. Most residential building permits include the electrical, mechanical and plumbing fees are included in the building permit. If the permit for electrical, mechanical or plumbing are not connected to a building permit the cost is calculated from the estimated cost of the job.


Do I need a permit for ______? A guide to types of permits issued in Roanoke County, Roanoke, VA

Read more
Read more
Similar to
Popular now
Just for you