Page 68

In 1981, then-Pennsylvania Gov. Dick Thornburgh appointed him to the appeals court bench, and he was later elected to a 10-year term. Judge McEwen sat on the Superior Court bench for more than 30 years, serving as president judge for five of those years. He retired in 2012. Judge McEwen was remembered for his kindness, intelligence and sense of humor. He was fond of history, particularly American history, and once spearheaded an effort for the Superior Court to make arguments in Independence Hall. Judge McEwen is survived by his wife of 62 years, Marguerite; twin daughters Mary Anne and Maureen; and seven grandchildren.


Roger Young L’61, who had an illustrious career as an FBI special agent, died March 30. He was 85. Mr. Young was born in Massachusetts but grew up in the Philadelphia area. He was a graduate of Lower Merion High School and Dartmouth College. After college, he served as a U.S. Air Force navigator for three years before enrolling in Penn Law. Just weeks after graduating from law school, Mr. Young fulfilled his lifelong dream of joining the Federal Bureau of Investigation as a special agent. He was first stationed in North Carolina, where he married and began a family. Then he moved to New York, where he was involved in the 1975 investigation of FALN, a Puerto Rican terrorist organization. The FBI transferred Mr. Young to Phoenix, where he was the assistant agent in charge. His office investigated the 1976 bombing death of an investigative newspaper reporter from the Arizona Republic. From 1978 to 1980, he was the special agent in charge at the FBI’s San Diego office. He led investigations into the crash of Pacific


Southwest Airlines Flight 182 into a neighborhood and the murder of two El Centro FBI agents. He became the FBI’s chief spokesman in 1980, and a year later, was promoted to assistant director for the Office of Congressional and Public Affairs. He spoke on behalf of the FBI in high-profile cases including the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan. In 1984, Mr. Young retired from the FBI and returned to San Diego, where he was executive director of the San Diego Crime Commission until 1988. Then he moved to Omaha and served as Union Pacific’s chief of police, and in 1994, moved back to San Diego and worked as a consultant and with charities. His favorite charity was the San Diego Nice Guys, which helps families in difficult financial situations. Mr. Young loved playing tennis and was known as a warm, generous, and intelligent man. He is survived by his wife, Teresa; children Curt, Tim, Krista and Elicia; their mother, Dorothy; stepsons Jaryd, Brandon and Tyson; 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

P E N N L AW J O U R N A L W I N T E R 2 0 1 8

Roger Young L’61

Arthur “Art” Jacobs L’66, who prac-

ticed law for five decades, died July 14. He was 77. Mr. Jacobs grew up in the Bayside area of Queens, New York. After graduating from Penn Law, he worked as a tax attorney for the government of Washington, D.C. He then moved to California, where he was a corporate attorney for Dole, and subsequently to the Bay Area, where he met his future wife, Joy. Thirty years ago, Mr. Jacobs and his family moved to Monterey, Calif., where he took up golfing. He enjoyed admiring nature on the courses, telling stories with his friends and teaching his grandchildren how to play the sport. Mr. Jacobs practiced law for 50 years and throughout his career, loved helping others, especially those in great need. He was remembered as “a true character” who was funny, wise, and loving. Mr. Jacobs is survived by Joy, his wife of 40 years; children Jon, Jen and Jordana; grandchildren Matthew, Joel, Sierra, Ben and Brody; and his two dogs, Charlie and Frankie.

Just weeks after graduating from law school, Mr. Young fulfilled his lifelong dream of joining the Federal Bureau of Investigation as a special agent.

Profile for Penn Law

Penn Law Journal Winter 2018  

Penn Law Journal Winter 2018