Above: Bill Jones BEM AFSM. Top Right: The original Moorooduc Fire Station. Right: The current Moorooduc Fire Station, built on the site of the Tin Hall.
1944). Then it was reported: “The Association has decided to hold a monthly entertainment to build up a fund for the purpose of building a public hall for the district,” (Ibid. 30 November, 1944.) Surely there wasn't going to be a third hall in Moorooduc? This possibility was negated when, on the death of the owner, it was decided at a public meeting, held in January 1945 and sponsored by the Progress Association, to purchase the Brick Hall which was still being leased for public entertainment. The district was canvassed to raise funds so that the Progress Association could make the purchase. This was achieved during 1945 when it was reported that, after paying 300 pounds for the hall, the Association still had a credit balance of 145 pounds. Trustees were empowered to make the necessary arrangements for the erection of a supper room and the installation of electric light. (Ibid. 18 October, 1945.) Flushed with their success, the Moorooduc Progress Association attempted to re-badge the Brick Hall: “...a very successful dance, under the auspices of the Progress Association, was conducted in the Progress Hall...” (Ibid. 31 July, 1947.) To the locals it remained the Brick Hall. In the years following the purchase of the hall funds were raised by the Progress Association, the Entertainment Committee, and the Gymkhana Society; a new floor was installed, a kitchen and storage shed built, rooms were renovated, and the hall was repainted. Then, after a number of false starts permission for extensions was obtained and a public canvass of the district met with a very generous response. Work commenced in July, 1961 and it was believed that
the enlarged building with the addition of stage and dressing rooms would fill a need in the district by providing an entertainment centre for young people. In November, 1961 a gala ball was held to mark the opening of the “...new and splendidly equipped Moorooduc Hall.” (Ibid. 8 November, 1961.) Moorooduc today The 1st Moorooduc Scout Troop, which was established in 1952, held their meetings in the Tin Hall until they went into recess in 1968. Then, after the final church service in 1969, the Tin Hall was not used for over 20 years. Although the building itself was somewhat dilapidated, the grounds were kept tidy by members of the Jones family who still owned the adjacent property. In 1991 the Tin Hall was sold to the Country Fire Authority. It was demolished and an impressive new fire station, large enough to house three vehicles, was constructed. This would seem an appropriate outcome as the Jones family, who originally donated the block to the Progress Association, have been heavily involved in the 70 odd years of the history of the Moorooduc Fire Brigade. Bill and Bette Jones, both now deceased, were instrumental in the establishment of the brigade. They donated the land to house the brigade vehicle in a Nissen hut and converted the first tanker from an ex-army vehicle in the 1950's. In 1968 a base radio was installed on the Jones' Derril Road property. Bill was awarded the B.E.M. and the A.F.S.M. (Australian Fire Services Medal) and Bette continued next page...
E ssence | 85
Peninsula Essence Current Issue