Issuu on Google+

PORT ANGELES’ 150th anniversary

A commemorative publication of the Peninsula Daily News, produced by the Advertising Department

Celebrating the Port Angeles community, 1862 to 2012 Inside find: • Heritage Days schedule of events • Historic photos • A look back at some of the year’s sesquicentennial events • Elwha Dam removal details • Information about 150th anniversary products and MORE!


2

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

Happy 150th anniversary Port Angeles!

w hat an honor it is to help plan and participate

in the 150th anniversary celebration of our beautiful city, Port Angeles. We have such a rich and colorful history here, and so much to celebrate. The lovely secret harbor framing a forest at the foot of the Olympic Mountains changed forever in 1791. That’s when a Spanish explorer, Lt. Francisco de Eliza, sailed by and marveled at the beauty of our natural harbor. He named this amazing place “Puerto de Nuestra Señora de los Angeles” ­— Port of Our Lady of the Angels. He made the first written note of our location. Until then, generations of Native Americans had moved quietly along the beaches, unknown to the rest of the expanding American explorers and pioneers. Victor Smith, the founder of Port Angeles, used his relationship with President Abraham Lincoln to become appointed collector of U.S. Customs of the Puget Sound. He moved the Port of Entry from Port Townsend to Port Angeles. His influence also resulted in an executive order on June 19, 1862, setting aside the famed reservation “for lighthouse, military and naval reserve and other public purposes.” Also on June 19, 1862, the United States Post Office stamped the first official Port Angeles, Washington, imprint. We were official. We were declared the Second National City. We were off and running. In the 1880s, a charismatic lawyer, George Venable Smith, organized a cooperative colony, promising “free land, water and light” and “equal pay for women.” By 1890, the colony had a working lumber mill, a shipyard and a dairy herd. It built a hotel, church, school, an opera house and a dairy while advertising nationally for settlers. When the cooperative colony failed, the town incorporated, became the county seat and became a more traditional town heavily dependent on lumber mills. It employed one of every 10 residents. We established the Port Angeles city government

and settled down to grow our town. The Clallam County Courthouse was built in 1914, the Carnegie Library in 1919 and the new art deco City Hall, Fire Hall, Police Station civic building in 1931. We had electricity, new indoor toilets and paved our streets for those newfangled automobiles — we were on the move! People came here with a dream, a plan or a goal to build a better life. The strong spirit of cooperation of neighbor helping neighbor was necessary to build the town in the beginning, and that spirit remains the foundation of Port Angeles to this day. The pioneer spirit of philanthropy and stewardship is everywhere you look in our beautiful town. Our civic clubs, churches, schools and volunteer committees take pride in keeping our town unique from anywhere else. As we enjoy the amazing beauty surrounding us, we can’t pick up litter, plant trees, build a park for the children or raise money for scholarships without sharing the pioneer spirit of giving. These qualities attract newcomers who bring their own unique talents to add to all of us through the arts, business, education or volunteer work. We are a melting pot of good will, grateful hearts and a forward vision. Congratulations, Port Angeles! Our pioneer spirit is alive and well as we head into the next 150 years together — neighbors one and all. What a great home town we have. Thanks to our terrific Sesquicentennial Committee members and sponsors as we have fun with and celebrate our very own colorful history. History is fun ­— especially ours! Join us in our celebration and discover what a fun town this is! Sincerely, Cherie Kidd Port Angeles Mayor Sesquicentennial co-chair

2012 Port Angeles City Council

^ The 2012 Port Angeles City Council, pictured left to right, council members Max Mania, Sissi P. Bruch and Brooke Nelson; Mayor Cherie Kidd, council member Patrick Downie, Deputy Mayor Brad Collins and council member Dan Di Guilio.

The seven-member City Council is elected at large and serves four-year terms. The council elects a mayor and deputy mayor from the council to serve two-year terms. The council holds regular meetings on the first and third Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. in the City Council Chambers at City Hall. Public hearings are scheduled to commence at 6:30 p.m., or soon thereafter. Council also meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 5 p.m. for work sessions. Regular meetings and work sessions are open to the public. City Council Chambers are inside City Hall at 321 E. Fifth St. in Port Angeles.

Port Angeles 150th Anniversary Special Section is published by Peninsula Daily News Main office: 305 W. First St. Port Angeles, WA 98362 800-826-7714 John C. Brewer publisher and editor Steve Perry advertising director Brenda Hanrahan, Jennifer Veneklasen special section editors Photos provided by members of the Port Angeles Sesquicentennial Committee, Clallam County Historical Society, Brown’s Outdoor, Russ Veenema of the Port Angeles Regional Chamber of Commerce, whose 2012 marketing tag line is “Port Angeles: The Authentic Northwest,” and Peninsula Daily News photographers.

ON THE COVER 1

2

3

4

5

1: Merchants Hotel, which was located on the corner of Front and Laurel streets. Photo circa 1915. 2: Port Angeles Opera House, circa 1900. 3: Street scene: Downtown Port Angeles on Front Street, circa 1915. 4: The Clallam County Courthouse in 2012. 5: Port Angeles Harbor and the Olympic Mountains.


2

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

3

How Port Angeles was founded, a little history lesson

s

ince it was officially established as the location of the Customs House in 1861, Port Angeles has had a long and colorful history. Don Francisco de Eliza discovered the deepwater harbor in 1791. But its history started long before that when the Lower Elwha Klallam tribe used what is now called Hollywood Beach as a fishing village. This site is now frontage for the Waterfront Trail and City Pier. All trade in and out of Port Angeles came through the harbor, and today the Port of Port Angeles still maintains a vigorous harbor which is vital to the economy. Port Angeles was established as a townsite by President Abraham Lincoln in 1862 by executive order. The Board of Trade in 1890 called Port Angeles the “Second National City,” Washington, D.C., being the first. Most of the land was held as a military reserve until pioneers “jumped the reserve” in 1890 and Congress agreed to the sale of lots in 1894. The forest and fishing industries played major roles in the boom and bust economy of Port Angeles. Trees of mammoth proportions were shipped through the port as forests around Port Angeles supplied the building materials for Seattle, San Francisco and beyond. Salmon was king of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and plentiful for all to fish. Both industries have slowed as concerns over habitat for bird and salmon are analyzed and protective zones and regulations have been developed. In 1908, President Theodore Roosevelt

established the Mount Olympus National Monument. Olympic National Park was established in 1938 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Over the years generations of tourists and travelers have come to the Olympics for rest and rejuvenation. Learn more by visiting the Clallam County Museum displays in the Federal Building at First and Oak streets, the restored Museum at the Carnegie on

Congratulations Port Angeles on

Port Angeles Sesquicentennial 150 & Counting! HUZZAH!

4

Lincoln Steet, or take a guided Heritage Walking Tour which runs Monday to Saturday year round. The community also has historical murals in the downtown. For more details: phone the Museum at the Carnegie at 360-452-2662 or visit clallamhistoricalsociety.com. For Heritage Tour reservations, phone 360-452-2363. — Port Angeles Regional Chamber of Commerce

150 Years!

Olympic Laundry is the oldest operating laundry and dry cleaning service on the Olympic Peninsula, owned & operated by the White Family since 1924.

HAPPY 150th PORT ANGELES

Your friends from the

360-457-7004 SW corner of 7th & Peabody

RECREATION

Check us out at: www.portangelesseniorcenter.com

29667446

328 E. 7th St, Port Angeles, WA

418. S. Lincoln • Port Angeles

457-3315

29667862

29665875

Port Angeles Senior Center


4

SEPTEMBER 2012

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

State officially designates Port Angeles historical district

Taking a look back...

port Angeles is officially historic.

In a nod to the city’s past, the state Advisory Council on Historic Preservation approved the creation of the Port Angeles Civic Historical District on March 16, 2011. The district includes three buildings on Lincoln Street: the Museum at the Carnegie, the original Clallam County Courthouse and, in between them, the building that once acted as the city’s fire hall, jail and council chambers. The state recommended that the district be added to the National Register of Historic Places, which it was. “It’s one of the happiest days of my life,” said then City Councilwoman Cherie Kidd, who has championed the idea of a historic district since before she was elected more than three years ago. Kidd, who is now mayor, attended the advisory council’s meeting in Olympia with then City Manager Kent Myers and city archaeologist Derek Berry. “I just felt that I represented all the people who worked for so many years to create a beautiful civic center for Port Angeles,” she said. County Commissioner Mike Doherty also has been a strong promoter of the district’s creation. Without the historic district designation, neither the former fire hall, built in

^ PHOTO PROVIDED BY CLALLAM COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

This photo shows a funeral possession through downtown Port Angeles. Ed Phelps, a Grand Army of the Republic member and prominent citizen, died in an accident on July 19, 1895. J.E. Thomas, a photographer at the time, took this photo as the procession went by his studio. The procession started at Phelps’ home, proceeded to the opera house where the services were conducted and then traveled to Ocean View Cemetery.

1931, nor the Carnegie, which was the city’s first library, could be listed as historical buildings because their interiors have been altered. The courthouse is already listed as a historical building. County Administrator Jim Jones said the county supported the effort to form the district in order to get the other two buildings on the register and because the former fire hall would be an ideal location for the county’s Veterans Center, now located at 261 S. Francis St. “It makes a lot of sense that if we’re going to honor our past and keep these buildings in such a manner for all time for their historical significance, this is the way to do it,” he said. There are no immediate plans to relocate the center to the former fire hall, which sits next to Veterans Memorial Park. The building is known to be in need of extensive repairs. A $40,000 study to determine just how much needs to be done is under way. The city contributed $25,000, with the rest coming from the county. State grant money can be used to repair the building because it’s now on the state’s historical register. — Peninsula Daily News

Come and Try the Port Angeles

150th Year Celebration Ale

A F R I E N D LY P L A C E LOCAL BREWERY SINCE 2005 Try our Wandafuca Gold, Train Wrecked IPA, Ed’s Big Red, Mt. Pleasant Porter, Peaks LSB, & Dungeness Spit Pale Ale 28663999

Growlers & Beers to Go Expanded Menu & Ed’s Killer Chili

452-2802 NOON DAILY 29667238

Find us on Facebook at Peaks Brew Pub 130 S. Lincoln St. (3 blocks up from ferry)

PORT ANGELES SESQUICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE Members of the Port Angeles Sesquicentennial Committee have been busy the last year planning and presenting a variety of activities. Committee members: n Jeri Bawden n Jon Didrickson n Barb Frederick n Sandy Keys n Kathy Monds n Johnnie Montice n Joseph Neves n Lee Porterfield n Bob Stepp n Richard Stephens n Janet Young Co-chairs: n Cherie Kidd n Alice Donnelly


AL

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

celebrating the sesquicentennial

Building a time capsule to be opened in 2062

s

anniversary publication n Coho deck of playing cards n Cellphone n 2012 proof coins n Olympic National Park quarters n Port Angeles photos n Eyeglasses n Olympic National Park mission statement n Photo of new park superintendent n A presidential ballot n Visitors map n Olympic National Park trail map n Aerial photo of Lake Mills n Citizens of the Year information n Newcomers Guide n “Best of the Peninsula” insert from PDN n Copy of weekly KONP schedule n Photo of Port Angeles City Council n City budget n City comprehensive plan n Photos of Eighth Street bridges being replaced n Port Angeles Senior Center Newsletter n Aerial photos of Port Angeles n Photo of Clallam

County commissioners n Presidential election ballot n Photo of Port of Port Angeles commissioners n Olympic Medical Center Living Well magazine n Port Angeles School District organizational chart n Statistics including number of schools, students etc. n Students’ essays on “What Port Angeles Will be Like in 50 Years” n Students’ artwork on “What Port Angeles will look like in 50 Years” n Peninsula College catalog of classes, fall 2012 n Brochure on Peninsula College’s 50th Anniversary n College statistics n Shane Park fundraising for playground equipment n Community Players, PALOA, Port Angeles Fine Arts Center posters n Item from Port Angels Fire Department n Post office commemorative stamps n Forever stamp

5

Taking a look back...

^ PHOTO PROVIDED BY BROWN’S OUTDOOR

This photo of Brown’s Outdoor, 112 W. Front St., from around 1979 shows a slightly different storefront than the downtown store features today. Four generations of Browns have operated the store, which offers a full line of outdoor gear. And the young fifth generation is currently in training at the store.

— Peninsula Daily News

Bedford’s Premium Sodas

Bedford’s sodas have been a Pacific Northwest tradition for nearly 30 years. Handcrafted and known for outstanding flavor. Bedford’s is now available from coast to coast and considered a fine example of a regional soda made with care and quality ingredients.

CELEBRATING COMMUNITY Contact the Y to see what else is happening this fall right here in Port Angeles.

OLYMPIC PENINSULA YMCA 302 S. Francis Port Angeles, WA 98362 360-452-9244

w w w. o l y m p i c p e n i n s u l a y m c a . o rg

29668240

29666933

esquicentennial committee members are gathering items for a time capsule that will be burried sometime in December. Committee members are leaving instructions that the time capsule should be opened sometime in 2062. Items to be included in the time capsule will be donated by a variety of Port Angeles governmental agencies and businesses including the city of Port Angeles, the Port Angeles Fire Department, the Port Angeles School District, Peninsula Daily News, KONP, U.S. Postal Service, Olympic National Park, Clallam County departments and more. Items to be included: n Letter of introduction and explanation: Who assembled capsule, contents, overview of Port Angeles n Sesquicentennial proclamation from City n Telephone book n Coins donated by Port Angeles Coin Club n Sesquicentennial commemorative coins n Sesquicentennial T-shirt n Sesquicentennial Root Beer bottle n Sesquicentennial lapel pin n Sesquicentennial envelopes n Sesquicentennial quilt information n 1962 Peninsula Daily News centennial insert n MV Coho 50th

SEPTEMBER 2012


6

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

celebrating the sesquicentennial

Port Angeles ‘sesquicentennial baby’ a celebrity

m elania Christine Burke was the first Port Angeles baby born in 2012,

and as Port Angeles’ “sesquicentennial baby,” is being feted all year, said Cherie Kidd, Port Angeles’ mayor and sesquicentennial committee member. “She will be our celebrity baby,” Kidd said. Melania was born to Rebecca and James Burke of Port Angeles at 10 p.m. Monday, Jan. 2, at Olympic Medical Center. The Burkes — who have two other children, Maria, then 4, and Nicholas, then 22 months — began to get an idea that their baby had special significance when the hospital staff mentioned that she was the first Port Angeles baby of the year. They didn’t learn that Melania was considered a celebrity as Port Angeles’ sesquicentennial baby until the next morning. “I think it’s pretty special that we live in a community that thinks of things like this,” Rebecca said. Kidd presented the Burkes with a $150 savings bond as well as gift certificates and gift baskets from Port Angeles businesses. Melania and her parents also participated in the Fourth of July parade and other Port Angeles events. — Peninsula Daily News > PENINSULA DAILY NEWS

Mayor Cherie Kidd, standing left, presents a basket to newborn Melania Christine Burke, Port Angeles’ “sesquicentennial baby,” and her parents, Rebecca and James Burke, and siblings Maria and Nicholas. Melania, born Jan. 2, 2012, received a $150 savings bond, gift certificates and gift baskets as part of the yearlong 150th anniversary of the founding of Port Angeles.

UNLEASHING THE ELWHA...A year later

Sun., Sept. 16, 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Join us for the anniversary of the removal of the Elwha Dams. Marvel at the transformation where the river’s watershed meets the Salish Sea.

Friday Harbor Day Trip

Sat., Sept. 22, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Last Friday Harbor Cruise of 2012 Watch for marine wildlife on our way to Friday Harbor where you’ll spend 5 hours ashore to shop, dine, visit museums, or kayak the harbor.

Reservations and Information 360/452-6210

Annual Crab Cruise!!

Sat., Oct. 13, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Come aboard for an evening of fun, friends and games! And... inquire about our delectably crabby cuisine!

Full calendar of events www.ExpeditionsNW.com “Like” us on Facebook

29664001

EARLY RESERVATIONS RECOMMENDED FOR THESE POPULAR CRUISES


Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

7

Happy 150 Anniversary Port Angeles! th

28665886

Celebrating our history, working for a shared future


8

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

celebrating the sesquicentennial

Congratulations Port Angeles!

^ PENINSULA DAILY NEWS

Girl Scouts Meadow Robinson, Hailey Robinson and Genna Birch, from left, and VFW member Norm Goodin prepare to raise an 1862-replica U.S. flag during Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary celebration.

Celebration includes musket fire, flags, stamps

more than 200 people heard muskets

Spanish explorer Francisco de Eliza. Lincoln’s order changed Puerto de Nuestra Señora de Los Angeles — Port of Our Lady of the Angels — to Port Angeles, and gave a post office that had been established in 1860 a new name, said Mayor Cherie Kidd, organizer of sesquicentennial celebrations. During the 2012 anniversary festivities, the band Ruby and Friends played such songs as “The Battle of New Orleans” and “The Battle Hymn of the Republic,” before Kidd and other speakers spoke to the crowd who stood outside the museum. Chris Morganroth told the crowd about how Native Americans interacted with the first white settlers. “We don’t want to forget who we are. We don’t want to forget who you are — and welcome to this festivity here today,” Morganroth told the crowd. Three Girl Scouts — Genna Birch, Meadow Robinson and Hailey Robinson — with assistance from men with the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1024, lowered an old U.S. flag and replaced it with a new one. Afterward a line of men with the Peninsula Long Rifle Association aimed their black-powder muskets at the blue sky and fired. The crack of the exploding powder filled the air. Afterward, the crowd filled a downstairs hallway and lower gallery, each person waiting his or her turn to buy envelopes and have them stamped. — Peninsula Daily News

Best wishes from your 104 year-old community bank on your 150th anniversary!

Port Angeles 716 Front Street Port Angeles, WA 98362 360-457-8189

www.kitsapbank.com • 800-283-5537

29664000

fire, watched a flag-raising ceremony and collected commemorative envelopes during a celebration of Port Angeles’ sesquicentennial at the Museum at the Carnegie on June 19, 2012. The event marked the anniversary of an order signed by President Abraham Lincoln that established the town as a military and naval reservation June 19, 1862. Port Angeles Mayor Cherie Kidd, dressed in an old-time black dress for the occasion, stood on the steps of the museum and addressed the crowd. “I further encourage all citizens to join in and participate in events and celebrations noting the significance of our city’s 150th anniversary all year long as the Port Angeles sesquicentennial,” Kidd said. An official post office was established at the Museum of the Carnegie from noon to 2 p.m. Port Angeles Postmaster Lisa Jones opened the office and a postal employee hand-canceled preprinted envelopes with either a special sesquicentennial stamp or a graphic noting Lincoln’s action. The hand-stamped envelopes cost $1. On June 19, 1862, Lincoln ordered a reservation for military uses and a lighthouse on Ediz Hook. His action shortened a Spanish name given the area — which had been settled for centuries by the Lower Elwha Klallam tribe — in 1791 by


Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

9

celebrating the sesquicentennial

Ice cream social, homegrown root beer kicks off Port Angeles’ 150th birthday

p resident Abraham Lincoln ordered a reservation

^ PENINSULA DAILY NEWS

Daughters of the American Revolution members Meg Gill, left, and Kay Garrison, both of Port Angeles, dish out ice cream during a social in front of the former Port Angeles fire hall on June 16, 2012, during festivities for the sesquicentennial celebration of the founding of Port Angeles.

FUN FACT: Geographically, the North Olympic Peninsula of Washington state is a spiny circle of mountains around a central peak that soars to 8,000 feet. The two counties of the Peninsula — Jefferson and Clallam ­— are bounded on three sides by water: the Pacific Ocean on the west, the Strait of Juan de Fuca on the north and Admiralty Inlet and Hood Canal on the east. Between the water and the mountains (which nearly all lie inside the Olympic National Forest and Park) is a fringe of privately owned land, a mere 32 percent of the two counties. — Excerpt from “A History of the North Olympic Peninsula”

WE’RE ROLLING OUT THE RED CARPET Book your next event with us by October 31, 2012 and receive a signing bonus of one complimentary night’s stay for the party planner and discounted group room rates. In addition, choose one of the following: • Complimentary butler-style hors d’oeuvres for 30 minutes • Gift certificate for a one-night stay at the Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles • 50% off of customary room rental • Hosted bottle of wine for each table Affordable facilities for everything from intimate gathering to extravagant parties. Our catering staff will take care of every detail! We guarantee quality service and satisfaction. Call today! Dates will fill quickly!

Red Lion Hotel Port Angeles 221 N. Lincoln St./ Port Angeles, WA. Catering Sales Manager Charlea Johnson: 360-417-5710

29667445

for military uses and a lighthouse on Ediz Hook, establishing Port Angeles as a townsite on June 19, 1862. Some 150 people attended a free open house and ice-cream social at the Port Angeles Civic Historic District on Lincoln Street on June 16, 2012, to celebrate the history of the town. “We’re here to celebrate the courageous, colorful characters who founded this city,” Port Angeles Mayor Cherie Kidd said. The historic district, which is recognized by the National Register of Historic Places, includes the art deco building at 215 S. Lincoln St. — which served as the city’s first permanent fire station, jail and City Council chambers — and its neighbors, the ­Clallam County Courthouse, with its historic steps leading up from Lincoln Street, and the Museum at the Carnegie at 207 S. Lincoln St., as well as Veterans Park. Ed Bedford, owner of Northwest Soda Works of Port Angeles, donated a special anniversary edition of his gourmet root beer and sponsored the icecream social. About 150 of the Port Angeles-brewed Bedford’s Gourmet Sodas root beer floats were served. Clallam County Commissioner Mike Doherty told tales of the early history of the city, including how the city became the county seat, and led tours of the old portion of the county courthouse. Initially, the county seat was at Dungeness, Doherty said, but two other communities quickly eclipsed the town: Port Crescent, a thriving logging community on Crescent Bay, and Port Angeles. After a countywide vote to determine which community was the best choice for county seat, Port Angeles won, but the city leaders in Dungeness refused to turn over the county records and documents, Doherty said. Port Angeles city leaders organized a 25-member armed recovery party, and staged a raid on Dungeness. Not a shot was fired, and the records were delivered to Port Angeles triumphantly, he said. Tours of the Carnegie were also offered. In 1791, the area, which had been long settled by the Lower Elwha Klallam tribe, was named Puerto de Nuestra Señora de Los Angeles — Port of Our Lady of the Angels — by Spanish explorer Francisco de Eliza. That name was shortened to Port Angeles when Lincoln signed the order 150 years ago establishing a post office with the Port Angeles name. — Peninsula Daily News

Terms & Conditions: Offer valid for new bookings made by October 31, 2012 for events held on/ before December 30, 2012. Minimum of 20 guests. Subject to availability.

6630/0812


10

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary Port

SEPTEMBER 2012

PORT ANGELES SESQUICENTENNIAL T-SHIRTS PORT ANGELES SESQUICENTENNIAL ROOT BEER A tasty treat that echoes back to simpler times. Enjoy a bottle of specially labeled Port Angeles sesquicentennial Bedford’s root beer. Available at a variety North Olympic Peninsula shops and restaurants, Albertsons and stores across the Northwest. Suggested retail $1.29 per bottle and up.

Show your Port Angeles pride by purchasing a special Sesquicentennial T-shirt. Available in two colors — sand and medium gray — the T-shirts feature the official 150th anniversary logo. Select from small to X-large for $16.95, 2X are $17.95 and 3X are $18.95, all plus tax. Available at Captain T’s, 116 E. Front St. in Port Angeles. $2 of the purchase price goes to the sesquicentennial fund to offset activity expenses.

Bedford’s root beer is produced by the Port Angelesbased company Northwest Soda Works. The company also produces vanilla creme beer, ginger beer and ginger ale.

Show your Port Angeles spirit Commemorative items ranging from T-shirts to root beer help locals celebrate 150 years of Port Angeles history. Find out where you can find a few products to showcase your Port Angeles spirit today!

Company owner and Port Angeles resident Ed Bedford suggests people enjoy his sodas by drinking them cold, with no ice.

Serving & Strengthening Our Serving & Strengthening Our Community Since 1923. Community Since 1923. Serving & Strengthening Our Serving & Our We’re your community bank. That simply means your Community Since 1923. Serving & Strengthening Strengthening Our decision to bank here positively affects you and We’reCommunity your community bank.Since That simply means your Since 1923. Community 1923. dramatically impacts your community.

29665883

Member FDIC

185129686

for 17 years! “Best Place to Bank” Thankfor you17foryears! voting us “Best to Bank” ThankPlace you for voting us Thank for voting us Online > 800-800-1577 > ourfirstfed.com Learn more > Open New “Best Place toAccounts Bank” foryou 17 years!

29665872

decision to bank here positively affects you and We’re your community bank. That means your dramatically impacts your simply community. decision to bank here positively affects you and We’reyour yourcommunity community bank. bank. That We’re Thatsimply simplymeans meansyour your dramatically impacts your affects community. Thank you for voting us decision to bank here positively you and decision to bank here positively affects you and “Best Place to Bank” dramatically impacts your dramatically impacts yourcommunity. community. Thank you for voting us


Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

11

PORT ANGELES SESQUICENTENNIAL ENVELOPES WITH A CARNEGIE STATION STAMP OR GRAPHIC To celebrate the date Port Angeles received its first post office — June 19, 1862, you can purchase hand-canceled preprinted envelopes with the official sesquicentennial logo or a graphic noting President Abraham Lincoln’s action of authorizing a post office for the town. The envelopes feature a special “Carnegie Station” postmark featuring the words “150 Years, June 19, 2012, Port Angeles, WA 98362, 2nd National City.” These special mementos are available for $2 each at Port Book and News, 104 E. First St. and at the Museum at the Carnegie, 207 S. Lincoln St. in Port Angeles.

SESQUICENTENNIAL COMMEMORATIVE 2012 COINS & 1962 AND 1862 COINS A commemorative sesquicentennial ring has been added to specially produced coins to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Port Angeles. 2012 Kennedy half-dollar coins are available for $10 each in a plastic envelope or for $14 each in a presentation case at the following locations: Odyssey Bookshop, 114 W. Front St.; Captain T’s, 116 E. Front St.; Port Book & News, 104 E. First St.; Port Angeles Regional Chamber of Commerce, 121 E. Railroad Ave.; and Bay Variety, 135 W. First St. A variety of outside ring colors are available including copper, purple, orange, gold, blue, charcoal gray and green. In addition, a variety of collectible coins can be special-ordered. 1962 Franklin half-dollars are available for $30 each with the commemorative ring and 1862 Liberty half dollars can be purchased for $100 each. Order forms are available at the above locations.

Serving our community for over 100 yearS Angeles Millwork & Lumber Co. was founded in 1906. Shown here around 1970.

We’ve been providing building materials to homeowners and contractors for decades for all sorts of construction, maintenance and home improvement projects.

Angeles Millwork rebuilt in 1998 after a damaging snow storm.

Just as Port Angeles has grown and evolved throughout the years, we have expanded our buildings, our product lines and our services. Now 40 employee owners and our families truly appreciate your continued support and thank you for shopping locally at our stores. Hartnagel opened in 1960 at Front & Oak.

From our earliest days through today, we’ve enjoyed serving our community and look forward to helping you and Port Angeles build for the future.

1601 S “C” St., Port Angeles

457-8581 • angelesmillwork.com

Hartnagel Building Supply expanded in 2007.

3111 Hwy 101 E, Port Angeles 452-8933 • hartnagels.com

CUSTOM CUTTING & BENDING

29667046

CUSTOM CUTTING & BENDING


12

Port Angeles’ 15

SEPTEMBER 2012

^ PHOTOS PROVIDED BY CLALLAM COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

TOP LEFT: Native American canoes along the Port Angeles waterfront circa 1895. TOP MIDDLE: Native Americans gather on Hollywood Beach, circa 1895. TOP RIGHT: First Street, circa 1940s, shows the F.W. Woolworth Co at front left, the PenPly stack in the background and the Olympian Theatre, the tall building at right. ABOVE: Children attending Old Central School, an early school in Port Angeles, enjoy a picnic in 1903. RIGHT: The U.S. Pacific Fleet in Port Angeles Harbor, circa 1930.

Celebrating the history of Port Angeles Heritage Days, held Sept. 14-16, includes opportunities to celebrate the city’s rich history

t

ake a step back in time to when Port Angeles was just starting out during Heritage Days, held at a variety of locations across Port Angeles on Friday, Sept. 14, to Sunday, Sept. 16. You can take a tour of the city’s famous underground, cruise around Port Angeles Harbor while learning about the Native Americans who paddled cedar dugout canoes along the shores of the Strait of Juan de Fuca, attend an ice-cream social, trace your family tree with local genealogists and learn about the pioneers who settled in the area. People can sign up for a tour of the historic Clallam County Courthouse clock tower and attend an allages Steam Ball featuring the band Abney Park. There will also be plenty of activities for children, including a Kids’ Carnival and a street fair. The annual festival is produced by the Port Angeles Downtown Association and the Clallam County Historical Society with help from many other local organizations. “This year’s Heritage Days is really special because it will celebrate the town’s sesquicentennial — Port Angeles’ 150th birthday,” said Alice Donnelly, sesquicentennial committee co-chair. Even if you’re not into history, there will be plenty to see and do in and around downtown. For a full schedule of Heritage Days events, see the adjacent information and schedule on Page 14. — Peninsula Daily News

schedule of event FRIDAY, SEPT. 14

HERITAGE HARBOR TOUR: Ka of the Clallam County Historical beautiful cruise to share stories a Harbor area. The cruise is from 6 8 p.m. Tickets are $25. Phone 36

SATURDAY, SEPT. 15

BELOW THE STREET FAIR: 10 between Zak’s and Coog’s Budge Front Street. Eclectic mix of art, cr KIDS’ CARNIVAL: 10 a.m. to 5 and Coog’s Budget Compact Discs inexpensive games, crafts, snacks a build a wooden boat or birdhouse. CLALLAM COUNTY GENEALOG 5 p.m. at Captain T’s/The Beanery, birthdates and family names for he finding your Civil War roots. HERITAGE HARBOR TOUR: Kat the Clallam County Historical Socie to share stories and history of the contest with prizes. The cruise is fr are $25. Phone 360-452-6210.


50th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

13

heritage days activity Chance to tour historic Clallam County Courthouse clock tower

t

ts

athy Monds, executive director Society, will come along on this and history of the Port Angeles 6:30 p.m. to 60-452-6210.

he clock in the tower of the 1914 Clallam County Courthouse was made in 1880 by the E. Howard Tower Clock Co. of Boston, Mass. In 1885, the clock and its bell were shipped around Cape Horn to Seattle, where they sat on the dock unclaimed by the purchaser. In 1914, an architect for the Clallam County Courthouse obtained the clock for use in the Port Angeles building. In 1915, local agents for the Seattle firm of Joseph Mayer & Brothers, installed the clock in the new courthouse at a cost of $5,115. The clock is located in the courthouse tower behind four ivory-colored, frosted glass faces. Each dial measures 100 inches in diameter and is electrically lighted for night viewing. The numerals are 15 inches tall, the minute hand is 46½ inches long and the hour hand is 31½ inches long. The 16-foot by 16-foot tower rises 82½ feet above Lincoln Street. A dome above the clock is supported by eight columns and features other terra cotta ornamentation. Inside the dome is a 4-foot-tall, 2,000-pound bell that strikes each halfhour and counts the hours. Originally, storage batteries powered the clock, but now electric motors suspended on chains automatically wind it. A cable from the striking mechanism passes upward about 18 feet and is attached to the clapper, which strikes the bell. At the courthouse dedication ceremony June 14, 1915, the clock read 2:25 p.m. At the cornerstone-laying cer-

emony for the new courthouse Aug. 23, 1980, the clock read 11 a.m.; its tolling interrupted the ceremony, which had started a few seconds early. Early photographs of the old courthouse show a flag flying from the top of the dome. Now the flagpole is located on the front south terraced lawn, and a terra cotta pinnacle tops the dome. To get a look at the interior of the clock and hear historical information about the courthouse, go on one of the courthouse clock tours that meets at the front Lincoln Street entrance of the building at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15, and Sunday, Sept. 16. The tours are offered by donation. — Historical information provided by Kathy Monds, executive director of the Clallam County Historical Society. < PHOTOS PROVIDED BY CLALLAM COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

a.m. to 5 p.m., parking lot et Compact Discs and Tapes on rafts, collectibles and local wares. p.m., parking lot between Zak’s s and Tapes on Front Street. Find and an activity stage. Kids can . GICAL SOCIETY: 10 a.m. to , 114 E. Front St. Free event. Bring elp building your family tree and

thy Monds, executive director of ety, will come along on this cruise Port Angeles Harbor. Costume rom 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tickets >> CONTINUED ON PAGE 14

MIDDLE LEFT: An unknown delivery driver of Angeles Cooperative Creamery poses for a photo, circa 1925. The creamery opened in 1917 and remained in operation until 1970 or so. FAR RIGHT: A boardwalk leads to the waterfront along Valley Street, photo circa 1915. The first bridges were built in Port Angeles in 1913. RIGHT: Ediz Hook Lighthouse, circa 1910. Originally constructed in 1865, the lighthouse was later replaced in 1908 by a new structure, and replaced in 1946 by an automated beacon on the United States Coast Guard air station on the end of Ediz Hook.


14

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

schedule of events

>> CONTINUED FROM PAGE 12-13

SUNDAY, SEPT. 16

BELOW THE STREET FAIR: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., parking lot between Zak’s and Coog’s Budget Compact Discs and Tapes on Front COURTHOUSE CLOCK TOWER TOUR: 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., by Street. Eclectic mix of art, crafts, collectibles and local wares. donation. Get a look at the interior of the clock and hear historical KIDS’ CARNIVAL: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., parking lot between Zak’s information about the courthouse. Meets at the front door of the and Coog’s Budget Compact Discs and Tapes on Front Street. Find old courthouse (Lincoln Street entrance). inexpensive games, crafts, snacks and an activity stage. Kids can build WEST-SIDE DRIVING TOURS OF HISTORIC HOMES: 10 a.m. a wooden boat or birdhouse. and 1 p.m. Visit the interior of three homes and view many other CLALLAM COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. sites from the bus, with entertaining historical tidbits along the at Captain T’s/The Beanery, 114 East Front St. Free event. Bring your way. The tour also will stop at the Celebration of Clallam County birth dates and family names for help building your family tree. Schools. Tickets are $12 and available for purchase at the Mu*HERITAGE UNDERGROUND TOUR: Hourly tours of downtown seum at the Carnegie, 207 S. Lincoln St. Port Angeles with costumed storytellers and actors at prime locations. Tours begin and end on Lincoln Street in front of the museum. Tickets available at the Port Angeles Regional Chamber Commerce GREAT LAURIDSEN DOLLAR CHASE: Free event at various downVisitor Center. All tours begin at The Landing mall atrium, where there town locations. Find as many “dollars” as you can and enter to win will be a bonus viewing of the trailer for “The Olympians.” For details Downtown Dollars redeemable at participating businesses. visit www.portangelesheritagetours.com. 20TH MAINE CIVIL WAR RE-ENACTORS: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at GREAT LAURIDSEN DOLLAR CHASE: Free event at various downthe Clallam County Courthouse. Drilling, recruiting, educating — town locations. Find as many “dollars” as you can and enter to win Come meet history as group members actively re-create army and Downtown Dollars redeemable at participating businesses. civilian life during the Civil War era. EAST-SIDE DRIVING TOURS OF HISTORIC HOMES: 10 a.m., noon ICE CREAM SOCIAL: 4 p.m. at Veterans Park, between the and 2 p.m. Visit the interior of three homes and view many other sites Museum at the Carnegie, 207 S. Lincoln St., and the Clallam County from the bus, with entertaining historical tidbits along the way. Tickets Courthouse on Lincoln Street. 10-cent ice cream served by the are $12 and available for purchase at The Museum At The Carnegie, Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) of Clallam County. 207 S. Lincoln St. Tours begin and end on Lincoln Street in front of *CELEBRATION OF CLALLAM COUNTY SCHOOLS: (Clallam the museum. County Historical Society) 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Antique car show, local COURTHOUSE CLOCK TOWER TOUR: 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., by authors, hot dog lunch, scrapbooking, note cards, Lincoln School donation. Get a look at the interior of the clock and hear histori“bricks,” photo displays, quilt raffle and live music from Banjo 101, cal information about the courthouse. Meets at the front door of Charlie Grall and Old Time Fiddlers. the old courthouse (Lincoln Street entrance). STEAM BALL FEATURING ABNEY PARK: Doors open at 7 p.m., the *UNLEASHING THE ELWHA — A YEAR LATER CRUISE: 3 p.m. show begins at 9 p.m. at the Masonic Lodge. Turn to page 4 for more to 5:30 p.m. $45 per ticket. Make your reservation by calling 360information about this event. 452-6210. *Independent event not sponsored by Heritage Days.

heritage days activity Steam Ball features Abney Park

a

bney Park, arguably the most well-known steampunk band in the country, will again perform during Port Angeles’ Heritage Days weekend celebration. Steam Ball is a no-alcohol event open to everyone — last year’s Steam Ball had event-goers ranging in age from toddlers to grandparents. Abney Park performs year-round to sold-out crowds around the country and internationally. The band celebrates all things air pirate, swashbuckling, Victorian steam industrial, postapocalyptic and Middle Eastern percussion with violin, keyboards and haunting vocals. Check out the band online at www.abneypark. com. “Steampunk began as a mix of literary genres including speculative fiction, alternate history and science fiction, taking place in an era where steam power is still widely used,” says Drew Schwab, owner of Anime Kat and the Port Angeles Downtown Association’s promotions chairperson. “Steampunk works feature technology or futuristic innovations as Victorians may have envisioned them.” Steam Ball will be held at the Masonic Lodge, 622 S. Lincoln St. in Port Angeles, on Sept. 15. Tickets are $20 in advance and $30 at the door if there are any left. The event starts at 9 p.m. with the doors opening at 7 p.m. Costumes are optional but highly encouraged. Expect to find dancing, outrageous outfits and tons of imagination at play. — Peninsula Daily News

HOBBY ANNIVERSARY

Pacific Rim Hobby

FIND TICKETS Steam Ball tickets are available in Port Angeles at the following locations: n Anime Kat, 110 W. First St. n Odyssey Bookshop, 114 W. Front St. n Twisted Mischief, 108 E. First St. n Or buy tickets online at NWPerformingArts.com

29667266

Model Cars – Boats – Trains Planes – RC & Supplies 29667859

138 W. Railroad, Port Angeles Mon. - Sat. - 10-6 • Sun. - 12-5 (360) 457-0794 • 800-99-"HOBBY" (994-6229)

Photo of Steam Ball 2011 by Jason Kauffman, Sterling Impressions Photographic


Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

Anthony Kearns and Patrick Healy 10/20/12

15

Support the PAHS Orchestra Established 1919

~Presenting a 2-Concert Benefit Series~ A SEASON OF BEAUTIFUL MUSIC FOR EVERY TASTE:

Irish, Classical, Broadway, Folk & Country! Tickets available online at www.nwperformingarts.com, at Northwest Fudge and Confections in downtown Port Angeles, and Pacific Mist Books in Sequim.

Ted Vigil’s Rocky Mountain High 5/4/13

The PAHS Orchestra History is Impressive and Inspiring From 10 in 1919 to 125 on the carnegie hall stage in 2013 The Port Angeles High School Orchestra program began in 1919. Boasting 93 years of unbroken success, it is one of the longest continuously running orchestra programs in the Pacific NW. In those 93 years, only six directors have led this award-winning program, making it even more unique: Lillian Baker, Francis McKay, Oscar Erickson, Mr. Hanson, Kathleen Barry, and Ron Jones. First Orchestra 1919-1920

93-Year History: An enthusiastic young teacher named Lillian Baker started the program in 1919; Robin Bingham, Bert DeRosie, Verna Fowler, Oliver Guy, Hilmar Hauge, Mr. Sly, Edgar Thompson, Florence Walton, and Merne Wright, along with Miss Baker, made up the original orchestra . The program grew and thrived into the 1960’s, when it began a significant decline in participation. When the orchestras were handed off in 1975 to another young and enthusiastic teacher, Ron Jones, it was with the edict: “Increase the quantity and quality of the program within five years, or it will be deleted from course offerings.” The high school program doubled in those five years and has continued to grow, flourish, and garner prestigious awards.

Performing at Carnegie Hall

Growth: When Jones moved to Port Angeles on the Labor Day weekend 1975 to take up his first, and only, teaching post, he found 15 high school orchestra students, 20 in junior high orchestra, and a thriving elementary program of 150 students spread out among the six large elementary schools throughout Port Angeles. Relying upon the strong resources of Betty Hansen and Jan Urfer, the elementary strings teaching staff, Jones began building the high school orchestra program into the whopping 125 students on the roles for the fall 2012 term. Currently the high school schedules three orchestras: a freshman Concert Orchestra of 44, the Symphonic Orchestra of 65, and a 16-student Chamber Orchestra. The program has become one of the finest in the state of Washington and throughout the Pacific Northwest. Impressive Record: Since Ron’s tenure began in 1975, the PAHS orchestra groups have traveled throughout the Northwest to perform in a variety of contests and festivals earning an impressive record of top three placements in all the competitions they have entered since the mid-1980’s. • 1977-78, the first All-City Strings Review was held. 150 elementary students and 50 secondary participated. This past year, 560 students participated in the Review. • 1986, first Northwest Orchestra Festival in Gresham, OR (100 groups from the western U.S. compete). PAHS always places in the top three slots with a record of 12 firsts, 6 seconds, 9 thirds. • 1998, attended first WIAA State Ensemble Contests. PAHS’s equally impressive record at WIAA is 3 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds.

Highlights of the program: • 1989, PAHS debuted at Carnegie Hall with 80 students. 125 students to perform in PAHS’s 7th performance in Carnegie Hall, March 2013. • 2000, 1st PAHS student group to perform internationally Traveled to and performed in their sister school - Tangshan Number One High School in China. • PAHS orchestras have accompanied internationally acclaimed musicians on the PAHS stage. Noted Violinist Mark O’Connor. Anthony Kearns of The Irish Tenors - 7 times to date • 2003, Kearns began a successful and continuing collaboration with the PAHS orchestra in 2003 bringing in over $100,000 to date to assist the orchestra’s New York travel

29665814

Dedication & Pride: Since 1975, the dedication of Jones and contributing educators, Betty Hansen, Mary Marshall, Richard McCoy, Heather Montgomery, Phil Morgan-Ellis, James Ray, Sabrina Scruggs, and Jan Urfer, can be credited with building the PAHS orchestra into the award-winning program it has become. The staff ’s dedication, combined with continued enthusiasm and support of the Port Angeles School District, the community, parents, and students, has enabled the orchestra to achieve this incredibly high level of performance. The city of Port Angeles can be very proud, indeed!


F

16

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

rom time immemorial, the

lower elwha Klallam tribe

has had a presence on the Olympic Peninsula and the Port Angeles area. The relationship the Klallam people have with the land and natural resources of this place they call home is one that has been hands-on and intimate-gathering, hunting and fishing for their sustenance. The lands of Port Angeles hold powerful cultural meaning and oral Klallam stories have passed traditions that keep the spirit of the Elwha Klallam, nəxʷsƛ̕áy̕əm̕ (Strong People) alive.

Specific sites of habitation by the Lower Elwha Klallam have been documented and include či̕ xʷícən, pronounced ch-whee-tsen, also known as Tse-Whit-Zen, an established year round Klallam village and cemetery site at the base of Ediz Hook in Port Angeles. či̕ xʷícən means inner-harbor and that name covers Hollywood Beach as well, a fishing and gathering site for early tribal members. ʔiʔínəs, Ennis Creek site, was another year round Klallam village established at the mouth of Ennis Creek in the Port Angeles Harbor. Elders speak of years past when the Elwha people lived on Ediz Hook, raising their families near the waters they hold sacred. The Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe maintains a powerful presence on the Elwha River, which has been a source of power and nourishment to those living in Port Angeles. The Tribe has worked continuously to restore and preserve the life of the River. This past year on September 17, 2011, the Tribal community celebrated the historic removal of two dams from the River with the Olympic National Park and residents of Port Angeles. This sacred River brings life to the people of Port Angeles by welcoming the salmon home and bringing pristine waters from the majestic Olympic Mountains. The Tribe will commemorate the one-year anniversary of dam removal on September 17.

Elwha Dam prior to September 2011.

The Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe looks forward to continuing the constructive relationship that it has built with the City of Port Angeles, the Port of Port Angeles, and its residents. The sacredness of this land will forever remain with the Elwha Tribe. They will continue to share its glory. The Tribe congratulates the City of Port Angeles on their 150th Anniversary. The Tribe cherishes the government-to-government relationship that has been built over the past 150 years. Thank you to all in the Port Angeles community who strive to keep Port Angeles a beautiful place!

Mural depicting a Klallam Village site completed in 1995 by artist Cory Ench which sits on the Fiero Building near an original nəxʷsƛ̕áy̕ əm’ village at Hollywood Beach.

29666877

Tribal Chairwoman Frances G. Charles holding her grandson Maurice, youth Aaron Peters, and Mayor Cherie Kidd celebrate the youth at the 2012 School District Potlatch at the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe.


Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

17

Taking a look back...

celebrating the sesquicentennial

Raffle tickets on sale for one-of-a-kind donated quilt

r

^ PENINSULA DAILY NEWS

Port Angeles Sesquicentennial Committee members Alice Donnelly, left, and Mayor Cherie Kidd accept the Sesquicentennial Quilt from Sunbonnet Sue quilters Joan Komendant, Murph Gerber and Betty Cook. The quilt, which is being raffled off, was donated to recognize the city’s 150th anniversary.

The 84-inch-by-84-inch quilt was made and donated by the Sunbonnet Sue Quilt Club of Sequim. In addition to the senior center, raffle tickets are available at Elliott’s Antique Emporium, Captain T’s, 116 E. Front St.; Necessities and Temptations, 217 N. Laurel St.; Odyssey Bookshop, 114 W. Front St.; Pen Print, 230 E. First St.; Port Angeles-Victoria Tourist Bureau, 121 E. Railroad Ave.; and Port Book & News, 104 E. First St. All proceeds will go toward signs for the newly designated historic district and restoration of the old fire station. The public is invited to the Oct. 10 drawing to eat cupcakes and ice cream in celebration of the anniversary. ­— Peninsula Daily News

^ PHOTO PROVIDED BY CLALLAM COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

This photo, taken April 15, 1914, shows men regrading Front Street. The photo was taken looking east on Front Street from Laurel Street.

from

29667016

Family Owned & operated in s e l e g n A t HAPPY r Po BIRTHDAY for 6 0 PORT ANGELES Years!

117 N. Lincoln St., Port Angeles • Questions about your projects? Our members have answers! •

WWW.NPBA.INFO

29665813

affle tickets for a chance to win the Port Angeles’ sesquicentennial quilt will are on sale at a variety of locations throughout Port Angeles. The colorful quilt, crafted by members of the Sunbonnet Sue Quilt Club, will be on display at Elliott’s Antique Emporium, 135 E. First St., until Oct. 3. At that time it will be returned to the Port Angeles Senior Center lobby, 328 E. Seventh St., in preparation for the drawing on Oct. 10. The drawing will be held at the Port Angeles Senior Center from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 10. You do not need to be present to win. Tickets are $1 each and will be sold by downtown Port Angeles merchants until noon on Oct. 9. Tickets will continue to be sold at the senior center up to the time of the drawing. The quilt has a Pacific Northwest theme with log cabin blocks at the center, creating a star pattern, which is surrounded by tree blocks. Other touches include bear claw blocks in the corners and flying geese blocks on the border that all contribute to the beauty of the piece. The words “Port Angeles, Washington Sesquicentennial 1862-2012” are embroidered in the white area at the foot of the quilt, below the center block area.

457-5277


18

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

Largest dam removal project in history helps Elwha River return to historic channel Salmon already starting to migrate upstream to spawn in nutrient-rich river he Elwha River began flowing through its tnative channel for the first time in more than

100 years. In the largest dam removal project in the nation’s history, the 108-foot Elwha Dam and the 210-foot Glines Canyon Dam are being torn down to restore salmon habitat as part of the $325 million Elwha River Restoration project. The dams, located west of Port Angeles on the Elwha River, were constructed without fish ladders, blocking salmon from migrating upstream to spawn in the nutrient-rich habitat just five miles upriver from the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Teardown of the dams began in September 2011. The project is expected to take three years to complete, but is exceeding expectations. In the early 1900s, entrepreneur Thomas Aldwell sought to harness the energy of the Elwha River. He spearheaded construction of the hydroelectric Elwha Dam as head of the Olympic Power and Development Co.

>> Continued on Page 19

This photograph from the Clallam County Historical Society shows what Lower Elwha Dam and the surrounding area looked like, circa 1914.

Serving Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner For 26 Years! Bring the Family and join us anytime!

29667014

The CornerHouse Restaurant

101 E. Front St, Downtown P.A. • 360-452-9692 Open 6 am Daily - Happy Hour and Food Specials in the Lounge


Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

>> Continued from Page 18

SEPTEMBER 2012

^ PENINSULA DAILY NEWS (3)

LEFT: Water from Lake Mills flows over the Glines Canyon Dam in March 2010. CENTER: Against the backdrop of a salmon mural, Lower Elwha Though a state law required fish passage, the tribal singers and dancers perform at the start of the September 2011 dam removal celebration. RIGHT: Demolition of Elwha Dam begins. dam was built without fish ladders, which would allow salmon to navigate through the dams. A state-approved hatchery Aldwell built to circumvent that law was abandoned in 1922 after it proved unsuccessful. The growing economy soon led to the decision to build a second dam on the river. Glines Canyon Dam was constructed by Northwestern Power and Light Co. eight miles upriver from the Elwha Dam — also without fish ladders. As a result of the two dams, the Elwha River, which once had one of the most productive salmon runs in the Pacific Northwest, was left with a mere five miles of available habitat for returning fish.

80th Season of the

Port Angeles Symphony Tickets and Information 360.457.5579 portangelessymphony.org Featuring this season: • 80th Season Opening Family Spectacular featuring the Magic Circle Mime Co. with $5 tickets for everyone 16 and under. • Gershwin’s Piano Concerto in F • Holiday Concert • Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto in A • And the return of the violinist Monique Mead performing Saint-Saëns Violin Concerto No. 3 and much more! Season tickets available beginning as low as $45

29665812

29665880

>> Continued on Page 20

19


20

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012 >> Continued from Page 19

the communities. Today, the electrical needs of the area are much greater. Spawning runs were reduced from 400,000 fish Though the dams generated an average of 19 megabefore the dams were completed — the Elwha Dam watts annually, they had become obsolete. The comin 1913 and the Glines Canyon Dam in 1927 — to a bined output of both dams was no longer a significant minuscule run of 3,000. source of power, and the hydroelectric dams were shut In 1992, Congress passed the Elwha River Ecosysdown June 1, 2011. tem and Fisheries Restoration Act, which mandated The $26.9 million teardown and removal of the dams full restoration of the ecosystem and purchase of the is being done by Barnard Construction Co. Inc. of Bozdams by the federal government. eman, Mont., plus a number of subcontractors Barnard An environmental impact statement released in is using. 1995 concluded that removal of both dams was the To start removing the Elwha Dam, Lake Aldwell — only way to achieve full restoration of the Elwha River the reservoir formed behind the dam — was lowered. ecosystem and fisheries. In that impact statement, four alternatives had also The dam’s two spillways were removed and a diverbeen examined, including leaving the dams in place sion channel dug on the north side (left side looking and installing fish passage facilities, removing either downstream). dam and installing fish passage measures at the reEight to 10 blasts removed the remaining concrete maining dam, as well as a “no action” plan of retaining and further carved out the diversion channel. both dams without fish passages. Coffer dams — temporary structures acting as dams However, the chances of restoring fish and the eco— then directed the river into the diversion channel, system dropped substantially under the alternatives. separating it from sediment behind the dam. Dam removal is restoring the river to its natural, The original river channel has been excavated and free-flowing state, allowing all five species of Pacific the dam’s structures are gone, as is Lake Aldwell. salmon — chinook, coho, chum, pink and sockeye — The site will be recontoured and revegetated to and other anadromous fish that primarily live in the resemble the pre-dam condition. ocean but spawn in fresh water to once again reach Glines Canyon Dam in the national park was also habitat and spawning grounds. lowered and layers of the dam removed to the new By 2039, the river is expected to be replenished to its water level. It is being “notched down” on alternating pre-dam level with Pacific salmon. sides to create temporary spillways and its reservoir, ^ PENINSULA DAILY NEWS At the time of construction, the dams provided a Lake Mills, drained incrementally. The final concrete Water from the Elwha River flows through the channel that was once the significant power source for the Olympic Peninsula and helped fuel economic growth and development for layers will be blasted, and revegetation has begun. north spillway of the Elwha Dam after crews changed the river’s path. As Lake Mills has slowly drained, traces of history have emerged. On the Glines Canyon Dam intake tower, about 50 feet below the surface level of the reservoir, contractor crews discovered some decades-old graffiti. “Tom” and “Roy,” both presumably part of the dam’s construction crew, apparently signed their names in tar, also noting the year, 1927. Beginning in May, all in-water work was stopped for Olympic Stationers opened in 1935 and was owned by the Evening News until two months. This clean water “fish window” was one 1959. Gerald (Jug) Johnson was part owner until 1971 and the sole owner for of many measures being used to protect fish from high 38 years. The store is still in the family, owned by Jug’s daughter Karen. They levels of silt and turbidity in the river during the dam removal project. moved to their current address at 122 E. Front Street in 1974, where they have The entire project is set to end by September 2014. expanded to offer you the largest selection of Office and Art Supplies on the The Elwha River Restoration is the sum of several Peninsula. The Gift and Home Decor Departments have grown into almost a other projects, plus the dam removal. store of their own: Living It Up, upstairs at Olympic Stationers. Some of these projects include a new fish hatchery for the Lower Elwha Klallam tribe, a state fish-rearing facility on Morse Creek, a greenhouse that is growing plants for riverbank restoration and two water treatment plants to help remove the sediment held back by the dams from the water, as well as a sewer system and reinforcement the levee for the Lower Elwha Klallam reservation. Fish facilities were constructed to help aid in salmon recovery. The new Lower Elwha Klallam tribal fish hatchery Olympic Stationers, serving you with a smile for 77 years. on Stratton Road opened in May 2011. ^ PENINSULA DAILY NEWS The hatchery, with an official Klallam name that Open 8:30 to 5:30 Monday thru Friday 10:00 to 3:00 on Saturday Industrial-sized wrenches from the translates to “House of Salmon,” is raising coho, pink 457-6111 FAX 457-0729 122 E. Front Street former Elwha Dam await curation and chum salmon as well as steelhead.

Olympic Stationers

Stop by and check out our great selection of local history books

29666988

olympicstationers@olypen.com

at the Clallam County Historical Society in Port Angeles.

>> Continued on Page 22


Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

21

NIPPON PAPER INDUSTRIES USA

WORKING TOWARD THE FUTURE OF OUR COMMUNITY The Mill, which now produces about 160,000 tons of paper annually, manufactures telephone book paper and other lightweight products such as paper for advertising inserts, flyers, and directories, as well as newsprint, including newsprint that makes up the Peninsula Daily News, Forks Forum, Sequim Gazette and the Port Townsend Leader.

BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE Nippon Paper Industries USA Port Angeles mill has been an integral member of the community since 1920. The mill is designed to produce both paper and power from renewable and sustainable resources, including recycled paper, residual sawmill fiber and waste products. Nippon Paper Industries USA is investing over $71 million in building a high-efficiency biomass cogeneration boiler and steam turbine generator to replace a 1970’s boiler and produce 20 MW of electrical power.

The Nippon Paper Industries USA Co Gen Project is designed for: • Production of 168,000 MW of RPS Qualified electricity annually • High Thermal Efficiency • Extensive Environmental Controls • Low water use with advance water reclamation and reuse

June 20, 2012

Pictured Left to Right: Ed Tolan–Fiber Procurement Manager, Paul Perlwitz– Environmental Manager, John Boyd–Utilities Superintendent, Harold Norlund–Mill Manager, Amy Dougherty–Capital Buyer, Tami Smith–Environmental Coordinator, Wayne Guthrie–Senior Project Engineer, Doug Smith–Project Engineer, Richard Ziomkowski– Senior Electrical Engineer, Gary Holmquist–Project Manager CoGen, Paul Elliott–Maintenance Manager, Bill Dawson-Small Project Manager

210

EMPLOYEES STRONG

2966416

Nippon Paper Industries USA is committed to environment stewardship with a strong history of focuses on prevention and reduction of emissions and promoting effective usage of energy and natural resources.

CoGen Laying Steel


22

Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

^ PENINSULA DAILY NEWS

Olympic National Park volunteers Lisa Turnberg, left, and Linda Button, both of Sequim, clean native salal starts in 2011 at the native plant nursery at Robin Hill Farm County Park, for revegetation of the Elwha River after the dam removals. >> Continued from Page 20

It will replace the tribe’s old hatchery, which will operate for about one more year before it is decommissioned. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s Elwha Rearing Channel on Crown Z Water Road, plus other facilities within WDFW’s Dungeness/Sol Duc complex, will continue to support the river’s chinook salmon population. These chinook carry the same genetics as their legendary ancestors that were known for their large body size. In 2010, WDFW opened a fish-rearing facility at Morse Creek east of Port Angeles to help preserve the endangered Elwha River chinook. The purpose of the facility is to get 200,000 juvenile, hatchery-born Elwha River chinook salmon acclimated to the waters of Morse Creek every year so they return to that stream to spawn. Dam removal carries a risk that the Elwha River salmon populations could be compromised by the large amount of sediment that will be released.

Congratulations Port Angeles on your 150th Anniversary!

The hatchery and fish-rearing facilities will help protect the fish should such a problem occur. By preserving their genetic makeup, the chinook raised in Morse Creek could be used to replenish the Elwha stock if needed. A greenhouse at Olympic National Park’s Matt Albright Native Plant Center is the site where trees, shrubs and grasses are being grown for the restoration project. More than 400,000 native plants are being grown at the center, located at Robin Hill Farm County Park, which is between Port Angeles and Sequim off Dryke Road, just north of U.S. Highway 101. Workers began collecting seeds from the Elwha River in 2008. Park staff and volunteers have begun scattering thousands of pounds of seeds as well as plant shrubs and trees grown from seeds collected from the project’s boundaries. They plant the greenery in the bowl-like basins exposed by the draining of the two reservoirs. Only plants native to the Elwha River area are used for revegetation. The Port Angeles Water Treatment Plant, located in Port Angeles next to the waste transfer station at the west end of 18th Street, will treat the city’s drinking water. The city gets its drinking water from a well charged by river water, but that may become clogged as fine particles of sediment make their way into the groundwater after the dams come down. The city already treats its drinking water at the well, but the treatment plant is able to remove the additional sediment and meets new, more stringent state health guidelines for water bound for people’s faucets. The second plant is an industrial water treatment facility known as the Elwha Water Treatment Facility, located off Crown Z Water Road near WDFW’s Elwha Rearing Channel. It is designed to remove sediment from the water supply for the tribal fish hatchery, the WDFW fish-rearing channel and the Nippon Paper Industries USA mill, and also when needed by the treatment plant in Port Angeles for further treatment for municipal use. Between 21 million and 28 million cubic yards of sediment sits behind the two dams, having accumulated during the past century. Of that, the U.S. Geological Survey estimates that 9 million to 10.5 million cubic yards of silt, sand, clay, cobbles and gravel is being carried downstream to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The rest will be covered by vegetation and remain where the Lake Mills and Lake Aldwell reservoirs once existed. When the dams were built, sediment that had moved down the river since the last Ice Age was suddenly blocked. Removing the dams will re-establish the river’s natural flow of sediment — rebuilding wetlands, beaches and the estuary at the river’s mouth. The Elwha nearshore will regain some 30 percent of its total sediment budget. Within five years of dam removal, the effects will be seen at the mouth of the Elwha River and at nearby beaches, including Ediz Hook in Port Angeles. The Elwha watershed is the largest in Olympic National Park. Restoration of salmon to more than 70 miles of river and tributaries will also return vital nutrients to the watershed and restore the entire ecosystem. The project is the second-largest ecosystem restoration project in the history of the National Park Service. For decades, members of the Lower Elwha Klallam tribe pushed for dam removal. The tribe has lived along the Elwha for thousands of years. When the river was obstructed, the Klallam people lost much sacred ground, including the Creation Site that was flooded by Lake Aldwell, as well as the once-plentiful salmon. The tribe is playing a lead role in the project. Now the salmon can return, flooded sacred sites can be restored and cultural traditions can be reborn. — Peninsula Daily News

How to track the dam removal process www.albrightnetworks.com 813 E. 8th St. • Port Angeles

29667045

360.452.6305

More information about the Elwha River Restoration project is available at tinyurl.com/ONPelwhariver, or on Facebook by searching for “Elwha River Restoration.” Olympic National Park also maintains

its dam removal blog at tinyurl.com/ ONPdamblog. The blog provides regular updates on deconstruction news, photos and details of visitor access. — Peninsula Daily News


Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary

SEPTEMBER 2012

Looking 150 years in the future w

THANK YOU!

| by Port Angeles City Manager Dan McKeen

hen we step out of the transport tube and into the bright sunshine, we are immediately overwhelmed by the incredible natural beauty that greets us. To the south, we are flanked by deep green forested mountains that morph into towering snowcapped peaks that stretch up to a brilliant clear blue sky. To the north, across a stretch of open water, we can see the emerald forests of Vancouver Island, with its own host of snowy mountains as a backdrop. In the foreground, we overlook a quaint downtown core that has obviously remained true to its traditional Northwest character and roots. This is Port Angeles, and so far it lives up to the glowing reviews on all of the virtual tour guide applications. We can quickly understand why the locals love

it here. They have it all. They enjoy a natural wonderland that is truly unique. Within a few minutes travel time, they can shake the beach sand from their shoes, move through thick natural forests, pass into an alpine wilderness and gaze out onto glaciers. Incredible! After a refreshing journey into a pristine mountain wilderness, visitors and locals alike can enjoy the bustling downtown and waterfront with all of its nostalgic appeal, coupled with the most modern of amenities. All around are cleverly placed displays that highlight the cutting-edge technology that the region has become known for. Even more unique is how the technology is interwoven with fascinating exhibits revealing the rich, diverse cultural history of the area, with an emphasis on the influence of the proud

Native Americans who first settled here so many centuries ago. We envy how the residents here have such immediate access to not only the wonders of Olympic National Park, but also to Victoria, British Columbia, one of the most popular cities in Canada. Forget the 3-minute trip by travel tube — visitors traveling to Victoria can still even make the leisurely voyage by vintage ferry! It is such a pleasure to visit a place that has so successfully integrated all of the best that can be desired. The residents we meet seem so genuinely happy and grateful to be living here. They are visibly proud of how their community has managed to preserve, protect and enhance the unique environment that they are so lucky to live in. They are quick to point out that they enjoy not

23

^ PENINSULA DAILY NEWS (3)

Port Angeles City Manager Dan McKeen stands in front of City Hall.

only a natural wonderland, but also a gem of a community that has stayed connected to its rich history while embracing the very best of the ultra tech revolution. This is clearly a special place. It is a place that long ago recognized that it had outstanding potential as an optimum location to live, work and play. It is a vibrant commu-

nity where residents and visitors alike enjoy access to world class arts and entertainment, unsurpassed scenic beauty and faithful attention to heritage. Our only regret is that we did not devote more time to this portion of our trip. We will be back, maybe next time to stay. Beam us back to Port Angeles, Scotty — and soon!

Planning events to celebrate and document Port Angeles’ sesquicentennial has been community-wide undertaking. Sesquicentennial committee members are pleased with the outpouring of community support and enthusiasm during the year. We could not have properly celebrated Port Angeles’ 150th anniversary without your support and contributions. There are dozens of local residents who have worked tirelessly to promote events and we thank-you for your dedication and generous contributions. We would also like to take a moment to recognize our main sponsors and contributors. Thanks again for your continued support! Sponsors and contributors include: n First Federal n Ed Bedford and Northwest Soda Works n Port Angeles Senior Center n Kitsap Bank n Anna Nichols n Port Angeles Coin Club n Strait Stamp Club n Captain T’s n Sunbonnet Sue Quilt Club n Peninsula Daily News n KONP n Clallam County Fair

Independent Bible Church

info@www.indbible.org Happy 150th Anniversary Port Angeles 29666419

Serving Clallam County communities for 60 years!

29665811

PO Box 937 • Port Angeles, WA 98362 360-457-3011

28666363

United Way of Clallam County


24

SEPTEMBER 2012

Port Angelesâ&#x20AC;&#x2122; 150th anniversary

29665870


Port Angeles 150th anniversary celebration