Pembroke College Record
Pembroke College Record
MASTER REV. FREDERICK HOMES DUDDEN, D.D.
FELLOWS HERBERT LIONEL DRAKE, M.A. Emeritus. LIONEL EDGAR SALT, M.A. Emeritus. RONALD BUCHANAN MCCALLUM, M.A. Vicegerent, Senior Tutor and Lecturer in Modern History. DONALD GEORGE CECIL MACNABB, M.A. Tutor and Lecturer in Philosophy. ROBERT REYNOLDS MACINTOSH, M.A., D.M. Professor of Anaesthetics. CHARLES LESLIE WRENN, M.A. Professor of Anglo-Saxon. REV. HERBERT STANLEY DEIGHTON, B.LITT., M.A. Dean, Chaplain, and Lecturer in Modern History. CHARLES NEVILLE WARD-PERKINS, M.A. Lecturer in Economics. ROBERT FRANCIS VERE HEUSTON, M.A. Lecturer in Law. GEORGE RICHARD FREDERICK BREDIN, M.A., C.B.E., Bursar. GODFREY WILLIAM BOND, B.A., Lecturer in Classics. HONORARY FELLOWS RT. REV. FREDERIC SUMPTER GUY WARMAN, D.D.
Bishop of Dorchester. Assistant-Bishop and Archdeacon of Oxford.
RT. REV. GERALD BURTON ALLEN, D.D. VISCOUNT NUFFIELD, M.A., HON. D.C.L.
SIR VINCENT WILBERFORCE BADDELEY, M.A., K.C.B. SIR JEREMY RAISMAN, M.A., G.C.I.E., K.C.S.I. HON. SIR DONALD LESLIE FINNEMORE, M.A.
fudge of the High Judge
Court of Justice. fustice. Senator of the U.S.A. Professor of Moral Philosophy,
HON. JAMES WILLIAM FULBRIGHT, M.A. THOMAS MALCOLM KNOX, M.A.
St. Andrews University. SIR THOMAS PERCIVAL CREED, M.A., K.B.E., M.C., K.C. LENNOX JAMES JAMES MORISON., MORISON, M.A.
NOTES HE year 1950 sees the retirement of the two principal Texecutive officers of the College, Mr. H. L. Drake, Vicegerent and Senior Tutor, and Mr. L. E. Salt, Bursar. Mr. Drake has been a Fellow and Tutor in Classics since 1907 when he came to us from Radley where his work as sixth form master in Classics had attracted the attention of Oxford Tutors. In 1912, on the death of Mr. Barton he was appointed Senior Tutor and in 1924 he succeeded Mr. Leudesdorf as Vicegerent. By the time of his retirement he was by many years the doyen of the senior tutors of Oxford and also by many years the senior active tutor in Classics in any College. A formal statement of the periods of Mr. Drake's offices gives an imperfect impression of the nature and value of his services to the College. He took the liveliest interest in the athletic life of the place and from 1911 to 1946 was Treasurer of the Amalgamated Clubs and supervised all the finances of our athletics. It was in his period of office that the present playing-field was acquired (by the munificence of the late Mrs. Ashmore) and the finances of the Clubs were laid and preserved on a sound financial basis. He was also, from 1912 onwards, Steward of the Senior Common Room and gathered and cared for the Pembroke cellar which is the envy of the University. Mr. Drake has also been the loyal friend of the College Society. Its two secretaries, Mr. Burrowes and Mr. McCallum, have been indebted to him for assistance in all their work and have profited by his remarkable knowledge of the older members of the College. During the war, in the absence of the Dean on service, Mr. Drake undertook the duties of Dean for seven years to spare his married colleagues the burden of pernoctation. From 1912 to 1950 he was the College Representative on the University Appointments Committee. Mr. Drake retired on 31 December 1949. Under the 1926 statutes he was elected an Emeritus Fellow for life and he continues to reside in his rooms in College. One of his former offices he still retains, the Stewardship of the
Common Room. He is succeeded in the Treasurership of the Amalgamated Clubs by Mr. Macnabb. Mr. Drake's successor as Senior Tutor and also as Vicegerent is Mr. R. B. McCallum, Fellow and Lecturer in Modern History, who has been a Fellow of the College since 1925. Mr. L. E. Salt, who succeeded the late Mr. George Wood as Bursar in 1922, retired from his office on 31 August 195o. 1950. Mr. Salt, who before his appointment as Fellow and Bursar was practising at the Bar, has has held held his his office office for 27 years, and with the exception of Dr. Radcliffe of New College was the senior College Bursar. During this long period he presided over our finances with happy results. Confronted at first with formidable difficulties, he effected by careful management so satisfactory an improvement in the financial position that in 1939 the College was probably better off financially than at any previous time in its history. Throughout the war he judiciously husbanded our resources and so meet very heavy repair expenses in the postenabled us to Meet war years. The financial position of all colleges at present is extremely difficult as repairs and rising costs have to be met out of a revenue which does not proportionately expand, expand. Indeed, the fall in rates of interest has even caused revenues to fall absolutely as well as relatively. One of many valuable services performed by Mr. Salt during his term of office was his compilation of a register of all members of the College going back btck as far as our records afford evidence, the earliest name dating to 1576 at Broadgates Hall. Mr. Salt, like Mr. Drake, becomes an Emeritus Fellow and retains his rooms in College. Two new elections have been made to the Governing body in the course of the past year. Mr. George Bredin has been elected Fellow and Bursar in succession to Mr. Salt. Mr. Bredin has had a distinguished career in the Sudan Political Service. He is an Oxford man and was at Oriel after the war in 1919 and won a distinction in shortened Greats. In his career in the Sudan he was Governor of the Blue Nile Province and also served in the Secretariat at Khartoum. On his retirement in 1948 he served for one year as temporary secretary to the Appointments Committee of Liverpool
University, which gave him much experience of post-war University conditions and especially of the employment of graduates. He brings wide administrative experience to the office of Bursar at a time when conditions have become extremely difficUlt. Mr. G. W. Bond of Trinity College, Dublin, has been elected Fellow and Lecturer in Classics to succeed Mr. Drake. Mr. Bond, who is 25, had an extremely distinguished career in Classics at Dublin University and he also served in Foreign Office intelligence in this country at the close of the war. He came to Oxford in January 1950 as a graduate student at St. John's College where he was studying for the degree of D.Phil in Greek papyrology. He takes over his duties as Classical Tutor in October of this year. Honorary Fellows In March 1948 the College elected to an honorary Fellowship Sir Donald Finnemore, Judge of the High Court. Mr. Justice Finnemore was in residence at the College from 1908 to 19 I 2 and was distinguished by a First Class in the Honour School of Jurisprudence and also by his enthusiasm as a member of the Eight. Of our eminent senior members none is more loyal to the College and College rowing than Mr. Justice Finnemore, who never fails to visit us in Eights Week and is to be seen not merely on the barge but on the towing-path. He has also been good enough to visit the College in a legal capacity and presided over a moot of the Blackstone Society. In October 1949 he was the Judge of Assize in Oxford and entertained the Fellows and resident Honorary Fellows to dinner in the Judge's Lodgings. In March 1949 the College elected to an Honorary Fellowship the Honorable James Fulbright, Senator of the United States. Senator Fulbright was in residence at the College as a Rhodes Scholar from 1925 to 1928 and on returning to the United States qualified as a lawyer and practised in his native state of Arkansas. He was made President of the State University in 1940; and was elected in 1942 to the House of Representatives and in 1944 to the Senate. He is now a member of the Foreign Relations Committee of the Senate and thus at the very heart of the most crucial world affairs.
But in the academic world Mr. Fulbright is known for more than his eminent political position. He was the author of the famous Fulbright Act of Congress by which funds owing to the United States in foreign currencies were allocated to facilitate travel for American students abroad and to assist foreign students to visit America. The Fulbright scheme is now in full operation and it will rank as one of the most effectual means of promoting association between the universities of all countries that has been known. It will be noted that the scheme applies not only to students in the more technical sense but to Professors and teachers as well. Several senior American scholars have resided in Oxford under the Fulbright scheme for the past year and have given lectures in various faculties. There is another connexion between Pembroke and the Fulbright Fund. Mr. Alan Pifer, who is the London Secretary of the scheme, is the son of Mr. C. A. Pifer who was at Pembroke as a Rhodes Scholar in the years 1908 to 1911. Sir Thomas Creed, K.B.E., formerly Legal Secretary and Chief Justice of the Sudan and now Secretary to King's College, London, was elected to an honorary fellowship. Sir Thomas Creed matriculated matriculated in in 19 1917 I 7 as as a classical scholar, served in the Army and was awarded the Military Cross. He was a prominent member of the College in the post-I post-1918 918 years and has since had a distinguished career in the Sudan new post post at. at London Service. In his new London he is prominent in the work of University administration. Professor T. M. Knox, Professor of Moral Philosophy at St. Andrews, has also been made an Honorary Fellow. Mr. Knox was elected a classical scholar of the College in 1919 and took a First Class in Literae Humaniores in 1923. He then went into business with Lever Bros. and later returned to academic life, being elected Fellow and Tutor in Philosophy at Jesus College, Oxford. He left Oxford for St. Andrews in 1936 and has since become prominent in Scottish University life and has frequently represented his University as Deputy for the Principal, Sir James Irvine. Professor Knox was the most eminent of the pupils of the late R. G. Collingwood and since Professor Collingwood's death he has edited several of his posthumous works. He has also published a
translation of Hegel's Philosophy of Law which has been invaluable to students of the subject. Mr. L. J. Morison has also been elected to an Honorary Fellowship. Mr. Morison was elected to a scholarship in Classics in 1891 and then served in the Board of Education until his retirement before the war. Mr. Morison, who won the Chancellor's Prize for Latin Verse, remained an enthusiastic classical scholar and has published a translation of Aeschylus's Prometheus Finctus and Sophocles' Antigone and contributed to the learned periodicals on classical subjects. The number of undergraduates in residence at the College in the years since 1947 has been kept at about 155. This is an increase of about 3o on the figure before 1939 and it is the policy of the College to remain at or about that figure. We could without difficulty accept much greater numbers but to do that would be to alter the character of the College; it would mean having the great majority of our men in lodgings and the strain on the teaching facilities and the Library would be much greater. It seems better to the present governing body to retain our character, to have a society in which the men know each other, and to reject the very doubtful advantages of being a large College in numbers of undergraduates and small in accommodation and number of Fellows. In the year 1950 to 1951 the numbers have increased to about 162 resident undergraduates. The men who have recently come into residence have no war-time exemptions and so have to do the full three-year course. This means that fewer are going down this year but the normal number of 5o freshmen will be matriculated. All calculations about numbers, however, are made uncertain by the increase in the length of military service which will probably delay the arrival of men who have been accepted and are now doing their service. It is probable that men who intended to come up in 1951 may be delayed till 1952 but the policy of the Government in this matter is not yet known. Men who by the extension of six months would be unable to come out of the Army by October i950 are being permitted earlier release. The New Building All Oxford men will have heard of the munificent gift of
M. Besse to Oxford in the form of a new college, St. Antony's, which will act as a link between Oxford and France and will always contain a proportion of French students. In addition to the fund to provide for the new College, M. Besse offered a sum to be distributed to several Colleges for the erection of additional accommodation, it being understood that the Colleges which accepted such offer should be willing to provide for a number of French students at the College. Pembroke is fortunate in being one of the Colleges which is to share in the benefaction and it is proposed to erect a building on a vacant site in the possession of the College on the north side of Beef Lane towards the western end. Sir Hubert Worthington has accepted the office of architect for the new building and has drawn up plans for a building which would provide ten sets of rooms for undergraduates and one Fellow's set. It is not known when work on the building will begin as the matter is dependent on licences which are under the control of the public authority and are issued via the University. When complete the building will enable us to have ten more men in accommodation which is virtually in College. The architect has had to solve a difficult problem in designing the building. To Tp the south, the mass of the buildings of the inner quadrangle shut off much of the light and to the north the houses of Pembroke Street, some but not all of which are College property, come very close to the new building. But Sir Hubert Worthington's plans have neatly solved these difficulties and the new buildings should be well lighted as well as commodious. In his design the architect has had in view the eventual possibility of enclosing Beef Lane for a new court or quadrangle of the College. This is admittedly a long-range project; not all the property is in our hands and it would require the consent of the City Planning Authority. It does not, however, conflict with the present published plans for the rebuilding of the St. Ebbe's area and it need not be despaired of as a legitimate ambition for the College at some future date. The new kitchen Members who attended the last Gaudy in 1949 will remember that after the dinner they were invited to view the
newly remodelled kitchen. This was a project which had long been planned but was delayed by the war and could not be carried out till some years after. Lord Nuffield, who has been such a generous benefactor in so many ways, made a substantial contribution to the expense. The main changes made in the kitchen were the raising of the floor by three feet to place it on the same level as the storehouse outside, the construction of a lift up to the entrance to the hall which saves labour in sending up the food and also complete refacing of the walls and new gas stoves, washing machines, &c. Mr. Organ, who succeeded succeeded the the latelate Mr. Mr. Harris Harris as College chef in 1940, may now claim to have the best-equipped kitchen of any Oxford College. Nuffield Scholars in Medicine In addition to his generous benefaction towards the cost of the new kitchen Lord Nuffield has endowed the College with two scholarships in medicine. At the same time he made a similar gift to Worcester College, and Pembroke and Worcester hold a joint examination for these scholarships to which is added our older medical scholarship founded by Dr. Theodore Williams. It is not perhaps generally known that scholarships in medicine are very few at Oxford; most intending doctors who seek scholarships compete for general science scholarships. With three open emoluments for medical students Pembroke may hope to hold a position of some eminence in the medical school here. The Oxford School of Medicine has had severely to restrict the number of students it admits annually. Holders of our medical scholarships are accepted by the Faculty without.question but our admission of medical Commoners cannot be more than two or at most three in any one year. In these circumstances the College has had with regret to refuse applications from medical students whom it would otherwise have been glad to admit. While in all subjects admission to Oxford is becoming more competitive, medicine is the most competitive of all. The Rev. A. B. Burrowes, formerly Fellow and Chaplain of the College, has been elected to be Bishop of St. Andrews in the Episcopal Church of Scotland. He was consecrated and installed in January 195o. His residence is at Perth and as a Bishop of the Episcopal Church he will be an ex officio
Governor of Trinity College, Glenalmond, a school in which he has always been interested and which is rarely without representatives amongst the undergraduates of Pembroke. We regret to record the death of one of our Honorary Fellows, Sir Stanley. Marchant, C.V.O., F.S.A., whose distinguished career in music was crowned by his tenure of the office of Principal of the Royal Academy of Music. Sir Stanley Marchant matriculated in 1907 and took the degree of Doctor of Music in 1914. College Lectureships Of the 162 undergraduates resident in Michaelmas Term 1950, 52 are reading for subjects not taught by Fellows of the College. Mr. Andrewes, formerly Fellow in Ancient History who returned to New College three years ago, remains our Lecturer in Ancient History. Mr. J. R. P. O'Brien, who is a Pembroke man and a University Demonstrator in Biochemistry, has served us as Lecturer in Natural Science for many years past and the College is indebted to him for his care of all our science students. In particular he is the tutor to our medical students in physiology and examines for the College in medical scholarships and in closed scholarships when science is offered. To make permanent provision for the teaching of Anatomy, a subject growing in specialization and complexity, the College has elected as Lecturer in Anatomy Dr. David Sinclair of Oriel College who is a University Demonstrator in Anatomy. Dr. Sinclair is a graduate in medicine of the University of St. Andrews. Mr. Brett-Smith, who served the College for so long as Lecturer in English, retired from his work after the war and Mr. L. Rice-Oxley, Fellow of Keble, undertook the tuition of our students in English. In Trinity Term 1950 the College accepted a proposal from Brasenose College to create a joint lectureship between the two colleges in English Literature and thus add to the number of the College tutors in the Faculty. The candidate elected was Mr. Ian Jack, who is an M.A. of Edinburgh and had completed three years as a research student in English Literature at Merton and has recently taken the degree of Doctor of Philosophy. Dr. Jack and Dr. Sinclair have been made members of the Senior
Common Room and are thus closely associated with the College. The Common Room Parlour During the Long Vacation the Senior Common Room Parlour was redecorated and refurnished, an improvement which was made possible by .a generous gift from a member of the College who desires to remain anonymous. Nothing is more difficult in a Collegiate Society than a question of taste but the matter was entrusted to a Committee consisting of the Steward, Mr. Drake, Mr. Macnabb, Mr. Deighton, and Mr. Heuston. The red paper on the walls was painted grey, new electric fittings including standard lamps were bought, and also new and much more comfortable chairs. Before the redecoration the walls were covered with a great variety of pictures, prints, and photographs. It was a somewhat controversial question how many of these should be rehung. In the event the Committee have made a judicious selection of some of the most suitable pictures and the room as redecorated is brighter and more comfortable. It will always be open to the acti temporis laudatores to regret the older scheme with its warmer tone, dimmer lights, and its wonderful variety of pictures by the exhibition of which our guests could be entertained indefinitely. THE LIBRARY Very soon after the end of the war the College Library suffered the loss by his translation to New College of Mr. Andrewes who, as Librarian, had, before 1939, begun the necessary process of unification and re-cataloguing. Some years after the end of the First World War, the Undergraduate Library, once a separate institution under the care of the Junior Common Room, was amalgamated with the College Library and came under the care of the Librarian. Thus the Library has for practical purposes two sections, the first a working library accessible to undergraduates and designed to meet the needs of those reading for the Honours Schools; the second, a senior library, consisting of those books acquired by the College during the centuries in which the Library was designed solely for the use of Fellows, together with a number of collections of books given or left to the
College at various times. The immediate result of the amalgamation was the creation of a housing problem since the unified library possesses many more books than it has room for. Space was found for the undergraduate volumes, in part, by transferring the Chandler Collection (an acquisition of the 1890's, 8 9o's,not notin ineveryday everydayuse), use), to to aa room room suitably suitably shelved in the Master's Lodging. Such changes made a good deal of re-arrangement and re-cataloguing necessary and Mr. Andrewes was engaged upon this when war was declared. After the war the most immediate and pressing need was for the provision of working books for undergraduates, since they were usually prevented by an acute shortage of booksâ€”if not of moneyâ€”from acquiring adequate libraries of their own. The College soon became the owner of one of the best undergraduate libraries, at any rate for the humanities, to be found in any but the largest Colleges. There was acute competition for new booksâ€”on a winter's morning in 1947, when it became known. known that a number of Anglo-Saxon England would be copies of Sir F. M. Stenton's available, there was a queue of more than a hundred people outside the Oxford University Press Showroom in the High Street before the doors were opened at 9 o'clock. Tutors were asked to buy at once on behalf of the Library any books which they felt would be useful to their pupils. This was expensive and made necessary an economy in another direction which at one time showed signs of being disastrous. In view of the demand and of the unusually large numbers of men living in lodgings, the Library was left open and, since adequate supervision would have been prohibitively costly, unattended from 9 a.m. until midnight during term. The Library was fully used. On most nights it was in use until nearly midnight but from the point of view of the convenience of undergraduates, this experiment must be admitted failure. Large Large numbers numbers of books were to have been a totaltotal failure. taken out, many of them without the formality of an entry in the register, and remained out sometimes for terms at a time. Far too many, indeed, have not been returned at all. The College had preferred to spend money on books rather than on supervision, but in the light of this experience it was decided to fall in with the general practice in the University and limit the hours at which the Library was open
a t,44; f-1.Vfl
• F 4-4
-t-, , ,
. „.r-f:' 1.-„, . -,•
Mr. H. L. DRAKE
Mr. L. E. SALT
''' ''''",, ••
.. I . A... , ' '',..' .
",,.... • •
' .,'," ... ',.3,1
to those during which adequate supervision could be provided. The Library is now open during term, in the mornings from i r to 1, and in the evenings from 5 to 7. This restriction has regrettably limited the usefulness of the Library as a place of reading and reference, but has undoubtedly benefited the undergraduate book-borrower who must be regarded as the chief concern of that section of the Library. The scientific sections of the undergraduate library are in process of being considerably enlarged, partly with moneys left for this purpose by the late Dr. W. Ramsden. In Michaelmas Term 1948 the Library was visited for the first time by the Oxford Bibliographical Society, for which a display of the more interesting of the College manuscripts and early printed books was arranged by Mr. F. J. King of this College, now on the staff of Bodleian. Mr. King has been working in the older parts of the Library for some time in connexion with the compilation of a catalogue of books in College Libraries published before 164o, to the publication of which the College has contributed. He has given a good deal of advice and assistance in planning the rearrangement and re-cataloguing of this part of the Library which is now in process. The Library has been enriched since the war by the gift of a valuable collection of books on Shelley by Mr. W. R. Semken, and, further, as the result of a clause in the will of the late Arthur Bayley, whereby the Librarian was empowered to select such books as the Library might care to have bearing on the history of the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. This, together with books already in our possession, will compose a useful small library on the universities which will be housed, together with other collections, e.g. the library of the late G. Birbeck Hill and that of Bishop John Hall, Master and Bishop of Bristol, in the seventeenth century, in the gallery or upper library. It has been found that the damp in its present situation, which has three outside walls, is threatening to damage some of the more valuable books in the Chandler collection, which will therefore be brought back to the gallery of the main library where shelf space will be found for it by putting into store all books published since i 8o I and not either of particular interest or in regular use. It is regrettable that owing to the terms of the
deed of gift the Chandler collection requires so much space. It contains a good number of valuable and useful books, but also much which is either commonplace or out of date. Unfortunately the donor made a condition which required the College to keep everything together and under lock and key as one collection. COLLEGE SOCIETIES Yohnson 7ohnson Society The Johnson Society has continued to meet regularly. In 1948, in celebration of of its its i,000th meeting, i948, in celebration i,000th meeting,a aspecial specialanniveranniversary dinner was held to mark the occasion at which the Master, Mr. S. C. Roberts, now Master of Pembroke College, Cambridge, and Mr. John Betjeman were present. The Master had been present at a similar occasion at the Booth meeting of the Society. Beaumont Society The Beaumont Society has flourished greatly in the last two years; and it, too, is approaching an anniversaryâ€”that of Boothmeeting. meeting. Among Among many many papers papers which which have been its sooth given on diverse subjects, those of T. R. V. Hewitt Jones on `Modern Art', of C. Cooper on 'W. B. Yeats', and of I. M. Yates on 'The History and Traditions of The Times Newspaper' were especially noteworthy. Sir Thomas Browne Society In each of the last three years the Society has produced a play in addition to its usual play-reading meetings. In the two previous years it performed in the J.C.R. but last year Christopher Fry's Fry's A fl Phoenix Too five performances of Christopher Frequent and Jean-Paul Sartre's Men Without Shadows were given in an outside hall. Each performance was played to capacity and for the first time the Society made a profit. Teasel Society The Teasel Society, the College Dining Club, continues to hold its time-honoured meetings, and in the last years has succeeded in showing that the pleasures of the table are still to be enjoyed even in these present austere times. The Society held a dinner on the evening of the College dance in May.
Blackstone Society The Society has continued to flourish during the past two years. The moots which it holds with other college law societies each term provide invaluable training for the future barrister or solicitor. It is always a matter for agreeable surprise that so many eminent members of the Bench and Bar should be prepared to catch the 4.45 from Paddington on Friday evening to preside at one of our moots instead of recuperating at home after a strenuous week in the courts. Their visits give us real encouragement and pleasure. The Society has been privileged to welcome the late Lord Uthwatt, Mr. Justice Finnemore, Mr. Justice Hodson, His Honour A. F. Hildesley, K.C., Mr. J. D. Casswell, K.C., and Mr. N. S. Marsh. At the annual dinner in Hilary Term 1950 the Master, Mr. L. E. Salt, His Honour Judge Done, and Mr. J. D. Casswell, K.C., were present as guests. Camden Society The Camden Society, the College History Society, has enjoyed papers from Professor Feiling, Mr. R. C. K. Ensor, Mr. A. E. Jolliffe, Mr. R. B. MacCallum, Mr. C. H. Wilson, Rev. H. S. Deighton, and Professor Habakkuk, as well as many of its undergraduate members in the last two years. PEMBROKE COLLEGE J.C.R. Art Collection The most notable event of the last three years in the life of the J.C.R. has been the foundation of the Art Collection and its swift progress. The Collection was started in 1947 and the first pictures were bought with the advice of Sir Kenneth Clark who also for a time lent two of his own. Its declared aim was to provide the Common Room with good modern pictures and at the same time to provide in a small way a measure of patronage for modern painters of promise who have yet to achieve fame; but as it has grown it has taken on another purposeâ€” to enable members of the J.C.R. to hire pictures for use in their own rooms. The Collection is managed by a committee of five who submit themselves each year to a vote of confidence, any vacancies being filled by co-option.
Since its inception the Collection has acquired ten pictures and nine lithographs and among the better-known artists represented are John Piper, Duncan Grant, Graham Sutherland, John Minton, and Victor Pasmore. Pembroke is the first college to have founded a collection of this kind, financed and run entirely by the J.C.R. and it has attracted much notice in the national press; and already more than one picture has been lent for exhibition in this country and abroad under the auspices of the Arts Council and British Council, in each case on condition that full acknowledgement is made to its present owners. War Memorial In the Common Room, also, there now stands the J.C.R. War Memorial to those who fell in the late War. It is a sculpture of three abstract figures, the work of Mr. John Harvey. College Concert In Hilary Term 195o 1950 a return to an old tradition was signalized by a College Concert held in Hall. Consisting of madrigals and chamber music, it was a great success; and it is hoped that it will become once more a regular event. Another such concert was held in November 1950. COLLEGE ATHLETICS ROWING Captain: R. J. Drysdale, Hilaryâ€”Trinity 1950. 195o. G. A. Everett, Michaelmas 1950. Secretary: M. Andrews, Hilaryâ€”Trinity 1950. P. G. Harrison, Michaelmas 195o. Torpids (return to six nights) 1950 First Torpid made a net gain of one place, finishing sixth in the First Division. Second Torpid lost three places, finishing thirty-second. Reading Head of the River Race Pembroke started fourth and finished eighth.
Eights First VIII. Made one bump, finishing twelfth in the First Division. Second VIII. At the end of the races had maintained its place of last year at twenty-ninth. Third VIII. Made five bumps, finishing fifty-fifth. Fourth VIII. (Schools VIII) 'got on' at eighty-third, and made six bumps, finishing seventy-seventh. This was the first time Pembroke had had four VIIIs on the river in Eights Week. Reading Regatta A mixture of Second and Third VIIIs was entered as the crew. First Round: beat Reading University B.C. Second VIII by 4 length. Second Round: beaten by Wallingford R.C. by 2 length. Henley First VIII: beaten by A- lengths by Bedford R.C. O.U.B.C. Coxless Fours, 195o First Round: lost to St. Peter's Hall. O.U.B.C. Long Distance VIII Pembroke finished eleventh, equal with Queen's. University Trial VIIIs G. A. Everett and M. Andrews were both tried, but neither was included in the crews finally selected. ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL Captain: P. S. D. Hodgkinson, 1950--i. Secretary: E. G. Crabb, 1950-1. League Matches A side often depleted by O.U.A.F.C. and Centaur matches finished seventh in Division I, scoring fifteen goals against fourteen.
Cuppers Lost in First Round to Hertford College. M. Fowler played as first choice in goal for the University throughout Michaelmas Term, 195o to within a fortnight of the Varsity Match, and C. R. Smailes played for the University until injured. Centaurs in residence are M. H. Fowler, C. R. Smailes, E. G. Crabb, R. F. Craven, J. D. Lloyd. RUGBY FOOTBALL Captain: R. E. Stead. Secretary: D. E. Brewer, Hilary 1949. R. Horsell, Michaelmas 1949. League Matches, Division III Won 1, Lost 4, Drew 1. Other Matches Won 5, Lost 2. Cuppers 1949 Lost to Magdalen in first round. 195o Lost to Queen's 6-3 in first round. Mr. H. Meadowes was awarded a Blue in 1948, and Mr. P. Isola was elected to the Greyhounds. HOCKEY Captain: A. Dupays, Michaelmas 1948. H. C. Gentilli, Hilary 1949. N. J. Coward, Michaelmas 1949. Secretary: H. C. Gentilli, Michaelmas 1948â€”Hilary 1949. J. J. Deave, Michaelmas 1949. Matches 1948-9 Won 3, Lost 7, Drew 1. 1949-5o Won 7, Lost 1o, Drew 2. Cuppers 1949 Lost to Worcester 1-5. Worcester reached the final. Mr. P. G. Mason has been playing for the Occasionals.
CRICKET Captain: T. W. Fielding 1949. 1 949• J. K. Guilor 1950. 195o. 1 949• Secretary: P. S. D. Hodgkinson 1949. W. J. C. Thomas 195o. 1950. Matches Won 4, Lost 2, Tied Tied 1, Drawn 2. The tie was against Trinity Hall, Cambridge—Pembroke 114 for 6, Trinity Hall 114. Hall i14. ATHLETICS 1 949. Captain: J. E. Peckham, Hilary 1949. J. F. Pollard, Trinity—Michaelmas 1949. Secretary: J. T. Moor. Secretary: Cuppers, Hilary 1949 Third in heat of five colleges, first two only going on to final. Cross-Country Cuppers The First V finished third (Magdalen first, Lincoln second). The Second V finished fifteenth. Blues J. F. Pollard, a Blue from the previous year, ran in the Three Mile race against Cambridge, and also in the CrossCountry match against Cambridge at Roehampton. M. Fowler, a freshman, has been elected to the Tortoise Club. A. Packard has been been elected elected to to the the Centipedes.. Centipedes. J. T. Moor and 0. P. Outhwait have several times run for the O.U. Tortoises (University second team). A. Packard won the Three Miles and the High Jump in the Freshmen's Sports. LAWN TENNIS Captain: E. A. Bean 1949. G. M. Batchelor 195o. 1950. Secretary: G. M. Batchelor 1 949. 949• I. Dick 195o.
Cuppers Lost to Trinity (winners of cup) in first round. L. Kitovitz won two rounds in the singles at Wimbledon in 1949 before losing to Cohen (Egypt). SQUASH RACKETS Captain: J. C. Stagnetto, Hilaryâ€”Trinity 1949. G. M. Batchelor, Michaelmas 1949. Secretary: G. M. Batchelor, Hilaryâ€”Trinity 1949. H. S. Harris, Michaelmas 1949. Cuppers Lost to Trinity in the first round. League Matches, Division IV Won two, Lost three. J. E. R. Cousens has played for the O.U. Squirrels. Two matches were played v. Pembroke College, Cambridge. We won at home, lost away. Electric lighting is being installed in the squash courts.
THE COLLEGE SOCIETY The College Society has a membership of nearly 600 but at the last two annual general meetings some anxiety was expressed at the fact that members of the College on going down do not join with the regularity which they showed before the war. At the end of the present academic year every member of the College who is about to leave Oxford will receive a notice inviting him to join. For the benefit of old members who have not yet joined we repeat that membership is obtainable for life on the payment of 1, the subscription to be sent to the Secretary, the Pembroke College Society, Pembroke College, Oxford. The Annual London Dinner has been successfully revived and has been held for the last two years at the Connaught Rooms. The Society is deeply indebted to Mr. A. C. Snowden who has acted as London Secretary for the dinner and has handled the very considerable amount of office and organizing work necessary. At the last dinner the Chairman was Sir Jeremy Raisman, G.C.I.E., Honorary Fellow, and in 1949 Mr. J. D. Caswell, K.C. The dinner used to be held on a Monday, the first day of the University Cricket Match at Lords. Since the war the match has begun on a Saturday and the Committee decided to hold the dinner on the Friday preceding the opening of the match as being the most convenient date. In 195o the dinner was fixed for Friday, 3oth June, as that was, according to the Oxford University Pocket Diary, the eve of the match. The match, however, was eventually held a week later, which was a disappointment to many members. This year the match is expected to begin on Saturday, July 7th, which would put the dinner on Friday, July 6th. Notices will be sent out to members of the Society early in the summer term. The Oxford Society has recently altered its terms of membership. There is an entrance fee of L i and thereafter an annual subscription of I os. Anyone who is already a member of the Pembroke Society and not of the Oxford Society may join the latter with a reduction of the entrance fee from Li to os.
OBITUARIES Addleshaw, Rev. S., 25 January 1951. Addleshaw, Bayley, A. R., 28 April 1948. Corfield, T. H., 21 February 1949. Cross, S. T., i10o January 1950. Davidson, J. M. C., 29 July 1948. Errington, Rev. W. A. May1949. 1949. Hope, Hope,C., C.,sMay Hughes, Rev.Harold, Harold,1is5 February February 1950. , Rev. Hughs Jane, J. H. B., 6 November 1950. Laine, Sir Abraham, 22 February 1948. Langdon, A. M., I March 1949. September 1950. 22 September Lysaght, Rev. J. A. C., 22 Marchant, Sir Stanley, D.Mus., 28 February 1949. Moseley, G. F. W., 24 March 1949. 25 August ugust 1948. Oberle, L. J., 25 1948. Oxley, S. A. N., 29 January 1951. Penfold, Rev. E. W. D., 28 August 1948. Phillips, Rev. L. A., 12 February 1949. Rhys, Rev. G., 13 January 1951. Sargeaunt, J. A. H., 6 March 1950. 1 944Taylor, Rev. J. K., 55 January 1944. Veale, W. G., G. 16 16 February February 1949. Warne, H. V. F. M., 27 February 1950. November 1948. Wilson, Canon C. W. G., 5s November
PRINTED IN GREAT BRITAIN AT THE UNIVERSITY PRESS OXFORD BY CHARLES BATEY PRINTER PRINTER TO THE UNIVERSITY